PDA

View Full Version : Teams' defensive schemes shape their draft decisions

Mediator12
04-22-2009, 12:23 PM
This is a very solid article on what should be happening with the defensive talent on the board come draft day. Remember, Overall draft grade provides a guideline to where a player might be drafted the soonest by a team. The scheme specific grades are where some "draft analysts" call a pick a reach or a steal. Low supply, heavily needed scheme players are often the ones who get reaches (Jarvis Moss DE and Marcus Thomas DT), while High supply non scheme differentiated players often fall into the steal category. Here is the article:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2009/rock042109.htm

The NFL will have 10 new head coaches at the beginning of next season and more than twice as many new defensive coordinators, with nearly half of the league employing elements of the 3-4 defense. For some teams such as Baltimore, Arizona, Tennessee and San Diego, continuity was sought, and new coordinator hires came from within. In other cities, such as Dallas, Jacksonville and Chicago, the head coach has taken control of the defense to maximize its execution. But for most, fairly radical changes in approach can be expected.

The following is a team-by-team look at defensive philosophy shifts and how they can be expected to influence decisions on Draft Day. Teams making changes in schemes are marked with an asterisk.

Denver Broncos*
Mike Nolan is expected to flop in and out of even and odd fronts to maximize his personnel, with the Broncos not currently featuring the big bodies needed on the line to easily run a “30” front. They will need to make the front seven a major focus in this year’s draft if Nolan is going to flexibly be able to shift between fronts. The secondary was completely revamped in free agency with the additions of Brian Dawkins, Renaldo Hill and André Goodman opposite Champ Bailey, which should allow Nolan to be very aggressive blitzing. However, D.J. Williams does not have enough length to rush the passer, and a rush linebacker is still desired along with a more stout nose tackle than free-agent addition Ronnie Fields.

The rest of the teams, if you care, are in the link!

OABB
04-22-2009, 12:24 PM
how is marcus thomas a reach in the 4th round?

no-pseudo-fan
04-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Nice find

Rohirrim
04-22-2009, 12:28 PM
That take leads me to believe that Rey and Matthews would have prominent spots on Nolan's draft board.

socalorado
04-22-2009, 12:32 PM
That take leads me to believe that Rey and Matthews would have prominent spots on Nolan's draft board.

DING! Winner! Or Cushing. He played DE, SAM and ILB at USC. Just sayin..

Mediator12
04-22-2009, 12:33 PM
how is marcus thomas a reach in the 4th round?

They traded up to get him. IF they just selected him, then I would not call it a reach. The reach was to go get him, not where he was selected.

However, a lot of teams let him get that far down the road and NOTHING he has done in DEN looks like they were wrong IMHO. He is just another rotatable DT on film with no sacks at UT in 21 starts. That is not even close to league average.

Mediator12
04-22-2009, 12:35 PM
BTW, Nolan talks very well in the vernacular about schemes. I would read it just to learn how complex and different NFL schemes are from College.

Old Dude
04-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Makes sense. It's the law of supply and demand at play.

TonyR
04-22-2009, 01:41 PM
However, a lot of teams let him get that far down the road and NOTHING he has done in DEN looks like they were wrong IMHO. He is just another rotatable DT on film with no sacks at UT in 21 starts. That is not even close to league average.

I agree. I think a lot of people got excited about him, thinking we got a "steal", and believe he's something that he's not. He's never done anything to impress me all that much. I'd use words like "serviceable" and "pedestrian" to describe him at this point.