PDA

View Full Version : Assorted draft rumors - NFL Radio

DrFate
04-22-2009, 11:04 AM
NFP's Andrew Brandt was on the Blitz and noted several topics of interest leading into the draft

-Stafford looking for 38 mil guaranteed may prevent Lions from drafting him

-Chiefs and Bills are talking trade. Bills are interested in the #3 pick but are concerned at the value they'd have to part with in order to get it. Buffalo is also said to want Tony Gonzalez as a part of the deal. Bills look to be in the market for a tackle, and at #3 they stand a good chance of landing either Jason Smith or Eugene Munroe. The chiefs are in love with DE Tyson Jackson

-The Browns are standing firm on trade demands for Matthias Kiwanuka and a draft pick. The Giants are refusing to part with #29 overall for Braylen Edwards, and has been reluctant to deal Kiwanuka.

-The Browns still have "a couple" offers on the table for Brady Quinn

-Sees nothing happening with Boldin this weekend.

-Percy Harvin is currently off the Draft boards of 9 teams ( OUCH)

-Jim Zorn is on "borrowed time" in Washington if they draft Sanchez

-Jeremy Maclin could go as high as 8 to the Jaguars

-Thinks Clay Matthews will be the best pro of the 3 USC linebackers

-Denver won't trade up for Sanchez

-The Jets are prepared to do whatever it takes to walk away with "a particular QB and WR" early in the draft

Edit: forgot the most important one; Raiders have been linked to Braylen Edwards, however the front office refuses to give up the #7 overall for him.

BroncoBuff
04-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Good stuff, thanks.

The Broncos avoiding Sanchez eases mind mind a considerable amount.

DrFate
04-22-2009, 11:12 AM

Can only hope...

If we move up to take him - we will ALL have a migraine on Saturday

:)

summerdenver
04-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks Bro.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Can only hope...

If we move up to take him - we will ALL have a migraine on Saturday

:)

I was taking a lot of comfort in that... but the fact that ALL the draftniks are reporting that Sanchez isn't who we're looking at makes me REALLY nervous. Makes me think more than ever that it's all a smokescreen...

Beantown Bronco
04-22-2009, 11:18 AM
I will continue my practice of believing nothing I hear leading up to the draft. Nobody is going to leak any real information. Why would they?

supermanhr9
04-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Man that makes me feel at rest, however I am reluctant to believe Matthews is better than Rey Rey, however I sell mechanical equipment for a living, I do not scout, so i don't know jack compared to them, I just know it would be good to have a crazy somoan on our team like polamalu. We haven't had one since maha tanavasa (spelling, sorry) who was a beast, but not a gamechanger like Rey Rey could be.

KCStud
04-22-2009, 11:22 AM
KC better receive a 2nd and their other 1st round pick at the very least for swapping 3 and 11 AND getting Gonzo.

I just don't see us letting Gonzo leave. Why let our best receiver leave when we have a new QB who needs him?

DrFate
I was taking a lot of comfort in that... but the fact that ALL the draftniks are reporting that Sanchez isn't who we're looking at makes me REALLY nervous. Makes me think more than ever that it's all a smokescreen...

Who knows for sure, at this point? I think The Hoodster really thinks he can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear (never used that one before) with Orton. I can't see them taking a QB early...

baja
I will continue my practice of believing nothing I hear leading up to the draft. Nobody is going to leak any real information. Why would they?

This.

Los Broncos
04-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Wake me up when were on the clock, all this means nothing.

OBF1
04-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Good stuff, thanks.

If we move up and draft Sanchez, 73" of flat screen TV is going out the window:strong:

BMarsh615
04-22-2009, 11:42 AM
I hope no deal happens where the queefs end up with the number 11 pick.

bap454
04-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Im down with the crzy somoan. I really think that Denver showing interest in Sanchez is just a smoke screen. Migrane, please, he just didnt want to waste any time looking at a player thats not going to be there at twelve. The visit to workout Sanchez just assures/garantees that he will be taken before our pick. Why? It only pushes a Defensive player down that much further for us. I really like the way the draft is starting to shake up:

- Looks likely that a min. of three maybe four tackles will be taken before we pick at twelve
_ Looks likely that a min. of two maybe three quarterbacks taken before we pick.
_ Looks likely that a min. of two WR taken before we pick at twelve.

Quite possibly Orakpo, Curry, or Ragi will be avaliable at 12.

supermanhr9
04-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Im down with the crzy somoan. I really think that Denver showing interest in Sanchez is just a smoke screen. Migrane, please, he just didnt want to waste any time looking at a player thats not going to be there at twelve. The visit to workout Sanchez just assures/garantees that he will be taken before our pick. Why? It only pushes a Defensive player down that much further for us. I really like the way the draft is starting to shake up:

- Looks likely that a min. of three maybe four tackles will be taken before we pick at twelve
_ Looks likely that a min. of two maybe three quarterbacks taken before we pick.

I would say that's gonna be a stretch, but your reasoning makes sense, I htink the only one that's gonna drop that far woudl be Raji, but I think Orakpo might too. I don't think there is any way Curry falls out of the top five.

DrFate
04-22-2009, 12:05 PM
If we move up and draft Sanchez, 73" of flat screen TV is going out the window:strong:

Leave it out front - I'll come pick it up. :wiggle:

Rohirrim
04-22-2009, 12:13 PM
I feel confidant of one thing; Those first five picks are going to set the tone for this draft and I have the suspicion they are not going to go the way any of these mock writers think they'll go. The guy with the best record on these things is Gosselin and he is now thinking the Lions will take Curry. How the board unrolls after that will be chaos, IMHO. I guess that will have the Rams taking Jason Smith but then? Do the Jets trade up to the Cheffies for Sanchez? Should be fun. I'm going to make some popcorn and sit back and enjoy.

BroncoDoug
04-22-2009, 12:15 PM

haha, just let me know what window, and i'll be chillin there with a truck!!! :~ohyah!:

Northman
04-22-2009, 12:15 PM

As they shouldnt. Too many other issues right now.

Northman
04-22-2009, 12:18 PM

Your wife going to help you throw it out? Hilarious!

Rohirrim
04-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Will Stafford be sitting in the booth sweating his ass off as pick after pick goes by while having to listen to Kiper blathering about his deficiencies? Man, that would be hell.

Northman
04-22-2009, 12:20 PM
I feel confidant of one thing; Those first five picks are going to set the tone for this draft and I have the suspicion they are not going to go the way any of these mock writers think they'll go. The guy with the best record on these things is Gosselin and he is now thinking the Lions will take Curry. How the board unrolls after that will be chaos, IMHO. I guess that will have the Rams taking Jason Smith but then? Do the Jets trade up to the Cheffies for Sanchez? Should be fun. I'm going to make some popcorn and sit back and enjoy.

The more i think about it the more i think it would be wise for Detroit to draft either Curry or Smith.

Rohirrim
04-22-2009, 12:22 PM
The more i think about it the more i think it would be wise for Detroit to draft either Curry or Smith.

I read one profile of Stafford where the dread word "Harrington" was uttered. They don't want to go there twice. Ha!

Northman
04-22-2009, 12:23 PM
I read one profile of Stafford where the dread word "Harrington" was uttered. They don't want to go there twice. Ha!

Hilarious!

Old Dude
04-22-2009, 12:40 PM
I'd be a little surprised if Maclin went to the Jags at #8. Didn't they just sign Holt?

I can certainly see the Bills wanting to grab an OT since Peters is gone. And they did get the #28 pick for him, so they have some chips to work with. Not sure they have to move all the way up to #3, though. They might even be able to stand pat at #11 and still get a quality guy.

Bronco Boy
04-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Listening to NFL Radio makes me angry. Mostly because of the callers, but not entirely.

Rashomon
04-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Good stuff, thanks.

The Broncos "not trading up" to get Sanchez is not the same as avoiding him. You don't go thru such an elaborate smokescreen of working out a player if you have absolutely no interest in a player. I am sure that Denver worked him out to see if he is worth the 12th or 18th pick, should he be available.

zdoor
04-22-2009, 12:49 PM
The Broncos "not trading up" to get Sanchez is not the same as avoiding him. You don't go thru such an elaborate smokescreen of working out a player if you have absolutely no interest in a player. I am sure that Denver worked him out to see if he is worth the 12th or 18th pick, should he be available.

I kinda agree. I wouldn't be upset if we took him... He's not Leinart.

Rashomon
04-22-2009, 12:50 PM

What was the reasoning behind that quote? He isn't the one that hitched his wagon to Campbell. Would they want a more established coach (Shanahan?) if they got a new QB?

DrFate
04-22-2009, 12:52 PM
What was the reasoning behind that quote? He isn't the one that hitched his wagon to Campbell. Would they want a more established coach (Shanahan?) if they got a new QB?

That's a fair question. Zorn doesn't have absolute control (like some Hoodie-types we have in Denver). Cerrato is the one that fouls up their drafts (and Snyder, obviously).

I'm not sure why a QB drafted would equal Zorn being gone...

TheChamp24
04-22-2009, 12:55 PM
KC better receive a 2nd and their other 1st round pick at the very least for swapping 3 and 11 AND getting Gonzo.

I just don't see us letting Gonzo leave. Why let our best receiver leave when we have a new QB who needs him?

The deal would most likely be Buffalo sending their 11th, 29th and probably a 4th round pick for #3 and Gonzalez.

And the Chiefs should consider it because they aren't winning anything anytime soon, and could stockpile picks into adding more young talent on the team.

lex
04-22-2009, 01:00 PM
I'd be a little surprised if Maclin went to the Jags at #8. Didn't they just sign Holt?

I can certainly see the Bills wanting to grab an OT since Peters is gone. And they did get the #28 pick for him, so they have some chips to work with. Not sure they have to move all the way up to #3, though. They might even be able to stand pat at #11 and still get a quality guy.

Boselli seems to think it will be either Sanchez or a tackle. It doesnt seem likely they would take a WR at 8 becease they just signed Holt and hang their hat on the run but they did cut 3 WRs this offseason.

Broncoman13
04-22-2009, 01:07 PM

I would love it if the Lions took Curry. I think that would make for an epic draft with lots of wheeling and dealing!!!

Lets hope for a 74 Steelers like draft!

Lynn Swann USC (HOF)
Jack Lambert Kent State (HOF)
John Stallworth Alabama A&M (HOF)
Jimmy Allen UCLA (FAIL... they suck at drafting!!! ;))
Mike Webster Wisconsin (HOF)

tsiguy96
04-22-2009, 01:12 PM
I think that would make for an epic draft with lots of wheeling and dealing!!!

i have a strong feeling that will happen anyway.

Broncoman13
04-22-2009, 01:23 PM
i have a strong feeling that will happen anyway.

That's nice... your feeling means about as much to me as Mel Kiper's... :wave:

KCStud
04-22-2009, 01:25 PM
The deal would most likely be Buffalo sending their 11th, 29th and probably a 4th round pick for #3 and Gonzalez.

And the Chiefs should consider it because they aren't winning anything anytime soon, and could stockpile picks into adding more young talent on the team.

That's a horrible deal. ATL is offering their 2nd round pick for Gonzo and a 4th round pick is not worth it. Their 2 first round picks are what it's gonna take to get from 11 to 3.

Bills give their 11th, 28th and 42nd pick for KC's 3rd and Gonzo and it's a fair deal

uplink
04-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Im down with the crzy somoan. I really think that Denver showing interest in Sanchez is just a smoke screen. Migrane, please, he just didnt want to waste any time looking at a player thats not going to be there at twelve. The visit to workout Sanchez just assures/garantees that he will be taken before our pick. Why? It only pushes a Defensive player down that much further for us.

The Chiefs are likely to get trade offers for teams wanting Sanchez. So not sure if the Broncos interest is a smoke screen since it is helping the Chiefs.

eddie mac
04-22-2009, 03:53 PM
That's a horrible deal. ATL is offering their 2nd round pick for Gonzo and a 4th round pick is not worth it. Their 2 first round picks are what it's gonna take to get from 11 to 3.

Bills give their 11th, 28th and 42nd pick for KC's 3rd and Gonzo and it's a fair deal

There is no fair anymore when you're talking $30m guaranteed for some player who's never stepped foot onto a NFL field on gameday.

That price has to be factored into any trade, so you can chuck your value chart out the window with top 5 pick trades.

Take Dorsey as an example. He got $22.5m guaranteed last year as a top 5 pick yet in KC's projected 3-4 he is nowhere near a top 5 player, given the scheme switch and the fact he doesn't project well within a 3-4 and there are rumours circulating he could be dealt for the right price.

Anyhow why on earth would Buffalo trade their 11 and 29 picks(which they received for trading a Pro-Bowl LT, then give that rookie a similar deal to what Peters wanted all along???

That's just ****ing plain dumb and to my knowledge Buffalo are not stupid with money because the bottom line is they dont have it.

BTW just incase someone trys to float the idea that 1 1st rounder is cheaper than 2 have a look at what 11 and 29 were paid last year and it comes nowhere near what pick 3 got.

Tombstone RJ
04-22-2009, 04:05 PM
NFP's Andrew Brandt was on the Blitz and noted several topics of interest leading into the draft

-Stafford looking for 38 mil guaranteed may prevent Lions from drafting him

-Chiefs and Bills are talking trade. Bills are interested in the #3 pick but are concerned at the value they'd have to part with in order to get it. Buffalo is also said to want Tony Gonzalez as a part of the deal. Bills look to be in the market for a tackle, and at #3 they stand a good chance of landing either Jason Smith or Eugene Munroe. The chiefs are in love with DE Tyson Jackson

-The Browns are standing firm on trade demands for Matthias Kiwanuka and a draft pick. The Giants are refusing to part with #29 overall for Braylen Edwards, and has been reluctant to deal Kiwanuka.

-The Browns still have "a couple" offers on the table for Brady Quinn

-Sees nothing happening with Boldin this weekend.

-Percy Harvin is currently off the Draft boards of 9 teams ( OUCH)

-Jeremy Maclin could go as high as 8 to the Jaguars

-Thinks Clay Matthews will be the best pro of the 3 USC linebackers

-The Jets are prepared to do whatever it takes to walk away with "a particular QB and WR" early in the draft

Edit: forgot the most important one; Raiders have been linked to Braylen Edwards, however the front office refuses to give up the #7 overall for him.

Is Stafford high or something? He kinda looks like a pot head, but I didn't actually think he smokes the whacky tobacky until I saw his contract demands....

Rohirrim
04-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Is Stafford high or something? He kinda looks like a pot head, but I didn't actually think he smokes the whacky tobacky until I saw his contract demands....

Maybe he just put that out there for the Lions' sake. ;D

eddie mac
04-22-2009, 04:16 PM

Ryan got $34.75m guaranteed so Matt is only looking a 10% cost of living rise.:D

FireFly
04-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Good stuff, thanks.

I don't think we'll be avoiding him actually. These rumors only say that we won't be trading up for him. IMO he's going to be available at 12.

I also don't think we take him at 12, but I suppose it depends who else is on the board.

DrFate
04-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Ryan got $34.75m guaranteed so Matt is only looking a 10% cost of living rise.:D

And Ryan wasn't even #1 overall...

FireFly
04-22-2009, 04:21 PM
The Chiefs are likely to get trade offers for teams wanting Sanchez. So not sure if the Broncos interest is a smoke screen since it is helping the Chiefs.

No. IMO Sanchez does NOT go in the top 5. No team will trade up that high for him. 8, 9, 10 maybe. No higher IMO.

Tombstone RJ
04-22-2009, 04:23 PM
The NFL has to do something about the stupid amount of money going to the first pick of the draft. I'd cap it off at like $10m guaranteed, period.

baja
04-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Maybe he just put that out there for the Lions' sake. ;D

It would be the smart choice

The next smart choice would be for Detroit to let the clock run out. (I would love that )

baja
04-22-2009, 04:51 PM
The NFL has to do something about the stupid amount of money going to the first pick of the draft. I'd cap it off at like $10m guaranteed, period.

True that!

It is to the point that if it is not for a once in 10 years type player than it's better to let the clock run out on your pick and save the #1 dough.

maher_tyler
04-22-2009, 04:57 PM

I agree...i'm sure we're looking at 3-4 guys we'd take with the #12 pick..one of them will most likely fall in our laps..if not i can see us trading back to get more picks.

yerner
04-22-2009, 04:58 PM
geez. i really wish they would get some type of reasonable rookie wage scale. what has stafford ever done in his life to be worth 35 million dollars? its just stupid. that money should be given to vets..

Kaylore
04-22-2009, 05:04 PM
I'm of the same mindset as others that anything we hear at this point could be real or complete crap. Some teams will do the opposite of what they're leaking. We're so close to crunch time it's all smoke and mirrors. I have a feeling the top ten is going to be crazy.

BroncoBuff
04-22-2009, 05:08 PM
I don't think we'll be avoiding him actually. These rumors only say that we won't be trading up for him. IMO he's going to be available at 12.

I also don't think we take him at 12, but I suppose it depends who else is on the board.

Well I hope we skip him, even at 18. The word is he doesn't have the arm strength to make all the throws, especially those to the outside .... plus, neither Orton nor Simms are graybeards yet, and both have already proven NFL caliber skills. And we have gaping needs eslewhere - needs that should be addressed early.

I'm gonna predict Sanchez will be no better a pro that either Simms or Orton.

Rohirrim
04-22-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm of the same mindset as others that anything we hear at this point could be real or complete crap. Some teams will do the opposite of what they're leaking. We're so close to crunch time it's all smoke and mirrors. I have a feeling the top ten is going to be crazy.

The teams only have ten minutes to listen to calls and make their decisions. That's not much time to make a multi-million dollar decision. I'm sure some panic will set in if the draft starts unfolding in a way that is totally unexpected. And panic is what makes it fun...

as long as it's not our team doing the panicking. ROFL!

Paladin
04-22-2009, 05:19 PM
I hope the faids and the mullets panic. I would love to see them fail.

cmhargrove
04-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Well I hope we skip him, even at 18. The word is he doesn't have the arm strength to make all the throws, especially those to the outside .... plus, neither Orton nor Simms are graybeards yet, and both have already proven NFL caliber skills. And we have gaping needs eslewhere - needs that should be addressed early.

I'm gonna predict Sanchez will be no better a pro that either Simms or Orton.

And..... it bears repeating that BOTH Simms and Orton have won a division title and gone to the playoffs (which even Cutler didn't manage...)

OBF1
04-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Leave it out front - I'll come pick it up. :wiggle:

Which piece do you want ;D

lex
04-22-2009, 05:38 PM
And..... it bears repeating that BOTH Simms and Orton have won a division title and gone to the playoffs (which even Cutler didn't manage....which is meaningful since Cutler doesnt play defense, block, or take handoffs.)

Fixed

MechanicalBull
04-22-2009, 06:05 PM
Radio here in NY both WFAN and ESPNRadio are saying rumors are that Jags are in serious discussions with the Jets for the 8th spot and the Jets would get Sanchez who they are in love with.

Jags want the deal to get done before the draft where it would go like this: Jets get 8th pick
Jags get 17th, 2nd and 5th rounders

Jags say if they have to wait until draft day they will be asking for a 3rd instead of a 5th.

robbieopperude
04-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Lots of people are down on Sanchez but the kid can play. He was highly recruited at USC and made all the throws while there. He wasn't surrounded by the other worldly talent that Leinart was on Offense. During is time USC had a far superior defense. I could argue all day that he has the higher chance of being the better QB of him and Stafford. He can't make all the throws like Stafford but neither could Joe Montana. Sanchez will go in the top 10 because a team will trade up to get him if he slips past pick 4.

bap454
04-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Radio here in NY both WFAN and ESPNRadio are saying rumors are that Jags are in serious discussions with the Jets for the 8th spot and the Jets would get Sanchez who they are in love with.

Jags want the deal to get done before the draft where it would go like this: Jets get 8th pick
Jags get 17th, 2nd and 5th rounders

Jags say if they have to wait until draft day they will be asking for a 3rd instead of a 5th.

That would be awsome if the trade did get done before the draft, just to watch someone else snag him before the Jets pick. Cant wait for the drama!

cutthemdown
04-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Man that makes me feel at rest, however I am reluctant to believe Matthews is better than Rey Rey, however I sell mechanical equipment for a living, I do not scout, so i don't know jack compared to them, I just know it would be good to have a crazy somoan on our team like polamalu. We haven't had one since maha tanavasa (spelling, sorry) who was a beast, but not a gamechanger like Rey Rey could be.

Mathews and Rey will be different players though. I think the both will play well.

Rey brings you a physical presence to your front seven, someone who intimidates. While Clay Mathews gives you outside pass rushing, pursuit, speed and intelligence to your front 7.

El Minion
04-22-2009, 07:13 PM
And..... it bears repeating that BOTH Simms and Orton have won a division title and gone to the playoffs (which even Cutler didn't manage...)

Yeah both also lost there one and only playoff appearance. Simms stunk to high heaven for the first three weeks the next season before being injured and hasn't been able to repeat it his performance since. Orton so impressed the Chicago FO that after leading the bears to a playoff loss they ship him here for our QB. Yay! :notthissh

BTW, Orton and Grossman are fungible. There W-L records, QB rating and other stats are practically the same in the same system and player personnel. Yet how many would be singing the praises if Grossman was our QB instead of Orton. He has a winning playoff record and led his team to the SB. So by your measure Grossman>Orton>Cutler. Yay! :notthissh

Rohirrim
04-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Mathews and Rey will be different players though. I think the both will play well.

Rey brings you a physical presence to your front seven, someone who intimidates. While Clay Mathews gives you outside pass rushing, pursuit, speed and intelligence to your front 7.

I sure as hell wouldn't be crying if the Broncos walked away with both of them. ;D

Broncoman13
04-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Can we just have all USC players and call it the day?

Cushing, Mathews, Maualuga, Fili, Moore, Ellison, Turner, couple OLs and a kicker that runs a 4.5. Yep, that team was loaded!!!