PDA

View Full Version : Broncos serious about Mark Sanchez (Per Denver Post)

Carmelo15
04-24-2009, 12:58 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_12214434

The Broncos have engaged in discussions regarding a draft trade for USC quarterback Mark Sanchez, according to an NFL source.

In possession of the No. 12 and No. 18 overall picks in the NFL draft, which begins Saturday, the Broncos understand they may have to move up to snag Sanchez, who is drawing interest from several teams. One possible trade partner is the Jacksonville Jaguars, who want to drop down from No. 8 overall.

The problem for the Broncos is teams picking higher than Jacksonville are considering drafting Sanchez with the idea of flipping him in trade. The higher Sanchez is selected, the more lucrative his contract and the less likely the Broncos could afford him.

The Broncos also made preliminary inquiries about Brady Quinn but were told the Cleveland Browns' third-year quarterback was not available for trade.
Apparently, Sanchez made a strong impression Tuesday during a private workout-interview in Los Angeles with Broncos general manager Brian Xanders and offensive coordinator Mike McCoy.

Although the Broncos have several glaring needs on defense, particularly in the front seven of their new 3-4 alignment, there is also sentiment the team should replace Jay Cutler as their franchise quarterback while they have the rare flexibility that comes with having two first-round picks.

Cutler, the Broncos' starting quarterback since the 12th game of the 2006 season and a Pro Bowl selection last season, was granted his request to be traded this month following a falling-out with new coach Josh McDaniels.

In return for sending Cutler to the Chicago Bears, the Broncos received quarterback Kyle Orton and draft picks that include the No. 18 selection and a third-rounder in this year's draft. Even if the Broncos nab Sanchez, Orton could still be their starting quarterback this year.

Orton has one year left on his contract for an affordable $1.095 million, and it's possible the Broncos could retain him for a second season as a restricted free agent. The Broncos also signed another veteran quarterback, Chris Simms, to a two-year contract last month.

It should be noted the Broncos also expressed interest this offseason in acquiring New England quarterback Matt Cassel but ultimately decided against the deal. Cassel wound up getting traded to Kansas City.

Competition for Sanchez could be fierce as the Washington Redskins, New York Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers figure to be interested. But he is not the Broncos' only draft option.

If it's determined the cost for acquiring him is too steep, the Broncos covet several other draft prospects, most notably defensive tackle B.J. Raji, defensive end Tyson Jackson and outside linebacker Brian Orakpo.

One reason the Broncos may balk at moving up to the No. 8 draft spot is the same reason the Jaguars want to move down: money. When both teams picked at the same positions last year, Jacksonville endured a lengthy holdout from defensive end Derrick Harvey before paying him a $17.1 million guarantee while the Broncos signed left tackle Ryan Clady to an $11.4 million guarantee.

That's a $5.7 million difference between the No. 8 and No. 12 spots enough to challenge the Broncos' budget after they committed $106 million to sign 12 new free-agent players this offseason.

SureShot
04-24-2009, 01:00 AM
If we trade up for Sanchez I will freak the **** out.

Carmelo15
04-24-2009, 01:00 AM
If they also inquired about Brady Quinn this looks to me like they werent been very impressed with Simms nor Orton at mini-camp. Let the omane meltdown begin...

robbieopperude
04-24-2009, 01:05 AM
Why is Quinn suddenly off the market is the bigger question. Please don't let this lead to Denver sending the bills a 3rd rounder for Losman.

BroncoBuff
If they also inquired about Brady Quinn this looks to me like they werent been very impressed with Simms nor Orton at mini-camp. Let the omane meltdown begin...

Please NOOOOO ....

The 2010 draft is loaded with quarterbacks, and we'll probably have a pretty decent pick.

SouthStndJunkie

This is no surprise to me.

I looked up average QB in the dictionary the other day and those 2 were pictured as part of the definition.

NFLBRONCO
04-24-2009, 01:07 AM
I can't see Denver trading up to 5 money wise. I know they say 8 but, I think we need higher.

SouthStndJunkie
04-24-2009, 01:09 AM
Watching Orton and Simms pass in mini-camp probably triggered McDaniels migraine.

Carmelo15
04-24-2009, 01:11 AM
Watching Orton and Simms pass in mini-camp probably triggered McDaniels migraine.

LOL That was a good one

24champ
04-24-2009, 01:11 AM
Sanchez?

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/687fea91677be9103defb8dc0b97e8b7.gif

OrangeRising
04-24-2009, 01:12 AM
I love it. I hope it happens, although we really do have so many other high priorities.

NFLBRONCO
04-24-2009, 01:13 AM

ha ha Junkman

I hope IF we do this we don't offer the farm like 12 18 and 2010 pick.

Popps
04-24-2009, 01:18 AM
Yea, I gotta say... spending a high pick on Sanchez would really disappoint me. They're in a great position to build a real football team, here. Pissing away high picks on questionable QBs that we'll have to pay a ton during a season we're clearly not going to the Superbowl seems like a very odd decision.

But, if we're sending out signals that we're interested in him... you have to assume it's because we're not.

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2009, 01:20 AM
I've had the feeling since Tuesday that this is who they're going after. They were to thorough out there in their workout with him for that to be a smokescreen, especially since he's expected to go above us anyway. I bet Pioli in KC is already laughing his ass off at the prospect of us not only losing Cutler but him getting our picks for the trade.

I fear we're now in the hands of a madman. :unamused:

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2009, 01:21 AM
Yea, I gotta say... spending a high pick on Sanchez would really disappoint me. They're in a great position to build a real football team, here. Pissing away high picks on questionable QBs that we'll have to pay a ton during a season we're clearly not going to the Superbowl seems like a very odd decision.

But, if we're sending out signals that we're interested in him... you have to assume it's because we're not.
Like last time?

BroncoBuff
04-24-2009, 01:25 AM
I bet Pioli in KC is already laughing his ass off at the prospect of us not only losing Cutler but him getting our picks for the trade.

I fear we're now in the hands of a madman. :unamused:

We'll see ... Sanchez will go very high, and we'll need to trade BOTH first rounders to move up high enough to take him. If Josh does that, he is a madman ... and we will lose the trade right then and there ... because that's both the 1st we got ... and Orton will be just keeping the seat warm, while Jay was alreay a solid starter. I suppose Sanchez could become a Hall-of-Famer and then we might win the trade in the long run ... but I'm kinda doubting it.

The fact we're even considering Sanchez that high is another big reason why I wish we had some real experience in drafting/personnel ... like Goodman.

24champ
04-24-2009, 01:25 AM

Not only that, but he seems like a 2 year project. 16 games started total? Yikes.

Carmelo15
04-24-2009, 01:26 AM
The Broncos having many needs on defense but QB is one as well make no mistake about it. We get a franchise QB again. We could trade back at 18 to a team in the bottom of the first and pick up a late 2nd/early 3rd. We could still end up with a first day like this:

(Trade #12 and #79 to Jaguars for #8)
(Trade #18 to Titans for #30 and #62)

8. Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
30. Larry English, OLB, NIU
48. Ron Brace, NT, Boston College
62. Fili Moala, DE, USC
84. Victor "Macho" Harris, CB, Virginia Tech

Ratboy
04-24-2009, 01:27 AM

I don't see how anybody could support this move.

SureShot
04-24-2009, 01:28 AM

I'm sure "they" will find a way.

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2009, 01:28 AM

Watch and see.

BroncoBuff
04-24-2009, 01:29 AM

Sanchez is a near-definite Top 5 guy ....

Another reson I would hate this is that we've already seen Mike over-stock the offense and neglect the defense. We should get TWO DEFENSIVE PLAYMAKERS if at all possible. We had the worst defense in the league, and Josh is an offensive "genius." He should be able to put points up without spending both our 1st rounders on an unproven quarterback with just a handful of starts ....

Ratboy
04-24-2009, 01:29 AM
Please NOOOOO ....

The 2010 draft is loaded with quarterbacks, and we'll probably have a pretty decent pick.

Bingo.

Why waste our draft picks on a questionable QB after getting rid of our Pro Bowler? Go with Kyle Orton, stick it out, build up a defense and in 2010, draft Sam Bradford.

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2009, 01:31 AM
The Broncos having many needs on defense but QB is one as well make no mistake about it. We get a franchise QB again. We could trade back at 18 to a team in the bottom of the first and pick up a late 2nd/early 3rd. We could still end up with a first day like this:

(Trade #18 to Titans for #30 and #62)

8. Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
30. Larry English, OLB, NIU
48. Ron Brace, NT, Boston College
62. Fili Moala, DE, USC
84. Victor "Macho" Harris, CB, Virginia Tech
Sanchez is likely heading to the Seahawks at #4, which means we'd need to trade the 18th to get up higher than them in all probability.

OrangeRising
One item to consider, and I'm not sure if it's patronizing or cheap, but isn't there a very large and fast-growing Hispanic community in Denver?

It certainly couldn't hurt the merchandising, now would it?

Ratboy
Sanchez is a near-definite Top 5 guy ....

I pray he is a Seattle QB.

Carmelo15
04-24-2009, 01:32 AM
Bingo.

Why waste our draft picks on a questionable QB after getting rid of our Pro Bowler? Go with Kyle Orton, stick it out, build up a defense and in 2010, draft Sam Bradford.

Dude Sam Bradford is going #1 next year. Unless you plan on being the worst team in the league this year we'll likely have to trade both of our firsts next year just to be able to get him.

BroncoBuff
Bingo.

We are of one mind ... I really like Bradford.

And beware of Chris Simms ... he's damn good, better than he's getting credit for. HE's been out two years, but I used to watch him every week on the ticket (partly because my gf thinks Gruden is "yummy" :oyvey:), and I'm telling you, he is a gamer, a fearless, time-buying, heads-up gamer.

Popps
Not only that, but he seems like a 2 year project. 16 games started total? Yikes.

Well, the obvious analogy would be to Cassel and his lack of experience... but c'mon, you can't keep finding needles in haystacks.

Build a solid defensive core and tighten the offense up before we go dumping high picks on a QB again. We've already seen what happens when you trash a team and try to build it around a high-priced, high-profile 1st round QB.

Look at the 1st round QBs who have had success as of late. Rothlisberger, Rivers and Manning. Every one of those guys came into pretty solid, complete teams with either great running games, great defenses or a little of both.

Even Cassel (while not a first rounder) was clearly at least partially a product of a complete team around him.

McD has to know this. He's watched it in NE for years. The Pats won multiple SBs without first round QBs, and by having complete teams.

I really doubt we go after this guy. But, who knows. I'm pretty bad at predicting our draft picks. I think Mobley was the last first rounder I called correctly before the actual draft.

SureShot
04-24-2009, 01:33 AM
One item to consider, and I'm not sure if it's patronizing or cheap, but isn't there a very large and fast-growing Hispanic community in Denver?

Good call. Merchandising is the key to winning games.

atomicbloke
Boy this offseason has turned into a Raider-like nightmare :(

Popps
Plus, I don't have time to follow college ball as much, but there HAS to be some good project-type QB out there in the middle rounds that we could develop.

SureShot
04-24-2009, 01:34 AM
Well, the obvious analogy would be to Cassel and his lack of experience... but c'mon, you can't keep finding needles in haystacks.

Build a solid defensive core and tighten the offense up before we go dumping high picks on a QB again. We've already seen what happens when you trash a team and try to build it around a high-priced, high-profile 1st round QB.

Look at the 1st round QBs who have had success as of late. Rothlisberger, Rivers and Manning. Every one of those guys came into pretty solid, complete teams with either great running games, great defenses or a little of both.

Even Cassel (while not a first rounder) was clearly at least partially a product of a complete team around him.

McD has to know this. He's watched it in NE for years. The Pats won multiple SBs without first round QBs, and by having complete teams.

I really doubt we go after this guy. But, who knows. I'm pretty bad at predicting our draft picks. I think Mobley was the last first rounder I called correctly before the actual draft.

I want my "change". No more lip service to th edefense, isn't that what was Shanny's downfall?

Ratboy
Seriously, we're going from tons of draft picks to rebuild the defense to drafting a god damn quarterback?

**** that. I was believing into the players talk about believing, but this would just wash everything away. If McDaniels does trade up for Sanchez (or any other QB) it proves that he has no ****ing clue.

footstepsfrom#27
We'll see ... Sanchez will go very high, and we'll need to trade BOTH first rounders to move up high enough to take him. If Josh does that, he is a madman ... and we will lose the trade right then and there ... because that's both the 1st we got ... and Orton will be just keeping the seat warm, while Jay was alreay a solid starter. I suppose Sanchez could become a Hall-of-Famer and then we might win the trade in the long run ... but I'm kinda doubting it.

The fact we're even considering Sanchez that high is another big reason why I wish we had some real experience in drafting/personnel ... like Goodman.
Yeah but who are you to doubt the coach? He's a coach and you're not. ;D

Carmelo15
04-24-2009, 01:35 AM
I would definitely not trade both of our firsts for Sanchez. If he costs that much to get I don't think we would make the move. 12 and 48 at the most in my opinion. Even thats pretty steep. I don't think the Broncos will trade both first for him. No way. They only make a move for him if he falls out of the top 5.

SureShot
04-24-2009, 01:36 AM
I could swallow it if Sanchez fell to 12, bu to move up would be a disaster.

BroncoBuff
04-24-2009, 01:37 AM
Yeah but who are you to doubt the coach? He's a coach and you're not. ;D

NICE! Cross-referencing threads and quotes from earlier today ... :thumbs:

JUST WAIT ... Chris Simms will surprise you, I promise.

SureShot
04-24-2009, 01:39 AM

You must not remember the Chrissy handing us the BigXII championship.

NFLBRONCO
I can't believe Denver would want a top 5 salary.

footstepsfrom#27
Dude Sam Bradford is going #1 next year. Unless you plan on being the worst team in the league this year we'll likely have to trade both of our firsts next year just to be able to get him.
As you said...he's going #1...that's exactly what we want.

SouthStndJunkie
04-24-2009, 01:40 AM

It certainly does not hurt from a business standpoint.

I am sure it is not a big factor....but you can bet that the thought has passed through someone's mind in Dove Valley in reviewing the strengths and opportunities of this possible trade.

NFLBRONCO
04-24-2009, 01:41 AM
I wonder if we did make trade up with 2 #1's if it would be split 09 and 10 #1's not both this year.

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2009, 01:41 AM

How about this nightmare...we trade our picks to make KC better, draft Sanchez and it turns out he doesn't like little hoodie. Hilarious!

SureShot
04-24-2009, 01:44 AM
How about this nightmare...we trade our picks to make KC better, draft Sanchez and it turns out he doesn't like little hoodie. Hilarious!

Would that make Pioli the Big Bad Wolf?

BroncoBuff
You must not remember the Chrissy handing us the BigXII championship.

Hmmmm .... is that maybe a sub-conscious reason why I like him? :~ohyah!:

24champ

I agree, however the axe I have to grind here is we just traded away a QB with lots of talent. Now we might trade up into the top 10 to take a QB with very little experience? That's a huge gamble. We have holes everywhere on defense and the picks would be wisely used in those areas.

NFLBRONCO

OUCH

SureShot
Hmmmm .... is that maybe a sub-conscious reason why I like him? :~ohyah!:

Thats the only positive I can come up with.

Popps
04-24-2009, 01:45 AM
I want my "change". No more lip service to th edefense, isn't that what was Shanny's downfall?

Yep.... and McD and Co. haven't drafted Sanchez yet, so I'm not going to freak out just yet. In reality, I won't freak out at all, considering we have so many first day picks, but I still won't like it.

But, I didn't really like the Royal pick last year at the time, and how wrong was I on that one? So, this stuff is always a crap shoot. As Jim Mora would say... we think we know, but we just don't know.

He looks like a pretty solid prospect. It's weird, though.. does his throwing motion look a little slow or rounded to anyone else? None of the reports seem to mention it, but he just looks like he's got a little too big of a motiion. (Too much wind-up?)

Just doesn't seem like a snappy release. That's nit-picky, but if he's a top 10 pick... it's worth noting.

Steve Prefontaine
04-24-2009, 01:46 AM
The sad part is that I think Denver is ****ed at QB this year. I hate going into this year knowing they don't have a QB that can win games from behind, which is probably going to be the case often this year unless the defense drastically improves. With that said, moving up to take Sanchez would make me want to rip someone's eyes out. I just don't see IT in him.

I want to see those extra picks used on defense.

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2009, 01:46 AM
Would that make Pioli the Big Bad Wolf?
Vegas odds on who wins?

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0408/nfl_u_pioli2_480.jpg

cutthemdown
04-24-2009, 01:47 AM
I know a lot of football fans, hardcore gamblers, people who watch a lot of football, even UCLA fans that think Sanchez has really special skills. His arm is stronger then people think mostly because he is so accurate. He doesn't chuck ball around but is more Montana scary accurate. Good footwork, fast, smart.

If this kid can play qb at a high level we would be stupid to pass on him.

I never bitch about picks unless they are injured players with medical histories. That I do think is stupid.

Sanchez completed what 70% of his passes.

Then again maybe its smokscreen and the player Broncos really wanted to work out was Cushing and Patrick Johnson the WR.

Broncos may be thinking about WR on 2nd day etc and wanted a look. Or are thinking OLB with 18th pick.

In any even no matter who we select I will be excited to see them play. If they become good solid starters it wont matter what position they play, it improves the team.

Carmelo15
04-24-2009, 01:47 AM
As you said...he's going #1...that's exactly what we want.

Yea we turn both of our firsts next year into getting an unproven rookie QB who will get nearly $40M in guaranteed money. Versus moving up to 8 for Sanchez, a guy we already know we like and paying him maybe $17M guaranteed. How is the former scenario more enticing to you? Not trying to start an argument or anything dude, I'm jus sayin getting Sanchez this year makes a lot more sense. We're not gonna trade both first to get him man, if he gets drafted that high we move on with the a defensive draft.

SureShot
04-24-2009, 01:48 AM
Yep.... and McD and Co. haven't drafted Sanchez yet, so I'm not going to freak out just yet. In reality, I won't freak out at all, considering we have so many first day picks, but I still won't like it.

But, I didn't really like the Royal pick last year at the time, and how wrong was I on that one? So, this stuff is always a crap shoot. As Jim Mora would say... we think we know, but we just don't know.

He looks like a pretty solid prospect. It's weird, though.. does his throwing motion look a little slow or rounded to anyone else? None of the reports seem to mention it, but he just looks like he's got a little too big of a motiion. (Too much wind-up?)

Just doesn't seem like a snappy release. That's nit-picky, but if he's a top 10 pick... it's worth noting.

I liked the Royal pick , but thats a big difference in moving multiple picks for a Tommy Maddox clone. We don't need a top notch QB to be successful right Popps? DEFENSE!

24champ
04-24-2009, 01:48 AM

Prefer winning over merchandising concerns...but that's just me. Bowlen might think otherwise.

Popps
04-24-2009, 01:50 AM
I agree, however the axe I have to grind here is we just traded away a QB with lots of talent. Now we might trade up into the top 10 to take a QB with very little experience? .

I actually agree with this in principle, though we probably differ on what actually happened with Cutler leaving Denver. I think ultimately, McDaniels would have preferred to keep him when all was said and done. But, that's very tired subject matter.

Bottom line is, I agree... no matter who was at fault, our fancy-armed QB got away, and to go and try to chase down another one in a guy like Sanchez who may not BE one seems like an odd choice. (Particularly considering the huge needs on D.)

I don't think we'll do it. I think McDaniels believes he can win without a first round draft pick at QB. He's seen it with his own eyes for a long time.

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2009, 01:50 AM
The sad part is that I think Denver is ****ed at QB this year.
Hey don't worry maybe we can still get this guy...

http://campussqueeze.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/losmanpeace8.jpg

24champ
04-24-2009, 01:54 AM
I actually agree with this in principle, though we probably differ on what actually happened with Cutler leaving Denver. I think ultimately, McDaniels would have preferred to keep him when all was said and done. But, that's very tired subject matter.

Bottom line is, I agree... no matter who was at fault, our fancy-armed QB got away, and to go and try to chase down another one in a guy like Sanchez who may not BE one seems like an odd choice. (Particularly considering the huge needs on D.)

I don't think we'll do it. I think McDaniels believes he can win without a first round draft pick at QB. He's seen it with his own eyes for a long time.

I hope you are right.

Popps
I liked the Royal pick , but thats a big difference in moving multiple picks for a Tommy Maddox clone. We don't need a top notch QB to be successful right Popps? DEFENSE!

I didn't like the Royal pick, solely because our D was such a wasteland. Taking what looked like a novelty, midget wide receiver that high with a crap-can defense seemed really questionable. But, he turned out to be a fantastic player and one of my favorites.

Though, I suppose in one sense... my concerns of not having enough defensive talent still played out.

I think you need a smart, talented QB to win. I don't think it has to be a fantasy football hero or the next Joe Montana. I don't have nearly enough background on Sanchez to know if he's a potential Pro Bowl QB, but my feeling from the reports and watching videos is that we can probably develop someone in the middle rounds or draft QB next year.

This team just needs to be built properly. I'm 100% behind the new staff, but McD needs to bring the Pats philosophy to Denver and get a solid foundation in here before tinkering with high round skill players.

Williams
If the price is #12 and a 3rd rounder, why not? All things considered, we'd essentially be dumping a talented young QB who didnt want to be a Bronco to gain a talented young QB who would want to be a Bronco, Kyle Orton, and another 1st rounder next year. Not such a bad deal, really.

Now, if the price is two firsts... Sanchez had better pay off immediately.

NFLBRONCO
04-24-2009, 01:56 AM

New coaches want their guys to develop from scratch. An O coach focusing on D only yeah right. The way this offseason has gone we might revamp our O first this year and D next year.

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2009, 01:57 AM
Yea we turn both of our firsts next year into getting an unproven rookie QB who will get nearly $40M in guaranteed money. Versus moving up to 8 for Sanchez, a guy we already know we like and paying him maybe $17M guaranteed. How is the former scenario more enticing to you? Not trying to start an argument or anything dude, I'm jus sayin getting Sanchez this year makes a lot more sense. We're not gonna trade both first to get him man, if he gets drafted that high we move on with the a defensive draft.
Ask Taco about the wisdom of saying "We won't do _____".

Why would I want this? Easy. Bradford's a certified stud who would easily go #1 in this draft, a guy who won the Heisman as a Sophmore. Sanchez wasn't even considred more than a mid to late 1st rounder until the last few weeks. Next year's draft is stronger, including the QB's.

NFLBRONCO
04-24-2009, 01:57 AM
If the price is #12 and a 3rd rounder, why not? All things considered, we'd essentially be dumping a talented young QB who didnt want to be a Bronco to gain a talented young QB who would want to be a Bronco, Kyle Orton, and another 1st rounder next year. Not such a bad deal, really.

Now, if the price is two firsts... Sanchez had better pay off immediately.

I'm thinking it will be 09 #1 and 10 #1 and us still having 18. A 12 and a 3rd is a no brainer.

Popps
04-24-2009, 02:00 AM
New coaches want their guys to develop from scratch. An O coach focusing on D only yeah right. The way this offseason has gone we might revamp our O first this year and D next year.

Well, I don't necessarily think the offense needs to be revamped. They're just learning a new system. We added some depth at RB, and that's basically it.
Obviously, no matter who starts at QB... they have to learn our new system.

But, defensively, we were starting from scratch, anyway. We had an aging Champ Bailey and not much else. But, we added a great player in Dawkins, some role players and rotation guys for the line, and I truly believe the 3-4 will be better suited to a few of our players' skill-sets. Add to that the results of this draft, and you have the makings of a re-built defense.

I just can't buy the logic of taking a questionable QB that high as opposed to one of the best LBs or DLs in all of college football. (For instance.)

footstepsfrom#27
I'm thinking it will be 09 #1 and 10 #1 and us still having 18. A 12 and a 3rd is a no brainer.
No way would I touch that #1 next year. It's going to be a stronger draft and we'll finish in the top 10 in all probability. 12 and 18 would still be stupid but at least we'd be going quickly with a shot to the head instead of bleeding out from a gut shot.

Popps

Why would I want this? Easy. Bradford's a certified stud who would easily go #1 in this draft, a guy who won the Heisman as a Sophmore. Sanchez wasn't even considred more than a mid to late 1st rounder until the last few weeks. Next year's draft is stronger, including the QB's.

Yep, I've read reports and watched vids that had him going as late as the second round.

Vegas_Bronco
04-24-2009, 02:02 AM
Vegas odds on who wins?

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0408/nfl_u_pioli2_480.jpg

Q: Who Wins?
A: Not Denver!

Damn, I'd love to see us build our defense with a stud SS/LB or DT/DE in the first round and wait for next season to pick up Florida Superman....or a better prospect.

Please do not SCREW the Broncos with this draft! It may determine our fate for many generations to come. THIS WEEKEND will be the beginning of whether the trade for Cutler was right or tragically wrong. I hate to see us spinning our wheels trying to do the right thing.

- If we have another ****ty draft....Denver will be baked for years to come.

Vegas_Bronco
04-24-2009, 02:05 AM
USC Quaterbacks:

Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, Sean Salisbury, Rodney Peete, Pat Haden, Matt Cassel, Bill Nelsen, Pete Beathard, Vince Evans, Paul McDonald, Todd Marinovich, Rob Johnson.

= so basically, there's been 1 decent prospect from this smoke and mirrors school? I pray we don't bite on the USC BS!

NFLBRONCO
04-24-2009, 02:06 AM
Well, I don't necessarily think the offense needs to be revamped. They're just learning a new system. We added some depth at RB, and that's basically it.
Obviously, no matter who starts at QB... they have to learn our new system.

But, defensively, we were starting from scratch, anyway. We had an aging Champ Bailey and not much else. But, we added a great player in Dawkins, some role players and rotation guys for the line, and I truly believe the 3-4 will be better suited to a few of our players' skill-sets. Add to that the results of this draft, and you have the makings of a re-built defense.

I just can't buy the logic of taking a questionable QB that high as opposed to one of the best LBs or DLs in all of college football. (For instance.)

I don't think so either about a top 5 QB but, honestly I won't assume anything this year.

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2009, 02:06 AM
.But, defensively, we were starting from scratch, anyway. We had an aging Champ Bailey and not much else. But, we added a great player in Dawkins, some role players and rotation guys for the line, and I truly believe the 3-4 will be better suited to a few of our players' skill-sets. Add to that the results of this draft, and you have the makings of a re-built defense.
Sounds almost exactly like Shanny's strategy...substitue Lynch for Dawkins, and change the names of those "role players and rotation guys" and stick Bate's system in there instead of the 3-4...you get:

BOB SLOWICK!!! :rofl:

Carmelo15
04-24-2009, 02:07 AM

Just because he's a #1 overall prospect doesn't mean he's better than Sanchez. Stafford is going #1 and half the teams don't even have him as their #1 QB. Many teams, as do I, prefer Sanchez over Stafford. Bradford is good but no thanks to paying $40M guaranteed to an unproven QB. Ceritified stud or not, no first round QB is immune to busting.

BroncoBuff
04-24-2009, 02:09 AM
It's gotta be a smokescreen, it's gotta be.

Makes ZERO sense, even if Sanchez were a Cutler-like stud.

Both Orton and Simms have had some success as starters, at least one of them certainly will excel for this QB-developing offensive prodigy coach.

NFLBRONCO
04-24-2009, 02:09 AM
No way would I touch that #1 next year. It's going to be a stronger draft and we'll finish in the top 10 in all probability. 12 and 18 would still be stupid but at least we'd be going quickly with a shot to the head instead of bleeding out from a gut shot.

I was thinking Bears pick not ours but, your right I'd not mess with either.

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2009, 02:11 AM
USC Quaterbacks:

Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, Sean Salisbury, Rodney Peete, Pat Haden, Matt Cassel, Bill Nelsen, Pete Beathard, Vince Evans, Paul McDonald, Todd Marinovich, Rob Johnson.

= so basically, there's been 1 decent prospect from this smoke and mirrors school? I pray we don't bite on the USC BS!
You forgot Rodney Peete. ;D

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2009, 02:14 AM
Just because he's a #1 overall prospect doesn't mean he's better than Sanchez. Stafford is going #1 and half the teams don't even have him as their #1 QB. Many teams, as do I, prefer Sanchez over Stafford. Bradford is good but no thanks to paying $40M guaranteed to an unproven QB. Ceritified stud or not, no first round QB is immune to busting.
Why don't you post a poll in here to see whether people would rather have Sanchez or Bradford?

Sanford, BTW...may not go #1 after all. He could even drop to us at 12.

24champ
04-24-2009, 02:15 AM

Both Orton and Simms have had some success as starters, at least one of them certainly will excel for this QB-developing offensive prodigy coach.

Who was it that was saying that drafting Sanchez would buy McDaniels more time as a HC in Denver?

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2009, 02:18 AM

Hasn't the phrase, "makes zero sense" pretty much defined things so far?

Why attempt a smokescreen 3 days before the draft over a guy who will be gone 8 picks before your turn? I could see this if they were drafting 3rd....but not 12th.

Carmelo15
04-24-2009, 02:20 AM
Why don't you post a poll in here to see whether people would rather have Sanchez or Bradford?

Sanford, BTW...may not go #1 after all. He could even drop to us at 12.

I could make a poll but in all likelihood Bradford would win. But it doesn't matter because only McDaniels and Xanders opinions are the ones that carry weight.

Stafford ain't gonna drop to #12. Lets be real now.

Carmelo15
04-24-2009, 02:21 AM
Who was it that was saying that drafting Sanchez would buy McDaniels more time as a HC in Denver?

Mike Mayock

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2009, 02:25 AM
I could make a poll but in all likelihood Bradford would win. But it doesn't matter because only McDaniels and Xanders opinions are the ones that carry weight.

Stafford ain't gonna drop to #12. Lets be real now.
Actually he could if the Lions take Curry #1. NFL Channel was discussing that exact scenario tonight. Anyway...about the money I don't care we should get the best QB possible. If you were Cleveland Brown fan would you have swapped Kosar for Elway? Duh. You always go after the best talent possible if you want to win.

Carmelo15
04-24-2009, 02:33 AM
Actually he could if the Lions take Curry #1. NFL Channel was discussing that exact scenario tonight. Anyway...about the money I don't care we should get the best QB possible. If you were Cleveland Brown fan would you have swapped Kosar for Elway? Duh. You always go after the best talent possible if you want to win.

If he fell to #12 thats fine. We can either take him or use the highly touted pick as trade bait. But now you're comparing Bradford to Elway so this argument is getting silly.

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2009, 02:36 AM
If he fell to #12 thats fine. We can either take him or use the highly touted pick as trade bait. But now you're comparing Bradford to Elway so this argument is getting silly.
No I'm comparing going after the best talent you can get to settling for a guy who costs less money.

Carmelo15
04-24-2009, 02:39 AM
You see getting Sanchez as settling and I dont. Thats where our opinions differ. End of discussion.

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2009, 02:41 AM
You see getting Sanchez as settling and I dont. Thats where our opinions differ. End of discussion.
So just to be clear here, you're more in favor of trading 12 and 18 now for Sanchez than using the picks next year for ammo to get Bradford? Just want to make sure I'm hearing this correctly.

Carmelo15
04-24-2009, 02:49 AM
So just to be clear here, you're more in favor of trading 12 and 18 now for Sanchez than using the picks next year for ammo to get Bradford? Just want to make sure I'm hearing this correctly.

Absolutely not. I'm not in favor of trading 12 and 18 for Sanchez at all. I posted that earlier in this thread (See post #36). If Sanchez slips to 8 and we can move 12 and 79 to get him, I say do it. The absolute most I would be ok with is #12 and #48 to get him and even thats pretty steep for my taste.

BroncoMan4ever
04-24-2009, 03:07 AM
I can't see Denver trading up to 5 money wise. I know they say 8 but, I think we need higher.

i agree. but if Sanchez does in fact fall out of the top 5 it won't surprise me at all to see us make a deal with Cleveland, to trade up and get Sanchez. i think it will be a major mistake, but so far the majority of McDaniels decisions have been mistakes in my mind this offseason.

so with that in mind and the fact that this has been a very strange offseason, i am going to hope for the best that Raji or Jackson are available to us, but expect the worst, and see us trading 2-1st rounders for Sanchez

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2009, 03:22 AM
The idea that we're going to get Sanchez because he slips to us or we move up to #8 or something...isn't realistic. Even if you believe that Seattle wouldn't take him at #4...a longshot...in all likelihood whoever is dealing with Denver is going to insist on both #1's or else one this year and one next year. Either way we won't know who else is bidding so we're at a severe disadvantage. How bizarre...teams are frantically trying to deal out of the top ten and we almost publicly come out and identify the one guy we want in the top 10 who teams would have to give up more to get. Big surprise...we'll get robbed.

If nothing else...even if this is some knd of weird misguided smokescreen...and we're actually drafting defense...what does all this tell Orton about whether McD has confidence in him or not? A few days ago he's the perfect fit...now we're courting a rookie we might have to sacrifice our top picks to get?

We seem to be going in circles.

bpc
04-24-2009, 04:49 AM
...but I thought McDaniels was the savior and he was going to turn water into wine at QB? Wasn't that the whole point of pissing off Jay and driving him to Chicago?

Broncoman13
04-24-2009, 05:21 AM

Cassel is a piss poor comparison. He was picked like #208 while we're talking about taking Sanchez at #8. HUGE difference. I actually like Sanchez though. If was quite pleased when I heard about his arm strength being much better than expected. He is a smart kid that is very media savvy and a team leader. Rally the troops type that connects with fans and players alike. That would be a welcome change. And he isn't accustomed to being the king of the neighborhood. At USC he was very much one of the guys in terms of talent and popularity. You could easily argue that guys like Maualuga, Cushings, Mathews Jr, and Mays were the stars of that team... yet Sanchez was still the leader.

The best thing that could happen for us right now, Aaron Curry goes #1 instead of Mathew Stafford. That would likely help us to land Sanchez at #8. The good news though. If we trade into that 8 spot, we have a lot of options. Pretty much guaranteed a shot at one of the following: Tyson Jackson, BJ Raji, Brian Orakpo, and Mark Sanchez. At 12 we could have to "settle" for Cushing or Maualuga.

elsid13
04-24-2009, 05:26 AM
The idea that we're going to get Sanchez because he slips to us or we move up to #8 or something...isn't realistic. Even if you believe that Seattle wouldn't take him at #4...a longshot...in all likelihood whoever is dealing with Denver is going to insist on both #1's or else one this year and one next year. Either way we won't know who else is bidding so we're at a severe disadvantage. How bizarre...teams are frantically trying to deal out of the top ten and we almost publicly come out and identify the one guy we want in the top 10 who teams would have to give up more to get. Big surprise...we'll get robbed.

If nothing else...even if this is some knd of weird misguided smokescreen...and we're actually drafting defense...what does all this tell Orton about whether McD has confidence in him or not? A few days ago he's the perfect fit...now we're courting a rookie we might have to sacrifice our top picks to get?

We seem to be going in circles.

They can insistence on both number #1 but that not going to happen. At the end it will take the 12th and one of the thirds to move up. Washington out of the running because they don't have the players or draft picks to make a move, unless they pull a Ricky Williams trade this season and throw in #1 for next. Even Danny boy isn't that stupid. While the Jets are further behind the curve.

If Denver wants to move up it has the ability and won't waste all it's draft picks to do so. I strongly expect that with rumor for trades for Moss, Crowder, Scheffer that the FO is seeking late round draft choices to move up.

elsid13
04-24-2009, 05:31 AM
BTW I think Nolan and his stance might be more happy with Thomas and Peterson and Powell then people think on this board.

uplink
04-24-2009, 05:33 AM
Heard that his own coach at USC Carrol claimed in a press conference that Sanchez was not ready for the NFL yet.

-Via Sports radio station here in D.C. where a Sanchez trade-up is being discussed.

yerner
04-24-2009, 05:37 AM
its just so stupid it can't happen.

Drek
04-24-2009, 05:44 AM
I'll believe it when I see it.

This article has pretty much zero cred when 1. every Denver area reporter has pretty clearly shown they have no sources left in the FO anymore and 2. it claims Quinn isn't on the market when over a dozen national level reporters have said that he has been shopped.

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2009, 05:48 AM
They can insistence on both number #1 but that not going to happen. At the end it will take the 12th and one of the thirds to move up. Washington out of the running because they don't have the players or draft picks to make a move, unless they pull a Ricky Williams trade this season and throw in #1 for next.
Of course they can throw in next year's #1, and why wouldn't they? They've done so in the past with Denver. The Sanchez hype is driving the market higher. For all we know a smart GM like Pioli could get Opie bidding against himself. We could easily give 2 #1's for this guy.
Even Danny boy isn't that stupid.
Just pray Sanchez doesn't drink.

montrose
04-24-2009, 05:50 AM

I brought this up in a thread a few weeks ago. While certainly not the reason to select any player, I do think Sanchez's connection with Colorado's prevalent Hispanic community could help stir a buzz and possibly prevent some young Coloradoans from becoming Raiders fans.

As a side benefit, Sanchez's ethnicity as a Mexican-American could help the Broncos capture significant interest from the local fan base in Colorado that has (to my knowledge) one of the five-highest percentages of Hispanics in the country. Considering the popularity of former local athletes like the Rockies' Vinny Castilla and the Nuggets' Eduardo Najera, I imagine Sanchez would be a local hero as the QB of the Broncos. I could see this possibly swaying younger Hispanic fans in Colorado to support the Broncos instead of the Raiders as has often been the case in the past. And for those not living in the area, you may be interested to know that the Broncos last season released one of their black-shadow jerseys of one Glenn Martinez. Yes, that Glenn Martinez. And the jersey was a popular seller to my eyes as I've noticed many Hispanic fans wearing them around town.
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2361633&postcount=12

With that, I just doubt we have the desire to do what's necessary in moving up to get him without sacrificing a chance to strongly rebuild our defense.

UberBroncoMan
04-24-2009, 05:50 AM
Yay lets trade Cutler and use our picks to draft an unproven QB... YAY!

****ing stupid **** here. Stick with Orton and jump on next years QB and DT draft without having to sacrifice ****.

uplink
04-24-2009, 05:53 AM
Maybe the broncos are deciding the best option is to keep the hype going over Sanchez and hope that the trade windfall via Synder/Jets happens for the Rams and not the Chefs.

BMarsh615
04-24-2009, 05:57 AM
Hmmmmm...... What team is stupid enough to let the entire NFL know who they want on draft day? McDaniels might have made a few dumb mistakes but I don't think he is retarded.

elsid13
04-24-2009, 06:02 AM
its just so stupid it can't happen.

You need to look at this way. It so incredibly stupid that most likely will happen. Never underestimate how stupid someone will be when they fall in love with something.

Broncoman13
04-24-2009, 06:05 AM
I'm fine with moving up to #8. I think a 3rd is about right too. Considering the Jags can still get a fine player at #12 AND they save about $5m. For the Broncos, it gives us a shot at Orakpo, Jackson, or Raji.

Elsid brings up a good point about the Broncos being more comfortable with Kenny Peterson, Carlton Powell, and Marcus Thomas than we know. If that is the case, then Tyson Jackson is out as is Ziggy Hood and we can focus on DT and LB help. That is a good thing for the Broncos b/c Hood and Jackson are the only two I see providing immediate help.

baja
04-24-2009, 06:08 AM
Here's a thought KC takes Sanchez at 3 and trades Cassel and his 14 million salary to us.....

elsid13
04-24-2009, 06:12 AM
I'm fine with moving up to #8. I think a 3rd is about right too. Considering the Jags can still get a fine player at #12 AND they save about $5m. For the Broncos, it gives us a shot at Orakpo, Jackson, or Raji.

Elsid brings up a good point about the Broncos being more comfortable with Kenny Peterson, Carlton Powell, and Marcus Thomas than we know. If that is the case, then Tyson Jackson is out as is Ziggy Hood and we can focus on DT and LB help. That is a good thing for the Broncos b/c Hood and Jackson are the only two I see providing immediate help.

I think Jackson is getting to much hype. He not Seymor like folks are comparing him to, he more like the Luis Castillo of SD then any other player in the league. While Hood is great fit for Tampa Two UT but not a 3/4 end.

Also Denver never brought Jackson in for a workout. They were at the LSU pro day but it seems they spent more time with Marlon Favorite (personnel workout) then Jackson.

baja
04-24-2009, 06:15 AM
If we were serous about Sanchez McD would have drug his ass out to California to see him workout. A first year coach is not going to let someone else make this call for him no way no how....

elsid13
04-24-2009, 06:23 AM
If we were serous about Sanchez McD would have drug his ass out to California to see him workout. A first year coach is not going to let someone else make this call for him no way no how....

Not really. They most likely taped the workout and interview, and he had his trusted OC and GM there to follow the script that he want to put Sanchez through. Plus I am sure that the entire scouting department, offense coaching staff and Mcdaniles have looked at all Sanchez's game tapes.

There really was no need for McKid to be there.

baja
04-24-2009, 06:33 AM
Of course they would tape the workout and interview I still think he would have made an yeomen's effort to be there. This will make or break him as a HC in Denver. He would be a fool to not be there in person to conduct the interview at least.

titan
04-24-2009, 06:36 AM
Depends on how much the Broncos have to give up to move up, but I do like one part of this. It tells me McDaniels/Xanders have a "best player available" type of strategy to the draft, and not drafting from need. Shanahan's worst draft mistakes were when he targeted a position in the first round the team had to have (Middlebrooks, Moss, etc) and his best picks were drafting best player available, regardless of position, when talent was available (Cutler, Royal,etc)

worm
04-24-2009, 06:37 AM
I just can't believe this article represents the feelings of the Broncos 'braintrust'.

Why trade Jay to Chicago, then? If Sanchez is the one player you coveted...you could have held out until this weekend for a Cleveland trade or pulled the trigger on a Detroit deal for #1 to assure yourself of getting him.

I just can't believe that our FO would be stupid enough to play it this way.

Giving up the best asset on the team for two mid to low round 1sts and then using that ammo in a bidding war to get up to a top 5 pick to acquire a total 16 game college starter.

Madness.

dbfan21
04-24-2009, 06:42 AM
Sanchez?

That's awesome! I really want the Broncos to target DEFENSE!!! Enough of the offensive picks, let's get defensive for once!!

baja
04-24-2009, 06:45 AM
I just can't believe this article represents the feelings of the Broncos 'braintrust'.

Why trade Jay to Chicago, then? If Sanchez is the one player you coveted...you could have held out until this weekend for a Cleveland trade or pulled the trigger on a Detroit deal for #1 to assure yourself of getting him.

I just can't believe that our FO would be stupid enough to play it this way.

Giving up the best asset on the team for two mid to low round 1sts and then using that ammo in a bidding war to get up to a top 5 pick to acquire a total 16 game college starter.

Madness.

Exactly.

If this is a smoke screen to to force a team to trade up to get Sanchez with a team that likely was going to take a player we really want than it is brilliant pre draft strategy

worm
04-24-2009, 06:48 AM
Exactly.

If this is a smoke screen to to force a team to trade up to get Sanchez with a team that likely was going to take a player we really want than it is brilliant pre draft strategy

I would feel much better about our leadership team if this was the case.

Rohirrim
04-24-2009, 06:54 AM
Here's another thought: The new Broncos leadership and the local press do not know each other. If we're going to assume that McD is going to carry on with some of what he learned in New England, then this is a classed Belichick misdirection and the local press has no clue what the Broncos are going to do. I like Sanchez. I would not be one of the ones weeping if he came here. On the other hand, in my mock I have the Broncos walking away with Ayers and Maualuga. Sanchez will be a franchise QB if he gets a couple of years to sit and learn. Ayers and Rey could start kicking ass in September.

elsid13
04-24-2009, 07:00 AM
Here's another thought: The new Broncos leadership and the local press do not know each other. If we're going to assume that McD is going to carry on with some of what he learned in New England, then this is a classed Belichick misdirection and the local press has no clue what the Broncos are going to do. I like Sanchez. I would not be one of the ones weeping if he came here. On the other hand, in my mock I have the Broncos walking away with Ayers and Maualuga. Sanchez will be a franchise QB if he gets a couple of years to sit and learn. Ayers and Rey could start kicking ass in September.

You do realize that Denver has only brought in one ILB for workout right. And that was Little Animal from OSU. The majority of DE/LB have been outside backers. It looks to me that they are more concerned with fulling the OLB spots then adding to interior positions. I would rule Rey-Rey out of their draft plans.

HEAV
04-24-2009, 07:01 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~debale/sadf/smokescreen.jpg

It's a smoke screen.

Rohirrim
04-24-2009, 07:01 AM
You do realize that Denver has only brought in one ILB for workout right. And that was Little Animal from OSU. The majority of DE/LB have been outside backers. It looks to me that they are more concerned with fulling the OLB spots then adding to interior positions. I would rule Rey-Rey out of their draft plans.

Yeah. I remember how hard Shanahan used to work out his picks. ROFL!

elsid13
04-24-2009, 07:09 AM
Yeah. I remember how hard Shanahan used to work out his picks. ROFL!

Different regime and Shanahan did workout the later round players.

Look at the folks they brought in/workout you will see a pattern of interest

Offense

QB - 4
RB - 6
WR -5 (forgot South Carolina Wr they just worked out0
TE - 1
C- 2
OG -1
T -0
K -2

Defense
DT/NT - 5
OLD/DE -10 (most DE would move to LBs in pros)
DE - 0
ILB - 1
CB -5
S -4
P-0

Look like they are looking for outside backer at this point.

socalorado
04-24-2009, 07:12 AM

I think they had Cushing in too.

elsid13
04-24-2009, 07:14 AM
I think they had Cushing in too.

They did, but I am treating him as OLB (strong side) at this point. I think he fits that role better then ILB for Nolan's hybrid defense.

ND Bronco Fan
04-24-2009, 07:22 AM
Why not throw out everything you have to make people believe that you are in love with Sanchez in that #8 spot when in reality you plan on trading up to #8 to get Raji right out from under Green Bay's nose. I still think Raji goes to Green Bay and if they get wind Denver is planning on moving up for him it make is it harder for Denver to get the guy they really want.

This is just how I see it. There is way too many qb's next year and like someone else said earlier that I agree with, Mcdaniels thinks his system will make anyone a pro bowl qb so he does not need one.

footstepsfrom#27
04-24-2009, 07:23 AM
Unless of course he anticipated opposing GM's would think this way and assume he wasn't serious about getting Sanchez...of course they might also think he was serious but was trying to throw them off by making them think he wasn't. Or they might think...

Naw...he just had a headache.

TonyR
04-24-2009, 07:24 AM
For the record I'm against moving up to get Sanchez, but the hypocrisy around here is hilarious. Some of the same people ripping McD for possibly going after Sanchez are the same people who used Mayock's comments that we had to go after Sanchez to rip him. You can't have it both ways, guys.

oubronco
04-24-2009, 07:28 AM

well you seen how poeple have been supporting "McDyckhead's" moves towards Cutler, why could you not see them supporting this?

Hercules Rockefeller
04-24-2009, 07:30 AM
It's the day before the draft, I can't believe anyone here actually believes what is being written right now.

I'd focus on the money issue in that article, it's the reason people don't have to worry about this being a move into the Top 5 if it happens. Denver would have to be willing to shell out a signing bonus for a guy who has played 0 NFL snaps and is going to get almost as much guaranteed as Haynesworth did, someone that the front office was very clear that they could not afford him. I'm not even sure if Pat wants them to move to 8, the guaranteed money to #12 and #18 last years was about $20M between the 2.

rugbythug
04-24-2009, 07:30 AM
Personally I think the real case is:

The Broncos Want Raji. They are trading with and around other teams who want Raji. If it is known that they want Raji they could induce the Pack to trade up. By cloaking their intention in a QB they could move up and grab the guy they truly want.

UboBronco
04-24-2009, 07:40 AM

I agree with this, and another point to add to this, if we do stink next year because the defense is not improved enough, we will have a pick where we can get the stud defensive player, and not "hope" he slips down the board... And with luck, the Bears will struggle next year also, and we have 2 higher picks... So turning mid-round one picks to a franchise QB, I have no problem with..... I know, alot of you say he is not a franchise QB, but most of those people are the same ones who said the same thing about Cutler... So lets hope for the best..

Also, this way I only have to take the name off of my #6 jersey, and it still holds it's value... :wiggle:

bronco militia
04-24-2009, 07:46 AM

tell pat to buy them a taco....wtf!

LOL

eddie mac
04-24-2009, 07:50 AM
It's just local reporters flinging **** against a wall attempting to get a sticker and thus a scoop.

dbfan21
04-24-2009, 07:54 AM
Why not throw out everything you have to make people believe that you are in love with Sanchez in that #8 spot when in reality you plan on trading up to #8 to get Raji right out from under Green Bay's nose. I still think Raji goes to Green Bay and if they get wind Denver is planning on moving up for him it make is it harder for Denver to get the guy they really want.

This is just how I see it. There is way too many qb's next year and like someone else said earlier that I agree with, Mcdaniels thinks his system will make anyone a pro bowl qb so he does not need one.

Excellent point! The draft is a game of high stakes poker...everyone knows that. There is no way the FO is tipping their hand to knuckleheads like Kizsla. They have a much better plan in place.

barryr
04-24-2009, 08:01 AM
I call it a BS story. People assume that since the Broncos traded Cutler so they must be after a QB in this draft and ring up any and all scenarios to make that be the case.

Beantown Bronco
04-24-2009, 08:02 AM
Personally I think the real case is:

The Broncos Want Raji. They are trading with and around other teams who want Raji. If it is known that they want Raji they could induce the Pack to trade up. By cloaking their intention in a QB they could move up and grab the guy they truly want.

x2

Gcver2ver3
04-24-2009, 08:12 AM

good point...

if you ever come to Florida, i'm buying you a donut...

TonyR
04-24-2009, 08:15 AM
if you ever come to Florida, i'm buying you a donut...

Do you still have Krispy Kreme down there? They shut them all down up here. Very sad.

kamakazi_kal
04-24-2009, 08:16 AM
wouldn't this be consided Mcd fixing his own screw up? He already had a good young know QB. He trades him and uses the compensation to pick a talent QB with 16 whole games of experience and gives him a big ol' fat rookie contract.

WTF I can't see how anyone could feel good about this.

rugbythug
04-24-2009, 08:21 AM
wouldn't this be consided Mcd fixing his own screw up? He already had a good young know QB. He trades him and uses the compensation to pick a talent QB with 16 whole games of experience and gives him a big ol' fat rookie contract.

Did you read any of the other posts?

Rohirrim
04-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Different regime and Shanahan did workout the later round players.

Look at the folks they brought in/workout you will see a pattern of interest

Offense

QB - 4
RB - 6
WR -5 (forgot South Carolina Wr they just worked out0
TE - 1
C- 2
OG -1
T -0
K -2

Defense
DT/NT - 5
OLD/DE -10 (most DE would move to LBs in pros)
DE - 0
ILB - 1
CB -5
S -4
P-0

Look like they are looking for outside backer at this point.

Yeah, it's a new regime. Which means neither you, me, the press or anybody on the OM knows what they're up to.

Let the drama continue.

kamakazi_kal
04-24-2009, 08:25 AM
Did you read any of the other posts?

ha ha ...... no, i'm disguntled.

Nothing makes me happy right now but 2 D line picks at 12 and 18.

Kaylore
04-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Yeah, it's a new regime. Which means neither you, me, the press or anybody on the OM knows what they're up to.

Let the drama continue.

That's the problem. We have no history pattern that let's us know how this is going to play out.

For the record, I think Sanchez is the best QB this year and I could live with him at 12. However I don't want to trade up for any player.

footstepsfrom#27

People forget that Orton is at best his 2nd choice for QB. If you believe his story that he wanted Cutler to be here, then Cassel was the 2nd choice/Orton #3...if not then he was the 1st choice and Orton the 2nd. Either way...it's not to hard to see why a guy who made his rep as a QB coach would want to begin with a guy he really wants instead of his 2nd or 3rd choice.

Maybe this is an elaborate ruse...we can only hope so.

Rohirrim
They did, but I am treating him as OLB (strong side) at this point. I think he fits that role better then ILB for Nolan's hybrid defense.

Since you already know what Nolan's hybrid D is going to look like, perhaps you could also post his draft board. I would love to see it. ;)

Punisher
04-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Sanchez?

Trade Cutler now where in the Sanchez Taco Sweepstakes,McDickhole is flushing this Franchises down the toilet.

I don't see why we have to make a move on Sanchez when McCoy and Bradford are coming out in next years Draft,plus I like Bomar in the 5th or 6th pick.

McDickhole is lost why even Apply for a Head Coach Job knowing your not qualified for the position.You don't see me Applying for AirPlane Pilot because I know i can't drive a Plane. :pity:

Beantown Bronco
04-24-2009, 08:33 AM

Let the drama continue.

New regime, old regime. Doesn't matter. No regime is going to leak anything before the draft. Outside of the team picking #1, no team in the history of the NFL has ever purposely leaked out their true intentions. There's nothing to be gained and everything to be lost by doing so.

Sanchez is not the target. I would bet my life on it.

Hamrob
04-24-2009, 08:35 AM
Don't trade up....sit and wait...see who falls to you at 12!

If Sanchez falls to 12...then fine.

This draft is very deep at LB. We could get two Pro-bowl LB's in the first round...rather than a QB that is going to be questionable and not contribute for 2yrs.

I really don't buy that the Browns aren't willing to trade Quinn. They're either trying to drive the price up...or they said to wait until draft day. To me...this sounds like Broncos spin...hey, we tried to get Brady Quinn, but they said they wouldn't trade him. What were we to do...we had to trade the 12 & 18 to get Sanchez!

So, does everyone still think it was wise to give Cutler away?

TonyR
04-24-2009, 08:41 AM
That's the problem. We have no history pattern that let's us know how this is going to play out.

Yup, and even if we had a "history pattern" we still wouldn't have a clue.

TonyR
04-24-2009, 08:42 AM
McDickhole is lost...

And clearly you are found.

oubronco
04-24-2009, 08:44 AM

For the record, I think Sanchez is the best QB this year and I could live with him at 12. However I don't want to trade up for any player.

I'm with you I would stay put and draft BPA at 12 and 18

Dagmar
04-24-2009, 08:49 AM
It's the day before the draft, why do you guys believe this stuff? It's all BULL****! Orton will be our QB and McD will focus on the front 7 in this draft.

:pray:

(I would take Sanchez at 12 if available though)

Kaylore
04-24-2009, 08:50 AM
It's the day before the draft, why do you guys believe this stuff? It's all BULL****! Orton will be our QB and McD will focus on the front 7 in this draft.

I agree. Especially after reading Schefter's report. Schefter > anyone.

oubronco
04-24-2009, 08:51 AM

:pray: :pray:

DenverBrit
04-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Rhett Bomar is the real target. Woody likes him, so it must be true.

oubronco
04-24-2009, 08:57 AM

the real target is right below the beer my friend :thumbsup:

halfcreek
04-24-2009, 09:00 AM
tell pat to buy them a taco....wtf!

LOL

Laughing at one's own racist joke is sad.

Punisher
04-24-2009, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by DenverBrit http://orangemane.com/BB/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2393705#post2393705)

Bomar will be a good pick up,we could draft him in the 6th round with a Cheap Contract The kid has Heart.If he can't get coach up just cut him next year and then go after McCoy or Bradford in the 2010 Draft.

Sanchez is a underachiever and only played 16 games in the Collage Level.

bronco militia
04-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Laughing at one's own racist joke is sad.

Ha!

cry me river

maybe I placed the smilie in the wrong place, Mr Sharpton

Gcver2ver3
04-24-2009, 09:11 AM
Do you still have Krispy Kreme down there? They shut them all down up here. Very sad.

no Krispy Kreme?...

dude that ain't right...

Play2win
04-24-2009, 09:11 AM
It's just local reporters flinging **** against a wall attempting to get a sticker and thus a scoop.

Yeah, don't you love "Modern Journalism"...

DB Doom
04-24-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm late to this barn burning but if Denver trades up to get Sanchez I will...implode, this has gotta be some kind of decoy..right? please..god?

SonOfLe-loLang
04-24-2009, 09:24 AM
I knew once i saw the title for this thread, the posts would be incredibly annoying. I was correct

bronco militia
04-24-2009, 09:29 AM
I knew once i saw the title for this thread, the posts would be incredibly annoying. I was correct

LOL

this thread could use a hungry polar bear

Br0nc0Buster
04-24-2009, 09:33 AM
I will be sick if we take Sanchez

I see "bust" written all over him

DenverBrit
04-24-2009, 09:35 AM

;D

DenverBrit
04-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Bomar will be a good pick up,we could draft him in the 6th round with a Cheap Contract The kid has Heart.If he can't get coach up just cut him next year and then go after McCoy or Bradford in the 2010 Draft.

Sanchez is a underachiever and only played 16 games in the Collage Level.

I have difficulty believing that Sanchez is the target when the Broncos hold a well publicized last minute private workout.

Bomar would be a good later round choice.

This will be an interesting draft, one that seems to lack a clear cut first pick, so anything can happen.

broncofan2438
04-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Could this offseason get any worse? I really hope that the Jets nab him or the Hawks

Broncosfreak_56
04-24-2009, 09:48 AM
I am literally sick just at the thought of the Broncos doing this.

Old Dude
04-24-2009, 09:59 AM
I hope they don't do it, but it's not the end of the world if they do.

Chances are that the future success of this team will have a lot more to do with other things:

Are the FAs going to boom or bust?

Is the new staff going to be able to develop players?

Can we stay reasonably healthy?

How good or bad will Denver do in Rounds 2-7 of the draft? And in UFA signings?

And in any additional trades?

No matter what happens, the sun will still come up on Sunday.

TonyR
04-24-2009, 10:03 AM
FYI and FWIW, some draft stuff from Florio posted today. Didn't want to start a new thread.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=541915

tsiguy96
04-24-2009, 10:11 AM
i 100% hope they take him so you ******s absolutely implode. it would be the offseason of the decade, so many of you morons jumping ship.

Punisher
04-24-2009, 10:13 AM
i 100% hope they take him so you ******s absolutely implode. it would be the offseason of the decade, so many of you morons jumping ship.

If they do take him I'll wish he becomes a Hall Of Fame QB. :~ohyah!:

Merlin
04-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Up to now, I don't much care for MacD, but I do think he is an intelligent guy. Only an idiot would follow-up the Cutler fiasco with an annoucement that they want to move up to get a guy he is a question mark to begin with. Further, he comes from the Belicheat school of communication; i.e. NEVER GIVE ANYTHING AWAY. So this is just crap to keep the journalists busy.

broncosteven
04-24-2009, 10:42 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_12214434

The Broncos have engaged in discussions regarding a draft trade for USC quarterback Mark Sanchez, according to an NFL source.
Although the Broncos have several glaring needs on defense, particularly in the front seven of their new 3-4 alignment, there is also sentiment the team should replace Jay Cutler as their franchise quarterback while they have the rare flexibility that comes with having two first-round picks.

Duh we will have 2 1st round picks next year also ****forbrains!

Wait a year and use Orton as stopgame to staunch bleeding.

Who knows we could have a top 10 pick next year, not the Chicago pick, ours!

broncosteven
04-24-2009, 10:43 AM

Great now I have Annie suck in my head singing the sun will come out tomorrow!

DrFate
04-24-2009, 10:54 AM
McDaniels might have made a few dumb mistakes but I don't think he is retarded.

Look closely :~ohyah!:

elsid13
04-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Great now I have Annie suck in my head singing the sun will come out tomorrow!

I hear that Gene does a great Annie impression.

Paladin
04-24-2009, 10:56 AM
I hope Sanchez is there at 12. Then I'd take Tbay or Washington for all they got......

I think Sanchez could go to the Rams. I know they need a T, but the "knowledgeable" and "expert" fan base don't much care for Bolger in St. Louis. They hope he is about to be Cutlered......

I do believe the writer is right: Raji and Jackson will be going high, but Rey Rey at 12 is possible and Ayers at 18 would make some sense.....

broncofan2438
04-24-2009, 11:00 AM
I hope Sanchez is there at 12. Then I'd take Tbay or Washington for all they got......

I think Sanchez could go to the Rams. I know they need a T, but the "knowledgeable" and "expert" fan base don't much care for Bolger in St. Louis. They hope he is about to be Cutlered......

I do believe the writer is right: Raji and Jackson will be going high, but Rey Rey at 12 is possible and Ayers at 18 would make some sense.....

Thats what I was thinking, but I heard SD might go after him

snowtrx
04-24-2009, 11:41 AM

:rofl: I have seen that picture 100 times and your comment confused the hell out of me. Seriously, I have never noticed the beer before.

DenverBrit
04-24-2009, 11:56 AM
:rofl: I have seen that picture 100 times and your comment confused the hell out of me. Seriously, I have never noticed the beer before.

What beer?? It's Coors. ;D

WABronco
04-24-2009, 12:02 PM
"All right, here's the plan guys. LETS TRADE FOR HIM, but before we actually do, let's tell the Denver Post that we're actually trying to! No? Oh, ok."

lex
04-24-2009, 12:03 PM
I hope they don't do it, but it's not the end of the world if they do.

Chances are that the future success of this team will have a lot more to do with other things:

Are the FAs going to boom or bust?

Is the new staff going to be able to develop players?

Can we stay reasonably healthy?

How good or bad will Denver do in Rounds 2-7 of the draft? And in UFA signings?

And in any additional trades?

...not wasting draft picks. This has the biggest impact on the future.

snowtrx
04-24-2009, 12:04 PM
What beer?? It's Coors. ;D

Oh, I never seen it because I can see right through it. Good, I was beginning to worry my perversion was causing blindness.

eddie mac
04-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Speaking on ESPN News, Ed Werder reports that the Broncos will not trade up from No. 12 to draft Mark Sanchez.

Coach Josh McDaniels says the team has initiated no discussion about trading up, and swears that the Broncos have not talked seriously about Sanchez. McDaniels said he would likely not draft Sanchez even if he fell to No. 12.

Old Dude
04-24-2009, 02:03 PM
LOL well now we officially have all the bases covered with as much smoke as possible.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Speaking on ESPN News, Ed Werder reports that the Broncos will not trade up from No. 12 to draft Mark Sanchez.

Coach Josh McDaniels says the team has initiated no discussion about trading up, and swears that the Broncos have not talked seriously about Sanchez. McDaniels said he would likely not draft Sanchez even if he fell to No. 12.

He did a presser today and said that they are not trading 12 and 18 to move up in the 1st. Obviously he said nothing about trading other picks to move up in the 1st, but the 2 are not being packaged together.

NFLBRONCO
04-24-2009, 02:08 PM
He did a presser today and said that they are not trading 12 and 18 to move up in the 1st. Obviously he said nothing about trading other picks to move up in the 1st, but the 2 are not being packaged together.

Any chance players being packaged and 12 to move up?

DenverBrit
04-24-2009, 02:15 PM
I hope we don't waste the first round picks to trade up for a QB this year.
The Bellicheat QB draft strategy is like Shanny's attitude to RBs.
Find one in the later rounds.

Sanchez speculation grows
By Sam Farmer
Los Angeles Times
Posted: 04/24/2009 12:04:44 PM MDT
Updated: 04/24/2009 12:10:18 PM MDT

NEW YORK Will the St. Louis Rams use the No. 2 pick on USC quarterback Mark Sanchez? Some NFL teams are privately speculating that might happen.

As the Detroit Lions continue to zero in on Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford, there is a growing belief in league circles that the Rams who already have quarterback Marc Bulger are taking a serious look at the former Trojan standout.

With one day to go before the NFL draft, Sanchez is rapidly becoming the man of the hour, the linchpin player who's likely to determine the direction of the draft from the top.

"Teams have been doing more and more work on him," said an NFL personnel executive but not with the Rams. "They're starting to realize that he may be worth the risk to move up."

Although Sanchez turned down the NFL's invitation to attend the draft and plans to watch it from Southern California with friends and family, he is in New York this week. He told a reporter Wednesday night that he was going to a Broadway show, but cordially declined to say whether he had plans to meet with the New York Jets, who pick 17th.

"I'm kind of on lockdown on all that stuff," he said, noting that he does plan to make a New York appearance today as part of his sponsorship deal with Sprint.

This is the season of rampant speculation, when mixed messages and deception emanating from teams rival any kind of disguise and misdirection that happens on the field. What is real? What is a smoke screen? Only the Lions have the ability to choose any player on the board.

That said, the conjecture is the Rams could take Sanchez second and A) allow him to learn behind Bulger for a season, B) trade Bulger to a quarterback-needy team, or C) trade Sanchez after selecting him.

So if the Rams pass on Sanchez, who might take him? There's a fairly widespread belief that the quarterback who started only 16 games at USC and was at his best in a Rose Bowl victory over Penn State won't slip past Seattle at four.

It's highly unusual for a team to trade into the top five to grab a player because of the cost of doing so, but Sanchez could inspire such a move.

Both Jacksonville at eight and San Francisco at 10 are in the market for a quarterback, as is Denver (12 and 18), which sent coaches to L.A. on Tuesday for a private workout with Sanchez.

Washington, too, could be considering a move up from 13. The Redskins fell short in their bid for Jay Cutler, traded from the Broncos to Chicago, and Sanchez is the type of quarterback Redskins Coach Jim Zorn favors because he's a quick and accurate decision-maker who can move in the pocket.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12218859

Northman
04-24-2009, 02:17 PM
I would be fine with the Rams taking Sanchez. Just means another defender will fall.

Gcver2ver3
04-24-2009, 02:41 PM
I would be fine with the Rams taking Sanchez. Just means another defender will fall.

not sure how that helps a defender fall since the Rams are expected to take an O-lineman if not Sanchez...

Old Dude
04-24-2009, 02:41 PM
The Rams will probably go for an OT if they don't go after Sanchez, so it wouldn't really change that much as far as Denver is concerned.

Rohirrim
04-24-2009, 02:46 PM

If they didn't talk seriously about Sanchez, why did they give him a private workout this week? Ha!

This is getting as clear as mud.

NFLBRONCO
04-24-2009, 02:56 PM
I think it comes down to IF Sanchez slides to 8 its an option. I doubt it happens anyways.

elsid13
04-24-2009, 03:28 PM
I think it comes down to IF Sanchez slides to 8 its an option. I doubt it happens anyways.

I have strange feeling that it might.

Det - Stafford (done deal for all that matters)
St Louis Bulger
KC - Cassel
Sea - Hasselbeck
Cleveland - Quinn/Anderson
Cinncy- Palmer
Oakland - Fat Boy
GB - Rodgers
Jax- Garrard
SF -???
Buffalo -Edwards

DenverBrit
04-24-2009, 04:37 PM
If they didn't talk seriously about Sanchez, why did they give him a private workout this week? Ha!

This is getting as clear as mud.

To be sure he gets taken early. ;D

Northman
04-24-2009, 04:48 PM
not sure how that helps a defender fall since the Rams are expected to take an O-lineman if not Sanchez...

Rams need more help than just Oline. I dont think Smith is a guarantee there especially since they may or may not be considering Sanchez.

lex
04-24-2009, 11:47 PM

Possibly but then it could go something like this:

1. Detroit - Seattle
2. St. Louis - Curry
3. KC - Jackson
4. Sea - OT
5. Clev - Jenkins
6. Cin - OT
7. Oak - Maclin
8. Jax ? - Sanchez
9. GB - Raji
10. SF - Orakpo
11. Buff - Everette Brown

lex
04-24-2009, 11:49 PM
Rams need more help than just Oline. I dont think Smith is a guarantee there especially since they may or may not be considering Sanchez.

Curry also shouldnt be ruled out. Spags is a defensive coach and Curry, a LB, is generally considered to be the best player in the draft and a great character guy.