PDA

View Full Version : OT Ice in the cooler for camping ?

Quoydogs
04-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Did anyone check out Mythbusters last night. They made a substance called pykrete. Anyways it is wood pulp soaked in water and it will stay frozen 12 times longer then ice. ( they made it out of newspapers ) They made a boat out of frozen newspaper and if ran and floated for like and hour.

Anyways I always run out of Ice in my cooler when camping and I was thinking about trying this, wondered if anyone else has? If so does it last longer in a cooler and does it make a huge mess.

Thanks

Beantown Bronco
04-16-2009, 09:03 AM
Did they compare how long it lasted compared to the re-usable non water based ice packs that you often see in coolers?

Quoydogs
04-16-2009, 09:11 AM
Did they compare how long it lasted compared to the re-usable non water based ice packs that you often see in coolers?

Nope. But I will say that my frosty packs only last half as long as a block of ice.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Man, I have GOT to start watching that show.

Quoydogs
04-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Man, I have GOT to start watching that show.

They put the boat to the test to. Strapped a 150 yami. on the back of it and made it up to 30mph in a flat bottom boat. They also split a car into two pieces with a snow plow blade.

Rohirrim
04-16-2009, 09:41 AM
I liked the one where they tested if a guy could fly on a piece of plywood from off of a three story roof.

No. He can't. Ha!

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-16-2009, 09:44 AM
They put the boat to the test to. Strapped a 150 yami. on the back of it and made it up to 30mph in a flat bottom boat. They also split a car into two pieces with a snow plow blade.

Bad. Ass.

24champ
04-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Did anyone check out Mythbusters last night. They made a substance called pykrete. Anyways it is wood pulp soaked in water and it will stay frozen 12 times longer then ice. ( they made it out of newspapers ) They made a boat out of frozen newspaper and if ran and floated for like and hour.

Anyways I always run out of Ice in my cooler when camping and I was thinking about trying this, wondered if anyone else has? If so does it last longer in a cooler and does it make a huge mess.

Thanks

Let me get this straight... frozen newspaper lasts 12 hours longer than regular ice?

snowspot66
04-16-2009, 10:10 AM
My favorite I think is the log they turned into a functional cannon and then plugged the barrel and let it rip.

Quoydogs
04-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Let me get this straight... frozen newspaper lasts 12 hours longer than regular ice?
12 times longer.

Quoydogs
04-16-2009, 10:16 AM
My favorite I think is the log they turned into a functional cannon and then plugged the barrel and let it rip.

What about the cement truck and the C4 The biggest explosion ever.You could see the shock wave.

maher_tyler
04-16-2009, 10:23 AM
I liked the one where they were testing to see if you could be shot when your underwater with even a 50 cal. Can't remember the exact depth but after around 6 inches or so the bullet would break up into small peices everytime..didn't matter how powerfull the weapon being used was. So in movies when guys get shot when they're under water is a myth.

24champ
04-16-2009, 10:33 AM
12 times longer.

Thanks for the tip...seeing that camping season is around the corner. Least I hope so...supposed to snow the next couple days in Denver. :nono:

snowspot66
04-16-2009, 10:38 AM
What about the cement truck and the C4 The biggest explosion ever.You could see the shock wave.

Big explosions are cool and all but how many times do you get to see a cannon made out of a log?

I prefer the creative explosions.

Quoydogs
04-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the tip...seeing that camping season is around the corner. Least I hope so...supposed to snow the next couple days in Denver. :nono:

First snow camping rocks!! Now I don't know that it will last longer in a cooler. I saw the show and it does in water or just out side but in a cooler? One would think so though.

Quoydogs
04-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Big explosions are cool and all but how many times do you get to see a cannon made out of a log?

I prefer the creative explosions.

I will agree with this but man you should have seen there faces. It was way bigger then they thought it would be. The shock wave was hard to beet in my book. I do like the fact that they plugged the cannon though

DenverBroncosJM
04-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Heres the problem. When ice melts you dump it out...When frozen newspaper melts you strain it and then throw it away? Sounds like a huge mess

Quoydogs
04-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Heres the problem. When ice melts you dump it out...When frozen newspaper melts you strain it and then throw it away? Sounds like a huge mess

Yep but what about you seal it in a pcv tube or something? I am curious if it makes a difference in the cooler or not. I think it may for better or worse I am freezing some right now. I will post the results. If it works as good as they tested it you should be able to keep a 5 day cooler say on a back packing trip for 10 days with no extra weight.

snowspot66
04-16-2009, 11:07 AM
It's paper. You can just ditch it. Put it in a fire pit or toss it in a dumpster. It will degrade or burn eventually.

Quoydogs
04-16-2009, 07:53 PM
It's paper. You can just ditch it. Put it in a fire pit or toss it in a dumpster. It will degrade or burn eventually.

Try telling that to my wife :rofl:

Broncobiv
04-16-2009, 08:15 PM
I liked the one where they were testing to see if you could be shot when your underwater with even a 50 cal. Can't remember the exact depth but after around 6 inches or so the bullet would break up into small peices everytime..didn't matter how powerfull the weapon being used was. So in movies when guys get shot when they're under water is a myth.
I remember from that episode, that the smaller caliber bullet, the further underwater it would go. So those huge explosions would only go a few inches underwater, but the small bullets would actually pierce further down. Still no more that a couple feet I don't think, so you'd still be safe swimming underwater.