PDA

View Full Version : Pats trying to move into top 10....

bap454
04-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Pats Trying To Move Into Top Ten
Posted by Mike Florio on April 24, 2009, 1:23 p.m.
Amid a dearth of pre-draft rumors (for now), Peter King of SI.com reports that the Patriots are trying to move into the top ten.

Per King, executives from two different teams said that the Pats have offered their first-round pick and one of their three second-rounders (No. 47 overall) to move into the No. 8 spot, currently held by Jacksonville. Jags G.M. Gene Smith declined the offer.

King says that the Pats might also be trying to trade up to No. 9 with the Packers.

Under the original draft trade chart, the Patsí first-round pick (No. 23 overall) is worth 760 points. The 47th pick is worth 430. The total (I need more toes) is 1,190.

But under the original draft trade chart, the No. 8 spot has a value of 1,400 points. The ninth spot is worth 1,350.

Teams donít trade up simply for the privilege of having a higher pick; they do it because thereís a certain player they want.

Presently, the Patsí target isnít known.

Given that the Patriots apparently hope to cut the line in front of the 49ers at No. 10, the target could be a tackle, like Andre Smith. Or perhaps an outside linebacker, like Brian Cushing.

One thing is clear: the Patriots will do everything they can to keep any possible deal quiet until the pick they want is on the clock. That way, the Pats wonít have to worry about being leapfrogged

what in the heck is going on here!!? Who? I want to know..?

Bronco Boy
04-24-2009, 11:45 AM
I can't think of anyone they would want that bad to move up to 8 or 9.

bap454
04-24-2009, 11:46 AM
What really get me is the fact that the Jags turned it down ....

Bronco Boy
04-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Jags are probably hoping Sanchez is there.

Hotrod
04-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Jags declining screams Sanchez to me no???

**** start the draft already Ha!

elsid13
04-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Jags are probably hoping Sanchez is there.

Or have a better deal in place.

bap454
04-24-2009, 12:00 PM
wow the shannanagins starting already. Here is a link to the full article. A couple of good tidbits.... Raiders on the phone with Maclin, surprise target pick by the pats, a lot of action in the 4 -13 picks range.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/04/24/draft/index.html?eref=si_writers

lex
04-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Jags declining screams Sanchez to me no???

**** start the draft already Ha!

Either that or Jax thinks they will get a lot more in trade than what NE is offering if Sanchez is there.

uplink
04-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Pats may want to get the Jags pick to then deal on draft day thinking someone like Sanchez may drop to there.

HILife
04-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Don't the pats have old LBs. Maybe they are looking at Okrpo (sp) at that spot. They might also be looking at Jackson. I know the Pats have Seymore and Wilfork, but who is the other person.

empulse
04-24-2009, 12:36 PM
If they move to 8 they have to be targetting someone like Tyson Jackson or Orakpo. . .

I was really hoping that Tyson Jackson would be there for us at 12 since I'm sure BJ will be gone . . . This makes me wonder.

Bronco Boy
04-24-2009, 12:44 PM
I don't think Orakpo fits their D at all. Jackson on the other hand I could see...

snowtrx
04-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Weird. I was just trying to figure out who could be on the board at 12 that the Pats would like enough to move up for with 23 & 47. Assuming Raji/Jackson/Orakpo are off the board at 12. Best I can see is OTs Smith/Oher. It would be of great value for NE to consolidate some picks into a premier prospect at OT. I gurantee it will be their best chance of getting one for the rest of TB's carreer.

18: Rey Rey ILB
23: Donald Brown RB
47 & 48: Brace/Barwin/Sintim/Gilbert/Delmas/Chung/Mack/Sidbury/Moore/S.Smith/Wood etc, etc. So many good options and we can get two of them!

El Guapo
04-24-2009, 01:05 PM
If they move to 8 they have to be targetting someone like Tyson Jackson or Orakpo. . .

I was really hoping that Tyson Jackson would be there for us at 12 since I'm sure BJ will be gone . . . This makes me wonder.

You're not allowed to use my avatar.

empulse
04-24-2009, 01:30 PM
You're not allowed to use my avatar.
Sorry. . . I must have missed the fine print where you laid claim on the infamous Bronco eye. . . . . /sarcasm off

Moving on,

So it looks like the Pats have not finalized the renegotiation of Vince Wilfork's contract. . . What if the Pats are moving up to take Raji. Does that mean Wilfork becomes tradeable?

If Wilfork does, are you interested in him? Maybe for the 18th pick?

Not saying I agree, just curious what others think.

ludo21
04-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Im thinking Jenkins is going to drop to us the more and more reports that come out. This would be a good pick at 12.

socalorado
04-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Don't the pats have old LBs. Maybe they are looking at Okrpo (sp) at that spot. They might also be looking at Jackson. I know the Pats have Seymore and Wilfork, but who is the other person.

Last year, The Pats told Brian Cushing that if he came out in the draft, they were taking him with their 1st pick.

I think The pats moved back from 7 to 10 and took Mayo.

socalorado
04-24-2009, 02:15 PM
Sorry. . . I must have missed the fine print where you laid claim on the infamous Bronco eye. . . . . /sarcasm off

Moving on,

So it looks like the Pats have not finalized the renegotiation of Vince Wilfork's contract. . . What if the Pats are moving up to take Raji. Does that mean Wilfork becomes tradeable?

FOR THE 18TH PICK!?!?! HELL TO THE NO!!!

A 3rd.

empulse
04-24-2009, 02:42 PM
FOR THE 18TH PICK!?!?! HELL TO THE NO!!!

A 3rd.

So you are telling me that one of the premiere nose tackles in the league isn't worth the 18th pick in the draft? He is only 27 years old and has started every single game of his professsional career (5 years). He is a 2 gapper, and has the height and weight to push the middle (6-2, 325lbs). We know he has outstanding work ethic, and has plenty of championship experience.

Again, I am not a Wilfork advocate, I just always question why someone would not take a YOUNG, PROVEN player over a player that has the potential to be great in this league. I know that we need a Nose Tackle, and this guy is a monster. I have us taking Jerry at 18 in my mock. . . . But I'd rather have Wilfork with the 18th than Jerry.... I think.

If you line up Raji, Jerry, Brace and Wilfork side by side, and its your turn to pick, and you have to take a Nose, who are you taking?

Anaximines
04-24-2009, 04:07 PM
I'll bet the Pats want Sanchez since they just lost Cassel. Yes, I know it's not "the Patriot way" to draft a QB high like that, but I can't argue with what my gut tells me.

Drek
04-24-2009, 04:55 PM

Moving on,

This is the rumor making the rounds on Sirius at current.

oubronco
04-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Cushing is my guess

elsid13
04-25-2009, 07:56 AM
Boston globe is reporting that Pats want Andre Smith, that why they are attempting to move up.

bap454
04-25-2009, 08:29 AM
Boston globe is reporting that Pats want Andre Smith, that why they are attempting to move up.

That makes sense, for an elite OT. More and more it looks like 4 OT will be taken before we pick. Thats good for us.