PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to go ahead and call it -- Josh Freeman is our pick at #12

BowlenBall
04-10-2009, 05:20 AM
After some long hard reflection, I get the feeling that QB Josh Freeman is going to be the pick at #12, for the following reasons:

1) Before the Jay Cutler trade, we all would have placed Kyle Orton somewhere between #20 - #30 in NFL quarterback rankings (even lower if you consider that there are several backups around the league that are better than him). Even Chicago kept trying to replace him with other QBs on the roster, before finally packaging him as a throw-in with two #1s and a #3 pick. He's not a franchise QB, and never will be -- as much as I wish it could be possible.

2) Also, Orton will be a free agent at the end of the 2009 season.

3) On the other hand, Orton does look like a nice, safe caretaker QB who can protect the ball and win 8-10 games while you develop your real #1.

4) The Broncos are picking at #12 -- when you're picking that high, and you need a QB, you usually take one. In addition, the #12 looks like a great position to pick either Sanchez (if he falls to this slot) or Freeman (who will almost definitely be there).

5) However, Sanchez is projected to go to either Seattle at #4, Jacksonville at #8, or San Francisco at #10. Odds are he'll be gone by our pick.

6) At the USC pro day, 30 teams were in attendance. The only two that weren't? Denver and Houston. The only reason we wouldn't have sent a representative (especially in light of all the DEFENSIVE talent at USC) would be to set up a ruse -- i.e., we're very interested in Sanchez, and therefore not attending this huge pro day to throw people off our trail.

7) However, this ruse seems a bit too obvious, doesn't it? Seems to me that the Broncos are trying to make it seem like we're taking Sanchez, so that another team will trade in front of us to take him -- meaning that Freeman will be there when we finally pick.

8) In fact, I think that many teams around the league are higher on Freeman than we realize -- the lack of "buzz" is curious for someone who comes from a large program, has prototypical physical attributes, and great stats.

9. Finally, the drop-off in talent from Freeman to the next QB is amazing -- the next one is projected to go in the 4th round. If we don't get Freeman, there really is no one left on the board.

Whaddaya think? Anyone else want to join me on the Freeman bandwagon?:bandwagon

Crashman44b
04-10-2009, 05:28 AM
Next......

Ratboy
04-10-2009, 05:31 AM
yawn

Ratboy
04-10-2009, 05:33 AM
McDaniels could have taken a higher draft pick from Washington. He obviously thought highly of Kyle Orton.

We won't take a QB no earlier than the 3rd round.

Elway777
04-10-2009, 05:42 AM
I could see using 18 pick on freeman but not the 12 pick. Freeman needs a couple of years to learn how to play Qb . Freeman has all the physical tools but needs to work on mental part of the game. The money at 18 spot would be also better for someone to hold a clip board for 2 years.

Ratboy
04-10-2009, 05:56 AM
I could see using 18 pick on freeman but not the 12 pick. Freeman needs a couple of years to learn how to play Qb . Freeman has all the physical tools but needs to work on mental part of the game. The money at 18 spot would be also better for someone to hold a clip board for 2 years.

Kyle Orton is going to be our QB in 2009, like it or not. McDaniels thinks he can win with him and will not draft a QB in the higher rounds. My guess is a DT and a LB with the first 2 picks. A Cornerback will not surprise me. What will surprise me is taking an offensive player within the first 2 rounds.

Look for Denver to trade down further in the first round. I can see Denver trading 12 and/or 18 to gather more draft picks.

dbfan21
04-10-2009, 06:22 AM
All I have to say is....No freakin way! If the Broncos take Freeman at 12, I will videotape myself eating a homeless man's underwear and YouTube it for the world to see.

DeuceOfClub
04-10-2009, 06:33 AM
"Worst 'Going to go ahead and call it', EVER!

http://www.nerve.com/CS/blogs/61fps/2009/02/comic-book-guy.gif

loborugger
04-10-2009, 06:34 AM
Wonderful - #30 defense in the league last year, and with our first pick we will take a QB.

I opt for not.

dreasher54
04-10-2009, 06:39 AM
We won't get a qb till the third or fourth in that case i hope it is Grahm Harrel

HorseHead
04-10-2009, 06:40 AM
No more crack for you...look at what it did to Bobby & Whitney...

BowlenBall
04-10-2009, 06:58 AM
All I have to say is....No freakin way! If the Broncos take Freeman at 12, I will videotape myself eating a homeless man's underwear and YouTube it for the world to see.

I'm going to hold you to that, mon frere....

BowlenBall
04-10-2009, 06:59 AM
Wonderful - #30 defense in the league last year, and with our first pick we will take a QB.

I opt for not.

I think everyone's missing the point here.

It's not what I think the Broncos SHOULD do.

It's what I think the Broncos WILL do.

Big difference.

Ray Finkle
04-10-2009, 07:09 AM

Big difference.

so you have a titanic sized hole on defense and trade away your QB to get more picks to fill said hole. Now you expect them to fill those holes by drafting an overrated QB?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-10-2009, 07:12 AM
The Broncos will not take a quarterback in the first round.

I'm gonna go ahead and call it.

cmhargrove
04-10-2009, 07:20 AM
We have an "above average" QB right now. He's bought in 100%. He's won a division title. His former teammates really liked him. Scratch that, we have two of those QB's. Let McD show his "genius" with these two guys.

Fix the defense.

Fix the defense.

Fix the defense.

If you are going to do anything with a first round player on offense, let it be Jeremy Maclin or pick your favorite RB (Moreno or Wells). Those guys could help our "above average" Qb's look pretty good. Otherwise, fix the defense. Pack the D full of top notch competition.

Broncoman13
04-10-2009, 07:25 AM
There is a likely chance that Josh Freeman gets drafted somewhere around #12 to #18... and I would love it if it were at #12 or #18 b/c it would mean we made a nice trade to move down for an extra pick!!! No way he'll be drafted by Denver!

BroncoFiend
04-10-2009, 07:25 AM

Big difference.

This is where you are missing the boat.

Here is what we know:

Washington, who had a higher first round pick, was in heavy pursuit of Cutler.

It was also reported that Orton was a big factor in the trade.

McD seems very loyal to what he knows, and every QB he has worked with were not high round picks

McD also seems to like the system QBs, which Freeman does no seem to be

We need defense bad, and McD did not address many of these needs in FA

Given the above and much more, I say there is ZERO chance of drafting a QB day one.

barryr
04-10-2009, 07:59 AM
I just don't see the Broncos taking a QB in the 1st round. Maybe for Stafford they'd really consider it, but I just don't see it for anyone else.

Just because people think you need a QB doesn't mean you just take one.

Rohirrim
04-10-2009, 08:01 AM
If I had a vomit pic, I would post it here.

oubronco
04-10-2009, 08:01 AM
Expatfan are you crazy

baja
04-10-2009, 08:02 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and call it there will be more I'm gonna go ahead and call it threads before the draft

Paladin
04-10-2009, 08:03 AM

Big difference.

Right. Like a busted crystal ball.

LonghornBronco
04-10-2009, 08:07 AM
No F'in way...

It is more likely McDaniels drafts Rhett Bomar with 3b

Hamrob
04-10-2009, 08:08 AM
I could see us taking Sanchez if he falls to 12 or I could see us trading a 3rd to move up to get Sanchez...the only other thing I think could happen involving a QB to Denver...would be our 2 to Cleveland for Quinn.

loborugger
04-10-2009, 08:09 AM

Big difference.

Well I wont pile on you - other folks are gonna be doing that.

I also wont be jumping off any tall structures or eating homeless folks underwear - succulent! - but I will be gravely disappointed if this team takes a QB in the first round.

cmhargrove
04-10-2009, 08:10 AM

Here you go...

backup qb
04-10-2009, 08:12 AM
No

Hercules Rockefeller
04-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Orton is only a RFA after this season, so #2 doesn't even apply.

baja
04-10-2009, 08:17 AM
If we were going to take a qb we would have waited for Snyder to swap Campbell for a second and taken their 1st 2nd and 3rd along with their 1st next year.

RocBronc
04-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Freeman is the antithesis of the kind of QB that you need to run the New England offense. He has talent but he's not a good fit for our offense at all.

We wouldn't draft Freeman if he was still available in the 2nd round, IMO.

Pony Boy
04-10-2009, 08:29 AM
They obviously don't drug test where you work?:~ohyah!:

want2bAbronco2
04-10-2009, 08:29 AM
Why take him at 12? He might be there at 18, but you can trade a 3rd or 4th and move up to 15 and pick him and get a good D player at 12.

BowlenBall
04-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Orton is only a RFA after this season, so #2 doesn't even apply.

Good call there -- it used to be that a player with 5 years experience (Orton first played in 2005) and making less than $1.1 million (Orton will make $1.05 million this year, I believe) was eligible for unrestricted free agency.

However, a quick google search just showed that they've changed that to six years. So, Orton can receive contract offers next year, but the Broncos will be free to match them. Interesting.

I still feel like Freeman's the player the Broncos are angling for, though. Just seems like a McDaniels thing to do....

vancejohnson82
04-10-2009, 08:41 AM
i would be less surprised if I heard my name announced at #12

BroncoBen
04-10-2009, 08:43 AM
After some long hard reflection, I get the feeling that QB Josh Freeman is going to be the pick at #12, for the following reasons:

This post reminds me of a song:

Because I Got High
I was gonna clean my room until I got high
I was gonna get up and find the broom but then I got high
my room is still messed up and I know why
- cause I got high
cause I got high
cause I got high

Broncojef
04-10-2009, 08:44 AM
I don't think the Broncos would be interested in Freman in the 3rd or 4th rounds. Looks like you are sitting alone on the Freeman bandwagon mate.

BowlenBall
04-10-2009, 08:54 AM
They obviously don't drug test where you work?:~ohyah!:

Wow... I'm getting abused by one of The Outsiders.... definitely a new low point in my life....

http://api.ning.com/files/behbjI98GWou4AVGYqO3vopQtvnVpmd76fBVNK29HxEiNjwWzg W8E3pCDlkpJ8Dln9FuOM1mQkARRguhrfRavRgqSbGDaAk1/outsiders1.jpg

BowlenBall
04-10-2009, 08:57 AM
This post reminds me of a song:

Because I Got Orton
I was gonna win the AFC West until I got Orton
I was gonna challenge for the Superbowl but then I got Orton
Now I'm 32nd in offense and I know why
- cause I got Orton
cause I got Orton
cause I got Orton

FIFY

baja
04-10-2009, 10:12 AM
FIFY

LOL you aregetting more abuse than boob does for this thread.

Guess people want to believe in Orton. I know I do.

SouthStndJunkie
04-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Josh Freeman is one of the most overrated prospects in this draft.

Popps
04-10-2009, 10:22 AM

http://www.lolz.se/fun/Family-Guy-Vomit.gif

Ray Finkle
04-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Good call there -- it used to be that a player with 5 years experience (Orton first played in 2005) and making less than $1.1 million (Orton will make $1.05 million this year, I believe) was eligible for unrestricted free agency.

However, a quick google search just showed that they've changed that to six years. So, Orton can receive contract offers next year, but the Broncos will be free to match them. Interesting.

I still feel like Freeman's the player the Broncos are angling for, though. Just seems like a McDaniels thing to do....

WTF? How would you know this when he has not shown anything yet....

Popps
04-10-2009, 10:24 AM
I definitely agree with the concept that we'll develop a young QB, but would be shocked if that QB is taken anywhere in the first couple of rounds. Right or wrong, I think McDaniels is going to be of the mindset that a middle-round QB can be developed into a quality, system QB.

Broncoman13
04-10-2009, 10:29 AM
I definitely agree with the concept that we'll develop a young QB, but would be shocked if that QB is taken anywhere in the first couple of rounds. Right or wrong, I think McDaniels is going to be of the mindset that a middle-round QB can be developed into a quality, system QB.

Don't be surprised with a QB in the 3rd... possibly the 2nd. Pat White!

baja
04-10-2009, 10:34 AM

ustin (Sandusky, OH): West Virginia running back Steve Slaton has filled out the papers for the NFL draft but has not yet signed with an agent. Do you see Slaton, or Pat White, making the move to the NFL?

Mel Kiper: I wouldn't be surprised with Slaton. He's not going to get any bigger. He's not going to be a featured back. He'll be an accent piece. That's not going to change this year or next year. In terms of White, he's going to play WR at the next level. So he has to decide if he wants to go play WR or if he wants to come back and try to win the Heisman in college.

How glibly Kiper decided that Pat White is going to play wide receiver—not quarterback—in the NFL.

I'm not sure I agree with Mel's assessment of Steve Slaton—but at least it's not wildly wrong, as is his assessment of White.

Pat White is not a wide receiver. Pat White is a quarterback. I don't think I ever fully understood what it means to be a quarterback until I watched Pat White play.

It's easy, and understandable, to focus on size, speed, arm strength, Wunderlich score—all the tangibles.

Kiper's logic is obvious, in fact: Pat White is only 6'1" and 190 pounds. He's too small to play quarterback in the NFL.

But quarterback is as much a mental position as it is a physical one. You have to have great judgment and a quick mind. And you have to be a winner.

Pat White has all those qualities.

There's a reason—beyond WVU's offensive system—that White is an efficient passer who doesn't throw interceptions:

Judgment.

There's a reason that White is Coach Rich Rodriguez's point guard in a complex offense that requires him to make several correct decisions in a mater of a half-second:

His quick mind.

There's a reason that, with White as a starter, WVU is 25-3:

White is a winner.

Consider the games White has essentially won on his own—the Louisville game in 2005, last year's Gator Bowl, this year's Louisville game...the list goes on.

Injured, vomiting, delirious, concussed, whatever—White gets it done.

Critics will say you can't run the spread-option zone-read in the NFL—and that you can't run your franchise player, your quarterback, 15 to 20 times per game on purpose.

Fine.

You don't have to.

White's speed and elusiveness will be just as effective when he's looking downfield to pass.

My final argument is the following: Pat White has all the tools Michael Vick had—he's as fast, he's probably more elusive, and he's got the same arm.

But White also has Tom Brady's head—he's smart, hardworking, analytic, calming, and competitive.

Pat White has never been a wide receiver in college, and he won't be one in the pros. Pat White is a quarterback.

Beyond his arm and his feet—in his head he's a quarterback.

And Mel Kiper's just flat wrong.

Popps
04-10-2009, 10:35 AM

I'd be pretty shocked if White was on our radar, unless it's as some kind of a hybrid, gimmick player. He's a freaky runner, no question... but he doesn't seem to fit the profile of the pocket passers McD has done well with in NE.

What an athlete, though. Is he a better runner than Vick was in college? If not, he's got to be close...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X0YPDFmcp5Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X0YPDFmcp5Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Taco John
04-10-2009, 10:36 AM
I love "go ahead and call" its... :)

DBBBSBS
04-10-2009, 10:37 AM

Big difference.

I am going to go ahead and agree........................

to the fact, you are a moron

SonOfLe-loLang
04-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Josh Freeman is woefully inaccurate...which is what you need to be in the mcdaniels offense. You dont need to be a physical marvel, you need to be smart and decisive. I dot think those are two of Josh's better qualities.

BowlenBall
04-10-2009, 10:41 AM
I'd be pretty shocked if White was on our radar, unless it's as some kind of a hybrid, gimmick player. He's a freaky runner, no question... but he doesn't seem to fit the profile of the pocket passers McD has done well with in NE.

What an athlete, though. Is he a better runner than Vick was in college? If not, he's got to be close...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X0YPDFmcp5Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X0YPDFmcp5Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

We had him in for a private workout...

Inkana7
04-10-2009, 11:00 AM
WVU's passing game is a lot like McDaniels'.

vancejohnson82
04-10-2009, 11:08 AM

Pat White doesnt play within that system though....i dont think McDaniels wants somebody checking down to #3 and then scrambling for 25 seconds...he'd rather have you throw it away

one of the reasons I think he didnt like Cutlers style

randomtask
04-10-2009, 11:17 AM
:saywhat:

no thank you to freeman...

Popps
04-10-2009, 11:18 AM

I'd still be very surprised, but crazier things have happened. He looks like a great runner, if that's what they're looking for.

~Crash~
04-10-2009, 11:38 AM

that is the only QB I want lol I bet we will try some BS like they pulled with cassel and draft a QB that never played ....

I'm going to go ahead and call it

DBBBSBS
04-10-2009, 11:38 AM
I'd still be very surprised, but crazier things have happened. He looks like a great runner, if that's what they're looking for.

exactly, draft him and put him in the back field.. and also have 5 trick plays per game. get him in 4th if he falls that far

footstepsfrom#27
04-10-2009, 11:56 AM

Big difference.
Taking a QB in round one would be tantamount to an admission on the part of little hoodie that he screwed up in trading Cutler, so it's not going to happen. He thinks he can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear so we're stuck with Orton for the forseeable future. The K-State kid has talent...probably the most talent in this draft. He's also considerably farther from being ready than Cutler was as a rookie and that makes him a project. If he were still there in round 2...unlikely...I'd say take him. But this draft will be about defense becaue little hoodie knows he can't win with the crap we have there.

I agree that we need a QB...next year, not this year.

OBF1
04-10-2009, 11:57 AM
45 seconds of my life that I will never get back.

gyldenlove
04-10-2009, 12:00 PM

1) Before the Jay Cutler trade, we all would have placed Kyle Orton somewhere between #20 - #30 in NFL quarterback rankings (even lower if you consider that there are several backups around the league that are better than him). Even Chicago kept trying to replace him with other QBs on the roster, before finally packaging him as a throw-in with two #1s and a #3 pick. He's not a franchise QB, and never will be -- as much as I wish it could be possible.

2) Also, Orton will be a free agent at the end of the 2009 season.

3) On the other hand, Orton does look like a nice, safe caretaker QB who can protect the ball and win 8-10 games while you develop your real #1.

4) The Broncos are picking at #12 -- when you're picking that high, and you need a QB, you usually take one. In addition, the #12 looks like a great position to pick either Sanchez (if he falls to this slot) or Freeman (who will almost definitely be there).

5) However, Sanchez is projected to go to either Seattle at #4, Jacksonville at #8, or San Francisco at #10. Odds are he'll be gone by our pick.

6) At the USC pro day, 30 teams were in attendance. The only two that weren't? Denver and Houston. The only reason we wouldn't have sent a representative (especially in light of all the DEFENSIVE talent at USC) would be to set up a ruse -- i.e., we're very interested in Sanchez, and therefore not attending this huge pro day to throw people off our trail.

7) However, this ruse seems a bit too obvious, doesn't it? Seems to me that the Broncos are trying to make it seem like we're taking Sanchez, so that another team will trade in front of us to take him -- meaning that Freeman will be there when we finally pick.

8) In fact, I think that many teams around the league are higher on Freeman than we realize -- the lack of "buzz" is curious for someone who comes from a large program, has prototypical physical attributes, and great stats.

9. Finally, the drop-off in talent from Freeman to the next QB is amazing -- the next one is projected to go in the 4th round. If we don't get Freeman, there really is no one left on the board.

Northman
04-10-2009, 12:03 PM
So McDaniels was successful with a 6th round Qb and a Qb who hadnt started since High School and yet he is going to draft a 1st round Qb because of why? Especially when he had a first rounder in place? It would make no sense for McD to take a Qb in the first when he's had success with late rounders.

Pony Boy
04-10-2009, 12:11 PM

Belichick has worked out Pat White as a OB/Slot receiver. Pats say it would give them the flexibility to carry 2 QBS on the roster and White as a dual OB/receiver. Not a bad idea but not a 1st round pick.

Mogulseeker
04-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Belichick has worked out Pat White as a OB/Slot receiver. Pats say it would give them the flexibility to carry 2 QBS on the roster and White as a dual OB/receiver. Not a bad idea but not a 1st round pick.

Too true, but I like Freeman. I think he has the biggest upside of all the QBs in the system.

Mogulseeker
04-10-2009, 12:16 PM

Too true, but I like Freeman. I think he has the biggest upside of all the QBs in the draft.

Pick Six
04-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Too true, but I like Freeman. I think he has the biggest upside of all the QBs in the draft.

Freeman was benched for a couple of games last year because he wasn't getting the job done. The only reason that he went pro this year is that he didn't want to learn a new offensive system in his senior year. I already said it in another thread. I think his best chance at an NFL career is to convert him to TE or POSSIBLY wide receiver. He has the physical tools to make it in the NFL, but not as the signal caller...

Malcontent
04-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Have you been drinking??

footstepsfrom#27
04-10-2009, 01:39 PM
So McDaniels was successful with a 6th round Qb and a Qb who hadnt started since High School and yet he is going to draft a 1st round Qb because of why? Especially when he had a first rounder in place? It would make no sense for McD to take a Qb in the first when he's had success with late rounders.
Brady was drafted in 2000 and made the pro bowl in 2001...3 years before little hoodie got him as QB coach.

DBroncos4life
04-10-2009, 04:34 PM
This guy sucks. Lets see he forces throws, makes bad decisions, poor mechanics, doesn't read Ds thats not what we should be looking for in a QB.

MVP-06
04-10-2009, 04:39 PM
I just threw up in my mouth a little

cmhargrove
04-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Here's another one...

Steve Sewell
04-10-2009, 05:05 PM

I heard a draft expert refer to Josh Freeman as "Tony Banks II", and I agree with him. He will be flat out BAD in the NFL.

Rock Chalk
04-10-2009, 05:09 PM

You mean, like Brady and Cassel? Hmm.

cmhargrove
04-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Oh, man. I found the family guy puke-a-thon video that was edited to include Patrick Chukwurah barfing in the Pats game. Instant classic. I miss Chucky, and his barf...

http://www.blinkx.com/video/family-guy-scene-with-patrick-chukwurah-cameo/ia1cRfffF3VSv-jlNv4XKQ

Punisher
04-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Wrong WRONG WRONG

I have a real good feeling the Broncos will take Rhett Bomar out of Sam Houston St. in the 6th round he looks like a QB McDickhole can coach up

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SustQKulJ9o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SustQKulJ9o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

watermock
04-10-2009, 05:41 PM
We should use the #5 we'll get after our 4-12 in '10 season plus a #2 to move up and get Colt or Bradford, but since McDummy thinks he can make chicken salad out of chicken crap, he certainly won't draft a franchise QB in '10.

We don't have a QB or RB yet alone a defense, nore will we have one next year. A 3/4 will require a total rebuild, we have nothing to run that defense.

We will be lucky to win 6 games in the worst division in pro football.

Northman
04-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Brady was drafted in 2000 and made the pro bowl in 2001...3 years before little hoodie got him as QB coach.

Never the less he had success with that same Qb and that was my general point.

baja
04-10-2009, 06:36 PM
McHoodie - I like it!

mhgaffney
04-10-2009, 07:09 PM
This about covers it.

BowlenBall
04-10-2009, 08:53 PM
So... pretty funny that after the grief I've gotten, the best mock drafter in the universe, Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News, agrees with me:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/stories/041109dnspomockdraft.24fa77e.html

"12. Denver Broncos:
Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas State
Without Jay Cutler, the Broncos need a quarterback"

If you don't know who Rick Gosselin is, check this link out...

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/top100rankings.shtml

Then suck it!

footstepsfrom#27
04-10-2009, 09:27 PM
So... pretty funny that after the grief I've gotten, the best mock drafter in the universe, Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News, agrees with me:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/stories/041109dnspomockdraft.24fa77e.html

"12. Denver Broncos:
Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas State
Without Jay Cutler, the Broncos need a quarterback"

If you don't know who Rick Gosselin is, check this link out...

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/top100rankings.shtml

Then suck it!
Gosselin is the best of the bunch of these prognosticators, but he also lists several mocks in the weeks leading up to the draft, and the only one you can ultimately put any stock in is the last one, typically published the day before the draft.

Archer81
04-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Freeman is not the 12th best player in this draft, nor is he the 18th.

:Broncos:

BowlenBall
04-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Gosselin is the best of the bunch of these prognosticators, but he also lists several mocks in the weeks leading up to the draft, and the only one you can ultimately put any stock in is the last one, typically published the day before the draft.

I completely agree with you, but once again let me re-iterate:

There's a chance we might take Josh Freeman at #12 (right or wrong), and those of you who think that it's a huge mistake might want to prepare yourselves emotionally.

Judging from the comments on this thread, I also predict huge numbers of remotes being thrown at TVs on April 26th throughout the Denver area.

baja
04-10-2009, 09:53 PM

There's a chance we might take Josh Freeman at #12 (right or wrong), and those of you who think that it's a huge mistake might want to prepare yourselves emotionally.

Judging from the comments on this thread, I also predict huge numbers of remotes being thrown at TVs on April 26th throughout the Denver area.

April 25th.

Malcontent
04-10-2009, 10:41 PM
No to Bomar too...the guy can't read a playbook, so how could he lead an offense?? Taking one stud Florida QB next year 3rd round would be wayyy better don't you think?

Pick Six
04-11-2009, 12:50 AM

But, that's not what you said. You're predicting that the Freeman pick WILL happen...

BowlenBall
04-11-2009, 01:05 AM
But, that's not what you said. You're predicting that the Freeman pick WILL happen...

From the first line of my original post:

"After some long hard reflection, I get the feeling that QB Josh Freeman is going to be the pick at #12, for the following reasons...."

Now here's the statement that you said was a contradiction:

"There's a chance we might take Josh Freeman at #12 (right or wrong), and those of you who think that it's a huge mistake might want to prepare yourselves emotionally."

??? Are you just trying to get my goat? ??? Or is just your statements + that if-your-face avatar that are pissing me off?

Hulamau
04-11-2009, 02:05 AM
We have an "above average" QB right now. He's bought in 100%. He's won a division title. His former teammates really liked him. Scratch that, we have two of those QB's. Let McD show his "genius" with these two guys.

Fix the defense.

Fix the defense.

Fix the defense.

If you are going to do anything with a first round player on offense, let it be Jeremy Maclin or pick your favorite RB (Moreno or Wells). Those guys could help our "above average" Qb's look pretty good. Otherwise, fix the defense. Pack the D full of top notch competition.

Agreed

Hulamau
04-11-2009, 02:07 AM
April 25th.

No doubt, Freeman may make a great QB with McD teaching him ( at some point), but so might Orton, Simms (now) or some 4th round sleeper.

A solid running back in the first three picks wouldn't surprise me a bit. I have a feeling McD is genuinely excited about blending the best of Denver's zone blocking/Bobby Turner magic within his game planning and that we might use more running plays than NE has of late. Also its been a while, (Portis) since Bobby has had a real player at RB to work with.

Could take a huge amount of pressure off both Orton ( or ........?) and our defense, and improve our red zone performance tremendously. Last two years EVERYONE knew we were going to pass inside the 20s.

ZONA
04-11-2009, 03:21 AM
McDaniels could have taken a higher draft pick from Washington. He obviously thought highly of Kyle Orton.

We won't take a QB no earlier than the 3rd round.

Thank you. People, don't try to over analyze this. There is no smoke screen here. We didn't go to USC probably because we're not taking Sanchez. If anything, I think the smoke screen would be for one of the LB's. McD took the deal that had Orton rather then the 3rd round pick because he wanted Orton, not Freeman, Sanchez or Stafford. He's gonna see what Orton can do and he has plenty of ammo to get Bradford next year if he so chooses.

elsid13
04-11-2009, 05:11 AM

Huh???

WVU plays an option spread nothing like the EP system that McDaniels' runs. Just because it spread doesn't mean it likes any other spread offense. White is not a NFL QB, he can not make that deep out throw, has never been asked to throw from the pocket and will have trouble seeing over lineman. Add it the fact that he never plays under center and will have trouble learning to effective turn his back on PA, it not a pro QB.

When White was brought in to Denver he only ran WR drills.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-11-2009, 06:24 AM

"After some long hard reflection, I get the feeling that QB Josh Freeman is going to be the pick at #12, for the following reasons...."

"There's a chance we might take Josh Freeman at #12 (right or wrong), and those of you who think that it's a huge mistake might want to prepare yourselves emotionally."

??? Are you just trying to get my goat? ??? Or is just your statements + that if-your-face avatar that are pissing me off?

Thanks for the clarification. Just for the record, can you please re-post the TITLE OF THE ****ING THREAD?

:thanku:

Case closed.

"Go ahead and call it" is not "have a feeling" or "there's a chance."

BowlenBall
04-11-2009, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the clarification. Just for the record, can you please re-post the TITLE OF THE ****ING THREAD?

:thanku:

Case closed.

"Go ahead and call it" is not "have a feeling" or "there's a chance."

Funny... your comment didn't piss me off nearly as much...

Maybe "annoying comments" + "really cool avatar" isn't so aggravating. (Big Kevin Smith fan)

As for the title of the thread -- it all depends on what your definition of 'is', is. (sorry, I couldn't resist)

Crashman44b
04-11-2009, 07:34 AM

Your being pretty broad with everything you say so I will help you.......

The Broncos will pick.....

a player with the 12th overall selction in the NFL Draft. Now you are right unless they trade it. Give it up. Orton is the guy and lets face it. Winning record as a starter and I'll take it. He is another Jake Plummer, maybe better. Orton has been benched before and didnt b**** and complain. If only every NFL player was like Orton. I'm ready to give Orton a chance because he plays for MY TEAM " THE BRONCOS". You want dirt on Freeman? I know the reason he went to K-State and it wasnt because of Ron Princess, I mean Prince.

Inkana7
04-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Huh???

WVU plays an option spread nothing like the EP system that McDaniels' runs. Just because it spread doesn't mean it likes any other spread offense. White is not a NFL QB, he can not make that deep out throw, has never been asked to throw from the pocket and will have trouble seeing over lineman. Add it the fact that he never plays under center and will have trouble learning to effective turn his back on PA, it not a pro QB.

When White was brought in to Denver he only ran WR drills.

Did you miss the part where I said their PASSING attack was like McDaniels? A lot of short screen plays, seam routes, etc.

elsid13
04-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Did you miss the part where I said their PASSING attack was like McDaniels? A lot of short screen plays, seam routes, etc.

WVU passing attacking isn't thing close to similar. WVU is very simple one read and run attack. With most of the pass based upon fake pitch and moving the QB to one side of the field. Yes, they run screens and some seam routes (all passing offense do) but at no time are there any pro style throws in WVU game plan.

footstepsfrom#27
04-11-2009, 11:20 AM
If you'd asked me 3 months ago if the new coach would trade the franchise for a couple of late first round draft picks and pay a million dollar contract to a long snapper I'd have laughed out loud.

Nothing's impossible.

That said...drafting a QB in round 1...especially one a lot of people think is similar to Cutler...would be an admission that a collosal mistake was made. Does this guy seem like his ego is going to allow that?

Freeman would be fine in the 2nd if he lasts that long...I doubt he will. If we take a QB it will be next year, but more than likely we'll muddle along trying to make Orton into Unitas just to prove a point.

This draft should be about defense, specifically the line.

DBBBSBS
04-11-2009, 01:25 PM
If you'd asked me 3 months ago if the new coach would trade the franchise for a couple of late first round draft picks and pay a million dollar contract to a long snapper I'd have laughed out loud.

Nothing's impossible.

That said...drafting a QB in round 1...especially one a lot of people think is similar to Cutler...would be an admission that a collosal mistake was made. Does this guy seem like his ego is going to allow that?

Freeman would be fine in the 2nd if he lasts that long...I doubt he will. If we take a QB it will be next year, but more than likely we'll muddle along trying to make Orton into Unitas just to prove a point.

This draft should be about defense, specifically the line.

though you still have that sarcasam.. atleast youo talked some sense finally

ZachKC
04-11-2009, 01:26 PM
They will never do it.

Which is a shame because it would be funny as all hell.

Tombstone RJ
04-11-2009, 03:15 PM
No way Freeman is drafted by the Broncos. If McD is as stubborn as Shanny, he'll spurn first round talent to prove a point.

epicSocialism4tw
04-11-2009, 03:28 PM
I like Freeman alot (probably his biggest advocate on this site), but if we neglect to invest heavily in our defense with this draft then there should be some really ticked off Broncos fans.

Pick Six
04-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Your being pretty broad with everything you say so I will help you.......

The Broncos will pick.....

a player with the 12th overall selction in the NFL Draft. Now you are right unless they trade it. Give it up. Orton is the guy and lets face it. Winning record as a starter and I'll take it. He is another Jake Plummer, maybe better. Orton has been benched before and didnt b**** and complain. If only every NFL player was like Orton. I'm ready to give Orton a chance because he plays for MY TEAM " THE BRONCOS". You want dirt on Freeman? I know the reason he went to K-State and it wasnt because of Ron Princess, I mean Prince.

That's absolutely correct. Freeman originally committed to Nebraska, but Prince told him that he was going to be the starter...

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Funny... your comment didn't piss me off nearly as much...

Maybe "annoying comments" + "really cool avatar" isn't so aggravating. (Big Kevin Smith fan)

As for the title of the thread -- it all depends on what your definition of 'is', is. (sorry, I couldn't resist)

Oh, just a terrific rebuttal.

/rolleyes

DBroncos4life
04-12-2009, 03:34 AM
he ****ing blows.

DBroncos4life
04-12-2009, 03:43 AM
He is the worst QB that has been linked to the first round since Ryan Leaf. Which sucks for Leaf because he was atleast talented.