PDA

View Full Version : John Madden to retire.

Dagmar
04-16-2009, 08:40 AM
NEW YORK - NBC Sports (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30246064/#) Chairman Dick Ebersol announced today that John Madden, Hall of Fame coach and the most honored broadcaster in sports television history, has decided to retire from broadcasting.

Madden issued the following statement today:

"It’s time. I’m 73 years old. My 50th wedding anniversary is this fall. I have two great sons and their families and my five grandchildren are at an age now when they know when I’m home and, more importantly, when I’m not…

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30246064/

theAPAOps5
04-16-2009, 08:44 AM
when? This year or after this year? I guess he is taking the Favre retirement hard.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Boom!

Where's Plummer???
04-16-2009, 08:52 AM
Boom!

HAHA!!! well he's gonna be a missed man. he has been lookin pretty bad the past few years...

Dagmar
04-16-2009, 08:52 AM
Collinsworth replacing Madden on SNF, and Millen replacing Collinsworth? I didn't care for Millen...

according to PFT
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/16/john-madden-retires/

snowspot66
04-16-2009, 09:06 AM
I do like Collinsworth though. He's alright.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-16-2009, 09:07 AM
"Now, now Al, what you see here is how a quarterback releases the pass. See, he drops back, and then his arm moves forward, and he lets go of the ball, sending it forward. Stronger-armed quarterbacks can throw the ball harder and farther than, than weaker-armed quarterbacks. And right here, you see how he throws it forward, and the pass is completed. Boom! Right there."

MileHighMagic
04-16-2009, 09:08 AM
I got dibs on his bus.

OrangeRising
04-16-2009, 09:10 AM
John Madden was my football comfort commentator.

It's hard now to think how hated this man was when he coached the Raiders, but I only grew up with the broadcaster, and he has been a great one.

He will be missed.

GoHAM
04-16-2009, 09:11 AM
Sweet, less wear and tear on my mute button this season!

Smiling Assassin27
04-16-2009, 09:13 AM
when? This year or after this year? I guess he is taking the Favre retirement hard.

:rofl:

Brett, if loving is you is wrong, I don't wanna be right...

Sincerely,

John

Broncosfreak_56
04-16-2009, 09:14 AM
http://taylormadetirade.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/favremadden5rw1.jpg

Dedhed
04-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Say what you will, but the man is an icon, and synonymous with NFL football. He's meant as much to the game as just about anyone.

Dudeskey
04-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Looks like Frank Caliendo needs to find new material or else he's screwed...™

DeuceOfClub
04-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Too often "legendary broadcasters" retires well past their prime.

I can't say I'll miss anything from the last 5 years of him broadcasting.

Pony Boy
04-16-2009, 09:23 AM
My favorite John Madden quote

Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.

sisterhellfyre
04-16-2009, 09:25 AM
NEW YORK - NBC Chairman Dick Ebersol announced today that John Madden, Hall of Fame coach and the most honored broadcaster in sports television history, has decided to retire from broadcasting.

It's about time. I wish him nothing but the best for the rest of his days, but he really should have done this some time ago. He's been a painful embarrassment on MNF for at least the last five years.

ElwayMD
04-16-2009, 09:26 AM
It's about time he called it quits. He looked like he was about to pass out whenever you saw him on camera.

footstepsfrom#27
04-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Sweet, less wear and tear on my mute button this season!
Ditto...it's all over now fat man!

Old geezers who hang 'em up typically kick off in a year or so...hopefully he takes up something else rewarding like renting himself out to blow up the Goodyear blimp.

Garcia Bronco
04-16-2009, 09:30 AM
My favorite John Madden quote

Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.

On which QB should start in the playoff.

"You have to dance with the girl you brought to the prom."

Pony Boy
04-16-2009, 09:34 AM
It's about time. I wish him nothing but the best for the rest of his days, but he really should have done this some time ago. He's been a painful embarrassment on MNF for at least the last five years.

I remember Madden during a Bucs-Eagles MNF game where Madden spent about 2 minutes talking about how sweaty Bucs C John Wade's ass was and how it was affecting the snap. It was funny as hell.

dbfan21
04-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Just for good measure....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XBW7ysPcbT0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XBW7ysPcbT0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Caliendo does a great Madden! Hilarious!

maher_tyler
04-16-2009, 09:51 AM
He was a great commentator but he should have done this when he left Fox imo.

Where's Plummer???
04-16-2009, 10:19 AM
the good ole days... <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WeofWKqgjpE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WeofWKqgjpE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Beantown Bronco
04-16-2009, 10:23 AM
I'm going to have to devour a bloomin' onion in his honor tonight.

Jekyll15Hyde
04-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Thank god. Will be nice to watch a game without Capt Obvious around

Jekyll15Hyde
04-16-2009, 10:27 AM
He was a great commentator .

Not even a little bit

HILife
04-16-2009, 10:32 AM

Cheer up John. Farve will be back with the Jets the day before the draft:giggle:

ohiobronco2
04-16-2009, 10:33 AM

LOL. I had the same exact thought.

Sassy
04-16-2009, 10:34 AM
He's about as weepy as Favre.
Hopefully, it's a "final" decision though.

Rohirrim
04-16-2009, 10:39 AM
He's been an icon of the game for over three decades. An era passes. I tip my hat to him for many fine memories. And as a final salute, I wish him well as he walks into his sunset with these final words:

It's all over now, fat man. :rofl:

bronco_diesel
04-16-2009, 10:41 AM
i guess it makes sense as favre retired (finally) too.

so if favre comes back, will madden too?

all that aside, he was good for the game. i enjoyed his commentary, even when he wore his captian obvious hat. i had an appreciation for his committment, respect, and enthusiams for the game.

TUG
04-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks fatman. You have been an Icon for decades.

TheReverend
04-16-2009, 10:59 AM
A dark day, indeed.

bronco militia
04-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Thank god. Will be nice to watch a game without Capt Obvious around

he's an icon, ..............but yeah, good riddance

~Crash~
04-16-2009, 11:04 AM
I got dibs on his bus.

You can have his bus I want all his Houses all across America !

~Crash~
04-16-2009, 11:05 AM
I want Lynn Swann

Mogulseeker
04-16-2009, 12:26 PM
He was a great commentator

:sickortir ugh!~

John Madden was the worst.

Dennis Miller was a better commentator than John Madden.

Los Broncos
04-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Boom!

Tough actin' Tanactin'!

Mogulseeker
04-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Tough actin' Tanactin'!

When I got athletes foot from the shower at the ice arena in Jax, someone gave me some Tanactin. I went out and bought some Lotrimin simply because of those commercials.

Los Broncos
04-16-2009, 12:33 PM
When I got athletes foot from the shower at the ice arena in Jax, someone gave me some Tanactin. I went out and bought some Lotrimin simply because of those commercials.

That sucks, but those commericals were funny looking back on it.

ElwayMD
04-16-2009, 12:54 PM
ACE is the place for the helpful hardware man...WAP!

vancejohnson82
04-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Madden wasnt such a bad announcer, i think he was one of the better ones....a lot of these guys are just in there to point out the obvious because its national broadcasts....it would be great to get some local guys in tehre with the booth guys and rotate it for the national games....that way we get more team related info and inside stories and less of the three way circlejerks we get on MNF and SNF

broncosteven
04-16-2009, 02:14 PM
My all time favorite announcer is Dick Enberg.

I don't mind Madden or Summeral babbling. At least they played, have stories to tell and they have the right voices that are easy to listen to.

I really think the guys on the 3rd and 4th level CBS and FOX teams guys like vasgersion and the black dude who played on one of the St Louis teams tries to hard are far worse than Madden or Summerall.

People complain about the older guys but it does take talent and the gift of the right voice to call a game.

ElwayMD
04-16-2009, 02:14 PM
It would have been hilarious to see Myron Cope from Pittsburgh do a national game. It's a shame he passed, he was hilarious as a color commentator but he was also a brilliant sports writer.

broncosteven
04-16-2009, 02:21 PM
I wonder why Wayne Larrivee isn't calling TV games? Is Radio Better?

Even John Rooney called the Playoffs games and Saturday Baseball while working as the Chi-SOX radio guy.

TheManeMan
04-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Maybe the passing of Harry Kalas played a role in his decision.

Kaylore
04-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Poor guy doesn't see the point if Favre isn't playing in the game anymore.

Dendave
04-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Why do we have color analysts anyway? Just tell me the down and yards and be done with it, I don't have anyone telling me a bunch of junk when I see a game in person.

UberBroncoMan
04-16-2009, 03:51 PM

It's the only thing that makes sense.

Most broadcasters tend to do it till they die since once they quit their job they usually go downhill. Kind of surprised that it's too much for him but then again he has to use a damn bus to go EVERYWHERE. If he just used a freaking plane it wouldn't be so hard or time consuming.

phisig150
04-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Good riddance. Sooooo overrated. Big blow hard moron.

Inkana7
04-16-2009, 03:55 PM
I always loved John's commentating. His craziness dissipated over the years, making it even better. Here's to you, John.

SouthStndJunkie
04-16-2009, 03:56 PM
I will miss John Madden not being in the broadcast booth.

He is a good guy and a football icon.

broncosteven
04-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Why do we have color analysts anyway? Just tell me the down and yards and be done with it, I don't have anyone telling me a bunch of junk when I see a game in person.

I saw the 1980 Jets game when NBC tried no one at all in the booth.

It didn't work. Maybe it would be better now with all the banners and scrolling they can do on the screen.

crawdad
04-16-2009, 04:14 PM
I will always remember Madden as the Raiders coach and I hated that guy. He was alot easier to take in the booth but as someone else said, it was superfluous.

sisterhellfyre
04-16-2009, 04:55 PM
My all time favorite announcer is Dick Enberg.

And the late, great Keith Jackson for college games on Saturday. He'll always be THE VOICE of college football for me.

loborugger
04-16-2009, 07:16 PM
And the late, great Keith Jackson for college games on Saturday. He'll always be THE VOICE of college football for me.

+1

Rumblin, stumblin, bumblin, fumblin, touchdown!!!!

The Moops
04-16-2009, 07:42 PM
I was shocked he was 73 . . . then I figured he retired after the 78 season at age 43 and couldn't believe he retired so young!

Still made the HOF after just 10 years of coaching and 1 Super Bowl . . . Heck, Tom Flores won 2!

dreasher54
04-16-2009, 08:02 PM
JOHN MADDEN=AMERICAN HERO chris collinsworth= american zero

loborugger
04-16-2009, 08:18 PM
JOHN MADDEN=AMERICAN HERO chris collinsworth= american zero

Good God, you have to be kidding, right? Despite whether you think he is great as a football commentator or not, hero is an absurd valuation of Madden's contribution to American society.

broncosteven
04-16-2009, 08:37 PM
I grew up dispising Madden, both my Mom and I could not stand him.

It took a decade or more before I could listen to him without thinking about him being on the sidelines for the Butt-pirates.

gunns
04-16-2009, 09:06 PM
"Now, now Al, what you see here is how a quarterback releases the pass. See, he drops back, and then his arm moves forward, and he lets go of the ball, sending it forward. Stronger-armed quarterbacks can throw the ball harder and farther than, than weaker-armed quarterbacks. And right here, you see how he throws it forward, and the pass is completed. Boom! Right there."

No ****. HALLELUJAH!!!! The guy has been responsibile for more mute buttons being used than almost anyone else. When Denvers game against Cleveland wasn't shown as scheduled on NFL Network I thought how ironic it's a Raider guy who sucks as an "analyst" that interrupts it. Well since it's his last big mouth hurrah, I guess I can live with it. This season is looking better and better.

Tombstone RJ
04-16-2009, 09:38 PM
NEW YORK - NBC Sports (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30246064/#) Chairman Dick Ebersol announced today that John Madden, Hall of Fame coach and the most honored broadcaster in sports television history, has decided to retire from broadcasting.

Madden issued the following statement today:

"Its time. Im 73 years old. My 50th wedding anniversary is this fall. I have two great sons and their families and my five grandchildren are at an age now when they know when Im home and, more importantly, when Im not

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30246064/

Madden retires, Broncos get screwed, again...

NFLN was featuring the Broncos in their programming today, until the announcement of Madden's fat azz retiring... guess what, no Broncos on NFLN, it's all Madden.

I hate that fat bastard. Talk about an overrated pile of broadcasting poop. He was absolutely crappy when he teamed up with Pat Sommerall. Pat was drunk and John was well, John. It sucked.

gunns
04-17-2009, 12:00 AM

NFLN was featuring the Broncos in their programming today, until the announcement of Madden's fat azz retiring... guess what, no Broncos on NFLN, it's all Madden.

I hate that fat bastard. Talk about an overrated pile of broadcasting poop. He was absolutely crappy when he teamed up with Pat Sommerall. Pat was drunk and John was well, John. It sucked.

Yep, at least Pat had the excuse of being drunk.

crawdad
04-17-2009, 12:22 PM

F the NFL Network!