PDA

View Full Version : Need help: Buying a mountain bike

Boobs McGee
04-21-2009, 06:05 PM
So, last year I moved into a place that's about 4 miles away from work. Would REALLY like to start biking to and from, but also want to head up to the mountain and do some trail riding.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for me?

Used to have a pretty sweet Rockhopper (sold for cash when I was hard up a few years ago BOOOO) that rode really well, so I'm looking for something along those lines.

My budget is around $250 (obviously, doesn't have to be new), and I'd like something with front suspension. Disc brakes and full suspension would be sweet, but for my price range not likely.

Anywho, any advice on where to look (i've checked out craigslist, seems like a few pretty good deals) or what brand to go with would be appreciated.

I'm just over 6', about 265. and yes, this is part of the reason I am buying the bike. two ****ing sixty five. fat ass.

thanks and cheers

Boobs McGee
04-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Oh ya and one more thing. Giant and Mongoose? Seen a few mountain bikes of theirs online cheaply priced, but for some reason I keep associating them with huffy....are they decent?

loborugger
04-21-2009, 06:09 PM
I am a big fan of Cannondale. I had one in my 20s that I rode the wheels off. And they are made in the states - I am a fan of that idea. However, I dont know if they have anything in your price bracket new. But a used one is a solid bet, too.

Boobs McGee
04-21-2009, 06:22 PM
I am a big fan of Cannondale. I had one in my 20s that I rode the wheels off. And they are made in the states - I am a fan of that idea. However, I dont know if they have anything in your price bracket new. But a used one is a solid bet, too.

any particular model I should be looking into? I like the idea of buying local too...

theedge111
04-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Gary Fisher, but you're not going to find a good one for $250!

PRBronco
04-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Oh ya and one more thing. Giant and Mongoose? Seen a few mountain bikes of theirs online cheaply priced, but for some reason I keep associating them with huffy....are they decent?

I ride a Giant, and so does my bro in law (he really knows his stuff, I'm kind of a noob). I can't really recommend any models for what you're looking for, ours are all-mountain/downhill models, but I can vouch for the brand, no complaints. Good luck!

WABronco
04-21-2009, 07:03 PM
Ya of those two names Giant would be the bigger company as well as the better product. Honestly at 250, you aren't going to be able to find much in the way of performance or serious trail riding ability, but pedaling is a lot better and easier on the ol' knees than running...period.

broncofan2438
04-21-2009, 07:05 PM
I have a specialized Stump Jumper and love it. But a budget of $250? Better go to Costco bud

Dr. Broncenstein
04-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Disc brakes will cost you 250. You may want to look for a used bike if that is your budget.

I would not recommend a full suspension unless you are a dedicated downhill offroad rider. Hill climbing is a bitch even with front suspension unless the shocks are set super stiff or locked out. When you stand-pedal, the suspension gives way and you loose tons of energy.

Disc brakes are a must if you think water will be involved. I have been involved in an accident because I had wheel brakes that were wet from a sudden shower.

Being a big guy myself, standard rims will not last if you are going off road. You should give consideration to a downhill backrim at least. Or you can replace a standard rim about every 4 months of serious riding.

I think 250 dollars might buy you an OK used bike, or a new walmart ride. If you are really serious and want to be a daily rider, especially at your size... you should probably invest about 3-4 times that much on a quality ride. You'll either become frustrated and quit... or spend that much money anyway trying to keep your economy bike going IMO.

loborugger
04-21-2009, 07:14 PM
any particular model I should be looking into? I like the idea of buying local too...

In your price range, a new one is outta range. But most of them are pretty good. Good luck.

CHANGSTER
04-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Have I got a bike for you!
Manly Bike for Sale
Date: 2008-07-22, 10:18AM PDT

Bike for sale

What kind of bike? I don't know, I'm not a bike scientist. What I am though is a manly guy looking to sell his bike. This bike is made out of metal and kick ass spokes. The back reflector was taken off, but if you think that deters me from riding at night, you're way wrong. I practiced ninja training in Japan's mount Fuji for 5 years and the first rule they teach about ninja biking is that back reflectors let the enemy know where you are. Not having a rear reflector is like saying "**** YOU CAR, JUST TRY AND FIND ME".

The bike says Giant on the side because it's referring to my junk, but rest assured even if you have tiny junk that Giant advertisement is going to remain right where it is. I bought this bike for 300 dollars from a retired mercenary that fought in both World War 1 and World War 2 and had his right arm bitten off by a shark in the Phillipines while stationed there as a shark handler. When he sold it to me I had to arm wrestle him for the honor to buy it. I broke his arm in 7 places when I did. He was so impressed with me he offered me to be his son but I thought that was sissy **** so I said no way.

The bike has some rusted screws, but that just shows how much of a bad ass you are. Everyone knows rusted screws on a bike means that you probably drove it underwater and that's bad ass in itself. Those screws can be replaced with shiny new ones, but if you're going to go to that trouble why not just punch yourself in the balls since you're probably a dickless lizard who doesn't like to look intimidating.

The bike is for men because the seat is flat or some **** and not shaped like a dilrod. If you like flat seated bikes you're going to love this thing because it doesn't try to penetrate your ass or anything.

I've topped out at 75 miles per hour on this uphill but if you're just a regular man you'll probably top it out at 10 miles per hour. This thing is listed as a street bike which is man-code for bike tank. The bike has 7 speeds in total:

Gear 1 - Sissy Gear
Gear 2 - Less Sissy Gear
Gear 3 - Least Sissy Gear
Gear 4 - Boy Gear
Gear 5 - Pre-teen Boy Gear
Gear 6 - Manly Gear
Gear 7 - Big Muscles Gear

I only like gear 6 and 7 to be honest.

Additionally, this tool of all immense men comes with a gigantic lock to keep it secure. The lock is the size of a bull's testicles and tells people you don't **** around with locking up your bike tank. It tells would-be-thieves "Hey a-hole, touch this bike and I'll appear from the bushes ready to club you with a two-by-four".

Bike is for 150 OBO (and don't give me no panzy prices)
http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/765370039.html

Seriously though, like you said craigslist is a good place to look if your on a budget. Lots of bikes on there, just gotta be patient. You could get a few and piece em out even.

broncosteven
04-21-2009, 07:56 PM
I bought a Gary Fisher a couple years back, it was closer to $450 I think and it was not the top of the line.

I don't do more than suburban crushed gravel trail riding with it but it is solid and comfortable.

Irish Stout
04-21-2009, 08:10 PM
I just bought a used 2007 Specialized Rockhopper for $300. Great bioke compared to the crap I was riding - old diamondback and a columbia disc brake mountain bike I bought for $250 at Dick Sports. Trust me on this, if you are going off road get a solid bike, especially for your height and weight (I'm roughly the same) otherwise you'll wear your bike down quickly and you won't be comfortable and happy.

Boobs McGee
04-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Have I got a bike for you!

Seriously though, like you said craigslist is a good place to look if your on a budget. Lots of bikes on there, just gotta be patient. You could get a few and piece em out even.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAA i seriously think i just peed myself a little.

THAT is funny ****.

ahaha

Ahem.

Anywho....I don't know if you guys read my original post, but let me clarify. I'm not looking to buy NEW.

Mostly city riding, with the occasional trip up to the trails. And by occasional trip up to the trails i mean probably won't try jumping off any cliffs, over any logs, or over any kickers.

I'll definitely look more into giant, the ones I saw on craigslist were in my range, and looked relatively new.

The rockhopper and stump jumper I saw on there had Deore components...are they any good?

thanks, keep the advice coming.

And as far as the poster about needing a newer back rim...do I just ask for that at the bike shop? Like a heavier duty rim or what?

Dr. Broncenstein
04-21-2009, 08:15 PM
I have a Gary Fisher Tassajara... which was about 900 new. I have spent at least that much on upgrading to disc brakes, a downhill back rim, and numberous repairs over the last 2 years. Not to mention my health insurance deductable for the crash in which I thankfully wasn't seriously hurt.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-21-2009, 08:16 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAA i seriously think i just peed myself a little.

THAT is funny ****.

ahaha

Ahem.

Anywho....I don't know if you guys read my original post, but let me clarify. I'm not looking to buy NEW.

Mostly city riding, with the occasional trip up to the trails. And by occasional trip up to the trails i mean probably won't try jumping off any cliffs, over any logs, or over any kickers.

I'll definitely look more into giant, the ones I saw on craigslist were in my range, and looked relatively new.

The rockhopper and stump jumper I saw on there had Deore components...are they any good?

thanks, keep the advice coming.

And as far as the poster about needing a newer back rim...do I just ask for that at the bike shop? Like a heavier duty rim or what?

Yeah... your local bike shop will understand.

Boobs McGee
04-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Disc brakes will cost you 250. You may want to look for a used bike if that is your budget.

I would not recommend a full suspension unless you are a dedicated downhill offroad rider. Hill climbing is a b**** even with front suspension unless the shocks are set super stiff or locked out. When you stand-pedal, the suspension gives way and you loose tons of energy.

Disc brakes are a must if you think water will be involved. I have been involved in an accident because I had wheel brakes that were wet from a sudden shower.

Being a big guy myself, standard rims will not last if you are going off road. You should give consideration to a downhill backrim at least. Or you can replace a standard rim about every 4 months of serious riding.
I think 250 dollars might buy you an OK used bike, or a new walmart ride. If you are really serious and want to be a daily rider, especially at your size... you should probably invest about 3-4 times that much on a quality ride. You'll either become frustrated and quit... or spend that much money anyway trying to keep your economy bike going IMO.

That's the part I was wondering about...A downdhill backrim? Is that kind of a sturdier rim? Would I have to buy a different tread as well?

And as far as the disc brakes go...obviously that's something I would WANT, but can't afford at the moment (unless someone is really jsut trying to get rid of a tricked out used bike on C.L.). I did however see something today at the bike shop. The guy showed me the difference between two tires. One had a brushed aluminum ring where the pads actually came together on the tire, and he said that would do pretty well. Any word on whether it would weather the weather? haha

Boobs McGee
04-21-2009, 08:17 PM
I have a Gary Fisher Tassajara... which was about 900 new. I have spent at least that much on upgrading to disc brakes, a downhill back rim, and numberous repairs over the last 2 years. Not to mention my health insurance deductable for the crash in which I thankfully wasn't seriously hurt.

WOW. that's a lotta cash. Ya, not that serious about it yet :D and glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt.

Boobs McGee
04-21-2009, 08:19 PM
I just bought a used 2007 Specialized Rockhopper for $300. Great bioke compared to the crap I was riding - old diamondback and a columbia disc brake mountain bike I bought for $250 at Dick Sports. Trust me on this, if you are going off road get a solid bike, especially for your height and weight (I'm roughly the same) otherwise you'll wear your bike down quickly and you won't be comfortable and happy.

Where did you happen to find that deal Irish?

Boobs McGee
04-21-2009, 08:27 PM
So these are the ones I've been checking out....there's a few in here for 300, and I'd be willing to go that high if it were worth the extra cash. AND, there's a always a bit of negotiation on C.L., so we'll see.

I would appreciate any input, but completely understand if this is a waste of your time :D

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1133717121.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1133180895.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1133107943.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1133062118.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1131315760.html this ones a motiv....looked too good to bee true

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1131305003.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1131042518.html bronco orange, definitely up on the list haha

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1130001816.html and here's the other giant

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1117031193.html never heard of motobecane, but it looked pretty shweet

and last but not least this gary fisher
http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1123224676.html

watermock
04-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Better it's comfortable than anything, I don't think your going extreme. 400 should get a good bike if your not abusive.

worm
04-21-2009, 09:14 PM
You need a clydesdale specific bike.

Find a used Santa Cruz Heckler.

Hell of a bike for a dude over 200.

WABronco
04-21-2009, 11:17 PM

Yep.

To be honest most of that stuff you listed should be in the antiques department. I'm surprised they're even asking for 250 on some of those. You'd also probably break something within a week.

That Specialized might be the best you're gonna find on that budget.

~Crash~
04-22-2009, 12:11 AM
Yep.

To be honest most of that stuff you listed should be in the antiques department. I'm surprised they're even asking for 250 on some of those. You'd also probably break something within a week.

That Specialized might be the best you're gonna find on that budget.

Why you guys say that your base line Giant is $250 my Gaint cost $500 I love it way more than the Specialized I do like the disk brakes though .

Specialized starts out at $250 and mine ran $800 so....

Boobs McGee
04-22-2009, 07:05 AM

Santa Cruz Heckler eh? I'll start checking into that as well. Thanks dood

jmz313
04-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Find a couple year old used Specialized Hard Rock. Should fall within your buget an be fine for what you need.

Ah an SC heckler ain't gonna fit that budget.

bronclvr
04-22-2009, 07:52 AM
I have an older Gary Fisher Joshua X-they were made for quite a few Years and are pretty durable-are you looking for a hard tail? Here's what it looks like, although I upgraded mine to a 24 speed, and some other stuff-I've seen the price of them come down the last few Years-

http://i39.tinypic.com/sgsmmx.jpg

WyoLaw
04-22-2009, 08:13 AM
All good advise. Also, try ebay. I've purchased a few bikes on their and found some really good deals. But like everyone has mentioned, for $250 bucks you aren't going to get much. However, if you just doubled what you are willing to spend you could find a nice bike. $500 would get you a couple year old hard-tail, disc brakes and all. It just takes patience and lots of looking. Seriously though, for a larger rider you should get a Gary Fisher 29'r. 29'rs are superior to standard 26 inch wheels, especially for bigger fellas. Anyway, purchase a bike and you'll feel like a kid again.

worm
04-22-2009, 08:16 AM
Find a couple year old used Specialized Hard Rock. Should fall within your buget an be fine for what you need.

Ah an SC heckler ain't gonna fit that budget.

Saw a used Heckler go for $450 the other day. You can get good deals with this economy if you look. But yeah, over the budget.

I guess part of the point was that beefier quality for a bigger guy is well worth the extra money. Get something that is built for your body, style of use and you will use and enjoy it a lot more.

Garcia Bronco
04-22-2009, 08:19 AM

My roommate from 15-18 years ago still has his Giant. Just saying.

bronco_diesel
04-22-2009, 09:11 AM
So, last year I moved into a place that's about 4 miles away from work. Would REALLY like to start biking to and from, but also want to head up to the mountain and do some trail riding.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for me?

Used to have a pretty sweet Rockhopper (sold for cash when I was hard up a few years ago BOOOO) that rode really well, so I'm looking for something along those lines.

My budget is around $250 (obviously, doesn't have to be new), and I'd like something with front suspension. Disc brakes and full suspension would be sweet, but for my price range not likely.

Anywho, any advice on where to look (i've checked out craigslist, seems like a few pretty good deals) or what brand to go with would be appreciated.

I'm just over 6', about 265. and yes, this is part of the reason I am buying the bike. two ****ing sixty five. fat ass.

thanks and cheers

keep an eye on some of the rental bike shops as they sell off some of their older bikes to replace with newer. about 4 years ago i was able to snag a trek fuel full suspension for $300. not a bad bike. was def. used but did the trick for a couple years.

philiptr2
04-22-2009, 11:13 AM

I ride a Giant Yukon that I bought new in 1993. It has been a great bike. I think this summer might be the year when I actually have to replace it. When I do, I'm getting another Yukon.

The Yukon from 1993 is comparable to today's Rincon, so another Yukon is a step up from what I currently have. Actually, being 17 years newer is at least a step up, so I am two or three steps up. :yayaya:

ak1971
04-22-2009, 11:31 AM
I have a Gary Fisher sugar 3+ Had it for a few years...I think my next bike is a Yeti... I think you'll have a hard time getting much quality for $250.

Go up to Boulder and have some one steal you one for $250 !Booya!

Boobs McGee
05-03-2009, 01:28 AM
UPDATE!!!!

FINALLY BOUGHT A BIKE TODAY!

First off, thanks so much again for all the help everyone. I've done a bunch of research over the last week, and learned a LOT about bikes. I checked out about 4 or 5 bikes before purchasing this one...

I'm the proud owner of a used Santa cruz Heckler! (thanks worm, good pick) It's actually about ten years old, but the frame is still in amazing shape.
some of the specs
Rock Shock Sid on the front
XT V Brakes
XT Derailers and crank
Shram Grip Shift
Monkey Light Handlebars
Koobi Seat
kooka cranks
fox vanilla TC coil shock in the back
titanium post
Mavic rims
bontrager wheels

TALKED HIM DOWN FROM 450 to 300!!!!

It's obviously used, and has a couple minor problems. I'm replacing the shifter cables, as well as putting on some xt rapid fire shifters when I find them.

It has clipless pedals right now, so I'm gonna buy some regular platforms tomorrow, until I have money for the clip shoes.

Overall though, the bike is fuggin AWESOME! Still lots of life left in the components all around.

Can't post a pic from my harddrive for some reason, so here's the link to the bike from C.L.
http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1141385027.html

THANKS AGAIN EVERYBODY!!!!!! :thumbsup: !Booya! ;D :thumbs:

Boobs McGee
05-03-2009, 01:36 AM
p.s., my buddy was in the same situation as I. Looking for a decent bike...but he's overweight, on a budget, didn't know a whole lot about bikes. So, he hired me as his "broker" haha.

One of the bikes I was calling about turned out to be the one for him. AND IT'S BETTER THAN MINE!!!!

Got him a Schwinn Rocket 88 stage one! Absolutely PERFECT condition! The guy seriously took incredible care of his ride.
Schwinn Rocket 88 Stage One Mtn bike. Large frame, full suspension, XTR rear derailer, XT front derailer, XT cranks, SID SL dual air front shock with SID rear shock, Titec aluminum seat post and handle bars, new tires, new brakes, recent full tune, bontrager tires, hugi hubs, mavic rims, computer. Recent replacement of bottom bracket.

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1134066085.html

The pictures don't do it justice, it's all cleaned up and literally looks like a floor model bike.

It's bronco ORANGE as well. Seriously kicked myself in the ass, because it's such a nice bike and it's not mine lol. BUT, i'm totally stoked about mine, so it's all gravy!