04-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Whatta douche. Wonder what will happen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYDw1Za8F-I&feature=player_embedded

broncofan7
04-22-2009, 03:39 PM
WOW- that is infuriating.

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 04:00 PM
Other than the cop having a bit of an attitude problem, I don't see much wrong here.

At 23 seconds into the video the cop is telling the reporter to move his truck, and the reporter says "let me talk to this guy right here" and starts walking towards him. Not only is he disobeying a lawful order, the manner in which he said would have been the same as "**** you!"

From then, up until about 47 seconds the cop is continuing to tell them to leave and the reporter is arguing with him.

Then the cop decides to arrest him. The reporter is not being cooperative.

At 1:01 the cop tells the cameraman to get in the truck and leave before he gets arrested too. For 30 seconds he ignores the order and films what is happening, then gets arrested himself.

Both the reporter and cameraman ignored multiple lawful orders to move their truck. They (well the reporter) gave an arrogant attitude and were uncooperative during the arrest.

Sorry, this one is on them.

DomCasual
04-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Um, good quick thinking on the cop's part. Act like a crazy man and arrest a guy while the cameraman is taping it. When he gets fired, he can go ahead and start that career as a rocket surgeon he's always dreamed of.

snowspot66
04-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Other than the cop having a bit of an attitude problem, I don't see much wrong here.

At 23 seconds into the video the cop is telling the reporter to move his truck, and the reporter says "let me talk to this guy right here" and starts walking towards him. Not only is he disobeying a lawful order, the manner in which he said would have been the same as "**** you!"

From then, up until about 47 seconds the cop is continuing to tell them to leave and the reporter is arguing with him.

At 1:01 the cop tells the cameraman to get in the truck and leave before he gets arrested too. For 30 seconds he ignores the order and films what is happening, then gets arrested himself.

Both the reporter and cameraman ignored multiple lawful orders to move their truck. They (well the reporter) gave an arrogant attitude and were uncooperative during the arrest.

Except they were on the opposite side of the highway where they were parked next to AT LEAST two other civilian vehicles who had stopped as well. Guy was a douche bag singling them out because they were reporters doing what reporters do. ****tard on a power trip. It's on the cop.

DomCasual
04-22-2009, 04:08 PM

All of that will be great consolation as he pursues his career in private security. :)

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Except they were on the opposite side of the highway where they were parked next to AT LEAST two other civilian vehicles who had stopped as well. Guy was a douche bag singling them out because they were reporters doing what reporters do. ****tard on a power trip. It's on the cop.

Those other vehicles were closer to the accident and not news vehicles. Logic would say they were probably witnesses and/or stopped to help. We also don't know if they were told to move their vehicles before or after this incident.

But all that is really a moot point. The officer gave them repeated lawful orders which they ignored (arrogantly in the reporters case) and were arrested. End of story.

Flex Gunmetal
04-22-2009, 04:21 PM
FYI I made this thread just for you FB.

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 04:22 PM
FYI I made this thread just for you FB.

Thanks buddy. :D

jutang
04-22-2009, 04:23 PM
I'm with the cop on this issue. I hate it when people go 5-10 mph when the accident is on the other side of the highway. It makes it even worse if cars pull over to the shoulder of a HIGHWAY and get out of their cars. It puts them at risk and it slows things down even more.

Did the cop overreact? Maybe, but you have no idea if he was warning the news crew before he jumped the fence to arrest them. In hindsight, the cop should have warned everyone who stopped their car and then start handing out tickets. The reporter can't do interviews if nobody is there.

Northman
04-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Another cop hating thread. Woohoo! We dont have enough of those.

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 04:28 PM
I'm with the cop on this issue. I hate it when people go 5-10 mph when the accident is on the other side of the highway. It makes it even worse if cars pull over to the shoulder of a HIGHWAY and get out of their cars. It puts them at risk and it slows things down even more.

Did the cop overreact? Maybe, but you have no idea if he was warning the news crew before he jumped the fence to arrest them. In hindsight, the cop should have warned everyone who stopped their car and then start handing out tickets. The reporter can't do interviews if nobody is there.

Exactly. They are stopped on the side of the highway/freeway where they should not have been and disobeyed a lawful order to move their vehicle. Even if they weren't warned prior to the clip we were shown, the officer still have them SEVERAL warnings to move and they ignored them.

They were given plenty of oppourtunity to leave and choose to ignore the officer. They paid the price for it by getting arrested.

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Another cop hating thread. Woohoo! We dont have enough of those.

Yeah, tell me about. Although to be fair, the last few (Moats, cop accidently shooting a handcuff man) the cop was clearly out of line.

Not this time though.

azbroncfan
04-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Typical power tripped cop. Hard to tell what the whole story was with just a little clip but I still believe cops have way too much power for the little training they get.

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Typical power tripped cop. Hard to tell what the whole story was with just a little clip but I still believe cops have way too much power for the little training they get.

How did this cop have too much power? He told a news crew to move their vehicle off the side of the road and they ignored him.

I guess we should just let people do whatever the hell they want, right? ???

HEAV
04-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Just another asshat/egomaniac cop.

On a side note Javier Sambrano got some jacked up front teeth.

yerner
04-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Cop acted like a high strung douche. There was no reason to get so aggressive. Still, it should he should def. not lose his job or be suspended. Nothing really happened.

HEAV
04-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Cop acted like a high strung douche. There was no reason to get so aggressive. Still, it should he should def. not lose his job or be suspended. Nothing really happened.

He should get suspended. He just gave his company another black eye in the media.

He needs to learn not to be a a-hole 24/7 and not try to man-up when a camera is on him.

Dexter
04-22-2009, 04:46 PM
How did this cop have too much power? He told a news crew to move their vehicle off the side of the road and they ignored him.

This is the United States of America, what happened to rights?. Those reporters were just doing their jobs, weren't doing anything unsafe and had a right to be there. This is a cop on a power trip, I guess we should just let those in power do whatever they want right????

A cop is supposed to serve and protect the people. Who was he protecting there? They were on the opposite shoulder, pulled over. If there was a legitimiate reason for not being there, the cop could have explained why he wanted their truck move.

Yet he decides to be aggressive, yell and not explain anything. Some people act like just because a cop is a cop, he can tell people to do whatever he wants. They weren't doing anything illegal.:)

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 04:46 PM

Yeah, he could have chilled out for sure, but nothing he did was illegal and I doubt he broke any department policies either.

Chances of this cop being punished are next to zero, and rightfully so.

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 04:53 PM
This is the United States of America. Those reporters were just doing their jobs, and weren't doing anything unsafe. This is a cop on a power trip, I guess we should just let those in power do whatever they want right? There right to do their jobs does not supercede the right of the public to have unobstructed roadways or the right of the police/EMS to conduct their rescue and investigation efforts without interference.

A cop is supposed to serve and protect the people. Who was he protecting there? They were on the opposite shoulder, pulled over. If there was a legitimiate reason for not being there, the cop could have explained why he wanted their truck move. Cops serve and protect by enforcing the laws of their jurisdiction. They were serving the public by attempting to clear the road of an unnecessary obstruction, a perfectly lawful order, and the newscrew ignored it, which is not lawful.

And there is no rule that says they need to explain their reasoning. If you think a cop is going to debate his orders with you, especially at an accident scene, you have another thing coming. If your parents were anything like mine, you should be familiar with this already.

Some people act like just because a cop is a cop, he can tell people to do whatever he wants. It's called a lawful order, and disobeying one is not lawful, as this news crew found out.

They weren't doing anything illegal. They most certainly were. They vehicle was parked in a way in which it obstructed traffic, and then when they were given a lawful order to move it, they ignored it.

That's two illegal actions right there. Hence, why they got arrested.

orangeatheist
04-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Was the TV van blocking the flow of traffic?

If so, cop was in the right.

If not, cop was power-tripping.

Dexter
04-22-2009, 04:59 PM
There right to do their jobs does not supercede the right of the public to have unobstructed roadways or the right of the police/EMS to conduct their rescue and investigation efforts without interference.

If this was the case, then the cop should have explained why they needed to move. Yelling at somebody, especially when you're the one thats supposed to be calm, is a really awful way of going about telling people what to do.

Cops serve and protect by enforcing the laws of their jurisdiction. They were serving the public by attempting to clear the road of an unnecessary obstruction, a perfectly lawful order, and the newscrew ignored it, which is not lawful.

They were on the side of the road on the opposite shoulder. How were they obstructing anything? But again, the way the cop went about "enforcing" this so called law was pretty bad.

And there is no rule that says they need to explain their reasoning. If you think a cop is going to debate his orders with you, especially at an accident scene, you have another thing coming.

Why would there need to be any debate. Cop goes up to person and says "We need you to move, heres why". Most likely the person will do so. Versus "MOVE NOW OR I'll ARREST YOU! which in turn probably makes things worse than if he would have left him alone.

It's called a lawful order, and disobeying one is not lawful, as this news crew found out.

Why were they immediately released when they got to the station then? They didn't do anything wrong. You can't just arrest people for nothing.

They most certainly were. They vehicle was parked in a way in which it obstructed traffic, and then when they were given a lawful order to move it, they ignored it.

That's two illegal actions right there. Hence, why they got arrested.

How is being on the side of the road obstructing traffic? If they were on the same side of the incident it might. But again, if that Cop wanted them to move, he could have done it in a much better manner. Oh and if you didn't notice there were all sorts of people pulled over, looking at the accident.

Jens1893
04-22-2009, 05:07 PM
I feel sorry for the 1% good cops who are being made look like assholes by the other 99%.

Dexter
04-22-2009, 05:09 PM
I feel sorry for the 1% good cops who are being made look like a-holes by the other 99%.

I feel sorry for the 99% good cops that are being made look like a-holes by the other 1%

BroncoBuff
04-22-2009, 05:12 PM
I was a sports anchor at that station, KVIA Channel 7 in El Paso, for two years ....

Covered Tim Hardaway, Antonio Davis and Greg Foster ;D

DomCasual
04-22-2009, 05:13 PM

Dude, I was TOTALLY going to comment on that. He looks like he has 3X too many lower front teeth. Yow!

jutang
04-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Anytime your on the inside shoulder and standing on the highway your obstructing traffic. You don't have to be directly in a cars path to slow them down. Only people who should be physically on the highway is EMS personnel.

The news crews have to do their job... fine, but that doesn't give them the right to stop anywhere they want especially if it gets in the way of other people.

baja
04-22-2009, 05:14 PM

Dude I believe you would defend Ted Bunday if he had a uniform on.

I hope you get abused by a cop like this some day so you will know what it feels like, otherwise I can see you doing this type thing to some citizen of your own.

Listen; Your first clue there was a problem with the cop was that he was making decisions from a place of anger. All the cop had to do was to inform the citizen he was causing a traffic hazard and if he didn't get into his truck and leave to calmly and with out anger draw his weapon and cap his ass.

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 05:15 PM
If this was the case, then the cop should have explained why they needed to move. Yelling at somebody, especially when you're the one thats supposed to be calm, is a really awful way of going about telling people what to do. I agree that he should have been a little more calm, but did you see how the reporter acted? The cop told him to move the truck and he told the cop he was going to interview the guy instead.

Yeah, that won't piss them off or anything.

They were on the side of the road on the opposite shoulder. How were they obstructing anything? But again, the way the cop went about "enforcing" this so called law was pretty bad. The shoulder is for emergency stopping only. Not for news crews to park their vehicles while they decide to interview people. Not only is that illegal, it's also extremely dangerous.

Why would there need to be any debate. Cop goes up to person and says "We need you to move, heres why". Most likely the person will do so. Versus "MOVE NOW OR I'll ARREST YOU! which in turn probably makes things worse than if he would have left him alone.
He told them to move their vehicle. He doesn't need to justify it with reasoning or an explanation. They ignored the lawful order, were threatened with arrest after doing so, and continued to ignore it.

They were in the wrong and paid the price.

Why were they immediately released when they got to the station then? They didn't do anything wrong. You can't just arrest people for nothing. That's not uncommon, especially for relatively minor offenses like this. Also, were they charged or ticketed?

But again, if that Cop wanted them to move, he could have done it in a much better manner. Who says he didn't? We only saw a small clip. Who knows if they were told to move before the filming that we saw.

Oh and if you didn't notice there were all sorts of people pulled over, looking at the accident. Again, a moot point.

1) They could have been witnesses or people who stopped to help. They were certainly not news crew vehicles.

2) They may have been asked to move before, or after this arrest took place.

3) It doesn't matter anyway.

Again, it's pretty simple. Those two ignored a lawful order multiple times and were arrested. You can piss and moan about it all you want, but the cop was acting within the scope of his duty.

End of story.

footstepsfrom#27
04-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Can we merge all the crazy cop threads?

BroncoBuff
04-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Anybody remember SteveTensi13 ...?

He was on the job not far from there ...

baja
04-22-2009, 05:21 PM

Ha ha ha ha No Shiit I thought I had some crap on my glasses.

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Dude I believe you would defend Ted Bunday if he had a uniform on.
Right Baja. That's why I never defended the cop who stopped Moats or the Oakland cop who shot the handcuffed man.

Try again Einstein.

I hope you get abused by a cop like this some day so you will know what it feels like Would never happen. If I'm given a lawful order by a police officer, I follow it without argument or debate. Go back and read the story I posted about when me and my mom got stopped in our driveway by some Largo cops who were mistakenly provided her license plate number as a vehicle carrying 3 men waving a gun around.

These cops thought we were armed, stopped us in the driveway and approached us with guns drawn. We were both polite, stayed quite while they patted us down and let them run the plate # to verify it was not the correct car. Whole ordeal was solved in 5 mins, the cops were polite, apologized for the inconvience and left.

THAT is how you deal with a cop. If this reporter would have acted the same way, we're not having this conversation. Instead he was arrogant, combative and disobeyed a lawful order and ended up under arrest.

otherwise I can see you doing this type thing to some citizen for your own. I'm sorry you have that erroneous belief.

Listen; Your first clue there was a problem with the cop was that he was making decisions from a place of anger. When a cop gives you a lawful order and you, for all intents and purposes say "f--- you, I'm doing this instead" you can bet you'll piss off the cop. And as I've stated, we don't know how much took place before this film clip.

draw him weapon and cap his ass. Now there is a law I could get behind. :spit:

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Anybody remember SteveTensi13 ...?

He was on the job not far from there ...

Wasn't Tensi a New Mexico State Trooper?

BroncoBuff
04-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Wasn't Tensi a New Mexico State Trooper?

Yup ... southern part of the state, fairly near El Paso.

OBF1
04-22-2009, 05:28 PM
I am with you Florida Bronco. The news crew was asked to leave repeatedly and refused to move. If I was a cop I would have tazed both of the ****ing assholes for not listening to my commands.

While some of you yahoo's are defending the news crews, What gives them the right to be above the law? I so hope one day you need a police officer's help and they just keep walking by as a group of rabid teens are beating the bejesus out of you.

want2bAbronco2
04-22-2009, 05:29 PM
I'll give the cop the go this time. They have to deal with douche bags all day, then when they give an order many many times the reporters refused to leave. What makes them special? After 1 order they should have left, if the cop was in the wrong you take it up with his boss.

Wouldnt have as many problems in the cities/prisions if there wasnt so many hug a thugs/anti cops in the world.

TheReverend
04-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Um, good quick thinking on the cop's part. Act like a crazy man and arrest a guy while the cameraman is taping it. When he gets fired, he can go ahead and start that career as a rocket surgeon he's always dreamed of.

Just wanted to point that out, buddy :)

want2bAbronco2
04-22-2009, 05:31 PM
It's stupid sh!t like this why we have the boarder patrol agents in prison instead of supporting their families for doing nothing wrong.

BroncoBuff
04-22-2009, 05:34 PM
A "rocket surgeon" ... ROFL!

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 05:34 PM
I'll give the cop the go this time. They have to deal with douche bags all day, then when they give an order many many times the reporters refused to leave. What makes them special? After 1 order they should have left, if the cop was in the wrong you take it up with his boss.

Wouldnt have as many problems in the cities/prisions if there wasnt so many hug a thugs/anti cops in the world.

I am with you Florida Bronco. The news crew was asked to leave repeatedly and refused to move. If I was a cop I would have tazed both of the ****ing a-holes for not listening to my commands.

While some of you yahoo's are defending the news crews, What gives them the right to be above the law? I so hope one day you need a police officer's help and they just keep walking by as a group of rabid teens are beating the bejesus out of you.

Thanks guys!

Dexter
04-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Again, a moot point.

1) They could have been witnesses or people who stopped to help. They were certainly not news crew vehicles.

2) They may have been asked to move before, or after this arrest took place.

3) It doesn't matter anyway.

Again, it's pretty simple. Those two ignored a lawful order multiple times and were arrested. You can piss and moan about it all you want, but the cop was acting within the scope of his duty.

End of story.

I don't get how that is a moot point. He flat out jumped the fence and went for the reporters, while there were other people standing around observing the accident. Even if he did tell the other people to leave, how does he have power to do that? They weren't in the way because they were on the OTHER side of the road. Nothing they did was against the law.

All the news crew wanted to do was interview the actual heroes in this. But apparently that's dangerous and obstructing traffic, when they are on the opposite shoulder.

I'll agree with you that they should have reacted toward the officer in a little bit of a different manner, but he should have done the same. The fact that they had cameras, and they are reporters are the reason they were targeted by that cop. If they were just another random citizen he wouldn't have done anything.

baja
04-22-2009, 05:37 PM
I am with you Florida Bronco. The news crew was asked to leave repeatedly and refused to move. If I was a cop I would have tazed both of the ****ing a-holes for not listening to my commands.

I think the cop became angry when the slick white dude called his "Beaner" and the other slick white guy called him "pepper belly", well they didn't actually say it but they were thinking it. ;D

Donk
04-22-2009, 05:40 PM
The reporter was a bigger ass then the cop.

They were both doing their job!

Dexter
04-22-2009, 05:41 PM
The reporter was being a bigger ass then the cop.

They were both doing their job!

:giggle: :thumbs:

DenverBrit
04-22-2009, 05:41 PM

No, not at all.....but they should be able to exercise their First Amendment rights and report to the rest of us what's happening.

enjolras
04-22-2009, 05:43 PM
But all that is really a moot point. The officer gave them repeated lawful orders which they ignored (arrogantly in the reporters case) and were arrested. End of story.

Just because it's issued by a cop doesn't make it a lawful order. Cops do not have unlimited power to order citizens to do things. Particularly when they are at such a long distance from the crime scene.

I, for one, am tired of living in a police state in which officers actions are largely above reproach. We incarcerate more people than any other nation on earth (in the land of the FREE!?!?!?)... the whole thing needs to just stop.

enjolras
04-22-2009, 05:45 PM
No, not at all.....but they should be able to exercise their First Amendment rights and report to the rest of us what's happening.

I'll go further and say that people should be free to do whatever the hell they want (hire a prostitute, do drugs, etc...) right up to the edge that it directly affects anothers safety or personal happiness (and no, being mortified at someone elses actions doesn't impinge on your ability to be happy).

azbroncfan
04-22-2009, 05:48 PM

You need to reread my post. I said that there wasn't enough of the clip to make a good guess. Yes the cop can have them move their vehicle but he proved that he can't keep his cool under pressure and is anything but a professional. He could of given the order in a nice professional way with a simple sentence instead of going in a lose all cool power trip. Cops with power trips can write tickets that can really effect peoples lives at later dates and make many big decisions with the little training that they get. All this cop proved is he can't handle situations in the best way possible and has the ability to make situations worse than they were before.

TheReverend
04-22-2009, 05:54 PM
What's the problem? The cop's just rolling like a boss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NisCkxU544c&feature=player_embedded

Donk
04-22-2009, 05:59 PM
I'll go further and say that people should be free to do whatever the hell they want (hire a prostitute, do drugs, etc...) right up to the edge that it directly affects anothers safety or personal happiness (and no, being mortified at someone elses actions doesn't impinge on your ability to be happy).

If you are parked at the side of the road and are are slowing traffic you are affecting others safety.
Look where he is parked. They should have towed his truck.

baja
04-22-2009, 06:01 PM
You need to reread my post. I said that there wasn't enough of the clip to make a good guess. Yes the cop can have them move their vehicle but he proved that he can't keep his cool under pressure and is anything but a professional. He could of given the order in a nice professional way with a simple sentence instead of going in a lose all cool power trip. Cops with power trips can write tickets that can really effect peoples lives at later dates and make many big decisions with the little training that they get. All this cop proved is he can't handle situations in the best way possible <b>and has the ability to make situations worse than they were before.

He very good at it too.

DenverBrit
04-22-2009, 06:07 PM
If you are parked at the side of the road and are are slowing traffic you are affecting others safety.
Look where he is parked. They should have towed his truck.

Which explains why the cop handcuffed him on camera, then arrested the cameraman. Ha!

cutthemdown
04-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Those other vehicles were closer to the accident and not news vehicles. Logic would say they were probably witnesses and/or stopped to help. We also don't know if they were told to move their vehicles before or after this incident.

The community has a right to observe the police, record the police, from a safe distance. Just because a cop tells someone to leave deosn't make it a lawful order. If the order infringes on civil rights then its not lawful.

But hey you are the one who said that in your opinion cops are the most trustworthy people in any profession. I still laugh about that one when I think about all the dirty cops my brothers law firm has uncovered. Cops lie almost daily, its part of their culture.

Broncochica
04-22-2009, 06:11 PM
If you are parked at the side of the road and are are slowing traffic you are affecting others safety. Look where he is parked. They should have towed his truck.

You're right & I wish they would have towed his truck. Those 2 idiots were provoking the Officer. I'm glad he arrested them, too bad he didn't smack them around a bit as well lol! :thumbs:

cutthemdown
04-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Any cop that out of control and angry because of a reporter probably shouldn't be carrying a gun.

Reporters have a right to report the news and that truck seemed to be on the shoulder not really impeding traffic anymore then it already was because of the rubbernecking.

Broncochica
04-22-2009, 06:16 PM
But hey you are the one who said that in your opinion cops are the most trustworthy people in any profession. I still laugh about that one when I think about all the dirty cops my brothers law firm has uncovered. Cops lie almost daily, its part of their culture.

Some.......there are bad cops BUT the majority are NOT and they risk their life's everyday protecting people like you and me from low lifes. :curtsey:

epicSocialism4tw
04-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Whatta douche. Wonder what will happen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYDw1Za8F-I&feature=player_embedded

Yet another instance of a power-crazed cop who is over his head in a job where he is given the power to ruin peoples lives.

Dedhed
04-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Exactly. They are stopped on the side of the highway/freeway where they should not have been and disobeyed a lawful order to move their vehicle. Even if they weren't warned prior to the clip we were shown, the officer still have them SEVERAL warnings to move and they ignored them.

They were given plenty of oppourtunity to leave and choose to ignore the officer. They paid the price for it by getting arrested.

And the douche will pay the price with his job. Cops are going to learn, apparently the hard way, that in the video age they aren't going to get away with "harassing" instead of "protecting and serving".

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 06:18 PM
The community has a right to observe the police, record the police, from a safe distance. And that has what, exactly, to do with this?

Just because a cop tells someone to leave deosn't make it a lawful order. I suggest you look up the definition of lawful order.

If the order infringes on civil rights then its not lawful. Agreed. Too bad for these two fools, that parking your news truck on the shoulder of a road that is only for emergency stopping, is not a civil right.

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 06:19 PM
And the douche will pay the price with his job.

Care to make a bet on that?

epicSocialism4tw
04-22-2009, 06:21 PM
The community has a right to observe the police, record the police, from a safe distance. Just because a cop tells someone to leave deosn't make it a lawful order. If the order infringes on civil rights then its not lawful.

This is the problem. Cops believe it to be their right to issue decrees. They are simply the acting arm of the law.

The brother of my sister-in-law is a cop, and the first time i met the guy he went on and on about how he stops people just because he doesnt like them. He's sitting there at dinner spouting off at the mouth about several instances where he abused his power to exact some sort of his own personal justice. I didnt say a word to him. The guy was obvoiusly a bitter, jaded, power-mad idiot. A lowlife who's performance makes him a criminal worse than most.

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Any cop that out of control and angry because of a reporter probably shouldn't be carrying a gun. He was not out of control. He gave them a lawful order and multiple chances to follow it. When they disobeyed, he placed them under arrest.

Nothing illegal about what he did.

Reporters have a right to report the news Not at the expense of the investigation/rescue efforts or the need for free flowing traffic.

and that truck seemed to be on the shoulder not really impeding traffic anymore then it already was because of the rubbernecking. The shoulder is for emergency parking only. Since what they were doing would not qualify as an emergency, they should not have been there and the cop was well within his bounds to make them move.

Broncochica
04-22-2009, 06:24 PM
And the douche will pay the price with his job.

LOL For what...doing his job???

baja
04-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Care to make a bet on that?

He will definitely lose his job rather it is fair or not. IMO the dude is too out of control to be a cop. This will make a nice training film though.

End of Story.

PS It made the national news.

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 06:25 PM
LOL For what...doing his job???

Just look at his username and it explains everything.

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 06:26 PM
He will definitely lose his job rather it is fair or not. IMO the dude is to out of control to be a cop. End of Story.

So you want to make a bet on that?

Broncochica
04-22-2009, 06:26 PM
He was not out of control. He gave them a lawful order and multiple chances to follow it. When they disobeyed, he placed them under arrest.

Not at the expense of the investigation/rescue efforts or the need for free flowing traffic.

The shoulder is for emergency parking only. Since what they were doing would not qualify as an emergency, they should not have been there and the cop was well within his bounds to make them move.

Exactly!!! Why is this so difficult for some to understand, just sayin'!

Dedhed
04-22-2009, 06:27 PM
He was not out of control. He gave them a lawful order and multiple chances to follow it. When they disobeyed, he placed them under arrest.

Not at the expense of the investigation/rescue efforts or the need for free flowing traffic.

The shoulder is for emergency parking only. Since what they were doing would not qualify as an emergency, they should not have been there and the cop was well within his bounds to make them move.
I see the brainwashing is working. "it was a lawful order, squawk, the law rules all. It was a lawful order, squawk, the law rules all".

If you think that cops approach was appropriate, I have serious concerns for the safety of the public in whatever precinct you end up in.

Broncochica
04-22-2009, 06:27 PM

:rofl: Hilarious!

Dedhed
04-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Exactly!!! Why is this so difficult for some to understand, just sayin'!

I'm pretty sure a car accident constitutes an emergency. Just sayin'

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 06:29 PM
I see the brainwashing is working. "it was a lawful order, squawk, the law rules all. It was a lawful order, squawk, the law rules all". As opposed to the brainwashing of the general public which seems to think it can do whatever it wants and the law be damned? Kinda like this news crew?

If you think that cops approach was appropriate, I have serious concerns for the safety of the public in whatever precinct you end up in. I'm extremely saddened to hear that.

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 06:30 PM

Sure, if you're involved or stop because you're a witness or need to help the victims.

A news crew stopping to film the scene and interview people is not an emergency.

Dedhed
04-22-2009, 06:31 PM

We can't all be as creative as your UN. You've never used that comeback with me before either. It seems your only defense. That, and of course, THE LAW!

Broncochica
04-22-2009, 06:32 PM

Of course it does...especially if there's anyone who may be injured! :D

ohiobronco2
04-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Let me start off by saying that I'm not a cop hater. Actually wanted to work in law enforcement at one point in time, but determined I don't have the patience after an internship with a local department. Frankly, this officer didn't have any either (patience that is). The reporter seemed to just be doing his job. I don't think he was disrespectful to the officer, initially he was just trying to explain himself. I didn't hear, but did the officer say why he was asking him to leave? It is the reporters right to report the news as long as what he was doing was not illegal or interfere. While he may not be punished, it is a black eye for the department and that officer is going to receive hell from the public.

There are many fine officers and many who have a power trip and have no reason to be officers in the first place. I went to school with 2 kids who ended up becoming officers. One was a jerk, who was always trying to start fights with people. I believe he selected this occupation because he thought he could get away with sh*t. Anyways, one night he was off duty at a club and picked a fight with a bouncer. Got his a** kicked badly. Was fired after that. Justice was served. The other used to try to pick a fight with my brother (when he was going to a vocation school, studying to be a police officer), but would never man up. However he always stated that once he became a cop, he was going to make my brothers life a living hell.

baja
04-22-2009, 06:33 PM
So you want to make a bet on that?

OK I'll bet tags

Your's will say;

I am baja's Huckelberry

Dedhed
04-22-2009, 06:33 PM
Sure, if you're involved or stop because you're a witness or need to help the victims.

A news crew stopping to film the scene and interview people is not an emergency.
SO, informing the masses that there was a major accident so they can avoid the area isn't helpful?

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 06:43 PM
SO, informing the masses that there was a major accident so they can avoid the area isn't helpful?

Why are you bringing up helpful? Helpful isn't the criteria for using the shoulder.

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 06:44 PM
OK I'll bet tags

Your's will say;

I am baja's Huckelberry

Deal. I'll have to think one up.

cutthemdown
04-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Not to mention that the reporter started back for the truck and the cop them chased him and arrested him.

I went out with some buddies on a copwatch one night here in Long Beach. Whoa I will never do that again. We got to a park where 3-4 gangmembers were being arrested. We started taping. First thing cops did was come tell us to leave. We said we are copwatch and we have a right to show people what cops are doing on the streets as long as we keep a safe distance.

They said fine. They then turned the cop cars spotlights on us so we couldn't see, lol. So we took off only to be pulled over a few blocks away. In the car was a plain clothes DUO of cops who proceeded to photograph all of us and ask our names, check ids, then let us go.

That's just how cops are, they don't want any civilian oversight to there beatings and coruption.

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 06:47 PM
Let me start off by saying that I'm not a cop hater. Actually wanted to work in law enforcement at one point in time, but determined I don't have the patience after an internship with a local department. Frankly, this officer didn't have any either (patience that is). The reporter seemed to just be doing his job. I don't think he was disrespectful to the officer, initially he was just trying to explain himself. I didn't hear, but did the officer say why he was asking him to leave? It is the reporters right to report the news as long as what he was doing was not illegal or interfere. While he may not be punished, it is a black eye for the department and that officer is going to receive hell from the public.

Good post.

When the cop was on the fence telling him to move the truck, the reporter replied that he was "just going to interview this guy." He didn't ask. He told the cop (pretty arrogantly IMO) that he was going to do something else, and it looks like it set the cop off.

Had the reporter actually asked, I'd have more sympathy for them. That wasn't the case though. Even then, they both had plenty of chance to leave before they were arrested.

cutthemdown
Why are you bringing up helpful? Helpful isn't the criteria for using the shoulder.

So where does a reporter go on a freeway or highway to report the news? Or is that an area in your opinion that reporters will just never be able to go.

Here in LA when there are bad accidents its totally common for reporters vans to be off the side of the road and for the reporters to be reporting. Seriously you see it all the time.

Also there were other cars on same shoulder so the traffic impeding thing couldnt be the reason. This cop just didn't want them reporting for some reason, and wanted to demonstrate his power by removing them.

Since there was a car in front of the truck, how does the truck moving help the flow of traffic?

Dedhed

I think we already established the emergency part of the equation. Try to keep up.

baja
04-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Deal. I'll have to think one up.

No no you have to tell me what it is before we have a bet.

cutthemdown
04-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Good post.

When the cop was on the fence telling him to move the truck, the reporter replied that he was "just going to interview this guy." He didn't ask. He told the cop (pretty arrogantly IMO) that he was going to do something else, and it looks like it set the cop off.

Had the reporter actually asked, I'd have more sympathy for them. That wasn't the case though. Even then, they both had plenty of chance to leave before they were arrested.

Just a question are you a cop yet? and if not why the hell is it taking so long? Does it take yrs to become a cop? Most people I know are cops like a year or so after deciding.

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 06:51 PM
I think we already established the emergency part of the equation. Try to keep up.

Then why would you bring up something that is not an emergency. Try to keep up.

Dedhed
04-22-2009, 06:52 PM

No, No, a cop can tel you whatever he wants, and you have to obey. KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!

Dedhed
04-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Then why would you bring up something that is not an emergency. Try to keep up.

Focus man. The reporters are using the shoulder in an emergency to aid the public. That is lawful use of the shoulder.

ak1971
04-22-2009, 06:59 PM
The cop should have shot him. That microphone is a deadly weapon.

Then he should have unloaded on the camera man...that camera could be a shoulder fired weapon

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Just a question are you a cop yet? Nope.

and if not why the hell is it taking so long? The recession, for one, has really dealt police departments hard. On top of that, we had Amendment 1 pass here in Florida, which really screwed us.

The sheriff's department in my county has laid off over 100 sworn personnel in the last year (while I was in the hiring process for a corrections officer spot) and they are still facing more possible layoffs and no more hiring until probably 2010 or 2011. Everyone else went on a hiring freeze, and only a few are just now starting to come out of it, but the spots they have are getting quickly filled up by former officers who were laid off.

With all that going on, I wasn't going to spend thousands of dollars to put myself through the academy with no job prospects in the near future.

Plus on top of that, I decided in Oct of last year that I was going to move out of Florida, so the job hunt here is pretty much over.

Does it take yrs to become a cop? Most people I know are cops like a year or so after deciding. In some states, yes.

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Focus man. The reporters are using the shoulder in an emergency to aid the public. That is lawful use of the shoulder.

Their aiding the public is not emergency use, I hate to tell you. If they were pulling people out of the wreck, then that argument would work.

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 07:04 PM

Ok, that's fine.

I gotta run an errand real quick. I'll be back in about an hour and I'll post it then.

Northman
04-22-2009, 07:08 PM
This is the problem. Cops believe it to be their right to issue decrees. They are simply the acting arm of the law.

The brother of my sister-in-law is a cop, and the first time i met the guy he went on and on about how he stops people just because he doesnt like them. He's sitting there at dinner spouting off at the mouth about several instances where he abused his power to exact some sort of his own personal justice. I didnt say a word to him. The guy was obvoiusly a bitter, jaded, power-mad idiot. A lowlife who's performance makes him a criminal worse than most.

I just emailed him your response here. Good luck. Ha!

cutthemdown
04-22-2009, 07:08 PM
The cop should have shot him. That microphone is a deadly weapon.

Then he should have unloaded on the camera man...that camera could be a shoulder fired weapon

FLA would still say well you can obviously see the camera does look a lot like a stinger missle. Not to mention there has been a huge influx of guns disguised as microphones that have been used in 3 fatal cop killings in the last week alone.

I can't give you a link to those killing because they happened on a freeway were there was no lawful shoulder for any reporters to make a story about it. Trust me you would be surprised how much goes on you don't know about it. About 50% of the news is lost because it happens where a cop says you have no lawful right to be.

Northman
04-22-2009, 07:10 PM
I see the brainwashing is working. "it was a lawful order, squawk, the law rules all. It was a lawful order, squawk, the law rules all".

If you think that cops approach was appropriate, I have serious concerns for the safety of the public in whatever precinct you end up in.

The Code is the Law.

http://www.derok.net/images/entertainment/johnny%20depp%20pirates%20of%20the%20caribbean.jpg

baja
04-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Just a question are you a cop yet? and if not why the hell is it taking so long? Does it take yrs to become a cop? Most people I know are cops like a year or so after deciding.

He's a Mall Cop it's kinda like junior college

Dedhed
04-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Their aiding the public is not emergency use, I hate to tell you. If they were pulling people out of the wreck, then that argument would work.

But keeping people from piling on the back end doesn't count. Get real.

azbroncfan
04-22-2009, 07:16 PM

What constitutes an emergency? It doesn't take much and it is a lot less than pulling people out of an accident.

DHallblows
04-22-2009, 07:20 PM
I so hope one day you need a police officer's help and they just keep walking by as a group of rabid teens are beating the bejesus out of you.

If this happens, it'll be because he has more important things to do...like yelling at news reporters...

bombay
04-22-2009, 07:22 PM
Is there any cop behavior that the mall cop dude won't automatically excuse?

cutthemdown
04-22-2009, 07:23 PM
He's a Mall Cop it's kinda like junior college

Cmon you are kidding right? That would explain why Mall cops are such pricks. If all of them are wanna be cops that couldn't get a job, or were denied, then yeah I bet they are pissed off.

Does he ride a segway?

24champ
04-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Here in LA when there are bad accidents its totally common for reporters vans to be off the side of the road and for the reporters to be reporting. Seriously you see it all the time.

No it isn't common.

More often than not, LA local news uses Helicopters to view the scene.

Northman
04-22-2009, 07:27 PM
No it isn't common.

Yea, i never see any news trucks pulled over on 95 to view and report accidents. Its always helicopters.

cutthemdown
04-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Is there any cop behavior that the mall cop dude won't automatically excuse?

Yeah he thought the cop that just shot that dude in the back while he was on ground was over the line.

He said the LAPD guys that robbed the bank were probably not good cops.

so yeah some stuff but it has to be pretty bad.

I asked FLORIDA one time if he thought in general that cops were more honest and trustworthy then other professions. Like Doctors, Lawyers, Nurses, Managers, Engineers etc etc. He answered, Yes, he believes they are on avg more honest.

The funny thing is that is a question ATTY love to ask cops in depositions. It gives you a good idea of how they think. Very few cops answer they think cops just like everyone else, and if they do I think most of the time they are lying.

It's a tough job to be a cop, but IMO they aren't more honest then civilians. They are just more honest with the civilians they deal with most, criminals. In fact I have seen through experience that criminals lie the most, Cops the second most, and the regular civilians come in 3rd.

The whole system needs an overhaul. Starting with the prison system and certain laws that need to be changed, right down to how policing is done and how people are funneled through justice system.

First order of business should be more and better training for police. Fewer police, but higher quality ones.

Then we need to decriminalize drugs and not send people to jail for that anymore unless you are a drug kingpin.

Then we have to make sure that the gangs dont run the prisons. By running the prisons they run the streets as well.

We need to be able to segregate the prisoners by gang affiliation. Gangs if segregated would not be able to recruit as easily.

cutthemdown
04-22-2009, 07:33 PM
No it isn't common.

I see news vans all over the place. They love getting people on the ground, on overpasses, on the shoulder. True they love getting the shot from the air as well.

Br0nc0Buster
04-22-2009, 07:39 PM
I dont really think this was all that bad.
The cop was kind of a dick, but I have dealt with worse than that.

In fact almost every cop I have ever dealt with has been worse than that.

24champ
04-22-2009, 07:43 PM
I see news vans all over the place. They love getting people on the ground, on overpasses, on the shoulder.

Rarely happens. I've traveled the LA freeway system quite often a few years ago and never see vans all over the place reporting a car crash. Nine times out of ten they are going to have a helicopter over the scene and warn people to divert from the scene.

They are on the scene for neighborhood crashes sometimes, but rarely if ever do they report from a freeway/highway.

baja
04-22-2009, 07:43 PM
I dont really think this was all that bad.
The cop was kind of a dick, but I have dealt with worse than that.

In fact almost every cop I have ever dealt with has been worse than that.

You must be a peach of a guy.

Broncos_OTM
04-22-2009, 07:51 PM
This is the United States of America, what happened to rights?. Those reporters were just doing their jobs, weren't doing anything unsafe and had a right to be there. This is a cop on a power trip, I guess we should just let those in power do whatever they want right????

A cop is supposed to serve and protect the people. Who was he protecting there? They were on the opposite shoulder, pulled over. If there was a legitimiate reason for not being there, the cop could have explained why he wanted their truck move.

Yet he decides to be aggressive, yell and not explain anything. Some people act like just because a cop is a cop, he can tell people to do whatever he wants. They weren't doing anything illegal.:)

The cop told them to move the car. PERIOD. you disobey a cop and you will be arrested right or wrong. atleast they didnt leave him shot up on the side of the road likie they would do in some countries. a little bit of a exageration but still.

Public safety of the OTHER MOTORISTS on the road. everyone rubber necks accidents and the more comotion the more probablilty for a accident the cop was right in what he did. HEAS LOOKING OUT FOR PUBLIC SAFETY.THE REPORTER GOT THE ATTITUDE that he could do whatever he anted due to his position. and got rapped on the knuckles.

This is comeing from a guy who has ACAB tattoed on his forearm. ALl Cops Are Bastards. i have no love for cops but he was in the right. reporters and media types are way worse in my mind then most cops..... by far.. i just got a new tattoo idea.

cutthemdown
04-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Rarely happens. I've traveled the LA freeway system quite often a few years ago and never see vans all over the place reporting a car crash. Nine times out of ten they are going to have a helicopter over the scene and warn people to divert from the scene.

They are on the scene for neighborhood crashes sometimes, but rarely if ever do they report from a freeway/highway.

Lived here my whole life seen it many times.

Broncos_OTM
04-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Yeah he thought the cop that just shot that dude in the back while he was on ground was over the line.

I asked FLORIDA one time if he thought in general that cops were more honest and trustworthy then other professions. Like Doctors, Lawyers, Nurses, Managers, Engineers etc etc. He answered, Yes, he believes they are on avg more honest.

The funny thing is that is a question ATTY love to ask cops in depositions. It gives you a good idea of how they think. Very few cops answer they think cops just like everyone else, and if they do I think most of the time they are lying.

It's a tough job to be a cop, but IMO they aren't more honest then civilians. They are just more honest with the civilians they deal with most, criminals. In fact I have seen through experience that criminals lie the most, Cops the second most, and the regular civilians come in 3rd.

The whole system needs an overhaul. Starting with the prison system and certain laws that need to be changed, right down to how policing is done and how people are funneled through justice system.

First order of business should be more and better training for police. Fewer police, but higher quality ones.

Then we need to decriminalize drugs and not send people to jail for that anymore unless you are a drug kingpin.

Then we have to make sure that the gangs dont run the prisons. By running the prisons they run the streets as well.

We need to be able to segregate the prisoners by gang affiliation. Gangs if segregated would not be able to recruit as easily.

OK that is some of the most idiotic **** ihave ever read. Decriminalizze drugs.. are you a ****ing idiot??? i hope some drug dealer sells your kid(s)drugs. Drugs cause crime.

You understimate people and there ability to adapt. You start segragating people and they will find a way to pray on the weak. as long as there are powerful people and weak people this will always happens. we could segragate like they do in cali by race but i really dont think that is causeing less of a problem.

what they should due is seperate white collar crimes away from career criminals rapists murders and such. those need to be stuck on a island and be forgotten about

24champ
04-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Lived here my whole life seen it many times.

I'm an LA native, it rarely happens.

This is 2009, helicopters get them to the scene quicker, they aren't going to waste time sending a van out there. Especially in LA.ROFL!

Br0nc0Buster
04-22-2009, 08:15 PM
You must be a peach of a guy.

Im not sure what that is supposed to mean, but I am not the kind to antagonize a cop.

From my experience, cops can be very quick to overreact.

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 08:26 PM

You're kinda misrepresenting what I said there. My point in that conversation (how old was it now? seriously) is that a cop's career is tied to honesty.

Try to get hired as a cop and get caught lying about anything? Forget about being hired.

Get caught lying on record? Have fun ever having to go on the stand and testify to ANYTHING. I know this first hand, because a good friend of my dad used this in a divorce case. The cop, who also worked as a PI at the time, was testifying that he saw my dad's friend buying drugs with his son in the car. Him and his lawyer subpoenaed his file from the police department and found that he had been caught lying in his official duties and had his testimony thrown out.

So my point wasn't that police officers are inherently more honest people than in other professions, but rather that they have to be when on duty as being caught lying is a death sentence for their career.

bombay
04-22-2009, 08:26 PM

That's a very good post.

Nicely done.

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 08:27 PM

Ok Baja, I like that Huckleberry line, so if I win you put "Florida Bronco is my huckleberry"

Deal?

Dedhed
04-22-2009, 08:30 PM
you disobey a cop and you will be arrested right or wrong.

There's nowhere to begin describing how wrong this statement is.

Dedhed
04-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Try to get hired as a cop and get caught lying about anything? Forget about being hired.

So why lie about cops being more honest than other people?

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 08:34 PM
So why lie about cops being more honest than other people?

Who lied about that?

baja
04-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Im not sure what that is supposed to mean, but I am not the kind to antagonize a cop.

From my experience, cops can be very quick to overreact.

Dude if you have had lots of experiences with police worse that what we see in the thread video then you might look at the common denominator in the events, you.

baja
04-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Ok Baja, I like that Huckleberry line, so if I win you put "Florida Bronco is my huckleberry"

Deal?

OK for one month and if he gets a suspension it's a draw. Deal?

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 08:46 PM
OK for one month and if he gets a suspension it's a draw. Deal?

Deal.

cutthemdown
04-22-2009, 08:52 PM
You're kinda misrepresenting what I said there. My point in that conversation (how old was it now? seriously) is that a cop's career is tied to honesty.

Get caught lying on record? Have fun ever having to go on the stand and testify to ANYTHING. I know this first hand, because a good friend of my dad used this in a divorce case. The cop, who also worked as a PI at the time, was testifying that he saw my dad's friend buying drugs with his son in the car. Him and his lawyer subpoenaed his file from the police department and found that he had been caught lying in his official duties and had his testimony thrown out.

So my point wasn't that police officers are inherently more honest people than in other professions, but rather that they have to be when on duty as being caught lying is a death sentence for their career.

I don't think your logic hold up because that just means since getting caught would but career in peril they are more likely to keep lying to cover it up.

Dedhed
04-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Who lied about that?

um, you did. I really have to dot the i's for you don't I?

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 09:04 PM
I don't think your logic hold up because that just means since getting caught would but career in peril they are more likely to keep lying to cover it up.

Yeah, that could happen too.

Gcver2ver3
04-22-2009, 09:07 PM
i'm with Florida Bronco on this one...

that cop must've told those reporters 15 times to take a hike and they wouldn't go...if they have a problem with the officer, being insubordinate is not the way to handle it...

i only read comments from the 1st page of this thread so i may be saying things already covered and beaten to death...

but that's my two cents...

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 09:07 PM
um, you did. I really have to dot the i's for you don't I?

You might want to learn to take of your own dotting and crossing before you worry about mine. There was nothing in my statement that was a lie. You need to look over my explanation again.

And second, it was clearly an opinion of mine, which Cutthemdown asked for. For it to be a lie, you'd have to prove I said and didn't believe it.

HEAV
04-22-2009, 09:10 PM
The arrest of a KVIA-Ch 7 reporter and photographer Wednesday appeared to a former El Paso assistant police chief to have been an overreaction by an officer who saw his authority being challenged.

“It’s a national phenomenon that’s being studied, and it’s called ‘contempt of cop,’” said George DeAngelis, a former assistant chief in the El Paso Police Department with 28 years experience.

After watching the video more than once of the encounter that led to the arrest of KVIA reporter Darren Hunt and photojournalist Ric Dupont, DeAngelis concluded that both were at fault.

But he had a lot to say about the behavior of Sgt. Raul Ramirez, a supervisor with 19 years on the force.

“People go to jail in contempt-of-cop situations more than any reason nationally,” DeAngelis said. “You could see it in the video. The situation became more personal between the officer and the reporter than the overriding issues of public safety.

“You can see it, and you and hear it in the language of the officer when he said, ‘I gave you an order.’ That’s what contempt means: ‘How dare you not obey my order.’ It’s personal. You’re challenging the officer’s authority. It has nothing to do at that point with the overall safety of the scene. That’s why you see him reacting emotionally rather than rationally.”

Police departments around the country have recognized the problem and are coming up with ways to determine when officers are showing signs of inappropriate reactions to the public they deal with every day.

Hunt and DuPont were covering the scene of an accident in which a semi-tractor trailer overturned, blocking the three west-bound lanes of Interstate-10.

The journalists had parked in front of several police and emergency vehicles on the inside shoulder of east-bound side of the interstate and had conducted one interview with a witness when Ramirez climbed the barrier fence in the middle of the freeway and began ordering the journalists to leave.

That in itself was surprising, said DeAngelis, who teaches criminal justice at Park University in El Paso.

“You have to remember, he’s a supervisor,” DeAngelis said of Ramirez. “He should be directing that scene. But you can see he’s climbing the fence. His body language is very aggressive. He feels his authority is being challenged. He has one thing on his mind: ‘I’m going to show you who’s in charge here.’ All sense of reasonableness has evaporated.”

DeAngelis conceded that it is easy to criticize and second guess an officer after the fact, and he noted that, technically speaking, the news media should not be working on the interstate median, though it is routinely done.

“But the proper way to have handled it would have been to explain the problem, to give the lawful order for them to leave the scene. Then, if he felt himself losing it because of Mr. Hunt’s reluctance to go, he could have directed one of the officers to be sure that Mr. Hunt is leaving.”

Hunt could not be reached for comment, but KVIA’s assignments editor, Carlos Rosales, who has worked as a newspaper photographer and a TV cameraman and editor in Dallas and El Paso, said TV news teams have used the median shoulders to cover freeway accidents for years.

“Everybody does it that way,” Rosales said. “You go to the median and park in front of the emergency vehicles so drivers can see them. We were parked in front of several police units. … It’s the same way everywhere. You just don’t get in the way and you don’t obstruct traffic.”

After being arrested, Hunt and DuPont were taken to the West Side Regional Command Center where, after a review of the circumstances, they were released from custody without being charged with any offense.

“Anytime an arrest is made, it will typically be reviewed by a supervisor,” police spokesman Javier Sambrano, a former TV reporter himself, said. “Since they were arrested by a sergeant, it was reviewed by the West Side commander.

“After a review of everything, the commander felt there was not enough probably cause to continue with the arrest. His decision was that it didn’t meet the elements or wasn’t strong enough.”

Sambrano said future officers do receive an hour or two of training on how to deal with the news media while they are in training at the police academy.

But officers evidently do not receive additional training on the subject later in their careers.

Sambrano also said TV news teams routinely set up in the median of the freeway on the opposite side of an accident to do their jobs and that there is no local police policy prohibiting them from doing so.

It is, however, against the law to use the shoulders on either side of the interstate for any reason except an emergency.

Asked if there was some reason for Ramirez to have reacted the way he did, Sambrano said that is being investigated, and the officer will remain on desk duty until a decision is made.

Br0nc0Buster
04-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Dude if you have had lots of experiences with police worse that what we see in the thread video then you might look at the common denominator in the events, you.

I havent had "lots", I have had a few
When you are in college, it really isnt that rare to have run ins with a cop when you go out drinking and partying. Almost all of my friends have had to deal with cops, and a few have been arrested.....it doesnt mean they are bad people or trouble makers.

But I have been on the wrong end of a couple misunderstandings with the popo, and its not that big of a deal.
One cop even apologized to me afterwards.

HEAV
04-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Dude, I was TOTALLY going to comment on that. He looks like he has 3X too many lower front teeth. Yow!

Plus the teeth are staggard at times up down up down up.

gunns
04-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Yeah, he could have chilled out for sure, but nothing he did was illegal and I doubt he broke any department policies either.

Chances of this cop being punished are next to zero, and rightfully so.

Then maybe department policies should be revamped. The reporter was walking away and telling the cop they had a right to be there and that the camera man had a right to be filming. All the cop could say is I gave you an order. That cop works for US, supposedly to protect us, and I don't see where that was happening. The cop seemed to get a hair up his ass when someone didn't cowtow to his order. He has no right to arbitarily give orders to show he can. The reporter was NOT causing any disruption to the accident or traffic. So tell me, what was the order for....to show he could? I think so. And anyone who thinks the cop will have to answer for this is crazy, hell they get away with shooting unarmed people.

“People go to jail in contempt-of-cop situations more than any reason nationally,” DeAngelis said. “You could see it in the video. The situation became more personal between the officer and the reporter than the overriding issues of public safety.

“You can see it, and you and hear it in the language of the officer when he said, ‘I gave you an order.’ That’s what contempt means: ‘How dare you not obey my order.’ It’s personal. You’re challenging the officer’s authority. It has nothing to do at that point with the overall safety of the scene. That’s why you see him reacting emotionally rather than rationally.”

Case in point.

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Then maybe department policies should be revamped. The reporter was walking away and telling the cop they had a right to be there and that the camera man had a right to be filming. All the cop could say is I gave you an order. That cop works for US, supposedly to protect us, and I don't see where that was happening. The cop seemed to get a hair up his ass when someone didn't cowtow to his order. He has no right to arbitarily give orders to show he can. The reporter was NOT causing any disruption to the accident or traffic. So tell me, what was the order for....to show he could? I think so. And anyone who thinks the cop will have to answer for this is crazy, hell they get away with shooting unarmed people.

I was wondering when one of the board's most well known cop haters was going to chime in.

I don't think I need to explain (for like, the 25th time now) why the order was lawful and the news crew was bound by that order, but I'll just note that other than the usual cop hating suspects here, it seems alot of people are siding with the cop on this one. Even a poster who has "all cops are bastards" tattooed on his arm.

Seems pretty telling, of more than just one thing, to me

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 09:21 PM
Case in point.

From the same interview.

DeAngelis conceded that it is easy to criticize and second guess an officer after the fact, and he noted that, technically speaking, the news media should not be working on the interstate median, though it is routinely done.

Again, lawful order was disobeyed and the news crew was arrested. 100% legal.

baja
04-22-2009, 09:28 PM
Plus the teeth are staggard at times up down up down up.

I'm going to call him escalator mouth

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm going to call him escalator mouth

:rofl: :thanku:

That's great.

Gcver2ver3
04-22-2009, 09:31 PM
those reporters were smucks...

baja
04-22-2009, 09:32 PM
Florida Bronco;

Asked if there was some reason for Ramirez to have reacted the way he did, Sambrano said that is being investigated, and the officer will remain on desk duty until a decision is made.

He's being disciplined by being taken off the streets (Suspended from doing his normal job ) so the best you can hope for here is a push.

gunns
04-22-2009, 09:35 PM
I was wondering when one of the board's most well known cop haters was going to chime in.

I don't think I need to explain (for like, the 25th time now) why the order was lawful and the news crew was bound by that order, but I'll just note that other than the usual cop hating suspects here, it seems alot of people are siding with the cop on this one. Even a poster who has "all cops are bastards" tattooed on his arm.

Seems pretty telling, of more than just one thing, to me

LOL, FB, just because you seem to finally be winning one doesn't make it right. THAT'S the point here. Any order given by a cop can be viewed as lawful, AND THAT'S why cops get away with over exertion of power. I've never been arrested, never had run in's with police, hell I haven't had a ticket since I was 18. Why do you suppose I have little to no respect for them FB? You seem to think some of us were just born cop haters or it was because of run in's. Not the case. Maybe it's because cops are becoming a real problem with taking their power too far and when it does go too far people make the same excuses for them, at the expense of their victims. It's becoming old and more and more people are coming to my way of thinking than yours. Once again, for the 25th time, like a co-worker of mine who was a former policeman said, you only become a policeman when you've failed at everything else in life. The power pumps you up.

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Florida Bronco;

He's being disciplined by being taken off the streets (Suspended from doing his normal job ) so the best you can hope for here is a push.

Being placed on desk duty isn't a suspension. It's SOP. Almost like when a cop is involved shooting. They don't want him on the streets while it's investigated.

Let's see if gets an actual suspension, not just desk duty.

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 09:40 PM
LOL, FB, just because you seem to finally be winning one doesn't make it right. You mean you forget that case of the Utah trooper tasering the guy on the side of the road and I told everyone EXACTLY what would happen about a full two weeks before the department issued it's ruling.

You should remember that vividly. You were the one who posted the ruling and LABF tried to champion it as a win for him when I made the prediction way ahead of time.

When it comes to police issues, I've been on the winning side more often than not when the actual rulings came down. Just because you and the rest of the cop haters disagree is irrelevant. :thumbs:

baja
04-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Being placed on desk duty isn't a suspension. It's SOP. Almost like when a cop is involved shooting. They don't want him on the streets while it's investigated.

Let's see if gets an actual suspension, not just desk duty.

Well it's not a commendation now is it.

Florida_Bronco
04-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Well it's not a commendation now is it.

Most definitely not.

enjolras
04-22-2009, 11:24 PM
OK that is some of the most idiotic **** ihave ever read. Decriminalizze drugs.. are you a ****ing idiot??? i hope some drug dealer sells your kid(s)drugs. Drugs cause crime.

Just curious, what's your stance on gun control?

fontaine
04-23-2009, 02:10 AM
What an a$$hole of a cop on an ego trip.

The reporter started backing towards his truck when Officer Ramirez told him to leave.

The reporter's body language was of a guy retreating but he did say "just doing our/his job" and that's when the cop lost it. Instead of explaining the situation and the order he grabbed the reporters belt/pants and started verbally laying into him.

This was all about ego and control. Ramirez never bothered explaining the lawful order which should be backed by local ordinance or regulations. Instead he was too busy trying to exert his authority.

Cops should explain the situation rather than just making it personal. Hope Ramirez has a good time being a mall security guard because that's where he's headed.

Broncojef
04-23-2009, 03:31 AM
those reporters were smucks...

Have to agree. I trust no one in the media these days. I'd rather see the 15 minutes leading up to that video. Was the crew trying to film just the truck? Did someone die in the accident? What actions happened before the tape that was provided for us to see? Policemen are under no standing orders to explain everything going on in time of crisis to the public..sometimes doing their job and securing an area supercede Joe reporter that wants a story. If the reporter wants a story most policemen are very accomoadating unless the crew starts interfering with a developing scene they need cleared. Without all the facts I always side with the police, and those dudes seemed to do nothing the officer asked of them....stupid.

Dedhed
04-23-2009, 07:42 AM
And second, it was clearly an opinion of mine, which Cutthemdown asked for. For it to be a lie, you'd have to prove I said and didn't believe it.
If you actually believe it, that's worse than lying about it. Sadly, I think you would be in the vast majority when it comes to cops who suffer delusions of grandeur; like believing in their moral superiority.

Dedhed
04-23-2009, 07:44 AM
What an a$$hole of a cop on an ego trip.

The reporter started backing towards his truck when Officer Ramirez told him to leave.

The reporter's body language was of a guy retreating but he did say "just doing our/his job" and that's when the cop lost it. Instead of explaining the situation and the order he grabbed the reporters belt/pants and started verbally laying into him.

This was all about ego and control. Ramirez never bothered explaining the lawful order which should be backed by local ordinance or regulations. Instead he was too busy trying to exert his authority.

Cops should explain the situation rather than just making it personal. Hope Ramirez has a good time being a mall security guard because that's where he's headed.I particularly thought it was rich when he was telling the guy to get in the truck and leave as he's ramming him into the hood of the truck. Then he tells him he's resisting. Classic pigger entrapment.

TailgateNut
04-23-2009, 07:56 AM
****tard on a power trip. It's on the cop.

QFT!

TailgateNut
04-23-2009, 08:00 AM
I feel sorry for the 1% good cops who are being made look like a-holes by the other 99%.

In all fairness that number should be 25% and 75%. There are a few good apples on the tree.

boltaneer
04-23-2009, 08:17 AM
I'm very curious why the officer singled out the reporter. Look at the line of cars on the shoulder in front and behind the reporter's truck! Look at all the people standing on the shoulder as well.

The officer should have given him an explanation as to why he wanted him to move. I'm still confused why he singled him out for no reason. But when the reporter finally agreed to leave, that's when the officer lost it. He had no reason to then decide to arrest him. He had agreed to leave and wasn't resisting in any way at that point. The officer let his emotions get the best of him. This was very poorly handled IMO. I would suspect that this is not the end of this story.

baja
04-23-2009, 08:30 AM
I'm very curious why the officer singled out the reporter. Look at the line of cars on the shoulder in front and behind the reporter's truck! Look at all the people standing on the shoulder as well.

The officer should have given him an explanation as to why he wanted him to move. I'm still confused why he singled him out for no reason. But when the reporter finally agreed to leave, that's when the officer lost it. He had no reason to then decide to arrest him. He had agreed to leave and wasn't resisting in any way at that point. The officer let his emotions get the best of him. This was very poorly handled IMO. I would suspect that this is not the end of this story.

maybe they have history.

broncsyanks
04-23-2009, 08:46 AM
how many times does a police officer have to give a person to move. from watching the video, i am with the police officer all the way on this one. if you look at the video- u see the traffice starting after the reporters van. he was clear when he said move the van. he didnt. just cause you are a reporter doesnt give you car blanch to do whatever you want. your doing your job- ok so is the cop. stopping traffic when he has no authority to do so is not your job reporter. he should feel blessed that they chose to let him go when he got back to the precinct. cop is in the clear on this one.

DHallblows
04-23-2009, 10:06 AM
Regardless of the lawfulness of any part of the situation, that cop is douchebag. Period. He didn't get physical with the reporter until AFTER he went back to the truck to leave. He also told him to leave...while holding him against his truck. That's productive how ??? And then to top it off:

"Do you want to get arrested?"
"No, I'll just go. It's fine, I'll just go."
"You know what, you're not going. You're not going."

THAT'S why there's so many "cop haters", because they do worthless **** like this when there's a ****ing accident. Go and be productive by helping move traffic along, not arresting someone that's doing nothing negatively affecting anyone...

epicSocialism4tw
04-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Regardless of the lawfulness of any part of the situation, that cop is douchebag. Period. He didn't get physical with the reporter until AFTER he went back to the truck to leave. He also told him to leave...while holding him against his truck. That's productive how ??? And then to top it off:

THAT'S why there's so many "cop haters", because they do worthless **** like this when there's a ****ing accident. Go and be productive by helping move traffic along, not arresting someone that's doing nothing negatively affecting anyone...

Its about having judgment, and this officer's judgment was clouded by his emotions to the point that it had a dramatically negative effect on the citizens in the situation.

Protect and serve...not enforce and imprison.

baja
04-23-2009, 10:36 AM
Its about having judgment, and this officer's judgment was clouded by his emotions to the point that it had a dramatically negative effect on the citizens in the situation.

Protect and serve...not enforce and imprison.

Great take your name change seems to have helped your prospective. ;D

TailgateNut
04-23-2009, 10:39 AM

But according to Fla Bronco and some of the others who back this dillwad, he gave a Lawfull order:rofl: ,

no mention of the fact that he didn't allow the citizen to obey it!

Natedogg
04-23-2009, 10:51 AM
What a horrible pig.