PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan Eventually To Surface With 'Skins?

Bronco Rob
04-21-2009, 06:41 PM
As the Washington Redskins continue to prepare for the second year of the Jim Zorn era, we’re hearing ongoing chatter that, come 2010, the head coach of the team will be former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan.

Of course, the ‘Skins might not end up getting a clear shot at Shanahan. With Cowboys coach Wade Phillips entering the final year of his contract and a new deal unlikely, Jerry Jones likely will be looking for a new head coach, too.

In the end, Shanahan’s final destination might come down to money. Specifically, the question will be the extent to which any team is willing to exceed the $7 million that Shanahan is due to receive from the Broncos regardless of whether he works next season.

So maybe, just maybe, the team’s flirtation with USC quarterback Mark Sanchez has less to do with making an impact in 2009, and more to do with helping set the table for Shanahan in 2010.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-21-2009, 06:45 PM
No way... He goes back to Illinois and reuintes with the guilded doosh.

MrPeepers
04-21-2009, 06:45 PM
As the Washington Redskins continue to prepare for the second year of the Jim Zorn era, we’re hearing ongoing chatter that, come 2010, the head coach of the team will be former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan.

Of course, the ‘Skins might not end up getting a clear shot at Shanahan. With Cowboys coach Wade Phillips entering the final year of his contract and a new deal unlikely, Jerry Jones likely will be looking for a new head coach, too.

In the end, Shanahan’s final destination might come down to money. Specifically, the question will be the extent to which any team is willing to exceed the $7 million that Shanahan is due to receive from the Broncos regardless of whether he works next season.

So maybe, just maybe, the team’s flirtation with USC quarterback Mark Sanchez has less to do with making an impact in 2009, and more to do with helping set the table for Shanahan in 2010.

maybe he's going to fleece them for 7 million plus....

maher_tyler
04-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Shanny coaching the Skins < Shanny coaching the Boys

IMO

TheDave
04-21-2009, 06:56 PM
As long as it's not in the AFC...

bpc
04-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Doesn't matter. He's gonna win where ever he goes.

24champ
04-21-2009, 07:24 PM
I think he'll end up in San Diego.

TheDave
04-21-2009, 07:26 PM

That would suck on so many levels...

cutthemdown
04-21-2009, 07:27 PM

Shanny does like to be tan. It's warm a sunny down there in San Diego.

What a bummer it will be if Mcdaniels stinks.

Bronco_Beerslug
04-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Shanny does like to be tan. It's warm a sunny down there in San Diego.

What a bummer it will be if Mcdaniels stinks.Uh, doesn't he have a problem with the sun (eczema)?

maher_tyler
04-21-2009, 08:56 PM
I heard some where that Denver has more sunny days than SD..no??

Dagmar
04-21-2009, 09:01 PM

300 a year!

cutthemdown
04-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Uh, doesn't he have a problem with the sun (eczema)?

Hmm I wouldn't know. I do know he looks like he likes a good tan. Next time you are lathering him up with lotion why don't you check and see if it's a special brand for eczema.

cutthemdown
04-21-2009, 09:05 PM

So your saying next yr shanny and bowlen make up, they fire Mcdaniels and the rat is back in denver?

LOL now wouldn't that be a hoot.

baja
04-21-2009, 09:10 PM

That's true.

Borks147
04-21-2009, 10:12 PM

During winter 35 and sunny < 75 and sunny

BroncoMan4ever
04-21-2009, 10:34 PM

i bet Snyder would love to get Mike so that he doesn't have to worry about the near annual offseason rapings Mike laid on Washington

uplink
04-22-2009, 12:43 AM
Will any team give Shanny the control over the FO he had with the Broncos?

Anyway, I'm sure if Shanny is only the coach in name he will still control everything as McDaniels seems to with the broncos now days.

OBF1
04-22-2009, 12:46 AM
Doesn't matter. He's gonna win where ever he goes.

Like he did in Denver the past couple of seasons :thumbs:

scorpio
04-22-2009, 07:25 AM
Uh, doesn't he have a problem with the sun (eczema)?

Sunlight is actually therapeutic for most forms of eczema. I didn't know Shanahan had it though.

El Guapo
04-22-2009, 07:38 AM
I've heard this rumor quite a bit over the past couple months, but my bet is that he ends up with the Cowboys.

bfoflcommish
04-22-2009, 08:01 AM
During winter 35 and sunny < 75 and sunny

During course of a full 12 months having 4 real seasons > than one season year round with only minor adjustments to temp

TonyR
04-22-2009, 08:31 AM
Bronco Rob, please credit the source when posting material that isn't your own by including a link.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/20/shanahan-eventually-to-surface-with-skins/

Willynowei
04-22-2009, 10:28 AM
During course of a full 12 months having 4 real seasons > than one season year round with only minor adjustments to temp

I don't know about that... if you don't ski i don't see the point of any season/weather pattern that isn't sunny and warm all the time.

oubronco
04-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Like he did in Denver the past couple of seasons :thumbs:

he did have a fixation with Slowdyck................OH!!!

Bronco_Beerslug
04-22-2009, 04:53 PM
Sunlight is actually therapeutic for most forms of eczema. I didn't know Shanahan had it though.I didn't know that but his face is almost always patchy red looking.

Bronco Rob
04-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Bronco Rob, please credit the source when posting material that isn't your own by including a link.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/20/shanahan-eventually-to-surface-with-skins/

:notworthy

Atlas
04-23-2009, 07:14 PM

That is not funny.

UberBroncoMan
04-23-2009, 08:22 PM
I bet Shanahan goes to the state he was born, the state he went to college, and coaches for a professional team in that state.

baja
09-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Zorn is all but out what are the chances of Snyder and Shanahan co existing in the same organization?

Washington may be the only team willing to give Shanny the total control that he is sure to want.

Comments?

ward63
09-28-2009, 06:00 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Zorn may not be gone this week, but he's gone at the end of the season and so is Campbell. Shanny comes in and he's getting his own QB

baja
09-28-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm thinking it could happen in the next couple of weeks

Shanny has not been seen at the farmer's market in a month.

Hercules Rockefeller
09-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Snyder might give a coach a title that says he has full control, but it'll never happen behind the scenes. He just can't.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-28-2009, 06:05 PM
I heard on the light rail that Synder is a meddlesome owner.

jhat01
09-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Snyder was in Denver today, but Adam said "personal business"...I don't think he fires Zorn during the year.

Florida_Bronco
09-28-2009, 06:18 PM
what are the chances of Snyder and Shanahan co existing in the same organization?

Very little.

Personally I want Shanny to end up in San Diego, especially if he brings Slowik with him.

baja
09-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Are they talking about this over on the skins board?

spdirty
09-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Very little.

Personally I want Shanny to end up in San Diego, especially if he brings Slowik with him.

You would rather have a recharged and piss off Shanny there than Norv? What are you, a closet Charger fan?

rastaman
09-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Zorn is all but out what are the chances of Snyder and Shanahan co existing in the same organization?

Washington may be the only team willing to give Shanny the total control that he is sure to want.

Comments?

How do we know Shanny wants full control of Football operations with the next team he coaches? Shanny may have gotten to the point in his career to where he's in a compromising outlook on coaching in the 21st Century. Very few HC's today have full GM control or final say on personnel decisions in todays NFL.

Shanny should realize one of the reasons he didn't get it done the last 3 years was b/c he had too much on his plate. Shanny has probably learned his lesson and realize he's a much better offensive stratistican than he is a Defensive guru. And when it comes to GM-personnel decisions, Shanny has realized he needs a joint-trust-compromising relationship with the GM. These are the key realities to Shanny becoming a successful HC in the NFL with his next team.

rastaman
09-28-2009, 06:30 PM
You would rather have a recharged and piss off Shanny there than Norv? What are you, a closet Charger fan?

Ah......everyone knows given the right situation offensively and defensively, Shanny can go Genghis-Khan--Scorched Earth on the NFL. Just saying.:wiggle:

rastaman
09-28-2009, 06:32 PM
I heard on the light rail that Synder is a meddlesome owner.

Snyder won't be meddlesome if his coach puts a winning product out on the field.

baja
09-28-2009, 06:33 PM
How do we know Shanny wants full control of Football operations with the next team he coaches? Shanny may have gotten to the point in his career to where he's in a compromising outlook on coaching in the 21st Century. Very few HC's today have full GM control or final say on personnel decisions in todays NFL.

Shanny should realize one of the reasons he didn't get it done the last 3 years was b/c he had too much on his plate. Shanny has probably learned his lesson and realize he's a much better offensive stratistican than he is a Defensive guru. And when it comes to GM-personnel decisions, Shanny has realized he needs a joint-trust-compromising relationship with the GM. These are the key realities to Shanny becoming a successful HC in the NFL with his next team.

So you think he has learned his lesson do ya. And he realizes he needs a strong GM to tell him what to do, I see. Well it's clear you have no clue about the workings of human nature.

baja
09-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Snyder won't be meddlesome if his coach puts a winning product out on the field.

another insightful gem from the seer rastaman

jhat01
09-28-2009, 06:36 PM
So you think he has learned his lesson do ya. And he realizes he needs a strong GM to tell him what to do, I see. Well it's clear you have no clue about the workings of human nature.

Oh yeah, you and Shanny are tight huh? It was an interesting perspective, what makes you an expert on human nature?

baja
09-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Oh yeah, you and Shanny are tight huh? It was an interesting perspective, what makes you an expert on human nature?

Rarely do people willingly give up power, it's basic dude.

ChSuperStar
09-28-2009, 06:40 PM

Comments?

I was thinking the same few hrs back.. will not surprise me if it happens. but i think shanny might go to a place where he can win right away. I also think dallas will have opening end of year.. though i understand they have asst coach who was promised head coaching job

Florida_Bronco
09-28-2009, 06:40 PM

I'd rather face Shanny/Slowik than Norv/Rivera any day of the week.

rastaman
09-28-2009, 06:41 PM

Dude, why do you give up on human natures ability/capability to compromise for the the greater good of all involved? Never-say-Never. Besides I did not say Shanny needs a "Strong GM" to tell him what to do per say.

Thinking outside the box and starting a new trend of HC-GM shared responsibility and decision making can work....just gotta give it a try. Whats wrong with a unique situation whereas Shanny has final say on offensive player personnel decisions with input from the GM.

While the GM and the Defensive coordinator puts their heads together on deciding defensive player personnel decisions. Gotta leave your Egos at the Door.

Br0nc0Buster
09-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Well Snyder would give him the green light to bring in overrated and over priced free agents that he loves doing

Iv heard rumors that he is interested in one of the Texas teams

jhat01
09-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Baja,

When they get fired it might sway their thinking. You think he sits until a coach/gm job is offered? PAt still owes him money no doubt, but I would think he'll want to get back in the saddle. I don't know what he wants, but it may very well be to get back to doing what he does best.

rastaman
09-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Rarely do people willingly give up power, it's basic dude.

You are assuming Shanny fits this mode of thinking. If Shanny misses coaching and wants to get back into the NFL and coach again.....compromise will be of the Order.

baja
09-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Dude, why do you give up on human natures ability/capability to compromise for the the greater good of all involved? Never-say-Never. Besides I did not say Shanny needs a "Strong GM" to tell him what to do per say.

Thinking outside the box and starting a new trend of HC-GM shared responsibility and decision making can work....just gotta give it a try. Whats wrong with a unique situation whereas Shanny has final say on offensive player personnel decisions with input from the GM.

While the GM and the Defensive coordinator puts their heads together on deciding defensive player personnel decisions. Gotta leave your Egos at the Door.

rastaman I will agree it is what he should do but watching Shanny's ego on display over the years i highly doubt that he will ever entertain the though that maybe he needs a GM to work with him. I don't see the "Little Man Upstairs" going for this. JMO

baja
09-28-2009, 06:50 PM
You are assuming Shanny fits this mode of thinking. If Shanny misses coaching and wants to get back into the NFL and coach again.....compromise will be of the Order.

You assume so much... Shanahan will still be able to write his own ticket on a number of teams. Where I really think is he will end up is in Chicago. By season's end the brass in Chicago will be so desperate to salvage the trade they went out on the limb for that the will pursue Shanny to come in and get Cutler on the right track. Remember you heard it here first. ;D

jhat01
09-28-2009, 06:53 PM
You assume so much... Shanahan will still be able to write his own ticket on a number of teams. Where I really think is he will end up is in Chicago. By season's end the brass in Chicago will be so desperate to salvage the trade they went out on the limb for that the will pursue Shanny to come in and get Cutler on the right track. Remember you heard it here first. ;D

Dude, so what of Jerry Angelo then? Ownership fires him? Doesn't make sense.

OBF1
09-28-2009, 06:54 PM
make another useless poll, that will decide once and for all

colonelbeef
09-28-2009, 06:54 PM

Comments?

Most every team in the league would give Shanahan anything he wanted. Snyder just has endless funds.

baja
09-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Dude, so what of Jerry Angelo then? Ownership fires him? Doesn't make sense.

By seasons end that FO is going to be very meek.

jhat01
09-28-2009, 06:56 PM
By seasons end that FO is going to be very meek.

I hope you're right.

baja
09-28-2009, 06:56 PM
make another useless poll, that will decide once and for all

Get back on your rep thread before you miss some well deserved rep. Ha ha ha

rastaman
09-28-2009, 06:58 PM
rastaman I will agree it is what he should do but watching Shanny's ego on display over the years i highly doubt that he will ever entertain the though that maybe he needs a GM to work with him. I don't see the "Little Man Upstairs" going for this. JMO

Baja....you could be right. But I believe Shanny has already shown signs of thinking outside the box this summer when he put his ego aside and he visited several teams that had the top rated defenses in the NFL. The Shanny of 1995-2008 would have never contemplated doing this.

Getting fired opens your eyes on what you did wrong to earn the firing. Shanny knows it was the Defense poor performances over the years that got him fired and he takes full responsibility for it. If you noticed, Shanny didn't blame anyone except himself during is news conference when his firing was announced.....Shanny merely said...."He didn't Get The Job Done"!

Another thought, I don't foresee Shanny going to just any team. One pre-condition Shanny will want in regards to the next team he coaches is whether that team has a QB with a lot of upside along the lines of a Steve Young, John Elway, or Jay Cutler to build his team around. I don't see Shanny taking on project type QB's of the limited talent of a Greise(sp), Jake, or Orton etc.

baja
09-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Baja....you could be right. But I believe Shanny has already shown signs of thinking outside the box this summer when he put his ego aside and he visited several teams that had the top rated defenses in the NFL. The Shanny of 1995-2008 would have never contemplated doing this.

Getting fired opens your eyes on what you did wrong to earn the firing. Shanny knows it was the Defense poor performances over the years that got him fired and he takes full responsibility for it. If you noticed, Shanny didn't blame anyone except himself during is news conference when his firing was announced.....Shanny merely said...."He didn't Get The Job Done"!

Another thought, I don't foresee Shanny going to just any team. One pre-condition Shanny will want in regards to the next team he coaches is whether that team has a QB with a lot of upside along the lines of a Steve Young, John Elway, or Jay Cutler to build his team around. I don't see Shanny taking on project type QB's of the limited talent of a Greise(sp), Jake, or Orton etc.

I will agree getting fired will make you think.

lex
09-28-2009, 07:30 PM

Chicago has owners that have a reputation for being stingy. A team president thats a little too involved, in Ted Phillips and a GM in Jerry Angelo. Thats a lot of layers and bad layers at that.

baja
09-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Chicago has owners that have a reputation for being stingy. A team president thats a little too involved, in Ted Phillips and a GM in Jerry Angelo. Thats a lot of layers and bad layers at that.

Well they better get ready to pay Jay Cutler because he is going to want to be the highest paid player in the NFL

lex
09-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Well they better get ready to pay Jay Cutler because he is going to want to be the highest paid player in the NFL

They will. But its not like they make a big splash in FA. Last year, they were criticized for sitting on their hands during FA.

ward63
09-28-2009, 07:39 PM
If shanny went to SD, they'd be going to a 4-3 transition

broncogary
09-28-2009, 07:49 PM
I'm thinking it could happen in the next couple of weeks

Shanny has not been seen at the farmer's market in a month.

He's out fishing.;D

baja
09-28-2009, 07:50 PM
He's out fishing.;D

Maybe but he hasn't ordered any turkey sandwiches

Beantown Bronco
09-28-2009, 08:00 PM
Chicago
Washington
Dallas
San Diego

None of the above would shock me.

Florida_Bronco
09-28-2009, 08:12 PM

Yeah, and they'd also be losing a top notch DC and replacing him with Slowik.

Please God, make it happen!

RhymesayersDU
09-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Yeah I have a buddy who is a diehard Skins fan. After mercilessly making fun of them yesterday, all he could say is "Let the Shanahan era begin."

One way or the other, Zorn is getting canned this year.

rastaman
09-28-2009, 08:19 PM
Chicago
Washington
Dallas
San Diego

None of the above would shock me.

Shanny would never go to Dallas. J. Jones is such a control freak, if he and Shanny had a falling out or mis-understanding the week of the SB, Jones would fire Shanny on the spot just to prove a point!

rastaman
09-28-2009, 08:20 PM
Yeah, and they'd also be losing a top notch DC and replacing him with Slowik.

Please God, make it happen!

Who knows, Shanny could assign Slowick as a Def. Coord. assistant for more seasoning and experience.

McMastermind
09-28-2009, 08:23 PM
along the lines of a Steve Young, John Elway, or Jay Cutler to build his team around. .

:rofl:

McMastermind
09-28-2009, 08:26 PM
^^^^ You may as well have said.....Jerry Rice, Rod Smith, or Ashley Lelie

Florida_Bronco
09-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Who knows, Shanny could assign Slowick as a Def. Coord. assistant for more seasoning and experience.

At this point I don't think seasoning and experience is going to do any good for Slowik.

NFLBRONCO
09-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Any chance Shanny to Carolina or Jax?

24champ
09-28-2009, 08:35 PM

I doubt it.

Shanny visited Steelers/Patriots training camp this offseason, my guess is he will field a 3-4 defense.

rastaman
09-28-2009, 08:35 PM
:rofl:

Careful don't roll into the fire place!:thumbsup:

rastaman
09-28-2009, 08:38 PM
At this point I don't think seasoning and experience is going to do any good for Slowik.

Keeping him as an assist Def. coord is the safe bet.

bronco militia
09-28-2009, 08:41 PM
up

rastaman
09-28-2009, 08:47 PM
That would suck on so many levels...

If you didn't want Shanny going to the AFC west we shouldn't have fired him!

rastaman
09-28-2009, 08:49 PM
I bet Shanahan goes to the state he was born, the state he went to college, and coaches for a professional team in that state.

Lovee may be fired if the Bears miss the playoffs for the fourth consecutive year.

rastaman
09-28-2009, 08:51 PM
So your saying next yr shanny and bowlen make up, they fire Mcdaniels and the rat is back in denver?

LOL now wouldn't that be a hoot.

Well Nolan would be the DC.....what could be a better situation....oh wait, my bad, Shanny ain't wasting his time with Orton. Hilarious!

uplink
09-28-2009, 09:12 PM
Snyder was in Denver today, but Adam said "personal business"...I don't think he fires Zorn during the year.

apparently just his plane http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

So is it just a coincidence that the day after that mega embarrassing loss by the skins, Synder's plane is 15min from Shanny's house? I doubt it, but maybe
Shanny said no.

uplink
09-28-2009, 09:16 PM
Well it could have just been sending a message to Zorn or to give the fans hope he would try and correct things. But the plane was not there by coincidence.

BroncoMan4ever
09-28-2009, 10:52 PM
Will any team give Shanny the control over the FO he had with the Broncos?

Anyway, I'm sure if Shanny is only the coach in name he will still control everything as McDaniels seems to with the broncos now days.

Dallas would be the best bet for him based on the control he wants. Jerry Jones is the only guy he would have to answer to. plus he would get to coach the QB he wanted a few years ago.

ZONA
09-28-2009, 11:03 PM
I don't think this is as clear cut as many may seem to think. I'm not sure Shanny could just go anywhere and name his price. He might be able to if he wasn't hell bent on taking Mr. 10 yard cushion with him, as it seems like he wants that because he's taking him everywhere he goes. I'm sure the owners know what a crappy D shanny had for quite some time and they may not be so eager to want that tag along to join with him. There are definitely alot of factors I believe and I don't think money will be the biggest of them. He's gonna get paid well where ever he goes so I think other things factor in more. Like does the team have a well established defense already, or maybe a franchise QB in place. An owner who has money to spend on players because we know Shanny likes them FA's.

But I bet alot of people here will somewhat follow his new team more then they do the Bears.

BroncsRule
09-29-2009, 12:06 AM
Plus, there is the trend of teams going with young, much lower cost coordinators/rookie HC's.. and having success with them. Everyone knows it's a copycat league. The more success rookie HC's have, the harder it's gonna be for the Shannys and Cowhers to get the sweetheart deal they assume is their due.

BroncoMan4ever
09-29-2009, 03:10 AM
Well Nolan would be the DC.....what could be a better situation....oh wait, my bad, Shanny ain't wasting his time with Orton. Hilarious!

why would we want Mike back? don't get me wrong he was awesome his 1st 4 years and 2 of the next 10, but his message got old in Denver and the team basically quit on him.

we finally got away from the finesse and small players style of play and are aggressive, powerful and big. the running game and line remain, the mentally weak QB is gone and the lack of defense and ST that became a staple of Shanahan's coaching was retooled and made better.

i truthfully wouldn't want him back. we could have pulled a Detroit and gone 0-16 and fired McDaniels after this season, and I still wouldn't want Mike back.

i would rather deal with a season or 2 of being ****ty if it leads to a foundation being built for a team that is a contender, rather than yearly mediocrity which was becoming the norm under Mike.

i thank the guy for the Super Bowl wins and sending John out a winner, but i am glad he is gone, a new direction was needed.

BroncoMan4ever
09-29-2009, 03:13 AM
Plus, there is the trend of teams going with young, much lower cost coordinators/rookie HC's.. and having success with them. Everyone knows it's a copycat league. The more success rookie HC's have, the harder it's gonna be for the Shannys and Cowhers to get the sweetheart deal they assume is their due.

i know it is currently in fashion to bring in young coaches and rookie QBs and have immediate success, but no matter what, there are still going to be franchises that want experience in their HC, and because of that, there is always going to be a market for guys like Mike, Cowher and Gruden. don't be surprised if Schottenheimer returns in the near future. young guys are having success, but some of the older guys will always be in demand.

elsid13
09-29-2009, 03:27 AM

That not set in stone. Shanahan spent a lot time in 3-4 camps learning about about that defense. I would say the Shahanan would jump on the trend and move to the hybrid style defense that Pats and Cardinals are playing with.

BroncoInSkinland
09-29-2009, 04:46 AM
why would we want Mike back? don't get me wrong he was awesome his 1st 4 years and 2 of the next 10, but his message got old in Denver and the team basically quit on him.

we finally got away from the finesse and small players style of play and are aggressive, powerful and big. the running game and line remain, the mentally weak QB is gone and the lack of defense and ST that became a staple of Shanahan's coaching was retooled and made better.

i truthfully wouldn't want him back. we could have pulled a Detroit and gone 0-16 and fired McDaniels after this season, and I still wouldn't want Mike back.

i would rather deal with a season or 2 of being ****ty if it leads to a foundation being built for a team that is a contender, rather than yearly mediocrity which was becoming the norm under Mike.

i thank the guy for the Super Bowl wins and sending John out a winner, but i am glad he is gone, a new direction was needed.

I disagree that Shanahan was the problem, and that the team quit on him, but I can respect this position. If you think we needed a change that badly, then regardless of the quality of the replacement, you don't take a step back. I would like to add though that even if McDaniels crashes and burns this season (like not winning a game for the next 8 games or so), we should not go head hunting for a replacement right away.

A coaching carousel is the last thing this organization needs, give anyone you bring in at least three years to install and execute a plan of attack on "fixing" the team. I still don't think the team needed fixed, and I still am not completely on board with McDaniels personel decisions, but from the get go I said we have to give the guy time to either win or hang himself. Hopefully it will be the former and the wins will keep rolling in.

Mr. Elway
09-29-2009, 08:03 AM
We all saw the evidence this summer: Shanahan's grooming Slowick for the new Master Plan - keep the offense on the field, by fielding a defense that gets off the field quickly. Very quickly.

Why wait for 3 downs when you can get off the field in one?

Peoples Champ
09-29-2009, 08:43 AM

I think it does, but I think Denver has more sunny days at 20-30 degrees and San Diego has more sunny days at 70-80 degrees

The Joker
09-29-2009, 08:45 AM
We all saw the evidence this summer: Shanahan's grooming Slowick for the new Master Plan - keep the offense on the field, by fielding a defense that gets off the field quickly. Very quickly.

Why wait for 3 downs when you can get off the field in one?

:~ohyah!:

Seriously though, towards the end of last year I really think we would have been better off onside kicking it every time and going for it on 4th down once we got anywhere near halfway.

Small chance we actually recover the thing/pick up the first down and keep our offense out there.

If we fail, our opponents get the ball back somewhere near the 40 and our defense doesn't get worn down on the inevitable drive downfield. Better chance then that we keep them out of endzone.

The defense really, truly, was that bad. It was almost an emotional experience watching the other team punt the ball.

TonyR
09-29-2009, 09:07 AM
Most every team in the league would give Shanahan anything he wanted.

This has already been addressed to some degree in this thread but I'll respond directly here: simply not true. Yes, there are certainly teams that would hire him, but not even remotely "every team in the league". You're living in the past.

Bill Simmons has addressed this in the past with the Speed Limit Corollary, linked here: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070112 , and he did it again last week with respect to Belichick, linked here: http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/columns/story?page=simmons/patriots/090925

I'm the same guy who once introduced the Speed Limit Corollary for NFL coaches back in January 2007: If the coach of your favorite team is older than 55, or if your team is about to hire someone who's older than 55, there's a good chance you should start preparing for a frustrating stretch of football. The piece ended like this:

"(In a related story, both Belichick and Mike Shanahan turn 55 before the start of next season. Hmmmmmmmmm.)"

Shanahan got canned last spring; Belichick turned 55 during the Eff You season. He's 57 now. I can report one undeniable change: The coach seems to be more at ease with his place in life. Controlling Secretive Bloodthirsty Belichick has made way for Enjoying The Ride Belichick. Just a little. His kids have grown up. He divorced his wife and squires his new girlfriend everywhere during the offseason. Every once in awhile, he shows up at a Celtics game with killer seats; they show him on the Jumbotron; the place erupts; and Belichick totally eats it up. Total armchair analysis, but he seems to me like someone who made a ton of money, earned a whole hand of Super Bowl rings, feels pretty secure about his place in history, and continues to love coaching football ... only maybe it's not quite life or death anymore.

oubronco
09-29-2009, 09:08 AM
:~ohyah!:

Seriously though, towards the end of last year I really think we would have been better off onside kicking it every time and going for it on 4th down once we got anywhere near halfway.

Small chance we actually recover the thing/pick up the first down and keep our offense out there.

If we fail, our opponents get the ball back somewhere near the 40 and our defense doesn't get worn down on the inevitable drive downfield. Better chance then that we keep them out of endzone.

The defense really, truly, was that bad. It was almost an emotional experience watching the other team punt the ball.

Punt I don't recall any punt

bpc
09-29-2009, 09:37 AM
He'll be in Dallas next year. He's spent extensive time studying the 3-4 with Slowick this offseason for that very purpose. He'll turn that offense into a machine with the RB's they have set up, Romo, talented WR's/TE's, and a good solid offensive line.

The defense will need some work but he's got some great players to work with.

This is the logical and most likely choice. Shanny will sellout to whomever will pay his contract demands and spend big dollars in free agency.

ColoradoBuff
09-29-2009, 09:44 AM
I think if he stays in the NFL it will be Dallas. But there is chatter that CU has talked to him and is apparently giving him something to think about! Apparently he would still collect the 7 mill minus whatever CU would pay him. If he does that...Bowlen will be butt-hurt!

baja
09-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Shanahan would be as lousy college head coach.

ColoradoBuff
09-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Shanahan would be as lousy college head coach.

He was very very very close to taking the Florida job before he turned them down. and they hired Urban Meyers instead!

Broncomutt
09-29-2009, 10:10 AM
_

TonyR
09-29-2009, 10:13 AM
_

Yep, pictures are worth a thousand words.

Dukes
09-29-2009, 10:18 AM
He'll be in Dallas next year. He's spent extensive time studying the 3-4 with Slowick this offseason for that very purpose. He'll turn that offense into a machine with the RB's they have set up, Romo, talented WR's/TE's, and a good solid offensive line.

The defense will need some work but he's got some great players to work with.

This is the logical and most likely choice. Shanny will sellout to whomever will pay his contract demands and spend big dollars in free agency.

I agree, the only issue with the Cowboys is who will be the GM? Shanny or Jerry Jones? I don't think Jerry is ready to let his GM position go. If not, is Shanny willing to just be a head coach? This IMO will be a big factor whether he coaches for them or not.

rastaman
09-29-2009, 10:25 AM
Dallas would be the best bet for him based on the control he wants. Jerry Jones is the only guy he would have to answer to. plus he would get to coach the QB he wanted a few years ago.

If Shanny had the choice btwn coaching Romo or Cutler....who would he choose?

barryr
09-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Dallas or the Skins are the leading candidates for Shanahan.

rastaman
09-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Yep, pictures are worth a thousand words.

Question is how successful would either of these coaches be in todays NFL of salary cap and player FA?

The 70's, 80's, and 90's saw the NFL at its zenith. The 21th Century NFL is a Ringling Brothers---Entertainment Joke.

Dukes
09-29-2009, 10:31 AM

I bet it's closer than you think. He wanted Romo out of school too

rastaman
09-29-2009, 10:31 AM
He was very very very close to taking the Florida job before he turned them down. and they hired Urban Meyers instead!

How about Shanny taking over for the CU Buffs horrible Football program?? :wiggle:

TonyR
09-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Question is how successful would either of these coaches be in todays NFL of salary cap and player FA?

I think you might be missing the point I assume Broncomutt was trying to make.

TonyR
09-29-2009, 10:33 AM
How about Shanny taking over for the CU Buffs horrible Football program?? :wiggle:

Can you see Shanny on the recruiting trail? I can't.

rastaman
09-29-2009, 10:35 AM
I bet it's closer than you think. He wanted Romo out of school too

Interesting. I can't see Shanny passing up an opportunity to reunite with Cutler. Also, imagine if Shanny also bring along a coach that throughly understands zone blocking, Forte would really take his ability to another level.

baja
09-29-2009, 10:42 AM

My guess is nobody is better aware of Cutler's short comings than Shanny and he would not ever team up with Cutler again. Truth be told Cutler is a coach killer and Shanny was his first victim.

jhat01
09-29-2009, 10:46 AM
My guess is nobody is better aware of Cutler's short comings than Shanny and he would not ever team up with Cutler again. Truth be told Cutler is a coach killer and Shanny was his first victim.

Cutler didn't kill Shanny, Shanny killed Shanny. That's out there, even for you.