PDA

View Full Version : Golf Ball Poll: Whats your favorite?

PaintballCLE
04-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Just curious to all the golfers out there what their favorite ball is and why?

I would have to say my favorites are the Nike One Platinum and the Titleist Pro-V1.......but those get mighty expensive.

Of the cheaper balls, I like Slazenger.....less than $10/dozen and for the moeny they aren't bad.

Grover
04-11-2009, 09:01 PM
It's not the ball or the club, it's the swing.

Right now I like the Srixon Trispeed. Flies long and straight for me, yet there's touch around the green also. The ball seems "lighter" than most on the putting surface. Takes a bit of getting used to, but like I said, it's my favorite right now.

gyldenlove
04-11-2009, 09:08 PM
I love my Top Flites, for some reason I keep losing them. I still have almost all the pinnacle balls I have ever bought, I just seem to be able to find them better in the thick stuff and hit fewer water hazards.

Pony Boy
04-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Titleist Pro V 1X - I order 12 Dz at a time with a business logo (advertising write off but I don't give any away)

I just purchased a Cleveland Hibore Monster driver and have played 5 rounds with it. I have picked up 30 yards off the tee with this club. This is the first Cleveland driver I've ever had and I thought they just made quality wedges.

Mr Chatterboodamn
04-11-2009, 09:20 PM
OMG best thread ever -- I have deep feelings about this.

My favorite ball of all time is the Nike One Platinum. It goes long enough, but its characteristics around the green are legendary. Anyone can make this ball spin like mad, especially with square grooved clubs. I've chipped in during 3 of my last four rounds using a platinum. This ball has such a heavenly feel off of the putter. It seems to have a perfect hardness to it for iron shots out of the fairway as well. I really hope they do not discontinue it because the Nike One Tour is not a similar ball IMO. The new ball feels much more like a Pro-V1x or Nike One Black. I don't like it as much as the One Platinum so far, but I'm going to keep experimenting. I will also probably stockpile Platinums! Also, obviously, it's promotes Tiger shot thoughts and I will confess more amazing **** seems to happen when I use these balls. (Also some pushed drives into the woods hahahaha)

On the next tier, I think the premium balls are all comparable within their particular models. Pro-V1's and V1x's both perform very well and have a very live feel to them off the clubs and the putter. The Pro-V1x is a little more dense so if you really crush the ball, it will go very long. Both balls spin really well, but are a shade below. I like the TaylorMade TP/Red as well. I haven't played a significant number of rounds with other premium balls (Srixon and Bridgestone come to mind)...maybe some other golf nut can tell me what they think. You really can't go wrong with any of the balls I named, but at this point I play Nike One Platinum and Pro-V1s pretty exclusively. I've been trying to play the game with more control, so these balls seem perfect for the amount of swing I'm aiming for these days.

Oddly, I don't really like the Calloway hexagonal dimple balls. I don't like how they feel off the putter and I don't find they do anything remarkable enough to sacrifice comfortability with the putter. The game is obviously mental in large part so it's probably my fault ahahaha

PaintballCLE
04-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Titleist Pro V 1X - I order 12 Dz at a time with a business logo (advertising write off but I don't give any away)

I just purchased a Cleveland Hibore Monster driver and have played 5 rounds with it. I have picked up 30 yards off the tee with this club. This is the first Cleveland driver I've ever had and I thought they just made quality wedges.

LOL well start ordering 24 dozen and give me 12 LOL

PaintballCLE
04-11-2009, 09:26 PM

My favorite ball of all time is the Nike One Platinum. It goes long enough, but its characteristics around the green are legendary. Anyone can make this ball spin like mad, especially with square grooved clubs. I've chipped in during 3 of my last four rounds using a platinum. This ball has such a heavenly feel off of the putter. It seems to have a perfect hardness to it for iron shots out of the fairway as well. I really hope they do not discontinue it because the Nike One Tour is not a similar ball IMO. The new ball feels much more like a Pro-V1x or Nike One Black. I don't like it as much as the One Platinum so far, but I'm going to keep experimenting. I will also probably stockpile Platinums! Also, obviously, it's promotes Tiger shot thoughts and I will confess more amazing **** seems to happen when I use these balls. (Also some pushed drives into the woods hahahaha)

On the next tier, I think the premium balls are all comparable within their particular models. Pro-V1's and V1x's both perform very well and have a very live feel to them off the clubs and the putter. The Pro-V1x is a little more dense so if you really crush the ball, it will go very long. Both balls spin really well, but are a shade below. I like the TaylorMade TP/Red as well. I haven't played a significant number of rounds with other premium balls (Srixon and Bridgestone come to mind)...maybe some other golf nut can tell me what they think. You really can't go wrong with any of the balls I named, but at this point I play Nike One Platinum and Pro-V1s pretty exclusively. I've been trying to play the game with more control, so these balls seem perfect for the amount of swing I'm aiming for these days.

Oddly, I don't really like the Calloway hexagonal dimple balls. I don't like how they feel off the putter and I don't find they do anything remarkable enough to sacrifice comfortability with the putter. The game is obviously mental in large part so it's probably my fault ahahaha

I agree with everything you said, especially the part about the best thread ever.....LOL

But the nike one platinum are by far my favorite too......... they aren't quite as long as other balls, but you can make them stop on a dime on the green.

It also depends on the length of the courses i play. if it it a really really long course..... i usually play the blacks to get the extra distance. But if its a regular or short course platinums are a must. basically the way I describe it to people is would you rather have a 150 yard shot to the green and land the ball 10 feet from the pin (platinums) or a 100 yard shot to the green, but land the ball 20 feet from the pin (blacks).

You are right though, NOTHING feels as good putting that the nike platinums. Stores by my house have them for 24.99 im thinking about buying a ton before they go extinct.

Mr Chatterboodamn
04-11-2009, 09:28 PM

Right now I like the Srixon Trispeed. Flies long and straight for me, yet there's touch around the green also. The ball seems "lighter" than most on the putting surface. Takes a bit of getting used to, but like I said, it's my favorite right now.

I'll have to try that. I think the swing is important but there are certain facets of the equiptment side which can make a huge difference. For instance, my 60+ yo dad just bought a set of R7 irons with graphite shafts and he is hitting the ball a mile for not playing that much!! Before that he was using some ping knockoff's i gave him, and before that he was using Tom Kite blades ahahaha It's made a huge difference for him. You don't need to spend a fortune to get nice clubs, especially if you are fine with buying used. I just hate to see people buy a cheap set at walmart that is completely inappropriate for their swing and wonder why golf sucks so much. If you play a lot you know that you'll never get that orgasmic feel of pinching a premium ball with a low profile/blade iron. If you take your golden bear 7 iron and hit a top-flite around all day you're definitely missing something.

tl/dr: buy equipment that you can grow into if you're interested in golf long term.

ludo21
04-11-2009, 09:33 PM
ive always enjoyed the Top Flites I use, but Pinnacle are fine as well.

But im a college student, so for now its whatever is cheapest! ;D

Bronco_Beerslug
04-11-2009, 09:35 PM

Well I'm only a 12-14 handicapper but the Pro V1x feels far superior to me off my clubs than other balls.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Titleist NXT Tour. Reasonably priced, and they have great distance and feel.

Mr Chatterboodamn
04-11-2009, 09:43 PM
I agree with everything you said, especially the part about the best thread ever.....LOL

But the nike one platinum are by far my favorite too......... they aren't quite as long as other balls, but you can make them stop on a dime on the green.

It also depends on the length of the courses i play. if it it a really really long course..... i usually play the blacks to get the extra distance. But if its a regular or short course platinums are a must. basically the way I describe it to people is would you rather have a 150 yard shot to the green and land the ball 10 feet from the pin (platinums) or a 100 yard shot to the green, but land the ball 20 feet from the pin (blacks).

You are right though, NOTHING feels as good putting that the nike platinums. Stores by my house have them for 24.99 im thinking about buying a ton before they go extinct.

Dude, buy them ALL!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to hunt around for similar deals. I don't even mind them on the long courses because they're not that much shorter. Plus, I almost like landing short, especially if the green slopes upwards and I'm on tidy turf. I bought a cleveland CG-12 wedge, with the grooves that are illegal on tour (but not for us recreational folks). That's probably the best club I've ever bought. With a platinum and that club I can be really aggressive at the pin and do the on-hop-stop or spin in back down the hill if I release the club a little more. It really makes golf fun...even Executive courses!

I'm never really in distance trouble with those balls unless I mi****. I really like how the balls spin on longer shots because I can hit very predictable fades and very high draws. Basically I feel like I can control the trajectory well on any shot. Of course I'm not consistent enough to be a really good golfer yet, but it's the feel of the awesome shots that make me love the game. I don't care about the score except in how it reflects the nice shots along the way.

Pony Boy
04-11-2009, 09:45 PM
I'll have to try that. I think the swing is important but there are certain facets of the equiptment side which can make a huge difference. For instance, my 60+ yo dad just bought a set of R7 irons with graphite shafts and he is hitting the ball a mile for not playing that much!! Before that he was using some ping knockoff's i gave him, and before that he was using Tom Kite blades ahahaha It's made a huge difference for him. You don't need to spend a fortune to get nice clubs, especially if you are fine with buying used. I just hate to see people buy a cheap set at walmart that is completely inappropriate for their swing and wonder why golf sucks so much. If you play a lot you know that you'll never get that orgasmic feel of pinching a premium ball with a low profile/blade iron. If you take your golden bear 7 iron and hit a top-flite around all day you're definitely missing something.

tl/dr: buy equipment that you can grow into if you're interested in golf long term.

Your right, the equipment makes a huge difference and a consistent swing is a must. If a player is serious about getting his handicap in the single digits he must have clubs that are fitted to his swing.

Mr Chatterboodamn
04-11-2009, 09:48 PM
ive always enjoyed the Top Flites I use, but Pinnacle are fine as well.

But im a college student, so for now its whatever is cheapest! ;D

If you like the better balls, don't let price dissuade you. My friend and I got 72 2007 version pro-v1's on ebay for $72 shipped (dollar a ball, out the door). They were AAAA condition and barely distinguishable from a new ball.

It's just a thought if cost is the driving force...sometimes beginners think the premium balls don't feel as good, which was the case with me at first.

ludo21
04-11-2009, 10:03 PM
I dont think im good enough yet to feel the difference in the type of ball ;D

other than hitting a range ball of course.

Pony Boy
04-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Well I'm only a 12-14 handicapper but the Pro V1x feels far superior to me off my clubs than other balls.

The Pro V1x is an excellent ball and will do more than just spin. I prefer to pinch the ball and stop it quick but I don't spin the ball. I love to bump and run the ball when I can and the Pro V will release when needed. I guess what I'm saying is this ball will do it all.

Different strokes for different folks as they say. I use a Cleveland driver, Ping 3 wood, Callaway Irons, Ping Eye 2 BeCu wedges and Cleveland lob wedge and Ping Anser 2 putter. All fitted for my game. I play golf six days a week.

ZONA
04-11-2009, 11:56 PM
I think 99% of amateur golfers wouldn't know the difference in ball if you secretly swapped one of the balls for a different one while they weren't looking. A buddy of mine didn't even know I swapped one of his Pro V's once until after 3 holes and he had to clean mud off it and noticed the logo was different. And he shoots under par almost all the time. Very good player. He shot a 73 at Pebble Beach last year.

footstepsfrom#27
04-12-2009, 12:10 AM
This one...

http://www.uniquesportsaccessories.com/images/products/rms-microxbucket.jpg

rbackfactory80
04-12-2009, 07:00 AM

Its scary how good Cleveland drivers are. I would agree. As far as balls, give me a Pro V 1x, I always liked the Nike Black, and love the bridgestone version of the V1X, I think the B330 tour, but I could be wrong. I did recently pick up a box of Nike one tour d, and am interested in playing them.

rbackfactory80
04-12-2009, 07:05 AM
Dude, buy them ALL!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to hunt around for similar deals. I don't even mind them on the long courses because they're not that much shorter. Plus, I almost like landing short, especially if the green slopes upwards and I'm on tidy turf. I bought a cleveland CG-12 wedge, with the grooves that are illegal on tour (but not for us recreational folks). That's probably the best club I've ever bought. With a platinum and that club I can be really aggressive at the pin and do the on-hop-stop or spin in back down the hill if I release the club a little more. It really makes golf fun...even Executive courses!

I'm never really in distance trouble with those balls unless I mi****. I really like how the balls spin on longer shots because I can hit very predictable fades and very high draws. Basically I feel like I can control the trajectory well on any shot. Of course I'm not consistent enough to be a really good golfer yet, but it's the feel of the awesome shots that make me love the game. I don't care about the score except in how it reflects the nice shots along the way.

I hear you but it has to be reasonable. You cant tell a starter to play blades. I play blades (CG1) and was a reasonable ball striker prior to owning them. My father started with blades and couldn't hit them, now he plays an old set of fat shafts and it is like he pures them everytime. Start with cavity backs until you develop some ball striking ability. This was meant to be a reply to post number 8.

PaintballCLE
04-12-2009, 07:12 AM
So i just got my Nike sumo2 driver and 3 wood, and my nike sumo irons, my nike SV sw, along with my new nike bag, new nike shoes, nike towel, nike ball marker, nike hat.................did i mention i like nike golf stuff?

Can't wait to go play with them.........I have been using my old Tommy Armour Ti-100s ( i still can't beleive how big those things are) and callaway woods till now.

Pony Boy
04-12-2009, 08:14 AM
So i just got my Nike sumo2 driver and 3 wood, and my nike sumo irons, my nike SV sw, along with my new nike bag, new nike shoes, nike towel, nike ball marker, nike hat.................did i mention i like nike golf stuff?

Can't wait to go play with them.........I have been using my old Tommy Armour Ti-100s ( i still can't beleive how big those things are) and callaway woods till now.

I know a another guy that's sold on Nike.

Pony Boy
04-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Its scary how good Cleveland drivers are. I would agree. As far as balls, give me a Pro V 1x, I always liked the Nike Black, and love the bridgestone version of the V1X, I think the B330 tour, but I could be wrong. I did recently pick up a box of Nike one tour d, and am interested in playing them.

I have never been a long ball hiiter off the box so picking up 30 yards with the Cleveland Monster is great. With the plus 30 yards I'm still and an average driver (240 to 250) 260 if I really spank one. The driver is a 10.5 draw Reg flex. I start it down th right side and it draws back to the middle with lots of top spin. I have a 6 handicap and play a lot of golf. The Nike Black is the same price as the Pro V x so I don't see a reason to get me to change.

MileHighMagic
04-12-2009, 09:13 AM
Pro V-1's but I hit Nike's far off the tee.

I just bought a Cleveland Hibore also.

PaintballCLE
04-12-2009, 12:34 PM

FYI.....Dlcks (sorry it blocked it out if i spell it the right way) sporting goods and golf galaxy both have them for 29.99 a dozen......and then there are coupons online that get you 10% off a $50 or more purchase.

Cmac821
04-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Just started picking up this game of golf, can't really tell the difference between golf balls yet unless they are really crappy

ghwk
04-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Any ball that defies my drivers proclivity to do a right angle slice is my favorite.

JCMElway
04-12-2009, 11:46 PM
Where's the "It's Griesie's fault/Cutler is a gutless Drunk/McDaniel's is SONOFWHORE!/Dortoh is an idiot," option?

TDmvp
04-13-2009, 01:07 AM
Super Pinnacle , or any of those over sized balls ... LOL ...

They look like a basket ball on a tee hehe ...

I'm so fighting the urge to buy a new driver . I don't play tons maybe 10-12 times a year if I'm lucky . I bought all new clubs besides driver last year cause my Irons needed upgraded ...

But i kept my driver cause when i bought it new it was the bomb and as little as i play it is still in great condition ...

SO QUESTION TO ANYONE WHO PLAYS a good bit ...
How far have drivers come in the last 8 10 years ...
I have a king cobra ti offset , which looks like it's new as little as I play , but it's like 10 years old now... and i keep seeing all these car door sized drivers they are making now ... My cobra is oversized but these ones from the last 5 years just look huge ...

http://valueguide.pga.com/images/Cobra/Woods/king_cobra_ti_offset_large.jpg

as little as I use driver anyway cause I spray it I will most likely not get one . But would like to hear from anyone who has a nice newer driver ...

I end up hitting my 2 or 4 orlimar tri metals off the tee a lot just cause those clubs get the ball UP so easy.

If I did get one I would probably want go with the new Cobra Offsets , Callaway to match my Irons , or Nike...

Speaking of golf , girlfriend got me this for Xmas and haven't even got to hit a ball with it yet ... STOP RAINING ALL READY ...

http://www.sidelinemvp.com/Images/NFL-2ball/broncos2ball.jpg

Dudeskey
04-13-2009, 01:15 AM
The big ones out by Buckley AFB... ;D

TDmvp
04-13-2009, 01:21 AM
The big ones out by Buckley AFB... ;D

Ha!

Well you wouldn't have room for many of those in your bag , but they would be damn sure hard to lose so I guess one would do it...

http://media.nowpublic.net/images/bc/3/bc3a7a6a51ba78719b3430737c2c5f47.jpg

Dudeskey
04-13-2009, 01:43 AM
Ha!

Well you wouldn't have room for many of those in your bag , but they would be damn sure hard to lose so I guess one would do it...

http://media.nowpublic.net/images/bc/3/bc3a7a6a51ba78719b3430737c2c5f47.jpg

yep, those are the ones!

ludo21
04-13-2009, 06:30 AM
That Putter is SICK, TDMvp!

I have Broncos head covers for my drivers, they are pretty cool.

Tom A Hawk
04-13-2009, 07:31 AM

ditto - I like the performance around the green. Easy to spin with short irons and I seem t putt better with this ball.

Tom A Hawk
04-13-2009, 07:37 AM
Super Pinnacle , or any of those over sized balls ... LOL ...

They look like a basket ball on a tee hehe ...

I'm so fighting the urge to buy a new driver . I don't play tons maybe 10-12 times a year if I'm lucky . I bought all new clubs besides driver last year cause my Irons needed upgraded ...

But i kept my driver cause when i bought it new it was the bomb and as little as i play it is still in great condition ...

SO QUESTION TO ANYONE WHO PLAYS a good bit ...
How far have drivers come in the last 8 10 years ...
I have a king cobra ti offset , which looks like it's new as little as I play , but it's like 10 years old now... and i keep seeing all these car door sized drivers they are making now ... My cobra is oversized but these ones from the last 5 years just look huge ...

http://valueguide.pga.com/images/Cobra/Woods/king_cobra_ti_offset_large.jpg

as little as I use driver anyway cause I spray it I will most likely not get one . But would like to hear from anyone who has a nice newer driver ...

I end up hitting my 2 or 4 orlimar tri metals off the tee a lot just cause those clubs get the ball UP so easy.

If I did get one I would probably want go with the new Cobra Offsets , Callaway to match my Irons , or Nike...

Speaking of golf , girlfriend got me this for Xmas and haven't even got to hit a ball with it yet ... STOP RAINING ALL READY ...

http://www.sidelinemvp.com/Images/NFL-2ball/broncos2ball.jpg

I moved from the Cobra Ti to the Cobra comp 414 about 4 years ago. Little smaller in head size than the other newer models. 45g stiff shaft. I hit the driver fairly straight and consistent around 280 yards. I just tried the Cobra Lv4 and Lv5. for some reason I cannot hit either of those worth a lick. I think I get psyched about the head size of the club. I can't seem to get passed looking down and seeing something the size of a spare tire to hit a tiny little ball.

kamakazi_kal
04-13-2009, 12:57 PM
nike JUICE ..... It's just forgiving.

TDmvp
04-13-2009, 04:25 PM
I moved from the Cobra Ti to the Cobra comp 414 about 4 years ago. Little smaller in head size than the other newer models. 45g stiff shaft. I hit the driver fairly straight and consistent around 280 yards. I just tried the Cobra Lv4 and Lv5. for some reason I cannot hit either of those worth a lick. I think I get psyched about the head size of the club. I can't seem to get passed looking down and seeing something the size of a spare tire to hit a tiny little ball.

Was looking at the l4/l5s as well , but just can't see spending that much , maybe used ... and really not sure If my TI is really that bad even if it is old .lol ...

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Bit the bullet last year and got the Calloway X, 9.5 degree loft. LOVE that club. I hit it a ton and got a damn good deal at Golfsmith.

I swear by my Cleveland Launcher 4Wood as well. $90 online at Golfsmith. hit it better than any other club in my bag.

http://www.austads.com/austads/assets/product_images/PABBIABBNMBDPGDC.jpg

http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/571656/6498352/0/1217239355/Golf_clubs_golf_drivers_golf_fairway_woods_golf_ir ons_Callaway_Hyper_X_Driver.jpg

I like it because it's not overly-big. Still big, but not loaf of bread on a stick big.

zdoor
04-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Pro V1x followed by the Callaways... I can hit ProV1 the farthest. Haven't tried the nike Platinmums though. I'll have to give them a shot next round...

TDmvp
04-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Bit the bullet last year and got the Calloway X, 9.5 degree loft. LOVE that club. I hit it a ton and got a damn good deal at Golfsmith.

I swear by my Cleveland Launcher 4Wood as well. $90 online at Golfsmith. hit it better than any other club in my bag.

Yea buddy of mine has a Cleveland driver and loves it ...

I almost bought 1 last year but just can't bring myself to put something that says Cleveland on it , in my Broncos Bag LOL

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Yea buddy of mine has a Cleveland driver and loves it ...

I almost bought 1 last year but just can't bring myself to put something that says Cleveland on it , in my Broncos Bag LOL

You'd be surprised how quickly you get over it when you can hit one stiff from 230. Good lordy. I also swear by Cleveland wedges.

My Broncos head covers and accessories tend to even everything out.

Dig that putter though. Gotta let me know how you do with it. I'm in the market and that's a club that really interests me.

TDmvp
04-13-2009, 04:38 PM
You'd be surprised how quickly you get over it when you can hit one stiff from 230. Good lordy. I also swear by Cleveland wedges.

My Broncos head covers and accessories tend to even everything out.

Dig that putter though. Gotta let me know how you do with it. I'm in the market and that's a club that really interests me.

I may have to go hit a Cleveland Driver ... Friend who got one was so happy with it for the price ...

I'll post about how the putter does if it ever stops raining long enough for me to get a round in heheh ... Just from hitting balls with it in the house you can tell it's going to be sweet :)

Pony Boy
04-13-2009, 05:01 PM
I may have to go hit a Cleveland Driver ... Friend who got one was so happy with it for the price ...

I'll post about how the putter does if it ever stops raining long enough for me to get a round in heheh ... Just from hitting balls with it in the house you can tell it's going to be sweet :)

I have a Cleveland Hibore Monster XLS in my bag and it's awesome. :strong:
Read the review http://www.golfcaddie.net/reviews/cleveland-hibore-monster-xls

rckymtnji
04-13-2009, 05:14 PM
ProV1 by a long shot. Unfortunately the only ones I played were found on the course. I would never pay that much for golf balls. The NXT is good and affordable.

TDmvp
04-13-2009, 10:30 PM
http://www.austads.com/austads/assets/product_images/PABBIABBNMBDPGDC.jpg

http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/571656/6498352/0/1217239355/Golf_clubs_golf_drivers_golf_fairway_woods_golf_ir ons_Callaway_Hyper_X_Driver.jpg

And yea Moose that is tight .... My Irons are Callaway so me like hehe ....

Got my Cobra TI from Golfsmith , I may have to look their page over a bit .
Golf clubs drop in price so fast GS normally has killer deals ...

I got 2 of those nike cpr hybrids that replace long irons for 70 each from GS about a 4 months after a friend got 1 for 219 from golf galaxy last year ...

http://www.melorib.com/nike_cpr.jpg

Cito Pelon
04-13-2009, 11:30 PM
Titleist 1's. That's all I ever play. 100 compression.

Mr Chatterboodamn
05-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Bump.

A few people in this thread loved Nike One Platinums... as most of you know, they're discontinued. I usually try to buy them used/refurbished, but sometimes I need to buy a sleeve or a dozen to tide me over.

I don't really like the Nike One Tour as much -- it spins less around the green and I just don't get that same magic feeling off the putter. A mi**** can feel like a rock. They do seem to go farther, but I don't think they're very fun to play with. I would probably take the Pro V1x over the One Tour.

That said, I have recently fallen in love with the new Taylormade Penta! I feel like it's a longer version of the NOP, and I probably prefer its performance with mid- and long irons. It's probably the only ball that has the same ball "magic" for me that the Platinums had.

TM Penta Review:
http://thesandtrap.com/balls/taylormade_penta_tp_ball_review

Anyone else try them? Thoughts? What have other NOP fans switched to since discontinuation?

Man I can't wait for finals to be over so I can play again!

PaintballCLE
05-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Bump.

A few people in this thread loved Nike One Platinums... as most of you know, they're discontinued. I usually try to buy them used/refurbished, but sometimes I need to buy a sleeve or a dozen to tide me over.

I don't really like the Nike One Tour as much -- it spins less around the green and I just don't get that same magic feeling off the putter. A mi**** can feel like a rock. They do seem to go farther, but I don't think they're very fun to play with. I would probably take the Pro V1x over the One Tour.

That said, I have recently fallen in love with the new Taylormade Penta! I feel like it's a longer version of the NOP, and I probably prefer its performance with mid- and long irons. It's probably the only ball that has the same ball "magic" for me that the Platinums had.

TM Penta Review:
http://thesandtrap.com/balls/taylormade_penta_tp_ball_review

Anyone else try them? Thoughts? What have other NOP fans switched to since discontinuation?

Man I can't wait for finals to be over so I can play again!

actually, if you have any dicks sporting goods near you..... many of them still ahve the NOP.........they are in the clearance section and they are 19.99 a dozen. Just picked up 12 dozen from a local dicks last week. i haven't been to one yet that didn't have the NOB, but over 50% have the NOP......but thats here around the cleveland area.....

azbroncfan
05-05-2010, 10:56 PM
ProV1 by a long shot. Unfortunately the only ones I played were found on the course. I would never pay that much for golf balls. The NXT is good and affordable.

I agree that I never buy golf balls. Lucky playing here in scottsdale there are ProV's, Taylormade's, Callaways, Niketours and every other top of the line balls in the desert. If I get low I walk in one spot and usually find 3-5 in 5 minutes. Bag is full of them. I won't even pick up distance balls other than if someone else in the group wants them.