PDA

View Full Version : top 10 defense if we draft right? Here is how:

PaintballCLE
04-22-2009, 08:35 PM
pick 12, we pass on Raji if he is there and draft Rey Maualuga.
pick 18, we take another LB, (Matthews or Cushing)
2nd round (we take our NT Brace)
we trade our (2) 3rd round picks to move back up to the mid second round to select Patrick Chung.

Imagine having Dawkins and Chung at safeties.

DJ, DUM, MAUALUGA, and MATTHEWS/CUSHING at LB

Champ and Goodman? at CB

and Brace and NT........ we would still need some help on the D line, but we would still have some picks to try to get someone.

I think we would have a top 10 defense in one draft if we did that.

comments?

TheDave
04-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Some people here need to put down the crack pipe...

If you start a rookie such as brace at NT he will get eaten alive by NFL centers. It's going to take a couple seasons for him to learn how to play this position.

On top of that and you have no one who can play the 5 tech DE... So your going to have the entire right side of the O-Line on your shinny new linebackers.

There is no chance our Defense sniffs the top 10 next year... especially with the draft you just laid out.

PaintballCLE
04-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Some people here need to put down the crack pipe...

If you start a rookie such as brace at NT he will get eaten alive by NFL centers. It's going to take a couple seasons for him to learn how to play this position.

On top of that and you have no one who can play the 5 tech DE... So your going to have the entire right side of the O-Line on your shinny new linebackers.

True, but we did get the NT from SF....he would be a good stop gap for a year.

TheDave
04-22-2009, 08:46 PM

Listen, I'm not trying to be an ass... but we have no one on this team that can play DE in a 3-4. I agree that Fields is a serviceable rotation guy but he can't play every snap. Someone like Brace will get mauled by NFL centers... and without the right pieces on either side of them the problem gets that much worse.

We need to draft 4-5 players for the Dline just to have a chance... IMO.

24champ
04-22-2009, 08:51 PM

A stop gap? Dude was a 3rd stringer and never started a game in the NFL.Ha!

We got a LONG ways to go before we are top 10 material.

The goal for the defense this year should be to create more turnovers than last year.

Northman
04-22-2009, 08:55 PM
we trade our (2) 3rd round picks to move back up to the mid second round to select Patrick Chung.

Champ and Goodman? at CB

and Brace and NT........ we would still need some help on the D line, but we would still have some picks to try to get someone.

comments?

Forget Brace, give me that fine speciman in your avy. That will plug up some holes! :notworthy

CHANGSTER
04-22-2009, 08:56 PM
If we have a great defensive draft this year I can see us having a top 15 D in 2010 possibly. If we can stay out of the bottom third this year I'd be ecstatic.

Bronco Boy
04-22-2009, 08:57 PM
I'd be ecstatic with a top 20 D this year.

PaintballCLE
04-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Forget Brace, give me that fine speciman in your avy. That will plug up some holes! :notworthy

LOL........ok ill be her agent........let the bidding start at her paying you $50.00 lol

Northman
04-22-2009, 08:59 PM
LOL........ok ill be her agent........let the bidding start at her paying you $50.00 lol

Sweet.

Now if you put her on the Oline i might actually be able to get a Punt off now. ^5

NFLBRONCO
04-22-2009, 08:59 PM
Listen, I'm not trying to be an ass... but we have no one on this team that can play DE in a 3-4. I agree that Fields is a serviceable rotation guy but he can't play every snap. Someone like Brace will get mauled by NFL centers... and without the right pieces on either side of them the problem gets that much worse.

If we need 4-5 players on DL why are you against moving down? I'd like to add 3 DL in this draft.

TheChamp24
04-22-2009, 09:01 PM
Like someone else said, I would be freakin estatic if we broke into the top 20 this year, and even that is a stretch for me to consider.
That D is a piece of work.

TheDave
04-22-2009, 09:05 PM
If we need 4-5 players on DL why are you against moving down? I'd like to add 3 DL in this draft.

'cause I can't get Tyson Jackson if we move off of 12... As for 18, I guess I don't really care if we move back a few. Just don't trade it away for a crapshoot next year.

PaintballCLE
04-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Sweet.

Now if you put her on the Oline i might actually be able to get a Punt off now. ^5

LOL.....yeah in the huddle just tell her the guy on the d line stole her doritos.....just run behind her and youll get the first down.

cutthemdown
04-22-2009, 09:10 PM

Champ and Goodman? at CB

comments?

It would be hard without any good 3-4 Dends, or 4-3 dends. Broncos IMO have the biggest needs there. CHange one of of the linebacker picks to a Dend, Like Jackson and Rey Rey, and I think it would be better.

footstepsfrom#27
04-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Some of this tripe is just beyond belief.

Gcver2ver3
04-22-2009, 09:57 PM

Champ and Goodman? at CB

comments?

Raji falling to #12?...and we pass?...

D-line is our biggest need...hopefully Raji or Jackson will be avaialble by the time we piack...

Rohirrim
04-22-2009, 09:58 PM
We're looking at a two or three year deal at minimum. The sooner everybody accepts that, the better off we'll all be. This draft is strong in good LBs. Hopefully, the Broncos scoop up a couple. Next year, we're in a great position to go after a top of the line NT and some DEs. Or maybe we'll luck out and find that Powell, Thomas, and or Peterson are the real deal in a new D scheme? Meanwhile, pack in some STers and solid backups. Maybe luck out on a RB. Two or three years, folks. Minimum.

BroncoInferno
04-22-2009, 10:04 PM
We're looking at a two or three year deal at minimum. The sooner everybody accepts that, the better off we'll all be. This draft is strong in good LBs. Hopefully, the Broncos scoop up a couple. Next year, we're in a great position to go after a top of the line NT and some DEs. Or maybe we'll luck out and find that Powell, Thomas, and or Peterson are the real deal in a new D scheme? Meanwhile, pack in some STers and solid backups. Maybe luck out on a RB. Two or three years, folks. Minimum.

Miami went from 1-15 to 11-5 in a year. Atlanta from, what, 4-12 to 11-5. To say it takes two-three years minimum is pretty pessimistic and not in line with turnarounds in todays NFL. It is not unreasonable to think we can be a solid team NOW, it just depends on how we draft and McDaniel's program.

NFLBRONCO
04-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Miami went from 1-15 to 11-5 in a year. Atlanta from, what, 4-12 to 11-5. To say it takes two-three years minimum is pretty pessimistic and not in line with turnarounds in todays NFL. It is not unreasonable to think we can be a solid team NOW, it just depends on how we draft and McDaniel's program.

I think we have too many issues on D to expect that quick of a turnaround. Finding DL that can come in right away and take over is tough.

baja
04-22-2009, 10:20 PM

Check those schedules

Gcver2ver3
04-22-2009, 10:24 PM

this is a win-now league...

teams don't look to do these 2 to 3 yr projects like back in the day...

McD's goal is to win now...whether it happens or not is up for debate...

but i've seen big turna arounds by teams every year, and we were 8-8 last year not 2-14, so let's not act like we automatically suck because we traded Cutler...

and as for the tough schedule angle everyone takes...let's just wait and see, because for every cinderella team that emerges each year is a top notch team turned garbage...

NFLBRONCO
04-22-2009, 10:32 PM
this is a win-now league...

teams don't look to do these 2 to 3 yr projects like back in the day...

McD's goal is to win now...whether it happens or not is up for debate...

but i've seen big turna arounds by teams every year, and we were 8-8 last year not 2-14, so let's not act like we automatically suck because we traded Cutler...

and as for the tough schedule angle everyone takes...let's just wait and see, because for every cinderella team that emerges each year is a top notch team turned garbage...

When your owner fires a HOF coach and states we are a long ways from a contender tells me he expects 2 offseasons at least to see drastic results win now league or not.

I would hope McD would say we will win now even if the reality we might not.

BroncoMan4ever
04-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Raji falling to #12?...and we pass?...

D-line is our biggest need...hopefully Raji or Jackson will be avaialble by the time we piack...

yeah i quit reading the initial post after that.

so the best DL prospect in this draft falls into our laps, and us being a team desperately in need of DL players, but we decide to pass on that for a guy who doesn't even seem like he will be the best of the USC linebackers drafted.

PaintballCLE
04-22-2009, 11:00 PM
yeah i quit reading the initial post after that.

so the best DL prospect in this draft falls into our laps, and us being a team desperately in need of DL players, but we decide to pass on that for a guy who doesn't even seem like he will be the best of the USC linebackers drafted.

so you wouldn't "settle" for the second best NT, along with 2 of the 3 (Curry) best LB's and the Top safety......your nuts.

cmhargrove
04-23-2009, 07:18 AM

I agree somewhat, but if you actually examine some of the guys we have on the roster, they played DE in college, and we asked them to "bulk up" and play inside because that's the best we had.

Kenny Peterson was a DE on a national championship team (I know, so was Jarvis). But, Kenny showed me last year that he can play - and he is right around that 300 lb mark. Nic CLemons os no barn-burner, but he showed some quickness and ability to get to the QB on a few plays. Guys like McBean have a shot.

If we find a couple serviceable NT's, our ends will have more one on one battles, which is how the game is usually won.

And, you have to look at a stronger coaching style and a line coach that actually has built competitive lines (Nunnely). It may be a little better than you think.

The final component here is the play of our safeties. We all have selective memory around here because we did put teams in third and long all year, but got destroyed in the middle of the field. That is primarily because of pass rush, but also because of horrible safety play.

Mogulseeker
04-23-2009, 07:36 AM

I think Marcus Thomas and Cerleton Powell, given a year, would make decent 3-4 DEs. Powell at LDE and Thomas at RDE.

Remember, in the 3-4 it's more about gap control and stopping the run along the line, most of the blitzing is done by line backers. I have a feeling Doom and Williams are going to have a big couple of years.

TheDave
04-23-2009, 07:46 AM
The problem is that neither Powell or Thomas have the height/length that is typical of 3-4 ends... Now whether or not that is a deal breaker I'm not sure.

Additionally, As far as Thomas is concerned I wouldn't be so sure that he is a good fit for any type of 2 gap defense. Last season I only saw him double teamed a handful of times (that tells me something right there) and he was anything but stout at the point of attack.

Right now I have the most hope in peterson only because he was a FA and the team chose to retain him...

socalorado
04-23-2009, 08:07 AM

Champ and Goodman? at CB
comments?
The beggining of your draft is solid, but trading up for Chung is a total waste and a huge mistake.
Also, Raji is a 4-3 DT and nothing more, so folks claiming hes the best defensive player are the ones on crack.
1A "SAM"
http://walterfootball.com/college/USC_logo.gif Brian Cushing, USC (http://walterfootball.com/pro2009bcushing.php)
Height: 6-3. Weight: 243.
Projected 40 Time: 4.70.
Combine 40 Time: 4.79.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.68.
Benchx225: 30. Vertical: 35.
Projected Round (2009): 1.
1/10/09: Voted to the AP All-America Second Team.

12/6/08: In a solid senior season for USC, Brian Cushing has 58 tackles, nine TFL and 2.5 sacks going into the UCLA game. He's a first round prospect.

5/16/08: It seems like Brian Cushing can play any position. He was at strong safety and defensive end previously before moving to strongside linebacker in 2007. He was hindered by an injured ankle last year, so if he stays healthy he's bound to have an incredible 2008 campaign.
1B "THE JOKER"
http://walterfootball.com/college/NorthernIllinois_logo.gif Larry English, Northern Illinois (http://walterfootball.com/pro2009lenglish.php)
Height: 6-3. Weight: 251.
Projected 40 Time: 4.70.
Combine 40 Time: 4.90.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.70.
Benchx225: 36. Vertical: .
Projected Round (2009): 1.
2/25/09: Turns out Larry English is actually 255; not 274. With that in mind, his 40 was pretty disappointing, though the same can be said about almost everyone who attended the 2009 NFL Combine.

2/22/09: I'm not sure if this is a typo, but Larry English was listed at 6-2, 274. He was supposed to be 254. Hopefully this will be cleared up soon.

1/9/09: Larry English finished his senior campaign with 14.5 TFL, eight sacks and three forced fumbles.

11/16/08: Larry English is not going to match the 10.5 sacks he had in 2007. He has 4.5 sacks through nine games.

5/7/2008: Despite being the only talented defensive lineman on Northern Illinois' front, Larry English still managed 10.5 sacks, giving him 22.5 the past two years. I don't care whom you're playing - numbers like that can't be ignored. Look for English to shoot up draft boards like fellow MAC end Jason Jones did in April.

2007: Larry English recorded 12 sacks as a sophomore. Larry English just makes plays.
2 DE
http://walterfootball.com/college/SanJoseState_logo.gif Jarron Gilbert, San Jose State
Height: 6-5. Weight: 288.
Projected 40 Time: 5.15.
Combine 40 Time: 4.87.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.80.
Benchx225: 28. Vertical: 37.
Projected Round (2009): 2.
2/24/09: Jarron Gilbert ran and jumped well at the 2009 NFL Combine. He's now in heavy second-round consideration.

11/23/08: Jarron Gilbert has terrorized quarterbacks this year. Through 11 games, Gilbert has 47 tackles, 21.5 TFL, nine sacks and three passes broken up.

5/9/08: Jarron Gilbert had 7.5 TFL, four sacks and four passes broken up as a junior.
3A NT
http://walterfootball.com/college/Clemson_logo.gif Dorell Scott, Clemson
Height: 6-3. Weight: 314.
Projected 40 Time: 5.04.
Combine 40 Time: 4.92.
Benchx225: 29. Vertical: .
Projected Round (2009): 3.
1/10/09: Dorell Scott finished the season with just one sack, but had six TFL and five quarterback hurries.

5/9/08: A monstrous defensive tackle who can get to the quarterback on occasion. Dorell Scott had 50 tackles and three sacks in 2007.

2007: A starter as a sophomore, Dorell Scott is one of the hardest-working players in this class. He'll put up some good numbers on the bench press
come Combine time.
3B DE
http://walterfootball.com/college/Purdue_logo.gif Alex Magee, Purdue
Height: 6-3. Weight: 298.
Projected 40 Time: 4.90.
Combine 40 Time: 5.05.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.82.
Benchx225: 30. Vertical: 29.5.
Projected Round (2009): 3.
11/23/08: A candidate for either the 4-3 or 3-4, Alex Magee has six TFL and 3.5 sacks this season.

5/9/08: Started every game in 2007, and recorded 38 tackles and 4.5 tackles for loss.
4 FS
http://walterfootball.com/college/NotreDame_logo.gif David Bruton, FS, Notre Dame
Height: 6-2. Weight: 219.
Projected 40 Time: 4.49.
Combine 40 Time: 4.46.
Benchx225: . Vertical: 41.5.
Projected Round (2009): 4-5.
2/25/09: On the official Al Davis Watch Alert. David Bruton was one of only two safeties to break 4.5.

1/14/09: David Bruton, a two-year starter, was invited to the Senior Bowl.

12/14/08: One of the few productive players on Notre Dame this season, David Bruton managed 93 tackles, six passes broken up and three picks.

5/19/08: A team captain going into the 2008 season, David Bruton recorded 85 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss and three interceptions.

5 QB
http://walterfootball.com/college/TexasAM_logo.gif Stephen McGee, Texas A&M
Height: 6-3. Weight: 225.
Projected 40 Time: 4.68.
Combine 40 Time: 4.66.
Hand Size: 9.
Projected Round (2009): 6-7.
12/20/08: Won't be surprised if Mike Sherman ruins many an NFL career in College Station.

10/12/08: Hasn't played much because of a shoulder injury.

3/26/08: After throwing just three picks in his first two years, Stephen McGee tossed eight interceptions in 2007.

2007: McGee was very inconsistent last year. For example, he was 19-of-23 for 183 yards and a score against Missouri. Three weeks later, he completed just eight passes (and one interception) in a 17-16 loss to Oklahoma. McGee was only a sophomore, but he needs to grow considerably over the next two years.
6.......and so on and so on...

If you want CMatthews instead of English, Ok, but i think English is a gamer.
All these guys are high motor, high effort, leaders on the field.
Every position of need on defense is addressed.

KillerBronco#76
04-23-2009, 08:19 AM
The problem is that neither Powell or Thomas have the height/length that is typical of 3-4 ends... Now whether or not that is a deal breaker I'm not sure.

Additionally, As far as Thomas is concerned I wouldn't be so sure that he is a good fit for any type of 2 gap defense. Last season I only saw him double teamed a handful of times (that tells me something right there) and he was anything but stout at the point of attack.

Right now I have the most hope in peterson only because he was a FA and the team chose to retain him...
i agree you have to build a defense with the line first...But we do need an outside linebacker too. I think we have to spend one pick on each.

I'm pretty sure Thomas could handle DE in the 3-4 he is athletic enough and you don't take a whole lot of double teams at that spot except from a TE and Tackle. (much easier than Gaurd and Center)
Powell is a straight NT he is super strong and could develope into a solid player maybe not our starter but you need a couple good NT's anyway. We will see though if the coaches think thomas can handle it by who we draft after the first round.

I agree the raji or jackson pick sounds good. Both are really good players and will be around for a long time. Jackson impresses the more i watch of him and your right we really do need a solid 3-4 DE.

The 4 players i see helping us out the most this year in order would be 1. Raji 2. Jackson 3. Orakpo 4. Everette

I'm really high on Everette he has some great moves besides his speed that you need to make the transition to the NFL. A great Club, quick spin move, and he can beat you with his speed. I can see him developing into a very good pass rusher if he can adapt some double moves.

Ayers makes me neverous just because i havn't had a chance to look at him yet and he only had one good year. but then again so did mario williams.

broncofan7
04-23-2009, 08:26 AM

Your avatar is almost as disgusting as your post.

Popcorn Sutton
04-23-2009, 08:42 AM
Listen, I'm not trying to be an ***... but we have no one on this team that can play DE in a 3-4. I agree that Fields is a serviceable rotation guy but he can't play every snap. Someone like Brace will get mauled by NFL centers... and without the right pieces on either side of them the problem gets that much worse.

EDIT: **** Guess, I should have looked at the 2nd page... ****

Listen, I'm not trying to be an *** but simply saying there is not a single player on this team that can play the 5 Technique DE is a bit premature. With a little coaching and practice Marcus Thomas and Kenny Peterson could both be suitable 3-4 DE's. They both have a lot of athleticism, see Marcus Thomas performing back flips and they both have the size. I haven't even talked about Carlton Powell who could be a nice fit as well (although it sounds like he may be bulking up for the NT position). We do need a mauler in the inside but I disagree that there is nobody on this team that can play DE in a 3-4.

Hotrod
04-23-2009, 08:56 AM

I actually like Marcus Thomas as a 3-4 DE.

Round 1(12) Tyson Jackson DE LSU
Round 1(18) Chris Wells RB Ohio State
Round 2(48) Fili Moala DE USC
Round 3(79) Dorrell Scott DT Clemson
Round 3(84) Louis Murphy WR Florida
Round 4(114) Keenan Lewis CB Oregon State
Round 5(149) Andy Kemp OG Wisconsin
Round 6(185) Antonio Appleby ILB Virginia
Round 7(225) Khalif Mitchell DT East Carolina
Round 7(235) Graham Harrell QB Texas Tech

Close/end thread :)

Old Dude
04-23-2009, 08:57 AM
Best case scenario for our defense:

Fields turns in a good job at NT (he did start for Nolan in 2007, FWIW) and we find a decent backup/alternate (Powell or a rookie).

We manage to land a blue chip DE like Tyson Jackson (looking increasingly unlikely) who picks up the game a little faster than expected. Peterson performs well. And, under new coaching, maybe a young player like Thomas or Crowder finally takes a step up towards competence. (also unlikely).

Nolan is able to find some decent LBs amidst DJ and all the tweeners. (I'm more optimistic about this.)

The secondary stays healthy. Dawkins and the Miami guys work out. Barrett improves and we draft another DB (Jenkins maybe) who is able to push for a starting role.

The offense is able to exercise enough ball control to keep the D from being on the field all the time.

Lots of ifs. And if they all play out, maybe this team could field a slightly above "average" unit - - around 13-15th.

More likely, we're looking at the 20s and we can only hope it's closer to 21 than 29.

Gcver2ver3
04-23-2009, 09:39 AM
When your owner fires a HOF coach and states we are a long ways from a contender tells me he expects 2 offseasons at least to see drastic results win now league or not.

I would hope McD would say we will win now even if the reality we might not.

McD has been claiming from the outset that his goal is to win now...

he says we have a ways to go, but he means that we still need the draft, additional FA acquisitions, and coaching to be where he wants us to be...

and yes Shanny was a great coach for us, but just because we fired a coach doesn't mean we're in rebuild mode either...

we were 8-8 last year and tied for 1st in our division...so as long as we improve our ST & defense, i expect we'll contend again this year...