PDA

View Full Version : Bears GM not concerned with Jay Cutler's life

HEAV
04-21-2009, 12:46 PM
By Vaughn McClure

There have been reports circulating about concerns over Jay Cutler's party life being a bad mix for a player living with diabetes. A recent photo posted on deadspin.com showed the Bears quarterback out at a bar with an unidentified drink in hand.

Bears general manager Jerry Angelo did his homework on Cutler before trading for him, and Angelo doesn't seem to be worried about Cutler's off-the-field life.

``I'm not going to micro-manage a person,'' Angelo said. ``If we have to do that, that's not a good sign. Some lessons they have to see amongst themselves. I don't think that's a big thing at this point. It's what he does on Sunday is how we're going to evaluate him. That's the bottom line.

``He's got a good foundation coming in here. He's a young quarterback. He's played in this league. He's shown what he can do. He gets it.''

Angelo was asked specifically about Cutler's drinking habits related to the diabetes.

``When we did our research ... we know he goes out, we know he does those things,'' Angelo said. ``We talked to our medical people. We talked to the Denver medical people.It comes with the territory. We're comfortable with it. I really can't answer it beyond that.''
------

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2009/04/chicago-bears-gm-not-concerned-with-jay-cutlers-life-outside-football.html

-----

Ya good luck with that thinking.

bronclvr
04-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Angelo was asked specifically about Cutler's drinking habits related to the diabetes.

"we know he goes out, we know he does those things,'' Angelo said.

"It comes with the territory. We're comfortable with it.''

Wow-just wow-

Kaylore
04-21-2009, 12:50 PM
The smear campaign of people in the front office contin....wait...what?

Man-Goblin
04-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Here we go again! I love it.

Beantown Bronco
04-21-2009, 12:52 PM
`We talked to our medical people. We talked to the Denver medical people.It comes with the territory. We're comfortable with it.

What I've been saying all along. More evidence that the medical community is on my side.

broncofan2438
04-21-2009, 01:18 PM
What else is he supposed to say???? "Yea, we are really concerned with his partying and drinking with diabetes"

Gcver2ver3
04-21-2009, 01:19 PM
what's the guy supposed to say?..."yeah i'm very concerned about his lifestyle after giving up two 1st round picks, a 3rd and our starting QB"....

telluride
04-21-2009, 01:19 PM
He should be concerned.

azbroncfan
04-21-2009, 01:21 PM
He is going to have a short career boozing hard with the disease he has. Wilson was able to play because he said what he had to do was just watch his diet and eat healthy but the boozing is very bad with that disease.

kamakazi_kal
04-21-2009, 01:35 PM
what's the guy supposed to say?..."yeah i'm very concerned about his lifestyle after giving up two 1st round picks, a 3rd and our starting QB"....

I think the fact he did give up all that speaks volumes as to how big of a problem it really is.......... not very.

LT1 was a freaking crackhead but he produced ..... that's all teams care about.

Gcver2ver3
04-21-2009, 01:41 PM
I think the fact he did give up all that speaks volumes as to how big of a problem it really is.......... not very.

LT1 was a freaking crackhead but he produced ..... that's all teams care about.

yea we'll see about that...

kamakazi_kal
04-21-2009, 01:45 PM
yea we'll see about that...

Let's not forget the guy is only 25. I can't speak for anyone else but at 25 I partied plenty hard.
Now if he's drinking before games that's another story but so far that's basicly all hearsay by people on this board.

All in all it's Chicago's problem now.

theAPAOps5
04-21-2009, 01:47 PM
they aren't concerned now, but thats now.

Kaylore
04-21-2009, 01:48 PM
But I thought all the Cutler haters were just making this stuff up! Where is BPC and Atwater his ass to accuse the GM of lying? Where are all the people that said this was all part of an elaborate smear campaign hatched by McDaniels? I guess McDaniels is still trying to smear Cutler and now he's enlisted the Bears GM to help! Oh the humanity!

;D

Gcver2ver3
04-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Let's not forget the guy is only 25. I can't speak for anyone else but at 25 I partied plenty hard.
Now if he's drinking before games that's another story but so far that's basicly all hearsay by people on this board.

All in all it's Chicago's problem now.

i'm not sayin the guy is a risk for wanting to party...

i just don't know if will be as successful w/o the weapons and situation he had here...

two 1st rounders, and a player is an awful lot to give up...

eh time will tell...

broncswin
04-21-2009, 01:49 PM
If he needs a good drinking buddy he could just call up Mr. Clarret, now that guy could give him a few pointers!!

Man-Goblin
04-21-2009, 01:50 PM
But I thought all the Cutler haters were just making this stuff up! Where is BPC and Atwater his ass to accuse the GM of lying? Where are all the people that said this was all part of an elaborate smear campaign hatched by McDaniels? I guess McDaniels is still trying to smear Cutler and now he's enlisted the Bears GM to help! Oh the humanity!

;D

That's what the 5th rounder was for.

TheDave
04-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Cutler Drunk >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Orton Sober

This draft better be good...

kamakazi_kal
04-21-2009, 01:54 PM

i just don't know if will be as successful w/o the weapons and situation he had here...

eh time will tell...

well we should see by the end of this year. Really it's a combo of WR and the QB's throwing them the ball. You have Denver with better WR and Chicago with (my opinion) a better QB.

I guess it will also depend on if Chicago opens up their offense at all, we know Denver will be throwing a bunch this year just based on McD's past history.

Kaylore
04-21-2009, 01:55 PM

Um no. I would say Cutler sober is way better than Orton sober, but if Cutler is an alcoholic then he has a disease and everything around him is going to degenerate until he gets it fixed. Ironically Orton has been there and cleaned up and that's a large part of why he did so well last year. Orton behind our line and with our receivers will be pretty good.
I agree. Even if Cutler fails, if we don't hit on this draft then we lost in the trade.

24champ
04-21-2009, 01:56 PM
He hasn't landed in the hospital, then again these are the same OM doctors who declared that Brandon Marshall was going to be unfit to catch balls last season. ::)

Gcver2ver3
04-21-2009, 01:58 PM

your post<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< FAIL

give Orton a chance....

Gcver2ver3
04-21-2009, 01:59 PM
well we should see by the end of this year. Really it's a combo of WR and the QB's throwing them the ball. You have Denver with better WR and Chicago with (my opinion) a better QB.

don't forget o-lines and coaching...

huge factors...

TheDave
04-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Um no. I would say Cutler sober is way better than Orton sober, but if Cutler is an alcoholic then he has a disease and everything around him is going to degenerate until he gets it fixed. Ironically Orton has been there and cleaned up and that's a large part of why he did so well last year. Orton behind our line and with our receivers will be pretty good.

I agree. Even if Cutler fails, if we don't hit on this draft then we lost in the trade.

Well according to some people around here Cutler was/is an alcoholic and was hung over every home game last season... If that's the case then a drunk Cutler already proved that he is far superior to a now clean and sober Orton.

Regardless.... Doesn't matter any more.

Kaylore
04-21-2009, 02:00 PM
He hasn't landed in the hospital, then again these are the same OM doctors who declared that Brandon Marshall was going to be unfit to catch balls last season. ::)

You mean the same ones who were exonerated when Marshall said at the pro-bowl that his arm still is numb and probably won't be the same?

Kaylore
04-21-2009, 02:01 PM
Well according to some people around here Cutler was/is an alcoholic and was hung over every home game last season... If that's the case then a drunk Cutler already proved that he is far superior to a now clean and sober Orton.

Regardless.... Doesn't matter any more.

I only personally know of two and they were pretty bad games. And I admit that I have no idea if his drinking affected his play the day after.

But it does matter because I want Chicago to fail so we get a better pick.

24champ
04-21-2009, 02:02 PM

Wonder if Elway drank before some games we lost in...

TheDave
04-21-2009, 02:02 PM
your post<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< FAIL

give Orton a chance....

There's a reason why Chicago was more than happy to give us 3 picks and Orton for Cutler and his "issues".... (it's 'cause everyone knows how much better he is)

TheDave
04-21-2009, 02:03 PM
I only personally know of two and they were pretty bad games. And I admit that I have no idea if his drinking affected his play the day after.

But it does matter because I want Chicago to fail so we get a better pick.

On that part we completely agree on...:thumbs:

Gcver2ver3
04-21-2009, 02:04 PM
There's a reason why Chicago was more than happy to give us 3 picks and Orton for Cutler and his "issues".... (it's 'cause everyone knows how much better he is)

i'm not saying Orton is better than Cutler (although he may be a better "fit" for our new offense)...

i'm saying that we should give Orton a chance...

your post to me implied that Orton sucks...and i whole-heartedly disagree with that...

i think Orton will be very effective for us...

TheDave
04-21-2009, 02:15 PM
your post to me implied that Orton sucks...and i whole-heartedly disagree with that...

Actually my post just stated Cutler was/is significantly better than Orton... You assumed the rest.

telluride
04-21-2009, 02:20 PM
People with diabetes don't get better. They get worse. People with type 1 diabetes who like to liquor it up get worse more quickly and more dramatically. The arc of Cutler's career is going to be fairly short.

summerdenver
04-21-2009, 02:26 PM

;D

The smart way to do the smear campaign would be to leak a couple of things to media and let it snow ball on its own. The first time this was reported was in the MSM was fox 31 report claiming source close to Brocnos FO.

Having said that this neither proves nor disapproves anything. It could well be that fox 31 source leaked it on his own - who knows at this point. However, just because some other outlet is reporting this does not mean anything. It neither proves that Broncos stared this or disapproves that they have nothing do with it. I just hope we are fair to Chris and others.

Kaylore
04-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Actually my post just stated Cutler was/is significantly better than Orton... You assumed the rest.

You said a drunk Cutler is better than sober Orton. That's basically saying Orton sucks.

Shoemaker
04-21-2009, 02:27 PM

Well, to be fair, you implied that Cutler playing drunk is far superior to Orton at his most sober. (I say far superior because you sure used a lot of "greater than" signs.)

Yes, nobody's denying that Cutler has more physical ability. But we definitely can't conclude that Cutler is that much better than Orton, because we haven't seen them play under the same circumstances.

I mean, last year Cutler was playing behing arguably the best pass-blocking offensive line in the NFL, which SIGNIFICANTLY helps any QB's performance. In addition, he was throwing to a physical Pro-bowl receiver, the best rookie receiver in the NFL, one of the NFL's top slot receivers, and two above-average tight ends. Yes, he didn't have much of a running game, but that situation sounds tailor-made for a QB to perform well in.

By contrast, Orton had far less protection from his O-Line, and a fairly pedestrian bunch at wideout, and he was STILL playing at a Pro-bowl level before his ankle injury.

So until we see both QBs play under the same situation (or reversing situations, as we have now), we can't really conclude that Cutler is magnitudes better than Orton.

Yes, obviously Cutler is more physically gifted than Orton. But if being a great QB came down to physical gifts then Jeff George and JaMarcus Russel would be All-Pros. Let's just wait and see.

Give Orton a chance, and he might surprise you.

TheDave
04-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Well, to be fair, you implied that Cutler playing drunk is far superior to Orton at his most sober. (I say far superior because you sure used a lot of "greater than" signs.)

Yes, nobody's denying that Cutler has more physical ability. But we definitely can't conclude that Cutler is that much better than Orton, because we haven't seen them play under the same circumstances.

I mean, last year Cutler was playing behing arguably the best pass-blocking offensive line in the NFL, which SIGNIFICANTLY helps any QB's performance. In addition, he was throwing to a physical Pro-bowl receiver, the best rookie receiver in the NFL, one of the NFL's top slot receivers, and two above-average tight ends. Yes, he didn't have much of a running game, but that situation sounds tailor-made for a QB to perform well in.

By contrast, Orton had far less protection from his O-Line, and a fairly pedestrian bunch at wideout, and he was STILL playing at a Pro-bowl level before his ankle injury.

So until we see both QBs play under the same situation (or reversing situations, as we have now), we can't really conclude that Cutler is magnitudes better than Orton.

Yes, obviously Cutler is more physically gifted than Orton. But if being a great QB came down to physical gifts then Jeff George and JaMarcus Russel would be All-Pros. Let's just wait and see.

Give Orton a chance, and he might surprise you.

I'm guessing that you haven't seen some of the posts around here...

See we have a handful of people who when all their stories are combined have Cutler sitting alone in local bars drunk off of his ass ALL THE TIME. So just taking their stories at face value I have to assume that Cutler was hung over for the majority of last season.

Therefore I came to the simple conclusion that a drunk/hungover Cutler is 2 1st round picks and a 3rd better than our clean and sober Kyle Orton.

Thats all I am saying... I don't hate Orton, nor do I think he sucks. I do think he is painfully average.

SouthStndJunkie
04-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Who is to say that Orton is not bombed all the time?

Everyone talks about Cutler, but I see Kyle Orton and Jack Daniels pictures so much on the Internet that you would think they were a couple.

BigPlayShay
04-21-2009, 02:38 PM
I love you man:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/deadspin/2009/04/jay-greg.jpg

SouthStndJunkie
04-21-2009, 02:41 PM
Personally....I don't I have a problem with either of them going out and drinking....John Elway probably drank more than Cutler and Orton.

If Cutler wants to shave the nursing home years off his life by drinking now, then so be it, that is his choice. I really don't think it will be detrimental to his overall health in the next decade.

24champ
04-21-2009, 02:49 PM
You mean the same ones who were exonerated when Marshall said at the pro-bowl that his arm still is numb and probably won't be the same?

I'm talking about the ones that were hysterical and called him "claw v.2".

24champ
04-21-2009, 02:57 PM
A difference a year makes...

Is this supposed to be a big deal? A guy at a party?

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=67569

So kahn goes from "what's the big deal?" to "Cutler is ruining himself". LOL

DomCasual
04-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Wonder if Elway drank before some games we lost in...

Elway never drank alcohol. He only drank filtered water and V8 juice. And he only ate food that was high in fiber.

True story.

HEAV
04-21-2009, 03:12 PM

Well it was before we found about his diabetes (the info didn't come out until May) also these where before Jay being seen drinking the night before a game.

Fact is people can access info and change their opinion on a issue. There was a time when I thought Shanny could do no wrong, but then something can change your view on a person/issue.

So it's bad that Kay changed his mind? Or should he be a fake (like some one here) and just maintain the ideas of the past?

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.

chaz
04-21-2009, 03:12 PM

Seconded. Jay knows how to take care of himself. You people are ridiculous.

DomCasual
04-21-2009, 03:13 PM

Well, in fairness, I would say that "a party" and "lots of parties" are quite different. Cutler seems to have his picture taken at lots of parties. Remember the one here - the picture with the guy with the awesome sweater?

That said, I would probably still be defending him if he was a Bronco. But he's not. So he's a lush.

chaz
04-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Well it was before we found about his diabetes (the info didn't come out until May) also these where before Jay being seen drinking the night before a game.

Fact is people can access info and change their opinion on a issue. There was a time when I thought Shanny could do no wrong, but then something can change your view on a person/issue.

So it's bad that Kay changed his mind? Or should he be a fake (like some one here) and just maintain the ideas of the past?

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.

Like leaving Denver and being forced to justify it to yourself? Sounds really wise.

I'm all for making informed decisions, but so many here are just delusional about Cutler (on both sides).

rastaman
04-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Personally....I don't I have a problem with either of them going out and drinking....John Elway probably drank more than Cutler and Orton.

If Cutler wants to shave the nursing home years off his life by drinking now, then so be it, that is his choice. I really don't think it will be detrimental to his overall health in the next decade.

What you fail to realize is that Orton could have a drinking problem as well! It may be in remission b/c he suddenly got married. So he's already showing a crutch weakness that it took getting married to stop boozing Jim Beam. Since marriages aren't guaranteed! Who's to say if Orton's' marriage ends in a messy divorce......Ole' Orton doesn't return to the bottle to drown his sorrows!

But who's to say all the years Orton has been boozing it up that he hasn't already damaged his kidneys? who's to say Orton hasn't already damaged his liver? The damage to both organs may not show up now, but who knows weirder things have happened. Sometimes your kidney's or liver don't show damage until years down the road, or the damage could reveal itself while practicing and exerting yourself in the hot summer sun of July and August during training camp!

If Orton's' liver or kidney's are compromised, what happens when Orton takes a "Helmet" to the liver or kidneys and the hit is enough to damage his kidneys that have already been compromised from years of drinking.

Did Bowlen have doctors examine Orton's liver and kidney's to ensure they are working proficiently? You just don't know Orton's conditions after undoubtedly partying and boozing it up in college as well as his first 3 or 4 years in the NFL.

Thats 6 or 7 consecutive years of boozing it up with Hard Liquor, and not just Beer. Lastly, who knows, Orton could be a dry drunk and have everyone fooled. Orton could be hitting the Jim Beam bottle hard and heavy in the privacy and comfort of his own home and not publicly, and who would know the difference?

http://www.celebridiot.com/2008/09/08/kyle-orton-beats-colts-still-drunk/

Kaylore
04-21-2009, 03:21 PM

Um that was before the diabetes. It was also before my friend told me about how he saw him wasted at a Bar in Denver before the San Diego game.
Here's a post a few months later when I learned this information.
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=1995026&postcount=15

I wrongfully assumed his medical condition would have him mend his ways. But he was right back out hitting the bars and getting wasted. By the end of the year he was getting hammered before games, games like the Raiders where he fumbled on the one yard line. Do I know that mistake and many others that game were a result of him being out the night before? No. But I know it didn't help.

Owned and owned again!

SouthStndJunkie
04-21-2009, 03:21 PM
What you fail to realize is that Orton could have a drinking problem as well! It may be in remission b/c he suddenly got married. So he's already showing a crutch weakness that it took getting married to stop boozing Jim Beam. Since marriages aren't guaranteed! Who's to say if Orton's' marriage ends in a messy divorce......Ole' Orton doesn't return to the bottle to drown his sorrows!

But who's to say all the years Orton has been boozing it up that he hasn't already damaged his kidneys? who's to say Orton hasn't already damaged his liver? The damage to both organs may not show up now, but who knows weirder things have happened. Sometimes your kidney's or liver don't show damage until years down the road, or the damage could reveal itself while practicing and exerting yourself in the hot summer sun of July and August during training camp!

If Orton's' liver or kidney's are compromised, what happens when Orton takes a "Helmet" to the liver or kidneys and the hit is enough to damage his kidneys that have already been compromised from years of drinking.

Did Bowlen have doctors examine Orton's liver and kidney's to ensure they are working proficiently? You just don't know Orton's conditions after undoubtedly partying and boozing it up in college as well as his first 3 or 4 years in the NFL.

Thats 6 or 7 consecutive years of boozing it up with Hard Liquor, and not just Beer. Lastly, who knows, Orton could be a dry drunk and have everyone fooled. Orton could be hitting the Jim Beam bottle hard and heavy in the privacy and comfort of his own home and not publicly, and who would know the difference?

http://www.celebridiot.com/2008/09/08/kyle-orton-beats-colts-still-drunk/

I did not fail to realize it....I brought it up a handful of posts ago:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2389737&postcount=37

Popps
04-21-2009, 03:22 PM
No one is going to tell Jay what to do!!!

24champ
04-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Well it was before we found about his diabete

Doesn't matter if it was or not. I have no doubt that Jay is seeing the best doctors and if he was in serious trouble over this overblown drinking issue then we would already be seeing the effects of it.

IE. He would be laying in a hospital bed somewhere.

This is nothing more than people acting like their girlfriend left them.

chaz
04-21-2009, 03:25 PM

Ideally, identical situations would be great. Yes. But that is impossible-a lot has and will change between 08 and 09 for both teams. As for your arguments, there is so much wrong here I don't even know where to begin.

OL advantage Cuter. Sure. WR's too? Yup. But since when is no running game advantageous? And what about the defenses? Missed that comparison. And special teams? Hmm. Cutler had to get it done when everyone in the stadium knew we were passing. Orton never needed to score 40+pts/week to have a chance, and Cutler never had Forte for 16 games to carry the load.

It's not as one sided as you made it sound. And it isn't all about stats...or physical talent. Cutler made throws under pressure that very few can.

24champ
04-21-2009, 03:32 PM
Um that was before the diabetes. It was also before my friend told me about how he saw him wasted at a Bar in Denver before the San Diego game.

Look if you think Jay is the only Bronco out late at night partying before a game, you are mistaken.

I actually live downtown, so I've seen Bronco players at bars and doing things they shouldn't be doing, things that are much worse than simply having a few beers. To be honest I am surprised a few Broncos haven't been busted for drug tests.

DomCasual
04-21-2009, 03:33 PM

DUH! Then we play the guy without the spleen.

broncosteven
04-21-2009, 03:38 PM
By Vaughn McClure

There have been reports circulating about concerns over Jay Cutler's party life being a bad mix for a player living with diabetes. A recent photo posted on deadspin.com showed the Bears quarterback out at a bar with an unidentified drink in hand.

Bears general manager Jerry Angelo did his homework on Cutler before trading for him, and Angelo doesn't seem to be worried about Cutler's off-the-field life.

``I'm not going to micro-manage a person,'' Angelo said. ``If we have to do that, that's not a good sign. Some lessons they have to see amongst themselves. I don't think that's a big thing at this point. It's what he does on Sunday is how we're going to evaluate him. That's the bottom line.

``He's got a good foundation coming in here. He's a young quarterback. He's played in this league. He's shown what he can do. He gets it.''

``When we did our research ... we know he goes out, we know he does those things,'' Angelo said. ``We talked to our medical people. We talked to the Denver medical people.It comes with the territory. We're comfortable with it. I really can't answer it beyond that.''
------

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2009/04/chicago-bears-gm-not-concerned-with-jay-cutlers-life-outside-football.html

-----

Ya good luck with that thinking.

I think Jay is fine until he crashes his Lamborgini into a tree on the Dan Ryan, walks away from the accident, get a hotel room, report the car as stolen and sleeps off the drunk.

Oh Sorry that already happend with Lance Briggs, they didn't do anything about that. I am guessing they are happy with their new Franchise QB.

Kaylore
04-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Look if you think Jay is the only Bronco out late at night partying before a game, you are mistaken.

I actually live downtown, so I've seen Bronco players at bars and doing things they shouldn't be doing, things that are much worse than simply having a few beers. To be honest I am surprised a few Broncos haven't been busted for drug tests.

I've heard those stories too. Guys hitting on girls when they're married. Guys doing drugs. My concern is if it affects you on game day you have a problem. And as I said, if Cutler's an alcoholic it's only going to degenerate.

24champ
04-21-2009, 03:47 PM
I've heard those stories too. Guys hitting on girls when they're married. Guys doing drugs. My concern is if it affects you on game day you have a problem. And as I said, if Cutler's an alcoholic it's only going to degenerate.

Again, if this was true, he would be in the hospital. No question about it. Jay is being monitored by the best, and they say he is healthy.

This is just overblown topic by those with sour grapes.

TheDave
04-21-2009, 03:52 PM

When I was in College at CSUF I lived off campus across the streeet from a Bar that was a known hang out for L.A. Rams Players... Let me put it this way Saturday nights were just as busy as Friday night.

telluride
04-21-2009, 03:54 PM
This is just overblown topic by those with sour grapes.

Actually, it's just a normal post by someone who feels we moved Cutler at the peak of his (soont to be declining) value.

TheDave
04-21-2009, 03:58 PM
Actually, it's just a normal post by someone who feels we moved Cutler at the peak of his (soont to be declining) value.

Hey, I hope you're right... Personally i think all of you folks that wanted him out of here are nuts, but i really do hope you are right.

24champ
04-21-2009, 04:00 PM

We'll see.

baja
04-21-2009, 04:01 PM

eh time will tell...

Not just a player but a pretty good starting/ winning QB with a manageable one year contract and a third round pick this year.

Vegas_Bronco
04-21-2009, 04:07 PM

Cow = girl that a married nfl player visits when he's 'in town' for a game. Usually occurs frequently in the NFL. Too bad that their god given talent isn't more self respected than that.

watermock
04-21-2009, 04:10 PM

Actually, BM's drops indicate his arm is not right.

broncosteven
04-21-2009, 04:23 PM
Actually, BM's drops indicate his arm is not right.

He still made the pro-bowl. I know the Pro-bowl means nothing to Bronco fans.

The Pro-bowl and 104 catches in 15 games and 1200+ yards and 6 TD's.

richpjr
04-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Ideally, identical situations would be great. Yes. But that is impossible-a lot has and will change between 08 and 09 for both teams. As for your arguments, there is so much wrong here I don't even know where to begin.

OL advantage Cuter. Sure. WR's too? Yup. But since when is no running game advantageous? And what about the defenses? Missed that comparison. And special teams? Hmm. Cutler had to get it done when everyone in the stadium knew we were passing. Orton never needed to score 40+pts/week to have a chance, and Cutler never had Forte for 16 games to carry the load.

It's not as one sided as you made it sound. And it isn't all about stats...or physical talent. Cutler made throws under pressure that very few can.

I agree that there is no real way to compare the situations between years, especially with the Broncos having a new coaching staff, a vastly different roster, and a new offensive scheme.

Having said that, bringing up the running game and defense doesn't help your argument much. The Broncos were 12th in the league in rushing last year. The Bears were 24th. And while nobody can possibly claim that the Broncos 29th ranked defense was anything than horrible, the "vaunted" Bears defense wasn't that much better with their 21st ranking.

watermock
04-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Actully, alcohol is an "empty" sugar that does not affect glucose levels.

Driking a vodka tonic would have little effect on blood sugar levels. Of course it still has debilitating effects on the liver, kidneys as they attempt to process poison, and parts of the brain controling behavior...

Regardless, type 1 diabetes is quite different than type 2. There is no cure. While type 2 can be controlled by eliminating starch, no such option is available for type 1

BTW, I'm drinking reg coke and my BS is 109.

broncosteven
04-21-2009, 04:49 PM
I agree that there is no real way to compare the situations between years, especially with the Broncos having a new coaching staff, a vastly different roster, and a new offensive scheme.

Having said that, bringing up the running game and defense doesn't help your argument much. The Broncos were 12th in the league in rushing last year. The Bears were 24th. And while nobody can possibly claim that the Broncos 29th ranked defense was anything than horrible, the "vaunted" Bears defense wasn't that much better with their 21st ranking.

Bears may have been 24th in the league rushing but they had a 1200+ yard rookie RB.

Denver didn't have a 1000 yard rusher the last couple years.

Would you prefer a RB that can put a game away or 7 RB's on IR?

broncosteven
04-21-2009, 04:50 PM

Driking a vodka tonic would have little effect on blood sugar levels. Of course it still has debilitating effects on the liver, kidneys as they attempt to process poison, and parts of the brain controling behavior...

Regardless, type 1 diabetes is quite different than type 2. There is no cure. While type 2 can be controlled by eliminating starch, no such option is available for type 1

Healthy Mock ROCKS!

Hamrob
04-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Honestly...this is a silly thread. If you are a diabetic...you have to watch your blood sugar levels all the time. Therefore...if Cutler is having a drink or two...he's watching his levels and taking injections as needed.

The kid is 25yrs old. So, he has a few beers...give me a break!

Where is it written that he gets bloody drunk?

baja
04-21-2009, 04:58 PM

<b> If Cutler wants to shave the nursing home years off his life by drinking now, then so be it, that is his choice. I really don't think it will be detrimental to his overall health in the next decade.

That's not the way it works. If he really does have the disease of alcoholism his judgment will be not as sharpe all the time, drunk or sober, his attitude will be more self centered and less team orientated, his physical skills will not be as quick or sharp, his leadership will come into question by his team mates. All this adds up to a physically gifted player who is not a winner and that will rub off on the rest of the team just like it likely had in some games last year and as long as the drinking (If in fact it is alcoholic drinking) continues the situation will continue to deteriorate . Not saying Jay is an alcoholic nor am I saying he will not find a way to stop drinking but with the information we have it does give much pause for concern now, add in his behavior surrounding the infamous trade for Cassel and we may well have traded Cutler at the height of his value.

Popps
04-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Again, just keep partying the night before games, Jay. That's all I ask. Stay up all night, dude! No one can tell you what to do!

Hopefully he's still at least buzzed by game-day mornings.

I wonder how ****ed up he got the night before the Buffalo game?

Anyway, every loss moves us closer to the #1 pick, Jay. We're all behind you.

Blueflame
04-21-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm guessing that you haven't seen some of the posts around here...

See we have a handful of people who when all their stories are combined have Cutler sitting alone in local bars drunk off of his ass ALL THE TIME. So just taking their stories at face value I have to assume that Cutler was hung over for the majority of last season.

Therefore I came to the simple conclusion that a drunk/hungover Cutler is 2 1st round picks and a 3rd better than our clean and sober Kyle Orton.

Thats all I am saying... I don't hate Orton, nor do I think he sucks. I do think he is painfully average.

Well... at least we'll be spared the debates with Bolts fans over which team has the best QB this season because clearly they do.

SouthStndJunkie
04-21-2009, 05:26 PM
That's not the way it works. If he really does have the disease of alcoholism his judgment will be not as sharpe all the time drunk or sober, his attitude will be more self centered and less team orientated, his physical skills will not be as quick or sharp, his leadership will come into question by his team mates. All this adds up to a physically gifted player who is not a winner and that will rub off on the rest of the team just like it likely has in some games last year and as long as the drinking (If in fact it is alcoholic drinking) continues the situation will continue to deteriorate . Not saying Jay is an alcoholic nor am I saying he will not find a way to stop drinking but with the information we have it does give much pause for concern now, add in his behavior surrounding the infamous trade for Cassel and we may well have traded Cutler at the height of his value.

You must know Jay pretty well....or you may just be going off a few random Internet rumors and some pictures on the Internet that have been rehashed ad nauseum on the Mane.

With what I have seen, there is just a great a chance of Kyle Orton being an alcoholic....but you don't seem concerned about that. Kyle seems like he likes to pound his Jack Daniels and pass out.

Either way, I could really care less....I just think it's funny that some people are reacting this way now that Cutler is gone.

watermock
04-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by watermock

They managed to test my BS from 220 to 18. I was almost killed 4 times while hospitalized, all nurse or doctor error.

If you want to die, go to a hospital.

baja
04-21-2009, 05:39 PM
You must know Jay pretty well....or you may just be going off a few random Internet rumors and some pictures on the Internet that have been rehashed ad nauseum on the Mane.

With what I have seen, there is just a great a chance of Kyle Orton being an alcoholic....but you don't seem concerned about that. Kyle seems like he likes to pound his Jack Daniels and pass out.

Either way, I could really care less....I just think it's funny that some people are reacting this way now that Cutler is gone.

I am not concerned with Orton right now (Check thread title), do consider we got Simms and we will draft a QB somewhere this year so I'm content to wait and see on Orton. As for Cutler, damn Junkie I don't think I could have worked in any more disclaimers in my post. To be clear IMO I think Cutler does have a problem furthermore I think we traded him at the height of his value but bottom line time will tell.

Popps
04-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Well... at least we'll be spared the debates with Bolts fans over which team has the best QB this season because clearly they do.

They did last year, too. It really wasn't much of a debate.

Blueflame
04-21-2009, 05:43 PM

Whatever....

footstepsfrom#27
04-21-2009, 05:46 PM

That 'bout sums it up.

Mogulseeker
04-21-2009, 05:47 PM

Very reasoned post. Orton's rating was 79, and he didn't complete a very high percentage of passes, but I think depending on his touch (hard to tell with the Beard o-line) he can do just as well as Cutler in this system, and I think Cutler just might throw 25 picks next year.

HAT
04-21-2009, 05:51 PM

:notworthy :notworthy

Careful Popps....ownage statements like that might affect her personally like those meanies in the PNW.

kamakazi_kal
04-21-2009, 05:52 PM
I don't hate Orton, nor do I think he sucks. I do think he is painfully average.

I can't think of a better way to put it.

kamakazi_kal
04-21-2009, 05:56 PM

I'm hoping so.

kamakazi_kal
04-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Not just a player but a pretty good starting/ winning QB with a manageable one year contract and a third round pick this year.

a winning QB with an good defense and above average special teams and one hell of a (dump off) running game.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-21-2009, 05:57 PM
I love all this revisionist history going around. Trying to make it sound like Cutler is a bad team mate.

Trust me I get it. Cutler is no long a Bronco. But don't be fooled to think that he didn't put it out there on the field 100% of himself 100% of the time.

Remember his first year he roomed with Sheffler and studied together to get better on there own, and worked together on the scout team when Plummer was still the starter. Or Remember when Cutler and Marshall worked together during the offseason to work on their on field commuication. Then last year he, Marshall and Sheffler all went down to Atlanta to work together to get better.

No before ya'll start with the BS of "Everybody does that". BS. They never said any of that stuff besides Manning and Marvin. Its because its unique. Thats why they report it. Reporters never report the common.

Don't dilute yourself into thinking Cutler was some horrible team mate. If you need that to sleep at night says more about you than it says about me.

baja
04-21-2009, 06:05 PM
I love all this revisionist history going around. Trying to make it sound like Cutler is a bad team mate.

Trust me I get it. Cutler is no long a Bronco. But don't be fooled to think that he didn't put it out there on the field 100% of himself 100% of the time.

Remember his first year he roomed with Sheffler and studied together to get better on there own, and worked together on the scout team when Plummer was still the starter. Or Remember when Cutler and Marshall worked together during the offseason to work on their on field commuication. Then last year he, Marshall and Sheffler all went down to Atlanta to work together to get better.

No before ya'll start with the BS of "Everybody does that". BS. They never said any of that stuff besides Manning and Marvin. Its because its unique. Thats why they report it. Reporters never report the common.

Don't dilute yourself into thinking Cutler was some horrible team mate. If you need that to sleep at night says more about you than it says about me.

That's just it he didn't have a 100% to give if he got loaded the night before which is one of the few things we know for sure.

kamakazi_kal
04-21-2009, 06:12 PM
That's just it he didn't have a 100% to give if he got loaded the night before which is one of the few things we know for sure.

cmon you really know anything for sure? it's all hearsay......someone told me... I saw..... know what I heard.....cmon.

a friend told me Paris hilton's V smells like flowers ......... warts and all.

baja
04-21-2009, 06:15 PM
cmon you really know anything for sure? it's all hearsay......someone told me... I saw..... know what I heard.....cmon.

Kaylore vouched for the story and I just don't think Kaylore would do that if he did not know for absolute certain it was true.

kamakazi_kal
04-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Kaylore vouched for the story and I just don't think Kaylore would do that if he did not know for absolute certain it was true.

ok .... that helps his argument right? ......still hearsay .......

checks in the mail.... love ya forever.

broncosteven
04-21-2009, 06:17 PM

Griese was the only Bronco QB to get a DUI, Elway was/is a big drinker. Baja just likes to stir the pot even though Jay didn't cause any trouble while he was in Denver.

theAPAOps5
04-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Whatever....

Truth hurts doesn't it. Funny how the apologists here will just debunk what others know is true because they don't want to believe it.

baja
04-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Griese was the only Bronco QB to get a DUI, Elway was/is a big drinker. Baja just likes to stir the pot even though Jay didn't cause any trouble while he was in Denver.

Not this time I am taking Kaylore at his word which I think he has earned around here.

Blueflame
04-21-2009, 06:21 PM
:notworthy :notworthy

Careful Popps....ownage statements like that might affect her personally like those meanies in the PNW.

"Ownage", eh? I'd venture that a year ago, the percentage of Broncos fans who would have conceded the notion that Rivers was better than Cutler would have been a distinct minority.

Rivers is clearly far superior to either Orton or Simms, however. And probably so are Cassel and Jamarcus. We now have arguably the worst QB in the division.

The Pacific Northwest... like most of the football-watching world... sees that the Broncos front office has made themselves a league-wide laughingstock. And nothing short of a playoff berth is going to change that.

Blueflame
04-21-2009, 06:24 PM
Truth hurts doesn't it. Funny how the apologists here will just debunk what others know is true because they don't want to believe it.

Except it's not the truth, Apa. There were many debates over whether Rivers or Cutler was better.

kamakazi_kal
04-21-2009, 06:29 PM

I know the bashing is just a joke ..... the deal was good but for everyone to be singing the praise is stupid. Those extra special super wonderful first round picks haven't panned out yet and unless you get a special blue player or two in their ...... ITS A LOSS.

We haven't seen one thing from McD accept for destruction .... no wins .... No magic ... no anydamn thing. man what, 2 interviews/pressers and everyones drinking the kool-aid. Really?

The guy has no track record as far as I'm concerned. No matter what anybody wants to say he WAS NOT the HC in new england and Bellicheat had the final call on game plans and plays for the week .... your kidding yourself if you think other.

I've seen Kyle Orton play ....... no hearsay no stats no speculation ..... he's average at best.

I get the "team first" and all that but, cutler was one of the few player's who had leverage againt an F.O. and everyones all as$ hurt about it. Players dream of that situation. Cutler will have a good year and he's gonna get big cash next offseason and Denver will be looking for another QB. Anyone want to give Kyle a big contract? anyone? no.................

broncosteven
04-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Not this time I am taking Kaylore at his word which I think he has earned around here.

Which is still 2nd hand info, more if Kahn got the info from a friend.

baja
04-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Except it's not the truth, Apa. There were many debates over whether Rivers or Cutler was better.

Blue I have been purposely giving you space to rant cause your pain is real on all that has gone down but over the course of the season Philips was the better player, hate to say it but he was.

BroncoBuff
04-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Does anybody want to hear my opinion?

baja
04-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Which is still 2nd hand info, more if Kahn got the info from a friend.

In this life of lies and deceptions and misinterpretations you got to trust some of the people some of the time and on this one I chose to trust Kaylore.

24champ

Actually he is right, it's hearsay. Kaylore and Montrose will never know because they weren't there.

They assume that players just stay home and read the playbook and go to bed. That's not how it works in real life. Many athletes party it up before a game, whether it's a hockey, basketball, football player. Most of them do it. It's the high life and they want to live it.

Cutler isn't any different. He isn't some hermit like some people are on this board, it's not a crime that some people like to go out and have fun.

baja
Does anybody want to hear my opinion?

Which version you selling today? ;D

ShutDownPoster
04-21-2009, 06:41 PM

Mock - awesome pancreas!

Anyhow, speaking from personal experience - alcohol lowers the blood sugar -so you're immediate danger would be hypoglycemia, which could lead to coma or death. My doctor always said to me, if you're blood sugar is high we can always bring it down with a little more insulin - but if you enexpectedly end up with severe hypoglycemia - you could die.

Blueflame
04-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Blue I have been purposely giving you space to rant cause your pain is real on all that has gone down but over the course of the season Philips was the better player, hate to say it but he was.

Some Broncos fans did see it that way, Baja. But the Broncos homers in general, did not. A year ago, it would certainly not have been the firm consensus of opinion here on the Mane that Rivers was better than Cutler. I'm too lazy to do a search, but it seems to me that I recall discussion with Bolts fans over which QB was better.

baja
04-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Some Broncos fans did see it that way, Baja. But the Broncos homers in general, did not. A year ago, it would certainly not have been the firm consensus of opinion here on the Mane that Rivers was better than Cutler. I'm too lazy to do a search, but it seems to me that I recall discussion with Bolts fans over which QB was better.

OK try this; you have been gifted one chance to alter history and put either Cutler or Rivers on the Broncos roster who do you chose?

broncosteven
04-21-2009, 06:46 PM
In this life of lies and deceptions and misinterpretations you got to trust some of the people some of the time and on this one I chose to trust Kaylore.

When it is convenient.

I respect Kahn also, I am sure he heard what he heard. I am not so sure that our last 20 Qb's haven't done the same thing the night before a game.

I will even bet $ that Elway knocked back a few the night before all the SB's. You will have to get me in a room with John to collect as I don't want to lose based on what a friend of a friend of some dude on the InterNetS friend said.

Blueflame
04-21-2009, 06:48 PM
OK try this; you have been gifted one chance to alter history and put either Cutler or Rivers on the Broncos roster who do you chose?

I guarantee you if you had posted that poll question here on the Mane a year ago, the responses would have been heavily in favor of Cutler.

Furthermore, there is a fairly large percentage of football fans who believe Brees > Rivers..... ;D

baja
04-21-2009, 06:50 PM
I guarantee you if you had posted that poll question here on the Mane a year ago, the responses would have been heavily in favor of Cutler.

Do it now and it will be more accurate.

Blueflame
04-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Do it now and it will be more accurate.

No, it wouldn't. And the reason why is that there is an unusually high degree of bitterness toward Cutler amongst the Bronco faithful right now which would prevent any degree of rationality whatsoever.

broncosteven
04-21-2009, 06:52 PM

Furthermore, there is a fairly large percentage of football fans who believe Brees > Rivers..... ;D

Blue is right.

I still think Rivers is a bigger punk than Cutler but I am guessing Bronco nation loves Rivers now.

Blueflame
04-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Blue is right.

I still think Rivers is a bigger punk than Cutler but I am guessing Bronco nation loves Rivers now.

Some Broncosfans may love Rivers now... but this will always be the way I see him:

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii73/dmajorfifth/DREW0119.gif

baja
04-21-2009, 06:55 PM
No, it wouldn't. And the reason why is that there is an unusually high degree of bitterness toward Cutler amongst the Bronco faithful right now which would prevent any degree of rationality whatsoever.

I said "more accurate", it would have been off the charts biased a year ago, hey we're all homers to a degree or we wouldn't be here on April 21

broncosteven
04-21-2009, 06:58 PM
I said "more accurate", it would have been off the charts biased a year ago, hey we're all homers to a degree or we wouldn't be here on April 21

Blue:

This is as close to "Ok, your right Blue!" that you are going to get from Baja.

LOL

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-21-2009, 06:58 PM

for sure? because a couple a pics on the internet don't count.

ShutDownPoster
04-21-2009, 06:59 PM
'Their use of alcoholic beverages. Drinking alcoholic beverages, especially on an empty stomach, can cause hypoglycemia, even a day or two later. Heavy drinking can be particularly dangerous for people taking insulin or medications that increase insulin production. Alcoholic beverages should always be consumed with a snack or meal at the same time. A health care provider can suggest how to safely include alcohol in a meal plan.'

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/hypoglycemia/

Being that he's jacked up with Gatorade between snaps should prevent this probelm, but the body is a funny thing - some sudden bolt of insulin can come in and shake up the system a bit. Again, these are the immediate concern about the excessive drinking.

baja
04-21-2009, 07:00 PM
for sure? because a couple a pics on the internet don't count.

Who knows I'm just here to practice my spelling.....

BroncoBuff
04-21-2009, 07:01 PM
I do know that liquor has no carbs ...

Speaking for myself, I've never thought Jay was wuite equal to Rivers, but it's close.

And I was kinda shouted down once about a year ago for saying that ....

baja
04-21-2009, 07:02 PM
I saw into Jay's soul and there was a picture of;

http://www.scotchwhisky.net/images/retail/park_avenue/inside_shop.jpg

NUB
04-21-2009, 07:03 PM
Cutler is shown with a beer in his hand and he's jumped all over.

Orton has a deck of photo albums of him looking totally blitzed while holding a handle of 40 and the reaction is "He's a warrior."

BroncoBuff
04-21-2009, 07:05 PM

Speaking for myself, I've never thought Jay was quite Rivers' equal, but it's close. And I was kinda shouted down once about a year ago for saying that ....

Blueflame
04-21-2009, 07:07 PM

It would be just as biased (the other way) now as it would have been then. A year ago, as I stated in my above post, the Broncos homers would have said Cutler was better. Now, those who have totally "turned" on Cutler in recent weeks (and can't seem to say anything bad enough about him) just might vote that Brodie Croyle is better.

Blueflame
04-21-2009, 07:09 PM
Blue:

This is as close to "Ok, your right Blue!" that you are going to get from Baja.

LOL

Could be... ;D

theAPAOps5
04-21-2009, 07:11 PM

No its clear Rivers was the better QB. Sad thing is it shouldn't be that way Cutler has tons more ability but he lacks any semblance of mental strength. That and his love for the bottle.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Who knows I'm just here to practice my spelling.....

Look. i'm not here to "take you to task". i'm just saying that i'm not a "kool aid" drinker. But I don't want anybody else to be a 'kool aid" drinker either. Its like this. You can either lie to me or you can lie to yourself. If you lie to me is fine. I'm fine with that. But don't lie to yourself. Dear god never lie to yourself.

maher_tyler
04-21-2009, 07:12 PM

Come on dude...look at the players that were around Cutler last year..not to mention Shanny as the coach. How many #1 WR does Chicago have..hell even a #2 WR?? Not to mention the O line we have here...the personel isn't even close except for RB. We will see how good he really is this year!!

TheDave
04-21-2009, 07:13 PM

The entire alchohol / Beetus situation is pathetically misunderstood around here. As long as he maintains his insulin/Glucose levels it's no different than you or me drinking. Considering he wears an insulin pump I'm pretty sure he has a handle on this.

TheDave
04-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Come on dude...look at the players that were around Cutler last year..not to mention Shanny as the coach. How many #1 WR does Chicago have..hell even a #2 WR?? Not to mention the O line we have here...the personel isn't even close except for RB. We will see how good he really is this year!!

Hey, if you want to pretend Orton is comparable to Cutler... have at it.

baja
04-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Look. i'm not here to "take you to task". i'm just saying that i'm not a "kool aid" drinker. But I don't want anybody else to be a 'kool aid" drinker either. Its like this. You can either lie to me or you can lie to yourself. If you lie to me is fine. I'm fine with that. But don't lie to yourself. Dear god never lie to yourself.

Good point. Whats strange is everyone lies to them selves all the time and they don't even know it.

"To thy own self be true" is the hardest thing to do, way harder that not lying to another.

watermock
04-21-2009, 07:18 PM

Yes, but is is a toxin.

That's why Scotch or vodka doesn't leave a hangover like a daquari, just a lingering drunk.

Bronx33
04-21-2009, 07:21 PM
GM Jerry Angelo says new QB will be judged on field not off

And so it begins.

watermock
04-21-2009, 07:25 PM

That's why firing him was imperative. The offense sucked!

Cooked Crack would of busted off 2200 in our system!

Gcver2ver3
04-21-2009, 07:28 PM
as a proud African American, i support Kyle Orton 100%...

maher_tyler
04-21-2009, 07:30 PM

I wasn't saying Orton is better by any means...i'm just saying Cutler had much better weapons on O...we'll see how he does without all the weapons he had here and what Orton can do with much better talent around him..time will tell.

Edit: Also minus the offensive minded coach...

maher_tyler
04-21-2009, 07:34 PM
That's why firing him was imperative. The offense sucked!

Cooked Crack would of busted off 2200 in our system!

I wouldn't say it sucked...average would be more appropriate...we we're 3rd in the league in total yards..that accounts for something.

Blueflame
04-21-2009, 07:35 PM
No its clear Rivers was the better QB. Sad thing is it shouldn't be that way Cutler has tons more ability but he lacks any semblance of mental strength. That and his love for the bottle.

What's clear is that Rivers had a better/healthier team around him... Cutler's team had no semblance of a perceptible defense.... and has consistently lost the field position battle for years. When a team is struggling on both defense and special teams, the offense often tries too hard to "make something happen" and that can lead to crucial mistakes. Cutler was/is a player who has the talent to change the outcome of a game; he just needs more experience.

Blueflame
04-21-2009, 07:37 PM

Some of the rest of us may not openly challenge that take.... but you can rest assured we're inwardly snickering and saying to ourselves "yeah, right"...

TheDave
04-21-2009, 07:37 PM
I wasn't saying Orton is better by any means...i'm just saying Cutler had much better weapons on O...we'll see how he does without all the weapons he had here and what Orton can do with much better talent around him..time will tell.

Folks I'm in on the joke that Cutler is no longer an option...

But after watching a handful of bears games this offseason I'm not ready to say Orton is anything more than average. Cutler was well above average... and yes, I am considering the talent each had to work with.

IMO we have taken a significant step backwards... I guess we will see how this plays out in a few months.

baja
04-21-2009, 07:38 PM
What's clear is that Rivers had a better/healthier team around him... Cutler's team had no semblance of a perceptible defense.... and has consistently lost the field position battle for years. When a team is struggling on both defense and special teams, the offense often tries too hard to "make something happen" and that can lead to crucial mistakes. Cutler was/is a player who has the talent to change the outcome of a game; he just needs more experience.

Like march down the field time after time only to turn the ball over or other wise not score.

kamakazi_kal
04-21-2009, 07:38 PM
as a proud African American, i support Kyle Orton 100%...

Why u gotta take it all racial?? ....... Nice AV.

As a white guy I think Orton's a joke.

baja
04-21-2009, 07:41 PM
As a Mexican I will hate if we move up to draft Sanchez.

Gcver2ver3
04-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Why u gotta take it all racial?? ....... Nice AV.

jk...

i actually have been having fun with this since a guy started a thread about Latinos being proud of having Sanchez as a QB for the Broncos...

don't mind me, i'm just being silly...

Blueflame
04-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Like march down the field time after time only to turn the ball over or other wise not score.

That can happen when A) a QB is trying too hard to "make something happen"... or B) the offense has almost-weekly season-ending injuries to a RB which makes it virtually impossible for the ground game to gain any sort of consistency. Sometimes a fumble can occur on a simple QB-to-RB exchange, which becomes more likely when it's a different RB every week. It was amazing to me that with so many RBs on injured reserve, we still won 8 games.

baja
04-21-2009, 07:48 PM
That can happen when A) a QB is trying too hard to "make something happen"... or B) the offense has almost-weekly season-ending injuries to a RB which makes it virtually impossible for the ground game to gain any sort of consistency. Sometimes a fumble can occur on a simple QB-to-RB exchange, which becomes more likely when it's a different RB every week. It was amazing to me that with so many RBs on injured reserve, we still won 8 games.

Well it could be jay was still drunk and seeing two sets of hands and handed off the the wrong set. Just sayin....

Natedogg
04-21-2009, 07:49 PM
Hey. I was just thinkin....

THANK GOD GONZOLAYS IS OFF THE BOARD!!!

kamakazi_kal
04-21-2009, 07:50 PM

:thumbs: rep.

kamakazi_kal
04-21-2009, 07:51 PM
Hey. I was just thinkin....

THANK GOD GONZOLAYS IS OFF THE BOARD!!!

:spit: rep ...... also.

Blueflame
04-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Well it could be jay was still drunk and seeing two sets of hands and handed off the the wrong set. Just sayin....

It could also be partly because everyone who even remotely follows football knew that if the offense didn't get that first down... and let the defense on the field... we'd be down by either 3 or 7 more points in the next few moments....

baja
04-21-2009, 07:55 PM
It could also be partly because everyone who even remotely follows football knew that if the offense didn't get that first down... and let the defense on the field... we'd be down by either 3 or 7 more points in the next few moments....

Well finally you admit Cutler couldn't handle the pressure. ;D

maher_tyler
04-21-2009, 07:56 PM

Why is this always the excuse for making poor decisions/bad throws/Ints??

With a O line giving up only 13 sacks or whatever it was throwing that many Ints is not excusable no matter how bad the D was or what the field position was..not to mention how many times i saw a guy drop an Int right in his hands!!

The Colts were 31st in the league in rushing yards yet Manning still had a 95 QB rating...6 less Ints and 2 more TD's.

Bottom line is, if your decision making skills suck...you can have all the physical ability in the world but it wont mean much!!

HEAV
04-21-2009, 07:58 PM

offtopic

Why are Mod's the only people allowed to have sigs?

Blueflame
04-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Well finally you admit Cutler couldn't handle the pressure. ;D

I admitted nothing of the sort. I said the defense was going to give up more points, which is the truth. Last year's team's most glaring problems were on defense and special teams; not the offense.

TheDave
04-21-2009, 08:02 PM

With a O line giving up only 13 sacks or whatever it was throwing that many Ints is not excusable no matter how bad the D was or what the field position was..not to mention how many times i saw a guy drop an Int right in his hands!!

The Colts were 31st in the league in rushing yards yet Manning still had a 95 QB rating...6 less Ints and 2 more TD's.

Bottom line is, if your decision making skills suck...you can have all the physical ability in the world but it wont mean much!!

Ummmm... Cutler was in his 2 full season as a starter. Manning just finished his 11th.

Believe it or not QB's usually improve their decision making with experience.

For the record in mannings 2nd full season he was sacked 14 times and 15 picks.

Blueflame
04-21-2009, 08:05 PM

Again, whether we're talking about the offense, defense, or special teams, a constant change of personnel is going to disrupt the rhythm of the game and the result is going to be that the team is going to have problems "gelling". Cutler would just begin to get comfortable with one RB and suddenly the guy was sidelined for the rest of the year. It's a highly unusual circumstance for that many players at a single position to be on IR.... but to act as though it shouldn't affect team performance in any way is unrealistic.

BroncoInferno
04-21-2009, 08:06 PM
I admitted nothing of the sort. I said the defense was going to give up more points, which is the truth. Last year's team's most glaring problems were on defense and special teams; not the offense.

Anyone who knows anything about football knows the offense was a problem, too. Not the #1 problem maybe, but 16th in point and 2nd worst in turnovers is a unacceptable result by any reasonable measure.

Blueflame
04-21-2009, 08:06 PM
offtopic

Why are Mod's the only people allowed to have sigs?

I have no idea... in the case of my sig, perhaps it's because it's hosted on photobucket; not uploaded to the Mane's server. Good question, though.

Bronco_Beerslug
04-21-2009, 08:07 PM
Ummmm... Cutler was in his 2 full season as a starter. Manning just finished his 11th.
Believe it or not QB's usually improve their decision making with experience.
For the record in mannings 2nd full season he was sacked 14 times and 15 picks.And won 13 games on a team that went 3-13 the year before (his 2nd full season).

Blueflame
04-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Anyone who knows anything about football knows the offense was a problem, too. Not the #1 problem maybe, but 16th in point and 2nd worst in turnovers is a unacceptable result by any reasonable measure.

And again, we got remarkably good performance from such an injury-riddled offense.

TheDave
04-21-2009, 08:09 PM
And won 13 games on a team that went 3-13 the year before (his 2nd full season).

Yeah I'm sure that had nothing to do with us having the worst defense in the league... Come on Slug you're smarter than that.

rastaman
04-21-2009, 08:12 PM

Speaking of getting loaded on game day....check this photo out:

Lets all hope that Kyle's marriage last for a while! Wouldn't want that game day face pacing the sidelines and calling plays from the huddle. Remember Orton stopped boozing it up b/c he got MARRIED!!! :wiggle:

Bronco_Beerslug
04-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Yeah I'm sure that had nothing to do with us having the worst defense in the league... Come on Slug you're smarter than that.They had a horrible defense when he went 13-3, his second year.
One thing I never liked about Cutler was his nonchalant attitude about the game. And the Colts defense gave up 423 points that year.

Blueflame
04-21-2009, 08:24 PM
They had a horrible defense when he went 13-3, his second year.
One thing I never liked about Cutler was his nonchalant attitude about the game. And the Colts defense gave up 423 points that year.

Manning also had one starting RB... a healthy Edgerrin James who rushed for 1553 yards and caught for 586 more. That makes a huge difference in how an offense performs. Just a guess, but Marvin Harrison's 1663 receiving yards just might have affected the win/loss total, too.

rastaman
04-21-2009, 08:27 PM

DUH!.....how important is your SPLEEN! If you didn't need, mother nature wouldn't have given you ONE in the first DAM place.

Point, is Sims is now a high risk for infections of different sorts b/c your spleen plays an important part in your resistance to infections and diseases! And your risk to these diseases and infections stay high for the rest of your life!

Sims will also be slow to heal from injuries b/c he no longer has a SPLEEN!!

So now we have an incubator QB backup or starter, hopefully all of Sims shots are up to date!! Way to go McD!! How much did you sign Chris Simms for???????

BroncoInferno
04-21-2009, 08:27 PM
And again, we got remarkably good performance from such an injury-riddled offense.

The defense was injury riddled, too. Worse, actually. On offense, it was really only the RBs who got hurt, and yet the running game was still decent. The OL and WR were intact. That excuse won't fly.

TheDave
04-21-2009, 08:28 PM

You need to check your stats... 1999 was his 2nd year.

1999 the colts allowed less than 24 points per game for 378.

We allowed 28 per game for a total of 448.

the colts D ranked 13th in pts allowed... We ranked 30th

The Colts defense was above average his second year... not quite horrible.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-21-2009, 08:29 PM

What? Nonchalant. How many QB lead block on a double reverse? Or put there shoulder down to take on a tackler? No really. Name me 5 QB's that do that. Or do I have to drag out St. Elways name.

This is the revisionist history I'm talking about. Look I'll talk about Cutler and cut him down. But what I won't do is lie and make $h!7 up.

baja
04-21-2009, 08:29 PM
Speaking of getting loaded on game day....check this photo out:

Lets all hope that Kyle's marriage last for a while! Wouldn't want that game day face pacing the sidelines and calling plays from the huddle. Remember Orton stopped boozing it up b/c he got MARRIED!!! :wiggle:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=24086&stc=1&d=1240369810

I can make the pope look like that if I use my pause button correctly.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-21-2009, 08:30 PM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=24086&stc=1&d=1240369810

I was about to say that.

Blueflame
04-21-2009, 08:32 PM
The defense was injury riddled, too. Worse, actually. On offense, it was really only the RBs who got hurt, and yet the running game was still decent. The OL and WR were intact. That excuse won't fly.

Just to clarify... if you're arguing that injuries excuse the defense's ranking of 30th in the league, then it follows that you're arguing that Slowik should have had another year to prove himself. :P

TheDave
04-21-2009, 08:32 PM

In fairness, having known quite a few priests... I'm pretty sure the pope drinks more than Cutler and Orton combined.

Bronco_Beerslug
04-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Manning also had one starting RB... a healthy Edgerrin James who rushed for 1553 yards and caught for 586 more. That makes a huge difference in how an offense performs. Just a guess, but Marvin Harrison's 1663 receiving yards just might have affected the win/loss total, too. I guess we had no receivers on this team last year? Cutler had all day back there almost every game too.

rastaman
04-21-2009, 08:33 PM

Shhhhhhhhh........thats okay, Orton is who you think he is! ;)

rastaman
04-21-2009, 08:34 PM
In fairness, having known quite a few priests... I'm pretty sure the pope drinks more than Cutler and Orton combined.

Yep! Imagine the whine cellar the Pope has access too!:thumbs:

Bronco_Beerslug
04-21-2009, 08:36 PM
You need to check your stats... 1999 was his 2nd year.

1999 the colts allowed less than 24 points per game for 378.

We allowed 28 per game for a total of 448.

the colts D ranked 13th in pts allowed... We ranked 30th

The Colts defense was above average his second year... not quite horrible.Got the point total wrong but allowing 24 points a game is hardly a stellar D.

Besides, who wants a whiner for a starting QB? ;D

maher_tyler
04-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Again, whether we're talking about the offense, defense, or special teams, a constant change of personnel is going to disrupt the rhythm of the game and the result is going to be that the team is going to have problems "gelling". Cutler would just begin to get comfortable with one RB and suddenly the guy was sidelined for the rest of the year. It's a highly unusual circumstance for that many players at a single position to be on IR.... but to act as though it shouldn't affect team performance in any way is unrealistic.

I some what agree but we were clearly a pass first team..70/30..even before the RB's started getting hurt...and none of the RB's would start on any other team in the league so it's not like one guy was always getting the ball..it was always a RBBC..so there was never really a rhythm with anyone anyways...none of them played long enough.

BroncoInferno
04-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Just to clarify... if you're arguing that injuries excuse the defense's ranking of 30th in the league, then it follows that you're arguing that Slowik should have had another year to prove himself. :P

You blamed the defense and ST for last season and said the offense was not a problem; I pointed out (correctly) that they weren't very good either. You then excused them because of injuries. I merely pointed out the inconsistency there, that you do not allow the defense the same excuse even though injuries were worse on that side of the ball. I think all three phases of the game needed serious improvement, from coaching to personnel. You are trying to give the offense a pass when their results were not very good (16th in point, 2nd worse in turnovers).

Blueflame
04-21-2009, 08:40 PM
I guess we had no receivers on this team last year? Cutler had all day back there almost every game too.

Our top receiver was Marshall, with 1265 yards...Royal right behind with nearly 1000 (980). But our top RB was Hillis with 343 yards on the ground and 179 receiving yards. Had Hillis started the season and been able to remain healthy (as Edge did for the Colts that year), we just might have won 13 games, too.

baja
04-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Remember I'm watching you TheDave......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/atron5k/pope.jpg

Bronco_Beerslug
04-21-2009, 08:41 PM
What? Nonchalant. How many QB lead block on a double reverse? Or put there shoulder down to take on a tackler? No really. Name me 5 QB's that do that. Or do I have to drag out St. Elways name.

This is the revisionist history I'm talking about. Look I'll talk about Cutler and cut him down. But what I won't do is lie and make $h!7 up.I'm talking about his lack of emotion during games and off the field unless you count when he heads for the bars (I heard he's pretty focused then). He screws up and acts like it's no big deal. No fire, no passion.

TheDave
04-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Our top receiver was Marshall, with 1265 yards...Royal right behind with nearly 1000 (980). But our top RB was Hillis with 343 yards on the ground and 179 receiving yards. Had Hillis started the season and been able to remain healthy (as Edge did for the Colts that year), we just might have won 13 games, too.

10 wins MAX... That ****ing defense would of figured out a way of screwing things up.

Bronco_Beerslug
04-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Our top receiver was Marshall, with 1265 yards...Royal right behind with nearly 1000 (980). But our top RB was Hillis with 343 yards on the ground and 179 receiving yards. Had Hillis started the season and been able to remain healthy (as Edge did for the Colts that year), we just might have won 13 games, too.So you hit the wrong keys when you brought our passing game? :)

Blueflame
04-21-2009, 08:44 PM
You blamed the defense and ST for last season and said the offense was not a problem; I pointed out (correctly) that they weren't very good either. You then excused them because of injuries. I merely pointed out the inconsistency there, that you do not allow the defense the same excuse even though injuries were worse on that side of the ball. I think all three phases of the game needed serious improvement, from coaching to personnel. You are trying to give the offense a pass when their results were not very good (16th in point, 2nd worse in turnovers).

The offense ranked 16th in points scored and 2nd in yards gained. The defense ranked 30th in points allowed and 29th in yards given up. You tell me where the primary problem was. The numbers don't lie.

Blueflame
04-21-2009, 08:45 PM
10 wins MAX... That ****ing defense would of figured out a way of screwing things up.

You're probably right. It's tough to win when the defense is giving up points on nearly every possession.

epicSocialism4tw
04-21-2009, 08:46 PM
This site is funny.

A week or so after the season, I posted an analysis of Cutler's performance...mainly of his mistakes. The same goobers who have decided to ardently defend everything McD or Orton at this point were equally confused to the point of voracity by my Cutler analysis.

Public opinion is founded in something akin to looking for a lightswitch in the dark.

TheDave
04-21-2009, 08:47 PM
You're probably right. It's tough to win when the defense is giving up points on nearly every possession.

I swear people have purposefully forgotten just how god awful our defense was...

baja
04-21-2009, 08:48 PM
I think the D was just a coach and 8 starters away.

BroncoInferno
04-21-2009, 08:49 PM
The offense ranked 16th in points scored and 2nd in yards gained. The defense ranked 30th in points allowed and 29th in yards given up. You tell me where the primary problem was. The numbers don't lie.

I agree that the defense was the worse problem. That does not, however, mean that the offense was not A problem. They were. 16th in scoring and 2nd worse in turnovers is not a good result. They need a lot of improvement, too.

TheDave
04-21-2009, 08:49 PM
I think the D was just a coach and 8 starters away.

Give or take... ;D

Blueflame
04-21-2009, 08:50 PM
So you hit the wrong keys when you brought our passing game? :)

None of our receivers performed at a "Marvin Harrison circa 1999" level... of course this is understandable because unlike Brandon Marshall, Marvin already had like 4 years of NFL experience by then.

But my point was that having so many (was it 7 or 8?) RBs on IR hinders any offense.

BroncoInferno
04-21-2009, 08:51 PM
This site is funny.

A week or so after the season, I posted an analysis of Cutler's performance...mainly of his mistakes. The same goobers who have decided to ardently defend everything McD or Orton at this point were equally confused to the point of voracity by my Cutler analysis.

Public opinion is founded in something akin to looking for a lightswitch in the dark.

I don't think anyone was confused by your Cutler analysis; they just didn't give a ****.

maher_tyler
04-21-2009, 08:51 PM

Not saying the D was even below average but it didn't help that the O was giving it right back after the other team just scored or turning it over in the redzone, which is a huge momentum killer...but its not like the D was forcing any TO's either i guess...

baja
04-21-2009, 08:55 PM
This site is funny.

I've often wondered how you tolerate us.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-21-2009, 08:56 PM
I'm talking about his lack of emotion during games and off the field unless you count when he heads for the bars (I heard he's pretty focused then). He screws up and acts like it's no big deal. No fire, no passion.

Oh you mean when he's not pumping his fists in the air when receiver make a big play. Or when he doesn't do that "air butt bump" on TDs.

You know he could be like the Great Plummer and gives the fans the "finger" after he was playing like crap for 3/4 of the miami game.

Or like the Brainiaic Griese that would hang his head after a missed 3rd down pass in the 2nd quarter.

Blueflame
04-21-2009, 08:59 PM
I agree that the defense was the worse problem. That does not, however, mean that the offense was not A problem. They were. 16th in scoring and 2nd worse in turnovers is not a good result. They need a lot of improvement, too.

The injuries were, imho, an excuse for an offensive unit that was gaining yardage. Not so much for a defense that was giving up more points than any defense except the Lions and Rams.... and more yards than any defense other than the Lions, Chiefs, and Seahawks.

You might notice that all of the other teams mentioned in this post are picking among the top 4 in the draft Saturday. We might have been right there with them if our offense hadn't been better than theirs.

maher_tyler
04-21-2009, 09:00 PM
Oh you mean when he's not pumping his fists in the air when receiver make a big play. Or when he doesn't do that "air butt bump" on TDs.

You know he could be like the Great Plummer and gives the fans the "finger" after he was playing like crap for 3/4 of the miami game.

Or like the Brainiaic Griese that would hang his head after a missed 3rd down pass in the 2nd quarter.

I think his point is that...you'd only see that when we were winning or during intros but when we were losing you wouldn't see him do much to get the troops rallied.

epicSocialism4tw
04-21-2009, 09:02 PM
I don't think anyone was confused by your Cutler analysis; they just didn't give a ****.

Ha!

Dude. Seriously.

If you hadnt yet proved to yourself that you have no idea what you are talking about, this post could do it for ya.

Blueflame
04-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Not saying the D was even below average but it didn't help that the O was giving it right back after the other team just scored or turning it over in the redzone, which is a huge momentum killer...but its not like the D was forcing any TO's either i guess...

The D was well below average. Again, in reverse order points given up: #32:Lions, #31:Rams, #30:Broncos. In yards allowed: #32:Lions, #31:Chiefs, #30:Seahawks, #29:Broncos.

BroncoInferno
04-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Ha!

Dude. Seriously.

If you hadnt yet proved to yourself that you have no idea what you are talking about, this post could do it for ya.

Actually, I've already got a couple of reps for that comment. Looks like there is some agreement.

BroncoInferno
04-21-2009, 09:09 PM
The injuries were, imho, an excuse for an offensive unit that was gaining yardage. Not so much for a defense that was giving up more points than any defense except the Lions and Rams.... and more yards than any defense other than the Lions, Chiefs, and Seahawks.

You might notice that all of the other teams mentioned in this post are picking among the top 4 in the draft Saturday. We might have been right there with them if our offense hadn't been better than theirs.

I am not arguing with you that the defense was not worse than the offense. What I take issue with is your insinuation that the offense was fine and didn't need serious improvement. That position is incorrect. The facts show a team that was 16th in scoring (the very definition of mediocrity) and committed 30 turnovers (terrible). There is a TON of improvement the offense needs to make.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-21-2009, 09:10 PM
I think his point is that...you'd only see that when we were winning or during intros but when we were losing you wouldn't see him do much to get the troops rallied.

Oh you mean like when he wasn't huddleing up with he's team mates during the Charges game and they were marching down the field taking the lead.

Or during the bears game 2 years ago where both the defense and special teams surrender 21 points in the second half on big plays alone. Then lead his team to a lead in the forth quarter only to see his defense surrender the last TD.

You don't have 6 forth quarter comebacks last year and 5 the year before by accident.

epicSocialism4tw
04-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Actually, I've already got a couple of reps for that comment. Looks like there is some agreement.

Yeah. What it means is that you still have not found your bearings.

But go ahead on, man. Live the dream. LOL

Blueflame
04-21-2009, 09:14 PM
I am not arguing with you that the defense was not worse than the offense. What I take issue with is your insinuation that the offense was fine and didn't need serious improvement. That position is incorrect. The facts show a team that was 16th in scoring (the very definition of mediocrity) and committed 30 turnovers (terrible). There is a TON of improvement the offense needs to make.

My argument is that IMHO, the offense would have been fine if we'd been able to keep a healthy RB. But we were unusually injury-riddled at that position and the 16th ranking in points reflects that, I think. Still only the Saints gained more yards than our Broncos did... and we beat them head-to-head.