PDA

View Full Version : Plummer to coach quarterbacks

Pony Boy
04-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Plummer to coach quarterbacks
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4078255

SANDPOINT, Idaho -- Former NFL quarterback Jake Plummer will be the quarterbacks coach at Sandpoint High School this season, coach Mike Mitchell said.

Plummer, who lives in the resort town, will be paid as a normal assistant coach, Mitchell said.

"It will not be as much as NFL pay," Mitchell said.

A native of Boise, Idaho, Plummer played at Arizona State and for the Arizona Cardinals and Denver Broncos before retiring in 2006. He threw for more than 29,000 yards with 161 touchdowns and 161 interceptions in his decade-long pro career.

Plummer retired to Sandpoint, an outdoor mecca in the Rocky Mountains along the shores of Lake Pend Oreille. His brother, Eric, also lives in the town.

"He wants to help out as much as he can and help the kids of the community," Mitchell said. "He's a great guy."

Wes Mantooth
04-17-2009, 10:57 PM
good for him.

Rock Chalk
04-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Not many may have liked Plummer as our QB, but you cant deny, he's a helluva good guy.

TDmvp
04-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Yea I added to the other Jake thread so not to have two Jake war threads ...

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=79661&page=5

spdirty
04-17-2009, 10:59 PM
Is he gonna teach em to throw with both hands?

Pony Boy
04-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Wow, can you imagine what it would be like if you were a high school QB and Jake Plummer was you coach?

Where's Plummer???
04-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Is he gonna teach em to throw with both hands?

i wanna call you a dick for this one but i have to admit i laughed when i read it.. lol

baja
04-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Not many may have liked Plummer as our QB, but you cant deny, he's a helluva good guy.

True enough and pre Cutler I liked his play OK too except for the AFCC game.

Pony Boy
04-17-2009, 11:13 PM

Your right, great guy but I wish he just didn't make those "bonehead" plays he was famous for. (drive killers)

ludo21
04-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Thats awesome! Jake is a stud, and to get coached by an NFL QB would be a great experience.

Rock Chalk
04-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Your right, great guy but I wish he just didn't make those "bonehead" plays he was famous for. (drive killers)

Kinda like that Cutler red zone interception against Buffalo?

Yeah, those suck.

Popps
04-18-2009, 12:47 AM

For the record, while goofy... that pass was thrown in a game we won.

Denver scored on its first three possessions, Plummer threw for 230 yards and threw 2 touchdown passes

Denver took the lead back on Elam's 45-yard field goal, then sealed it on Plummer's 2-yard touchdown pass to Patrick Hape.

It's hard for me to think of a less significant play in NFL history that had more meaningless hype around it.

Silly throws? Good lord, these folks must have never watched the great John Elway play. Very different QBs, of course... but John would make throws that left you scratching your head at least once a week.

lex
04-18-2009, 12:53 AM
For the record, while goofy... that pass was thrown in a game we won.

Denver scored on its first three possessions, Plummer threw for 230 yards and threw 2 touchdown passes

Denver took the lead back on Elam's 45-yard field goal, then sealed it on Plummer's 2-yard touchdown pass to Patrick Hape.

It's hard for me to think of a less significant play in NFL history that had more meaningless hype around it.

Silly throws? Good lord, these folks must have never watched the great John Elway play. Very different QBs, of course... but John would make throws that left you scratching your head at least once a week.

Its not insignificant at all. Throwing with your opposite hand isnt something that comes natural and for someone do such a thing in such a spastic fit, just goes to show how he was injudicious in a way thats on a totally different level.

Popps
04-18-2009, 02:28 AM
Its not insignificant at all. Throwing with your opposite hand isnt something that comes natural and for someone do such a thing in such a spastic fit, just goes to show how he was injudicious in a way thats on a totally different level.

Again, if you watched Elway play every Sunday (and I'm guessing you didn't) ... you simply wouldn't make statements like that.

It was an attempt to avoid a safety. Silly? Sure. Significant? Of course not. More significant were the results... a few TD passes, including the game-sealing TD drive.... and a win.

The obsession over that throw, as NFL-follies as it may have been, is a real exercise in futility.

Killericon
04-18-2009, 02:38 AM
I feel sorry for the head coach. How do you try to tell Jake Plummer that you know more about football than he does?

Also, say what you will about Plummer the QB, but as a person, he's just on his game. He kicks ass.

Anaximines
04-18-2009, 03:00 AM
I miss Jake.

Vladimir
04-18-2009, 03:15 AM
Good for Jake glad to hear he is helping out like that. I always liked him.

rastaman
04-18-2009, 04:22 AM
I miss Jake.

I've got this sinking feeling we maybe missing Cutler as well in about 2 or 3 years.

elsid13
04-18-2009, 04:36 AM
Well at the least the high school QBs won't have to work hard now.

Atwater His Ass
04-18-2009, 07:38 AM
I miss Jake.

I do too. And it makes me sick all of these posters, many of whom jumped the OM bandwagon of hate Jake act like they are all cool with him now and no hard feelings.

Hmm. Very similiar two-faced idiots that are part of the OM bandwagon hate Cutler brigade now. ****ing sickening.

broncofan7
04-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Jake seems like a guy who has never let the stardom of being an NFL player, and a starting QB at that, get in the way of helping out the community--from walking dogs from the pound while in Denver and now this..he seems like a good guy for sure. I'd feel much better with him than with Simms or Orton that's for sure......

Jason in LA
04-18-2009, 08:36 AM
Well at the least the high school QBs won't have to work hard now.

That's the same thing that I thought. Those kids will probably love it. They won't have a coach who will make them practice the same thing over and over, or push them to give it their all. But on the flip side, they probably won't amount to much because they won't have a coach pushing them to be great.

My high school football/track coach yelled at me everyday for three years. Hell, I'd win races and he'd have some words for me. At the time I didn't understand why he was so pissed. I didn't like it, but looking back, I appreciate it because it helped get me to college. The guy pushed me to be great. I see him often and we joke about those days. Judging from Plummer's comments on Jim Rome's show, he's not going to be doing any of that. They'll probably be playing a lot of handball.

broncofan7
04-18-2009, 08:59 AM
That's the same thing that I thought. Those kids will probably love it. They won't have a coach who will make them practice the same thing over and over, or push them to give it their all. But on the flip side, they probably won't amount to much because they won't have a coach pushing them to be great.

My high school football/track coach yelled at me everyday for three years. Hell, I'd win races and he'd have some words for me. At the time I didn't understand why he was so pissed. I didn't like it, but looking back, I appreciate it because it helped get me to college. The guy pushed me to be great. I see him often and we joke about those days. Judging from Plummer's comments on Jim Rome's show, he's not going to be doing any of that. They'll probably be playing a lot of handball.

Do you honestly think that coaching children is on the same plain as coaching grown men who make millions of dollars? Children are more eager to please their coaches than adults are and most are prone to defer to adult authority figures. I bet that Jake was coached up just as you were while growing up--Would you appreciate your boss yelling at you while you were in your 30's? And what Jake stated made sense--why go over 130 plays once or twice when you can perfect the 60 or 70 that you will actually run in the game that are tailored to a particular opponent? Jake is doing great things and the kids will be better for his coaching........

Where's Plummer???
04-18-2009, 09:19 AM
evberyone knows how i feel about plummer!!!

lex
04-18-2009, 09:33 AM
Again, if you watched Elway play every Sunday (and I'm guessing you didn't) ... you simply wouldn't make statements like that.

It was an attempt to avoid a safety. Silly? Sure. Significant? Of course not. More significant were the results... a few TD passes, including the game-sealing TD drive.... and a win.

The obsession over that throw, as NFL-follies as it may have been, is a real exercise in futility.

Again, until you can come up with an instance where Elway threw a left handed interception, youd have a point. But, as it is, you dont.

Tombstone RJ
04-18-2009, 09:39 AM
We can all disagree about Plummer as an NFL QB but I think it's pretty indisputable that he's a good person and a community guy.

Where's Plummer???
04-18-2009, 09:40 AM
We can all disagree about Plummer as an NFL QB but I think it's pretty indisputable that he's a good person and a community guy.

DAMN RIGHT!!!

Pony Boy
04-18-2009, 10:00 AM
evberyone knows how i feel about plummer!!!

Here's a picture for your wallet

Where's Plummer???
04-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Here's a picture for your wallet

n/e way you could laminate it and send 10 wallet sizes?? Hilarious!

Popps
04-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Again, until you can come up with an instance where Elway threw a left handed interception, youd have a point. But, as it is, you dont.

It's not specifically about left-handed. It's about making an ill-advised or silly throw while trying to make things happen. Again, those "shocked" by things like that never watched Elway, Favre or any other improvisational QB.

Point being, it was one irrelevant throw in a game we won. Funny? Sure. Meaningful? No.

Bronx33
04-18-2009, 11:01 AM
Another generation of QBs trained to throw into coverage.

Mile High Mojoe
04-18-2009, 11:37 AM
I admire him for volunteering his time to Coach it says a lot about him. It’s well known that I never cared for Plummer as QB but as a person he is a good guy, a regular Joe who did give everything he had on the field. Still, you can’t ignore the glaring negative about his career when he fumbled twice and threw 2 picks in the AFC Championship Game in 05 and took the Broncos out of a chance to win the SB. His mental mistakes finally exposed that he just didn’t have it, whatever or however you define what “It” is, to take his game to the next level. Given his physical abilities he did play well up until that day but after it he was finished, his head was never in the game after that day. He knew just like everybody else it was he last best chance to prove he could win a Super Bowl and he played like it from opening day in 2006 until he was finally benched for Cutler.

With some time and prospective I’ve forgiven him for that game but it’s hard to let go of the fact we had the best team in the NFL that year and could of beaten the Seahawks had we advanced to the SB. The Broncos had a good enough team to win but Plummer was the Achilles heel.

When the Plummer debate was hot and heavy in here I always said that part of the reason the Broncos failed with Plummer at QB and in that game is that Shanahan tried way too hard to out coach himself. I like what Plummer said in the interview with Jim Rome recently because he says the same thing.

“I think when you game plan and you put in, oh, 140, 150 pass plays when you’re going to run maybe 65 to 75 plays in a game, and of those, maybe 25 to 30 are passes, you’re overdoing it,” Plummer told Rome. “If you’re such a great coach, focus on the defense and know what’s going to work — not have to force us to practice and study. “I believe in letting players play. I was a guy who could make plays out of nothing . . . I think he just had his run with me, was ready to move on.”

Plummer is spot on, this is part of the reason he and Shanahan both failed and why Shanahan finally lost his job. I wish you the best now Jake, I bet you’re happy to be out of the Broncos 3 ring circus.

theAPAOps5
04-18-2009, 11:51 AM
I admire him for volunteering his time to Coach it says a lot about him. It’s well known that I never cared for Plummer as QB but as a person he is a good guy, a regular Joe who did give everything he had on the field. Still, you can’t ignore the glaring negative about his career when he fumbled twice and threw 2 picks in the AFC Championship Game in 05 and took the Broncos out of a chance to win the SB. His mental mistakes finally exposed that he just didn’t have it, whatever or however you define what “It” is, to take his game to the next level. Given his physical abilities he did play well up until that day but after it he was finished, his head was never in the game after that day. He knew just like everybody else it was he last best chance to prove he could win a Super Bowl and he played like it from opening day in 2006 until he was finally benched for Cutler.

With some time and prospective I’ve forgiven him for that game but it’s hard to let go of the fact we had the best team in the NFL that year and could of beaten the Seahawks had we advanced to the SB. The Broncos had a good enough team to win but Plummer was the Achilles heel.

When the Plummer debate was hot and heavy in here I always said that part of the reason the Broncos failed with Plummer at QB and in that game is that Shanahan tried way too hard to out coach himself. I like what Plummer said in the interview with Jim Rome recently because he says the same thing.

“I think when you game plan and you put in, oh, 140, 150 pass plays when you’re going to run maybe 65 to 75 plays in a game, and of those, maybe 25 to 30 are passes, you’re overdoing it,” Plummer told Rome. “If you’re such a great coach, focus on the defense and know what’s going to work — not have to force us to practice and study. “I believe in letting players play. I was a guy who could make plays out of nothing . . . I think he just had his run with me, was ready to move on.”

Plummer is spot on, this is part of the reason he and Shanahan both failed and why Shanahan finally lost his job. I wish you the best now Jake, I bet you’re happy to be out of the Broncos 3 ring circus.

I have bolded the parts I found useful in this post.

Bronx33
04-18-2009, 11:57 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JtEVROrjAs8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JtEVROrjAs8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Taco John
04-18-2009, 01:19 PM

When he's not hitting and running other cars, flipping off the fans, or trashing Broncos fans to reporters, Jake is a good guy.

Actually, I'm sure Jake's a good guy in real life. My only problem with him was how poorly he played in big games. I really wish he had it in him to battle in those big games, because he played on some of the best teams that we have seen in a decade. I really thought that 2005 team was a Superbowl calibre team.

Mile High Mojoe
04-18-2009, 02:10 PM
When he's not hitting and running other cars, flipping off the fans, or trashing Broncos fans to reporters, Jake is a good guy.

Actually, I'm sure Jake's a good guy in real life. My only problem with him was how poorly he played in big games. I really wish he had it in him to battle in those big games, because he played on some of the best teams that we have seen in a decade. I really thought that 2005 team was a Superbowl calibre team.You and I still agree when it comes to Plummer I see. I'm really surprised how 3 years later many threads still get started Plummer. The lovefest on him seems unwarranted. The outrage over Cutler getting traded seems far more lethal and important than reminiscing about a guy who cost us at least one Super Bowl win. Without a doubt the 2009 version of Cutler would have won the 05 Championship game and went on to win the Super Bowl against that crappy Seahawks team. I guess reliving this isn’t productive, I’ll shut up now and not go the dark side which I’m very tempted to do every time his name comes up.

Pony Boy
04-18-2009, 03:16 PM
But I do miss the "naked bootleg"

Meck77
04-18-2009, 03:38 PM
I really wish he had it in him to battle in those big games, because he played on some of the best teams that we have seen in a decade..

Jay Cutler....The best ever to never even play in a big game.

Jason in LA
04-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Do you honestly think that coaching children is on the same plain as coaching grown men who make millions of dollars? Children are more eager to please their coaches than adults are and most are prone to defer to adult authority figures. I bet that Jake was coached up just as you were while growing up--Would you appreciate your boss yelling at you while you were in your 30's? And what Jake stated made sense--why go over 130 plays once or twice when you can perfect the 60 or 70 that you will actually run in the game that are tailored to a particular opponent? Jake is doing great things and the kids will be better for his coaching........

It doesn't matter the which methods that a coach uses to motivate the players. The point is that the coach will use certain methods to do so. Some are yellers, so just give a player a stare. What ever the methods are, a player shouldn't be complaining about it. Just go and do your job. A lot of NFL coaches will chew their players out. That's the nature of the position. The coach is supposed to push a player to be great. He's supposed to strive for perfection. A coach will know that perfection will never be achieved, but there still has to be a drive towards perfection. Plummer obviously didn't care about that.

As for the amount of plays practiced, I'm sure Shanahan knew what he was doing. Seeing the results that he got I'm going with him. I bet Bill Walsh did that with the Niners. Hell, I bet all teams do that.

I brought up the example of the '97 AFC Championship game in another thread, when Elway changed the play in the huddle to a play that wasn't in the game plan. It was like 3rd and 7, and a first down would end the game. If they got stopped they would have given the ball back to the Steelers with a chance to tie of win the game. Well Sharpe tells Elway that the play isn't in the game plan, and Elway told him to just go with it. And it worked. That's the exact reason why teams practice so many plays. You never know when a play is going to come up. It makes sense to practice all those plays. Plummer obviously didn't like to practice, and it showed. He threw some horrible picks, Maybe if he spent some more time perfecting his craft he wouldn't have been such a streaky player.

Jason in LA
04-18-2009, 04:01 PM

I view it the exact opposite, and it really pissed me off to hear Plummer say that BS. He didn't get it. To me it says that he didn't want to put in the work. That's what NFL teams do. NFL teams over do it. If they didn't they'd get blown out by the teams that do over do it. Like Plummer said, he liked playing football, but didn't like what went into being a football player. To use an example from another sport, seems like Alan Iverson had that same attitude. It's just practice... right? And he got roasted for that attitude. Now Plummer didn't skip practice, but it's the same bad attitude towards practice. I bet Peyton Manning or Tom Brady didn't have that attitude towards practice. An NFL QB has to put in the work, which Plummer didn't want to. And it showed on the field. Maybe if he practiced harder and watched more film he wouldn't have thrown so many dumb picks.

Gort
04-18-2009, 06:49 PM

Actually, I'm sure Jake's a good guy in real life. My only problem with him was how poorly he played in big games. I really wish he had it in him to battle in those big games, because he played on some of the best teams that we have seen in a decade. I really thought that 2005 team was a Superbowl calibre team.

don't forget his sexual assault charges while in college. as long as he's not drunkenly groping random college girls in a bar, he's a good guy. ;)