PDA

View Full Version : OT - Susan Boyle: Britains Got Talent

Breaker
04-17-2009, 07:57 AM
I know that this has been circulating around the internet for a couple weeks now, however I am not sure that everyone who should see this video actually has seen it. The ladies name is Susan Boyle and she appeared on Britain"s Got Talent with Simon Cowell as a judge. If you have not seen this it is truly must see tv.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

Breaker
04-17-2009, 08:03 AM
Bump

kelinsky1
04-17-2009, 08:31 AM
She was not really met with, shall we say 'open arms', because of her looks.
But boy did that change after she started singing. What a voice.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-17-2009, 08:36 AM
Ive had to listen/watch this in my office about 348953893458934578358938957348953485839 times

Kaylore
04-17-2009, 09:28 AM
I thought it was cute because everyone expected her to suck. However she's not that amazing of a singer. If she looked good they'd say she was average.

Meck77
04-17-2009, 09:49 AM
I don't see what all the fuss is about. I guess it's because her face doesn't match the voice. Shrug.

ZONA
04-17-2009, 10:21 AM
she's not that amazing of a singer.

Agreed. Very average voice. Can hold a tune just fine but I've seen many an average singer have that type of vanilla voice. There's a reason why she never went onto because a professional singer.

prunch
04-17-2009, 10:36 AM
classic underdog story ... fabulous

BroncoLifer
04-17-2009, 10:56 AM
I thought it was cute because everyone expected her to suck. However she's not that amazing of a singer. If she looked good they'd say she was average.

When I saw the video I asked myself if she was truly that great or if the response and subsequent hype was driven by the backstory and by her exceeding everyone's expectations.

I watched it again to be sure and concluded that she has a good voice that's better than 99% of the no-talent acts that try out for these sorts of shows -- but it just isn't really all that special compared to actual professional singers. YouTube also has a clip of the woman who sang that song in the Broadway production and to my ear she is a lot better than Susan Boyle.

Props to Susan for having the guts to put herself out there and she does have a nice voice. Beyond that it's hype over substance.

DenverBrit
04-17-2009, 10:59 AM
You're all missing the point.

Never had a date, never been kissed, 47 years old, lives in Scotland, has a house with a basement.

It's Boob's dream date, a perfect match. Ha!

SonOfLe-loLang
04-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Agreed. Very average voice. Can hold a tune just fine but I've seen many an average singer have that type of vanilla voice. There's a reason why she never went onto because a professional singer.

What is it about the human psyche thats lends itself towards negativity and hate? We are such digusting creatures, all of us.

crawdad
04-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Give it a break guys. This woman is living her dream and was impressive. Stop raining on her parade. It was a heart-warming performance and that is what the world needs theses days...Good news!

Broncobuddy7
04-17-2009, 12:01 PM
I thought she was really impressive. But I still don't get all the hype.

eddie mac
04-17-2009, 12:44 PM
When I saw the video I asked myself if she was truly that great or if the response and subsequent hype was driven by the backstory and by her exceeding everyone's expectations.

I watched it again to be sure and concluded that she has a good voice that's better than 99% of the no-talent acts that try out for these sorts of shows -- but it just isn't really all that special compared to actual professional singers. YouTube also has a clip of the woman who sang that song in the Broadway production and to my ear she is a lot better than Susan Boyle.
Props to Susan for having the guts to put herself out there and she does have a nice voice. Beyond that it's hype over substance.

Maybe some of that is down to the 15 years or more of voice training and dramatics under her belt.

What you just heard was a 47 year old untrained voice. Who the **** knows what could be done with that given the right training, albeit age is likely against her in terms of professionalism but I will tell you this. A young girl sang on that show last year and actually never won it but has now had the fastest selling operatic debut album ever in the UK and she will be global.

Furthermore that song was also performed live in front of 4000 people, more than likely the most Miss Boyle's ever sang in front of is 100 on a Sunday.

You cannot compare that to anything professional, not yet and certainly not until she gets the opportunity to perform that way if she ever does.

eddie mac
04-17-2009, 12:45 PM
I thought she was really impressive. But I still don't get all the hype.

The hype comes from the old saying.

Never judge a book by the cover.

snowspot66
04-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Maybe some of that is down to the 15 years or more of voice training and dramatics under her belt.

What you just heard was a 47 year old untrained voice. Who the **** knows what could be done with that given the right training, albeit age is likely against her in terms of professionalism but I will tell you this. A young girl sang on that show last year and actually never won it but has now had the fastest selling operatic debut album ever in the UK and she will be global.

Furthermore that song was also performed live in front of 4000 people, more than likely the most Miss Boyle's ever sang in front of is 100 on a Sunday.

You cannot compare that to anything professional, not yet and certainly not until she gets the opportunity to perform that way if she ever does.

You're forgetting the all important van of sound equipment making people sound better than they are. Most of the rich bastards we call musicians can't even sing.

This lady can sing and the harshest talent critic on the planet agrees with that sentiment. He already signed her to his record label after hearing her audition.

KansasBronco
04-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks for posting this. I had never seen it. That was awesome.

Rob

Hogan11
04-17-2009, 01:56 PM
The hype comes from the old saying.

Never judge a book by the cover.

Yup, overcoming all that initial scepticism and sarcasm from everyone there based upon her looks and the pre singing exchange was the story. That was the real triumph.

BroncoLifer
04-17-2009, 02:35 PM
This lady can sing and the harshest talent critic on the planet agrees with that sentiment. He already signed her to his record label after hearing her audition.

Simon Cowell is a genius at marketing above all else. He signs acts who will sell, not necessarily those who are most talented - there is a distinction. Based on the interest this last week, Susan Boyle will sell, for sure.

cutthemdown
04-17-2009, 02:55 PM
yeah her performance blew my mind. She truly has a rare voice. What control of her vibrato, and what tone in the lower register. Then she effortlessly pushes her range up where most women would be sweating and really having to try hard.

Unfrigginbelievable what a great voice this women has.

Very cool she got her chance to show the world.

cutthemdown
04-17-2009, 03:00 PM
You're forgetting the all important van of sound equipment making people sound better than they are. Most of the rich bastards we call musicians can't even sing.

In pop music, in rock music yes. In opera, classical, jazz there is no hiding lack of musicianship. I don't care what gadgets you have no equipment could make a crap singer sound like this lady did.

True you can use harmonizers, gadgets that change the tuning, reverb, overdubbs, more then one vocal track etc etc to make crap pop singers sound decent. The reason is the notes and rhythms of pop and rock, the chords used, the range demanded, is just so much more in classical or Jazz singing.

You are spot on though, this ladies voice is epic, it needs no help from electronics.

I gotta say her voice moved me and reminded me of a top notch Broadway voice. I've heard a lot of people sing and I think she is probably one of the best voices I have heard.

Taco John
04-17-2009, 03:09 PM
I thought she was a fine singer. I can't believe anybody could call her voice average. She's got some above average range, and best of all the crystal clear tonal quality of it is absolutely superb. There are few professional singers who have such clear tone. And this is just her in front of an audience for a one time shot. I can only imagine how much better she can get with practice singing in front of audiences.

cutthemdown
04-17-2009, 03:43 PM
I thought she was a fine singer. I can't believe anybody could call her voice average. She's got some above average range, and best of all the crystal clear tonal quality of it is absolutely superb. There are few professional singers who have such clear tone. And this is just her in front of an audience for a one time shot. I can only imagine how much better she can get with practice singing in front of audiences.

We don't know her range yet. Seemed to me she had plenty left if she wanted to. What I was impressed with was how crisply and smoothly she went from phrase to phrase, and her breath control. Seemed very easy for her.

Also her dynamics were really good. She didn't overstate the vibrato, or make the loud passages too loud, soft passages to soft. Many amateur singers in an effort to be emotional, have dynamics, they over do it. Pretty much all the pop singers do that IMO.

BBB1980
04-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Yes she is amazing if you have ever seen this Musical and know just how difficult the song is the you would understand the hype. There is now a 2nd song out that she did for a charity recording in 1999 and the woman has pipes and can sing.

orangeatheist
04-17-2009, 04:03 PM
I'll say this much. Boyle can out-sing this crap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mVEGfH4s5g

Bronx33
04-17-2009, 04:05 PM
I'll say this much. Boyle can out-sing this crap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mVEGfH4s5g

but can boyle suck start a harley?

Hogan11
04-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Her performance on that British show was amazing.....her performance on Larry King? Not so much.

Breaker
04-17-2009, 04:23 PM
I don't see what all the fuss is about. I guess it's because her face doesn't match the voice. Shrug.

Really? As a vocalist and a musician I could not disagree more with you. Her control and her power is really difficult to control. Also anyone who has a truly multi octave voice is incredible. Simon Cowell thought she was stunning and he would know the music industry pretty well.

BroncoBuff
04-17-2009, 04:24 PM
I can't stop watching this ... 30+ times the past couple days.

She is a very good singer, powerful and a smooth vibrato. And the song she selected was perfect.

DenverBrit
04-17-2009, 04:30 PM
As terrific as her story is, it started last year, same show with this guy......a superior talent and also a compelling 'everyman.'

For those who didn't see this car phone salesman:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/McSi6K83wC8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/McSi6K83wC8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Rock Chalk
04-17-2009, 05:28 PM
I saw this 3 days ago and was flat out amazes.

Im not even a big music guy, but her voice actually sent a shiver down my back.

Im not sure what was average about it. Ive heard lots of singers and rarely do they send a shiver down my back with their voice alone.

Dagmar
04-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Scottish people rock.

Breaker
04-20-2009, 05:39 AM
Susan Boyle singing Cry Me A River on a charity CD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2DxkrgpgQ

broncoblue
04-20-2009, 11:59 AM

Never had a date, never been kissed, 47 years old, lives in Scotland, has a house with a basement.

or dags or dustys hhahahaha....crappest prog on tv at the moment.

Cito Pelon
04-20-2009, 12:11 PM
I liked hearing Susan's voice, very powerful.

broncocalijohn
04-20-2009, 12:21 PM

she wouldnt hit it but i have a feeling a few here would on a dare.

broncocalijohn
04-20-2009, 12:33 PM

of course it is the reason. Some hottie up there singing wouldnt have this much pup. Amazing story and it made me feel really good inside that someone that probably hasnt had the breaks in life because of her looks had finally found in outlet more than the local pub during karaoke night. Great voice and she would be perfect for soundtracks for movies. The looks arent there but that voice sure is and I hope the best for her.

anon
04-20-2009, 01:32 PM
A musician/vocalist friend was telling me about this the other day but I just decided to watch the video now. I don't know what "average voice" means to you guys, but she has a fantastic voice: clear, strong, controlled. It's really wonderful to see somebody make it strictly because of talent, even if it's also a bit of a marketing gimmick.

cutthemdown
04-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Her performance on that British show was amazing.....her performance on Larry King? Not so much.

you mean where she sang perfectly in tune with no backing track or band? Dude that is not easy to do.

Boobs McGee
04-20-2009, 02:56 PM
I thought she had a fairly decent voice...nothing truly spectacular. She went flat quite a bit, her lower register wasn't that strong, and she was getting pretty nasally on some of the higher stuff. I know with a little stage fright, the tendency to sing through your head more comes out, so I listened to that other clip somebody posted of her recording. Her vibrato was much easier to listen to, the control was much better, and it showed off her range a little more I thougth. Her dynamics were MUCH better too.

P.s., anybody who thinks I dreamed a dream is a tough song needs to watch Les Mis again (Bring him home, heart full of love, way tougher imo). The standard key that song is performed in goes from a low A to an E, I think...octave and a half maybe.

Three octave voice? I don't think so.

Decent voice and a great story? Definitely

Meck77
04-20-2009, 03:11 PM
I watched it again. Still no real tingly feeling....

Now this is entertainment!

Move over Susan....
Stavros Flatly - Greek Irish Dancers - Britains Got Talent 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gHvATmUsSg

Boobs McGee
04-20-2009, 03:24 PM

Move over Susan....

aahahahahaaaaa that was awesome:rofl:

DenverBrit
04-20-2009, 03:26 PM

Move over Susan....

LOL Hilarious! Hilarious!

Ratboy
04-20-2009, 04:06 PM

:spit: LOL Hilarious! :wave: Ha! :clown:

She was very good.

Hogan11
04-20-2009, 11:30 PM
you mean where she sang perfectly in tune with no backing track or band? Dude that is not easy to do.

She was not even close to that on King...may have been a misstep or not....I really don't know nor care, to be honest about the whole thing.

cutthemdown
04-21-2009, 12:25 AM
She was not even close to that on King...may have been a misstep or not....I really don't know nor care, to be honest about the whole thing.

It's pretty hard to sing with no music though. And I probably shouldn't have said she was in tune because I don't have perfect pitch. She sounded pretty damn good to me though.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-21-2009, 05:16 AM

Move over Susan....

:rofl:

That made my morning...

baja
04-21-2009, 05:57 AM
Boy oh boy this place is loaded with smug basstards. You have to take a feel good story and and pick it apart in an attempt to show how clever a voice critic you are. Millions of people from around the world have watched that beautiful performance and been moved by it. I bet I got seven emails with the link to Susan Boyle's performance. I enjoyed it greatly, I enjoyed the look on the faces of the judges and the audience it was heart warming. You guys that can only manage your feeble attempts at being voice critics are totally missing the point and that is your loss. If ever a thread belonged in the butt this is it and not because of Susan Boyle either.

Boobs McGee
04-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Boy oh boy this place is loaded with smug basstards. You have to take a feel good story and and pick it apart in an attempt to show how clever a voice critic you are. Millions of people from around the world have watched that beautiful performance and been moved by it. I bet I got seven emails with the link to Susan Boyle's performance. I enjoyed it greatly, I enjoyed the look on the faces of the judges and the audience it was heart warming. You guys that can only manage your feeble attempts at being voice critics are totally missing the point and that is your loss. If ever a thread belonged in the butt this is it and not because of Susan Boyle either.

I'll say it again, I thought it was a great story. And if this is the type of thing that moves people, then keep it going. I just find it humorous that people make it seem like she's the second coming of celine or something. If my "feeble attempts at being a voice critic" ruffle some feathers, then so be it. BUT, the whole point of being on a show like that is being subject to criticism...and then if the judges decide you're the best at what you do, you win. It's a competition.

Great story, decent voice.

I'm not taking away from the fact that she made the almightily douchebagesque simon shut his mouth for a few minutes, because that was priceless. Just goes to show that even HE succumbs to the old stereotype of judging a book by its cover.

I don't see anything wrong with critiquing a singer that has chosen to put herself in the national spotlight.

Again, great story.

baja
04-21-2009, 07:54 AM
I'll say it again, I thought it was a great story. And if this is the type of thing that moves people, then keep it going. I just find it humorous that people make it seem like she's the second coming of celine or something. If my "feeble attempts at being a voice critic" ruffle some feathers, then so be it. BUT, the whole point of being on a show like that is being subject to criticism...and then if the judges decide you're the best at what you do, you win. It's a competition.

Great story, decent voice.

I'm not taking away from the fact that she made the almightily douchebagesque simon shut his mouth for a few minutes, because that was priceless. Just goes to show that even HE succumbs to the old stereotype of judging a book by its cover.

I don't see anything wrong with critiquing a singer that has chosen to put herself in the national spotlight.

<b>Again, great story.

That's all I'm sayin. ;D

Boobs McGee
04-21-2009, 08:00 AM
That's all I'm sayin. ;D

Haha, fair enough. I'll shut up now^5

listopencil
04-21-2009, 08:31 AM
Susan Boyle singing Cry Me A River on a charity CD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2DxkrgpgQ

Wow. Is that really her? That was haunting and beautiful.

ElwayMD
04-21-2009, 09:20 AM
I see this performance as a big **** you to society as a whole. We have become so jaded thinking that someone who isn't good looking can't be successful in life or talented. I would have loved it if she flipped everyone the bird after breaking into her song. Talent and beauty are not joined at the hip, I'm glad everyone in that room and everyone who watched the video got that message.

baja
04-21-2009, 09:22 AM
I see this performance as a big **** you to society as a whole. We have become so jaded thinking that someone who isn't good looking can't be successful in life or talented. I would have loved it if she flipped everyone the bird after breaking into her song. Talent and beauty are not joined at the hip, I'm glad everyone in that room and everyone who watched the video got that message.

<b>B I N G O </b>

broncosteven
04-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Everyone is "moved" and loves her performance but what would your perception of her be if you didn't know she could sing or had any talent?

Here is a good story on the whole thing.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-schmich-bd19-apr19,0,6444611.column

I hope she has fun during her 15 minutes of fame, I just hope people remember her for how good she made them feel after she is discarded by the media and she is treated with the same love and respect the rest of her life, not just while she is famous.

broncocalijohn
04-21-2009, 12:37 PM

Move over Susan....

ok, that was awesome. You can only imagine which family members would have been embarrassed that they would go on the show and use their last name but something many father/sons would never think of doing. REP!