PDA

View Full Version : Sanchez rumors?

DrFate
04-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Cutler is gone. Hoodie Jr. is calling the shots.

Here is my question for the team. A number of outlets are speculating that the Broncos want Sanchez.

This doesn't make sense to me from a couple of perspectives. First, the Patriots way is to trade down, not up. Second, if the outcome of this entire fiasco is to turn Cutler into a rookie QB - that seems like a bad idea for the continued employment of said Hoodie Jr.

Finally, the defense remains the prime problem here.

So - does anyone really think Sanchez is an option? If so, how does that make sense?

spdirty
04-09-2009, 06:41 PM
I say you go with the guy you traded Cutler away for, and we see how he does if he wins the job in the first place. If he isn't the reincarnation of Drew Brees, you go quarterback next year, where the class is suppose to be better.

footstepsfrom#27
04-09-2009, 06:41 PM

Here is my question for the team. A number of outlets are speculating that the Broncos want Sanchez.

This doesn't make sense to me from a couple of perspectives. First, the Patriots way is to trade down, not up. Second, if the outcome of this entire fiasco is to turn Cutler into a rookie QB - that seems like a bad idea for the continued employment of said Hoodie Jr.

So - does anyone really think Sanchez is an option? If so, how does that make sense?
Pats can trade down and still find players. Can we? Nobody knows.

Sanchez does nothing for me.

razorwire77
04-09-2009, 06:56 PM
I just don't see it. Maybe if Sanchez is hanging around at 9 they make a slight move, but even then. Why not just see how this year plays out with Orton/Simms? Worst case Denver gets a top 8 pick next year if the team sucks, and best case they get a top 10 for the Bears pick if Chicago implodes (although that seems pretty unlikely). Either way, chances are good that with multiple 1st rounders 2010, there will be a better QB prospect they could get.

Br0nc0Buster
04-09-2009, 06:57 PM
I say you go with the guy you traded Cutler away for, and we see how he does if he wins the job in the first place. If he isn't the reincarnation of Drew Brees, you go quarterback next year, where the class is suppose to be better.

this
It makes no sense to spend a high pick on a qb, especially when this year's crop is garbage

tsiguy96
04-09-2009, 07:06 PM
actually, the pats dont necessarily trade down, they pick a guy they want and who can fit there system and dont care if they reach to take him. like meyo. picked him like 10 overall when he wasnt projected to go til late 1st.

DBroncos4life
04-09-2009, 07:09 PM
I think you draft him and let him sit and learn for a year.

baja
04-09-2009, 07:12 PM
We gave up a trade with Washington which was their pick #13 a 2nd rd and a 3rd rd this year and their 1st in 2010 (Likely higher than Bears) to get Orton so no qb this year most likely. I hope!

scorpio
04-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Pats can trade down and still find players. Can we? Nobody knows.

Sanchez does nothing for me.

Can they really? This is a serious question. These are the players that I can think of, drafted after the 2nd round since 2003, that have made any difference at all for the Pats. An average of less than one decent/good player per year.

Steven Gostkowski
Ellis Hobbes
Matt Cassel
Asante Samuel

P.S. I do NOT want the Broncos to draft Sanchez or any other early-round QB this year.

baja
04-09-2009, 07:15 PM
I just don't see it. Maybe if Sanchez is hanging around at 9 they make a slight move, but even then. Why not just see how this year plays out with Orton/Simms? Worst case Denver gets a top 8 pick next year if the team sucks, and best case they get a top 10 for the Bears pick if Chicago implodes (although that seems pretty unlikely). Either way, chances are good that with multiple 1st rounders 2010, there will be a better QB prospect they could get.

I wouldn't take him at 12.

Popcorn Sutton
04-09-2009, 07:23 PM
actually, the pats dont necessarily trade down, they pick a guy they want and who can fit there system and dont care if they reach to take him. like meyo. picked him like 10 overall when he wasnt projected to go til late 1st.

They traded down from 7 to 10 to pick Mayo... just saying.

TheDave
04-09-2009, 07:31 PM
If you take a QB in the first round then you've basically traded Cutler for 2 1st rounders...

IMO that make a crappy trade just that much worse.

According to most people this kid is a QB guru who can make talentless hacks like Cassel into studs... Let see what he can do with Orton/Simms before we grab another QB.

OBF1
04-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Great, Now that Cutler is gone, We are going to have daily Sanchez threads.

baja
04-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Like every year I hope we get a team panicked to have our 12 spot a lower 1 and a second.

Borks147
04-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Like every year I hope we get a team panicked to have our 12 spot a lower 1 and a second.

The thing is that we don't need a stockpile of picks, if anything we have too many as is. The team is young, they just need talent as some positions.

Kaylore
04-09-2009, 08:28 PM

This is the most logical choice. I still haven't read any remotely logical reason for why we'd be interested in Sanchez. We didn't attend the USC pro-day at all (which I love because of how many busts they have), McDaniels took a lower draft pick because he liked Orton more than the other offers and there is no history whereby you can assume we would take Sanchez. The closest thing I've read is on a mock draft blog there was a comment that "McDaniels likes USC quarterbacks," presumably because he worked with Cassel. Fallacious.

The one thing I do know is that we've worked out a number of quarterbacks this year and none of them were named Sanchez or Stafford. I think next year will be a much better draft for quarterbacks and probably be better overall in a lot of other areas.

ZONA
04-09-2009, 08:47 PM
The thing is that we don't need a stockpile of picks, if anything we have too many as is. The team is young, they just need talent as some positions.

The old saying goes you can never have too many picks. But you would prefer to have picks spread over a few years, just like the Broncos did. If we say traded #12 and moved down to #16 then I would expect the Broncos would take a 2nd rounder for that in 2009 or they could get a 2nd rounder and 3rd rounder in 2010. To me, that's more logical. Yes, we are piling up the picks but it's never a bad thing to start acquiring more picks for the following year.

BroncoBuff
04-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Mark Sanchez in the first round would be the heighth of irresponsibility for the stewards of this roster. Our defense reeks to the stars above, and we're still missing important pieces of the 3-4 depth chart puzzle.

I can't believe we're even discussing such a silly thing.

in threads! It's just too classic ... and I'm dropping all the
Jay-Josh stuff by draft week, in 9 days.

Hamrob
04-09-2009, 09:36 PM
If Sanchez is there at 12 you take him.

What you don't do...is trade the 12 & 18 to go get him.

You could trade a 3rd to go up and get him...but not #18...at least in that scenario you would get Sanchez, Orton, and a 1 in 2010 for cutler and a 5th. You could easily negate the 5th for Orton and then it would be Sanchez and a #1 in 2010 for Cutler. At least that sounds somewhat sensible.

I really think they need to get either get Rajii or Jackson with #12 and Cushing/malaluga with 18 for this to be a success for our Broncos. Take the guys who are sure bets on Defense and you might just make this work out. Take any reaches and you are done...as in crispy critter!

DBBBSBS
04-09-2009, 09:40 PM
We gave up a trade with Washington which was their pick #13 a 2nd rd and a 3rd rd this year and their 1st in 2010 (Likely higher than Bears) to get Orton so no qb this year most likely. I hope!

where was the link for such a proposal ? can you send me the link. And washington did not have a 2nd and there was no team lined up for campbell.. so can you shed light on your statement

DBBBSBS
04-09-2009, 09:43 PM

Haven't the broncos been that team that panicked and moved up in the last 3-4 yrs. For Cutler we did and so did we for Moss. One was a boom and other one was a bust. So you say as though some other team does it.. when it is we who were one of the team who did that stupidity.

lazarus4444
Just say NO to first round offensive players! Defense all the way!

OrangeRising
Hamrob - "If Sanchez is there at 12 you take him."

Agree.

If both Raji and Sanchez were still on the boards at 12, I'd take Raji and thank the draft gods he slipped that far, but if Raji is gone, which is far more likely, Sanchez is an honest option. He's going to need a lot of seasoning anyway, so the depth chart will remain with Orton and Simms at 1-2.

BroncoMan4ever
04-09-2009, 10:27 PM

if he falls to 12 i could see McDaniels pulling the trigger on him, but i seriously doubt we would move up to get him. although this entire offseason has been crazy so who knows?

SonOfLe-loLang
04-09-2009, 11:26 PM
If Sanchez is there at 12 you take him.

What you don't do...is trade the 12 & 18 to go get him.

You could trade a 3rd to go up and get him...but not #18...at least in that scenario you would get Sanchez, Orton, and a 1 in 2010 for cutler and a 5th. You could easily negate the 5th for Orton and then it would be Sanchez and a #1 in 2010 for Cutler. At least that sounds somewhat sensible.

I really think they need to get either get Rajii or Jackson with #12 and Cushing/malaluga with 18 for this to be a success for our Broncos. Take the guys who are sure bets on Defense and you might just make this work out. Take any reaches and you are done...as in crispy critter!

Why do you take him? Is he suddenly some cant miss prospect? If we have a QB we like, explain to me why you even think about taking him or TRADING UP to take him.

baja
04-10-2009, 12:16 AM
where was the link for such a proposal ? can you send me the link. And washington did not have a 2nd and there was no team lined up for campbell.. so can you shed light on your statement
First no link

Check it out.

We Know:

Snyder was frantically shopping Campbell for a 2nd because he wanted Cutler and Denver did not want Campbell but would take a 2nd other wise why shop campbell.

That the stated beginning price for Cutler was 2 first round picks.

We know the Chicago offer and Washington had to beat that and they must have felt they could swing it with the second they would get for Campbell other wise they wouldn't even try.

That is also revealing in another way, it says McD wanted Orton more that Campbell and +5 spots at 13 and likely a better 1 next year.

We also know he values Orton higher that a high/mid second and +5 spots in 1st this year.

So we can expect no QB with a first round pick (maybe next year if Orton doesn't pan out).

We also know McD specially targeted Orton because he thought he can be our starting QB for now and the future and if he is right we made a hell of a trade (picks pending)

So the other thing we know is McD is 'all in' with his bet on Orton (or Simms ). If one of them is not at least adequate than his first gig could be a short one.

Broncojef
04-10-2009, 12:24 AM
I wouldn't take Sanchez at 18, go with Orton and draft some young defensive studs...Raji, Maualuga, Jackson...whatever you like just start filling in the Defensive front 7 we've complained about for the last decade. Josh seems to be steering the ship in a good direction, follow through and get the D we've needed for so long.

Hulamau
04-10-2009, 12:39 AM

That's my thinking as well, though I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't take a shot on a 3rd round QB ( or later) that he likes and feel he can coach up with a year on the bench, ala Brady & Cassel, as a added insurance and to be well ahead of the game in case Orton/Simms doesn't pan out or gets injured.

In fact, I'll be surprised if he doesn't do that, as we have to fill one more QB spot in any event. I seriously doubt he's going into his first season without an established franchise guy with only two QB on the roster.

Taco John
04-10-2009, 12:54 AM
McDaniels won't have a friend in Denver if he were to package any of our first round picks to move up to select Sanchez. I think his mom might even hate him if he pulled a stupid move like that.

Come on. Let's give the guy more credit than this. I know a lot of people are adamant that the guy is some sort of dunce, but he didn't get to be a head coach at 32 because of a lack of grey matter.

Just ignore these rumors...

DBBBSBS
04-10-2009, 01:11 AM
McDaniels won't have a friend in Denver if he were to package any of our first round picks to move up to select Sanchez. I think his mom might even hate him if he pulled a stupid move like that.

Come on. Let's give the guy more credit than this. I know a lot of people are adamant that the guy is some sort of dunce, but he didn't get to be a head coach at 32 because of a lack of grey matter.

well said. that is the reason the thread title also says rumor. learn to ignore some rumors..

BroncoMan4ever
04-10-2009, 02:56 AM

agree completely. no way in hell do we draft a QB in the 1st. if we made sure we got Orton in the Cutler deal, that means McDaniels sees him as a guy he can make into another Cassell or Brady type. I say he spends the year working with Orton and decides if he wants to sign him up long term after this season, because Orton only has 1 more year on his current deal.

although i will be shocked if we don't get a late round project QB for depth and for being a possible replacement starter down the line.

ShutDownPoster
04-10-2009, 04:11 AM
We don't need no stinkin' Dirty Sanchez

chrisp
04-10-2009, 04:31 AM
I think we have to expect a LOT of 'rumours' about us taking a QB, but I honestly think that's just lazy journalism, or maybe just a teeny-weeny bit of FO smokescreen (surely not....?).

We will almost definitely select a QB but only in the later rounds - probably in round 7 where for some reason most QBs who don't go on the first day seem to end up....

I cannot believe that McD will have sanctioned this trade without making sure he had a QB he believed in, so I am far more inclined to believe the rumours that he sees Orton as the genuine starter than the rumours that we're going to go after Sanchez.

But as I've said elsewhere I WILL ditch my lifelong habit of positivity and throw myself full-throttle into the Omane meltdown if we go QB in the 1st. It means that either McD doesn't believe in Orton (in which case we're screwed) or that he does believe in Orton but has the same drunk-sailor temperament with a surfeit of draft picks that Shanny sometimes had (in which case we're screwed).

Basically I will be very surprised if we do not come out of draft-day with most of our 1st-day and all of our 1st round picks having gone on defense......

barryr
04-10-2009, 08:05 AM
I would not be happy if the Broncos first pick was a QB. With the needs on defense, DL and LB especially, you don't go QB, especially one who did not start many games in college.

The NFL draft has been full of bust QB's and most of them were ones that did not start many games in college.

It seems the QB's who do the best, the ones that are drafted highly at least, are the ones who played quite a bit in college. Matt Ryan being a perfect example.

Paladin
04-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Mark Sanchez in the first round would be the heighth of irresponsibility for the stewards of this roster. Our defense reeks to the stars above, and we're still missing important pieces of the 3-4 depth chart puzzle.

I can't believe we're even discussing such a silly thing.

in threads! It's just too classic ... and I'm dropping all the
Jay-Josh stuff by draft week, in 9 days.

How is it "Classic?" It's just stupid to me.

Time to move on.....

oubronco
04-10-2009, 08:13 AM

I agree but he better have a real good draft or he's gonna be on everyone's shyt list and he doesn't have to move up and get sanchez for me to hate him

Hamrob
04-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Why do you take him? Is he suddenly some cant miss prospect? If we have a QB we like, explain to me why you even think about taking him or TRADING UP to take him.Because he has all the tools and he's smart and would fit McDaniels system well for one.

Secondly, we just lost a franchize QB and there isn't another on the roster...Sanchez has that potential.

Lastly, because you want the fans to have something to get excited about after you just traded their John Wayne.

Whether I agree with all of those reasons is another story...but I think that is why you consider it. Trading up might be a stretch...unless McDaniels really wants him...what I don't want them to do is give up the 12 & 18 to do it. If they just have to have him...then give up a 3 to move up.

But, if he's at 12...I just don't think they pass on him...unless they trade a 2 or a 3 for Quinn.

Rohirrim
04-10-2009, 08:18 AM
I like Sanchez, but I don't see it happening. If he and Freeman are on the board at 12 it might give the Broncos the chance to lay in some more good picks and trade down, but I'm assuming McD will go with Orton/Simms this season and revisit the QB position next year (if he has to).

Lzray
04-10-2009, 09:15 AM

I agree 100% u have to go with one of the guys u brung in. next years qb class will b alot better. i say we trade down get more picks. just a thought.
thanks for the time

lzray

DrFate
04-10-2009, 09:30 AM
well said. that is the reason the thread title also says rumor. learn to ignore some rumors..

I agree with Taco's comment. I don't find it likely either.

But I started the thread becuase a number of different outlets are speculating it, a number of mock drafts, etc. Maybe it is another case of follow the leader.

Inkana7
04-10-2009, 09:33 AM

As evident in their trade up to get Jerod Mayo.

baja
04-10-2009, 09:41 AM
I like Sanchez, but I don't see it happening. If he and Freeman are on the board at 12 it might give the Broncos the chance to lay in some more good picks and trade down, but I'm assuming McD will go with Orton/Simms this season and revisit the QB position next year (if he has to).

This is what I am hoping for and I also hope we pass on Raji , Have you seen his body?

Tombstone RJ
04-10-2009, 10:12 AM
This is the most logical choice. I still haven't read any remotely logical reason for why we'd be interested in Sanchez. We didn't attend the USC pro-day at all (which I love because of how many busts they have), McDaniels took a lower draft pick because he liked Orton more than the other offers and there is no history whereby you can assume we would take Sanchez. The closest thing I've read is on a mock draft blog there was a comment that "McDaniels likes USC quarterbacks," presumably because he worked with Cassel. Fallacious.

The one thing I do know is that we've worked out a number of quarterbacks this year and none of them were named Sanchez or Stafford. I think next year will be a much better draft for quarterbacks and probably be better overall in a lot of other areas.

Yep.

It just does not make any kind of logical sense to take Sanchez in the first round. None.

That being said, I do think the Broncos take a QB, but on the second day in rounds 4-7. The reasoning behind this is simple:

1. McD likes to groom talent ala Cassel and Brady, neither of those QBs were taken in the first round.

2. McD has two prototype QBs already on the team, both with experience, both ready to compete for the starting spot.

3. Why on earth do you trade Cutler if you are just gonna draft a QB in the first round? To give up a proven first round QB for an unproven first round QB is a huge risk, and one that could blow up in your face.

4. Taking a QB on the second day is good for the team because the Broncos are loaded with picks. Take a second day guy, see if he can eventually be the man. If he does not pan out, so what?

IMHO, McD's modus operandum is to groom a late round QB. He like Orton, he thinks he can work with Orton and he's got another guy in Simms who he thinks can compete also.

Perhaps McD is totally wrong about these guys. But both Orton and Simms have NFL experience and McD can evaluate each QB's strengths and weaknesses against NFL competition. That right there tips the scale heavily into Orton/Simms favor. Sanchez, Stafford and Freeman don't have this experience and I don't care what Mayock says about them, they all at best, are a 50/50 gamble.

Beej
04-10-2009, 10:38 AM
I doubt Big Mac drafts Sanchez, because that would hurt Kyle's feelings.

Rohirrim
04-10-2009, 11:19 AM
This is what I am hoping for and I also hope we pass on Raji , Have you seen his body?

The questions about Raji have more to do with his head than his body. When he wants to bring it, he's a load. Does he take plays off? Yes. Has he had some coachability issues? Yes. Eligibility issues? Yes. Shoulder injury in his past. Rumors of drug use which seem to be unsubstantiated so far. A pretty good chunk of money for somebody with those kinds of questions. I just hope the Broncos do their due diligence and make the right decision. We really can't afford a bust at that 12 pick.

DBBBSBS
04-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Because he has all the tools and he's smart and would fit McDaniels system well for one.

Secondly, we just lost a franchize QB and there isn't another on the roster...Sanchez has that potential.

But, if he's at 12...I just don't think they pass on him...unless they trade a 2 or a 3 for Quinn.

Can you tell me or explain me what are all these tools that you found... really pls tell me what tools are we talking about ? I keep hearing this again and again, what tools did you find when you went ahead and did your evaluation ? Pls Pls.. I am waiting to hear this

~Crash~
04-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Tim Tebo next year if orton cannot make the grade /~0

DBBBSBS
04-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Tim Tebo next year if orton cannot make the grade /~0

no to tebow

Rabb
04-10-2009, 12:05 PM
I really will go into meltdown mode if we draft a QB with any day one pick

DBBBSBS
04-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Because he has all the tools and he's smart and would fit McDaniels system well for one.

Lastly, because you want the fans to have something to get excited about after you just traded their John Wayne.

Whether I agree with all of those reasons is another story...but I think that is why you consider it. Trading up might be a stretch...unless McDaniels really wants him...what I don't want them to do is give up the 12 & 18 to do it. If they just have to have him...then give up a 3 to move up.

still waiting to hear from you about those tools

rastaman
04-10-2009, 12:21 PM
I agree 100% u have to go with one of the guys u brung in. next years qb class will b alot better. i say we trade down get more picks. just a thought.
thanks for the time

lzray

I think McD views Orton as a two to three year stop gap to allow the drafting and development of another Franchise QB. I expect McD is thinking he's got 2 or 3 years to find another Brady or Cassel....not a bad move if you have an owner who will give 5 to 7 years to get to the SB. And Bowlen is that type of owner.

summerdenver
04-10-2009, 01:35 PM
If we are seriously considering Sanchez with the 12th pick, why not offer it to KC for Cassel?

KC does not seem as convinced as Josh is about Cassel because they are yet to start negotiations on extending cassel and are willing to pay him 14 mil this year to see how he performs. If we throw in players like Selvin, Scheff who probably won't make the team along with a conditional next year, KC might be willing to take it. Adv for KC is that they can draft Sanchez with 3rd Pick and get their QB. They will get additional players and picks depending on the deal.

We get the QB of our choice who knows the system from day one.....

DrFate
04-10-2009, 02:13 PM
I think McD views Orton as a two to three year stop gap to allow the drafting and development of another Franchise QB. I expect McD is thinking he's got 2 or 3 years to find another Brady or Cassel....not a bad move if you have an owner who will give 5 to 7 years to get to the SB. And Bowlen is that type of owner.

5-7 years?!? LOL