PDA

View Full Version : Need Help: Want to Buy a Laptop

supermanhr9
04-22-2009, 10:36 AM
I want one that is really fast and has plenty of memory for music and pictures. Those are my two main concerns. Don't want to drop a ton of money on it, but I don't know anything about processors these days. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Beantown Bronco
04-22-2009, 10:38 AM
scroll down to editor's favorites, or search by price if that is your primary criteria and read the reviews.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/?tag=TOCleftColumn.0

SonOfLe-loLang
04-22-2009, 10:51 AM
If you want to deal with the most annoying customer services reps, buy an HP:)

SouthStndJunkie
04-22-2009, 10:56 AM
I don't want this to sound mean but....

My advice to you is to research them yourself and learn something in the process. Take a few hours and put in the research, select a few products you like, and then solicit advice as to which product to choose from there.

You will be better off in the long run with the knowledge you acquired, instead of having it spoon fed to you here.

That is the problem nowadays, everyone wants instant help to bypass the learning process, which is beneficial in the long term.

BABronco
04-22-2009, 10:59 AM
get a mac

lostknight
04-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Buy a macbook. You will spend a bit more, but it will be a high quality box. You can usually find one cheap on Facebook as well.

DrFate
04-22-2009, 11:21 AM
I want one that is really fast and has plenty of memory for music and pictures. Those are my two main concerns. Don't want to drop a ton of money on it, but I don't know anything about processors these days. Any advice is greatly appreciated

You don't need 'memory' to store pictures/music, you need storage (hard drive space). More memory will make the computer perform faster, however.

What you buy is a function of what you want to do on it. If you want to play PC games, you'll need to think about graphics cards and such - and buy a PC. A lot of people will tell you to buy a Mac. You will pay more for the same functionality, but people like them.

If you get a Windows box you might want to keep in mind that Windows 7 is due to release before long. It is (allegedly) an improvement over Vista.

supermanhr9
04-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks for your advice everyone, I will jump into this battle

BoulderBum
04-22-2009, 12:17 PM
You don't need 'memory' to store pictures/music, you need storage (hard drive space). More memory will make the computer perform faster, however.

What you buy is a function of what you want to do on it. If you want to play PC games, you'll need to think about graphics cards and such - and buy a PC. A lot of people will tell you to buy a Mac. You will pay more for the same functionality, but people like them.

If you get a Windows box you might want to keep in mind that Windows 7 is due to release before long. It is (allegedly) an improvement over Vista.

The Windows 7 Beta has been out for a couple months now and (IMO) is an awesome operating system. I was actually one of the few who appreciated Vista, and didn't think it was as bad as advertised, but Windows 7 blows it away.

I used to sell computers in retail, sounds like you are a pretty average user and you should be able to find a pretty good computer that will fit all your needs for under $600. I've found in the past that Dell's small business computers pack a lot of bang for the buck. If you feel the need to see what you buy before you buy it, retail stores (Best Buy, CC [RIP]) often have sales on laptops where they actually lose money on the machine, so you can find decent deals there (higher pressure sales though)

Los Broncos
04-22-2009, 12:17 PM
The more Mb of cache on the CPU the better.

bombay
04-22-2009, 12:22 PM
The Windows 7 Beta has been out for a couple months now and (IMO) is an awesome operating system. I was actually one of the few who appreciated Vista, and didn't think it was as bad as advertised, but Windows 7 blows it away.

I used to sell computers in retail, sounds like you are a pretty average user and you should be able to find a pretty good computer that will fit all your needs for under $600. I've found in the past that Dell's small business computers pack a lot of bang for the buck. If you feel the need to see what you buy before you buy it, retail stores (Best Buy, CC [RIP]) often have sales on laptops where they actually lose money on the machine, so you can find decent deals there (higher pressure sales though)

I bought a Dell Vostro 1500 about a year and a half ago and have been very pleased with it. After their online discounts, it came in at about $600. It has plenty of space for music and pics and is fast on the net. That model has been replaced now (by I think, the 1700?) but it's still around $600. When you're at the Dell site, you do have to look specifically at small business computers.

EDIT: Battery life is nearly 4 hours.

Rigs11
04-22-2009, 12:22 PM
if you are just doing pictures and music you don't need anything special. A decent dual core and a hard drive over 200gb should sufice.

Garcia Bronco
04-22-2009, 12:29 PM
I want one that is really fast and has plenty of memory for music and pictures.

Memory and Storage are two different things.

Generally memory and CPU will make your machine faster, or rather controls the speed of which your system can operate. There are other limiting factors such as the speed of your system board(formerly known as the mother board)

Storage simply put is your hard drive (HDD) size.

So to properly communcate your needs...you want a machine with good CPU, at least 2 GB of memory, and 100-200 GB of storage space.

CPU's used to have one core. So you'd hear people say I have a 3.0 Ghz processor. The game has changed. You won't see processor companies trying to increase the clock speed (take that to mean a higher GHz). What they are doing is adding more cores. Which is why you hear terms on ads like duel core, quad core, and octacore. You can also have multiple sockets for CPU (processors). You'll most likely being looking at duel core processors. The reason I have explained this is for you not to get bogged down in the processor speed. A 1.8Ghz duel core processor basically has 2 processors each with a speed with 1.8GHz.

DrFate
04-22-2009, 12:29 PM

I installed the beta on a Hyper-V VM to play with. Everything I read says it is much better performance wise than Vista. (which was why I mentioned it)

:)

I think 7 is going to finally put Vista out of it's misery, especially if it is as lightweight as I keep reading.

Garcia Bronco
04-22-2009, 12:36 PM
7 is going to rock. It's everything Vista could have been without the bad things Vista has.

Garcia Bronco
04-22-2009, 12:36 PM
I installed the beta on a Hyper-V VM to play with. Everything I read says it is much better performance wise than Vista. (which was why I mentioned it)

:)

I think 7 is going to finally put Vista out of it's misery, especially if it is as lightweight as I keep reading.

Why do you say Hyper-V VM. Isn't the hypervisor just embedded ESX?

Sassy
04-22-2009, 12:41 PM
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/store_access.do?template_type=computer_store&landing=notebooks&jumpid=em_r329_hhos_5292&jumpid=em_r329_hhos_5292&aoid=44787&email=null

supermanhr9
04-22-2009, 12:59 PM
man you guys/girls rock, thanks for the info.

DrFate
04-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Why do you say Hyper-V VM. Isn't the hypervisor just embedded ESX?

Hyper-V is the Microsoft 'server' virtualization solution and competes with VMWare (in the server market).

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/hyperv-main.aspx

It is based on Xen, allegedly.

I installed a Win7 virtual machine on my 2008 server.

TonyR
04-22-2009, 01:49 PM
get a mac

Yes, if you want to be cool and spend $2k.

Garcia Bronco
04-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Hyper-V is the Microsoft 'server' virtualization solution and competes with VMWare (in the server market).

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/hyperv-main.aspx

It is based on Xen, allegedly.

I installed a Win7 virtual machine on my 2008 server.

MS and Xen can't hold a candle to the VMware product. They just don't have the tools that VMware does. MSVM is fine for personal IMO, but I would never use it in an enterprise setting.

DrFate
04-22-2009, 01:58 PM
MS and Xen can't hold a candle to the VMware product. They just don't have the tools that VMware does. MSVM is fine for personal IMO, but I would never use it in an enterprise setting.

I use it every day :)

Microsoft is catching up from a tools/functionality perspective - the R2 release of Hyper-V supports actually migrating a running VM from one physical server to another (which was one of the big perks that VMWare had that Hyper-V didn't)

The MS product is (essentially) free, which a lot of people like

SonOfLe-loLang
04-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Yes, if you want to be cool and spend $2k.

Cheapest macbook runs 999...not terrible, but yeah, they can get expensive. I am thinking of getting an air though

Ray_Lewis'_Victim
04-22-2009, 03:18 PM
I've had a macbook for 2 years, and it is a GREAT laptop. I had a PC before, and it got an hour and half battery life. My mac get 4 hours +. Also, OSX seems to have figured out how to make sleep work well, so wakeup time is much faster than I've experienced with windows. If you're used to windows, you'll be confused for a week or 2 about how things work differently on a mac, but once you get the hang, you'll be glad you switched.

To knock off about $150, try to buy one refurbished. I had a little trouble (the first one they gave me was defective), but after that I've had very little trouble.

I can't speak to the latest generation of PC's, but I've only met 2 people who don't like their macs, both of whom are extreme linux zealots.

DrFate
04-22-2009, 05:08 PM
Normally I'm not a Mac guy. I make a living running Windows (servers).

But, while trying to fix a problem on my personal Dell laptop, I found this. Something to think about...

http://www.cnbc.com//id/30265705?__source=yahoo%7Cheadline%7Cquote%7Ctext% 7C&par=yahoo

TDmvp
04-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Go find the thread where I talk about dells gold plan warranty ...

Either Sassy or Blueflame started it ... I can't seem to find it but I'll try ...

But read about the GOLD plan ...

I had a video card die in my lappy ... 8am .... 4pm they was here fixing it .

Sold me ... only people I'll buy from ....

I knew something was happening cause video was all messed but would still boot ... I got in the dell chat room got a tech ... we went to private room ...
ran the proggy that let him see my screen ... we looked at some settings . Run a test ... he tells me its the card and someone will call me in 30 mins ....
5 mins later phone rings and dude says he will be there between 4-5pm

done deal ... Buy Dell ...

DrFate
04-22-2009, 05:35 PM
My Dell had the same problem - nVidia card?

I normally buy Dell, as I said earlier. But the Forester numbers don't lie...

TDmvp
04-22-2009, 07:12 PM
My Dell had the same problem - nVidia card?

I normally buy Dell, as I said earlier. But the Forester numbers don't lie...

nVidia Go 7900 gs ...