PDA

View Full Version : With all the FA signings, where do we really go in the draft??

phillybroncosnut
04-09-2009, 07:41 PM
I've been trying to think about the upcoming draft and what direction we might go. We've signed 2 Saftey's (Dawk and Hill), a CB (Goodman), 3 RB's (Buck, Arrington, and Jordan), a backup QB (Simms), an ILB (Davis), 4 DT's (Fields, Parker, Peterson, and Reid), a WR (Gaffney), a TE (Putzier), a G (Young) and a LS (Paxton).

The defensive Players, for the most part are probably starters (Dawk, Hill, Goodman, Davis, and maybe Parker). Alot of people think QB is a must. I don't. I think Orton will play great in this system. Not 4800 yards and 35 TD's great, but more like Kerry Collins/Trent Dilfer, just win great. I don't think QB is a must.

With all the moves we've made, I think the weakest position on the roster is YET AGAIN..... DE. With Doom and Moss moving to LB, Defensive end is way more importnat then LB. This is juat my assumtion. I'm by no means a draft guru but I know all the projected 1st and 2nd rounders pretty well.

If Sanchez or Raji slip to 12, I think we have to take one of them. I'm a believer in drafting the best available over need, especially when you are not very close to a SB contender. That said, I think we HAVE to get a DE at 18.

Thoughts...??

Br0nc0Buster
04-09-2009, 07:46 PM
I've been trying to think about the upcoming draft and what direction we might go. We've signed 2 Saftey's (Dawk and Hill), a CB (Goodman), 3 RB's (Buck, Arrington, and Jordan), a backup QB (Simms), an ILB (Davis), 4 DT's (Fields, Parker, Peterson, and Reid), a WR (Gaffney), a TE (Putzier), a G (Young) and a LS (Paxton).

The defensive Players, for the most part are probably starters (Dawk, Hill, Goodman, Davis, and maybe Parker). Alot of people think QB is a must. I don't. I think Orton will play great in this system. Not 4800 yards and 35 TD's great, but more like Kerry Collins/Trent Dilfer, just win great. I don't think QB is a must.

With all the moves we've made, I think the weakest position on the roster is YET AGAIN..... DE. With Doom and Moss moving to LB, Defensive end is way more importnat then LB. This is juat my assumtion. I'm by no means a draft guru but I know all the projected 1st and 2nd rounders pretty well.

If Sanchez or Raji slip to 12, I think we have to take one of them. I'm a believer in drafting the best available over need, especially when you are not very close to a SB contender. That said, I think we HAVE to get a DE at 18.

Thoughts...??

The only problem with your theory is that Raji wont be there at 12, and Sanchez is going to be a bust. I really dont want anything to do with Sanchez

We are going to go hard on the Dline, the Pats starting Dline are all first rounders I think.

I am hoping for like Tyson Jackson with the #12, and like Robert Ayers with the #18.
That would help a lot.

Outside of Tyson though, I am not sure there is a ton of value for the line this year in the first, which is why we gotta get Tyson with our first pick

phillybroncosnut
04-09-2009, 08:03 PM
The only problem with your theory is that Raji wont be there at 12, and Sanchez is going to be a bust. I really dont want anything to do with Sanchez

We are going to go hard on the Dline, the Pats starting Dline are all first rounders I think.

I am hoping for like Tyson Jackson with the #12, and like Robert Ayers with the #18.
That would help a lot.

Outside of Tyson though, I am not sure there is a ton of value for the line this year in the first, which is why we gotta get Tyson with our first pick

I agree about Raji.... We woulda had a better shot if the positivie drug tests were true. Sanchez, I don't know. I'm far from sold on him. Especially since he only played 1 season. The only problem is, most "experts" are saying Sanchez is a perfect fit for what McDaniels wants to do (spread offense). If he's there at 12, it might be a must pick. Will Tyson Jackson last to 18? And is Jackson the only true, 1st round DE in the first round?

NFLBRONCO
04-09-2009, 08:07 PM

That would help a lot.

Do you see Ayers as a 3-4 DE?

Br0nc0Buster
04-09-2009, 08:13 PM
I agree about Raji.... We woulda had a better shot if the positivie drug tests were true. Sanchez, I don't know. I'm far from sold on him. Especially since he only played 1 season. The only problem is, most "experts" are saying Sanchez is a perfect fit for what McDaniels wants to do (spread offense). If he's there at 12, it might be a must pick. Will Tyson Jackson last to 18? And is Jackson the only true, 1st round DE in the first round?

Oh I think McDaniels can find other guys who are smart with the ball and accurate besides Sanchez. I think he wanted Orton for a reason, and that wasnt just to be a backup. Plus I dont think Sanchez would be the best player at 12, qbs who leave early seem to have a high bust rate, then add in how successful(or in this case, how unsuccessful) USC offensive players have been lately, and well he scares me.

Most mocks I have seen dont have Jackson lasting until 18, but it is possible.
Outside of him though I am not aware of any 3-4 DEs that would work in our 2 gap system worthy of a first round grade.

I dont think Peria would fit.

I just look at the Pats roster to see what McDaniels might be thinking.
They put a premium on linemen, so I anticipate him to do the same

BroncoBuff
04-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Nose tackle ... our defense reeks, and NT is where you start to build your 3-4 defense.

Doesn't HAVE to be Raji, though .... I like Ron Brace too.

Br0nc0Buster
04-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Do you see Ayers as a 3-4 DE?

I see him as an outside linebacker.
Kind of like an Adelius(?) Thomas.
He is a versatile player who can put his hand in the dirt, but also can drop back and cover.

ludo21
04-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Ayers can drop back and cover?

Ayers to me is a 4/3 DE, thats it. I hope we dont waste a pick on him at all unless we are planning to mix our schemes up, but even then I dont like kind of pick in the first round.

BroncoBuff
04-09-2009, 08:28 PM
I see him as an outside linebacker.
Kind of like an Adelius(?) Thomas.
He is a versatile player who can put his hand in the dirt, but also can drop back and cover.

I think we're all underrating Josh's appreciation of Elvis ... from their first meeting together right up to the first depth chart released, there is every indication he is pencilled in at one of the OLB spots.

Ayers is an exciting player, but a tweener in the 3-4.

Br0nc0Buster
04-09-2009, 08:36 PM
I think we're all underrating Josh's appreciation of Elvis ... from their first meeting together right up to the first depth chart released, there is every indication he is pencilled in at one of the OLB spots.

Ayers is an exciting player, but a tweener in the 3-4.

Well even if we assume Elvis will start at one spot, that still leaves us with a need for another starting OLB

Archer81
04-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Who knows. Wait and see.

:Broncos:

lazarus4444
04-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Isn't boss bailey going to start at the other OLB?

phillybroncosnut
04-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Nose tackle ... our defense reeks, and NT is where you start to build your 3-4 defense.

Doesn't HAVE to be Raji, though .... I like Ron Brace too.

What about Parker? We signed him for a reason. His size alone (6'4" 325) speaks NT all day. Fields isnt a shrimp eother... 6'2" 315. Why did we sign these guys? Camp competition? Depth?

phillybroncosnut
04-09-2009, 08:53 PM

Doom, DJ, Davis, and ?? ?? Boss? Moss? Rookie?

DBBBSBS
04-09-2009, 08:58 PM
I want to see sanchez dropping to #12. Not for broncos to get him.. but for others to come up and trade. Esp if washington can pick up a QB, at 13... i want jets, tampa and detroit to come calling our number. But i am guessing they will all be calling buffalo at #11 assuming denver might take him at 12. which would be a shame.

But the best scenario of this whole draft is if lions take jason and st. louis follows up and takes eugene. then seattle will for sure take stafford.. making sanchez hot and if jax and sfo passes.. either buffalo or denver are in for a trade back possibility.

Br0nc0Buster
04-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Ayers can drop back and cover?

Ayers to me is a 4/3 DE, thats it. I hope we dont waste a pick on him at all unless we are planning to mix our schemes up, but even then I dont like kind of pick in the first round.

McDaniels likes size.
The Patriots didnt always have the fastests backers, look at Vrabel.

Im sure McDaniels is looking for smart, instinctive, big front seven players.

barryr
04-10-2009, 06:57 AM
It would seem they will go DL and LB in the draft. At least that's where I think they need to look at.

If they can get a RB who could be the main guy in a year or two, that would be great too.

Another CB or depth would be nice.

tsiguy96
04-10-2009, 07:10 AM
mcdaniels did great this offseason, signed enough defensive players to field an entire roster so we can go BPA on defense in the draft.

oubronco
04-10-2009, 07:18 AM

:~ohyah!: what makes you think he can play more than a couple of games a year