PDA

View Full Version : OT - Crowdsourcing Web 2.0

broncosteven
04-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Anyone ever heard of Croudsourcing or participated in it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowdsourcing

I saw a piece on WTTW's Chicago Tonight (you know the New Home of JC) Anyway it seemed interesting if not profitable.

Wondered what the Web 2.0 contingent here thought of it.

alkemical
04-16-2009, 02:16 PM
The business should then make a big assed donation to that group of people.

broncosteven
04-16-2009, 02:18 PM
The business should then make a big assed donation to that group of people.

I guess Amazon has a feature where you get paid Pennies for labeling pictures and ****.

I don't see how anyone could make enough money to go to a movie or buy coffee let alone make a living doing this ****.

In one way it is taking away a low paying job from someone that needs it. In other ways smaller companys get work done that they couldn't otherwise.

I wonder what the tax implications are also.

I just saw this last night. Still digging

alkemical
04-16-2009, 02:21 PM
I guess Amazon has a feature where you get paid Pennies for labeling pictures and ****.

I don't see how anyone could make enough money to go to a movie or buy coffee let alone make a living doing this ****.

In one way it is taking away a low paying job from someone that needs it. In other ways smaller companys get work done that they couldn't otherwise.

I wonder what the tax implications are also.

I just saw this last night. Still digging

Don't get me wrong - i see some really good upside to it. But i feel like it's an even further "wal*marting" of america.

Being in IT, i've seen wages decline for the last 10 years as an overall - and to me this is just an even further extension. We now have to compete wage wise with other countries because our corporations demand it.

broncosteven
04-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Don't get me wrong - i see some really good upside to it. But i feel like it's an even further "wal*marting" of america.

Being in IT, i've seen wages decline for the last 10 years as an overall - and to me this is just an even further extension. We now have to compete wage wise with other countries because our corporations demand it.

Exactly.

They can get it done from some dude in his moms basement. They don't pay him a salary and they don't have to pay benfits. There are all sorts of peopel submitting work and they can pick and choose.

Another way corporations are destroying the InterneTS!

alkemical
04-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Exactly.

They can get it done from some dude in his moms basement. They don't pay him a salary and they don't have to pay benfits. There are all sorts of peopel submitting work and they can pick and choose.

Another way corporations are destroying the InterneTS!

Not just the internets - but a lot more than that. It's driving wages down. Due to the economic situation, i can attest to some people doing what they need to do - but at the same time - these companies that are out to lowball should be sort of taxed on it - so that way it can pay for the unemployment/programs someone making $3/hr will need.