rugbythug
04-08-2009, 03:18 PM
why just post a link.

Bronx33
04-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Man the lions just never learn.

Garcia Bronco
04-08-2009, 03:20 PM
He's automatically the best QB in their division. Except maybe Chicago Barbie.

frerottenextelway
04-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Thought they'd go WR.

bronclvr
04-08-2009, 03:22 PM
why just post a link.

O.K., here you go-

Lions reportedly will draft QB Stafford No. 1
Ex-Georgia star would take over reins of team that was winless this year
Ex-Georgia star Matt Stafford is considered the best quarterback available in this year's NFL draft.

John Bazemore / AP

Report: Lions planning to draft Matt Stafford
Bills extend DT Stroud's deal through 2012

NBCSports.com news services
updated 11:17 a.m. MT, Wed., April 8, 2009
The Detroit Lions will draft former Georgia star quarterback Matthew Stafford with the No. 1 pick at the NFL draft on April 25, Pro Football Talk reported Wednesday.

With representatives for each of the 32 professional teams watching, Stafford completed 45 of his 50 passes to four receivers on Georgia’s pro day last month.

In a script of plays he said he wrote, Stafford zipped passes to each sideline, he threw deep routes — including one completion of at least 50 yards — and he threw while rolling to his right and left.

The workout was important because Stafford did not throw at the NFL combine in Indianapolis.

“I wanted to be able to throw a bunch of balls,” Stafford said. “At Indy you get to throw about 10 to 15 and it was a good chance for me to get out here and throw 50 and let people see.”

Stafford didn’t give himself a grade but said “I think I did pretty good.”

“I missed one or two that I just threw high but other than that I think I did well,” he said. “This is how well you can throw in your shorts to a guy in a T-shirt with nobody guarding him, so it’s important I guess for people to see the physical attributes, but it’s not real football.”

Jacksonville Jaguars quarterbacks coach Mike Shula said he was impressed by Stafford’s throws.

“I think he’s got a bright mind,” Shula said. “I think he’s a fast thinker and I think he has all the tools that an NFL quarterback is going to need to be successful.”

Shula said Stafford’s draft status should not be hurt by not throwing at the NFL combine.

“I think, especially with a guy who supposedly has a chance to be a very, very high pick, it’s understandable,” Shula said. “I think maybe guys down the line need that. We respect all that. Do we want everyone to work out at the combine? Yeah. We respect that, especially with someone who is in the position he’s in.”

Southern California’s Mark Sanchez joins Stafford as the highest rated quarterbacks in the draft.

Stafford was a three-year starter at Georgia before bypassing his senior year to enter the draft.

He completed 235 of 383 passes (61.4 percent) for 3,459 yards with a school-record 25 touchdowns and 10 interceptions and was 27-7 as a starter in his career.

BroncoInferno
04-08-2009, 03:24 PM
In a script of plays he said he wrote

Hey, he is the Obama of QBs ;D

Rock Chalk
04-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Really? Stafford and Sanchez are both predicted to be better than Graham Harrell and Chase Daniels?

I dotn get it. Harrell set freakin records. And Daniels is a huge prototypical NFL QB with a great arm.

WTF did Stafford do in college? Or Dirty Sanchez?

BroncoInferno
04-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Really? Stafford and Sanchez are both predicted to be better than Graham Harrell and Chase Daniels?

I dotn get it. Harrell set freakin records. And Daniels is a huge prototypical NFL QB with a great arm.

Harrell played in a gimmicky offense where most QBs are successful and I think Daniels is only 6'0". I'm not high on Stafford or Sanchez either, but there are your reasons.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Good, now maybe they'll want to move ahead of the Skins to draft their tackle.

BroncoMan4ever
04-08-2009, 03:58 PM
hopefully a LT is still available at 12 and we can trade back with them, so they can get a guy to protect the new face of their franchise and get 20 and maybe 33 or something like that.

2KBack
04-08-2009, 04:07 PM
hopefully a LT is still available at 12 and we can trade back with them, so they can get a guy to protect the new face of their franchise and get 20 and maybe 33 or something like that.

uh...there would be little incentive to do that knowing that we aren't going to pick the LT.

My bad, thought you were talking about the skins not detroit

Rohirrim
04-08-2009, 04:10 PM

Andre Smith might still be there. He was made to be a Lion. ;D

BroncoMan4ever
04-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Andre Smith might still be there. He was made to be a Lion. ;D

http://www.themarksperience.com/kurtnehrenz/bilde.jpg

i wonder if the Lions would throw in a sports bra with his contract.

BroncoInferno
04-08-2009, 04:46 PM

He needs a garter belt, too.

bombay
04-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Stafford reminds me a lot of Cutler in terms of arm strength, decision making, etc.

DenverBroncosJM
04-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Harrell played in a gimmicky offense where most QBs are successful and I think Daniels is only 6'0". I'm not high on Stafford or Sanchez either, but there are your reasons.

Harrell played in a spread offense. Or was it a hybird spread either way I wouldnt mind us taking him in the 5th on up.

hookemhess
04-08-2009, 05:21 PM

Matt Stafford:Graham Harell::Jay Cutler:Kliff Kingsbury

Mark Sanchez:Chase Daniel::Carson Palmer:Eric Crouch

SouthStndJunkie
04-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Smart choice by the Lions if they take Matthew Stafford.

Rohirrim
04-08-2009, 05:24 PM
I could have gone my entire life without seeing that. At least I didn't see it moving.

SouthStndJunkie
04-08-2009, 05:27 PM

Chase Daniel is not huge....only 6'0.

His arm strength and accuracy are average....not great.

Rohirrim
04-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Before the Lions take Stafford with that #1 pick, they should sit back, close their eyes, and envision where Stafford would be picked if he was coming out next year.

BroncoInferno
04-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Smart choice by the Lions if they take Matthew Stafford.

I'm not sure about that. Mayock pointed out that in the last 15 drafts, 11 underclassmen QBs have gone in the 1st round. Of the group, only Roethlisberger and maybe Aaron Rodgers can be regarded as successes. I would not touch an underclassmen QB in the 1st round with a ten foot pole.

Florida_Bronco
04-08-2009, 06:14 PM
I'm not sure about that. Mayock pointed out that in the last 15 drafts, 11 underclassmen QBs have gone in the 1st round. Of the group, only Roethlisberger and maybe Aaron Rodgers can be regarded as successes. I would not touch an underclassmen QB in the 1st round with a ten foot pole.

Yeah, I think Stafford would have benefited greatly from staying another year.

Doggcow
04-08-2009, 06:16 PM
They need a QB I cant fault them. I wouldn't take one this year. Why dont we offer them Orton for like 2 first rounders? Orton is a superstar now that he's in Denver right :)

Killericon
04-08-2009, 06:26 PM

http://i3.tinypic.com/82t4hnt.jpg

Kaylore
04-08-2009, 07:40 PM

LOL Can you see the Sesame street alien?

http://www.weeklyreader.com/readandwriting/content/binary/SesameStreetMartians.jpg

SouthStndJunkie
04-08-2009, 07:43 PM

It's just my opinion....I could be wrong....it would not be the first time or the last.

Bronco Boy
04-08-2009, 07:47 PM
I think the Lions would be wise to let time run out on their pick. Stafford is just not worth #1 guaranteed money.

BroncoInferno
04-08-2009, 07:50 PM
It's just my opinion....I could be wrong....it would not be the first time or the last.

Yeah, you figure at some point there will be another successful underclassman QB, and maybe it will be Stafford. But the history of such QBs is hideous and I wouldn't risk it. There is clearly an advantage to playing all four years of college that correlates into NFL success.

broncobum6162
04-08-2009, 08:11 PM

Man Boobs, that is just wrong. I seen him on Path to the Draft on NFLN and wondered how long it would be before I seen him on this boardHa!

BroncoMan4ever
04-08-2009, 10:09 PM

as a player yes, but in terms of money, no way.

look at Leinart. he would have been the number 1 pick in 2005 but stayed another year because he liked the college life and lost millions in guaranteed money. same thing would happen to Stafford because there are as many as 3 guys who would rank ahead of him next season

BroncoMan4ever
04-08-2009, 10:11 PM
I think the Lions would be wise to let time run out on their pick. Stafford is just not worth #1 guaranteed money.

they can try but whoever they get will still get 1st pick money anyway. any agent will look at the draft order and make sure his client gets paid like a number 1 pick

Hogan11
04-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Being a Georgia guy, I'd hate to see him end up in Detroit. There was no way he was going to end up in Denver anyways so meh.

FireFly
04-09-2009, 01:31 AM

Perhaps, but his draft status would NOT have benefited, and nor by extention would his bank balance.

TheChamp24
04-09-2009, 08:33 AM
Saying Stafford isn't worth #1 pick is kind of ridiculous. Kid is a good QB prospect. If he was coming out next year, he would be right in there with Bradford and McCoy and whoever else is coming out.
And the Lions don't have to move up IMO, I don't see a point. They could sit back at 20 and still pick up an OT, or even take one at 33.

Beantown Bronco
04-09-2009, 08:37 AM
I could have gone my entire life without seeing that. At least I didn't see it moving.

You sound like Mrs Bean the first time she saw me without pants on.

OrangeRising
04-09-2009, 08:45 AM
I've had the opportunity to watch Stafford in many games, and while the jump to the NFL is a big leap, I honestly think this young man can make a huge positive impact on the Lions' fortunes.

Anyone can understand the worries after the Harrington bust, and this will be the #1 over-all. If Stafford busts, it will even overshadow Ryan Leaf who was the second over-all pick. But I don't think that will happen. This kid is mentally and physically tough, and he's mobile.

He'll need it too, until the Lions try to build an O-line around him.

jhat01
04-09-2009, 08:54 AM

He has the face of a walrus for a belly! hahaha