PDA

View Full Version : Notes from Sunday's practice. Woodyard playing inside, Crowder looks good at LB

RunSilentRunDeep
04-19-2009, 03:26 PM
I know, everyone looks good in shorts. Wonder if anything the coaches saw tweaks draft plans.

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/closing-out-camp/

The Broncos’ first mini-camp of the Josh McDaniels era wrapped up on Sunday, and it did nothing if not get the players and coaches even more excited for this year’s campaign.

“It was great,” McDaniels said. “You could see the energy that’s out here — the players are practicing hard, the coaches are coaching hard and everybody has the same goal in mind, which is to get better every day. We’re going to pay the price right now to try to win in September.”

Sunday’s practice was open to the media, so here are some quick hits from the session:
# Coach McDaniels has certainly taken a hands-on approach for the first three practices. Not only has he rotated from position group to position group, he’s also gotten involved in some of the drills. He lined up as a defensive back to make sure the receivers were running crisp routes, and even tried to slap the ball away from running backs to stress ball control as they finished up a drill.

“He’s had some good offenses over the last few years in New England, and you don’t get that way by just sitting back in your chair and watching TV,” Chris Simms said. “I think he’s a pretty hands-on guy.”

# Speaking of coaches being up-close-and-personal, Jabar Gaffney and Offensive Line Coach Rick Dennison got to know each other a little better Sunday morning. During 7-on-7 drills, Kyle Orton dropped back and launched a pass to Gaffney, who was streaking past his defender down the sideline. Players began to shout as Gaffney neared the offensive line doing drills, and the receiver made quite a catch over his shoulder before running right into the back of Dennison. The coach hopped right back up with a smile, and the offensive line applauded as Gaffney jogged back to the huddle, got a fist pound from Chad Jackson and a laugh and high five from Orton.

“I said ‘Great catch’ to Jabar and I’ll try not to do that again,” Orton said with a smile. “But it was a great play.”
# Orton and Chris Simms split the repetitions evenly throughout Sunday’s practice, and afterward the two were asked separately how to describe the process of learning McDaniels’ offensive system.

“Whatever you put into it is what you get out,” Orton said. “There are plenty of teams implementing new systems and plenty of quarterbacks that have to learn new systems, so it’s nothing overly challenging. Just come in and put the work in — it’s not rocket science.”

Simms agreed that it might not be rocket science, but he had another metaphor ready.

“It’s a new language,” he said. “Any time you’re learning a new language things are going to be hard, just trying to get everybody on the same page. There are some new routes for receivers that they haven’t run before, and there are routes that I haven’t thrown before, so it’s a matter of us all getting on the same page.”
# The snow hasn’t melted from the team’s practice field, so once again they took to the “bubble,” an indoor field surrounded by a dome that looks like it’s made out of a Moon Bounce. But being forced indoors didn’t stop Matt Prater from practicing field goals. Lonny Paxton snapped the ball to Brett Kern, who held for Prater, and the kicker simply booted the ball against the side of the dome.
# The quarterbacks were involved in an interesting drill during practice — fielding ground balls and tossing the baseball back toward the wall of the dome.

“Just trying to get quick feet, quick hands and get the ball out,” Orton explained.
# Plenty of fans seem to be interested in how the linebacker corps is taking shape this offseason. Here’s one update — Wesley Woodyard said he’s been taking some repetitions at inside linebacker when the team runs a 3-4. He said it’s not much different from the role he played last season — “just flying around, making plays,” he said. It seems to be working out so far — during 7-on-7 drills he read a route the whole way, jumped it and returned an interception to the endzone, which resulted in plenty of shouting from the defensive sideline.
# A couple of new faces took some snaps with the linebackers during 7-on-7 drills as well, including Elvis Dumervil and Tim Crowder.

“It was kind of shocking at first, but to see (Dumervil) drop out of there, him and Tim Crowder, to be able to drop back, they look like linebackers out there like they’ve been doing it for years,” Woodyard said. “So it’s been a pretty good fit for those guys.”

Now that this mini-camp is over, the team can look foward to the NFL Draft, which starts this Saturday.

“I think it’s always exciting when you get an opportunity to add good football players to your team, whether it be through free agency or the draft,” McDaniels said. “The draft offers a lot of good young players and we’re looking forward to the ones that are going to end up as Broncos here after seven or eight days.”

The team’s next mini-camp takes place the weekend after the draft — May 1 - 3.

Broncojef
04-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Good stuff, thanks for the post man.

Man-Goblin
04-19-2009, 03:35 PM
Crowder is somewhat the forgotten man, and it would be a surprise if he could play OLB. I think most people had him pegged as a 5 tech in the new system.

cutthemdown
04-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Crowder IMO wont be able to play OLB very well. He could be cut.

DenverBrit
04-19-2009, 03:38 PM
It's good to see something, anything, coming from a camp. Thanks.

Stand by for:

"What do you expect from the Gulag run by McD, it's all just 'happy talk, nothing more."
"Players are frightened for their jobs, of course they'll say something positive.....they're scared, stop drinking the kool-aid." :spit:

want2bAbronco2
04-19-2009, 03:39 PM
I love WW! Man I hope he can just find a spot and start there. Seems to just make play after play.

lostknight
04-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Players know that they have to preform. Nothing new here. That being said, the one thing I remain positive about from a coaching perspective is the fact we finally brought in coaches that should know how to build a effective 3-4. Denver has a wealth of players at Linebackers, and we need to be leveraging them much better.

Any word on how Ron Brace is doing at N.T? We need to know sooner rather then later if we need to trade up to get Raji in the draft.

cutthemdown
04-19-2009, 04:04 PM
I love WW! Man I hope he can just find a spot and start there. Seems to just make play after play.

He's got the heart I think, but will need some help maybe from a bigger more physical guy lined up next to him. Not sure DJ is that type in a 3-4. More likely both DJ and Woodyard would need someone bigger to help them shine.

IMO DJ Woodyard will be asked to do a lot of the same type of stuff for Broncos. What we need is a sledgehammer like Maluaga to help them with size and nastiness.

cutthemdown
04-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Players know that they have to preform. Nothing new here. That being said, the one thing I remain positive about from a coaching perspective is the fact we finally brought in coaches that should know how to build a effective 3-4. Denver has a wealth of players at Linebackers, and we need to be leveraging them much better.

Any word on how Ron Brace is doing at N.T? We need to know sooner rather then later if we need to trade up to get Raji in the draft.

You act like Brace already on the team. You realize we would have to draft him right?

Maybe you meant Reid from San Fran?

Until the oline and dlines can go at it hard you won't know. In shorts I doubt big guys are revving it up just yet.

Exciting times in Denver I think. I love how Mcdaniels is hungry to coach up players and put his effort into all facets of the team. I think under Shanny it got to point where the defensive guys just felt like SHannahan didn't care about them.

If the defense can get fired up and play better that will offset some of the pain of Cutler being gone.

Inkana7
04-19-2009, 04:13 PM
You act like Brace already on the team. You realize we would have to draft him right?

Maybe you meant Reid from San Fran?

Until the oline and dlines can go at it hard you won't know. In shorts I doubt big guys are revving it up just yet.

Exciting times in Denver I think. I love how Mcdaniels is hungry to coach up players and put his effort into all facets of the team. I think under Shanny it got to point where the defensive guys just felt like SHannahan didn't care about them.

If the defense can get fired up and play better that will offset some of the pain of Cutler being gone.

You mean Ron Fields from SF? :welcome:

BroncoMan4ever
04-19-2009, 04:28 PM

i think he will, especially since we will do a hybrid 3-4 which means we will still see occasional allignment in the 4-3 and Woodyard will see the field in those situations at least. plus if he adds a few pounds he could probably stay on the field all the time at the ILB position in 3-4 allignments.

cutthemdown
04-19-2009, 04:34 PM
i think he will, especially since we will do a hybrid 3-4 which means we will still see occasional allignment in the 4-3 and Woodyard will see the field in those situations at least. plus if he adds a few pounds he could probably stay on the field all the time at the ILB position in 3-4 allignments.

In a 4-3 where would he play? At the weakside almost certainly. That would force DJ either to the middle or to the SSL spot.

I see Woodyard as a spot player this yr who plays but doesn't start. I think he will play special teams and do really well, back up DJ on the weakside and spell him maybe 10 plays a game in certain packages.

In the 3-4 he will once again IMO have to fight for a spot because his size would almost make him have to go inside. No way he can play the Jack IMO, or the SOLB in a 3-4. DJ I feel same way about. Seems to me it will be tough to get both DJ and Woodyard on field at same time.

Maybe if DJ willing to try his luck at the strongside. IMO a 3-4 with both DJ and Woodyard and Bailey leaves us not enough size or physical play. Some draft picks IMO are going to vastly change how we all see the linebackers playing out.

colonelbeef
04-19-2009, 04:35 PM
thx for the update.

cutthemdown
04-19-2009, 04:35 PM
You mean Ron Fields from SF? :welcome:

lol yeah ;)

Kaylore
04-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Camp is a bit better because the pads go on and then separate the boys from the men.

Tombstone RJ
04-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Nice read.

orange crusher
04-19-2009, 05:05 PM
I think WW will be a good fit at MLB if they can get some good sized outside LB's. Hopefully, Doom and/or Moss can fill one of those spots. The kid can flat out play, regardless of his weight.

cutthemdown
04-19-2009, 05:08 PM
I think WW will be a good fit at MLB if they can get some good sized outside LB's. Hopefully, Doom and/or Moss can fill one of those spots. The kid can flat out play, regardless of his weight.

I think they find ways for him to play, but it won't be as a full time starter.

Malcontent
04-19-2009, 05:11 PM
No mention of JMFW...

SoCalBronco
04-19-2009, 05:22 PM
No mention of JMFW...

They didn't want to risk being hit by a bolt of lightning.

Paladin
04-19-2009, 05:27 PM
No mention of JMFW...

Despite all the hoorah, I don't know if this guy can actually play. He's not too big, and I just don't like midget CBs.....

telluride
04-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Exciting!

socalorado
04-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Despite all the hoorah, I don't know if this guy can actually play. He's not too big, and I just don't like midget CBs.....
SHUT THE F*U* UP FAT MAN!!!
YOU are looking to get motherf***in, F***ED UP!!

http://filmic.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/pulp_fiction-bible.jpg

socalorado
04-19-2009, 05:40 PM
“just flying around, making plays,” he said. It seems to be working out so far

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2008/1212/20081212_122018_sp12woodyard.jpg

Rohirrim
04-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Nice read. I guess all the doom and gloom only exists on fan boards. Sounds like the Broncos are pumped up and ready to go. Excellent! :~ohyah!:

BroncoMan4ever
04-19-2009, 06:12 PM
In a 4-3 where would he play? At the weakside almost certainly. That would force DJ either to the middle or to the SSL spot.

I see Woodyard as a spot player this yr who plays but doesn't start. I think he will play special teams and do really well, back up DJ on the weakside and spell him maybe 10 plays a game in certain packages.

In the 3-4 he will once again IMO have to fight for a spot because his size would almost make him have to go inside. No way he can play the Jack IMO, or the SOLB in a 3-4. DJ I feel same way about. Seems to me it will be tough to get both DJ and Woodyard on field at same time.

Maybe if DJ willing to try his luck at the strongside. IMO a 3-4 with both DJ and Woodyard and Bailey leaves us not enough size or physical play. Some draft picks IMO are going to vastly change how we all see the linebackers playing out.

i truly think strong side in the 3-4 is DJ's best position. he has the most ability of the LBs on our roster and is the only one capable of being able to hang with TEs drop into coverage, and blitz occasionally. i think right now, with the guys we have currently on our LB corps should be Doom as the outside rush LB, Woodyard/Larsen and Davis on the inside, and DJ on the strong side.

i pair Woodyard and Larsen because i think on running downs Larsen should be in, and on passing downs it should be Woodyard. they would alternate on a basis of who they are playing that week, and in game situations

cutthemdown
04-19-2009, 06:21 PM
i truly think strong side in the 3-4 is DJ's best position. he has the most ability of the LBs on our roster and is the only one capable of being able to hang with TEs drop into coverage, and blitz occasionally. i think right now, with the guys we have currently on our LB corps should be Doom as the outside rush LB, Woodyard/Larsen and Davis on the inside, and DJ on the strong side.

i pair Woodyard and Larsen because i think on running downs Larsen should be in, and on passing downs it should be Woodyard. they would alternate on a basis of who they are playing that week, and in game situations

Interesting. At 240 with moderate physical play DJ probably could play SSL over the TE in a 3-4. I do feel to pull it off though we would need a bigger more physical strongside DE. Maybe that will be Marcus Thomas? but bigger Dends would be needed. Obviously a big NT at least for depth would also need to be drafted.

Also is Woodyard Physical enough to make a difference inside in a 3-4? He could have some trouble getting through the big olineman.

cutthemdown
04-19-2009, 06:26 PM
If Doom can make the transition and play the Jack position in a 3-4 Broncos could then look to add size in the draft and maybe not pick based on pass rushing ability. They may look for big DE/DT that they can play in a 3-4 and hold the edges with. With Thomas at one end, and maybe a big draft pick at another end, Broncos may be able to have slightly smaller linebackers in the 3-4.

Or I could just be high.

TheDave
04-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Oddly enough we move from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and it looks like we have an over abundance of LB's.

With that in mind... God I hope that Tysone Jackson falls to #12. All of these reports of him moving up several teams boards is concerning me.

broncosteven
04-19-2009, 06:43 PM
“It was great,” McDaniels said. “You could see the energy that’s out here — the players are practicing hard, the coaches are coaching hard and everybody has the same goal in mind, which is to get better every day. We’re going to pay the price right now to try to win in September.”

Sounds like everyone was HARD and they are looking forward to winning in September, too bad the season goes into Feb!

Sunday’s practice was open to the media, so here are some quick hits from the session:
# Coach McDaniels has certainly taken a hands-on approach for the first three practices. Not only has he rotated from position group to position group, he’s also gotten involved in some of the drills. He lined up as a defensive back to make sure the receivers were running crisp routes, and even tried to slap the ball away from running backs to stress ball control as they finished up a drill.

“Whatever you put into it is what you get out,” Orton said. “There are plenty of teams implementing new systems and plenty of quarterbacks that have to learn new systems, so it’s nothing overly challenging. Just come in and put the work in — it’s not rocket science.”

I like Orton, he will put in the work to get better, he will not be a stud but he is good for this team.

Simms agreed that it might not be rocket science, but he had another metaphor ready.

“It’s a new language,” he said. “Any time you’re learning a new language things are going to be hard, just trying to get everybody on the same page. There are some new routes for receivers that they haven’t run before, and there are routes that I haven’t thrown before, so it’s a matter of us all getting on the same page.”

Simms is talking like a #2 QB

# The snow hasn’t melted from the team’s practice field, so once again they took to the “bubble,” an indoor field surrounded by a dome that looks like it’s made out of a Moon Bounce. But being forced indoors didn’t stop Matt Prater from practicing field goals. Lonny Paxton snapped the ball to Brett Kern, who held for Prater, and the kicker simply booted the ball against the side of the dome.

WHOOO HOOO LONIE PAXTON UPDATE!

# The quarterbacks were involved in an interesting drill during practice — fielding ground balls and tossing the baseball back toward the wall of the dome.
“Just trying to get quick feet, quick hands and get the ball out,” Orton explained.

Or maybe they were holding tryouts for their softball league?

# Plenty of fans seem to be interested in how the linebacker corps is taking shape this offseason. Here’s one update — Wesley Woodyard said he’s been taking some repetitions at inside linebacker when the team runs a 3-4. He said it’s not much different from the role he played last season — “just flying around, making plays,” he said. It seems to be working out so far — during 7-on-7 drills he read a route the whole way, jumped it and returned an interception to the endzone, which resulted in plenty of shouting from the defensive sideline.
# A couple of new faces took some snaps with the linebackers during 7-on-7 drills as well, including Elvis Dumervil and Tim Crowder.

Until real LB's are drafted next week, being forced into changing positions this far into their career is a red flag that they could be released.

Now that this mini-camp is over, the team can look foward to the NFL Draft, which starts this Saturday.

“I think it’s always exciting when you get an opportunity to add good football players to your team, whether it be through free agency or the draft,” McDaniels said. “The draft offers a lot of good young players and we’re looking forward to the ones that are going to end up as Broncos here after seven or eight days.”

Or - I cannot wait to get rid of the crap I was left with and bring in my guys!

The McStalin participating in drills is scary. It smacks of Mike Tice dressing out for practice. That was lame.

If McStalin was sooo good a playing all the positions then why didn't he play in the NFL? I am guessing he cannot communicate what he wants done and wants to humiliate his position assistants and remind everyone who is running the show.

I was glad to get football info though! I cannot wait for next week!

broncosteven
04-19-2009, 06:47 PM
I would have liked to know who the no shows were or if it was 100% attendance.

TheDave
04-19-2009, 06:48 PM
I would have liked to know who the no shows were or if it was 100% attendance.

I heard it was 100% minus Marshall who is still recovering from his hip surgery.

bpc
04-19-2009, 06:52 PM
WW, hopefully our very own Mike Singletary.

I don't see Crowder working out at LB. Did they specify OLB or MLB?

broncosteven
04-19-2009, 06:57 PM
WW, hopefully our very own Mike Singletary.

I don't see Crowder working out at LB. Did they specify OLB or MLB?

I am guessing Crowder/Moss/Doom are not on opening day roster. Depends on who we draft though.

broncosteven
04-19-2009, 06:58 PM
I heard it was 100% minus Marshall who is still recovering from his hip surgery.

Fear is a great motivator sometimes.

WABronco
04-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Or, you know, maybe the players like being around "the guys" and figured it was a good idea to attend with the new coaching staff and all.

gyldenlove
04-19-2009, 08:21 PM
WW is just a player. He has solid instincts and is versatile something that Mcdaniels values a lot, he has great hustle and that means a lot in a LB.

BroncoMan4ever
04-19-2009, 08:42 PM
Interesting. At 240 with moderate physical play DJ probably could play SSL over the TE in a 3-4. I do feel to pull it off though we would need a bigger more physical strongside DE. Maybe that will be Marcus Thomas? but bigger Dends would be needed. Obviously a big NT at least for depth would also need to be drafted.

Also is Woodyard Physical enough to make a difference inside in a 3-4? He could have some trouble getting through the big olineman.

i think Peterson is going to surprise a lot of people and be a pretty good 3-4 DE and with him and a guy like Tyson Jackson on the opposite side, and with Thomas and Powell in a rotation, we are going to have some size on the ends, just need that guy in the middle.

i think Brace, Hill or someone like that could join a rotation with Fields and do alright and with their size leave our LBs namely Woodyard in the middle and DJ on the strong side to do their jobs and not have to worry as much about shedding blockers.

BroncoMan4ever
04-19-2009, 08:43 PM

Woodyard has the physicality and desire to make up for being a little light weight. i think he will be fine

BroncoMan4ever
04-19-2009, 08:46 PM
I am guessing Crowder/Moss/Doom are not on opening day roster. Depends on who we draft though.

i think you may be right about Crowder and Moss.

unless Doom is traded on draft day he will remain on the roster

Popps
04-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Great to hear about Woodyard. There's no way to keep that guy off the field. He's too instinctual. I'm a little skeptical about him on the inside, but I wouldn't bet against him anywhere.

Archer81
04-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Great to hear about Woodyard. There's no way to keep that guy off the field. He's too instinctual. I'm a little skeptical about him on the inside, but I wouldn't bet against him anywhere.

He actually is pretty similar to Al Wilson is height/weight, so he should be OK inside. Getting excited about the possibilities with our linebackers and DEs.

:Broncos:

BMarsh615
04-19-2009, 09:48 PM
If Crowder is getting more looks than Jarvis Moss at OLB it is official.... Jarvis Moss is a bust.

cutthemdown
04-19-2009, 10:50 PM
He actually is pretty similar to Al Wilson is height/weight, so he should be OK inside. Getting excited about the possibilities with our linebackers and DEs.

:Broncos:

here is why your logic doesn't hold up. Al Wilson was a little bit small but he played big and made it work. Ask Al Wilson if he would have liked to play 10-15 pounds less and he would tell you no.

Woodyard may not hold up playing full time on any defense. He's sort of small and IMO will end up on special teams, and as a bkup linebacker.

ZONA
04-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Woodyard is too small to be a starting LB, period. We don't even have to discuss it. He just needs to pack on 10 more pounds of muscle and that's all there is to it. I love the kids play but he probably knew this at the end of last year. If he's not up to 240 yet then WTF is his problem. Does he seriously think he's going to get a lagit chance to start at LB running out there at 230 soaking wet? Gimme a break.

Interesting thought, I have not heard of any kickers being talked about in the draft or FA, McD must see something he likes in Prater.

Killericon
04-19-2009, 11:27 PM
The McStalin participating in drills is scary. It smacks of Mike Tice dressing out for practice. That was lame.

It worked out pretty well for Gruden.

BroncoMan4ever
04-20-2009, 12:06 AM
Woodyard is too small to be a starting LB, period. We don't even have to discuss it. He just needs to pack on 10 more pounds of muscle and that's all there is to it. I love the kids play but he probably knew this at the end of last year. If he's not up to 240 yet then WTF is his problem. Does he seriously think he's going to get a lagit chance to start at LB running out there at 230 soaking wet? Gimme a break.

Interesting thought, I have not heard of any kickers being talked about in the draft or FA, McD must see something he likes in Prater.

i remember reading in an article someone posted here, that McDaniels likes Prater's leg and thinks his mental mistakes last season could be overcome, but that he would bring in competition to Training Camp.

Drek
04-20-2009, 03:37 AM
Plenty of fans seem to be interested in how the linebacker corps is taking shape this offseason. Here’s one update — Wesley Woodyard said he’s been taking some repetitions at inside linebacker when the team runs a 3-4.
Saw this coming. Notice how they specify "when the team runs a 3-4" though? Its going to be a hybrid and WW will probably be the WOLB in the 4-3, moving inside when a weakside DE like Doom or Moss drops back for the 3-4.

He said it’s not much different from the role he played last season — “just flying around, making plays,” he said.
This is what I've been saying about Nolan's system, one ILB gets to range and make plays while the other is the gap filler who controls traffic.

A couple of new faces took some snaps with the linebackers during 7-on-7 drills as well, including Elvis Dumervil and Tim Crowder.
Dumervil has said he's taken some time at LB, but I saw Crowder shifting back as well. Physically he's a poor man's Adalius Thomas, and Nolan was key to Thomas' development. He might not be able to play any LB spot like Thomas could, but I think he could develop into a solid rotational pass rusher if someone can teach him alternatives to the bull rush.

My only wonder is why Moss wasn't mentioned with the LBs. Is it because he already started taking some time there last year? Just a writer's omission? He seems like possibly our best OLB conversion as he was considered a prime candidate for the job coming out of college as it was.

I'm 2 for 2 so far this off-season (WW at ILB, Crowder at LB), now I just need someone to confirm DJ playing SOLB. :D

socalorado
04-20-2009, 06:46 AM
Saw this coming. Notice how they specify "when the team runs a 3-4" though? Its going to be a hybrid and WW will probably be the WOLB in the 4-3, moving inside when a weakside DE like Doom or Moss drops back for the 3-4.

This is what I've been saying about Nolan's system, one ILB gets to range and make plays while the other is the gap filler who controls traffic.

Dumervil has said he's taken some time at LB, but I saw Crowder shifting back as well. Physically he's a poor man's Adalius Thomas, and Nolan was key to Thomas' development. He might not be able to play any LB spot like Thomas could, but I think he could develop into a solid rotational pass rusher if someone can teach him alternatives to the bull rush.

My only wonder is why Moss wasn't mentioned with the LBs. Is it because he already started taking some time there last year? Just a writer's omission? He seems like possibly our best OLB conversion as he was considered a prime candidate for the job coming out of college as it was.

I'm 2 for 2 so far this off-season (WW at ILB, Crowder at LB), now I just need someone to confirm DJ playing SOLB. :D

Waaay too optomistic with these players. No mention of Moss whatsoever.
Bust. Crowder at OLB? Jeez, thats got "last chance" written all over it.
Doom will have a tough time even staying on the roster.
These guys just dont have the ability of WWIII or the instincts. I will be suprised if Moss, Crowder and Doom are on the team come preseason.
WWIII and Larsen have proven themselves worthy of roster spots, as LBS and STs players. Backups at the least. MAybe Doom...

Man-Goblin
04-20-2009, 06:55 AM
People who think the only player on the roster that has produced double digit sacks and knows how to force turnovers is going to get cut are funny. Funny like clowns, court jesters and fart jokes; not funny in an intelligent kinda way.

2KBack
04-20-2009, 06:56 AM

He's almost the same size as Larry Foote, and he's done just fine

Drek
04-20-2009, 06:59 AM
Waaay too optomistic with these players. No mention of Moss whatsoever.
Bust. Crowder at OLB? Jeez, thats got "last chance" written all over it.
Doom will have a tough time even staying on the roster.
These guys just dont have the ability of WWIII or the instincts. I will be suprised if Moss, Crowder and Doom are on the team come preseason.
WWIII and Larsen have proven themselves worthy of roster spots, as LBS and STs players. Backups at the least. MAybe Doom...

Doom did more as a rookie than Woodyard and Larsen have combined to accomplish in their NFL careers. He'll be on the team and play an integral role in our pass rush.

They'll all be on the roster at the start of preseason and I'd expect at least two of the three (Doom as a lock) to make it on the opening day roster.

Just because you've lost faith in a couple of guys who only have limited time in the NFL doesn't mean the coaching staff doesn't see some raw talent there to work with. If they had so little regard for Crowder and Moss they wouldn't be on the team right now, and they definitely wouldn't be putting in the effort to try bringing them along in new roles.

The only guy who might play OLB that we signed in FA was Darrell Reid. Lets see who we draft this weekend. If we don't take a pass rusher high that should be a pretty big tell as to what the coaching staff thinks of the current options on the roster.

barryr
04-20-2009, 06:59 AM
Actually, I believed Crowder would only make it on this team if able to play OLB. He isn't big enough to play on the DL in a 3-4. He and Dumervil will need to show they can at least handle pass coverage decently, if just even in a zone.

MagicHef
04-20-2009, 07:18 AM
Yikes. I'm very glad that people on this board have no control over the personnel on the team.

Drek
04-20-2009, 07:33 AM
Actually, I believed Crowder would only make it on this team if able to play OLB. He isn't big enough to play on the DL in a 3-4. He and Dumervil will need to show they can at least handle pass coverage decently, if just even in a zone.

We aren't going to play a straight 3-4 though. It'll be a hybrid and Crowder will be able to fit a lot of roles.

The biggest thing Crowder and Moss need to show is the ability to learn. They both have the raw physical talent, but they're both very raw fundamentally. The coaching staff is likely to try them at as many different roles as possible and see how quickly they handle the adjustments. They don't need to be ready for a starting role or even heavy rotational job, but they need to show that with superior coaching they're at least making progress towards the mental understanding needed to improve.

Dumervil to me is a lock not just to make the team, but to play a lot of downs. He's as smart as they come at the DE/OLB position and is fundamentally one of the top 10 most refined pass rushers in the NFL. He is probably never going to be a coverage stud, but he'll be able to play his role in the scheme a la Willie McGinest or Terrell Suggs on the few passing downs where they don't want him attacking the QB. Thats all he'll need to find a home at the WOLB/weakside DE spot in our 3-4/4-3 hybrid.

TheReverend
04-20-2009, 07:50 AM

You're so full of **** it's ridiculous.

I TOLD YOU that WW would play ILB and DJ was an OLB, and you argued against me on that.

Here's one thread:

Woodyard is the tough call to me. He doesn't really look like he could handle ILB and I don't think he's a very natural fit at safety either. We'd basically be relegating him to special teams unless he shows something unexpected.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=75960&page=4&highlight=thomas

If you want to keep up this "DJ at OLB" was my idea, then I'll be happy to pull up that thread as well where you argued with me for PAGES that DJ couldn't play OLB in a 3-4 and that he would be inside, you ****ing poser.

Drek
04-20-2009, 08:15 AM

I TOLD YOU that WW would play ILB and DJ was an OLB, and you argued against me on that.

Here's one thread:

If you want to keep up this "DJ at OLB" was my idea, then I'll be happy to pull up that thread as well where you argued with me for PAGES that DJ couldn't play OLB in a 3-4 and that he would be inside, you ****ing poser.

Actually, early on thats what I was expecting, but if you'd looked at what I've posted over the last, oh, two months, I've been saying that I wouldn't be surprised if our starting LBs in the 3-4 where Doom, Woodyard, Davis/Larsen, DJ. It isn't ideal of course, and before I was largely arguing off the perspective of Aaron Curry being a fringe top 5 pick that we could have made a move up for (hence my pick for Denver in the mock draft). Since then he's got himself locked in as a high selection and our FA shopping didn't yield a single every down DL (NT or 5-tech) so we don't have the flexibility to pony up for someone like Curry and need to make due with what we have.

Opinions change man. At first I had pretty low hopes for Doom in the new defense because coming out of school he said he wasn't a big fan of being considered a 3-4 OLB. Of late though he sounds like he's really bought into Nolan's scheme and how he personally fits into it. For someone with the high level fundamental understanding of the game that Dumervil has thats half the battle. New information changed my opinion, just like the various other off-season moves and non-moves have changed my opinion on where we'll be utilizing guys like Woodyard and DJ.

Karenin
04-20-2009, 08:19 AM

If McStalin was sooo good a playing all the positions then why didn't he play in the NFL? I am guessing he cannot communicate what he wants done and wants to humiliate his position assistants and remind everyone who is running the show.

Please tell me this is satire and you haven't actually become this much of a shallow self-parody.

socalorado
04-20-2009, 08:25 AM

Here's one thread:

Yeah, this could have gotten ugly.

TheReverend
04-20-2009, 08:28 AM
Actually, early on thats what I was expecting, but if you'd looked at what I've posted over the last, oh, two months, I've been saying that I wouldn't be surprised if our starting LBs in the 3-4 where Doom, Woodyard, Davis/Larsen, DJ. It isn't ideal of course, and before I was largely arguing off the perspective of Aaron Curry being a fringe top 5 pick that we could have made a move up for (hence my pick for Denver in the mock draft). Since then he's got himself locked in as a high selection and our FA shopping didn't yield a single every down DL (NT or 5-tech) so we don't have the flexibility to pony up for someone like Curry and need to make due with what we have.

Opinions change man. At first I had pretty low hopes for Doom in the new defense because coming out of school he said he wasn't a big fan of being considered a 3-4 OLB. Of late though he sounds like he's really bought into Nolan's scheme and how he personally fits into it. For someone with the high level fundamental understanding of the game that Dumervil has thats half the battle. New information changed my opinion, just like the various other off-season moves and non-moves have changed my opinion on where we'll be utilizing guys like Woodyard and DJ.

This response is every bit as douchey as every post you make. I've never read an original post from you.

"Opinions change". Sure they do. It's just funny that you felt the need to argue with me for pages about the issues you're trying to take credit for now. Any other posts of mine you'd like to rip off?

Here's a good one:

Well out of 4 linebacker spots, we have what that could manage?

You're a fan of DJ Williams, so where do you think he fits? Because even his supporters have to believe he's definitely NOT suited to be inside in a 3-4 where you need to be part defensive tackle suited to taking on blockers and playing in traffic or AT LEAST have that mentality. DJ's a dancer when he's not blitzing. I figure he MIGHT be able to play OLB because he's a pretty good blitzer, good size, and would be useful in coverage.

So MAYBE we have one spot filled. Then we need to hope that Doom or Moss can be effective? Doom maybe, but Moss? How can you be effective standing up when you can't in a down stance?

So we need to just be hopeful that we can nail:
Two solid noses
Thomas and Robertson transition effectively
DJ, Larsen, Woodyard can find a spot
At LEAST ONE more ILB that can thump

...and that's before addressing the safety position and getting some decent corner depth for our injury prone aging starters.

Your response, which is a lot funnier these days:

Lets do a front seven break down for each, since safety is a need regardless.

4-3
LDE: Dumervil (but only on passing downs)
NT: ???
UT: Thomas
RDE: ???
WLB: DJ
MLB: Larsen?
SLB: Boss?

3-4
LDE: Peterson?
NT: ???
RDE: Thomas
WOLB: Dumervil/Moss?
WILB: DJ
SILB: Larsen?
SOLB: Boss? Crowder?

DJ became pretty comfortable at MLB by the end of 2007. He wasn't great there but he did a solid job. He's obviously most comfortable at WLB. Thankfully the WILB job in the 3-4 is a combination of the two, a position he'd probably fit into quite well.

Dumervil's only chance to be an every down player in the NFL is to either 1. play with the biggest, baddest hog mollies to ever man a DT tandem with a fierce run stopping OLB behind him or 2. change to a 3-4 OLB. So I don't see how we're losing anything by taking the risk that he can be an every down guy in that system, versus the situational pass rush DE that nearly every team we played this year neutralized without much work.

Thomas has been misused his entire time here, I think he's equally fit for the UT 4-3 role as he is a 3-4 DE role.

That basically goes over the three "keepers" in our front seven right there.

And again, Robertson is gone. His cap number is stupid, he won't be back.

I'm guessing your problem comes from thinking that both ILBs in a 3-4 play the same role, and that both DTs in a 4-3 play the same role. They don't, and if you don't have guys who fit the specific needs of their repsective part of that tandem then you don't have a productive defense.

Case in point, the problem with our DTs isn't that Robertson and Thomas are both horrible, but that neither one is suited to being a straight up run stuffing gap controller. They're both penetrating DTs. By not having a guy who can play the 4-3 NT position we end up forcing two UTs into the lineup and neither of them can play effectively as a result.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=76408&page=6&highlight=OLB

FYI, that's also the thread where I brought up this new hybrid D. Another post of MINE that you're currently ripping off.

TheReverend
04-20-2009, 08:33 AM
You're adorable on page eight of that thread, Drek. Almost as cute as when my 5 yr old daughter tries to act like she knows what she's talking about.

Tombstone RJ
04-20-2009, 08:35 AM
All I know is that this defense does have some talent. It's not totally devoid of play makers.

Mogulseeker
04-20-2009, 08:40 AM
This response is every bit as douchey as every post you make. I've never read an original post from you.

"Opinions change". Sure they do. It's just funny that you felt the need to argue with me for pages about the issues you're trying to take credit for now. Any other posts of mine you'd like to rip off?

Here's a good one:

Your response, which is a lot funnier these days:

FYI, that's also the thread where I brought up this new hybrid D. Another post of MINE that you're currently ripping off.

Well if you originaly posted that, I wouldn't take too much pride in the fact that *you* put Dumervil at LDE and Thomas at RDE.

:thumbsup:

Anywho, I hope we pick up Raji.... My defense wont be the actual one, but I'd like to try this on for size:

3-4
LDE - Thomas
NT - Fields
RDE - Peterson... Powell?

WOLB - Dumervil
WILB - Davis
SILB - Larsen
SOLB - Williams (why not put him at his natural position?)

LCB - Bailey
RCB - Goodman
FS - Dawkins
SS - Woodyard

NB - Hill

We're stacked at LB, but other than DJ and Dumervil, I don't think we have any SOLID starters in the 3-4. Larsen and Woodyard both brought it last year, and will be great utility guys. I still hold that Woodyard would make a Pro-Bowl caliber SS.

Obviously Safety will be our most imporved position so far. Goodman-Bly is a wash, but I think Goodman comes cheaper. I just think we need a beast at NT. A beast like Raji.

TheReverend
04-20-2009, 08:42 AM
Well if you originaly posted that, I wouldn't take too much pride in the fact that *you* put Dumervil at LDE and Thomas at RDE.
:thumbsup:

Anywho, I hope we pick up Raji.... My defense wont be the actual one, but I'd like to try this on for size:

3-4
LDE - Thomas
NT - Fields
RDE - Peterson... Powell?

WOLB - Dumervil
WILB - Davis
SILB - Larsen
SOLB - Williams (why not put him at his natural position?)

LCB - Bailey
RCB - Goodman
FS - Dawkins
SS - Woodyard

NB - Hill

We're stacked at LB, but other than DJ and Dumervil, I don't think we have any SOLID starters in the 3-4. Larsen and Woodyard both brought it last year, and will be great utility guys. I still hold that Woodyard would make a Pro-Bowl caliber SS.

You should learn how to read. You're another ****ing moron who should just shut up.

Mogulseeker
04-20-2009, 08:43 AM
You should learn how to read. You're another ****ing moron who should just shut up.

I was trying to defend you, dude.

TheReverend
04-20-2009, 08:45 AM
I was trying to defend you, dude.

Drek had Dumervil playing LDE under his 4-3 projections.

Tombstone RJ
04-20-2009, 08:49 AM
The Rev's a little touchy. Probably needs his third cup of joe...

TheReverend
04-20-2009, 08:51 AM

No... it really pisses me off when you spend weeks arguing something with someone, and then a couple months later they try to pass off what they were arguing against as their idea. And this is with MULTIPLE things.

baja
04-20-2009, 08:52 AM

Not to worry Drek you are the new Slap (knowledgeable football man) without the slap and Rev is somewhat narcissistic, he gets his feel good by trying to show up other posters.

PS Ask him how he lost Survivor. ;D

socalorado
04-20-2009, 08:56 AM

Nah, this "discussion" goes back pretty far.
The REV noted that WWIII was just an all around playmaker, and should continue to be a starter, which was an argued topic in its own right. Then theres the Nolan hybrid which just added fuel to the ongoing thread.

Mogulseeker
04-20-2009, 09:02 AM

It's still a bad idea to put Doom at any LDE position.

Drek
04-20-2009, 09:12 AM

I've been thinking we'd go hybrid since just about the day after Nolan got hired, prior to the Super Bowl, when he was on Sirius talking at length about the Cards' defense, how it lets them mask weak positions, and how he's seen it up close and personal being in the NFC West for the last few years. You could almost hear him drawing the parallels between their defensive players and what he's got to work with now in Denver.

For the record, I still don't think DJ at SOLB and Woodyard at ILB is the best fit for either of them in the grand scheme of the NFL's various defenses. But its the best use of the current talent on our roster. That isn't ideal and maybe it'll be remedied some in the draft, but ultimately they're two of the better all around talents on the D so you got to fit them in somewhere and hope they find a way to produce.

I would have preferred filling holes better than we have been able to, but the front seven FA market was particularly dry this year and what good options where out there have now pretty universally gotten overpaid. Aaron Curry failed to disappoint and has probably priced himself out of our reach. We don't have many better options, so it is what it is.

Smiling Assassin27
04-20-2009, 09:13 AM
Lonny Paxton snapped the ball to Brett Kern, who held for Prater, and the kicker simply booted the ball against the side of the dome.

Paxton: Hike! $10,000....Hike! $20,000....

TheReverend
04-20-2009, 09:18 AM
I've been thinking we'd go hybrid since just about the day after Nolan got hired, prior to the Super Bowl, when he was on Sirius talking at length about the Cards' defense, how it lets them mask weak positions, and how he's seen it up close and personal being in the NFC West for the last few years. You could almost hear him drawing the parallels between their defensive players and what he's got to work with now in Denver.

For the record, I still don't think DJ at SOLB and Woodyard at ILB is the best fit for either of them in the grand scheme of the NFL's various defenses. But its the best use of the current talent on our roster. That isn't ideal and maybe it'll be remedied some in the draft, but ultimately they're two of the better all around talents on the D so you got to fit them in somewhere and hope they find a way to produce.

I would have preferred filling holes better than we have been able to, but the front seven FA market was particularly dry this year and what good options where out there have now pretty universally gotten overpaid. Aaron Curry failed to disappoint and has probably priced himself out of our reach. We don't have many better options, so it is what it is.

Sure you have.

After the Nolan hire, RE me talking about a hybrid D:

I get what you're saying but we don't have what it takes to play a 4-3 either.

Our front seven is going to suck regardless until we find some talent, draft or FA, and I don't see us going after Haynesworth. So if we know the interior of our DL is going to suck we might as well start getting the rest of the team into the 3-4 as well so when we finally get the right NT we hit the ground running.

Broncos_OTM
04-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Crowder is somewhat the forgotten man, and it would be a surprise if he could play OLB. I think most people had him pegged as a 5 tech in the new system.

Not if you look at Nolans preferance. He prefers heavier Dlineman 300-325 range NT types. so by logical conclusion if crowdrer makes the team its at LB. I hope he can beat out Reid.

Surpriseing noone mentioned moss imagine that.

Drek
04-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Sure you have.

After the Nolan hire, RE me talking about a hybrid D:

And?

We aren't going to stay a hybrid forever, we'll build towards a straight up 3-4, but on the way there it'll be a hybrid D for several years.

Its what the Ravens did when Nolan transitioned them. Its what the Pats did when Belichick went back there as well (after they had been transitioned out of the 3-4 Parcells installed previously).

The end game should be a straight 3-4, but we'll take several years to fully realize it.

Just more out of context bull**** Rev. I guess you're still real butt hurt about all the off-season change.

penguintheory
04-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Orton overthrowing??

TheReverend
04-20-2009, 11:33 AM
And?

We aren't going to stay a hybrid forever, we'll build towards a straight up 3-4, but on the way there it'll be a hybrid D for several years.

Its what the Ravens did when Nolan transitioned them. Its what the Pats did when Belichick went back there as well (after they had been transitioned out of the 3-4 Parcells installed previously).

The end game should be a straight 3-4, but we'll take several years to fully realize it.

Just more out of context bull**** Rev. I guess you're still real butt hurt about all the off-season change.

Are you kidding me?

That's the main theme of my thread that your arguing with me in! :rofl: you just ripped another!

Brilliant! Douche bags like you are the reason great posters keep this strictly to making jokes and some e-social interaction.

Would you like me to start PMing you ideas so you can just post them as yours a month down the road, or do you want to stick with the current arrangement?

Rock Chalk
04-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Ooh, Rev is a firecracker today. Must have saw the clip of Cutler singing at the Cubs game and got all butt hurt cuz he aint doing it at a rockies game.

Tombstone RJ
04-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Are you kidding me?

That's the main theme of my thread that your arguing with me in! :rofl: you just ripped another!

Brilliant! Douche bags like you are the reason great posters keep this strictly to making jokes and some e-social interaction.

Would you like me to start PMing you ideas so you can just post them as yours a month down the road, or do you want to stick with the current arrangement?

Actually, if you guys just pm each other, the rest of us won't have to suffer so much... just saying...

Rock Chalk
04-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Are you kidding me?

Not for nothing Rev, but most people around here have suspected a hybrid D for at least a year or two until we can make a full transition.

That is not your idea either and you cannot lay sole claim to it. You are not original.

barryr
04-20-2009, 11:42 AM
It would be great if Moss could help at OLB. Having a 6'6, 260lb guy with good speed come flying in off the edge would be great. If he can stay healthy of course.

baja
04-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Ooh, Rev is a firecracker today. Must have saw the clip of Cutler singing at the Cubs game and got all butt hurt cuz he aint doing it at a rockies game.

Damn here is another memo you failed to read, Rev is the only poster around here that is capable of an innovative idea or the ability to distill an reasonable summation from known facts. Here is a reprint of the memo;

Memo - all good ideas were first thought of by Rev. That is all.

Rohirrim
04-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Damn here is another memo you failed to read, Rev is the only poster around here that is capable of an innovative idea or the ability to distill an reasonable summation from known facts. Here is a reprint of the memo;

I'm waiting for his next gem. :rofl:

Rock Chalk
04-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Revs just mad because he has to become a Bear fan now is all.

Leave him be. He will come to terms with it.

TheReverend
04-20-2009, 12:06 PM
This is fantastic. Can you guys get Popps in here so all you douchebags can hang out in one area?

TheReverend
04-20-2009, 12:10 PM

Hey, douche, you do realize that's not what this is about, no?

You're capable of reading and seeing that the point of this is that Drek argued those points AGAINST me a couple months back, and now claims they're his ideas.

butttttttt what would baja know about anything that doesn't involve running away or being a huge pussy?

TheReverend
04-20-2009, 12:11 PM
Not for nothing Rev, but most people around here have suspected a hybrid D for at least a year or two until we can make a full transition.

That is not your idea either and you cannot lay sole claim to it. You are not original.

Not for nothing, Alec, but flip through that thread and figure out where these "most people" were.

Edit: Thread link to make it easier for you:

summerdenver
04-20-2009, 12:11 PM

To be fair most people on the board (myself - guilty as charged) thought we will make full commitment to 3-4 this year as we are rebuilding anyway. IIRC, Rev was one of the first to propose a hybrid and spent lot of time defending the idea. I almost bought into it by the end of it.

My position still is that if we get Raji or Brace we will start full time conversion to 3-4 and won't play much hybrid this year.

Hotrod
04-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Oh my

http://s335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/commentsbar1/pic8/GFXqPxTD16070p_11.jpg

Cito Pelon
04-20-2009, 02:14 PM
You're adorable on page eight of that thread, Drek. Almost as cute as when my 5 yr old daughter tries to act like she knows what she's talking about.

You tend to be ridiculous a lot, Rev. Give it a rest.

Broncos_OTM
04-20-2009, 02:33 PM
DJ is effective at SLB in a 4-3. But you guys want to play him at SOLB man i just think that is bad news. He is to light to anchor where he would be asked to play more against Tackles then in a 4-3 where he went agsint te's and fullbacks.

WILB is basically the will spot and i think is DJ's best position.

Jarvis Moss. i feel is the odd man out thus far.

I really think our previous coaches didnt know how to use crowder and make him a better player.

Doom is a lock.

The only thing i think is a bit of a surprise is WW playing LB i thought the coaching staff would have converted him to safety.

Darrell Reid i think might take the SOLB spot at this point.

Broncos_OTM
04-20-2009, 02:41 PM

Hey Dumervil played a little bit of LDE in pass rush situations last year but a bunch in o7. I think DUmervil is the lDE in pass rush situations at this point. can he play the position all 3 downs hell no.

cutthemdown
04-20-2009, 02:42 PM
DJ is effective at SLB in a 4-3. But you guys want to play him at SOLB man i just think that is bad news. He is to light to anchor where he would be asked to play more against Tackles then in a 4-3 where he went agsint te's and fullbacks.

WILB is basically the will spot and i think is DJ's best position.

Jarvis Moss. i feel is the odd man out thus far.

I really think our previous coaches didnt know how to use crowder and make him a better player.

Doom is a lock.

The only thing i think is a bit of a surprise is WW playing LB i thought the coaching staff would have converted him to safety.

Darrell Reid i think might take the SOLB spot at this point.

I think you are probably right about DJ not being big enough to play outside in a 3-4. He maybe could if we had a mammoth Dend that played on the strong side. Really though you would like those outside linebackers to be more like 260+ with a stout build.

azbroncfan
04-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Oddly enough we move from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and it looks like we have an over abundance of LB's.

Maybe but I wouldn't call them an over abundance of quality starting LB's.

baja
04-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Hey, douche, you do realize that's not what this is about, no?

You're capable of reading and seeing that the point of this is that Drek argued those points AGAINST me a couple months back, and now claims they're his ideas.

butttttttt what would baja know about anything that doesn't involve running away or being a huge p***Y?

LOL Do you sputter when you type? Is your key board water proof?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Y8m29ZLX5ag/SKfCfDtG72I/AAAAAAAABUQ/UdgRRmAXpzU/s400/TASMANIAN+DEVIL+COLOR+ART.jpg