BMarsh615
04-21-2009, 10:25 AM
McDaniels ailing, others to test Sanchez
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
POSTED: 04/21/2009 09:14:31 AM MDT
UPDATED: 04/21/2009 09:19:21 AM MDT

Mark Sanchez (Getty Images file photo)
Broncos coach Josh McDaniels fell ill in the middle of the night and could not make the trip this morning to Los Angeles where he had planned to work out University of Southern California quarterback Mark Sanchez.

The Broncos scrambled and had offensive coordinator Mike McCoy join general manager Brian Xanders for the trip.

McCoy and Xanders were to work out Sanchez this morning on the field at Sanchez' former high school, Mission Viejo.

McCoy and Xanders were to return to Denver later today.

The Broncos have two first-round selections, number 12 and 18 overall in the NFL draft that will be held Saturday.

Sanchez is projected as a top-10 pick.

McDaniels is expected to be at Broncos headquarters later today.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12190715?source=rss

SoDak Bronco
04-21-2009, 10:28 AM
I think this whole go see Sanchez is a smoke screen. Denver is not interested in Sanchez, they are doing this to cover a player they truely covet. Likely Tyson Jackson, or someother player. I also think he is totally healthy, he just didn't want to waste time evaluating a guy they aren't going to pick. I like how sneaky this guy is...hope we get the guys we are targeting.

NFLBRONCO
04-21-2009, 10:30 AM
I hope Denver doesn't trade up for anybody.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-21-2009, 10:32 AM
McLIAR duz it again! McHoodie showing the Cheatriot way! He's not even sick!

/rolleyes

ohiobronco2
04-21-2009, 10:33 AM
:). Great, now when we pick him he can't be held responsible (assuming he fails). "It's not my fault, I didn't even evaluate him." Somebody had to say it.

Pony Boy
04-21-2009, 10:35 AM
How sick is McDaniels?!Booya!

eddie mac
04-21-2009, 10:36 AM
I see the behavioural analysts are out in force again.

Smiling Assassin27
04-21-2009, 10:41 AM
I see the behavioural analysts are out in force again.

...and cyber medical doctors as well!

"open up and type 'ahh'..."

SoDak Bronco
04-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Do you really think he is sick? I doubt it. He just doesn't want to waste his time on a guy we aren't picking

SonOfLe-loLang
04-21-2009, 10:45 AM
...and cyber medical doctors as well!

"open up and type 'ahh'..."

"I shredded tendons in my wrist and i havent been able to even grip a fork since! How in the world will Brandon Marshall catch 100 balls in a season!"

Popps
04-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Anyone have video of him claiming he was sick? I'd like to look it over for left-leaning head patterns and eye-twitching.

crazyhorse
04-21-2009, 10:55 AM
I think this whole go see Sanchez is a smoke screen. Denver is not interested in Sanchez, they are doing this to cover a player they truely covet. Likely Tyson Jackson, or someother player. I also think he is totally healthy, he just didn't want to waste time evaluating a guy they aren't going to pick. I like how sneaky this guy is...hope we get the guys we are targeting.

Considering they would have to trade to get Sanchez, and the likelyhood Jackson will go late in the 1st or early in the second, I dont see the correlation between the two.

Hotrod
04-21-2009, 10:58 AM
I bet Sanchez feels like he cant trust McD now.

BigPlayShay
04-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Anyone have video of him claiming he was sick? I'd like to look it over for left-leaning head patterns and eye-twitching.

Obviously he has Strep, have you heard the guy clear his throat? It has to be bothering him.

Sassy
04-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Wasn't it his Birthday? ;D

Rohirrim
04-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Considering they would have to trade to get Sanchez, and the likelyhood Jackson will go late in the 1st or early in the second, I dont see the correlation between the two.

So, Crazy, the rumor going around now is that Snyder is going to trade up to get the #3 pick from KC so he can take Sanchez. (I'll be interested to see what that does to Jason Campbell's ability to keep his cool). That leaves KC with the #13 pick and whatever else that nutjob Snyder is willing to cough up. I guess in that case you guys get to enjoy watching Denver make the pick right in front of yours? :~ohyah!:

Rohirrim
04-21-2009, 11:00 AM
I bet Sanchez feels like he cant trust McD now.

LOL

He'll demand to be traded! Wait a minute...

footstepsfrom#27
04-21-2009, 11:02 AM
He needs to bring a note from his mom.

brncs_fan
04-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Fire him now!

How are we suppose to make an informed opinion about the future of our franchise without an answer to the most important questions like "what vegetable would you be?" and "Who is on your most listened to list on your iPod?"

crazyhorse
04-21-2009, 11:16 AM
So, Crazy, the rumor going around now is that Snyder is going to trade up to get the #3 pick from KC so he can take Sanchez. (I'll be interested to see what that does to Jason Campbell's ability to keep his cool). That leaves KC with the #13 pick and whatever else that nutjob Snyder is willing to cough up. I guess in that case you guys get to enjoy watching Denver make the pick right in front of yours? :~ohyah!:

There's enough players in th top 50 for everyone to get a good one. I dont care where Denver picks.

Rohirrim
04-21-2009, 11:17 AM
There's enough players in th top 50 for everyone to get a good one. I dont care where Denver picks.

So you like the idea of getting out of the three slot?

bronco militia
04-21-2009, 11:20 AM
hopefully sanchez got the text message

BMarsh615
04-21-2009, 11:31 AM
McLIAR duz it again! McHoodie showing the Cheatriot way! He's not even sick!

/rolleyes

LOL

azbroncfan
04-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Jackson will go late in the 1st or early in the second, I dont see the correlation between the two.

I don't see Jackson dropping out of the top 15 and at worst to SD. Late 1st or early second is crazy talk.

broncosteven
04-21-2009, 11:48 AM
McDaniels ailing

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels fell ill in the middle of the night and could not make the trip this morning to Los Angeles where he had planned to work out University of Southern California quarterback Mark Sanchez.

Lonnie Paxton was seen running up and down the halls of the PAUL BOWLEN CENTER FOR PAT BOWLENS EGO yelling "I'll take care of it"! while covered in McStalin's sick.

I hope this isn't a trend. I can't think of the last time I heard of a HC complaining about being sick. I am sure it happens but HC's never admit any sign of weakness.

Maybe he caught something while pretending to be a CB during workouts at their Mini-camp and trying to bat down balls...trying...

Gcver2ver3
04-21-2009, 11:58 AM
I hope Denver doesn't trade up for anybody.

personally i think we should consider moving up for Raji and maybe even Jackson if it looks like we need to...it'll prolly only cost us our 2nd 3rd round pick...

3-4 linemen are few and far between in this draft...i'm not sure we can afford to sit idly by as they get drafted before we pick...

broncosteven
04-21-2009, 12:06 PM
I hope McStalin gets lots of Momma Paxtons Chicken Soup in him before the draft this weekend.

Would suck if he couldn't make it.

gyldenlove
04-21-2009, 12:13 PM
It is all part of the Masterplan, Mcdaniels fearing that he might get sick over the draft weekend, decided to get sick now to get it over with so he can be fresh next weekend. This is of course quite a strange thing for Broncos fans as Shanahan just decided never to get sick and stuck with that.

Killericon
04-21-2009, 12:16 PM
I hope this isn't a trend. I can't think of the last time I heard of a HC complaining about being sick. I am sure it happens but HC's never admit any sign of weakness.

Maybe he caught something while pretending to be a CB during workouts at their Mini-camp and trying to bat down balls...trying...

There's two possibilities.
One: He really is sick. I don't recall any complaints about his work ethic in New England. Jumping to the negative conclusion about such things is kind of showing off your bias a little.
Two: He's not sick, and is deceiving everyone. Which, you know, is totally foreign to us here in Denver. Shanahan has shot from the hip about his draft day intentions for YEARS. :kiddingme

Los Broncos
04-21-2009, 12:25 PM
I'll bet he was out drinking the night before.

broncofan7
04-21-2009, 12:32 PM
After seeing our players up close and personal, particularly our QB's, I have a feeling that the rest of us with come down with the same thing that ails Coach MCD now.......

Beantown Bronco
04-21-2009, 12:35 PM
I'll bet he was out drinking the night before.

No doubt he was trying to go shot for shot with Orton. You don't mess with Kyle and his JD.

BroncoBuff
04-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Denver is not interested in Sanchez, they are doing this to cover a player they truely covet. Likely Tyson Jackson, or someother player. I also think he is totally healthy, he just didn't want to waste time evaluating a guy they aren't going to pick. I like how sneaky this guy is...hope we get the guys we are targeting.

Agreed ... a trip to L.A. would waste too much valuable time.

HEAV
04-21-2009, 12:36 PM
The week leading up to the draft is always fun. Teams meeting this guy,then feed media with interest in this guy, trade rumors, last minut free agent signings.

My feeliing is that the Patriot model stays place and DL and LB are taken with 12 & 18.

broncosteven
04-21-2009, 12:43 PM
There's two possibilities.
One: He really is sick. I don't recall any complaints about his work ethic in New England. Jumping to the negative conclusion about such things is kind of showing off your bias a little.
Two: He's not sick, and is deceiving everyone. Which, you know, is totally foreign to us here in Denver. Shanahan has shot from the hip about his draft day intentions for YEARS. :kiddingme

1) I am pissed at the blackhawks not sweeping the flamers.

2) I find it comical

3) I am having fun at his expense.

broncosteven
04-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Wasn't there a 15" penis infected with Aids floating around the PAUL BOWLEN CENTER FOR PAT BOWLEN'S EGO recently?

broncofan2438
04-21-2009, 01:34 PM

I agree, I dont think we are interested and why make the trip and a "this just in" for ESPN.....I hope we focus on defense and grab some great players. I heard McDaniels had a headache? Are you serious?

Man-Goblin
04-21-2009, 01:36 PM
McDaniels might be ill, but Biggie Smalls is still the illest.

TheDave
04-21-2009, 01:37 PM
FWIW... The thought of drafting sanchez makes a lot of us ill.

OABB
04-21-2009, 01:57 PM
any news on whether Matt Cassel was "sick too?"

did he say anything about it burning when he pees?

Kaylore
04-21-2009, 02:59 PM
FWIW... The thought of drafting sanchez makes a lot of us ill.

I actually like Sanchez. I think he's the best of the bunch. The problem is the class is week. If we had none of our targets left at 12 and he fell to us and we took him, I wouldn't complain. The thing I don't like is trading up for, well really anyone, but especially a QB who doesn't have much experience and who's draft stock is inflated because of a weak class.

NFLBRONCO
04-21-2009, 03:02 PM
I actually like Sanchez. I think he's the best of the bunch. The problem is the class is week. If we had none of our targets left at 12 and he fell to us and we took him, I wouldn't complain. The thing I don't like is trading up for, well really anyone, but especially a QB who doesn't have much experience and who's draft stock is inflated because of a weak class.

Denver has too many needs to trade up for Sanchez. If he's at 12 I'd totally understand us taking him esp with 18 pick as well.

kamakazi_kal
04-21-2009, 03:10 PM
How sick is McDaniels?!Booya!

So maybe McD is afraid of airplanes....... or he was drunk. :giggle:

TheDave
04-21-2009, 03:27 PM

I disagree, one of the reasons we hired McKidd is his ability to develop QB's. It's time for him to work his magic on Orton & Simms. I'm fine with a later round development type but we have WAY too many needs to go after a project like Sanchez @ #12.

There is just too much defensive talent in this draft to pretend there is no one available that would significantly upgrade our team.

Los Broncos
04-21-2009, 03:52 PM
No doubt he was trying to go shot for shot with Orton. You don't mess with Kyle and his JD.

Only a cock can come between him and the Jack.

crazyhorse
04-21-2009, 04:15 PM
So you like the idea of getting out of the three slot?

Yes.

I'd take Curry at 3, but prefer to trade out.

crazyhorse
04-21-2009, 04:20 PM
I don't see Jackson dropping out of the top 15 and at worst to SD. Late 1st or early second is crazy talk.

What do I know? I thought he was projected later than that.

BoiseBluTurf
04-21-2009, 04:49 PM

I was thinking just the opposite... smoke screen yes... but a smoke screen to try to hide his interest in Sanchez. Hope not... I hope the Broncos go all Defense... QB class next year will be much stronger... If Dr. Frankenstein thinks he can build a QB... he has plenty of un-dead parts to work with between Simms and Orton.

Finger Roll
04-21-2009, 04:52 PM
I was thinking just the opposite... smoke screen yes... but a smoke screen to try to hide his interest in Sanchez. Hope not... I hope the Broncos go all Defense... QB class next year will be much stronger... If Dr. Frankenstein thinks he can build a QB... he has plenty of un-dead parts to work with between Simms and Orton.

I was thinking the same thing. Smoke screen that he didn't have any interest. Thought i was the only one who thought that

Tombstone RJ
04-21-2009, 05:23 PM

We can only hope your right...

titan
04-21-2009, 05:26 PM
On channel 4 sports Vic Lombardi says McDaniels missed the workout because of a "migrane", and that Xanders/?? met with Sanchez for FOUR hours.

BroncoBuff
04-21-2009, 05:28 PM
On channel 4 sports Vic Lombardi says McDaniels missed the workout because of a "migrane", and that Xanders/?? met with Sanchez for FOUR hours.

FOUR HOURS??

With Xanders, that sounds a lot like a contract negotiation ... the migraine could be a diversion to throw teams off.

I will be so ticked off if we use this pick on Sanchez ... :nono:

broncosteven
04-21-2009, 05:28 PM
I think Gene, McStalin, and I got some bad Tang.

Finger Roll
04-21-2009, 05:31 PM
I wouldn't mind trading up to number 8 to get him if he's still there but trading up to number 3 will cost too much. I do think Sanchez will be a very very good player though

broncosteven
04-21-2009, 05:35 PM

Great!

I get them pretty bad and have a regime that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Sometimes I end up in bed with an Icepack after trying every freaking med I have.

Good luck to McDaniels coping with Migraines and the 24 hour stress of rebuilding a once proud NFL francise.

I sure would hate to see this affect his decisions or how he handles the team.

elsid13
04-21-2009, 05:37 PM
What do I know? I thought he was projected later than that.

He seem to be gaining a lot of interests. Include a rumor that Chefs want at #3

Kaylore
04-21-2009, 05:51 PM
I disagree, one of the reasons we hired McKidd is his ability to develop QB's. It's time for him to work his magic on Orton & Simms. I'm fine with a later round development type but we have WAY too many needs to go after a project like Sanchez @ #12.

There is just too much defensive talent in this draft to pretend there is no one available that would significantly upgrade our team.

I generally agree, but for different reasons. I don't think McDaniels' coaching pedigree means he has to ignore improving the QB position just to prove "whatever" to fans who are mad about Cutler. I think you take the best player available and if at any round that's a QB and you think it's an upgrade over what we have than you take him.

Now that said, it is extremely unlikely Sanchez falls to us, and even if he does it's even more unlikely that there aren't other defensive options available at that spot.

Broncos123
04-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Just open up the room down the hall and dust off the lie detector.

crazyhorse
04-21-2009, 05:58 PM
He seem to be gaining a lot of interests. Include a rumor that Chefs want at #3

Personally, I think that interest is only there if we were to trade back. Picking him at 3 would be silly. there are several players at position of need for the Chiefs that are better players at 3.

elsid13
04-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Personally, I think that interest is only there if we were to trade back. Picking him at 3 would be silly. there are several players at position of need for the Chiefs that are better players at 3.

I don't disagree with you. But both NFL Channel and ESPiN are reporting The chefs really like Jackson and are willing to sign at #3 if the can not move back. We will see if that is true.

crazyhorse
04-21-2009, 06:55 PM
I don't disagree with you. But both NFL Channel and ESPiN are reporting The chefs really like Jackson and are willing to sign at #3 if the can not move back. We will see if that is true.

..and I'm sure they got it straight from Pioli.

You know as well as I do, that this is the week for misinformation. But if ESPN and the NFL channel are correct, that would be a poor move IMO. When I said that I assumed that thier interest was, "if they moved back", it was purely opinion on my part. I dont claim to be a draftnik of any sort. Many of my opinions are based from internet reports and some are based from various times of seeing a player play. But I in no way consider myself "up on the college scene".

Based on the players and thier rankings, Jackson would be a reach at #3.

TheDave
04-21-2009, 07:03 PM
I generally agree, but for different reasons. I don't think McDaniels' coaching pedigree means he has to ignore improving the QB position just to prove "whatever" to fans who are mad about Cutler. I think you take the best player available and if at any round that's a QB and you think it's an upgrade over what we have than you take him.

Now that said, it is extremely unlikely Sanchez falls to us, and even if he does it's even more unlikely that there aren't other defensive options available at that spot.

I'm not sure i understand your point... According to what I have read here and other places this kid is genuinely a good QB coach and his system is extremely QB friendly. This is no different than my feelings about shanahan and RB's. I didn't want him to spend a 1st on a RB because he was always able to produce with talent found in rounds 4-6.

Regardless of whether sanchez is sitting at 12 or not we need SERIOUS help at just about every defensive position. I would rather him pick any of those positions and play to his strengths by developing Simms and/or Orton.

This has nothing to do with Cutler...

kamakazi_kal
04-21-2009, 07:06 PM
FOUR HOURS??

With Xanders, that sounds a lot like a contract negotiation ... the migraine could be a diversion to throw teams off.

I will be so ticked off if we use this pick on Sanchez ... :nono:

contract negotiations or ....... learning on the job .....

Hercules Rockefeller
04-21-2009, 07:20 PM
contract negotiations or ....... learning on the job .....

Breaking down his film, breaking down film of the Broncos' offense, a chalkboard session where he was posed with hypotheticals, and a workout where he threw 80-90 balls.

Dedhed
04-21-2009, 07:23 PM

For the record, you haven't heard of McDaniels complaining about being sick, either.

BroncoBuff
04-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Breaking down his film, breaking down film of the Broncos' offense, a chalkboard session where he was posed with hypotheticals, and a workout where he threw 80-90 balls.

By Xanders? I think of him as a paper guy, a salary cap guy ... not a football guy, at least not a specific offense break-down guy, especially this new offense.

I dunno ... FOUR hours?

Methinks this is a smokescreen. We have two good young quarterbacks after all, and a defense that stinks.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-21-2009, 07:26 PM
McCoy was there too.

and that was what Tanky McTank, errr Shelly Smith reported on the draft special on ESPN at the top of the hour.

BroncoBuff
04-21-2009, 07:29 PM
and that was what Tanky McTank, errr Shelly Smith reported on the draft special on ESPN at the top of the hour.
Meee-OW!

broncosteven
04-21-2009, 07:41 PM
For the record, you haven't heard of McDaniels complaining about being sick, either.

I would have rather he said he just couldn't make it than make up a story about having a migraine.

He wasn't trying to get out of sex, just a workout.

If he is just playing games and going out of his way trying to outfox other teams with cloak and dagger moves then I am really not going to find any thing redeeming about his character which I already hold as suspect.

crazyhorse
04-21-2009, 08:19 PM
What would be the point of acting like you might move up if you had no intention of doing so? Or if you weren't at least considering it?

I guess I'm just not very diabolical. But I dont get the benifit of traveling across country to "trick" others into thinking you might move up.

Can someone help me out here?

TheDave
04-21-2009, 08:23 PM
What would be the point of acting like you might move up if you had no intention of doing so? Or if you weren't at least considering it?

I guess I'm just not very diabolical. But I dont get the benifit of traveling across country to "trick" others into thinking you might move up.

Can someone help me out here?

I have no idea... My hope is that they are just doing their homework incase he drops to 12 and they have the option.

Sassy
04-21-2009, 08:24 PM
Sanchez gives a good interview...and he's hot ;D