PDA

View Full Version : The Offcial Start Spencer Larsen! Don't Draft Rey Rey Thread

Punisher
04-17-2009, 01:13 PM
First of all he Tallied 131 tackles to lead the PAC-10 in 2007.As everyone knows he played FB and MLB in one game the man has Heart!Yea Maualuga had 96 tackles, 37 tackles for loss, 4 interceptions (2 for TDs), -2 fumble recoveries and 1 kickoff return for a touchdown in his senior year.But the man Scored really low Wonderlic with 15, giving the middile linebacker has to be asked to call the Defense.By the way Larsen scored 25/33 on his Wonderlic last year.
Larsen has the Football IQ and Heart to play in the old school 3-4.

So I say Start Larsen and don't draft Maualuga :approve:

Florida_Bronco
04-17-2009, 01:17 PM
First of all he Tallied 131 tackles to lead the PAC-10 in 2007.As everyone knows he played FB and MLB in one game the man has Heart!Yea Maualuga had 96 tackles, 37 tackles for loss, 4 interceptions (2 for TDs), -2 fumble recoveries and 1 kickoff return for a touchdown in his senior year.But the man Scored really low Wonderlic with 15, giving the middile linebacker has to be asked to call the Defense.By the way Larsen scored 25/33 on his Wonderlic last year.

I don't want Maualuga, that's for sure. If Larsen wins the starting spot, fine.

PRBronco
04-17-2009, 01:20 PM
PRBronco supports this thread.

vancejohnson82
04-17-2009, 01:26 PM
so if I do want Rey, do I have to start another thread, or can I chime in here??

the way things are nowadays I don't want to ruffle any feathers

Punisher
04-17-2009, 01:32 PM
so if I do want Rey, do I have to start another thread, or can I chime in here??

the way things are nowadays I don't want to ruffle any feathers

You could start a rant in here don't go making all these Threads on Rey Rey :~ohyah!:

vancejohnson82
04-17-2009, 01:38 PM
The reason I like the guy is because he reminds me a LOT of Al Wilson. Early in his career Wilson was known for making bad reads, getting caught on misdirections and missing assignments...he was basically over aggressive. Wilson also wasnt very good in coverage. I see a lot of those qualities in Rey and thats not so good for the immediate future.
However, the real key for Rey would be how he utilizes that playmaker's mentality to his advantage and tones down his initial reads...but he brings something to the MLB position that we havent seen in a very long time: FIRE and AGGRESSIVENESS...I think we can all agree that no matter how much we like or dislike DJ WIlliams, he just isnt a fiery type of guy..neither is Champ....what Rey may lack in smarts he brings in intensity and I think its something that we could use a pick for at #18...

hopefully he's not a Vernon Gholston and can learn defensive schemes...

BroncoMan4ever
04-17-2009, 01:39 PM
i agree. i didn't want Maualuga before all the draft process began. i don't even think he was the best of the USC trio. i would want Matthews and Cushing before him.

start Larsen and draft Matthews to get Boss off the field.

gyldenlove
04-17-2009, 01:42 PM
I love Larsen, he is a warrior and an overachiever. He has smarts, instincts and hustle, some of the most important features in an ILB.

peacepipe
04-17-2009, 01:46 PM
I like larsons effort but I'm ready to crown him the next jack lambert or lawrence taylor.

socalorado
04-17-2009, 01:47 PM
What about this. And i highly doubt that Larsen can start over Andra.I like Spencer too! Just sayin,

JACK L.English E.Dumervil
WILL DJ. Williams W.Woodyard
MIKE S.Larsen A.Davis
SAM B.Cushing B.Bailey

cmhargrove
04-17-2009, 01:48 PM
NEWS FLASH!

Our starting ILB's will be Andra Davis (SILB) and DJ Williams (WILB).

Punisher
04-17-2009, 01:49 PM
The reason I like the guy is because he reminds me a LOT of Al Wilson. Early in his career Wilson was known for making bad reads, getting caught on misdirections and missing assignments...he was basically over aggressive. Wilson also wasnt very good in coverage. I see a lot of those qualities in Rey and thats not so good for the immediate future.
However, the real key for Rey would be how he utilizes that playmaker's mentality to his advantage and tones down his initial reads...but he brings something to the MLB position that we havent seen in a very long time: FIRE and AGGRESSIVENESS...I think we can all agree that no matter how much we like or dislike DJ WIlliams, he just isnt a fiery type of guy..neither is Champ....what Rey may lack in smarts he brings in intensity and I think its something that we could use a pick for at #18...

hopefully he's not a Vernon Gholston and can learn defensive schemes...

Yea i see what your saying we was missing that Captain on Defense but thats why we bought in B-Dawk,although B-Dawk will only be here for like 2 years I think a young guy like Woodyard can step up in take that "Fire" Place.

no-pseudo-fan
04-17-2009, 01:49 PM
I love Larsen. Larsen is a backup/ST guy. I would love for him to be more, but he isn't. Rey would bring attitude back to this defense, and RB would be a little less calm between the tackles. I don't like Cushing or Mathews. Cushing is an injury waiting to happen, and he is maxed out on potential. Mathews is a rush LB that doesn't sack the QB.

peacepipe
04-17-2009, 01:51 PM
NEWS FLASH!

Almost forgot, those 2 along with dumervil (OLB) probably have 3 of the 4 starting positions on lock down.

Punisher
04-17-2009, 01:52 PM
NEWS FLASH!

There's no way Andra Davis is better than Larsen I think Larsen beats him out in Training Champ,The only thing i can recall on Davis was his Eye Gouge on Willis McGahee,Larsen hits hard and has the smarts.

supermanhr9
04-17-2009, 01:53 PM
ummmmm,,, I probably shouldn't be on this thread for obvious reasons, however I do want to say I think it's a win win whatever we do as long as Larsen gets the nod over rey. I think Larsen is a Bad A$@ however I also think Rey Rey is too,,, so I'm in content as long as our defense just improves!!!

Pony Boy
04-17-2009, 01:54 PM
I just really want a crazy Samoan "hit-man" on the Broncos

socalorado
04-17-2009, 01:55 PM
There's no way Andra Davis is better than Larsen I think Larsen beats him out in Training Champ,The only thing i can recall on Davis was his Eye Gouge on Willis McGahee,Larsen hits hard and has the smarts.

The only way Andra Davis is not better than Spencer, is that he is injury prone now, so relax, we will more than likely get a healthy dose of Larsen all season.

no-pseudo-fan
04-17-2009, 01:56 PM
I don't get it. Why the Rey hate? So he isn't the brightest bulb. I couldn't care less. He is the scary SOB in the middle that wants nothing more than to rip your head off. Davis isn't the answer, neither is Larsen. I am more confident that Doom and Moss will take care of the Russ LB position than I am that Davis or Larsen will take care of the MLB.

vancejohnson82
04-17-2009, 01:58 PM
I just think our defense last year reflected a lot of the teams internal problems as it pertains to intensity and willing your way to wins....a lot of teams get some bad breaks here and there during a game but have those players who keep everybody up....not just by yelling or chest bumping but just pure fire...

for example: QB throws a pick inside our 30....last year this was an automatic 7 points on the board for the other team....and it was like everyone on the defense knew it...

guys like B-Dawk and Rey don't take the field with that attitude......i

Punisher
04-17-2009, 01:59 PM
The only way Andra Davis is not better than Spencer, is that he is injury prone now, so relax, we will more than likely get a healthy dose of Larsen all season.

Relax as i can be,I just don't have high hopes for Andra Davis I like the signing in all but as you said the guy gets hurt in misses tackles.Larsen is better trust me.

socalorado
04-17-2009, 02:00 PM
I don't get it. Why the Rey hate? So he isn't the brightest bulb. I couldn't care less. He is the scary SOB in the middle that wants nothing more than to rip your head off. Davis isn't the answer, neither is Larsen. I am more confident that Doom and Moss will take care of the Russ LB position than I am that Davis or Larsen will take care of the MLB.

Playing Devils Advocate, i like Cushing the most cause he can play all over, but WHOEVER comes to DEN to play LB is gonna vastly improve!
Nolan is well known for taking LBs and making them pro bowl calibur players, so i am not concerned in the least if any one of the USC players comes to DEN, i know he will be good with Nolan helping him every step of the way.
I would love to get Larry English too cause i think he is a really good fit at JACK in a 3-4 Nolan system, but he can play in a 4-3 as a DE as well.

Northman
04-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Larsen is ok, but give me Rey Rey.

Kaylore
04-17-2009, 02:05 PM
How about the official Don't draft Rey-Rey simply because we don't need LaVar Arrington on this team regardless of Larsen?

no-pseudo-fan
04-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Playing Devils Advocate, i like Cushing the most cause he can play all over, but WHOEVER comes to DEN to play LB is gonna vastly improve!
Nolan is well known for taking LBs and making them pro bowl calibur players, so i am not concerned in the least if any one of the USC players comes to DEN, i know he will be good with Nolan helping him every step of the way.
I would love to get Larry English too cause i think he is a really good fit at JACK in a 3-4 Nolan system, but he can play in a 4-3 as a DE as well.

I am confident that Nolan knows what he wants, and will take the best guy. Also check out Sidbury. He is bigger and faster than English.

no-pseudo-fan
04-17-2009, 02:06 PM
How about the official Don't draft Rey-Rey simply because we don't need LaVar Arrington on this team regardless of Larsen?

Ok Khan. How are they similiar? Fact not fiction.

cmhargrove
04-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Relax as i can be,I just don't have high hopes for Andra Davis I like the signing in all but as you said the guy gets hurt in misses tackles.Larsen is better trust me.

Davis had a very solid year for a 3-4 ILB last year. And, remember, he knows how to play 3-4 ILB - that's an advantage for him getting the spot.

I hope Larsen outcompetes Davis, it will only make us better as a team. But, if I was a betting man, I would put my money on Davis to start the season (unless of injury).

socalorado
04-17-2009, 02:10 PM
I am confident that Nolan knows what he wants, and will take the best guy. Also check out Sidbury. He is bigger and faster than English.

Oh I like Sidbury too!!

heres my list for the JACK spot

Larry English- POWER, period. HUGE MOTOR! Constantly in the backfiled making plays. Questions about level of competition.
Clay Matthews- Fastest time off the snap at the combine! HUGE MOTOR!
Another player always in the backfield, making plays.
Lawrence Sidbury- Fast, and powerful. Watched him during the "playoffs".
go spiders!
Connor Barwin - huge motor. versatile, lots of upside. needs coaching though.

Inkana7
04-17-2009, 02:11 PM

They're both reckless and freelance a lot. Although Arrington is a much better athlete.

Pony Boy
04-17-2009, 02:12 PM

I agree he's not the brightest he scored a 15 on the Wonderlic test, but I would love to see him in a Bronco uniform.

Here are some other dim bulbs

Tarvaris Jackson 19
Derek Anderson 19
Vince Young 16
Dan Marino 15
Terry Bradshaw 15
Donovan McNabb 14
David Garrard 14
Kordell Stewart 13
Marcus Vick 11
Jeff George 10
Chris Leak 8

Sample Test yourself : http://vandalaysolutions.com/wpt/wpt.html

Kaylore
04-17-2009, 02:23 PM

Both big physical specimens. Both played with other incredible players around them to hide their weaknesses. Both are stupid. Both are over-hyped. Arrington didn't have the injury concerns, though.

no-pseudo-fan
04-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Both big physical specimens. Both played with other incredible players around them to hide their weaknesses. Both are stupid. Both are over-hyped. Arrington didn't have the injury concerns, though.

That describes all the USC LB's. I see more Lofa Tatupu in Rey. Not great timed speed, doesn't look great with the pads off, but when the pads are on and it is time to play, you want that guy on your side.

Rey wants to win, and wants to have his own legacy in this game. LaVar was for Lavar. Rey doesn't free lance, he coach (Ken Norton Jr.) told him to cut off the RB's and force them back into the teeth of the defense. If that is what you are told to do, and you do it, even if it effects your stats, that is a pretty unselfish person.

If Rey was out for the money, he could've come out last year and been drafted top 10. He stayed for his teammates. Pretty stupid.

TheManeMan
04-17-2009, 02:44 PM
All the people hating on Rey Rey in this thread obviously have NOT seen him play all that much. Living here in LA, i've gone to plenty of USC games over the past 5 years and in these past 2, there have been 2 people that you notice on the Defense, game in and game out...one was #58 and the other was #2 Taylor Mays. That being said...

I'd much rather have a USC linebacker and their track record than some FB converted LB.

elsid13
04-17-2009, 03:11 PM
All the people hating on Rey Rey in this thread obviously have NOT seen him play all that much. Living here in LA, i've gone to plenty of USC games over the past 5 years and in these past 2, there have been 2 people that you notice on the Defense, game in and game out...one was #58 and the other was #2 Taylor Mays. That being said...

I'd much rather have a USC linebacker and their track record than some FB converted LB.

I put Larson just as good as any LB that came out of USC the last four years. Larson is player, and is top notch ILB in the right defense. Larson isn't a Cover-2 MLB type which is what Denver using the last couple of seasons.

Given a full training camp, unlike last season, people are going to be surprised how good he is.

socalorado
04-17-2009, 03:13 PM
I put Larson just as good as any LB that came out of USC the last four years. Larson is player, and is top notch ILB in the right defense. Larson isn't a Cover-2 MLB type which is what Denver using the last couple of seasons.

Given a full training camp, unlike last season, people are going to be surprised how good he is.

Yeah, i think Larsen was a steal!

Tombstone RJ
04-17-2009, 03:14 PM

Larsen has been my man from the beginning. :thumbs:

oubronco
04-17-2009, 03:33 PM

surrounded by superior talent I'm sorry but this guy has bust written all over him

Drek
04-17-2009, 03:41 PM
I'd prefer to not even draft an LB in the first round, regardless of who it is.

Dumervil is a damn smart football player who knows more about pass rush technique than any player in this class. He deserves a shot at the WOLB pass rushing LB job. At the same time we have as promising a physical specimen for the job as you'll find in Jarvis Moss to put behind him on the depth chart. We can work with those two.

I really think we're going to see DJ Williams at SOLB as well. In Nolan's defense its a jack of all trades position and that is exactly what DJ is. He can pass rush a little, covers well, and is a quality run stopper. He can do everything we'd need there and Boss can be his backup as he offers similar diversity in his skill set.

Then at the two ILB spots we let Woodyard, Larsen, and Davis battle it out. I'd expect Davis to take a job just because he'd make a valuable team leader in the middle of the field, while Woodyard and Larsen would probably end up splitting snaps with Woodyard getting predominantly passing situation downs and Larsen running downs.

Draft a couple LBs between the 2nd and 5th (someone like Jasper Brinkley would be ideal) and use the two firsts (if we keep them both) on positions where we don't already have some solid youth (DL, DB) or maybe some extra offensive firepower (RB).

Kaylore
04-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Rey wants to win, and wants to have his own legacy in this game. LaVar was for Lavar. Rey doesn't free lance, he coach (Ken Norton Jr.) told him to cut off the RB's and force them back into the teeth of the defense. If that is what you are told to do, and you do it, even if it effects your stats, that is a pretty unselfish person.

Why was the scheme designed that way? Why wasn't he asked to do more? It's not the like coaches knew he could play in coverage and be moved around but chose to simplify his duties because they're jerks. He was given two reads: He rushes the gap and if there is a running back tackle him. If it's a pass play do the same thing but go for a sack. Keep it nice and simple. He's the like guy on an assembly line that picks the widgets off the belt and puts them in a box. He's really really good at that one thing, but outside of that job he's worthless.

cutthemdown
04-17-2009, 04:31 PM
i agree. i didn't want Maualuga before all the draft process began. i don't even think he was the best of the USC trio. i would want Matthews and Cushing before him.

start Larsen and draft Matthews to get Boss off the field.

If you watch Rey play you see he took on blockers more then Cushing or Mathews did. Some players run around blocks, some players destroy the blockers. I think Rey is one of those no nonsense types that says I may not make the tackle, but I am going to blow that FB up right in the hole, and take out the guard at the same time. Faster sleeker LBERS like Mathews would then swoop in to the point of attack that is is disarray. Blockers laying on the ground with Maluaga on top of them. Hard to run through a hole that is laden with destroyed blockers.

I don't see one lead blocker in the afc west that could handle Rey Maluaga in the hole. He will blow those up, be really good in a 3-4, and probably just by himself improve Broncos run defense by 20-30 yrds a game and stop 3-4 more 3rd down plays.

cutthemdown
04-17-2009, 04:34 PM
You add some girth to the DT spot, draft a player like Rey Maluaga, and IMO teams wont be running up the middle on Broncos anymore.

They would for sure attack the OLB which would still need some work.

In a 3-4 though I think DJ Williams and Rey Maluaga would fit well together.

Maybe even Larsen and Maluaga, put DJ back on strongside and start Woodyard. Woodyard too small for a 3-4 but no way we solve all these problems in this draft.

cutthemdown
04-17-2009, 04:37 PM
ummmmm,,, I probably shouldn't be on this thread for obvious reasons, however I do want to say I think it's a win win whatever we do as long as Larsen gets the nod over rey. I think Larsen is a Bad A$@ however I also think Rey Rey is too,,, so I'm in content as long as our defense just improves!!!

If we go 3-4 and Larsen turned out to be a starter, and Rey Rey got drafted, that would be a formidable inside 3-4 pair. Physical with Larsen being a more cerebral player and Rey Rey out of control flying around blowing up blockers.

Most important thing though is just that the players we pick end up decent to good starters. Hell I like Mack at center with the 18th pick. Not because he will go that high, he probably won't, but because I see him as a 10 yr starter in the NFL. You draft players like that often and you will end up good.

Punisher
04-17-2009, 04:43 PM
You add some girth to the DT spot, draft a player like Rey Maluaga, and IMO teams wont be running up the middle on Broncos anymore.

They would for sure attack the OLB which would still need some work.

In a 3-4 though I think DJ Williams and Rey Maluaga would fit well together.

Maybe even Larsen and Maluaga, put DJ back on strongside and start Woodyard. Woodyard too small for a 3-4 but no way we solve all these problems in this draft.

That sounds Good

27atwater
04-17-2009, 05:25 PM
2 words...JASPER BRINKLEY

2 more words...ROUND THREE

27atwater
04-17-2009, 05:26 PM
I'd love to have Sintim in rd 1 and Brinkley later on. Sintim could play either 3-4 LB spot, but would be ideal on the outside. Dude just has that Pittsburgh Steeler LB body and he plays like it too. He can stop the run and gets to the QB as well.

garandman
04-17-2009, 05:36 PM
Larsen has potential but needs alot of polish to be a full time starter. Rey can step in from day one and they both have a motor but you cant tell me Larsen is in the same class as Rey, athletic wise

elsid13
04-17-2009, 05:43 PM
Larsen has potential but needs alot of polish to be a full time starter. Rey can step in from day one and they both have a motor but you cant tell me Larsen is in the same class as Rey, athletic wise

I can, watch Larson run down Dennis Dixon and complete destroy him. That one of the best plays by LB that I have seen in last 10 years.

MVP-06
04-17-2009, 05:44 PM
who gives a crap about the wonderlic.....didn't Clady score a 12? The guy has a mean streak and that's all you need to be a ilb in the 3-4. We have lacked toughness in the middle since Al left and Rey brings that right away. Jackson at #12 and Rey at #18. Sean Smith in the 2nd Rd and I go to bed happy after the first day

garandman
04-17-2009, 05:45 PM
I can, watch Larson run down Dennis Dixon and complete destroy him. That one of the best plays by LB that I have seen in last 10 years.

Is that on youtube? Who the hell is Dennis Dixon anyway?

BroncoBuff
04-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Spencer Larsen - Josh Barrett - Wesley Woodyard - Carlton Powell - Peyton Hillis REP!

(Clady and Royal too)

elsid13
04-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Is that on youtube? Who the hell is Dennis Dixon anyway?

Dennis Dixon was the QB at Oregon that was serious Heisman candidate. He was extremely fast and mobile, Vick like. Larson chased his ass down on option play and destroyed his knee. From 1st rounder to 5th because of that hit.

Punisher
04-17-2009, 06:01 PM
who gives a crap about the wonderlic.....didn't Clady score a 12? The guy has a mean streak and that's all you need to be a ilb in the 3-4. We have lacked toughness in the middle since Al left and Rey brings that right away. Jackson at #12 and Rey at #18. Sean Smith in the 2nd Rd and I go to bed happy after the first day

I know smart ILB don't work in the 3-4
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mp_FcUiqAEY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mp_FcUiqAEY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Not saying Larsen is the new Gradishar or anything :pray:

MVP-06
04-17-2009, 07:58 PM
I know smart ILB don't work in the 3-4
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mp_FcUiqAEY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mp_FcUiqAEY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Not saying Larsen is the new Gradishar or anything :pray:

actually saw him in a chick-fil-a yesterday. Wonderlic wasnt around when he played anyways. Just curious on how many pro bowlers scored less than 20 on wonderlic since the test began

no-pseudo-fan
04-17-2009, 08:36 PM
Why was the scheme designed that way? Why wasn't he asked to do more? It's not the like coaches knew he could play in coverage and be moved around but chose to simplify his duties because they're jerks. He was given two reads: He rushes the gap and if there is a running back tackle him. If it's a pass play do the same thing but go for a sack. Keep it nice and simple. He's the like guy on an assembly line that picks the widgets off the belt and puts them in a box. He's really really good at that one thing, but outside of that job he's worthless.

He drops into zones, picks off passes, covers his assignment, he reads and reacts, and scares people to death. I really don't understand the Rey hate. You would rather have true one trick ponies such as Maybin, Brown, and Mathews. You would rather have a DE that can't rush the QB, and may never even make it in the NFL. But when faced with a player that coaches, and other players think is the real deal, you say pass. I hope we get him and I really hope that he doesn't go to SD and make us pay twice a year.

Rohirrim
04-17-2009, 09:19 PM
He drops into zones, picks off passes, covers his assignment, he reads and reacts, and scares people to death. I really don't understand the Rey hate. You would rather have true one trick ponies such as Maybin, Brown, and Mathews. You would rather have a DE that can't rush the QB, and may never even make it in the NFL. But when faced with a player that coaches, and other players think is the real deal, you say pass. I hope we get him and I really hope that he doesn't go to SD and make us pay twice a year.

I think Rey will be a star in the NFL. He brings passion, fire and intensity. And he does the one thing that every ILB should do: He scares people. Rey is a throwback. I called it on Polamalu, I'm calling it on Rey. Pass on him and you'll regret it.

BroncoMan4ever
04-17-2009, 09:20 PM
What about this. And i highly doubt that Larsen can start over Andra.I like Spencer too! Just sayin,

JACK L.English E.Dumervil
WILL DJ. Williams W.Woodyard
MIKE S.Larsen A.Davis
SAM B.Cushing B.Bailey

that is really wishful thinking with us getting both English and Cushing.

also, i would rather get Matthews in the SAM and leave Doom as our JACK. i see James Harrison talent written all over Doom

BroncoMan4ever
04-17-2009, 09:24 PM
I agree he's not the brightest he scored a 15 on the Wonderlic test, but I would love to see him in a Bronco uniform.

Here are some other dim bulbs

Tarvaris Jackson 19
Derek Anderson 19
Vince Young 16
Dan Marino 15
Terry Bradshaw 15
Donovan McNabb 14
David Garrard 14
Kordell Stewart 13
Marcus Vick 11
Jeff George 10
Chris Leak 8

Sample Test yourself : http://vandalaysolutions.com/wpt/wpt.html

this list doesn't exactly bring any notice that the Wonderlic is a bad judge of how good a player will be. outside of Marino and McNabb the rest are questionable talents at best. and i throw Bradshaw into that, because he wasn't a great talent, just a recipient of an awesome team around him.

BroncoMan4ever
04-17-2009, 09:34 PM
If you watch Rey play you see he took on blockers more then Cushing or Mathews did. Some players run around blocks, some players destroy the blockers. I think Rey is one of those no nonsense types that says I may not make the tackle, but I am going to blow that FB up right in the hole, and take out the guard at the same time. Faster sleeker LBERS like Mathews would then swoop in to the point of attack that is is disarray. Blockers laying on the ground with Maluaga on top of them. Hard to run through a hole that is laden with destroyed blockers.

I don't see one lead blocker in the afc west that could handle Rey Maluaga in the hole. He will blow those up, be really good in a 3-4, and probably just by himself improve Broncos run defense by 20-30 yrds a game and stop 3-4 more 3rd down plays.

you know who else had the mentallity to just hit random opposing players while not making a tackle....Nate Webster, granted not as good as Rey, but similar mentalities. i don't want another guy like that. i will happily take the guy who takes good angles on a ball carrier and make tackles as opposed to a guy who just wants to blow anyone up on every play.

Matthews is a guy who plays with a fierce intensity, plays fast, hits like a truck and is a really good tackler. Rey is intense, and hits hard but is wild and not going after the ball carrier all the time. Matthews and Cushing just want to obliterate the guy carrying the ball, Rey wants to hit anyone in his way and let someone else get the tackle. and our defense needs solid tacklers not guys who want to make it possible for another player to make a tackle.

socalorado
04-17-2009, 09:42 PM
that is really wishful thinking with us getting both English and Cushing.

also, i would rather get Matthews in the SAM and leave Doom as our JACK. i see James Harrison talent written all over Doom

Dude, talk about wishful thinking! Doom is a back up player in a 3-4 and nothing more. Hes never shown any ability even remotely close to James Harrison. I am as hopeful as the next guy, but relying on Moss and Doom as anything but reserves, regardless of what Doom claims or says, is a bad idea.

Both Cushing and English would be at those spots in just about any mock draft, and they are HUGE upgrades at 2 of the biggest holes on the defense.
Get NT Ron Brace in the 2nd, or NT Dorell Scott in the 3rd. Or DEs Fili Moala, Alex Magee in the 3rd, and DE Mitch King in the 4th, and the front 7 has been completely revamped and upgraded with lots of high motor players.

lazarus4444
04-17-2009, 10:15 PM
I got a 35 at the wonderlic link posted earlier.

socalorado
04-17-2009, 10:25 PM
I think Rey will be a star in the NFL. He brings passion, fire and intensity. And he does the one thing that every ILB should do: He scares people. Rey is a throwback. I called it on Polamalu, I'm calling it on Rey. Pass on him and you'll regret it.

I dont have a real problem with REY. Obviously i think the other two SC LBs are more vital to DENs defensive woes as of right now, but heres the thing with the top LBS in this draft.
Mike Nolan is renown as making good LBs into super star, pro bowl LBs, so if REY is taken by DEN, i dont see why anyone would complain. (except lex of course!)
If Nolan thinks he can take REY to new heights as a player in the NFL, then by all means, let the man work his magic.

no-pseudo-fan
04-17-2009, 10:41 PM
I dont have a real problem with REY. Obviously i think the other two SC LBs are more vital to DENs defensive woes as of right now, but heres the thing with the top LBS in this draft.
Mike Nolan is renown as making good LBs into super star, pro bowl LBs, so if REY is taken by DEN, i dont see why anyone would complain. (except lex of course!)
If Nolan thinks he can take REY to new heights as a player in the NFL, then by all means, let the man work his magic.

This is all I am saying. Rey has the chance to be great, if not an all-time great. We will see. I think that Draft day will be a true indicator of how the coaching staff feels of our current players. Like if we draft a OLB early, they have no faith in what we got. If we draft DE or CB or S, it is showing what we think of the talent on the team. We think we know where Denver is looking, but honestly we have nothing to go off of. Will we use the Patriot draft model? Will Nolan have a big voice on Draft Day? How is our new Scouting Dept? Is our inexperience going to hurt us, or are we going to be free and loose and will to shoot the moon? It is an exciting time. We will really know what the team thinks next Sunday night.

cutthemdown
04-17-2009, 10:48 PM
you know who else had the mentallity to just hit random opposing players while not making a tackle....Nate Webster, granted not as good as Rey, but similar mentalities. i don't want another guy like that. i will happily take the guy who takes good angles on a ball carrier and make tackles as opposed to a guy who just wants to blow anyone up on every play.

Matthews is a guy who plays with a fierce intensity, plays fast, hits like a truck and is a really good tackler. Rey is intense, and hits hard but is wild and not going after the ball carrier all the time. Matthews and Cushing just want to obliterate the guy carrying the ball, Rey wants to hit anyone in his way and let someone else get the tackle. and our defense needs solid tacklers not guys who want to make it possible for another player to make a tackle.

Nope nothing in common between Webster and Rey Maluaga. For one Webster would much rather run around blocks which he often tried to do. His size was a big limiting factor, it kept him from being physical. Maluaga like 250 to Websters 235. There just isn't anything similar in how they play. Webster had a good motor and thats about it.

Rey Rey has shown a real knack for being able to time snaps, get into backfield, make plays behind LOS. That's what NFL linebackers have to be able to do. Blow up blockers, shed blockers, get into backfield, make plays.

Hell what more do you want? Sure he over pursues sometimes but a good d coord will get him in the right spots.

If you guys want a 3-4, you better not stick players like DJ and Boss Bailey inside or you will be sorry. Larsen may just not be a good enough athlete. He looks stiff to me to tell you the truth.

Broncos need at least 1 250 pound inside linebacker IMO. They better draft one.

BroncoBuff
04-17-2009, 10:51 PM
I saw Randy tackle a Jacksonville Jaguar in that video.

If you think about it, that's amazing.

Broncojef
04-17-2009, 10:52 PM
This is all I am saying. Rey has the chance to be great, if not an all-time great. We will see. I think that Draft day will be a true indicator of how the coaching staff feels of our current players. Like if we draft a OLB early, they have no faith in what we got. If we draft DE or CB or S, it is showing what we think of the talent on the team. We think we know where Denver is looking, but honestly we have nothing to go off of. Will we use the Patriot draft model? Will Nolan have a big voice on Draft Day? How is our new Scouting Dept? Is our inexperience going to hurt us, or are we going to be free and loose and will to shoot the moon? It is an exciting time. We will really know what the team thinks next Sunday night.

Fully onboard with the Rey pick he's the guy I want at 12, don't give SD a chance to get this guy. We lucked out he was injured during the combine and fell off people's radar IMO.

Rock Chalk
04-17-2009, 10:56 PM

Dan Marino scored a 16 on his wonderlic.

Just saying.

The wonderlic does not measure Football IQ. In fact, the wonderlic doesnt really measure anything. Its a pointless test mostly designed to see if you coasted through college or you actually paid attention.

BroncoBuff
04-17-2009, 11:24 PM
I'd prefer to not even draft an LB in the first round, regardless of who it is.

Dumervil is a damn smart football player who knows more about pass rush technique than any player in this class. He deserves a shot at the WOLB pass rushing LB job. At the same time we have as promising a physical specimen for the job as you'll find in Jarvis Moss to put behind him on the depth chart. We can work with those two.

I really think we're going to see DJ Williams at SOLB as well. In Nolan's defense its a jack of all trades position and that is exactly what DJ is. He can pass rush a little, covers well, and is a quality run stopper. He can do everything we'd need there and Boss can be his backup as he offers similar diversity in his skill set.

Then at the two ILB spots we let Woodyard, Larsen, and Davis battle it out. I'd expect Davis to take a job just because he'd make a valuable team leader in the middle of the field, while Woodyard and Larsen would probably end up splitting snaps with Woodyard getting predominantly passing situation downs and Larsen running downs.

Draft a couple LBs between the 2nd and 5th (someone like Jasper Brinkley would be ideal) and use the two firsts (if we keep them both) on positions where we don't already have some solid youth (DL, DB) or maybe some extra offensive firepower (RB).

Good stuff ... I like Andra and Spencer to start, but we gotta get Woodyard on the field.

cutthemdown
04-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Good stuff ... I like Andra and Spencer to start, but we gotta get Woodyard on the field.

Woodyard I would think comes in when Broncos show a 4-3 look, Or maybe plays as a 5th linebacker in short yrdage 3-4.

He really doesn't fit a 3-4 defense at any spot. Small tenacious Lbers need to be on weakside in a 4-3 so they have the extra DT to help keep OL off them. In a 3-4 Woodyard plays where?

I'm interested to know where do the woodyard lovers feel he would play in a base 3-4.

cutthemdown
04-17-2009, 11:54 PM
Fully onboard with the Rey pick he's the guy I want at 12, don't give SD a chance to get this guy. We lucked out he was injured during the combine and fell off people's radar IMO.

If Broncos got Rey Rey I would be stoked. I loved watching him at USC and think despite his limitation in pass coverage he is just what Broncos need to start new nasty attitude and get bigger. He instantly would become most physical player Broncos have in front 7. Put a big body at NT and Rey Rey spends all day in opposing teams backfields.

True Rey Rey wont fix the problems we had last yr with outside pressure on QBS, but I do feel he can bring inside pressure on the QB.

Houshyamama
04-18-2009, 12:03 AM
I just think our defense last year reflected a lot of the teams internal problems as it pertains to intensity and willing your way to wins....a lot of teams get some bad breaks here and there during a game but have those players who keep everybody up....not just by yelling or chest bumping but just pure fire...

for example: QB throws a pick inside our 30....last year this was an automatic 7 points on the board for the other team....and it was like everyone on the defense knew it...

guys like B-Dawk and Rey don't take the field with that attitude......i

go ooon....

Dedhed
04-18-2009, 05:11 AM
People talking about Cushing and Matthews ahead of Rey just goes to show that the media runs things. Espn and NFLN have been slobbering over those two; "Matthews is the son of a coach, squawk" and "Cushing is blue-collar. I know because he has a show where he works out at a home town gym, squawk".

Put on game film, and it isn't even close. Rey was THE disruptive force on that defense and brings the kind of violence to the field that opposing players and coaches are keenly aware of throughout the entire week leading up to a game.

It's another example of being blinded by the combine instead of looking at what happened on the field, and that's always a mistake.

RocBronc
04-18-2009, 05:56 AM
People talking about Cushing and Matthews ahead of Rey just goes to show that the media runs things. Espn and NFLN have been slobbering over those two; "Matthews is the son of a coach, squawk" and "Cushing is blue-collar. I know because he has a show where he works out at a home town gym, squawk".

Put on game film, and it isn't even close. Rey was THE disruptive force on that defense and brings the kind of violence to the field that opposing players and coaches are keenly aware of throughout the entire week leading up to a game.

It's another example of being blinded by the combine instead of looking at what happened on the field, and that's always a mistake.

Actually, I was turned off to Maulauga much before the combine... Watching USC games I just didn't see him around the ball consistantly. To me he's the type of college player that won't transfer well to the NFL. I also think he will be a much better 4-3 MLB (than 3-4) because he's better protected and it's more based on instinct than smarts/savvy.

Drek
04-18-2009, 06:06 AM
Woodyard I would think comes in when Broncos show a 4-3 look, Or maybe plays as a 5th linebacker in short yrdage 3-4.

He really doesn't fit a 3-4 defense at any spot. Small tenacious Lbers need to be on weakside in a 4-3 so they have the extra DT to help keep OL off them. In a 3-4 Woodyard plays where?

I'm interested to know where do the woodyard lovers feel he would play in a base 3-4.

Weakside ILB, which in Nolan's system has probably the most similar requirements to the 4-3 WOLB.

Patrick Willis isn't a trench fighter, he ranges from sideline to sideline and finishes plays. That is what we'd use Woodyard for. In fact, Patrick Willis is all of 6'1", 240 and he's a demon at ILB in Nolan's system. I've questioned the legitimacy of Woodyard being referenced on NFL.com as 6'1", 230 but he did look noticeably bigger last season than in college. In fact, I'd say of all our draftees last year he showed the most immediate payoffs from an NFL styled conditioning program. If that trend continues he could easily be in the high 230's/low 240's and a respectable sized fit for the WILB.

elsid13
04-18-2009, 06:14 AM
At the end of the day, I have strange feeling that we will see a lot of rotation within front seven dependent on down and distance. I could see both Boss and DJ flexing out wide when it clear passing down, Doom/Moss putting their hand in the dirt and Woodyard coming in to play nickle back role.

While in running downs I see Doom in Joker role, DJ WILB, Larson/Davis on SILB and Boss playing the other OLB as defender against the TE.

cutthemdown
04-18-2009, 06:32 AM
Weakside ILB, which in Nolan's system has probably the most similar requirements to the 4-3 WOLB.

Patrick Willis isn't a trench fighter, he ranges from sideline to sideline and finishes plays. That is what we'd use Woodyard for. In fact, Patrick Willis is all of 6'1", 240 and he's a demon at ILB in Nolan's system. I've questioned the legitimacy of Woodyard being referenced on NFL.com as 6'1", 230 but he did look noticeably bigger last season than in college. In fact, I'd say of all our draftees last year he showed the most immediate payoffs from an NFL styled conditioning program. If that trend continues he could easily be in the high 230's/low 240's and a respectable sized fit for the WILB.

I don't rule Woodyard out. He seemed to have a high motor and a physical side to his play.

Broncos can probably play DJ and Woodyard at the WILB as long as they have a real physical presence at the other inside spot and at the nose tackle position.

I'm not saying Woodyard won't find a spot in a 3-4, but I think he needs to get bigger or be really special player. I just don't see Patrick Willis type talent from Woodyard.

Drek
04-18-2009, 07:26 AM

Andra Davis is going to be a short timer here. He's already 30 and has had some nasty injuries. He's on the team to help transition guys into the 3-4 and be a leader on and off the field. Unless he pulls off a medical miracle and somehow doesn't have any age decline over the next few seasons he's off the roster in two years, maybe three tops.

That should be just about when Woodyard and Larsen are fully developed in the system.

I don't rule Woodyard out. He seemed to have a high motor and a physical side to his play.

Broncos can probably play DJ and Woodyard at the WILB as long as they have a real physical presence at the other inside spot and at the nose tackle position.

I'm not saying Woodyard won't find a spot in a 3-4, but I think he needs to get bigger or be really special player. I just don't see Patrick Willis type talent from Woodyard.

Woodyard is never going to be Patrick Willis, but he can likely fill the same role in Nolan's 3-4 front. Not as well but Patrick Willis is one of the best ILBs in the NFL, if Woodyard is even 75% of Willis at ILB he'd be better than league average. Jerod Mayo is another worthwhile comp. He fills a similar role for the Pats, won defensive ROY, and was listed at only 230 at the combine. He's since put on 12 pounds if you believe NFL.com. The 3-4 doesn't require a big 245+ bruiser at both ILB spots, especially with how Nolan prefers to run it. We need a guy who can finish plays teamed with a guy who can fill gaps and direct traffic. Woodyard alongside Davis or Larsen seems a pretty good fit for that job.

As for DJ, I can't help but think he ends up at SOLB. Its a very important position in the 3-4 and he fills it better than anyone on our roster or in this draft, short of getting Aaron Curry.

Pony Boy
04-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Do you guys realize this is actually a thread about "Broncos Football"? I'm sitting back in my chair and reading this thread, and having a good cup of coffee and enjoying the football talk! Nice job guys!:thanku:

baja
04-18-2009, 08:34 AM
What kind of coffee? ;D

Punisher
04-18-2009, 09:57 AM
Do you guys realize this is actually a thread about "Broncos Football"? I'm sitting back in my chair and reading this thread, and having a good cup of coffee and enjoying the football talk! Nice job guys!:thanku:

Thanks for the thread love rep :thumbs:

Tombstone RJ
04-18-2009, 10:07 AM
I got a 35 at the wonderlic link posted earlier.

I only scored a 5. How does that work?

Punisher
04-18-2009, 10:10 AM
heres everyone scores on the wonderlic

http://orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=67154

Tombstone RJ
04-18-2009, 10:25 AM
heres everyone scores on the wonderlic

http://orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=67154

I don't get it.

Punisher
04-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Um just take a look at the Thread everyone Scores are there plus the wonderlic test is there too...