PDA

View Full Version : Clady get some love....With his physical skills the sky is the limit

Dempsey Dog
04-14-2009, 03:15 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2009/rock041409.htm

Key measurement

Arm length, hand quickness dictate OLT success

By Nolan Nawrocki
April 14, 2009

Many traits are required for an offensive tackle to successfully be able to handle edge speed — quick hands and feet, balance and natural knee bend. The one physical trait that is most often taken for granted, however, is arm length.

Without good arm length, generally considered at least 33½ inches on the left side and preferably 34 inches, it is difficult for blockers to be able to handle inside counters and recover quickly to keep a pocket clean.

PFW calculated the average arm length of every starting left tackle in the NFL last season, and it was 34½ inches. The average arm length of the Pro Bowl tackles in the NFC, all of whom were left tackles, was 33¾ inches, while the average of AFC Pro Bowlers, also all left tackles, was 34 inches.

To overcome average arm length, offensive tackles must be very smart, understand angles and be technique-sound, which describes Titans All-Pro OLT Michael Roos to a T. That is why he can overcome having a league OLT-worst 32½-inch arms and only give up one sack, according to STATS LLC. Other factors in Roos' success that were cited by evaluators included good coaching and sound protection schemes, with Mike Munchak being regarded as one of the top OL coaches in the game.
Broncos OLT Ryan Clady

Broncos OLT Ryan Clady
Those with long arms, however, continue to excel. For example, Denver's Ryan Clady, who possesses an NFL-best 36¾-inch arms as measured at the Combine last year, allowed a league-best half-sack in 16 starts as a rookie. Clady's combination of length, quickness and athletic ability allowed him to adapt very seamlessly to the pro game.

The ability of quarterbacks to feel pressure, buy time with their feet and get rid of the ball quickly also affects a blind-side protector’s success. That is why Philadelphia OLT Tra Thomas, despite really struggling last season and appearing to decline every game, was able to get by, giving up only two sacks. Few coaches help their tackles on the edges like Eagles coach Andy Reid does. And even if Donovan McNabb has shown some signs of aging, he still shows great escapability in the pocket.

Having long arms, however, does not always matter if a tackle has slow hands. Browns OLT Joe Thomas appears effortless with his hands. Seahawks OT Walter Jones is extremely efficient with his hand use. Flozell Adams, however, does not have great hand quickness, but he does have extremely long arms and is generally able to get by using his length.

With 32½-inch arms and average quickness, it is easy to understand why the Lions are considering moving Jeff Backus inside rather than having him continue to protect the edges.

The following chart is sorted by arm length and includes the number of sacks allowed last season, according to STATS. Players highlighted in blue were selected to represent the NFC in the Pro Bowl. Players in red represented the AFC. The arm length of Pro Bowl players is boldfaced.

colonelbeef
04-14-2009, 03:37 PM
another masterstroke by Shanahan

mrfabulous
04-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Long arms is the secret to success in ANY sport.

snowspot66
04-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Love that Bills Pro Bowl left tackle!

*edit*

God he allowed more than all of our guys combined I think.

bap454
04-14-2009, 03:52 PM
1/2 a sack.... are you freaking kidding me?! Must not be a qualafication to make the pro bowl...... protecting the quarter back -who cares?

fdf
04-14-2009, 03:53 PM

Soccer?

SoDak Bronco
04-14-2009, 03:58 PM
can't teach long arms

SoDak Bronco
04-14-2009, 03:59 PM
Soccer?

Goalies?

BroncoLifer
04-14-2009, 04:15 PM

Some Field events, yes. Track, no.

Borks147
04-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Goalies?

smoked

Rock Chalk
04-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Pretty sure long arms aren't a necessity for long distance running.

gyldenlove
04-14-2009, 05:43 PM

As well as in finding strange ways to masturbate...

Rohirrim
04-14-2009, 06:23 PM
We are very, very fortunate to get to watch the career of this great LT unfold in Denver.

baja
04-14-2009, 06:36 PM

Not bowling you smash your knuckles on the floor.

Jesterhole
04-14-2009, 06:52 PM
Nice, I wonder how long before McDouchebag trades him for a second rounder in 2011....

TheDave
04-14-2009, 06:55 PM
We are very, very fortunate to get to watch the career of this great LT unfold in Denver.

It was even nicer when he was blocking for a Pro-Bowl QB...

... yes I am having a lot of trouble letting that go.

BroncoMan4ever
04-14-2009, 07:36 PM
1/2 a sack.... are you freaking kidding me?! Must not be a qualafication to make the pro bowl...... protecting the quarter back -who cares?

same with the rest of our line. i think Hamilton allowed the most sacks and it was only like 3 allowed all year.

if we can get a good young Center we will have one of the youngest and best OL in the league

not saying we need a Center, but with Weigman still not being re-signed and at his age, i want a young guy grooming and ready to take over.

Los Broncos
04-14-2009, 07:38 PM
And with that punch move, long arms and quickness, will be an all pro for years to come.

Dont trade him McDummy...

tsiguy96
04-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Some Field events, yes. Track, no.

i hope youre not talking about shotput and discus...they can sum forces up with long arms that guys with short arms have trouble doing.

broncogary
04-14-2009, 07:49 PM

Tell that to weight lifters, especially re the bench press. :strong:

Bronco X
04-14-2009, 07:54 PM
He's overrated. He only seemed good because he was protecting the great Jay Cutler and his Golden Arm of Power. Without defenses distracted by the radiant light emanating from the biceps behind center, he'll be a useless sieve, you'll see! Our franchise is dead and buried without the boy god! Quit hangin on to the past!

DBBBSBS
04-14-2009, 07:58 PM
another masterstroke by Shanahan

did u mean to say, one of the few right things shanny did in draft ?

TheDave
04-14-2009, 08:06 PM
did u mean to say, one of the few right things shanny did in draft ?

He built the 2nd rated offense in 3 drafts... QB, WR's, Bookend Tackles, Gaurd, FB, RB's.

Give credit where credit is due.

CHANGSTER
04-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Cool article, but all it did was piss me off again. Jason Peters over Clady! That really grinds my gears

BroncoMan4ever
04-14-2009, 09:29 PM
He built the 2nd rated offense in 3 drafts... QB, WR's, Bookend Tackles, Gaurd, FB, RB's.

Give credit where credit is due.

name 1 RB he brought in the last few seasons that is any good. other than that i agree

side note, not counting Hillis because he was drafted to be a FB

Rabb
04-14-2009, 09:33 PM
and by 2nd rated offense of course we mean in yards, 16th in actual stats that matter

3 games inflated the number anyhow, the offense has a ton of potential left in it...that is the scary thing

put up 2nd place yards and the scoring to match and the Kurt Warner show will look like a joke....without the scoring, well, you end up losing the division with a few games in your favor and get blown the **** out in the one that matters

TheDave
04-14-2009, 09:38 PM
name 1 RB he brought in the last few seasons that is any good. other than that i agree

side note, not counting Hillis because he was drafted to be a FB

Selvin when healthy and Torrain was on his way to the HOF until he got injured... ;D