PDA

View Full Version : Defense is the focus in the Broncos Draft

Sassy
04-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Defense Broncos’ focus in McDaniels’ first draft
By ARNIE STAPLETON, AP Sports Writer
6 hours, 3 minutes ago

Buzz up!5 votes PrintENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP)—Josh McDaniels has serious work to do to win back some of the Denver Broncos fans who aren’t happy he chased off Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler just three months into the job.

McDaniels can begin to earn their trust this weekend by turning the bevy of draft picks he garnered into gold in the NFL draft.

The Bears sent the Broncos a starting quarterback in Kyle Orton and two first-round draft picks, one this year and one next, and a third-rounder for Cutler and a fifth-round draft pick. So the Broncos own five of the first 84 draft picks, including the 12th and 18th in the first round Saturday.

“First of all, it gives us a lot of flexibility,” McDaniels said. “The more you can have the better off you are, because if you need to maneuver to try to get some players you really feel good about, you have the ammunition to go do some of those things.”

ADVERTISEMENT

McDaniels suggested the Broncos will take a quarterback in the draft— although not necessarily one of the big names early on—to compete with Orton and free agent Chris Simms for the starting job.

“We’ve evaluated all the quarterbacks in the draft and there’s more than a handful that are pretty good players that would be able to fit in and play well in this league and for our team,” said McDaniels, who earned his stripes coaching the offense in New England, where Tom Brady (sixth) and Matt Cassel (seventh) were drafted late.

McDaniels said he won’t go after a guy who will just hold a clipboard and watch Orton and Simms duke it out for snaps.

“You certainly would love to have a third quarterback that could be competitive,” McDaniels said. “That’s the big thing is we’re not just looking to bring players in here at positions just to fill a spot. If the guy can compete and actually have a chance to win a role on our team, then we’re all for it.”

After a tumultuous start to his tenure, McDaniels, who turns 33 this week, will get to show what he learned from Bill Belichick in New England.

He’ll be running the draft along with rookie GM Brian Xanders, 37, who replaced Jim and Jeff Goodman, architects of several solid drafts, in the second big front-office shakeup of the offseason.

They’ll try to refurbish their front seven, especially the line, where there’s a decent pool of hybrid defensive ends who can fit into the Broncos’ new 3-4 scheme, but also a thin crop of nose tackles.

“We’re definitely interested in adding those kinds of players to our roster,” McDaniels said.

He said he feels like he has a jump-start in that regard with the return to health of defensive tackle Carlton Powell, a fifth-rounder from Mike Shanahan’s final draft last year who tore an Achilles’ tendon during offseason conditioning and sat out his rookie year.

McDaniels also re-signed defensive tackle Kenny Peterson and signed free agent defensive tackles Darrell Reid and J’Vonne Parker.

With the extra minicamp allowed for new coaching staffs, McDaniels held his a week before the draft, and some of what he saw will shape the Broncos’ approach next weekend.

“We’ve got a lot of film now to watch. We’ve learned some things about some people,” McDaniels said Sunday. “It’s hard to learn a lot when you’re not out here hitting and really doing those kinds of things, particularly up front.”

McDaniels is hoping he won’t have to select a wide receiver too early.

Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Marshall, who is recovering from hip surgery, is awaiting word from commissioner Roger Goodell on possible punishment for ending up on the police blotter again. He got into a fight with his fiance in Atlanta last month. Although charges were dropped, the NFL metes out its discipline separate from the nation’s judicial process, and a conviction isn’t a prerequisite for a suspension.

Marshall sat out last season’s opener after seven police-related incidents with his former girlfriend. He talked Goodell into reducing his original suspension of three games by promising to keep his nose clean and working with kids in the community.

The Broncos feel that no predraft news from the commissioner’s office on this matter is good news. The thinking is that if Marshall were going to get a lengthy suspension, they’d learn about it this week so they could draft accordingly.

On his way out the door, Shanahan practically begged his successor to keep the league’s No. 2 offense intact. That obviously didn’t happen with Cutler’s departure, but beyond that, McDaniels didn’t see his offense in the same light.

While Cutler & Co. were great between the 20s, they were middle of the road in points scored last year, and McDaniels brought in three free agents to compete with holdover running backs Ryan Torain, Peyton Hillis and Selvin Young, all coming off injuries.

Although the 2008 defense ranked at or near the bottom in every major category, the Broncos have signed eight free agents on that side of the ball. So McDaniels just might use some of his 10 draft picks this weekend on surprising areas.

“I’ve said from the first moment I landed in Denver that our goal was to improve the team,” McDaniels said. “We have significant improvement to do on both sides of the ball and in the kicking game.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-broncosdraft&prov=ap&type=lgns

Los Broncos
04-20-2009, 08:25 PM
I sure hope so.

azbroncfan
04-20-2009, 08:28 PM
I bet Cushing is a Bronco since New England loved him last year and hoped he came out early.

mattob14
04-20-2009, 08:29 PM
I bet Cushing is a Bronco since New England loved him last year and hoped he came out early.

Man, I hope you're wrong, but I just have this sinking feeling he's the pick at #12.

Br0nc0Buster
04-20-2009, 08:37 PM
I like how he calls special teams "the kicking game"

Paladin
04-20-2009, 08:57 PM
"........Denver Broncos fans who aren’t happy he chased off Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler just three months into the job." Lost me right there. Stupid, and it tells me the article has not a thing new in it....

I was right.

BroncoBuff
04-20-2009, 09:04 PM
“First of all, it gives us a lot of flexibility,” McDaniels said. “The more you can have the better off you are, because if you need to maneuver to try to get some players you really feel good about, you have the ammunition to go do some of those things.”

Sounds like somebody's gonna make a move up .....

PLEASE make it for Tyson Jackson :pray:

RMT
04-20-2009, 09:46 PM
"He’ll be running the draft along with rookie GM Brian Xanders, 37, who replaced Jim and Jeff Goodman, architects of several solid drafts, in the second big front-office shakeup of the offseason."

"architects of several solid drafts" - with which team? the Broncos haven't had "several solid drafts" - far from it.

BroncoBuff
04-20-2009, 09:54 PM
"He’ll be running the draft along with rookie GM Brian Xanders, 37, who replaced Jim and Jeff Goodman, architects of several solid drafts, in the second big front-office shakeup of the offseason."

"architects of several solid drafts" - with which team? the Broncos haven't had "several solid drafts" - far from it.

Disagree ... let's review:

2006 - One of the best offensive drafts the league has seen in many, many years. 5 of the 7 players drafted are now solid starters, and another - Domenik Hixon - played a big role in the Giants Super Bowl run.

2007 - Just four picks, and the first two look very shaky. But the 3rd and 4th picks will probably be Broncos starters for many years to come. Plus it was a pretty good CFA year, Selvin Young and Tyler Polumus both made the team and contributed.

2008 - Looks like another amazing draft. Not just Clady and Royal and Hillis, but perhaps as many as FIVE future starters on defense. JMFW might be a longshot to start, but Larsen, Woodyard, Powell and Barrett could all become starters (Woodyard wasn't drafted, but Goodman scouts the CFAs, too.)

SonOfLe-loLang
04-20-2009, 09:57 PM
The more and more i think of it, i really hope its Jackson and 12, Maualuga at 18

baja
04-20-2009, 10:06 PM
The more and more i think of it, i really hope its Jackson and 12, Maualuga at 18

Current speculation says Jackson will be gone by 12.

maher_tyler
04-20-2009, 10:07 PM
No matter what we do...it'll be interesting...i just hope we don't go QB early.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-20-2009, 10:14 PM

I guess we shall see. Fine, if Jackson goes before...perhaps it opens up Raji. Gimme Raji and Rey

TheDave

I think we are going to need to leap frog GB and San Fran to gaurantee we get him...

SonOfLe-loLang

2006 - One of the best offensive drafts the league has seen in many, many years. 5 of the 7 players drafted are now solid starters, and another - Domenik Hixon - played a big role in the Giants Super Bowl run.

2007 - Just four picks, and the first two look very shaky. But the 3rd and 4th picks will probably be Broncos starters for many years to come. Plus it was a pretty good CFA year, Selvin Young and Tyler Polumus both made the team and contributed.

2008 - Looks like another amazing draft. Not just Clady and Royal and Hillis, but perhaps as many as FIVE future starters on defense. JMFW might be a longshot to start, but Larsen, Woodyard, Powell and Barrett could all become starters (Woodyard wasn't drafted, but Goodman scouts the CFAs, too.)

Polumbus made the team last year, not in 07...i think?

BroncoBuff
04-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Polumbus made the team last year, not in 07...i think?

Yeah, I guess you're right.

Still .... Jim Goodman drafted two of the Broncos very best draft classes ever.

BABronco
04-20-2009, 10:30 PM

Agreed! I hope he isn't missed much. But I highly doubt it.

BroncoDoug
04-20-2009, 10:33 PM

well two still doesn't equal several

BroncoBuff
04-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Agreed! I hope he isn't missed much. But I highly doubt it.

You just don't know how these guys are gonna do ... ??? ... but it'll be borderline impossible to manage an '06 or '08 quality draft. Don't hold your breath on that.

Josh does have one big advantage going in: Our current roster is so lop-sided in talent, offense-to-defense, that multiple defensive picks mean a greater likelihood we'll yield some real contributors.

Plus, we have FIVE intriguing second-year men on defense - Larsen, Barrett, Powell, JMFW, Woodyard.

There IS light at the end of this tunnel....

NFLBRONCO
04-20-2009, 10:38 PM
I just found the undisputed best draft of the past decade: In 2007, the New England Patriots traded their second- round pick to Miami for Wes Welker and their first fourth- round selection to the Oakland Raiders for Randy Moss.

Go ahead, scour the draft picks of every year, for every team. Good luck finding a draft in which a team got the likes of Welker and Moss with back-to-back picks — neither of which were plucked from the first round.

Don't be surprised if new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, New England's offensive coordinator in 2007, keeps the Welker-Moss heist in mind as he enters this draft with extra picks in the first and third rounds.

BroncoBuff
04-20-2009, 10:45 PM
I just found the undisputed best draft of the past decade: In 2007, the New England Patriots traded their second- round pick to Miami for Wes Welker and their first fourth- round selection to the Oakland Raiders for Randy Moss.

Go ahead, scour the draft picks of every year, for every team. Good luck finding a draft in which a team got the likes of Welker and Moss with back-to-back picks — neither of which were plucked from the first round.

Don't be surprised if new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, New England's offensive coordinator in 2007, keeps the Welker-Moss heist in mind as he enters this draft with extra picks in the first and third rounds.

You make a good point there, but Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler are a better duo (although Cutler was a 1st rounder). Plus Kuper, Hixon, Dumervil and Scheffler ... 2006 was an amazing draft haul.

Show me a draft where ALL SEVEN players are still in the league 3 years later, and FIVE ARE STARTERS ... that is just amazing, just amazing. The rate for draftees making a team just their FIRST year is maybe 60%, and much much lower than that three years in.

NFLBRONCO
04-20-2009, 11:20 PM
You make a good point there, but Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler are a better duo (although Cutler was a 1st rounder). Plus Kuper, Hixon, Dumervil and Scheffler ... 2006 was an amazing draft haul.

Show me a draft where ALL SEVEN players are still in the league 3 years later, and FIVE ARE STARTERS ... that is just amazing, just amazing. The rate for draftees making a team just their FIRST year is maybe 60%, and much much lower than that three years in.

BB I agree with what you said, above. I just posted this to remind us fans the route McD might take this weekend picks for vets.

BroncoMan4ever
04-20-2009, 11:23 PM

Jackson and Matthews. i am not high at all on Maualuga

baja
04-20-2009, 11:29 PM
I think we are going to need to leap frog GB and San Fran to gaurantee we get him...

I don't want to trade up for the same reason you don't want to trade a pick now for picks next year, too many holes. BTW you don't see a conflict in your thinking here given your position is fill all holes possible this year?

listopencil
04-20-2009, 11:32 PM
God, what a bull**** article. This is what he said about the extra draft picks:

"First of all, it gives us a lot of flexibility,” McDaniels said. “The more you can have the better off you are, because if you need to maneuver to try to get some players you really feel good about, you have the ammunition to go do some of those things.

...and the QB's:

"We’ve evaluated all the quarterbacks in the draft and there’s more than a handful that are pretty good players that would be able to fit in and play well in this league and for our team,” said McDaniels, who earned his stripes coaching the offense in New England, where Tom Brady (sixth) and Matt Cassel (seventh) were drafted late.

"You certainly would love to have a third quarterback that could be competitive,” McDaniels said. “That’s the big thing is we’re not just looking to bring players in here at positions just to fill a spot. If the guy can compete and actually have a chance to win a role on our team, then we’re all for it.”

Then there are a few generic quotes. Where are the quotes that show that the Broncos are focusing on Defense?

baja
04-20-2009, 11:35 PM
well two still doesn't equal several

They were only in power for 3 years so that is 2 out of 3 isn't bad.

watermock
04-20-2009, 11:43 PM
We’ve evaluated all the quarterbacks in the draft and there’s more than a handful that are pretty good players that would be able to fit in and play well in this league and for our team,” said McDaniels, who earned his stripes coaching the offense in New England, where Tom Brady (sixth) and Matt Cassel (seventh) were drafted late.

That means Mcdummy will try to make chicken salad out of chicken crap, and he doen't like either of our QB's long term.

Josh seems much more interested in the offense.

NFLBRONCO
04-21-2009, 01:08 AM
How about trading #48 and #84 for #33.

cutthemdown
04-21-2009, 01:20 AM

Miami has no good WR right now, why did they trade Welker again? Did parcells not like his size or what?

cutthemdown
04-21-2009, 01:23 AM
God, what a bull**** article. This is what he said about the extra draft picks:

"First of all, it gives us a lot of flexibility,” McDaniels said. “The more you can have the better off you are, because if you need to maneuver to try to get some players you really feel good about, you have the ammunition to go do some of those things.

...and the QB's:

"We’ve evaluated all the quarterbacks in the draft and there’s more than a handful that are pretty good players that would be able to fit in and play well in this league and for our team,” said McDaniels, who earned his stripes coaching the offense in New England, where Tom Brady (sixth) and Matt Cassel (seventh) were drafted late.

"You certainly would love to have a third quarterback that could be competitive,” McDaniels said. “That’s the big thing is we’re not just looking to bring players in here at positions just to fill a spot. If the guy can compete and actually have a chance to win a role on our team, then we’re all for it.”

Then there are a few generic quotes. Where are the quotes that show that the Broncos are focusing on Defense?

He talked about wanting to add to the front seven, drafting a QB but maybe not early, probably no WR. I think the focus on defense part is pretty obvious but it may not be all 10 picks like some people want.

One pick in first round may be an offensive player you never know. But you can still take a ton of defense, and I think it's pretty obvious Broncos will add some size to the Dend spot, and to the inside linebacker spot.

TheChamp24
04-21-2009, 01:57 AM

Honestly, I'd be for this. I like the value the early 2nd/late first has for us and just in case, it would ensure us Brace if we are really high on him or maybe someone who falls.

Question, if Brandon Pettigrew falls out of round 1, do we look at taking him and dump Graham?

footstepsfrom#27
04-21-2009, 02:12 AM
Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Marshall, who is recovering from hip surgery, is awaiting word from commissioner Roger Goodell on possible punishment for ending up on the police blotter again. He got into a fight with his fiance in Atlanta last month. Although charges were dropped, the NFL metes out its discipline separate from the nation’s judicial process, and a conviction isn’t a prerequisite for a suspension.

Marshall sat out last season’s opener after seven police-related incidents with his former girlfriend. He talked Goodell into reducing his original suspension of three games by promising to keep his nose clean and working with kids in the community.
What dumbass suggested this guy work with kids?

Broncoman13
04-21-2009, 05:39 AM

That would be great. I would prefer Laurinaitis, but Maualuga will be good as well.

What about Raji at 12 and Jenkins at 18 and then use some of that "ammunition" to move up to the 33-35 area for Laurinaitis?!? Talk about a dream scenario. I'd forgive McD for eating small children and giving away sugar free candy on Halloween if we got that draft!

Broncoman13
04-21-2009, 05:47 AM
Honestly, I'd be for this. I like the value the early 2nd/late first has for us and just in case, it would ensure us Brace if we are really high on him or maybe someone who falls.

Question, if Brandon Pettigrew falls out of round 1, do we look at taking him and dump Graham?

NOPE! Daniel Graham is a leader. He is a guy that rallies the troops and motivates his teammates to play at a higher level. That leadership is not easily replaced, certainly not by a rookie. In fact, the only rookies I see with that type of leadership in this entire class are Mark Sanchez, James Laurinaitis, and Aaron Curry. And oh boy would I take any one of those three!!!

As for the trading #48 and #84 for #33... I haven't looked at the value chart so I don't know if it's close, but I'd take that in a heartbeat. And forget Pettigrew at that spot, you're looking a guy that has dropped some that shouldn't. Laurinaitis would be my first choice there. But, I have a feeling McD will be looking for a CB fairly early. Darrius Butler, Vontae Davis, Alphonso Smith type player at #33 would be a nice addition. I'd also look for a guy like Moreno who may fall some and would be an outstanding pick in the top of round 2.

Broncoman13
04-21-2009, 05:51 AM
He talked about wanting to add to the front seven, drafting a QB but maybe not early, probably no WR. I think the focus on defense part is pretty obvious but it may not be all 10 picks like some people want.

One pick in first round may be an offensive player you never know. But you can still take a ton of defense, and I think it's pretty obvious Broncos will add some size to the Dend spot, and to the inside linebacker spot.

Exactly how I see it unfolding. I like Laurinaitis, Maualuga, and Brinkley for the girth in the middle. For the big nasties, I'd prefer Raji first and if not then Taylor, Scott, Prior on the second day. In fact, even if we were to draft Raji at #12, I'd like to get another DT on the 2nd day.

As for the offensive player, if Maclin falls into his hands I don't see how McD would pass on him. I don't think he'll take him at #12, but at #18 I think he would. Smarts, instincts, and a phenomenal athlete... yeah, Maclin would be a perfect fit for McD.

Broncoman13
04-21-2009, 06:04 AM

We would actually be giving 10 points in that deal according to the draft pick matrix in the draft forum.

I wonder if #48 and Scheff is an option? Not that I want Scheff to go, but it seems like many feel that is a foregone conclusion at this point anyhow.

Traveler
04-21-2009, 06:35 AM
What has Jackson moving up the drafts boards? Or is KC or another team trying to bluff the new FO?

Rohirrim
04-21-2009, 06:50 AM
Now SI is saying that Snyder will do what it takes to trade up to the three spot for Sanchez and Pioli desperately wants out of that spot. The Skins tried Sanchez out and then the GM, coaches and Snyder took him out to dinner. The Seahawks also want Sanchez at four. The idea that he would be there at 12 is now ridiculous history. Interesting that Jason Smith and Stafford have the same agent. The Lions can shade their pick til the last minute.

footstepsfrom#27
04-21-2009, 07:08 AM
Now SI is saying that Snyder will do what it takes to trade up to the three spot for Sanchez and Pioli desperately wants out of that spot. The Skins tried Sanchez out and then the GM, coaches and Snyder took him out to dinner. The Seahawks also want Sanchez at four. The idea that he would be there at 12 is now ridiculous history. Interesting that Jason Smith and Stafford have the same agent. The Lions can shade their pick til the last minute.
According to ESPN last night Sanchez is in Denver today to work out for the Broncos. ROFL!

Rohirrim
04-21-2009, 08:24 AM
According to ESPN last night Sanchez is in Denver today to work out for the Broncos. ROFL!

I thought there were no more visits or workouts allowed after last Friday? ???

TheDave
04-21-2009, 08:28 AM
I don't want to trade up for the same reason you don't want to trade a pick now for picks next year, too many holes. BTW you don't see a conflict in your thinking here given your position is fill all holes possible this year?

I'm not suggesting that we do it... I'm just saying that if the Broncos want him, IMO they will have to get ahead of GB and San Fran.

But who knows... this is the most unpredictable top 10 I have ever seen.

Drek
04-21-2009, 08:55 AM

Why do the Goodman's get so much credit for the '06 draft? Sundquist was still the GM then.

Hell, he was still the GM in '07, but Goodman had moved into a more prominent VP role.

The only draft where they had anything close to GM level input was in '08.

TheReverend
04-21-2009, 09:25 AM
Why do the Goodman's get so much credit for the '06 draft? Sundquist was still the GM then.

Hell, he was still the GM in '07, but Goodman had moved into a more prominent VP role.

"Jim Goodman, Jeff Goodman and Brian Xanders. Jim (Goodman) is the VP of football operations and is a very good friend. He has done a great job the last few drafts. He gets all the credit for those drafts. He has done and unbelievable job."

-Mike Shanahan

http://broncotalk.net/2008/12/mike-shanahan-press-conference-transcript-2/

Drek
04-21-2009, 09:45 AM
"Jim Goodman, Jeff Goodman and Brian Xanders. Jim (Goodman) is the VP of football operations and is a very good friend. He has done a great job the last few drafts. He gets all the credit for those drafts. He has done and unbelievable job."

-Mike Shanahan

http://broncotalk.net/2008/12/mike-shanahan-press-conference-transcript-2/

Thats great, Shanahan wanted to give props to the guys still with the organization on his way out.

But I bet if you ask Sundquist who had more pull in the '06 draft, himself or Jim Goodman, you'd get someone painting a very different picture.

TheReverend
04-21-2009, 09:52 AM
Thats great, Shanahan wanted to give props to the guys still with the organization on his way out.

But I bet if you ask Sundquist who had more pull in the '06 draft, himself or Jim Goodman, you'd get someone painting a very different picture.

You're right. He was obviously lying and had good reason to on the way out.

socalorado
04-21-2009, 09:59 AM

NAh. Your just wrong....again.;D

USMCBladerunner
04-21-2009, 10:02 AM

you are right, but the Broncos are working out Sanchez...in California

TonyR
04-21-2009, 10:08 AM
you are right, but the Broncos are working out Sanchez...in California

Correct.

Broncos will workout QB Sanchez in Los Angeles
Posted: Draft | Steve Wyche | Tags: 2009 NFL Draft, Denver Broncos, Kyle Orton, Mark Sanchez

The Broncos say they like newly acquired quarterback Kyle Orton, but members of the coaching staff are flying to Los Angeles Tuesday to put USC quarterback Mark Sanchez through a private workout — five days before the draft. Sanchez is regarded among the top two quarterbacks in the draft, along with Georgia’s Matthew Stafford.

Stafford is expected to be selected by Detroit with the first overall pick but even if he is not, the Broncos could favor Sanchez, whose stock, based on recent conversations, could make him a top-five draft pick. The Broncos have the No. 12 and No. 18 overall picks and could use one of those to move up into the front end of the draft, where they likely would find some takers who want to move back, for economic and player value reasons.

– Steve Wyche

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/20/broncos-will-workout-qb-sanchez-in-los-angeles/

Rohirrim
04-21-2009, 10:19 AM
The big rumor flying around now is that Snyder will trade up to #3 with Paoli and take Sanchez before Seattle gets a shot at him. If that's true, the Broncos are wasting their time in Cal. I highly doubt Paoli would make any deal that would improve the Broncos which means they'd have to jump to #2 with the Rams. That would be uber-nutz.

baja
04-21-2009, 10:26 AM

Why are you arguing with god?

penguintheory
04-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Rey Rey FTW

baja
04-21-2009, 10:29 AM
The big rumor flying around now is that Snyder will trade up to #3 with Paoli and take Sanchez before Seattle gets a shot at him. If that's true, the Broncos are wasting their time in Cal. I highly doubt Paoli would make any deal that would improve the Broncos which means they'd have to jump to #2 with the Rams. That would be uber-nutz.

Say that happens wanta bet we take KCs guy at 12, they will get Washington's pick at 13 and we both need D help big time.

Drek
04-21-2009, 10:35 AM

McDaniels isn't even going to work Sanchez out himself.

Sounds like smokescreen to me. Get KC to trade with Washington and we'll probably have Tyson Jackson or BJ Raji (one of the two) sitting in our laps right in front of KC.

BroncoBuff
04-21-2009, 10:48 AM

-Mike Shanahan

Ba-ZING!

Sorry Drek, but that was a zinger.

BroncoBuff
04-21-2009, 10:53 AM
NAh. Your just wrong....again.;D

Dude, one little zinger takes nothing away from Drek's excellence as a poster.

For my money, Drek is the best poster on this board for football content.

Besides, it's just his opinion Goodman has recieved too much credit, that's perfectly valid. In fact, I don't credit Goodman for the 1st-rounders, Cutler, Moss, Clady. I'm thinking Mike made the first-round picks himself. Besides, we traded up for Cutler and Moss, I doubt Goodman ever had that kinda juice.

Drek
04-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Ba-ZING!

Sorry Drek, but that was a zinger.

How?

What was Shanahan going to say? "man, I bet the Broncos wish they still had an experienced GM like Sundquist around now that Bowlen fired me. Too bad I fired his ass because he disagreed with me on how to handle the Plummer/Cutler changeover. Suckers!"

Shanahan put the Goodman's into their positions of power after ousting the guy who was supposed to be his #2 for the '06 and '07 drafts. They were his people. This is the same guy who said Bob Slowik shouldn't be blamed for how much our defense sucked last year.

Shanahan has pretty close to zero credibility when talking about his own organizational hierarchy. It was a nepotistic charade orchestrated entirely by Shanahan through his iron grip on the organization.

TheReverend
04-21-2009, 12:53 PM
How?

What was Shanahan going to say? "man, I bet the Broncos wish they still had an experienced GM like Sundquist around now that Bowlen fired me. Too bad I fired his ass because he disagreed with me on how to handle the Plummer/Cutler changeover. Suckers!"

Shanahan put the Goodman's into their positions of power after ousting the guy who was supposed to be his #2 for the '06 and '07 drafts. They were his people. This is the same guy who said Bob Slowik shouldn't be blamed for how much our defense sucked last year.

Shanahan has pretty close to zero credibility when talking about his own organizational hierarchy. It was a nepotistic charade orchestrated entirely by Shanahan through his iron grip on the organization.

How about "nothing" for starters? It was his firing press conference with extremely limited time. He went out of his way to ensure that he didn't receive any credit for those drafts and that the person that deserved it got it. So much for that "iron grip"...

broncosteven
04-21-2009, 01:01 PM
I don't care who they get as long as they are getting the guys they targeted and not settleing for the best available player.

Get DL, S, DL, HB?, DL, C, FG very late, LB, DL or close and I will be happy.

The front 3 need to be able to penetrate the pocket and keep QB's out of rythm and stop the run.

I don't care if they move up to get their DL target, just don't blow picks on another QB please.

Drek
04-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Dude, one little zinger takes nothing away from Drek's excellence as a poster.

For my money, Drek is the best poster on this board for football content.
I'd honestly disagree. I listen to a lot of different opinions and sources with inside knowledge and try to put pieces together. My actual X's and O's knowledge is blown apart by guys like Med, Slap (when he actually posted here) and probably a half dozen or more other posters.

I just try to see the common threads that bind what info we fans get. Of course that gets filtered through my own "half glass full" perception of things because I love the Broncos, but at least I'm not trying to say that half full glass is really overflowing, or bone dry.

Besides, it's just his opinion Goodman has recieved too much credit, that's perfectly valid. In fact, I don't credit Goodman for the 1st-rounders, Cutler, Moss, Clady. I'm thinking Mike made the first-round picks himself. Besides, we traded up for Cutler and Moss, I doubt Goodman ever had that kinda juice.
I think Goodman gets too much credit as the 100% orchestrator of our drafts, yes, like he was somehow making a majority of these picks. What he doesn't get enough credit for though is running the scouting department, what his job has primarily been through this run of quality drafting. But along those lines, most of those same scouts are still in place. We haven't jettisoned the entire front office, or even close to it.

What Goodman did well was take the scouting reports, parse out the unavoidable hyperbole and biases, and get the prospects assembled in a legitimate order of preference. He then did a good job putting that in perspective to what the rest of the league was seeing.

That's why the '08 draft was highlighted by the Broncos taking OT and WR at the very beginning of those positional runs, and walking away with arguably the two best in those groups. Shanahan probably still called the shot on who they took, but it was the insight into how the rest of the league saw things provided by Goodman that made it all work.

I don't think we're doomed to failure now that we've lost the Goodmans. Shanahan was the decider and he had certain strengths and weaknesses our FO needed to accommodate. Jim Goodman did a great job at that for him. Now McDaniels is calling the shots as it pertains to football personnel, and he will require different accommodations to be successful. Unlike Shanahan he needs to find that comfort zone almost out of the gate, but the assumption that the Goodmans would've been a perfect compliment to him doesn't strike me as very accurate. He needs an FO tailored to his own strengths and weaknesses as a talent evaluator.

gyldenlove
04-21-2009, 01:41 PM

ESPN reported it, so you have to accept that the accuracy of the report is comparable to that of a taepodong 2 missile.

gyldenlove
04-21-2009, 01:51 PM
I'd honestly disagree. I listen to a lot of different opinions and sources with inside knowledge and try to put pieces together. My actual X's and O's knowledge is blown apart by guys like Med, Slap (when he actually posted here) and probably a half dozen or more other posters.

I just try to see the common threads that bind what info we fans get. Of course that gets filtered through my own "half glass full" perception of things because I love the Broncos, but at least I'm not trying to say that half full glass is really overflowing, or bone dry.

I think Goodman gets too much credit as the 100% orchestrator of our drafts, yes, like he was somehow making a majority of these picks. What he doesn't get enough credit for though is running the scouting department, what his job has primarily been through this run of quality drafting. But along those lines, most of those same scouts are still in place. We haven't jettisoned the entire front office, or even close to it.

What Goodman did well was take the scouting reports, parse out the unavoidable hyperbole and biases, and get the prospects assembled in a legitimate order of preference. He then did a good job putting that in perspective to what the rest of the league was seeing.

That's why the '08 draft was highlighted by the Broncos taking OT and WR at the very beginning of those positional runs, and walking away with arguably the two best in those groups. Shanahan probably still called the shot on who they took, but it was the insight into how the rest of the league saw things provided by Goodman that made it all work.

I don't think we're doomed to failure now that we've lost the Goodmans. Shanahan was the decider and he had certain strengths and weaknesses our FO needed to accommodate. Jim Goodman did a great job at that for him. Now McDaniels is calling the shots as it pertains to football personnel, and he will require different accommodations to be successful. Unlike Shanahan he needs to find that comfort zone almost out of the gate, but the assumption that the Goodmans would've been a perfect compliment to him doesn't strike me as very accurate. He needs an FO tailored to his own strengths and weaknesses as a talent evaluator.

I don't think we are necesarily screwed in terms of drafting, but I am not particularly optimistic. Drafting is very hard at best, people who are normaly considered excellent drafters still get a fair bit of their picks wrong.

At the end of the day I believe the scouting reports the teams have are something like 90% identical across the board. The real skill is in evaluating the reports and determining what you want to emphasize. Mcdaniels and Xanders have between them never done that on the scale of the NFL entry draft, I am sure they have evaluated some players, but never the 300+ players at once that the draft requires. I also worry that most of their evaluation has been on NFL players whom you can see against players of similar talent level and players you have some idea how talented they are, in college that is rarely if ever the case.

My biggest concern is draft day itself, Mcdaniels and Xanders didn't seem to be prepared to deal with the ****-storm of rumor-mongering, interference by other teams front offices and bullcrap that gets shoveled around this league. On no day of the year is that worse than on draft day, and I am not sure they will handle that as well as could be hoped.

With all the picks we have, it would be a miracle if we do not just by luck end up with a player or two who can contribute at some point, but I doubt we can reproduce the results of 2006 or 2008.

I don't want to knock Mcdaniels and Xanders and say that they will definitely mess this up, because we don't know if they will, but I do think odds are against them.