PDA

View Full Version : Do you use tobacco?

baja
04-10-2009, 09:23 PM
I would guess about 60% don't use tobacco.

Poll coming.

Florida_Bronco
04-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Absolutely not. It's ****ing disgusting.

Malcontent
04-10-2009, 09:30 PM
I quit chewing Copenhagen January 4th....Feel good, and wife doesn't yell at me for not picking up spit bottles from around the house. BTW....Nicorette gum is a GODSEND!!!!

I honestly could not have done it w/o it! If you still smoke/chew...stop it!! buy the gum, follow the directions, and you will be free in 60 days.

Florida_Bronco
04-10-2009, 09:34 PM
I quit chewing Copenhagen January 4th....Feel good, and wife doesn't yell at me for not picking up spit bottles from around the house. BTW....Nicorette gum is a GODSEND!!!!

I honestly could not have done it w/o it! If you still smoke/chew...stop it!! buy the gum, follow the directions, and you will be free in 60 days.

Congrats on quitting!

Natedog24
04-10-2009, 09:39 PM

Wow quitting Copenhagen can be very tough from what I have heard from users. Congrats!

Malcontent
04-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks guys..I chewed for 20 plus years man..It was a part of my life...and I was hooked like friggin heroin!! I saw a guy at the Mall last Christmas while shopping, and he had nothing but a scarf covering a gaping hole where his whole lower jaw used to be. I whispered to his wife(while waiting in line for a pretzel) if he chewed..she teared up and said yes...

2 weeks later(delayed reality) I quit!

baja
04-10-2009, 09:47 PM

I quit Copenhagen and it was the hardest addiction I ever had to deal with.

ColoradoDarin
04-10-2009, 09:47 PM
How should I vote? I'm not a smoker or a chewer, but I enjoy a good cigar here and there.

Malcontent
04-10-2009, 09:49 PM
I quit Copenhagen and it was the hardest addiction I ever had to deal with.

Cheers Baja!

bronco610
04-10-2009, 09:50 PM
I quit smoking Dec. 31, 11:55 pm after 35 years. So no I don't use tobacco !!!!!! :clown:

baja
04-10-2009, 09:51 PM
How should I vote? I'm not a smoker or a chewer, but I enjoy a good cigar here and there.

Well than you gotta vote yes. I hear ya though a good cigar is the only tobacco product I crave from time to time.

Malcontent
04-10-2009, 09:53 PM
I quit smoking Dec. 31, 11:55 pm after 35 years. So no I don't use tobacco !!!!!! :clown:

Cold turkey?? or did you use the patch/gum etc.... and CONGRATS!

baja
04-10-2009, 09:54 PM

Awesome that you did that for yourself...

I smoked/chewed from 14 to 43

Pony Boy
04-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Some fans are stupid.

Los Broncos
04-10-2009, 10:01 PM
I have been smoking for about 4 years, really need to quit at some point.

TheDave
04-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Copenhagen... :thumbs:

MileHighMagic
04-10-2009, 10:13 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/127/396123685_e313fcedee.jpg?v=0

SoCalBronco
04-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Nope

ColoradoDarin
04-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Well than you gotta vote yes. I hear ya though a good cigar is the only tobacco product I crave from time to time.

I voted no, 2-3 times per year I don't think is enough for me to qualify

bronco610
04-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Cold turkey?? or did you use the patch/gum etc.... and CONGRATS!

Gum, but now I'm off that. :strong:

bronco610
04-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Awesome that you did that for yourself...

I smoked/chewed from 14 to 43

Basically from 15 to 50.

baja
04-10-2009, 10:36 PM
I voted no, 2-3 times per year I don't think is enough for me to qualify

Wish I could do that. I had a stint with good Cuban cigars, started innocent enough about 1 a week but soon it was up to 3 or 4 a day. Had to quit all over again.

Broncobiv
04-10-2009, 10:53 PM
I don't use tobacco products. Every once in a while (maybe 4 times a year) I'll have a cigarette when I'm drunk. Because I don't smoke, it gives me such a high and makes my head all spinny and fun! But I've never had the craving to smoke or anything, so I know I'm in no danger of actually smoking. My wife smokes, and like I said, I'll have maybe 4 per year.

It makes me long for the days when I was first learning to drink (freshman year of college). It was so exciting drinking alcohol because it made my body feel so weird and fun. But there's no way to go backwards. Of course I'll still enjoy drinking, but it's nothing like my first year of it. That's why I'll "indulge" in a cigarette once every few months. I'm in no way used to or addicted to it, so I get that full intense feeling for a few minutes and it completely enhances the buzz.

Boobs McGee
04-10-2009, 10:55 PM
Congrats baja.

I quit smoking after 8 years. BUT, I chew now....so wow. Didn't really change anything.

Luckily, I don't chew a whole lot, but damn that grizzly mint!

Tried Chantix, it worked fairly well, until I went to vegas :(

Tell ya what though, since I quit smoking, I feel INCREDIBLE! I can run again, don't wake up wheezing, even my tounge doesn't have that permanent white filmy **** that won't come off with brushing. eww. AND, I got about a half an octave back so far on the top of my range!

But dammit, I started chewing so that's the next step. Not nearly as bad as smoking for me, only do it a few times a day, but gotta stop.

Boobs McGee
04-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Gum, but now I'm off that. :strong:

WAY TO GO!

stay off the juice ;)

congrats

baja
04-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Congrats baja.

I quit smoking after 8 years. BUT, I chew now....so wow. Didn't really change anything.

Luckily, I don't chew a whole lot, but damn that grizzly mint!

Tried Chantix, it worked fairly well, until I went to vegas :(

Tell ya what though, since I quit smoking, I feel INCREDIBLE! I can run again, don't wake up wheezing, even my tounge doesn't have that permanent white filmy **** that won't come off with brushing. eww. AND, I got about a half an octave back so far on the top of my range!

But dammit, I started chewing so that's the next step. Not nearly as bad as smoking for me, only do it a few times a day, but gotta stop.

My lower gum was being eaten away so I had to quit, the amazing part is over time the gum grew back. The body is truly amazing.

ZONA
04-10-2009, 11:12 PM
I've chewed Kodiac for about 8 years now I guess but for some reason, I don't feel dependent on it. Sometimes I go days without taking a dip for no reason at all and then some days it's maybe a dip or 2 and that's it. A can usually will last me a month I'm guessing. Not great for me I know but a can a month is not what you call a heavy tobacco user. That's like smoking a pack of cigs every month (less then 1 cig a day).

Boobs McGee
04-10-2009, 11:13 PM
My lower gum was being eaten away so I had to quit, the amazing part is over time the gum grew back. The body is truly amazing.

WOWSERS.

That's just it...gotta quit while the quittin's good. My step mom's a nurse, ALWAYS sending me shwag about the benefits of stopping tobacco use. You're absolutely right, the body is incredible. In both chewing/smoking instances, the body will regenerate itself (up to a certain point).

I'm not b.s.ing at all when I say, I'm happy to hear you kicked it. Keep it up man

baja
04-10-2009, 11:22 PM
WOWSERS.

That's just it...gotta quit while the quittin's good. My step mom's a nurse, ALWAYS sending me shwag about the benefits of stopping tobacco use. You're absolutely right, the body is incredible. In both chewing/smoking instances, the body will regenerate itself (up to a certain point).

I'm not b.s.ing at all when I say, I'm happy to hear you kicked it. Keep it up man

Thanks man I quit the chew in 1993 had a stint with the Cuban cigars for about 6 months than I quit that too.

SureShot
04-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Skoal Mint

bronco610
04-10-2009, 11:55 PM
Just stay away from meth alley.

SouthStndJunkie
04-11-2009, 12:02 AM
I have my vices, but luckily tobacco is not one of them.

spdirty
04-11-2009, 12:57 AM
can you do both patches AND gum?

I tried quitting cope almost exactly 1 year ago and lasted about 2 days before wigging out on everybody...just ended up going from long cut to pouches, which are I think not as bad. A lot cleaner and easier to deal with if you ask me. But I really want to quit, just not ready yet I guess.

brncobrett
04-11-2009, 08:14 AM
Good thread Baja..

I've been a smoker for 10 years and just quit last week cold turkey. No patches no gum. It's been hard to say the least but with the price of cigs going up I have no choice. Plus it's not as cool to be a smoker anymore. For my health and my kids health it's better anyway...

Don't use the patches and gum at the same time you could overdose and get sick..Just use one or the other..My wife is using the patch and it's working great for her so far..

BMarsh615
04-11-2009, 08:38 AM
I smoke and I chew tobacco. I smoke a pack a day and go through a can and a half of snuff a week.

http://www.buysmokelesstobaccocompany.com/smokeless_tobacco_brands/red_seal_long_cut_wintergreen_smokeless_tobacco.jp g

http://www.zigsam.at/l7/B_Cig/CamelWidesFilters-20fUS2004.jpg

Tom H.
04-11-2009, 08:39 AM
It's been a while since I last smoked but I still have dreams that I am.

DarkHorse30
04-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Yes, I smoke. Who cares?

MrPeepers
04-11-2009, 09:21 AM
I started chewing, then smoked in the military(couldn't chew on the ship out at sea), then went back to smoking, then chewing. Had a 2 yr break somewhere in there.

I too saw a guy in the grocery store with a half a face. I stopped cold turkey that day. I used lipton tea bags for the oral fixation,but never chewed again. Clean for 5 years or something now.

STBumpkin
04-11-2009, 09:22 AM
I quit smoking after about 8 years (pack a day) Nov 4th last year. Cold turkey, but it was right at the end of a 6 month desert deployment. I kind of fooled my body into thinking that deployment ending was the big change instead of the removal of nicotine from my system. I really don't even think about it anymore.

footstepsfrom#27
04-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Some fans are stupid.
How'd you get Bob's baby pix?

BroncoBuff
04-11-2009, 09:41 AM
I smoke a cigar maybe once every other month, so I voted no.

Broncoman13
04-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Wish I could do that. I had a stint with good Cuban cigars, started innocent enough about 1 a week but soon it was up to 3 or 4 a day. Had to quit all over again.

I'm glad you pointed this out!!! I quit smoking about two years ago. Chantix (r) was what helped me to quit. Anyhow, here in the last 4 or 5 months I have taken to smoking the occasional cigar. Probably about 1 every couple of weeks. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Probably not a good idea since it does cause the occasional craving.

Ironlung
04-11-2009, 09:57 AM
I quit smoking June '08 on my sons second birthday after smoking for 16 years. I hated seein my son stand at the screen door watching me smoke so I did something about it.

I went with the cold turkey method and havent had one since the day I quit, but I would suggest using the gum or something to help you as it really sucked. It wasn't the cravings because I was ready to quit, it was the feeling of nervousness from hell. I've never had anxiety like that in my life.

The key to quitting is, being ready to quit and being serious about it. For me it got to a point where I hated everything about it. The smell, the price, the taste, the fact that you are paying to kill yourself.

Orange_Beard
04-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Cigars. 1 or 2 a month. Been off chew for ten plus years.

brncobrett
04-11-2009, 11:09 AM
I quit smoking June '08 on my sons second birthday after smoking for 16 years. I hated seein my son stand at the screen door watching me smoke so I did something about it.

Same here..

DBBBSBS
04-11-2009, 12:18 PM
people who use tobacco have no control over there mind or heart

TheDave
04-11-2009, 12:26 PM

And all these years I thought I just had a problem with nicotine...

cutthemdown
04-11-2009, 02:27 PM

none whatsoever huh? Isn't there varying levels of control or do you see having an addiction as saying you have no control over anything?

You could also say then if you need coffee every morning to get going you have no control .

Or is it the fact tobacco more dangerous?

Hogan11
04-11-2009, 02:47 PM
I used tobacco (heavily) for 15 years and quit it cold turkey because of insane price increases and just the feeling that 15 years was enough. Outside of the first week, it was much easier than everyone made it out to be (guess I must be one of the lucky ones). Been off from it now for 13 years and other than the rare cigar, haven't had any desire to use it since.

Pick Six
04-11-2009, 02:54 PM
I actually made my wife quit smoking before I married her. So, no...

ZONA
04-11-2009, 03:07 PM

Do you watch TV? You have no control over your mind if you do.

Seriously, that statement above is just as stupid as your was. Just because somebody uses tobacco doesn't mean they have NO control over their mind or heart for that matter.

Same ole thing, people over analyzing stuff, making idiotic comments.

Boobs McGee
04-11-2009, 07:35 PM

:thumbsup: your an asshole :thumbs:

correction...that statement you made means you're ACTING like an asshole, you aren't necessarily branded one.

But man that's a pretty stupid statement.

watermock
04-11-2009, 07:46 PM
http://cr4.globalspec.com/PostImages/200709/TinFoil_DB52B2F1-0E7F-A983-F0F9D799A20B06C8.jpg

Me and Beezer use both chew and tinfoil (altho Beezer lost his hat and didn't like chew.) He's been abducted.

Aliens hate spittle.

Boobs McGee
04-11-2009, 07:58 PM
http://cr4.globalspec.com/PostImages/200709/TinFoil_DB52B2F1-0E7F-A983-F0F9D799A20B06C8.jpg

Me and Beezer use both chew and tinfoil (altho Beezer lost his hat and didn't like chew.) He's been abducted.

Aliens hate spittle.

hahahahahahahHA that is phuckin AWESOME mock! lol

watermock
04-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Since my very cool upstairs neighbor (with the killer Ozark Chronic) got thrown out because of his Boxer doggie, I've resorted to swisher sweets, altho I smoke them like joints.

7 bucks for 5, but they are 2 for 1 now. I'm so high strung, I like the sedative. I can quit anytime tho.

sure I can.

jhat01
04-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Skoal Mint

That was a wonderful habit I picked up while I was in the Corps....finally gave it up though after 15 years of a can every other day.

Bronco_Beerslug
04-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Tobacco is the worst (legal) drug out there, by far, that one could ever put in their mouth and body.

Florida_Bronco
04-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Tobacco is the worst (legal) drug out there, by far, that one could ever put in their mouth and body.

Agreed.

baja
04-11-2009, 08:50 PM

Aliens hate spittle.

ha ha ha Thank you Mock for that it was a reminder of how much f'n fun we used to have around here.

baja
04-11-2009, 09:05 PM
This is from memory but I believe in the 70's smoking was at it's peak with 60 % of adults smoking. We started to educate the public about the ills of smoking and now the percentages are 20% of the population smoke. It seems most on the guys that use tobacco on this thread would like to quit or are at least thinking about it. This is a case where education about the ills of a substance caused a huge reduction in general usage through awareness.

I think this makes a strong case to legalize recreational drugs, tax them and spend much of the revenue on education and recovery assistance.

watermock
04-11-2009, 10:03 PM
In WW2 rations were supplied with cigs and chocolate.

Movies in that period everyone smoked, including women.

cutthemdown
04-12-2009, 12:38 AM

What about loads of xanax or valium.

What would be worst a cigarette a day, or a xanax a day, for 10 yrs str8?

DBBBSBS
04-12-2009, 02:16 AM
:thumbsup: your an a-hole :thumbs:

correction...that statement you made means you're ACTING like an a-hole, you aren't necessarily branded one.

But man that's a pretty stupid statement.

so be it.. they say smoking is injurious and still idiots who have no brain cells are ready to try, so they have no self control

DBBBSBS
04-12-2009, 02:18 AM
Do you watch TV? You have no control over your mind if you do.

Seriously, that statement above is just as stupid as your was. Just because somebody uses tobacco doesn't mean they have NO control over their mind or heart for that matter.

Same ole thing, people over analyzing stuff, making idiotic comments.

I watch tv for a max of 3 hrs in a given week. sometimes i wont be watching it. I know when to watch and what to do.. i don't do stuff they say is bad for you...

Like they say on a box of cig's

DBBBSBS
04-12-2009, 02:20 AM
those who are tom , dick and harrry.. smoke cig's, because it is a cheap addiction they can get involved to.

everyone who have too much money to spare use drugs and spoil everyone around them as well.. it is just a different level that is all.

and some here comment on the athletes who use them as though they are very sane

Meck77
04-12-2009, 06:28 AM
Started smoking in college. Ten years later I was still trying convince myself that I wasn't a "Real" smoker. I quit several years ago. Nicorette certainly helped.

I still crave cigars while fishing but not enough to ever try one again.

My recommendation for quitting that worked for me. Might work for you.

1) You have to decide that you are ready.
2) Get a huge pack of nicorrete from Costco.
3) Stop going to bars or drinking alcohol for at least the first 30 days
4) Run your ass off. The moment you want a sig run til you want to puke then run a bit further.
5) Maybe this should be #2 but print out a cancerous lung or face and hang it in your bathroom so you see it every morning.

Pony Boy
04-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Popeye's mom was a smoker, so It can't be that bad.

Vegas_Bronco
04-12-2009, 09:49 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/2780764.jpg

Tobacco = KC Chiefs fan

....just thought I'd help those trying to stop.

gyldenlove
04-12-2009, 10:05 AM
I smoke a cigar maybe once every other month, so I voted no.

Holy crap, someone who has more kids than Travis Henry and the Octomom!