PDA

View Full Version : My Mock Draft 2.0

chaz
04-14-2009, 05:11 PM
What the hell, I'll lay my dream Day One out there:

(no point predicting trades IMO-nearly impossible, but a move for Sanchez is possible)

12: Tyson Jackson DE-some don't like he isn't flashy, but he is as sure-fire as a draft pick can get and it's starting to look like we'll be lucky if he's still there.

18: Clay Matthews LB-I love his intensity and speed. (Disclaimer: if steroid allegations are true, then I'd go with Everett Brown)

48: Sean Smith CB/S-Great athleticism/potential/playmaking ability. Dawkins and Champ would help his development a lot.

79: DJ Moore CB-Assuming Smith moves to safety, CB is still a huge need-I'm not banking on old bones Goodman for anything more than a season. Moore is a steal too because of his height being the main negative-in today's NFL I think height is way overrated in DB's.

84: Jasper Brinkley LB-Born to play in a 3-4, would bring a strong presence to our front 7. If we had to take him at 79, or move up a few spots further so be it.

Day 2 Targets: Terrence Taylor NT, Sammie Lee Hill NT, Antoine Caldwell C, A.Q. Shipley C, Dorell Scott DT, Joshua Mauga LB, Worrell Williams LB, ......

Breaker
04-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Love that draft ... especially since we agreed on 2 of the top three picks.

Traveler
04-15-2009, 09:41 AM
Broncos 2009 Mock Draft
1a Tyson Jackson-DE
1b Rey Maualuga-ILB
2 Duke Robinson-G
3a Sean Smith-CB
3b Eric Wood-C
4 Rashad Jennings-RB

TERRENCE CODY IN 2010

no-pseudo-fan
04-15-2009, 10:01 AM

(no point predicting trades IMO-nearly impossible, but a move for Sanchez is possible)

12: Tyson Jackson DE-some don't like he isn't flashy, but he is as sure-fire as a draft pick can get and it's starting to look like we'll be lucky if he's still there.

18: Clay Matthews LB-I love his intensity and speed. (Disclaimer: if steroid allegations are true, then I'd go with Everett Brown)

48: Sean Smith CB/S-Great athleticism/potential/playmaking ability. Dawkins and Champ would help his development a lot.

79: DJ Moore CB-Assuming Smith moves to safety, CB is still a huge need-I'm not banking on old bones Goodman for anything more than a season. Moore is a steal too because of his height being the main negative-in today's NFL I think height is way overrated in DB's.

84: Jasper Brinkley LB-Born to play in a 3-4, would bring a strong presence to our front 7. If we had to take him at 79, or move up a few spots further so be it.

Day 2 Targets: Terrence Taylor NT, Sammie Lee Hill NT, Antoine Caldwell C, A.Q. Shipley C, Dorell Scott DT, Joshua Mauga LB, Worrell Williams LB, ......

If we are dreaming, why not go the whole 9 yards?

12 Raji
18 Maualuga
48 Moala
79 Sean Smith
84 Jennings

gyldenlove
04-15-2009, 10:23 AM

I am completely off the Matthews band wagon, he will bust.

He just has Bobby Carpenter written all over him, he may be a good athlete, but looking good on tape is easy when you play with the USC defense. Hell, USC had a better defense than we did last year.

rugbythug
04-15-2009, 10:35 AM

He just has Bobby Carpenter written all over him, he may be a good athlete, but looking good on tape is easy when you play with the USC defense. Hell, USC had a better defense than we did last year.

Man that is rough. Good Athlete who looks good on tape. But played on to good of a team so he is no good?

no-pseudo-fan
04-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Man that is rough. Good Athlete who looks good on tape. But played on to good of a team so he is no good?

I agree with him. Matthews was a rush LB that finished with 4 sacks, where is the production? I love potential, but potential will get a coach fired. Moss has potential, we need PRODUCTION.

gyldenlove
04-15-2009, 10:56 AM

He may very well be good, but good enough to be a mid 1st round selection? Is he better than Laurinaitis?

In fact I will go as far as saying that Laurinaitis will have the better career of the 2 but quite a margin despite most likely being drafted lower than Matthews.

Broncos_OTM
04-15-2009, 11:07 AM

One thing Matthews has is that his family had a great football IQ. There is no doubt that he knows how to play the game.

If he is a good athlete this only helps him.

The steriods bit made me drop him a bit. But if he is there in the second and we havent taken a LB i would snag him without a doubt.

gyldenlove
04-15-2009, 11:19 AM
One thing Matthews has is that his family had a great football IQ. There is no doubt that he knows how to play the game.

If he is a good athlete this only helps him.

The steriods bit made me drop him a bit. But if he is there in the second and we havent taken a LB i would snag him without a doubt.

Definitely, in the 2nd he makes sense. I just don't think he will ever really play up to a 1st round value and I think he will be drafted in the 1st round.

chaz
04-15-2009, 06:58 PM
I understand the concerns, but here is what I know:
1. He eats, sleeps and breaths football-an underrated quality
2. His motor never stops
3. He's got the pedigree

Maybe he didn't pick up a lot of sacks, but this is a guy that can get after the QB:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sFi0o8GCM9c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sFi0o8GCM9c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

chaz
04-16-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm really interested in the reasoning behind knocking Matthews. Calling someone a bust is easy, but I want to know why... He doesn't have a lot of starting experience? Steroid allegations if true obviously hurt. Something I'm missing?

I'm just drawn to the balls-to-the-wall, never say die type of players.

gyldenlove
04-16-2009, 12:39 PM
I'm really interested in the reasoning behind knocking Matthews. Calling someone a bust is easy, but I want to know why... He doesn't have a lot of starting experience? Steroid allegations if true obviously hurt. Something I'm missing?

I'm just drawn to the balls-to-the-wall, never say die type of players.

Several reasons. I am not sold on his instincts, in fact I think they are bad which is just not good for a linebacker. I don't think he plays to his workout numbers, Maualuga doesn't work out well but looks like an athlete on the field, Matthews works out really well but doesn't strike me as an athletic player, essentially when I compare him to Keith Rivers who used to play his position I see a big drop off in playing speed. I am not sold on his technique when it comes to fighting off blocks, tackling in open space and breaking on the ball on short passes.

The main thing with Matthews that worry me is that people have been seeking him out. If you are playing against Maualuga, Cushing and Matthews, which one would you run at? I would run at Matthews all day long. I would shift my pass blocking towards Cushing leaving Matthews unblocked or leaving him with my weakest blocker, and yet for all that his numbers aren't popping. I have just seen too many players come out of good football schools where they looked the part because someone else was doing twice the work and fail to pick up the slack and pull their own weight in the NFL.

I have the exact same feelings about the "other guy" from OSU this year, Marcus Freeman. Especially in the first round I want the guy who was the star (Cushing, Laurinaitis) not his sidekick.

chaz
04-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Several reasons. I am not sold on his instincts, in fact I think they are bad which is just not good for a linebacker. I don't think he plays to his workout numbers, Maualuga doesn't work out well but looks like an athlete on the field, Matthews works out really well but doesn't strike me as an athletic player, essentially when I compare him to Keith Rivers who used to play his position I see a big drop off in playing speed. I am not sold on his technique when it comes to fighting off blocks, tackling in open space and breaking on the ball on short passes.

The main thing with Matthews that worry me is that people have been seeking him out. If you are playing against Maualuga, Cushing and Matthews, which one would you run at? I would run at Matthews all day long. I would shift my pass blocking towards Cushing leaving Matthews unblocked or leaving him with my weakest blocker, and yet for all that his numbers aren't popping. I have just seen too many players come out of good football schools where they looked the part because someone else was doing twice the work and fail to pick up the slack and pull their own weight in the NFL.

I have the exact same feelings about the "other guy" from OSU this year, Marcus Freeman. Especially in the first round I want the guy who was the star (Cushing, Laurinaitis) not his sidekick.

Great post. Thanks for the insight.