PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos: April 9's Seven-Round Mock Draft

80smith
04-10-2009, 10:16 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/153401-denver-broncos-seven-round-mock-draft-updated-april-9th

First Round, 12th overall: Tyson Jackson, Defensive End, LSU

I am growing more fond of the idea of drafting Tyson Jackson by the day. It is well documented that he is my top choice for this pick as long as B.J. Raji is off the board, and the Broncos would be wise to add the best 3-4 defensive end the draft has to offer.

Jackson stands at 6'4" 295 pounds and has been compared to former Georgia Bulldog and current New England Patriots star defensive end Richard Seymour. Seymour was much more highly touted coming out of college, but Jackson could have a similar impact on Denver's defense.

He is a bull-rushing, run-stuffing, ultra-athletic end and packs a great punch for his size. He is not a refined pass rusher, but he can help the Broncos stop the run, which they have been unable to do for two years now.

Any one have any info on this guy? If he can stop the run sign me up....

Inkana7
04-10-2009, 10:20 PM
He's the kind of guy you need on defense but no fan wants.

Malcontent
04-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Nice find..I love the Mike Thomas-WR pick..another Northcutt type guy in late rounds. Overall I would be ecstatic with this draft...JPW-QB will most likely bust, but lets give him a shot.

BroncoMan4ever
04-10-2009, 10:38 PM

exactly. he is the smart pick but not the flashy pick.

he's the type who will be very important to a defensive line for years to come, but really not get any notice for it.

80smith
04-10-2009, 10:47 PM
exactly. he is the smart pick but not the flashy pick.

he's the type who will be very important to a defensive line for years to come, but really not get any notice for it.

Sounds like this is what Denver needs! I don't know about the rest of you people, but I need a TEAM to root for not just a player.

Killericon
04-10-2009, 11:12 PM
I would love this draft.

Popps
04-10-2009, 11:14 PM

I'd be thrilled with that pick.

Paladin
04-11-2009, 12:15 AM
If the picks for the Broncos would go down like this projection, it would be an absolute gem. Can it happen? Dunno, but the dreams just got better.....

ZONA
04-11-2009, 12:37 AM
Not a bad mock draft at all. I can say I would not be unhappy at all if things unfolded for us this way on draft day. Sure, I'd rather trade #12 and move down like to #16 because I think Tyson Jackson will be there at #16 and we probably could pick up a 2nd rounder in 2010 with that move.

SureShot
04-11-2009, 12:46 AM
I'm not a huge fan of Rey Rey, but at 18 I think there is value.

BroncoMan4ever
04-11-2009, 01:12 AM
I'd be thrilled with that pick.

you and the majority of the fans who actually watch and to a point analyze the games and see where we are weak and need improvement would love the pick. but to the fans who simply watch the games, his position is looked at as a why the hell did we take him in the 1st round. the majority of fans don't realize the game is won in the trenches and not necessarily with the flashy specialty position players that they think should be picked in the draft.

he's the guy and position that every team is built on and every team needs, that the majority of fans never really understand how important he truly is.

BroncoMan4ever
04-11-2009, 01:16 AM
I'm not a huge fan of Rey Rey, but at 18 I think there is value.

i agree but i do think Matthews would be the better pick. Ray isn't going to be a huge upgrade over Davis and DJ in the middle. but a guy like Matthews would be a major improvement over Boss on the outside.

all 3 of the USC LBs are good, but i think Matthews provides the most worth to us immediately and for the forseeable future.

Ray at ILB is a minor improvement over an aging Davis and inexperienced 3-4 LB in DJ, but it isn't as big an improvement as Matthews or even Cushing would be in comparison with Boss, who is slated to be our OLB as our depth chart stands now.

Hulamau
04-11-2009, 02:32 AM
If the picks for the Broncos would go down like this projection, it would be an absolute gem. Can it happen? Dunno, but the dreams just got better.....

Solid draft indeed, though I doubt the Mike Thomas pick, Not that he isn't worth it, but we've already got a smallish studly WR who can easily play slot in Eddie, Cold better see a RB or another WR with more size if another one is available.

ZONA
04-11-2009, 02:45 AM
See, I would put DJ on the outside in front of Boss and put Cushing or Rey in the middle to compete with Davis and Larsen. I just hope that Woodyard can gain enough weight to take over for Davis in 2010. I would love to see the likes of DJ, Woodyard, Rey/Cushing and Doomerville as our LB group by mid season. That's a great combination of size, speed, pass rushing and coverage right there.

Elway777
04-11-2009, 04:09 AM
Its a pretty good draft . If the Broncos go with Tyson Jackson and Rey Rey in round one then I hope they move up in round 2 to get a player like Conner Barwin or Clay Mathews if they fall . Maybe trade up for Moreno or Ron Brace. It would take at least a 3 rounder to move up. I also like Chis Baker in the 3 round and Glen Coffee in the 4 or 5 round.

Dedhed
04-11-2009, 04:23 AM
Jackson/Maualuga in the 1st would be awesome. I don't understand the hate on Rey, he's everything Al Wilson was in a bigger package. He's as disruptive a defensive player as there is in this draft. Yes, he's much better coming forward than dropping, but he's a perfect fit inside in a 3-4 and would be an immediate impact player for us.

The Joker
04-11-2009, 04:24 AM
Tyson Jackson at #12 seems the smart pick at this point.

So many of the other guys we could pick at #12 have huge question marks over them, lot of boom or bust potential there. Jackson's floor is much higher than most, at worst we'll get a solid 3-4 DE.

For a team who absolutely can't afford to miss with this pick, I think he's the way to go.

#18 is anybody's guess. Rey Rey, Cushing, Matthews, Moreno, Wells, Brown are just six options we could realistically go for, at least a few of them will be there.

Think we'll add a RB before the end of Round 3.

illbroncsfn
04-11-2009, 07:21 AM
One of the best mock drafts I have seen as of yet. Love the 'Bama safety pick and Mitch King DE from Iowa....

Crashman44b
04-11-2009, 07:55 AM
I like most the picks expect Rashad Johnson. Does anybody else think he is a product of coaching at the college level instead of talent?

illbroncsfn
04-11-2009, 08:10 AM
I like most the picks expect Rashad Johnson. Does anybody else think he is a product of coaching at the college level instead of talent?

Potentially- the one downfall IMHO of Rashad Johnson is he a CB frame on a Safety. I know that I may have blinders on because I have longed for a ballhawking Safety in Denver's defensive backfield for soo long....

cousinal11
04-11-2009, 08:14 AM
Would love the pick.

If that's the way we go at 12, what are we thinking at 18?

USC LB?

Crashman44b
04-11-2009, 08:22 AM
Potentially- the one downfall IMHO of Rashad Johnson is he a CB frame on a Safety. I know that I may have blinders on because I have longed for a ballhawking Safety in Denver's defensive backfield for soo long....

You say "Yea I like him but....." and you point out the flaws. I can handle posts like this. Saban is a defensive guy and I dont like the pick myself. I think he might be a product of a system. Just saying.

Rohirrim
04-11-2009, 08:45 AM
I'll send them a hundred bucks if Shipley is there in the seventh. My mock is much better. Of course, mine comes from God. ;D

worm
04-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Lots of love for Tyson these days. Who knew that you guys watched so many LSU games.

Interesting, considering the off year he had in 2008 when he didn't have Dorsey getting the attention next to him...and seriously, 20 reps at #225?!?

IMO, Tyson is a 1st rounder and would be a decent pick at #18....but #12? I think you need more of a playmaker there...even if it is on offense.

Hamrob
04-11-2009, 09:12 AM
I like most of this draft...but not Johnson in the 2nd. I think there will be better value for that pick than Johnson.

27atwater
04-11-2009, 09:38 AM
I don't hate this at all. I'm not a big Johnson guy, but if we get TJax I'll be estatic. I wasn't huge on Maualuga (rather have Sintim), but since we have 2 #1s, I'd be OK taking him at 18. LOVE Shipley in rd7.

want2bAbronco2
04-11-2009, 11:59 AM
If we could pull that draft I would be more then happy!

400HZ
04-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Tyson Jackson has sucked since his sophmore year of college.

Ziggy Hood is faster, stronger, and has twice the motor.

cmhargrove
04-11-2009, 03:51 PM

I don't think this at all. The only proper knock on Johnson is his size. Can he help in run support against 220 lb running backs? But as far as ball-hawking skills, those can't be "coached." He has "it" as much as any defensive back in this draft.

His coaches said repeatedly, that when the game was on the line and they absolutely, positively needed a play - Rashad Johnson was the one to produce. The dude can flat out play, but is he big enough?

Excellent play recognition, tremendous closing speed. He would be a major asset to our team.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HXUuoHGyWyk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HXUuoHGyWyk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>