PDA

View Full Version : Report: Browns To Draft Sanchez or Crabtree

broncofan7
04-18-2009, 06:45 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/18/report-browns-to-draft-sanchez-or-crabtree/

The Cleveland Browns will either draft USC quarterback Mark Sanchez!!!! or Texas Tech wide receiver Michael Crabtree with the fifth overall pick of the first round, according to an unconfirmed report from WOIO-TV in Cleveland.

Citing anonymous sources, the station is reporting that the Browns have made up their minds and have identified Sanchez and Crabtree as their top targets in the draft.

Is this an elaborate smokescreen leaked to the local media or does this thing have legs?

We’ll find out the truth in exactly one week.

Crabtree, in particular, could make sense given that the Browns have reportedly been shopping wide receiver Braylon Edwards in trade discussions.

The Browns have quarterbacks Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson on the roster, but don’t appear to be particularly attached to either one of them.

The Brown have been consistently linked to Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo in most mock drafts.

Boston College nose guard B.J. Raji is another strong possibility under a scenario where he would play nose guard in the Browns’ 3-4 scheme and Shaun “Big Baby” Rogers would move to defensive end.

I call BS on them targeting Sanchez......

ludo21
04-18-2009, 07:04 PM
i call smokescreen as well.

Highly doubtful they take Sanchez unless they move Quinn.

barryr
04-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Crabtree makes sense especially if they are truly looking to trade Edwards.

Sanchez could make sense also if not happy with their QB spot, which they may not be.

I don't see Raji making sense to them though unless they are dealing Rogers.

oubronco
04-18-2009, 07:05 PM
why would they draft Sanchez when they used picks to get back into the first round to draft Quinn doesn't make alot of sense

Hercules Rockefeller
04-18-2009, 07:20 PM
They're begging someone who really does want Sanchez to move ahead of them, so the guy they really want can fall, Curry.

TheDave
04-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Anyone want to bet Seattle is the source for this... Just trying to drum up interest for their pick.

chaz
04-18-2009, 08:28 PM
why would they draft Sanchez when they used picks to get back into the first round to draft Quinn doesn't make alot of sense

It's the same reason McD didn't feel attached to Jay....he's not his guy. The new coach doesn't feel attached to Quinn or Anderson

SouthStndJunkie
04-18-2009, 08:37 PM
I smell bull****....I can see them wanting Crabtree....but I can't see them drafting Sanchez.

I think they need to give Quinn a year to see what he can do.

backup qb
04-19-2009, 08:58 AM
New regime in place then the one that drafted Quinn, so who knows what could happen. My best friend is a browns fan(odd but highly amusing for me) and is livid at the thought of another 1st rd qb.

Broncojef
04-19-2009, 01:49 PM
The Seadogs at #4 have the same smokescreen up...

http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2009/04/14/p40094

If the Seattle Seahawks planned to put out a smoke screen, creating the perception that they might take USC quarterback Mark Sanchez with the No. 4 pick, they’ve done a pretty good job.

However, the Seahawks selecting Sanchez at No. 4 may not be an illusion.

Seattle head coach Jim Mora and team president and general manager Tim Ruskelll have said that the team needs to draft a quarterback sooner rather than later to groom as the eventual replacement for 33-year-old quarterback Matt Hasselbeck.

[More:]

Hasselbeck had back issues last season, and the organization is unsure how long he can continue to play at a high level.

However, the thought of selecting Sanchez has more to do with Hasselbeck staying healthy. If Hasselbeck stays upright and plays well this season, Seattle will have a lower selection next season and might not have an opportunity to select a franchise quarterback like Oklahoma’s Sam Bradford or Colt McCoy of Texas next season, so there’s a feeling that now is the team’s best chance to grab a talent like Sanchez.

But there’s also the issue of what selecting Sanchez might do in terms of the attitude of the players on the team, who believe the Seahawks can make a deep playoff run now. Sanchez probably won’t see the field for another two to three years if Seattle’s drafts him, so that’s a lot of money sitting on the sideline holding a clipboard as the team’s third quarterback. Not exactly an impact player for 2009.

Also, as Hasselbeck has said, there’s a lot of quarterbacks who have been drafted late, or not at all, that have worked their way to franchise quarterback status, including Hasselbeck, Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, Marc Bulger and Matt Cassel.

If Seattle decides to pass on Sanchez, the two other front runners appear to be Virginia offensive tackle Eugene Monroe and Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry. There’s the thought that Kansas City could pass on Curry and go with Monroe to bolster its offensive line in order to protect new franchise quarterback Cassel.

Also, the Chiefs already have nine linebackers on the roster, and likely three penciled in as starters with Zach Thomas and Derrick Johnson starting inside and Mike Vrabel staring outside. Kansas City likely would use Curry at outside linebacker when they change to a 3-4 defensive front. Curry would be required to rush the passer, which probably is not his strong suit. So, essentially the Chiefs would be drafting a player at No. 3 to fill a specialized need that they could probably get later on the draft.

Curry and Monroe both would fulfill needs for Seattle, and would make immediate impacts.

I think Texas Tech wide receiver Michael Crabtree has an outside chance of being selected by Seattle. However, with the Seahawks bringing T.J. Houshmandzadeh in, wide receiver is not an urgent need right now and could be addressed later in the draft, so I see Crabtree likely going to Cleveland at No. 5.

ESPN discusses Seattle’s draft needs in this video.

ESPN’s Mike Sando also addresses Seattle’s draft needs here.

Rob Rang, senior analyst for NFLDraftScout.com posts his latest mock draft, and he has Seattle Still picking Sanchez at No. 4. He also has Curry dropping to Jacksonville at No. 8. Says Rang: “Only one linebacker has been selected higher than the ninth pick since the 2000 draft, and A.J. Hawk, the fifth pick of the 2006 draft, hasn’t exactly torn up the up league.”

Rob Staton of the Seahawks Draft Blog discusses the latest news on Crabtree, with a couple different national writers discussing the playmaking potential of the Texas Tech wide receiver, including Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports and Seth Wickersham of ESPN the Magazine.

Gil Brandt of NFL.com reports that Crabtree has four visits, including a trip to Cleveland he made on Monday.

Drek
04-19-2009, 03:18 PM
When Curry slides out of the top 5 I'm really hoping the FO makes a move for him.

oubronco
04-19-2009, 04:02 PM
When Curry slides out of the top 5 I'm really hoping the FO makes a move for him.

:pray:

Kaylore
04-19-2009, 04:16 PM
I really hope we stay put or move down.

FireFly
04-19-2009, 04:29 PM
Neither the Seahawks or the Browns are taking Sanchez. Its just not going to happen. Beyond that Curry is not going to fall out of the top 5.

Conceivably, the chiefs could go OT but more than likely he goes no further than that. Crabtree could slide to 7 or 8 Sanchez will not go before 6 and will more than likely go to the 49er if he doesn't slide even further; which is a distinct possibility.

Paladin
04-19-2009, 05:29 PM
You in the draft room somewhere?

Ratboy
04-20-2009, 06:01 PM
I really hope we stay put or move down.

Seriously, trade down, gain some more draft picks.

uplink
04-22-2009, 01:10 AM
Could be testing the temperature of the media/fan base in regards to picking a new future francise QB. For example will there be a rallying call to give Quinn a chance or stick with Hasselbeck into his mid 30s?

Could also be setting the notion that Sanchez value is at the 4-5 if not higher and teams who want him need to deal with Seattle/Cleve.