PDA

View Full Version : Ot: Ipods...

Archer81
04-19-2009, 09:42 PM
Looking to buy one, and everyone keeps telling me the IPOD touch is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I am going to get it tomorrow AM before work, but does anyone have one of these, possibly give me the negatives/positives? I am looking at either the 8GB or the 16, but for the same price as the 16, I can get the Ipod classic with 120gb. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

:Broncos:

Popps
04-19-2009, 09:47 PM
iPhone, here. Love it.

Got my wife an iPod touch for a gift recently and she's insane over it. Obviously great for the music/wi-fi/integration features, but the apps-store just opens up another world on these things.

Just depends what you really want it to do. If you want it to be an all-in-one device, definitely get the touch. If you're just a hardcore music junkie and want to load up on 6 million songs, get the classic. (My son has the classic and loves it.)

Personally, I'd rather just cycle music on and off... and deal with smaller capacity in order to get access to the apps, iCal, mail, web, etc.

Jesterhole
04-19-2009, 09:55 PM
iPhone is the way to go. I've had one for two weeks, and I already can't imagine living without it. Basically, having the Internet at your fingertips 24/7 is like having the entire wealth of human knowledge in your pocket at all times. GPS, music, e-mail, weather, and all your contacts in you phone all in one machine...hell, I even get to watch Youtube while in the bathroom now.

Hard to overstate how incredible they are. I drive around without fear of getting lost, and if I blow a tire or my car breaks down, I can find a tow truck company nearest to me, then call them and have them come fix my ride.

Get to listen to 1000's of radio stations when I drive, or watch movies while stuck in traffic.

Plus, surfing the web during a marathon meeting at work is A-W-E-S-O-M-E.

The only down side is that the battery runs down kind of fast. You get around 4-6 hours of continuous use before you need to recharge...which isn't great, but comparable to a laptop.

Get the 16 gig, you'll fill it up fast.

Irish Stout
04-19-2009, 09:58 PM
If you have a lot of music already downloaded and don't currently own a 30gb or bigger music player, then consider the classic. Its still easy to use and you can store all of your music on it now.

If you want something that is slick, beautiful, easy to use, can play lots of games and get on the wifi, get the touch. 16gbs is a lot of music (can get you through a 2 week trip fairly easily), but eventually you'll want to plug it into the comp and switch up what you have.

Where's Plummer???
04-19-2009, 10:01 PM
i personally like the zune better... IMO. it holds more than the ipod for the same price. only thing is if your lookin for a small device the ipdo would be the way to go. the zune is kinda bulky. but for vids n crap id take the zune. besides it has WiFi

ChampBailey24
04-19-2009, 10:03 PM
i have a 16 gb i pod touch, it is the "sexy" pick, but after having it since the date it came out, id rather have the ipod classic with more memory, but i love music more than anything. so if you just like the touch because of its applications and wi-fi then get it, but as far as msuic goes, id get an ipod classic

ChampBailey24
04-19-2009, 10:04 PM
although the flash drive on the touch will last longer, and wont wear down like the hard drive

Jesterhole
04-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Here is a good comparison between iPhone and iTouch. Even though they disregard the whole phone part, the iPhone still wins.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4370-11399_7-35-101.html

TDmvp
04-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Touch ... nothing like it ... Unless you want the iphone .

So much more then a mp3 player . There is 0 reason to buy anything else for personal use . I could see have classics with 100s of gigs for using them to DJ but for anything else the touch is what you want ....

The apps for the touch is the greatest thing since sliced bread and if you get crazy jailbreak it ... I have one with like 200 nes games and 100 snes games on it plus music and vids ...

But there is so many good apps and games jailbroke or not there is just no reason to buy anything else ...apps you will use all the time .

Have a 8gig gen one jailbroke and a 16gig gen2 and girlfriend has a gen2 16gig as well they are the bomb...
I have a nice Zen 32 gig But the touches are just so nice ...

Get one you will love it

TDmvp
04-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Unless you are Full Album Guy ...

The guy who thinks for some reason you need to carry 10000000 songs , 999000 of you just skip over the touch is fine on how much it holds ...

I never fill either of mine , but I just carry music i actually want to hear and don't get all caught up in the telling people i have 20,000 full cds lol .....

My girlfriend actually carries way more music on her's then me like 500 -1000 plus songs and still hadn't filled it and she has a ton of apps on it as well...

Archer81
04-19-2009, 10:18 PM
I only do whole albums if I like the entire album, that rarely happens. I have itunes, 300 songs. Also starting to download comedy skits and stuff.

*EDIT* 300 songs. Typing too quickly.

Killericon
04-19-2009, 10:22 PM
I have a 30GB Zune, and I don't even listen to all the music. I cannot comprehend how someone needs a 120GB iPod.

TDmvp
04-19-2009, 10:24 PM
I only do whole albums if I like the entire album, that rarely happens. I have itunes, 700 songs. Also starting to download comedy skits and stuff.

Touch ...

Jason in LA
04-19-2009, 10:58 PM
I love the touch. The iPhone wasn't really for me. I need a real key pad. So I kept my Treo, which I love, and got a touch. I don't have thousands of songs, so I'm not worried about the space. The best thing is that I can show photos to people. It's a lot better than just handing people a business card with a website address that they'll probably never go to. Instead I can show them photos right on the spot.

I never really got into the apps. And I never use the WiFi. But for playing music and storing photos, it's great.

Now, Palm is coming out with the Pre, which is pretty much an iPhone with a full key pad. I can't wait until that comes out. It's pretty much the phone I've been waiting for.

BigPlayShay
04-19-2009, 11:02 PM
If you ever get drafted to be an NFL QB I advise you not to listen to your iPod while the other QB is playing. Please make sure you pay attention to what the offense is doing ;)

chickennob2
04-20-2009, 02:51 AM
I am on a college campus with wifi, so the iPod touch is the ****. I love it to death.

Broncoman13
04-20-2009, 03:54 AM
I am surfing and posting on my ITouch right now! Highly recommend it! I have the 8GB, about 500 songs that I listen to and 15 apps. Still plenty of room left!

dreasher54
04-20-2009, 05:21 AM
The touches are amazing, if you like all the extras, i have the classic love it all my music and what not. If you get a touch dont let it drop on screen or it will be gone. Thats another reason i like the classic more durrible

Mogulseeker
04-20-2009, 05:28 AM
Looking to buy one, and everyone keeps telling me the IPOD touch is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I am going to get it tomorrow AM before work, but does anyone have one of these, possibly give me the negatives/positives? I am looking at either the 8GB or the 16, but for the same price as the 16, I can get the Ipod classic with 120gb. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Skip it. Steve Jobs is a liberal. Don't give your money to liberals!

dreasher54
04-20-2009, 05:37 AM
Skip it. Steve Jobs is a liberal. Don't give your money to liberals!

Hilarious!

spdirty
04-20-2009, 05:50 AM
First ond hopefully only ipod I have is the nano. Its nice, cute, and gets the job done for me.

Mogulseeker
04-20-2009, 06:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MulBckv7g5A

I can't embed youtube on my work computer, and all I can get on my iPhone is the url.

Beej
04-20-2009, 06:25 AM
I have the 8G touch, but haven't checked out any of the apps yet. What are some good ones to get?

baja
04-20-2009, 07:08 AM
iPhone, here. Love it.

Got my wife an iPod touch for a gift recently and she's insane over it. Obviously great for the music/wi-fi/integration features, but the apps-store just opens up another world on these things.

Just depends what you really want it to do. If you want it to be an all-in-one device, definitely get the touch. If you're just a hardcore music junkie and want to load up on 6 million songs, get the classic. (My son has the classic and loves it.)

Personally, I'd rather just cycle music on and off... and deal with smaller capacity in order to get access to the apps, iCal, mail, web, etc.

I had a tough time deciding between the touch and the classic, I went with the classic because I have an i phone. Im a fool for Apple stuff, I have three nanos and an original white classic i pod in my Land Cruiser the i phone and a new 120 gig classic plus a Bose Tri-Pol headphones and a Bose noise canceling head phones and a Bose speaker for i pod and two other speaker systems for i pod. Damn I should open a store. Oh I almost forgot Apple TV

baja
04-20-2009, 07:11 AM
iPhone is the way to go. I've had one for two weeks, and I already can't imagine living without it. Basically, having the Internet at your fingertips 24/7 is like having the entire wealth of human knowledge in your pocket at all times. GPS, music, e-mail, weather, and all your contacts in you phone all in one machine...hell, I even get to watch Youtube while in the bathroom now.

Hard to overstate how incredible they are. I drive around without fear of getting lost, and if I blow a tire or my car breaks down, I can find a tow truck company nearest to me, then call them and have them come fix my ride.

Get to listen to 1000's of radio stations when I drive, or watch movies while stuck in traffic.

Plus, surfing the web during a marathon meeting at work is A-W-E-S-O-M-E.

The only down side is that the battery runs down kind of fast. You get around 4-6 hours of continuous use before you need to recharge...which isn't great, but comparable to a laptop.

<b>Get the 16 gig, you'll fill it up fast.

Yea get the 16 gig or you will be sorry.

baja
04-20-2009, 07:22 AM
OK here is an I phone problem. I have a two year contract with ATT which I can put on vacation mode by calling ATT and only pay 10 dollars a month for six months at a time but I would like to use the i phone with my provider here in cabo. They have i phones for sale here now but they are $900 so what I want to do is unblock the phone i have and put my SIMS card for TelMex in the iphone when I am in Cabo and switch to the ATT SIMS card when I am in the states is that possible? Anyone?

Los Broncos
04-20-2009, 07:25 AM
I like my Zune 120 gig much better than the classic Ipod.

Just not as many assesories for it.

Archer81
04-20-2009, 07:33 AM
I'm getting the I-Pod Touch 16GB. Thanks guys/girls.

Also, I dont care if Jobs is a liberal, ipods are nifty.

PaintballCLE
04-20-2009, 07:41 AM
I still prefer the classic over the touch...

1. The touch is fragile! (Granted they both kinda are) but from experience if you drop the touch from more than waist high, its done! The classic you got about a 75% chance of it still working.

2. HD space: Granted i agree with everyone else that you dont need 2000 Cd's with you at once..........but its great to have full length DVD movies on the go. I uploaded all the broncos games from last season on my ipod....so ok maybe last season isn't a good example but you get my point.

3. Size: I like the bigger classic. The touches are too small.....if it falls out of your pocket or someone swipes it you would hardly notice if at all. At least with the classic you know.

Garcia Bronco
04-20-2009, 07:49 AM
iPhone, here. Love it.

There is no better phone interface than the iPhone. Mine's a piece though, but I have a bad one and Apple won't do **** about it because it's past the 1 year warranty.

baja
04-20-2009, 08:20 AM
There is no better phone interface than the iPhone. Mine's a piece though, but I have a bad one and Apple won't do **** about it because it's past the 1 year warranty.

What's the problem with it?

just go back and ask to speak to the genius manger and smooze him/her and you will find they have a lot of latitude to make an exception.

I have had 5 replacements with my first i pod classic no questions asked and i have got about 10 power cords replaced (they keep dying in Mexico with the questionable power source). You gots to be nice Garcia. ;D

Miss I.
04-20-2009, 08:53 AM
I am surfing and posting on my ITouch right now! Highly recommend it! I have the 8GB, about 500 songs that I listen to and 15 apps. Still plenty of room left!

I really should leave this statement alone...be mature or something, but he practically gift wrapped it and put a bow on it...Because I got to say the above sounds like euphemism for something guys do about 20x a day and the rest sounds like bragging about size and capacity, which guys like to do...I am just saying....:wave:

As for the I Phone, all sounds good, my only thing was I couldn't figure if it would work over in England and all that. And buying those things over in England is insanely expensive. Still I am happy enough with my Crackberry Curve, but when I return stateside in 3 to 5 years will likely by whatever newest Iphone craze is out. Everyone does seem to love them.

BroncoBuff
04-20-2009, 09:12 AM
My two cents ....

For music only, neither Apple nor Zune. Instead I recommend:

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/1025/sansaclipsolovw6.png

I have this 2GB Sansa Clip, got it for $49 open box ($59 regular price), and I highly recommend it for music only ... 2 GB is 500 songs, which has been plenty for me. The interface is an Apple ripoff, but the LED lights
and the price (duh) both beat the iPod Nano and classic, which are $89 and up.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8553834&type=product&id=1188561248598

For music and video, neither Apple nor Zune. Instead I recommend:

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/5329/artvisionpfq1.png

Creative ZEN players feature bigger screens (turn the unit sideways for a wide screen, Apple - duh!).

They have better resolution, too. My gf has the 30G version, and it is a truly wonderful piece of equipment. Makes the iPod and Zen video models look like Romper Room. Less expensive, too.

http://www.creative.com/products/pmp/

Rigs11
04-20-2009, 09:13 AM
get the iphone..and then jailbreak it. Then you can install whatever you want on it.Eat it Apple!

sutoazul
04-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Iphone all the way!!!
I got mine about a month ago and love it!!
I thought of cracking it to install a bunch of stuff for free, but have not found a very expensive app that I would not pay for. Games are alright but I tend to stay away from them... I would not work or stay focus anywhere, even on a red light if I get a great game on it. All I have is sudoku and I play only whenever I got 10 mins free or so.

I got about 500 songs on it, and a bunch of apps like online banking, radio stations around the country, cbs sports and stuff like that. I can't think of myself without it.

TheManeMan
04-20-2009, 12:06 PM
get the iphone..and then jailbreak it. Then you can install whatever you want on it.Eat it Apple!

What he said

TDmvp
04-20-2009, 12:26 PM
My two cents ....

I have this 2GB Sansa Clip, got it for $49 open box ($59 regular price), and I highly recommend it for music only ... 2 GB is 500 songs, which has been plenty for me. The interface is an Apple ripoff, but the LED lights

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8553834&type=product&id=1188561248598

Creative ZEN players feature bigger screens (turn the unit sideways for a wide screen, Apple - duh!).

They have better resolution, too. My gf has the 30G version, and it is a truly wonderful piece of equipment. Makes the iPod and Zen video models look like Romper Room. Less expensive, too.

explain that bold line Buff ... you can turn the touch sideways /shrug

I have that Zen and a touch... Buff ... I like it But nothing makes the touch look "romper room" .... You sound like you never played with a touch ...

The thing is just like star trek cool and so much more then just a mp3 player.
Cover flow alone is just WOW ... It is basically a tablet PC ...

When friends ask this same question , which mp3 player to buy ...
I tell them if you want just a MP3 player and one you careless about , go zen , and go cheap ... If you lose it who cares or it breaks ....

If you want something that's life changing and once you get one you couldn't think of being without it and it happens to also play mp3s hehe ... Go touch ...

I really like that Zen ... use it when i run , so not to drop the touch eheh.
Creative makes GREAT stuff , and if you was ANTI apple or looking to save a little anything they make is FINE and way above average ... But it's light years behind the touch.

seanpgk
04-20-2009, 02:56 PM
I got the 32G Touch. Almost got the 16G but decided I'd kick myself for not getting the most memory possible. Only half full now, but I have a friend with over 1TB of music, so it'll fill up fast. Absolutely love this little thing: apps, Internet, music, games, etc. You won't have any regrets about getting the Touch.

frerottenextelway
04-20-2009, 03:08 PM
iPod Nano 4th gen. Love it.

BroncoBuff
04-20-2009, 03:12 PM
explain that bold line Buff ... you can turn the touch sideways /shrug

I have that Zen and a touch... Buff ... I like it But nothing makes the touch look "romper room" .... You sound like you never played with a touch ...

My mistake ... the iPod Touch does have a sideways aspect ratio, so it has a bigger screen.

That was actually an older post on the same topic I just copied here. I was talking about the other iPods, when the screens were mounted against the height of the unit.

Rock Chalk
04-20-2009, 03:18 PM
iSchmucks.

Archer81
04-20-2009, 08:38 PM
How do I get the app with the nintendo games? Looking and cant find it!

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-20-2009, 08:51 PM
I have both the Zune and the video Ipod. I like the Zune better. Its easier to navigate, bigger screen, more memory, easier to get files.

TDmvp
04-20-2009, 08:58 PM
How do I get the app with the nintendo games? Looking and cant find it!

You need to Jailbreak ...

BABronco
04-20-2009, 08:59 PM
I have both the Zune and the video Ipod. I like the Zune better. Its easier to navigate, bigger screen, more memory, easier to get files.

Yep, yep, yep and yep.

TDmvp
04-20-2009, 09:08 PM

Yea ... there is a lot of straight mp3 players that are better then standard ipods ... I like the Zen and the Zune better than just a normal Ipod classis . Hands Down ...

But comparing any normal mp3 players to the touch isn't really fair . End up using it to do so much more then listen to music ... I bet I have it turned on more day to day to use a app or look something up on the web when not around my pc then listening to music ... So much bang for the buck.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Yea ... there is a lot of straight mp3 players that are better then standard ipods ... I like the Zen and the Zune better than just a normal Ipod classis . Hands Down ...

But comparing any normal mp3 players to the touch isn't really fair . End up using it to do so much more then listen to music ... I bet I have it turned on more day to day to use a app or look something up on the web when not around my pc then listening to music ... So much bang for the buck.

how much is the "touch"?

Popps
04-20-2009, 09:22 PM

Yea, mine is fine... more than a year old. But, I'm pretty careful with it. Even if it's past the one-year warranty mark, it's worth a trip into the Apple store. They may still help you, or offer a repair at a decent rate. I've heard mostly good stories about people going in with problems.

jacob2125
04-20-2009, 09:38 PM
how much is the "touch"?

8 gig is 229, 16 is 299 and 32 is 399.

If you just want an mp3 player than get something cheaper. However with wi-fi, apps, photos, movies and whatnot the iPod Touch is basically a mini, portable PC. The best purchase I've made in a long time.

baja
04-20-2009, 09:58 PM

If you just want an mp3 player than get something cheaper. However with wi-fi, apps, photos, movies and whatnot the iPod Touch is basically a mini, portable PC. The best purchase I've made in a long time.

Is the ipod touch in any way better than the iphone? Bigger screen? Faster internet? Longer Battery? Does it purr? ;D

TDmvp
04-20-2009, 10:03 PM

Great post .... well summed . +1 ...

If you just want a MP3 player don't buy a apple . So many other better cheaper options.

But if you want to buy something that will be like your cool purchase for the year The Touch is that thing..
First time i showed it to my Mom she acted like cave men seeing fire for the first time or like i was someone back from the future ... ROFL!

I felt like that as well Jacob , was best thing i had bought in a long time for so many reasons ...

TDmvp
04-20-2009, 10:05 PM
Is the ipod touch in any way better than the iphone? Bigger screen? Faster internet? Longer Battery? Does it purr? ;D

For those not wanting a phone and a camera or a monthly fee it is much better ...

edit: I'm cheap phone guy cause sure as I bought the Iphone I'd lose or Break it ...

Archer81
04-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Just so everyone knows. I bought the touch. I dont think I have had something this cool in a long time. So thanks everyone who gave me the pros and cons. Touch is awesome.

Los Broncos
04-29-2009, 03:37 PM

My Zune 120gig cost me $190.00 at CC when they were going out of business.

Jori
04-29-2009, 03:38 PM
My two cents ....

I'm sort of a black sheep...I'm an Archos fan. The devices are large and bulky, but I love the video capabilities. With a special dock I can hook the device to a satellite receiver, TV or cable box and record content directly onto the device. I can also use the USB plug on my Dish Network receiver and transfer content at faster then real time speed. If you are a portable video lover like myself, it's the way to go.

For my music needs, I have a Samsung S3....I'm really waiting for the Samsung P3 to come out.

Chris
04-29-2009, 04:23 PM
The touch is the phone minus the $80 - $100 monthly fee paid to AT&T. Get it.

TDmvp
04-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Glad you like Sirhcyennek ...

Los Broncos
04-29-2009, 04:54 PM
I also bought the Zune A/V pack and the Kicker speak dock, comes with a remote.

One click and I play anything, pretty cool.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-29-2009, 05:40 PM
My Zune 120gig cost me $190.00 at CC when they were going out of business.

damn good deal.