PDA

View Full Version : Montrose's "NFL Draft-Eve" 1st round Mock Draft

montrose
04-24-2009, 10:59 AM
1) Lions - Matthew Stafford, QB Georgia - I think they'll have a deal done by tonight or tomorrow morning.

2) Rams - Jason Smith, OT, Baylor - They could throw a wrench in, but I'm guessing they take Smith who can help out immediately and long term.

3) Redskins (via trade with Chiefs) - Mark Sanchez, QB, USC - The Chiefs don't want this pick and the Redskins want Sanchez badly and need to jump Seattle to get him. I'm guessing Daniel Snyder mortgages the future to get him in hopes of recouping a pick or two for Jason Campbell.

4) Seahawks - Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia - With Sanchez gone, I think they do their best to find Walter Jones' heir apparent.

5) Browns - Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest - I think they'd be thrilled beyond belief if Curry fell to their pick at #5.

6) Bengals - Andre Smith, OT, Alabama - I almost went with Michael Crabtree, but I think the combination of a need at OT with Smith being immature makes him a perfect for the Bengals.

7) Raiders - Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland - First semi-shocker of the draft is Bey being the WR off the board. I believe the reports that Al Davis won't be able to pass up on his speed to pair with JaMarcus Russell's arm.

8) Patriots (via trade from Jaguars) - Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU - The rumors are already flying, including by Peter King, that the Patriots want to move into the lower top-10, presumably for Jackson. The Pats have the ammo to do it and the Jags could recoup extra picks after losing many last year in the Derrick Harvey-trade while avoiding paying another top-10 pick.

9) Packers - B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College - I almost went with Brian Orakpo or Everette Brown, but my guess is that the Packers go with the big guy and will look to round two to find a guy that can play across from Aaron Kampman.

10) 49ers - Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech - One of the big fallers in the draft, but more for his attitude than his foot. I think the Browns would like to take him and move Braylon Edwards, but Crabtree's visit went so poorly I don't see it happening. The 49ers get a great value with arguably the draft's best WR at #10.

11) Bills - Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi - With Jason Peters gone, the Bills have an immediate need at OT. They can use their #28 pick for a DE or TE.

12) Broncos - Brian Orakpo, OLB, Texas - The Broncos are thrilled to stay at #12 and land one of the draft's premier athletes and pass rushers to fortify their new 3-4 defense.

13) Chiefs (via trade with Redskins) - Everette Brown, OLB, Florida State - The Chiefs desperately need help rushing the pass rusher and Brown is one of the draft's best.

14) Saints - Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State - The Saints have long struggled filling their CB void. Even with their offseason signings, they need more help in the secondary.

15) Texans - Brian Cushing, OLB, USC - The Texans have a glaring need at OLB and Cushing is a versatile player who could start on the strong-side from day one.

16) Chargers - Aaron Maybin, OLB, Penn State - The Chargers learned last year the value of pass rushers when they lost Shawne Merriman. Maybin is a project they could develop behind Merriman and Shaun Phillips.

17) Jets - Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri - If the Jets can't grab Sanchez, I don't believe they would like Josh Freeman much more than their current crop of QB's. Maclin fills an immediate need as a playmaker at WR.

18) Broncos - Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia - Conventional wisdom says the Broncos should draft another defensive player like Rey Maualuga, Clay Matthews, Peria Jerry or Ziggy Hood. With that, I think the temptation of adding a playmaker like Moreno at #18 would be too much for the Broncos who would look to upgrade the DL in round two.

19) Buccaneers - Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas State - I doubt they're sold on either Luke McCown or Byron Leftwich. Freeman is familiar with Raheem Morris and would be allowed to sit for a season and learn before taking the reigns in 2010.

20) Lions - Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee - While the Lions desperately need help at OT, I think Ayers is too good of a player to pass up at this point in the draft. The Lions can look for an OT, a pass rusher or a MLB at their #33 pick.

21) Eagles - Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State - I think they'd prefer Moreno, but Pettigrew is an outstanding all-round player who fills an immediate need for them.

22) Vikings - Percy Harvin, WR, Florida - The Vikings desperately need to surround themselves with more playmakers to take the pressure of Adrian Peterson. I think they'll overlook Harvin's off-field issues as they did with another WR about a decade ago.

23) Jaguars (via trade with Patriots) - Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC - Maualuga would provide the Jags with an intimidating presence to replace Mike Peterson. The USC product seems like a smashmouth-Jags type of player.

24) Falcons - Peria Jerry, DT, Mississippi - Jerry fills an immediate need for the Falcons who no longer need a TE with the acquisition of Tony Gonzalez.

25) Dolphins - Clay Matthews, OLB, USC - I believe Bill Parcells would be thrilled to pick up a versatile player of Matthews caliber at a position of need this late in the 1st round.

26) Ravens - Darius Butler, CB, Connecticut - I think they'll be tempted by James Laurinaitis, Vontae Davis and Larry English, but my guess is that the Ravens go with the fast-rising Butler who can fill in as a nickle immediately and eventually supplant Samari Rolle.

27) Colts - Ziggy Hood, DT, Missouri - I'd have to imagine Larry Coyer would be thrilled to get a run stuffer like Hood who can help Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney dominate from the outside.

28) Bills - Larry English, DE, Northern Illinois - After filling their OT needs, the Bills get one of the draft's best pass rushing prospects and look for a receiving TE in round two.

29) Giants - Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers - They have an obvious, gaping hole at WR with Plaxico Burress gone. Britt is a similarly skilled player who played at local Rutgers and could come in and compete immediately.

30) Titans - Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois - I don't think his maturity issues will scare off Jeff Fisher who could get the most of out of Davis and develop him to play across from Cortland Finnegan.

31) Cardinals - Donald Brown, RB, Connecticut - Another draft surprise as Brown is selected before Chris Wells. Brown is a better fit for what the Cardinals like to do on offense and fills an immediate need.

32) Steelers - Max Unger, C, Oregon - I could see them selecting a DB but my guess is they go for a guy who could help them at any number of positions on their weakest unit.

Gcver2ver3
04-24-2009, 12:13 PM
good job man...

Rohirrim
04-24-2009, 12:29 PM
I would find that draft very disappointing for the Broncos. My feeling is that Orakpo does not bring anything more to the table than we already have in Dumervil. Moreno is okay, but who needs more RBs? Not the Broncos. We've still got Bobby Turner. Give him Glenn Coffee in the 4th to work with. My dream first three picks for the Broncos right now would be Ayers, Rey and Fili.

As far as the Raider's pick goes, I would love it. Bey has bust written all over him. Another combine warrior. Your top ten I could easily see happening.

Northman
04-24-2009, 12:33 PM
Good try but the Skins really dont have enough ammo to move up that high and i seriously doubt Denver is going to take a QB or RB in the first round. IMO

lostknight
04-24-2009, 01:16 PM
I would much rather grab Ayers at 18 then Moreno. RB was the real problem child of the O last year, but McDaniels has created more problems at QB. Might as well fix the defense, then go bargain hunting.

Traveler
04-24-2009, 01:22 PM
As far as the Raider's pick goes, I would love it. Bey has bust written all over him. Another combine warrior. Your top ten I could easily see happening.

Is DHB The Next Troy Williamson?
Posted by Mike Florio on April 24, 2009, 2:35 p.m.
As pointed out in our latest SportingNews.com item, we see some similarities between the seventh overall pick in the 2005 draft and the guy who could be the seventh overall pick in the 2009 draft.

Troy Williamson had speed in 2005. Darrius Heyward-Bey has speed in 2009. Neither player put up eye-popping numbers in college — in six seasons between them, they racked up a total of zero 1,000-yard seasons.

Williamson, whose best college season actually was better than the best from Heyward-Bey, has to date been a massive bust.

So is DHB headed for the same outcome?

I don’t follow college football closely enough to rank and rate and offer up a scouting report for 250 pro prospects. But I watch enough football at every level to know that great players typically play great, regardless of scheme or personnel or strategy.

If Heyward-Bey was good enough to justify investment of the seventh overall pick in the NFL draft, wouldn’t it be obvious based on his body of work in college?

Instead, his stats scream out “round four.”

Last season, DHB capped his career with 42 catches for 609 yards and five touchdowns. In the very same conference, Hakeem Nicks of North Carolina caught 68 balls for a whopping 1,222 yards and 12 scores.

But, hey, Heyward-Bey can run 40 yards in his pajamas faster than Nicks, by roughly two tenths of a second.

And I saw Nicks destroy the West Virginia defense in the Meineke Car Care Bowl in a way that it hadn’t been destroyed since Calvin Johnson (maybe you’ve heard of him) destroyed the West Virginia defense in the Gator Bowl two years earlier.

In two games against that same 3-3-5 stack defense during the 2006 and 2007 seasons, DHB caught three passes for 56 yards, and five for 49.

Great players play great. During the 2008 college football season, Heyward-Bey didn’t.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Northman
04-24-2009, 01:26 PM
To be fair Heyward-Bey had no Qb at Maryland. I get to see a lot of their games and they were very inconsistent as a whole. But with that said i dont think Darrius will be a premeir WR either. But i think he can be a good ST's returner but not worthy of the 7th overall. But Davis is stupid so he will probably bite.

BroncoMan4ever
04-24-2009, 01:34 PM
please no Orakpo. i just see bust written all over that guy.

Bronco Boy
04-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Would rather have Maybin or Brown as LB in a 3-4.

socalorado
04-24-2009, 02:09 PM
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/matted_mariah/puking.jpg

Paladin
04-24-2009, 04:11 PM
That broad is getting irritating.....

Hotrod
04-24-2009, 04:22 PM
That broad is getting irritating.....

You would think that she would have lost some weight by now.

Rohirrim
04-24-2009, 04:33 PM
You would think that she would have lost some weight by now.

Got a spoon? :P

broncos-rock
04-24-2009, 05:00 PM
I like it and can definitely see it going down that way. If Moreno is there at #18 you just can't pass on him(comparison was to Walter Payton)

BMarsh615
05-17-2009, 10:19 AM
If you wouldn't have had trades in this mock it would have been more accurate than most of the "experts" mocks.

Good job.

thumpc
05-17-2009, 11:44 AM
You nailed Heyward- Bey to the Raiders and Crabtree to the Niners. Spooky.