PDA

View Full Version : Broncos trading up? Maybe according to Peter King

Denver724
04-13-2009, 07:30 AM
I think the Broncos may trade up in the first round, but not for what you think. Not for a quarterback. Maybe for Tyson Jackson, the LSU defensive end who's the best-available 3-4 defensive end in the draft, or Texas pass-rusher Brian Orakpo. I'm not saying it's impossible they'll draft a quarterback, but believe me when I tell you Josh McDaniels likes Kyle Orton a lot.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/04/12/mmqb/3.html

broncofan7
04-13-2009, 07:42 AM
No to trading up for anyone.

crowebomber
04-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Jackson will probably be there at 12 and I'm not a big fan of his. He could be a solid starter, but he's not a star. At LSU is production and numbers were good but not all that impressive. I hope we pass on him even if he's there at 18.

Lolad
04-13-2009, 07:48 AM
If these guys are that stupid to reach for Jackson this would confirm what I already new these guys in the FO are dumb.

The Joker
04-13-2009, 07:49 AM
If they believe Raji can be a quality NT, then I'm fine with trading up for him.

Anything else seems unlikely, and I can't see Jackson being gone by 12.

meangene
04-13-2009, 07:50 AM
I would rather we trade back before we trade up. We have too many needs to be spending picks to move up for guys no better than who we could get at 12. I think Jackson is there at 12. I also think Dummervil is going to be given a real shot at rush backer. Can't see moving up to get an OLB who can't play on the opposite side.

rugbythug
If these guys are that stupid to reach for Jackson this would confirm what I already new these guys in the FO are dumb.

Why even Confirm what you know. There is no need. You know it already.

broncofan7
Tyson Jackson will be like Marcus Spears--underwhelming and considered an underachiever--Pass on him @ 12 and certainly don't trade up for him.

NYC Bronco
04-13-2009, 07:57 AM
Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders can lock themselves into secrecy from now until draft day, and it might not matter. There is a potential trade so logical, it all but leaps off the draft value chart. Providing the Jacksonville Jaguars are willing partners, the Broncos could easily leap from their No. 12 overall draft pick to No. 8. The No. 8 spot would be significant to the Broncos if their preference is defensive tackle B.J. Raji, quarterback Mark Sanchez or Texas defensive end/outside linebacker Brian Orakpo. As it stands now, someone would have to lace Raji's brownies between now and April 25 for the projected 3-4 nose tackle to fall past Green Bay with the No. 9 pick. The San Francisco 49ers, having failed with Alex Smith as their franchise quarterback, cannot allow Sanchez to drop beyond their No. 10 pick. And Orakpo, a physical freak who possesses the greatest pass- rushing potential, probably wouldn't get past Jacksonville at No. 8 or Buffalo at No. 11. According to the last known draft value chart, the No. 8 draft pick is worth 1,400 points while the No. 12 pick is worth 1,200. To those who had a little too much Saturday night fun, that's a difference of 200 points. That extra third-round pick the Broncos got from the Bears in the Jay Cutler trade? It allows the Broncos to sacrifice their first third- round pick, No. 79 overall. The No. 79 pick is worth 195 points on the draft value chart. Or close enough.

no-pseudo-fan
04-13-2009, 08:00 AM
I like the idea of drafting #12 and trading back on #18. I have heard that there is a lot of value in the 2 half of the first round. I just hope that we get 3 guys who can play on the 1st day.

baja
04-13-2009, 08:04 AM
Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders can lock themselves into secrecy from now until draft day, and it might not matter. There is a potential trade so logical, it all but leaps off the draft value chart. Providing the Jacksonville Jaguars are willing partners, the Broncos could easily leap from their No. 12 overall draft pick to No. 8. The No. 8 spot would be significant to the Broncos if their preference is defensive tackle B.J. Raji, quarterback Mark Sanchez or Texas defensive end/outside linebacker Brian Orakpo. As it stands now, someone would have to lace Raji's brownies between now and April 25 for the projected 3-4 nose tackle to fall past Green Bay with the No. 9 pick. The San Francisco 49ers, having failed with Alex Smith as their franchise quarterback, cannot allow Sanchez to drop beyond their No. 10 pick. And Orakpo, a physical freak who possesses the greatest pass- rushing potential, probably wouldn't get past Jacksonville at No. 8 or Buffalo at No. 11. According to the last known draft value chart, the No. 8 draft pick is worth 1,400 points while the No. 12 pick is worth 1,200. To those who had a little too much Saturday night fun, that's a difference of 200 points. That extra third-round pick the Broncos got from the Bears in the Jay Cutler trade? It allows the Broncos to sacrifice their first third- round pick, No. 79 overall. The No. 79 pick is worth 195 points on the draft value chart. Or close enough.

I don't see a link so I guess you wrote this that's some nice writing dude.

Paladin
04-13-2009, 08:04 AM
Jackson will probably be there at 12 and I'm not a big fan of his. He could be a solid starter, but he's not a star. At LSU is production and numbers were good but not all that impressive. I hope we pass on him even if he's there at 18.

Don't want a starter. Just a "star". Got it.....

^5

Paladin
04-13-2009, 08:06 AM

Man. I new it, too.....

RocBronc
04-13-2009, 08:09 AM
All the guys suggested as targets all have question marks...

Jackson is limited physically
Orapko isn't a great fit for the 3-4
Brown is a better fit but no one knows if he can play in reverse
Sanchez... don't even get me started
Raji does make some sense but there is some character questions (even outside the pot allegations) and whether or not he really is a good fit at NT.

The only guy IMO who we should trade up for is Curry and we'll likely have to trade up into the top 5 to do that which would be to expensive.

I'd rather we trade down at 12 and then we could have 6 picks in the top 3 rounds.

broncofan2438
04-13-2009, 08:10 AM
All speculation.......no more dumb moves Josh

oubronco
04-13-2009, 08:11 AM
I don't see a link so I guess you wrote this that's some nice writing dude.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12124654

footstepsfrom#27
04-13-2009, 08:15 AM
I'd hate trading up for Jackson, especially since I wouldn't even take him at #12...Marcus Spears has been mentioned...he reminds me of him too. The only guy I could see trading up for would be Curry or Raji...and he could turn out to be a pothead. MAYBE...a couple spots for Brown. Definitely not for the Texas DE either...I don't trust those guys much.

Hopefully we just come out of this draft without doing something stupid.

baja
04-13-2009, 08:17 AM
Man. I new it, too.....

Ya he mis typed his user name too. It was supposed to be " Loaded ".

socalorado
04-13-2009, 08:24 AM
Dear Peter,

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_gTsG3CETYfw/SbFKIvNOP3I/AAAAAAAAAWI/gEDC424Q4_Y/s400/FatChickPuking.jpg

brncs_fan
04-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Pulling from your personal collection I see.

LOL

Gcver2ver3
04-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Raji...

socalorado
04-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Pulling from your personal collection I see.

LOL
Hilarious!

Good lord! If all the women here looked like that, the suicide rate in LA would skyrocket overnight!

TheReverend
04-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Dear Peter,

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_gTsG3CETYfw/SbFKIvNOP3I/AAAAAAAAAWI/gEDC424Q4_Y/s400/FatChickPuking.jpg

Lock the thread.

Pony Boy
04-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Tyson Jackson is a can't miss pick, like Jarvis Moss?:~ohyah!:

BABronco
04-13-2009, 09:17 AM
Dear Peter,

Did she look in a mirror?

barryr
04-13-2009, 09:29 AM
If the Broncos are looking to trade up, it's to get a DL they don't think will be there at 12 such as Orakpo, Raji, or maybe Brown.

footstepsfrom#27
04-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Dear Peter,

Looks like a real space eater. Will she be there at #12?

watermock
04-13-2009, 09:47 AM
It wouldn't surprise me to see Scheff, hammy moved, or even Marshall with the hip, or Hillis with the torn hammy, or Bailey with the torn groin and the 14 M $contract.

McDummy is likely to play monopoly like a 12 year old, He's allready sold Park Place for $1000 when he had Boardwalk.

We hope a bunch of tackles are picked along with the 2 overrated QB's and Crabtree.

Throwing away picks will just make SoCal have a cerebral hemorage.

What people don't understand is with the current salary structure, a top 10 pick is nothing but an expensive crapshoot.

Regardless, I expect Mcdummy to move some offensive players and play with his picks like leggos.

Me? I get Green at 3 and spend the rest on best available on D.

oubronco
04-13-2009, 09:50 AM
If the Broncos are looking to trade up, it's to get a DL they don't think will be there at 12 such as Orakpo, Raji, or maybe Brown.

or maybe curry? that would be awsome

footstepsfrom#27
04-13-2009, 09:54 AM
McDummy is likely to play monopoly like a 12 year old, He's allready sold Park Place for $1000 when he had Boardwalk.
Yeah but he put up a hotel on Baltic Avenue. ;D

Hercules Rockefeller
04-13-2009, 10:09 AM
The next two weeks are going to full of crap like this and Klis' article from the other day, that have 0 substance.

watermock
04-13-2009, 10:16 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oKZP6d-WP7E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oKZP6d-WP7E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

First down and redzone machine. If not him, someone.

I see alot of swing passes to undersized RB's in our new offense.

socalorado
04-13-2009, 10:35 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oKZP6d-WP7E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oKZP6d-WP7E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Well, this should make the REVs day one bright , cheery, rainbow freakin bright kinda day!

gyldenlove
04-13-2009, 10:35 AM

He is lazy

TheReverend
04-13-2009, 10:53 AM
He is lazy

You forgot "evil".

**** him.

gyldenlove
04-13-2009, 11:05 AM
You forgot "evil".

**** him.

My bad, he is Shonn Saddam Bin-Laden Greene, devil incarnate and all-around bad guy.

socalorado
04-13-2009, 11:07 AM
My bad, he is Shonn Saddam Bin-Laden Greene, devil incarnate and all-around bad guy.

Most folks from Penn St call him "Shonn-WOW!"

TheReverend
04-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Most folks from Penn St call him "Shonn-WOW!"

Sideline heaters that day and PSU is in the National Championship game...

BABronco
04-13-2009, 11:42 AM

Id rather have Hillis as a starter. He is a hard worker who has great field awareness and he pounds the ball like no other. He delievers hits.

philiptr2
04-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Aw dude...I was eating lunch...I'm not hungry anymore.

telluride
04-13-2009, 12:06 PM
It wouldn't surprise me to see Scheff, hammy moved, or even Marshall with the hip, or Hillis with the torn hammy, or Bailey with the torn groin and the 14 M $contract.

We hope a bunch of tackles are picked along with the 2 overrated QB's and Crabtree.

Throwing away picks will just make SoCal have a cerebral hemorage.

What people don't understand is with the current salary structure, a top 10 pick is nothing but an expensive crapshoot.

Regardless, I expect Mcdummy to move some offensive players and play with his picks like leggos.

Me? I get Green at 3 and spend the rest on best available on D.

Mock, you really are a downer these days.

BroncoBuff
04-13-2009, 12:56 PM
"Shonn Green - Best College RB"

In the OM Mock, I just drafted Shonn Green for the chefs in the THIRD ROUND. Could not believe he was there ......

He's gonna have a Fred Taylor type career I think. Very solid, productive player, never hurt, touchdown maker, but not much publicity.

TheChamp24
04-13-2009, 01:18 PM
In the OM Mock, I just drafted Shonn Green for the chefs in the THIRD ROUND. Could not believe he was there ......

He's gonna have a Fred Taylor type career I think. Very solid, productive player, never hurt, touchdown maker, but not much publicity.

Dude, Fred Taylor has been injury prone in his career. He has missed 35 games in his career. Plus, Taylor was never a big TD guy. Only 62 in his career. Terrell Davis had 60 in his first 4 years to show comparison.

bpc
04-13-2009, 01:20 PM
I like Jackson the best but if he is off the board before #12, pass. i would rather try to get Paul Kruger in round 2 vs. trading up to get Jackson.

elsid13
04-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Tyson Jackson will be like Marcus Spears--underwhelming and considered an underachiever--Pass on him @ 12 and certainly don't trade up for him.

Spears does what 3-4 DE is supposed to do. Hold up the offense lineman and allow the LBs to make plays. Whoever Denver is going to get to play DE is going to do the same thing. People shouldn't expect our DEs or NTs to put up big numbers or get many sacks.

BroncoBuff
04-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Dude, Fred Taylor has been injury prone in his career. He has missed 35 games in his career. Plus, Taylor was never a big TD guy. Only 62 in his career. Terrell Davis had 60 in his first 4 years to show comparison.

I'm glad you took the time to quibble over that.

That's what we need more of here, and on the Internet in general ... small corrections of tangential points.

FireFly
04-13-2009, 04:47 PM
If they believe Raji can be a quality NT, then I'm fine with trading up for him.

Anything else seems unlikely, and I can't see Jackson being gone by 12.

I agree. But I'm hearing and reading mixed opinions about Raji lately. But if the FO thinks he can dominate the middle for years, than sure get it done. Otherwise, there are no players worth trading up for. Simply because IMO a player with a similar level of talent and skill will be available at 12.

cabronco
04-13-2009, 06:36 PM
I dont think Schefler is going anywhere. Is it me or does this draft seem below average for a team like us to finally have options to do things, and the talent isnt there like in years gone past. I ope we get the Raji NT, but he doesnt even stand out as an elite NT.

lex
04-13-2009, 06:41 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12124654

Wow, as soon as I saw someone provide a link, I knew it would be Klis. He was lobbying to take DeSean Jackson at 12 (I think) last year.

lex
04-13-2009, 06:47 PM

Id rather give Hillis reps. I wouldnt be surprised if Hillis has more big play potential. I worry Greene is not fast enough to justify taking when we already have Hillis.