PDA

View Full Version : Beanie Wells fails to show in Denver for private workout?

cutthemdown
04-09-2009, 02:25 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/08/beanie-blows-off-broncos/

A league source tells us that Ohio State running back Chris “Beanie” Wells was supposed to visit the Broncos on Wednesday.

Per the source, Wells missed his flight.

And, as a result, Wells didn’t show for the meeting.

It’s unknown at this point whether the Broncos were informed that Wells wouldn’t be there, or whether some dude dressed in black is still holding a sign that says “Beanie” in the Denver airport.

If so, we assume that anyone nearby is standing upwind.

I wonder if this is true?

Ratboy
04-09-2009, 02:26 AM
Haha! Another player who doesn't want to play for McDaniels.

Man-Goblin
04-09-2009, 04:07 AM
Confirmed by Denver Post.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12104180

Ya know, this wouldn't only bad for his standing with the Broncos; other teams obviously will know about this too. I mean, he had to have called, right?

No matter. The Broncos history with backs from THE Ohio State University is tip top.

meangene
04-09-2009, 04:23 AM
Dumbass!

worm
04-09-2009, 04:35 AM
If i had a $1 for everytime I missed a flight....

WolfpackGuy
04-09-2009, 05:36 AM
Just say no to backs from Ohio State.

dreasher54
04-09-2009, 06:42 AM
If i had a $1 for everytime I missed a flight....

I would have zero dollars

broncofan7
04-09-2009, 06:44 AM
He has 'BUST' written all over him--with his injury history and rumored 'attittude issues' coupled with missing an interview with a potential employer...plus he goes by 'beanie'...those traits work well in the corrupt program that is OSU, but it's not somehting I want to see on my Broncos.

Mogulseeker
04-09-2009, 06:47 AM
I almost missed a flight when I was stationed in DC. Our liberty didn't begin until 7am, and I took a 7:30am flight at Baltimore-Washington... lucky my Chief Petty Officer let me go.

I doubt Wells had that same problem, though.

Broncojef
04-09-2009, 06:47 AM
God I hope we don't touch him with a ten foot pole.

chickennob2
04-09-2009, 07:10 AM
God I hope we don't touch him with a ten foot pole.

What if its dripping with AIDS?

davidtkd
04-09-2009, 07:40 AM
What if its dripping with AIDS?

How is this even remotely funny? ???

bfoflcommish
04-09-2009, 07:44 AM
How is this even remotely funny? ???

you would know why if you browsed the mane more often.

TonyR
04-09-2009, 07:51 AM
Beanie’s Agent Explains Broncos Blow Off
Posted by Mike Florio on April 9, 2009, 8:10 a.m. EDT

We were told last night that Ohio State running back Chris “Beanie” Wells didn’t show for his Wednesday visit with the Broncos because he missed his flight.

Adam Heller of DeBartolo Sports Agency has supplied the player’s side of the story.

“Beanie was scheduled to be in Denver yesterday for a short ‘in and out’ visit with the Broncos,” Heller told us via e-mail. “Per his flight itinerary, he was getting in at 9:33 AM and then leaving for Arizona [at] 3:00.

“The flight to Denver was delayed due to mechanical issues so it made the Broncos visit impossible. However, because is was still the best way to get to [Arizona], Beanie took the flight, went through Denver and then got on his flight to Arizona and is there now. The Broncos were aware of the flight delay.”

We appreciate the explanation, but the chain of events suggests that Wells prefers the Cardinals to the Broncos. Or Wells would have stayed in Denver and taken a later flight to Arizona.

Wells was in Denver. And instead of finding a way to visit the Broncos and then head to Phoenix, Wells jumped a plane to Arizona.

Frankly, Wells probably made the smarter move. The Cardinals are widely regarded as looking for a running back in round one; for the Broncos, who signed at last count 13 free-agent tailbacks, more pressing needs arise elsewhere.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/09/beanies-agent-explains-broncos-blow-off/

baja
04-09-2009, 08:02 AM
13 free agent running backs Yikes!

That's an exaggeration right?

barryr
04-09-2009, 08:08 AM
I like Moreno better anyway. In fact, wouldn't surprise me if the Broncos didn't see a defensive player they like at #12 if they took Moreno.

Who cares they signed some free agent RB's. Even if they had kept the other guys they had, it was stated the Broncos needed a true #1 RB.

The guys the Broncos signed at RB are better than the guys they had, but none are the long term solution to the starting RB spot.

Moreno would probably be gone by #18.

Some are saying wait to take a RB. Well, that was Shanahan's way and look at all the different RB's that have been coming and going. It would be nice to find a RB who filled the starting role for awhile and I think that's Moreno.

Not to mention the RB class this year isn't strong, so guys like McCoy and Brown in particular, may not even be there at the Bronco 2nd rounder. There are teams picking higher in the 2nd that could use a RB.

Mogulseeker
04-09-2009, 08:10 AM
Hillis

broncofan7
04-09-2009, 08:12 AM
I like Moreno better anyway. In fact, wouldn't surprise me if the Broncos didn't see a defensive player they like at #12 if they took Moreno.

Who cares they signed some free agent RB's. Even if they had kept the other guys they had, it was stated the Broncos needed a true #1 RB.

The guys the Broncos signed at RB are better than the guys they had, but none are the long term solution to the starting RB spot.

Moreno would probably be gone by #18.

Some are saying wait to take a RB. Well, that was Shanahan's way and look at all the different RB's that have been coming and going. It would be nice to find a RB who filled the starting role for awhile and I think that's Moreno.

Not to mention the RB class this year isn't strong, so guys like McCoy and Brown in particular, may not even be there at the Bronco 2nd rounder. There are teams picking higher in the 2nd that could use a RB.

Cosign. Moreno will be a STUD. Like a bigger Brian Westbrook. But b/c of their signings, I am not sure that they will go that route even if presented with that scenario

ohiobronco2
04-09-2009, 08:23 AM
He has 'BUST' written all over him--with his injury history and rumored 'attittude issues' coupled with missing an interview with a potential employer...plus he goes by 'beanie'...those traits work well in the corrupt program that is OSU, but it's not somehting I want to see on my Broncos.

Jealousy is a stinky cologne.

Gcver2ver3
04-09-2009, 08:35 AM
please tell me that there aren't really people on this board that believe Wells won't be a good NFL RB because he missed an airplane flight?...

Old Dude
04-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Is it just me, or is it that this whole draft class is starting to look like one big fat bust for everyone?

Pony Boy
04-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Already has a nickname "Beanie Baby"

TheReverend
04-09-2009, 08:46 AM
Is it just me, or is it that this whole draft class is starting to look like one big fat bust for everyone?

There's only a handful of picks in the first that I feel "comfortable" with.

BroncoBen
04-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Beanie’s Agent Explains Broncos Blow Off
Posted by Mike Florio on April 9, 2009, 8:10 a.m. EDT

We were told last night that Ohio State running back Chris “Beanie” Wells didn’t show for his Wednesday visit with the Broncos because he missed his flight.

Adam Heller of DeBartolo Sports Agency has supplied the player’s side of the story.

“Beanie was scheduled to be in Denver yesterday for a short ‘in and out’ visit with the Broncos,” Heller told us via e-mail. “Per his flight itinerary, he was getting in at 9:33 AM and then leaving for Arizona [at] 3:00.

“The flight to Denver was delayed due to mechanical issues so it made the Broncos visit impossible. However, because is was still the best way to get to [Arizona], Beanie took the flight, went through Denver and then got on his flight to Arizona and is there now. The Broncos were aware of the flight delay.”

We appreciate the explanation, but the chain of events suggests that Wells prefers the Cardinals to the Broncos. Or Wells would have stayed in Denver and taken a later flight to Arizona.

Wells was in Denver. And instead of finding a way to visit the Broncos and then head to Phoenix, Wells jumped a plane to Arizona.

Frankly, Wells probably made the smarter move. The Cardinals are widely regarded as looking for a running back in round one; for the Broncos, who signed at last count 13 free-agent tailbacks, more pressing needs arise elsewhere.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/09/beanies-agent-explains-broncos-blow-off/

I will buy this story.. I am sure his Agent or someone let the Broncos know what was going on. There was not going to be enough time for him to make the afternoon flight. You have to figure that the Broncos were going to give him a physical (has a history of injury), work him out, and interview him.

It could be argued that maybe he should have postponed the Arizona trip to the next day and met with the Broncos. But there are too many things we don't know about. Maybe some of the Bronco staff were unavailable for a later time. Maybe the Agent couldn't get another flight; maybe the budget didn't allow it.

I don't buy this.. Benie doesn’t want to play for the Broncos. This is his chance to play in the NFL. I don't think he would want to blow it.

baja
04-09-2009, 08:49 AM

Well one thing is clear it's not the best draft to have 10 picks in.

Pony Boy
04-09-2009, 08:52 AM

The 2009 draft is a giant "ponzzie scheme". Don't invest your life savings.

Pony Boy
04-09-2009, 09:03 AM
please tell me that there aren't really people on this board that believe Wells won't be a good NFL RB because he missed an airplane flight?...

If "Beanie Baby" can't dash and hurtle his way through the airport like OJ, I don't want him.

TheChamp24
04-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Beanie is going to do well in the NFL and if the Broncos took him, he probably would be a Pro Bowler. It is ridiculous the bias people put on players lol.

footstepsfrom#27
04-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Who cares?

USMCBladerunner
04-09-2009, 10:08 AM

you know the sad truth...the key to happiness is coming to terms with your environment

cutthemdown
04-09-2009, 12:46 PM

Didn't they say last yr the talent wasn't that good, then a bunch of rookies kicked ass?

IMO rookies are more ready to play in NFL last 3 yrs then ever before.

SouthStndJunkie
04-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Nothing to see here....please move along, folks.

Beantown Bronco
04-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Nothing to see here....please move along, folks.

Apparently, that's what the Broncos coaches were heard saying as they left the empty practice field they booked for him.

TheDave
04-09-2009, 01:02 PM

Just not a lot of blue chip talent this year... I still think it is deep and if played right we should be able to stock the cupboards.

Keep in mind even a cerified bust in the draft is an upgrade over most of our defensive players. ;D

Cool Breeze
04-09-2009, 01:14 PM
for the Broncos, who signed at last count 13 free-agent tailbacks, more pressing needs arise elsewhere.

Florio is a second rate boob

cutthemdown
04-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Just not a lot of blue chip talent this year... I still think it is deep and if played right we should be able to stock the cupboards.

Keep in mind even a cerified bust in the draft is an upgrade over most of our defensive players. ;D

Most of the people around here went crazy when we took Royal last yr, now he's a fan favorite and people seem to love him.

Turns out we don't know as much as we like to think we do. I think it's safe to say we are all rookies when it comes to evaluation NFL talent.

Think about how hard it would be with no expert opinions to read, if you had to gather it all on your own by watching film of the players.

If that was the case, which is what real scouts do, I doubt any of us would do very well.

I know who the top players in the draft are only because that information is out there for me to read.

The draft could have the best football player ever to play in it somewhere, even the real scouts don't know, we especially do not know.

cutthemdown
04-09-2009, 01:16 PM
for the Broncos, who signed at last count 13 free-agent tailbacks, more pressing needs arise elsewhere.

Florio is a second rate boob

i thought it was shanny he hated, but now I think he is probably a closet Raider fan. He just hates on Broncos, and when reporting on the Raiders, he makes fun of them, but you get the sense he wishes they were good.

Deuce
04-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Hillis

I just do not understand what this boards infatuation with Hillis is all about. Yes he is a hard runner, a hard worker and seems to be a great guy. And yes he is white, which I am sure is a big reason why so many guys like him... don't deny it, it's true. But he is just not a number one back, he does not have the burst and change of direction ability to accelerate out of traffic. He lacks escapability in the open field and that effects his big play potential. I really like him as a receiver out of the back field and a short yardage runner but I don't think he should be our go-to-guy.

ohiobronco2
04-09-2009, 01:20 PM
i thought it was shanny he hated, but now I think he is probably a closet Raider fan. He just hates on Broncos, and when reporting on the Raiders, he makes fun of them, but you get the sense he wishes they were good.

On the Dan Patrick show, he revealed he's a Charger Fan.

TheDave
04-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Most of the people around here went crazy when we took Royal last yr, now he's a fan favorite and people seem to love him.

Turns out we don't know as much as we like to think we do. I think it's safe to say we are all rookies when it comes to evaluation NFL talent.

Think about how hard it would be with no expert opinions to read, if you had to gather it all on your own by watching film of the players.

If that was the case, which is what real scouts do, I doubt any of us would do very well.

I know who the top players in the draft are only because that information is out there for me to read.

The draft could have the best football player ever to play in it somewhere, even the real scouts don't know, we especially do not know.

Overall, I agree with you... But with all the information that is available today i think it is easier than ever to get a solid overview of the draft talent available. Like I said earlier, this draft is talented enough and deep enough to significantly improve this team, especially on the defense.

With 4 of the first 84 and 10 overall picks there is no reason we shouldn't be able to find atleast 4 starters.

Mogulseeker
04-09-2009, 01:29 PM
I just do not understand what this boards infatuation with Hillis is all about. Yes he is a hard runner, a hard worker and seems to be a great guy. And yes he is white, which I am sure is a big reason why so many guys like him... don't deny it, it's true. But he is just not a number one back, he does not have the burst and change of direction ability to accelerate out of traffic. He lacks escapability in the open field and that effects his big play potential. I really like him as a receiver out of the back field and a short yardage runner but I don't think he should be our go-to-guy.

He's a 255lb back with 4.5 speed who can catch and block with the best of them, and busts his ass on every play.

tsiguy96
04-09-2009, 01:41 PM

NFL record for "big plays" (over 20 yards) is 10 in a season. big play potential is not necessary to be successful in the NFL. constantly moving the chains is, always getting positive yardage and averaging over 5.0ypc (including a ton of goal line runs) makes you great, which he does.

nothing about him says he is NOT a number one back, especially since he is as fast as most every RB in the draft this year.

Deuce
04-09-2009, 01:51 PM
He's a 255lb back with 4.5 speed who can catch and block with the best of them, and busts his ass on every play.

It doesn't matter what he ran the 40 in. What matters is being able to evade defenders to gain extra yards in an actual game. Even in his highlight tapes there are many plays where there are a lot more yards to be had but he doesn't have the burst/acceleration/vision to get through the initial line of defenders. He may have dragged a guy a few yards and it makes it look like a good hard run, but the fact is, he should be evading that first defender all together. I'm not saying he doesn't bust his ass or isn't a hardworker or will be a great fullback. Rudy busted his ass on every play, doesn't make him an NFL RB.

cmhargrove
04-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Draft him, then trade his ass...

Deuce
04-09-2009, 01:57 PM
NFL record for "big plays" (over 20 yards) is 10 in a season. big play potential is not necessary to be successful in the NFL. constantly moving the chains is, always getting positive yardage and averaging over 5.0ypc (including a ton of goal line runs) makes you great, which he does.

nothing about him says he is NOT a number one back, especially since he is as fast as most every RB in the draft this year.

I'm not necessarily talking about 20+ yard plays, more like those 8-9 yard runs that really change the momentum of a drive. And once again 40 time is irrelevant, football speed is much different.

tsiguy96
04-09-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm not necessarily talking about 20+ yard plays, more like those 8-9 yard runs that really change the momentum of a drive. And once again 40 time is irrelevant, football speed is much different.

he had 3 19 yard runs in one game. http://www.nfl.com/players/peytonhillis/gamelogs?id=HIL734134

look at the stats dude, they say the exact opposite of what you are trying to say. in all his games as a starting RB, he had atleast 1 10 yard run.

broncosteven
04-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Maybe he missed his flight because he lost his "water bottles" in a taxi?

NFLBRONCO
04-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Maybe he thinks he'll go higher then our picks so he blew us off.

TheDave
04-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Maybe he thinks he'll go higher then our picks so he blew us off.

Yet he still went on to Arizona who picks @ #31?

Kaylore
04-09-2009, 03:44 PM

It's not the greatest class, but some of this is people getting over-scouted. There is also some good value in rounds 2 and 3 with prospects that don't get the air time on the networks.

Taco John
04-09-2009, 03:49 PM

I've thought this for awhile. This draft class seems very shallow to me.

Rohirrim
04-09-2009, 03:51 PM
I think in this type of class especially, you look for the guys who would play football for free. Separate the guys looking for the paycheck from the guys who play because that's their passion in life. Draft those guys.

Requiem
04-09-2009, 03:55 PM
This draft class is all right. I agree with Roh in regards to what he said.

24champ
04-09-2009, 04:03 PM
I think in this type of class especially, you look for the guys who would play football for free. Separate the guys looking for the paycheck from the guys who play because that's their passion in life. Draft those guys.

That excludes Sanchez. He's looking for a paycheck.

cutthemdown
04-09-2009, 04:04 PM

That center from Cal, Mack, IMO is one of those players. He will start for a number of yrs at center for whoever drafts him. Probably make a couple pro bowls.

18 may be too high for him but from what I read and what I saw in the 2 games I watched he looked really good. He needs to get stronger but he plays with decent leverage and has good feet.

Main thing is though he knows how to play football and more the likely won't be a bust.

I know I know we need defense, but Wiegman isn't getting any younger.

cutthemdown
04-09-2009, 04:04 PM
That excludes Sanchez. He's looking for a paycheck.

I think Broncos only take him if he slipped to 18, no way they trade up for him or take him at 12. At least IMO.

24champ
04-09-2009, 04:09 PM
I think Broncos only take him if he slipped to 18, no way they trade up for him or take him at 12. At least IMO.

I was referring to Sanchez leaving U$C, he left early because next years draft class for QBs is much tougher. This years class is relatively weak for QBs, might as well cash in now. Sure the Broncos might take him at 18...but if he was in next years class there's no telling where he would end up because he would compete with a better crop of QBs.

I doubt it would be at 18 next year...more like 2nd or 3rd round. This years QB class is pretty weak.

Anaximines
04-09-2009, 04:34 PM
I hope this means he's off our radar

Deuce
04-09-2009, 05:07 PM
he had 3 19 yard runs in one game. http://www.nfl.com/players/peytonhillis/gamelogs?id=HIL734134

look at the stats dude, they say the exact opposite of what you are trying to say. in all his games as a starting RB, he had atleast 1 10 yard run.

You need to take another look at the stats. He started against the 25th, 28th, 30th, and 31st ranked rushing defenses in the NFL. We was basically playing against the very worst rush defenses in the league, and you are going to base his performance on that? Yes, he did have a very good game against the Jets (who had a good rush defense) but that is just one game. I just don't see him as a number one RB, and I bet McDaniels agrees with me. I would say he is a little more qualified to judge talent than anybody on the couch posting on a forum.

footstepsfrom#27
04-09-2009, 06:23 PM
NFL record for "big plays" (over 20 yards) is 10 in a season.
Check your stats; last year 6 guys had more than that.

rastaman
04-09-2009, 07:18 PM

Sanchez = Linehart :thumbs:

tsiguy96
04-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Check your stats; last year 6 guys had more than that.

hmmmmmmmm i stand corrected :thumbsup:

BroncoBuff
04-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Who cares if he shows? We do NOT need a running back that high anyway, no way.

Archer81
04-09-2009, 09:43 PM
I would have zero dollars

Cant afford a plane ticket, huh?

:Broncos:

listopencil
04-09-2009, 10:16 PM
I just do not understand what this boards infatuation with Hillis is all about. Yes he is a hard runner, a hard worker and seems to be a great guy.

He was one of the few players on our team last year that gave their best honest effort at all times.

And yes he is white, which I am sure is a big reason why so many guys like him... don't deny it, it's true.

Eh...no. Now you're just being a ****ing moron.

But he is just not a number one back, he does not have the burst and change of direction ability to accelerate out of traffic. He lacks escapability in the open field and that effects his big play potential. I really like him as a receiver out of the back field and a short yardage runner but I don't think he should be our go-to-guy.

He runs with power and he breaks tackles. He's the kind of back that can give you consistent positive yardage, that's why our Offense looked so much better when we had him in there. I don't know how he'll fit in McD's scheme but he's exactly the kind of running back that used to power our team.

footstepsfrom#27
04-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Who cares if he shows? We do NOT need a running back that high anyway, no way.

dsmoot
04-10-2009, 05:49 AM

I think most of us would do well reminding ourselves of the reality of what you posted. It would lessen the severity of the disagreements we have.