PDA

View Full Version : OT: The Call

chickennob2
04-19-2009, 02:02 AM
This surely can't live up to the First Breakup thread, but I feel like alot of you may have been in this situation.

I'm 1400 miles away from home for college, although the distance doesn't really matter. Had a terrible week. Failed at least one of my three tests this week, bombed a job interview. You know how that goes. So I went out, did some dumb things. Look at my phone when I get home and see I missed a call from my parents. "It's probably nothing, right? I'll call them back tomorrow."

This morning, I'm woken up by the ringing of my phone. I look down, see it's my mother calling, and get a little apprehensive. I pick it up. "I've got some really bad news... "

I knew immediately what it was. I've lost all but one of my grandparents. If it had been my father or brother, she would have called everyone in the damn boston area code to get someone in touch with me. Had it been a close high school friend, I would have heard first from one of my buddies. Nope, I knew as soon as I picked up the phone what it was about. It was the call I had been dreading since I left home.

Yesterday, they had to put Boomer down. He couldn't stand up. They took him to the vet. Discovered a huge tumor that had caused fluid to build up around his heart. They were told he had less than 24 hours. He was in pain. There was only one thing they could do.

but damn it sucks. And I feel bad about the way I've reacted. I mean ****, there are people in a hell of a lot worse situations, with far worse things happening to them every day. But he was my dog. We got him when I was 7. I grew up with him. It just really hit me hard.

You guys ever been there?

slyinky
04-19-2009, 02:44 AM
You shouldn't feel bad about mourning the loss of a pet. I lost a lot of people close to me at a young age and even after going through all that I still took the loss of my childhood pets pretty hard. Never a good thing to ignore your grief.

cutthemdown
04-19-2009, 03:00 AM
Freja- Female Norwegian Elkhound- 1973-1984
Kasey- Male Golden Retriever- 1986-1998

Cried for both those dogs they were great dogs.

watermock
04-19-2009, 03:08 AM
Frankly, your'e more worried about your tests and dog than your grandma.

Your seeing your grandma as a chore rarther than as an honor.

A funeral is a place to see long forgotten relatives.

cutthemdown
04-19-2009, 04:12 AM
Mock are you drunk?

Captain 'Dre
04-19-2009, 07:22 AM
This surely can't live up to the First Breakup thread, but I feel like alot of you may have been in this situation.

I'm 1400 miles away from home for college, although the distance doesn't really matter. Had a terrible week. Failed at least one of my three tests this week, bombed a job interview. You know how that goes. So I went out, did some dumb things. Look at my phone when I get home and see I missed a call from my parents. "It's probably nothing, right? I'll call them back tomorrow."

This morning, I'm woken up by the ringing of my phone. I look down, see it's my mother calling, and get a little apprehensive. I pick it up. "I've got some really bad news... "

I knew immediately what it was. I've lost all but one of my grandparents. If it had been my father or brother, she would have called everyone in the damn boston area code to get someone in touch with me. Had it been a close high school friend, I would have heard first from one of my buddies. Nope, I knew as soon as I picked up the phone what it was about. It was the call I had been dreading since I left home.

Yesterday, they had to put Boomer down. He couldn't stand up. They took him to the vet. Discovered a huge tumor that had caused fluid to build up around his heart. They were told he had less than 24 hours. He was in pain. There was only one thing they could do.

but damn it sucks. And I feel bad about the way I've reacted. I mean ****, there are people in a hell of a lot worse situations, with far worse things happening to them every day. But he was my dog. We got him when I was 7. I grew up with him. It just really hit me hard.

Hey, man... Sorry you lost your dog. That hurts.

To paraphrase a quote I saw one time... "I like all dogs better than most people."

Just because they aren't "people" doesn't mean you don't have a relationship with them.

Condolences.

Pony Boy
04-19-2009, 07:50 AM
My dad once told me, son you can have a dog but just remember someday you will lose that dog. He said it was up to me to decide if having a dog for several years was worth the short time it would hurt when I lose it. He left the decision up to me.

Oh and Montrose, that tidbit of information works on girlfriends too !

bronco610
04-19-2009, 08:33 AM
Lost my Lady Ashlie (cocker spaniel) last year it sucks. She was like my child / best friend. It's okay to mourn them. As someone posted earlier I like dogs a lot better than most people.

lazarus4444
04-19-2009, 10:52 AM
I lost my childhood pet when i was in college too. Actually, i still haven't gotten another dog 11 years later. Probably will get another one in a year or two.

baja
04-19-2009, 11:21 AM
While living in the mountains of Colorado I had three German Shepherds, this was back when you could let your dogs run lose and I lived on 5 acres at the edge of a small town anyway. The three dogs would run for a few hours and always come back at dusk well one evening only two of them came back. I looked all over, walked for miles and miles calling her name. I had just about given up when one day a visiting brother of a friend of mine came over and said he heard I lost my dog and that he came across a German Shepherd that had her head wedged between two rocks and was trapped. He tired to help her but she would not let him near her. He took me to where she was and she was in real bad shape but alive I carried her back home. Flies had laid eggs in her eyes and ears so she had maggots eating her eyes and into her ears. i got her home and tried to clean her up and rehydrate her but she died in my arms a short time later. little has affected me more deeply than the death of that dog. I feel for you in your grief. When you lose a good dog it is like losing your best friend.

baja
04-19-2009, 11:24 AM
PS It would be good if the poster that posted the image of the stuffed dog to delete the post and give a thought for the grief of others.

Bronx33
04-19-2009, 11:57 AM

I had to put down my best friend/ border collie of 15 years i was the hardest thing i ever had to do and i don't think that feeling will ever leave you but you had alot of great times and a wonderful relationship that only you and your dog shared. I had to put manny down 8 years ago and i still think about him and i got kinda misty eyed just typing this. ( life goes on brother)

broncolife
04-19-2009, 12:33 PM
I work at a vet. Everytime we put a pet to sleep and see clients crying it brings back memories of when I put my pets down. I almost want to cry with them. A couple of techs have cried with them. I feel pets are like our children. It sucks to see a pet you raised be put down. I cried every single time when I put my rats(12) to sleep. I dont get rats anymore since thier lifespan is so short. I cried when I put my 2 dogs to sleep. I am definatly going to cry whenever I put my cats to sleep. Wierd thing is I never cried when my grandma and uncle died.

SureShot
04-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Get drunk and bang some strange, you will feel a lot better.

baja
04-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Get drunk and bang some strange, you will feel a lot better.

Either you have no heart or have no dog.

SureShot
04-19-2009, 01:36 PM
Either you have no heart or have no dog.

:rofl: No I lost my dog when I was senior in high school and I havent had one since, it was tough. I just went with my standard advice it works pretty well.

cutthemdown
04-19-2009, 02:40 PM
:rofl: No I lost my dog when I was senior in high school and I havent had one since, it was tough. I just went with my standard advice it works pretty well.

It may not help, but it couldn't hurt.

orangeatheist
04-19-2009, 03:54 PM
My first pet loss was a German shepherd I had since I was 4. She lived until I was 19. It crushed me pretty bad, but she died a real "good" death. Just woke up one morning, went out for a drink of water, came back in, circled her rug and laid down. Dad was there. Said she just suddenly started sputtering and died (heart attack). We buried her in the backyard.

Had a cat a few years later. He lived about 12 years. Had to put him to sleep which was a tough/easy decision. He'd gotten kidney failure and I knew it was time to let him go. He'd been a stray cat I tamed not too many years after my dog had died. Lived with me all the rest of his life so I knew he'd lived well. A lot better than he would have had I not taken him in.

Just last May I finally got another German shepherd. What a great dog. My heart dreds knowing she'll pass someday, but I would not..WOULD NOT..ever deprive myself of having her around. It's the greatest joy one can have. I just hope I take her death as well as I've taken the others in the past. But now I've got kids who love her, too. So...maybe it will be harder this time; because of my kids.

vancejohnson82
04-19-2009, 05:00 PM
my dog of 9 years is starting to limp and have troubles moving around....he knows he is getting old and its becoming increasinlgy obvious that this story ends one way: with me deciding that he can no longer live a nice life...

its a long way down the road (hopefully) but that moment is coming.....dont feel bad for mourning....its part of life

SPORTSWRITER
04-20-2009, 12:20 AM
My deepest condolences. I've lost several pets over the years including my childhood dog and my beautiful dobe, Angel. I now have another, plus a big, beautiful Bronco-Orange Tom Cat which my wife accepted as a kitten from a friend. Now, a cat is something I never thought I'd get close to, but he's truly become the king of our jungle! They'll probably have to put me to sleep before him, should something bad happen to him. Anyway, feel no shame in mourning your dog.

I've loved few people in my life the way I have my pets. IMO all one has to do is look deeply into the eyes of a beloved animal, and if you have faith in a hereafter, you'll most likely believe he/she is a special SOUL!

ZONA
04-20-2009, 12:37 AM
You shouldn't feel bad about mourning the loss of a pet. I lost a lot of people close to me at a young age and even after going through all that I still took the loss of my childhood pets pretty hard. Never a good thing to ignore your grief.

I'm just gonna reply to your post because having your avatar multiple times in any thread can't be a bad thing.

Killericon
04-20-2009, 12:37 AM
I'm very, very close to losing a dog that's been with me for 14 years(And probably another that's been with us for around 11 years). I recall that in a terrible, terrible movie, one of the characters said "When you're a kid and you lose a dog, it's sad. When you're an adult and you lose a dog that you've had as an adult, it's sad. When you're an adult and you lose a dog that you had as a kid, it's heartbreaking."

I feel your pain, and I'm sorry, man.