PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Todd McShay Mock Draft

Pony Boy
04-09-2009, 09:32 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=4037988&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft09%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist %3dmcshay_todd%26id%3d4037988

USC QB Mark Sanchez stands to benefit most from the Jay Cutler-to-Chicago deal. The Broncos just traded away their franchise quarterback and Sanchez has the quick release, accuracy and gym-rat mentality that Josh McDaniels looks for in his signal caller. If Denver is targeting the former Trojan as Cutler's eventual replacement, it is in no position to sit back and hope Sanchez falls to pick No. 12. The team would need to take advantage of its newfound ammunition and move up to secure Cutler's long-term successor.

I believe Kyle Orton should be nothing more than a bridge-the-gap solution. But McDaniels may completely disagree. Remember, he's been a part of the development process of Tom Brady and Matt Cassel. Right or wrong, McDaniels has to believe he can turn Orton into a similar marvel. So it shouldn't be a surprise if Denver opts to use its two first round picks (12 and 18) on its defensive front-seven and possibly even a stud running back. Regardless of McDaniels' actual intentions, teams in the market for Sanchez -- or any of the top-three quarterbacks for that matter -- must now consider the Broncos a legitimate competitor.

The threat of Seattle pulling the trigger on Sanchez is fascinating. Of course, St. Louis (pick No. 2) and Kansas City (No. 3) will look to exploit the situation by putting their all-of-a-sudden attractive top-five draft picks up for public auction. The same goes for Cleveland (No. 5), Cincinnati (No. 6) and Oakland (No. 7) should Sanchez last through the first four picks, but Jacksonville at pick No. 8 becomes the next threat.

With that in mind; here's one opinion on how the first round could unfold:

1. Detroit Lions (Record: 0-16): Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia

2. St. Louis Rams (2-14): Jason Smith, OT, Baylor

3. Kansas City Chiefs (2-14): Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest

4. Seattle Seahawks (4-12): Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia

5. Cleveland Browns (4-12): Brian Orakpo, DE/OLB, Texas

6. Cincinnati Bengals (4-11-1): Andre Smith, OT, Alabama

7. Oakland Raiders (5-11): Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri

8. Jacksonville Jaguars (5-11): Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

9. Green Bay Packers (6-10): B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College

10. San Francisco 49ers (7-9): Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State

11. Buffalo Bills (7-9): Everette Brown, DE, Florida State

12. Denver Broncos (8-8): Mark Sanchez, QB, USC

13. Washington Redskins (8-8): Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee

14. New Orleans Saints (8-8): Chris "Beanie" Wells, RB, Ohio State

15. Houston Texans (8-8): Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State

16. San Diego Chargers (8-8): Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi

no-pseudo-fan
04-09-2009, 09:37 AM
MCshay is an idiot!!!!

If we were looking to draft Sanchez, why not make the deal with Washington, which has a higher pick than Chicago. If Orton was the reason we took the lower pick, I see no reason to believe that we will draft, let alone trade up to get, Sanchez.

I like Sanchez, and if we drafted him I would go buy his jersery day one.

Doggcow
04-09-2009, 09:38 AM
die in a fire

Gcver2ver3
04-09-2009, 09:41 AM
MCshay is an idiot!!!!

If we were looking to draft Sanchez, why not make the deal with Washington, which has a higher pick than Chicago. If Orton was the reason we took the lower pick, I see no reason to believe that we will draft, let alone trade up to get, Sanchez.

exactly...it's common sense, which is why i question why these NFL "experts" are paid to do what they do...

common sense tells you that the Broncos don't draft Sanchez at 12 or even worse trade up to get him...

we would've just taken the best offer of picks which the skins prolly would've gotten...

WolfpackGuy
04-09-2009, 09:41 AM
I really hope Sanchez is gone before the Broncos pick.
Come on Seahawks. Don't let us down.

PRBronco
04-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Sweet prediction, the most heavily scrutinized coaching/management staff going into the draft this year is sure to take a junior QB with one year's starting experience. Maybe we should trade for Alex Smith too, so he can school him in the art of being wildly disappointing.

/sarcasm off.

no-pseudo-fan
04-09-2009, 09:53 AM
exactly...it's common sense, which is why i question why these NFL "experts" are paid to do what they do...

common sense tells you that the Broncos don't draft Sanchez at 12 or even worse trade up to get him...

we would've just taken the best offer of picks which the skins prolly would've gotten...

See you get it. I just don't understand people sometimes. They want to put 1 + 1 to get 2, but they don't really think about what they are saying.

Denver needs a QB because we traded ours to another team + Sanchez is the prototype McD QB = Denver will try to get Sanchez.:spit:

The truth of the matter is this:

1. McD comes from a place where they never draft 1st round QB and didn't rush to sign anyone when Tom Terrific went down.

2. McD likes Orton and Simms and believes that the system is such that it will make them better than most think.

3. Denver needs Defense in a bad way. They need DT, DE, LB and S.

Garcia Bronco
04-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Sanchez will be a complete failure in the NFL.

Elway777
04-09-2009, 10:05 AM
If Sanchez falls to 8 then I would be O.K. with trading a 3 round pick or Scheffer to move to get him. I also would be O.K. with taking him at the 12 pick. The Broncos can use the rest of the draft on defence. The Broncos will have 2 first round pick next year they can also use on Defence. The Broncos are in rebuilding mode with this years draft and next years.

elpasojoe
04-09-2009, 10:07 AM
I agree with WPG. I hope that Sanchez is gone by our pick. Then he isn't even on the radar. A huge part of the Quitler trade was not only the draft picks but also Orton. Other teams with other QBs were also in the conversation. I trust that they saw something in the kid from Purdue. I believe he can do well in this system with this supporting cast. If someone says he is just in Denver to keep the seat warm for Sanchez, isn't that in fact a terribly high price to pay? I think so.
Let's see what the whizkid can bring out out Orton/Simms. If it looks hopeless -- which I doubt, then go after Bradford next year.

Pony Boy
04-09-2009, 10:08 AM
See you get it. I just don't understand people sometimes. They want to put 1 + 1 to get 2, but they don't really think about what they are saying.

Denver needs a QB because we traded ours to another team + Sanchez is the prototype McD QB = Denver will try to get Sanchez.:spit:

The truth of the matter is this:

1. McD comes from a place where they never draft 1st round QB and didn't rush to sign anyone when Tom Terrific went down.

2. McD likes Orton and Simms and believes that the system is such that it will make them better than most think.

3. Denver needs Defense in a bad way. They need DT, DE, LB and S.

You get an A+ for doing your homework:thumbsup:

DHallblows
04-09-2009, 10:32 AM
I guess if he FALLS to 12 I'd take him, but trading up would be counter productive to who we traded Cutler to.

HEAV
04-09-2009, 10:41 AM
If Sanchez is as hot as the media(ESPN) is selling him than some team will trade up to get him.

McShay is a douche-bag and too cocky for his own good.

I see McDaniels sticking with the Patriot way and drafting defense with 12 & 18. More than likely DT,DE or a LB. Then in the later rounds he will select a QB.

jutang
04-09-2009, 10:56 AM
If Sanchez is still there at 12, Denver should really try and trade down and get an extra 3rd rounder.

bap454
04-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Whos got the link with the full mock draft... hook me up.

Rohirrim
04-09-2009, 11:21 AM
It would be an excellent time to bring in a player like Sanchez. This team is not in the position where it would need to throw him into the line of fire in the first season. McD could coach him up, give him some playing time here and there. Let him learn the pro game for at least a season. It would be a good, long term strategy. I wouldn't agree with trading up for him, but if he was there at 12 it would be a no-brainer. So would taking the entire fifteen minutes and listening to all the phone calls.

BroncoMan4ever
04-09-2009, 12:00 PM
that is so stupid the entire first part of that article is about how we can't sit back and wait for Sanchez to fall to 12 because of interest in the 1st 8 picks, and then his mock has Sanchez fall to 12.

that is just retarded

baja
04-09-2009, 12:45 PM

If the Skins could have delt Campbell for a 2nd we would be drafting a QB.

We would have had the 12th, 13th 2 2nds a 3rd with a 1st next season which means we paid a 2 and 5 spots in the first rd this year and likely several spots in the first next year for Orton so we won't be drafting a QB on day one..

OrangeRising
04-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Elway777 - "If Sanchez falls to 8 then I would be O.K. with trading a 3 round pick or Scheffer to move to get him. I also would be O.K. with taking him at the 12 pick. The Broncos can use the rest of the draft on defence. The Broncos will have 2 first round pick next year they can also use on Defence. The Broncos are in rebuilding mode with this years draft and next years."

I'm with you on this. Drafting Sanchez would secure the future at the position, assuming he's not a bust, and tone down some of the rancor among fans upset over the Cutler trade (me included).

IF Denver decides to go all defense, then I'm ok with that too, even if Sanchez was still on the boards at 12, although I believe the Jets will do whatever they have to to either get ahead of Denver or trade with Denver for the right to draft the QB.

I just think the defense is such an over-riding concern that it has to be addressed hard this year and probably next for Denver to begin re-building that group. It hasn't be neglected necessarily as some here seem to think, just very poorly drafted by Shanny and his staff.

Pony Boy
04-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Go with Orton and Simms this year and see what happens it might work out great. If it doesn't, then get a OB next year the class is top notch. You will be able to get one with a 1st round pick or if you had to bundle picks to get one. We can also use the picks to trade for an existing QB if that's a better option. We hold all the cards this year and next year.

Pontius Pirate
04-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Gary Spivey says the Bronco's will draft Jack Elway

http://pictureisunrelated.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/wtf-pics-psychic-medium.jpg

cutthemdown
04-09-2009, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't be upset with Sanchez..........If he ends up a really good qb...LOL!!!

That's why the call us arm chair GMS and coaches, we don't really have to make the decision, only bitch and moan about the results.

Most on the board hated the Royal pick, hated the Harris pick because he had a bad back, those picks look good now.

We hated the Middlebrook pick, I think all of us did, and we were right we still hate it.

It was about 50/50 on the Jarvis Moss pick and it's looking like I was in the wrong half. I thought he would rush the passer pretty will in NFL, like 7-8 sacks a yr, something like that.

You just never know. If Sanchez came out and won rookie of the yr, threw for a 3500 yrds 20 tds and 5 int, I bet people would then say what a shrewd pick by Mcdaniels.

Sanchez has good feet, is smart, has a pretty strong arm, is accurate.

He completed what like 70% last yr? That's impressive.

broncosteven
04-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Elway777 - "If Sanchez falls to 8 then I would be O.K. with trading a 3 round pick or Scheffer to move to get him. I also would be O.K. with taking him at the 12 pick. The Broncos can use the rest of the draft on defence. The Broncos will have 2 first round pick next year they can also use on Defence. The Broncos are in rebuilding mode with this years draft and next years."

I'm with you on this. Drafting Sanchez would secure the future at the position, assuming he's not a bust, and tone down some of the rancor among fans upset over the Cutler trade (me included).

IF Denver decides to go all defense, then I'm ok with that too, even if Sanchez was still on the boards at 12, although I believe the Jets will do whatever they have to to either get ahead of Denver or trade with Denver for the right to draft the QB.

I just think the defense is such an over-riding concern that it has to be addressed hard this year and probably next for Denver to begin re-building that group. It hasn't be neglected necessarily as some here seem to think, just very poorly drafted by Shanny and his staff.

Would secure the future at the position, assuming he's not a bust,?

HUH?

When do you find out if he is a bust or not? I am confused.

If they don't DL heavy after getting all these picks we are in trouble.

cutthemdown
04-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Would secure the future at the position, assuming he's not a bust,?

HUH?

When do you find out if he is a bust or not? I am confused.

If they don't DL heavy after getting all these picks we are in trouble.

With 5 picks in first 3 rounds Broncos could Take Sanchez if he falls to 12, and still add 4 defenders for front 7.

You don't pass on a good QB if you can draft one.

no-pseudo-fan
04-09-2009, 02:31 PM
With 5 picks in first 3 rounds Broncos could Take Sanchez if he falls to 12, and still add 4 defenders for front 7.

You don't pass on a good QB if you can draft one.

I agree, but this is assuming that McD is looking for a QB. With the way the trade went down, and the arrogance of a young coach. I just don't see it happening. McD thinks he can make anyone a viable NFL QB, so be it. He is going to take the players that give him the best chance to win NOW. Not in 3 or 4 years.

cutthemdown
04-09-2009, 02:36 PM
I agree, but this is assuming that McD is looking for a QB. With the way the trade went down, and the arrogance of a young coach. I just don't see it happening. McD thinks he can make anyone a viable NFL QB, so be it. He is going to take the players that give him the best chance to win NOW. Not in 3 or 4 years.

Plus if he fails with Orton he can say well he was only a stop gap, I have yet to pick my chosen QB, I only got best I could for Cutler.

If he picks his first round golden boy this yr he really will be under more pressure.

Also good point that he could feel he will look better by showing he can win with Orton. If Mcdaniels pulls this off, and Orton can score as many points as Cutler did, he will look genius. If he can't he can say well wait until I pick the type of QB I want in the draft.

I think you have hit on a point that does point to him not taking a QB high in the draft.

Also maybe Sanchez doesn't go as high as people think. If a few teams pass on him, others dont need a qb, he could slip just like Brady Quinn did.

ZONA
04-09-2009, 08:02 PM
I agree, McD probably would have taken the Washington deal unless he thought Orton could handle the job. I almost guarantee he will not be selecting a QB in the first 4 rounds. I think McD saw first hand over the years that a solid defense is just as good a friend to a NFL QB as a strong running game is. I don't care if Brady was on the Broncos last year, with the all time crapy defense ever, he would have failed to reach the playoffs also.

I think McD is going to give Orton his 1 year to prove to him that he can be "his" guy and if not, McD knows he has the fire power in lue of a ton of high picks to go after Bradford in 2010.