PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Orton's Scouting Report from 2005 Draft

BowlenBall
04-08-2009, 08:08 AM
Taken from Pro Football Weekly's 2005 Draft Preview:

QB Kyle Orton
(6-4, 233, 5.09) PURDUE

Notes: Also participated in basketball, tennis and track in high school. Father, Byron, played football at South Dakota. Appeared in seven games as a true freshman in 2001, including three starts, and completed 107-of-216 passes (49.5 percent) for 1,105 yards with four touchdowns and seven interceptions. Started 9-of-13 games in which he played in í02, tossing 192-317-2,257-13-9 (60.6). Named honorable mention All-Big Ten by coaches and the media in í03, when he started all 13 games and finished with 251-414-2,885-15-7 (60.6). Played entire Capital One Bowl vs. Georgia with a dislocated left thumb, sprained toe and cracked rib. Started the í04 season as the front-runner for the Heisman Trophy through the first five games before fumbling the game away vs. Wisconsin and suffering separate hip injuries in consecutive losses, to Michigan and Northwester, the second of which he was benched. Was named first-team All-Big Ten by the media and second-team by conference coaches after starting nine games and tossing 23-389-3,090-31-5 (60.7) and rushing for three touchdowns. Named teamís co-MVP and co-captain. Set school record vs. Indiana with 530 yards of total offense. Purdue career leader with 2.09 interception percentage (28 interceptions in 1,336 attempts).

Positives: Great size. Very productive. Good, not great arm with a very quick release. Can make all the throws. Knows where to throw, makes quick decisions and doesnít hold onto the ball. Had a very impressive 6-1 TD-interception ratio as a senior. Throws with good velocity. Smart. Fine competitor. Has matured into a more vocal leader. Will play hurt. Threw the ball with more velocity than any quarterback at the combine.

Negatives: System, shotgun quarterback who plays in a QB-friendly offense and makes a lot of predetermined reads. Pulls down the ball if primary target isnít open. Must adjust to taking snaps under center and struggled with it at the Senior Bowl. Sidearm release with a low delivery point that forces more balls to get knocked down than a guy his size should have. Has a long throwing motion. Average intermediate-to-deep accuracy. Not very mobile or elusive in the pocket. Struggles throwing on the run. Soft body that looks like it hasnít seen a weight room. Not a weight Ėroom worker. Has bad body language on the field. Not a natural leader who will rally the troops. Lacks mental toughness. Will force throws vs. the blitz. Has not consistently shown he can handle the pressure of playing in big games. Footwork under center looked awkward at the Senior Bowl.

Summary: Looks awfully similar to Tm Couch and might get overdrafted because of the premium placed on the QB position. Could develop into a starter in a shotgun, spread offense if he can handle the pressure that comes with the NFLís most daunting position.

baja
04-08-2009, 08:12 AM
Now post Tom Brady's.

Beantown Bronco
04-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Now post Tom Brady's.

Good timing actually. There was a special on the 2001 Pats the other day on NFL Network and they spent a good deal of time on Brady naturally.

In one of his interviews, he talked about a QB coaches notebook that he found after practice one day toward the end of his 2000 rookie season. It said:

Slow to move in pocket
Slow to read defenses
Slow to decide where to go with ball
Slow to deliver ball

Needs to speed up/improve in all facets.

And this was AFTER a full rookie season.

barryr
04-08-2009, 08:18 AM
"Threw the ball with more velocity than any quarterback at the combine."

I found that part interesting. Cutler and new Bear fans suggest that Orton has a weak arm.

vancejohnson82
04-08-2009, 08:29 AM
it looks like he has a weak arm in Chicago because it is a horrible stadium to throw the ball downfield....Cutler even struggled a bit throwing the ball downfield in the game we played there (GODDAMNIT KICK THE BALL AWAY FROM HESTER!!!!...sorry that happens everytime I think of it)

One thing that is going to be hard to get used to is a QB who throws the ball away or eats it instead of throwing a bullet into double coverage...its going to be a different game

gyldenlove
04-08-2009, 08:32 AM

I found that part interesting. Cutler and new Bear fans suggest that Orton has a weak arm.

2005 wasn't an epic year for quarterbacks...

baja
04-08-2009, 08:36 AM
it looks like he has a weak arm in Chicago because it is a horrible stadium to throw the ball downfield....Cutler even struggled a bit throwing the ball downfield in the game we played there (GODDAMNIT KICK THE BALL AWAY FROM HESTER!!!!...sorry that happens everytime I think of it)

One thing that is going to be hard to get used to is a QB who throws the ball away or eats it instead of throwing a bullet into double coverage...its going to be a different game

So how long before Jay demands a new stadium...

socalorado
04-08-2009, 08:37 AM

Its not that he has a weak arm, its that his arm isnt as strong as Cutlers, and anyone who is not as strong as cutlers cannon, is then just considered weak. Plus Orton has never had jack squat to throw to. And CHI isnt exactly the nicest place to just toss the ball around.

Killericon
04-08-2009, 08:46 AM
I'd rather have a scouting report from 2008.

supermanhr9
04-08-2009, 08:48 AM
it seems to me that report is contradictory

TheReverend
04-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Not a bad scouting report. Doesn't exactly kill confidence in him. I do think his upside is "serviceable", but hopefully McDaniels has some magic dust in his pocket and can make something happen.

Hopefully...

socalorado
04-08-2009, 08:59 AM
Not a bad scouting report. Doesn't exactly kill confidence in him. I do think his upside is "serviceable", but hopefully McDaniels has some magic dust in his pocket and can make something happen.

Hopefully...

I think Ortons biggest upsides are
1 he ran the spread at Purdue
2 hes a team guy. Will play through injury.
3 found some magic dust in his box of Lucky Charms this morning.

TheReverend
04-08-2009, 09:03 AM
I think Ortons biggest upsides are
1 he ran the spread at Purdue
2 hes a team guy. Will play through injury.
3 found some magic dust in his box of Lucky Charms this morning.

He made Drew Brees' Purdue career look like the story of Jesus Christ...

vancejohnson82
04-08-2009, 09:06 AM
He made Drew Brees' Purdue career look like the story of Jesus Christ...

Brees did get his degree in Carpentry

SonOfLe-loLang
04-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Why do we care about his draft profile?

TheReverend
04-08-2009, 09:26 AM

Because now we have to care about him. Everything counts.

Mogulseeker
04-08-2009, 09:28 AM

Probably because he was once considered a potential 1st rounder. It's all fluff now, but looking into it, it looks like he has some potential.

Beantown Bronco
04-08-2009, 09:32 AM
hopefully McDaniels has some magic dust in his pocket

If not, All he has to do is go to the Jacksonville locker room and ask around....

WolfpackGuy
04-08-2009, 09:35 AM
"Looks awfully similar to Tim Couch."
Nuff said, we're doomed.

chickennob2
04-08-2009, 09:36 AM

QB Kyle Orton
(6-4, 233, 5.09) PURDUE

Positives: Great size. Very productive. Good, not great arm with a very quick release. Can make all the throws. Knows where to throw, makes quick decisions and doesnít hold onto the ball. Had a very impressive 6-1 TD-interception ratio as a senior. Throws with good velocity. Smart. Fine competitor. Has matured into a more vocal leader. Will play hurt. Threw the ball with more velocity than any quarterback at the combine.

Negatives: System, shotgun quarterback who plays in a QB-friendly offense and makes a lot of predetermined reads. Pulls down the ball if primary target isnít open. Must adjust to taking snaps under center and struggled with it at the Senior Bowl. Sidearm release with a low delivery point that forces more balls to get knocked down than a guy his size should have. Has a long throwing motion. Average intermediate-to-deep accuracy. Not very mobile or elusive in the pocket. Struggles throwing on the run. Soft body that looks like it hasnít seen a weight room. Not a weight Ėroom worker. Has bad body language on the field. Not a natural leader who will rally the troops. Lacks mental toughness. Will force throws vs. the blitz. Has not consistently shown he can handle the pressure of playing in big games. Footwork under center looked awkward at the Senior Bowl.

Umm... really? So were you guys watching the same player?

Jerry Curl
04-08-2009, 09:57 AM
I was thinking the same thing as both wolfpack and chicken

TonyR
04-08-2009, 10:09 AM
All this talk about Orton, won't it be funny if Simms wins the job...

RunSilentRunDeep
04-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Umm... really? So were you guys watching the same player?

These draft reports are written by hacks who have no scouting experience. It's all BS mixed with CYA.

Go through any set of receivers evals in any draft year and you'll find a boatload of "has good hands" followed by "occasionally drops some balls."

SonOfLe-loLang
04-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Orton had me sold when i learned he loved Seinfeld. Last QB i remember publically supporting Seinfeld? Super Bowl Champion Eli Manning. Welcome to the SonofLe-lo school of scouting.

I bet Jay Cutler "doesn't get" Seinfeld

TheDave
04-08-2009, 10:40 AM
I assume that between Simms and Orton we have someone who can who can be at least average... Every part of this trade's success hinges on what we do with those draft picks.

Popps
04-08-2009, 10:41 AM

:rofl:

cutthemdown
04-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Pro's- quick release
Cons- long throwing motion

Is it just me or does that seem like a contradiction.

I have always described qbs as either having a short compact motion, or a long motion, and considered the release to be coupled to those two things.

Can you have a long motion and a really quick release?

cutthemdown
04-08-2009, 10:53 AM
These draft reports are written by hacks who have no scouting experience. It's all BS mixed with CYA.

Go through any set of receivers evals in any draft year and you'll find a boatload of "has good hands" followed by "occasionally drops some balls."

To further your point I know a guy, good friend of mine, who writes for a living. He's done articles on motorcycle riding and deep sea fishing, and has never done either.

He also did some writing for a college baseball preview magazine and he knows little about baseball.

Athlon, Street and Smiths, all those pre draft , or pre season magazines are written by writers who most of the time know less about football and what is going on then we do.

I would take most of your opinions over these news hacks anyday.

Best place to get information on players and teams is to talk to the fans of that team. No one cares more then we do.

baja
04-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Pro's- quick release
Cons- long throwing motion

Is it just me or does that seem like a contradiction.

I have always described qbs as either having a short compact motion, or a long motion, and considered the release to be coupled to those two things.

<b>Can you have a long motion and a really quick release?

Well it's certainly true in masturbation.

OABB
04-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Well it's certainly true in masturbation.

now that is funny.

BlaK-Argentina
04-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Orton had me sold when i learned he loved Seinfeld. Last QB i remember publically supporting Seinfeld? Super Bowl Champion Eli Manning. Welcome to the SonofLe-lo school of scouting.

:thumbs: I thought the same thing. I'm ready to get behind this guy.

I would also bet that Cutler doesn't get Seinfeld. He just seems like that kind of guy. :rofl:

TheReverend
04-08-2009, 12:46 PM

I love that show, but are you seriously claiming it has a complicated humor to it? It's hardly subtle humor...

Mogulseeker
04-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Complicated humor = I Heart Huckabees

BroncoMan4ever
04-08-2009, 12:59 PM

Goddammit Lovie! Get me a dome on this piece of **** stadium now!

BlaK-Argentina
04-08-2009, 01:01 PM
I love that show, but are you seriously claiming it has a complicated humor to it? It's hardly subtle humor...

It's not complicated but some people really don't get it. My sister for example. She says the only funny episode is the Soup Nazi one. ...

DBroncos4life
04-08-2009, 01:04 PM

QB Kyle Orton
(6-4, 233, 5.09) PURDUE

Notes: Also participated in basketball, tennis and track in high school. Father, Byron, played football at South Dakota. Appeared in seven games as a true freshman in 2001, including three starts, and completed 107-of-216 passes (49.5 percent) for 1,105 yards with four touchdowns and seven interceptions. Started 9-of-13 games in which he played in í02, tossing 192-317-2,257-13-9 (60.6). Named honorable mention All-Big Ten by coaches and the media in í03, when he started all 13 games and finished with 251-414-2,885-15-7 (60.6). Played entire Capital One Bowl vs. Georgia with a dislocated left thumb, sprained toe and cracked rib. Started the í04 season as the front-runner for the Heisman Trophy through the first five games before fumbling the game away vs. Wisconsin and suffering separate hip injuries in consecutive losses, to Michigan and Northwester, the second of which he was benched. Was named first-team All-Big Ten by the media and second-team by conference coaches after starting nine games and tossing 23-389-3,090-31-5 (60.7) and rushing for three touchdowns. Named teamís co-MVP and co-captain. Set school record vs. Indiana with 530 yards of total offense. Purdue career leader with 2.09 interception percentage (28 interceptions in 1,336 attempts).

Summary: Looks awfully similar to Tm Couch and might get overdrafted because of the premium placed on the QB position. Could develop into a starter in a shotgun, spread offense if he can handle the pressure that comes with the NFLís most daunting position.

I think that right there is the reason he is a Bronco. One QB that I think gets over looked this year in the NFL draft would be Graham Harrell

TheReverend
04-08-2009, 01:21 PM
It's not complicated but some people really don't get it. My sister for example. She says the only funny episode is the Soup Nazi one. ...

That's strange... it's legitimately very funny, but every episode is the same where each persons actions end up screwing the others over in the end.

It's extremely uncomplicated...

Assman rocks my socks.

vancejohnson82
04-08-2009, 01:36 PM
That's strange... it's legitimately very funny, but every episode is the same where each persons actions end up screwing the others over in the end.

It's extremely uncomplicated...

Assman rocks my socks.

its not complicated....just ironic...some people dont like or dont have the patience for irony..people dont like to think too often

which is why reality television swamps our TVs