PDA

View Full Version : Ourlads Combine Rankings

footstepsfrom#27
04-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Ourlads Draft Guide has probably the most in depth draft analysis of any of the publications avialable and have been around a long time. Draft geeks can buy the publication...there's still freebie info on their site.

Here's their ranking by player position based soley on combine performance. This isn't where they project players, just how they did at the combine.

http://www.ourlads.com/2009OSRratings.cfm

They have us taking Jackson and Maualuga...hopefully that's wrong.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Id be more than fine with those two in the first round.

Tombstone RJ
04-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Ourlads Draft Guide has probably the most in depth draft analysis of any of the publications avialable and have been around a long time. Draft geeks can buy the publication...there's still freebie info on their site.

Here's their ranking by player position based soley on combine performance. This isn't where they project players, just how they did at the combine.

The reason this is free is because it's kinda worthless information without game film on each player.

cmhargrove
04-20-2009, 12:17 PM

If you use the draft to improve your team, that draft would improve the team.

I'm not a big Maualuga fan, but I could be. He's not an NFL leader yet, but he could be. Maualuga could be a very, very solid player as a 3-4 ILB with a solid D-line. But, can we fix the middle of that line?

footstepsfrom#27
04-20-2009, 12:17 PM
The reason this is free is because it's kinda worthless information without game film on each player.
This should keep you busy:

http://www.ourlads.com/PhysAttributes_NFLSuccess.pdf

Tombstone RJ
04-20-2009, 12:27 PM
This should keep you busy:

http://www.ourlads.com/PhysAttributes_NFLSuccess.pdf

Yah, looks like certain things like speed can help determin, with decent accuracy, if a WR will be successful in the NFL.

Other indicators are not so great (like a CBs ability on the verticle jump) in determining if a guy has what it takes to be successful in the NFL.

socalorado
04-20-2009, 12:32 PM
If you use the draft to improve your team, that draft would improve the team.

I'm not a big Maualuga fan, but I could be. He's not an NFL leader yet, but he could be. Maualuga could be a very, very solid player as a 3-4 ILB with a solid D-line. But, can we fix the middle of that line?

REY REY has some issues that cause some obvious concern withhim as a prospect, but his ceiling is incredibly high. Thats the difference between him and most other prospects.

Thanks for the info Footsteps

Pony Boy
04-20-2009, 12:33 PM

I would be "shickled titless" if we get Jackson and Maualuga in the draft!

footstepsfrom#27
04-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Yah, looks like certain things like speed can help determin, with decent accuracy, if a WR will be successful in the NFL.

Other indicators are not so great (like a CBs ability on the verticle jump) in determining if a guy has what it takes to be successful in the NFL.
It's the collective skill set rated on EPA (Exceeds Peer Average) and ASC (Attribute Success Correlation) gradiated by both number of tests and correlating to different levels of success or failure in the NFL. This is scout-level information it would pay to look at.

footstepsfrom#27
04-20-2009, 12:44 PM
I would be "shickled titless" if we get Jackson and Maualuga in the draft!
I'm not thrilled with Maualuga.

socalorado
04-20-2009, 01:06 PM

REY + Nolan = Seau

:wiggle:

Kaylore
04-20-2009, 02:53 PM

He scares me too. It's like he's this big, stupid guy with a knee injury that can run straight forward (granted, like a freight train) but if things get even a little complicated he goes all "me no likey....me angry..."

cutthemdown
04-20-2009, 03:00 PM

Me 2. Why anyone would be unhappy with a physical MLB, a physical Dend I have no idea.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-20-2009, 03:02 PM
He scares me too. It's like he's this big, stupid guy with a knee injury that can run straight forward (granted, like a freight train) but if things get even a little complicated he goes all "me no likey....me angry..."

haha he's not a gorilla. Living in LA, i watched plenty of USC games and i think you're a little too hung up on his undisciplined play. He was a force in that defense and incredibly productive. So while he does sacrifice things for explosion at times, i dont think it should be a grave concern and its also a fixable problem. Dude, this guy is a force and brings attitude. I think he'd be a great pick up for us.

cutthemdown
04-20-2009, 03:05 PM

I really think you guys are wrong about him. He will be the type of player that really gives the offense pause everytime the decide to try and run for in on 3rd and short. No FB or RB can block him in the hole IMO. He destroys the point of attack and I think Broncos desperately need that.

He would be a great pick and I think would end up a favorite of yours and all the other fans.

cutthemdown
04-20-2009, 03:10 PM
haha he's not a gorilla. Living in LA, i watched plenty of USC games and i think you're a little too hung up on his undisciplined play. He was a force in that defense and incredibly productive. So while he does sacrifice things for explosion at times, i dont think it should be a grave concern and its also a fixable problem. Dude, this guy is a force and brings attitude. I think he'd be a great pick up for us.

Yeah I agree. The think with all of us here in Los Angeles is we have seen him play more then most of the other players in daft. USC about the only college team I watch. The thing with Maluaga is that he is so disruptive. He may not no where the play is going, but he doesn't care he crashes into the blockers with such force he obliterates plays. I hate linebackers who sit around trying to read the play and end up hitting no one. I like how Maluaga hits someone on every play. If he can't hit the ball carrier he picks a blocker and destroys him.

By playing so physical he creates an atmosphere where the other players start trying to hit harder as well. Also by being the type that takes on blockers with zeal he opens up things for the other backers to make plays.

Also I haven't seen a linebacker that can shed a block like Rey Rey can. Oline men will try to get hooks in him and he really knows how to shed that and still hit the ball carrier.

Rey Rey would look great in Orange and Blue, I just know he would. The people that see him as a bust have never been more wrong. Defensive rookie of the year is more like it.

Rohirrim
04-20-2009, 03:12 PM
I really think you guys are wrong about him. He will be the type of player that really gives the offense pause everytime the decide to try and run for in on 3rd and short. No FB or RB can block him in the hole IMO. He destroys the point of attack and I think Broncos desperately need that.

He would be a great pick and I think would end up a favorite of yours and all the other fans.

I agree. Like I've said elsewhere, the guy is a throwback. You watch film on him and you can see he scares people. He will make guards overcommit or move the wrong way. He causes QBs to throw it when they don't want to. People like to nitpick at his little imperfections, but they ignore his major talent: He disrupts! He ****s with people's heads. You can't put a price on that.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-20-2009, 03:14 PM

When he's angry, he makes other people angry too. There hasn't been someone like that on defense since '06.

footstepsfrom#27
04-20-2009, 04:01 PM
I agree. Like I've said elsewhere, the guy is a throwback. You watch film on him and you can see he scares people. He will make guards overcommit or move the wrong way. He causes QBs to throw it when they don't want to. People like to nitpick at his little imperfections, but they ignore his major talent: He disrupts! He ****s with people's heads. You can't put a price on that.
I don't disagree with much of this, but I also get the feeling this guy could possibly be a nut job who winds up being a total POS in the NFL. Romo scared people too...he's not all there either.

He might be great...or he might go Rae Carruth on somebody.

Rulon Velvet Jones
04-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Love to see Bernard Scott, ACU, getting a little love. The kid has a little something and will be a fighter in someone's training camp.

cutthemdown
04-20-2009, 04:07 PM
When he's angry, he makes other people angry too. There hasn't been someone like that on defense since '06.

Not only that but he is so strong. He can actually shed a 300 blocker. Most backers once a big olineman has his hooks in you it's over with, you are blocked.

Rey Rey sort of dips his hips and shoulder like a rb, explodes into the lineman making a collision, he's so powerful the collision removes all body lean from the blocker and stands him up. After that the blocker is flat footed, Rey Rey is still low, still driving his leg and using his upper body strength to disengage and leave blocker in disbelief.

Saw it for 2 straight yrs at USC. If you watch him closely you will see him time and time again win 1 on 1 matchups, even with bigger players.

What Broncos need is some players who can just flat out beat the man in front of them. I'm sick of gameplanning and scheming, it's time to just flat out hit people in the mouth and Maluaga IMO would be a huge first step.

IMO he's the nastiest player in the first round. He makes the other linebackers look like choir boys.

BroncoBuff
04-20-2009, 04:09 PM

Yeah me too, Jackson anyway ... but I'd prefer two DEs. We already have 3 or 4 ILBs, Davis, Larsen, DJ, Woodyard.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-20-2009, 04:12 PM
I don't disagree with much of this, but I also get the feeling this guy could possibly be a nut job who winds up being a total POS in the NFL. Romo scared people too...he's not all there either.

What are you talking about? if anything, he comes across as thoughtful and insightful in interviews.

Where's Plummer???
04-20-2009, 04:16 PM

wait... tony homo scared someone??

footstepsfrom#27
04-20-2009, 04:26 PM
What are you talking about? if anything, he comes across as thoughtful and insightful in interviews.
I'm not sure what it is...just a feeling I get about the guy. Also...can he cover downfield if he needs to? I have an idea he could be a boom or bust guy.

cutthemdown
04-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Yeah me too, Jackson anyway ... but I'd prefer two DEs. We already have 3 or 4 ILBs, Davis, Larsen, DJ, Woodyard.

Honestly if Broncos are making a full transition to a 3-4 Woodyard and DJ will be gone in 2 yrs. Woodyard just doesn't fit a 3-4. He really needs to be on the weakside in a 4-3. For Woodyard that would be best for him.

DJ same think on the weakside in a 4-3. He wasn't physical enough in the middle and IMO that won't change trying to play him inside in a 3-4.

Davis and Larsen just aren't that special of players to pass on Maluaga IMO.

I also like the idea of some big physical Dends like Jackson, but IMO we may be able to get both.

Adding a physical inside backer, and a physical run stuffing dend would go a long way to getting back to what wins football games. Strong oline, strong front 7.

I'd like to see a Dend, inside Backer, Center, all be looked at early in the draft.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-20-2009, 04:31 PM
I'm not sure what it is...just a feeling I get about the guy. Also...can he cover downfield if he needs to? I have an idea he could be a boom or bust guy.

He can play a little stiff, but he moves from sideline to sideline really well. I think he'd be more than fine. perhaps he's not a full time "3 down linebacker" but he doesnt have to be. We have guys already that can cover.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-20-2009, 04:33 PM
I have an idea he could be a boom or bust guy.

So you've read what pretty much every analyst has said about Rey Rey? Way to go out on a limb.

cutthemdown
04-20-2009, 04:34 PM

IMO he can but you wouldn't want to much. Better to have the other linebackers be good in coverage and let Rey Rey go after QB or cover the short zone in those situations.

Rey Rey will patrol the middle, the short middle zones, fill gaps, plug holes, create havoc in backfield, get after QB. You are telling me even if he does all those things with power and mayhem you would pass because you think he can't drop 15 yrds downfield and cover a TE or RB?

Give me a freaking break.

footstepsfrom#27
04-20-2009, 04:35 PM
He can play a little stiff, but he moves from sideline to sideline really well. I think he'd be more than fine. perhaps he's not a full time "3 down linebacker" but he doesnt have to be. We have guys already that can cover.
I have a problem taking a guy in the first round who isn't a 3 down LB. It seems about the same as taking a guy whose a 3rd down pass rusher that early. If he's off the field on passing downs, it spells trouble IMO. He could turn out to be great though...who knows? It's like I said though...this draft doesn't seem to have any sure bets.

cutthemdown
04-20-2009, 04:35 PM
I think a lot of people don't like USC because the win so much. There is a lot of anti usc propaganda IMO.

Rey Rey is the linebacker version of Troy Palamolu. He will be a stud I know it.

cutthemdown
04-20-2009, 04:37 PM
I have a problem taking a guy in the first round who isn't a 3 down LB. It seems about the same as taking a guy whose a 3rd down pass rusher that early. If he's off the field on passing downs, it spells trouble IMO. He could turn out to be great though...who knows? It's like I said though...this draft doesn't seem to have any sure bets.

He won't come off the field. On passing downs you turn him loose on the QB. He's so strong he can penetrate that oline and make plays.

He can also cover his zone. True he's not fleet footed like the pansy ass linebackers we have had last few yrs but they spend most of the time on their backs, while Rey Maluaga puts people on their backs.

I bet we pass on him and the Chargers draft him. Then he will kick Bronco ass for yrs and you will wish we had taken him.

footstepsfrom#27
04-20-2009, 04:38 PM
IMO he can but you wouldn't want to much. Better to have the other linebackers be good in coverage and let Rey Rey go after QB or cover the short zone in those situations.

Rey Rey will patrol the middle, the short middle zones, fill gaps, plug holes, create havoc in backfield, get after QB. You are telling me even if he does all those things with power and mayhem you would pass because you think he can't drop 15 yrds downfield and cover a TE or RB?

Give me a freaking break.
I'm not saying I'd pass. I'm saying he has some things that concern me. For one thing, there was something really odd about the reporter incident. I have a suspicion this guy might be trouble. He might not be...just the feeling I get right now. The Ohio State kid was more productive. I've got some questions about him also. On the other hand anybody we get at 18 probably has some questions.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-20-2009, 04:39 PM

It's not...he sets the tempo. For a team that hasnt been able to stop the run for **** the past 3 seasons, i want guys who specialize in that first. Why not get someone who has the potential to be dominant?

footstepsfrom#27
04-20-2009, 05:53 PM
It's not...he sets the tempo. For a team that hasnt been able to stop the run for **** the past 3 seasons, i want guys who specialize in that first. Why not get someone who has the potential to be dominant?
Well if he's off the field on passing downs will he really be dominant?

Back to the original topic though...

Who jumps out from the combine results that maybe we haven't thought of and they're worth a look? I'm talking 3rd round or later probably.

Rohirrim
04-20-2009, 05:59 PM

That's a low blow. Carruth hired somebody to murder his pregnant gf. All Rey has ever done is get in a couple of bar punch-outs. There was a time when that was expected behavior from middle LBs. Maybe the league is just getting too pussified for this kind of throwback player?

footstepsfrom#27
04-20-2009, 06:07 PM
That's a low blow. Carruth hired somebody to murder his pregnant gf. All Rey has ever done is get in a couple of bar punch-outs. There was a time when that was expected behavior from middle LBs. Maybe the league is just getting too pussified for this kind of throwback player?
Observe:

Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27

"could possibly"

"might"

He concerns me...that's all I'm saying.

cutthemdown
04-20-2009, 06:11 PM
I'm not saying I'd pass. I'm saying he has some things that concern me. For one thing, there was something really odd about the reporter incident. I have a suspicion this guy might be trouble. He might not be...just the feeling I get right now. The Ohio State kid was more productive. I've got some questions about him also. On the other hand anybody we get at 18 probably has some questions.

Lauranatis I like also but he isn't near as strong as Rey

Rohirrim
04-20-2009, 06:13 PM
Observe:

Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27

"could possibly"

"might"

He concerns me...that's all I'm saying.

Having grown up in that area of Los Angeles where there were many Samoans, Polynesians, and whatnot, I can tell you that Rey is not too far out of the mainstream in the culture he springs from. Let me see, what is a delicate way of putting this... they like to fight.

Where's Plummer???
04-20-2009, 06:29 PM
i want and end and a DT our run stop blew ass last year