PDA

View Full Version : Scheffler Next

BroncosCanada
04-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Does anyone have access to ESPN insider? What's the rumor on Scheffler?

jayman_37
04-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Does anyone have access to ESPN insider? What's the rumor on Scheffler?

He could be gone on draft day.

jayman_37
04-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Earlier this week, when asked about his thoughts on Jay Cutler (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9597) officially being on the trading block, Denver Broncos (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=den) tight end Tony Scheffler (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9647) told the Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/sportsheadlines/ci_12051842?source=rss), "I'm not happy about it." When asked to respond yesterday to the news that one of his best friends on the team had been traded to the Chicago Bears (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=chi), Scheffler told the Post (http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_12059910), "Good for Jay. We'll see how it turns out."

Strangely enough, Scheffler may get a closer look at "how it turns out" than he realizes. Among the teams rumored to be on the hunt for a pass-catching tight end this offseason are the Buffalo Bills (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=buf). While it would be over a 500-mile journey from Orchard Park, N.Y., to Chicago, he'd be closer than if he stayed in Denver. A report by Pro Football Weekly (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The%20Way%20We%20Hear%20It/Whispers/2009/afc032209.htm) from last week indicated that the Broncos were entertaining offers for Scheffler and although he wasn't officially on the trading block, he was a player that another team could acquire if the price was right.
The Bills are among the teams that hosted Oklahoma State's Brandon Pettigrew for a visit earlier this month, a player who is expected to land somewhere in the first round of the draft. But the Bills have arguably a greater need for a pass-rusher, and it might make more sense to try to swing a trade for Scheffler and take a defensive end like Aaron Maybin or Everette Brown at No. 11.
A trade partner that would put Scheffler even closer to Cutler is the Detroit Lions (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=det), as a trip from Detroit to Chicago would be under 300 miles. Both the Lions and Broncos are draft pick rich right now in the first round, but the Lions have a need at tight end (among many other positions) and according to the reports, Scheffler does not fit into Broncos coach Josh McDaniels' offensive scheme. The Lions would likely not move one of their first-round picks in exchange for just Scheffler, but their second- or third-round pick could be available. Swapping between some of the mid first-round picks that the teams possess is also a possibility to grease the wheels of a Scheffler shuffle. Any team looking for a cheaper but less impressive option at tight end will also be kicking George Wrighster (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4562)'s tires in the coming weeks. According to the Florida Times-Union (http://www.jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2009-04-03/story/jaguars_release_veteran_tight_end), the Jacksonville Jaguars (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=jac) will be releasing Wrighster today, a fact that seems to please Wrighster, who has written on his blog (http://tightend.blogspot.com/2009/04/24-hrs-and-counting.html) that "the past was bright, but the future will be incandescent!"

Beantown Bronco
04-07-2009, 11:52 AM
The Broncos are probably looking at Kellen Winslow's contract and are starting to realize just how favorably Schef's numbers line up to his when you average them over a 16 game season. It's scary.

peacepipe
04-07-2009, 11:54 AM
I say if scheffler does not fit our system,then trade him for a second.

BroncoFiend
04-07-2009, 11:56 AM
I say if scheffler does not fit our system,then trade him for a second.

If we could get a second for him that you have to jump on it. But I highly doubt it. I could see a third though.

maher_tyler
04-07-2009, 12:14 PM
If we could get a second for him that you have to jump on it. But I highly doubt it. I could see a third though.

I honestly hope we don't trade him at all...when healthy he's a hell of a weapon on offense..i can just see him going to another team and breaking out of his injury bug and thrive and see a big pay day!!

supermanhr9
04-07-2009, 12:17 PM
I think we could engineer a deal with picks and him to cleveland for big boy shaun rogers? maybe a second and sheffler? or a third and him? any thoughts?

Rohirrim
04-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Damn, if the Lions would cough up that #33...

Pseudofool
04-07-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm pretty sure this is old news; this rumor surfaced right after Cutler was traded. It's all just speculative.

fontaine
04-07-2009, 12:39 PM
I hope Scheffler stays. He's signed for cheap, is one of the best TEs in the game when it comes to running that deep seam route. With an aging Graham with a high cap value where are we going to get the next pass catching TE like Scheff?

With a guy like Orton we need to surround him with solid talent and taking away a guy like Scheff when we don't really have a long term number 3 WR is unnecessary.

BroncoInferno
04-07-2009, 12:44 PM
This is an old rumor. I'd be surprised if he's traded unless it's a 2nd. I highly doubt any team would trade that for him, and anything less than that isn't worth our time.

DBBBSBS
04-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Scheff cannot stay healthy for a season, I would take a 2nd o 3rd which ever we get in a heart beat.

But is any rumor of atlanta being one of the trading partner ? Because they are looking for a pass catching TE as well.

Beantown Bronco
04-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Scheff cannot stay healthy for a season

Neither can the highest paid TE in league history.....

Broncoman13
04-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Damn, if the Lions would cough up that #33...

Actually I think what could happen is the Lions send us #20 and #33 and we send to the Lions #18 and Scheffler.

That's the only way I could see us getting #33. Otherwise we probably have to settle for their 3rd (#65 I think) or a package of swapped picks... they get 18, 48 and Scheffler, we get 20, 33, and 65 type of thing.

DBBBSBS
04-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Neither can the highest paid TE in league history.....

Dont get me wrong, if scheff can stay here and play even 12 games here i am fine with him being here.

I do not like the windslow guy... and dont care if he plays or sits in side and screams :-) all i care about is our broncos and what can benefit us if we choose to keep scheff on the roster and what we should get if we trade him

BroncoBuff
04-07-2009, 01:20 PM
I think we could engineer a deal with picks and him to cleveland for big boy shaun rogers? maybe a second and sheffler? or a third and him? any thoughts?

Oh man ... your post to Cleveland's ears. Shaun Rogers would be a-freaking-mazing.

Northman
04-07-2009, 01:21 PM

Give me a second or a third and im still happy. :sunshine:

broncswin
04-07-2009, 01:23 PM
I am sure the lions would give us the number 1 overall, but from what I've heard, nobody wants it

tsiguy96
04-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Give me a second or a third and im still happy. :sunshine:

schefflers value is way higher than a third....

Gcver2ver3
04-07-2009, 01:31 PM
i imagine this is posted somewhere round here but either way:

The Denver Post reports Broncos TE Tony Scheffler has returned to working out with his personal trainer Steve Hess, who is the Nuggets' strength and conditioning coach. For now, Broncos HC Josh McDaniels is not publicly making a big deal of Scheffler missing the team's offseason conditioning program. Although Scheffler has stated he's not happy his team traded QB Jay Cutler, the tight end is expected to return for the team's first mini-camp, April 17-19. Scheffler and Cutler are good friends and share the same agent, Bus Cook.

521 1N5
04-07-2009, 01:39 PM
He could be gone on draft day.

I hope so!

cmhargrove
04-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Orton seemed to use his TE's a lot, so we better think this one through.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-07-2009, 01:44 PM

More of a function of their conservative offense than Orton loving throwing to TE's.

broncofan7
04-07-2009, 01:48 PM
schefflers value is way higher than a third....

To us it is--but not to other teams --his career thus far has been much too injury riddled

Rohirrim
04-07-2009, 01:48 PM
i imagine this is posted somewhere round here but either way:

The Denver Post reports Broncos TE Tony Scheffler has returned to working out with his personal trainer Steve Hess, who is the Nuggets' strength and conditioning coach. For now, Broncos HC Josh McDaniels is not publicly making a big deal of Scheffler missing the team's offseason conditioning program. Although Scheffler has stated he's not happy his team traded QB Jay Cutler, the tight end is expected to return for the team's first mini-camp, April 17-19. Scheffler and Cutler are good friends and share the same agent, Bus Cook.

While reading this I could hear the Jaws music.

Man-Goblin
04-07-2009, 01:51 PM
I've said this before, but if Winslow and Shockey have a value of a 2nd rounder, Scheffler's is no greater than a 4th this year or MAYBE a 3rd in 2010.

broncofan2438
04-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Yea, I dont see us trading him. Graham cant catch and even though Tony is injured every other game......hes good in the red zone

skpac1001
04-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Someone who knows more can tell me if I am wrong, but I think the primary purpose of TE's in McDaniel's scheme is either to help out on pass blocking when more protection is called for or to be effective enough run blockers that safeties are forced to cheat forward to allow one on ones on the outside. That's why we are looking at a TE like Quinn in the draft. Big WR style TE's are a staple of Shanny's offense, but McDaniels would rather have another WR out there then a recieving-only TE. You can point out Watson, but I think Watson was brought in because he was big and powerful first, and a good recieving option second. I like Schef, but if he is going to be wasted here then taking what we can get would be best for us and him.

baja
04-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Can someone tell me why he does not fit in McDaniels system???

baja
04-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Yea, I dont see us trading him. Graham cant catch and even though Tony is injured every other game......hes good in the red zone

he has only missed 6 games I read.

summerdenver
04-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Oh man ... your post to Cleveland's ears. Shaun Rogers would be a-freaking-mazing.

That would be great for us but I don't see it happening. I think Cle will take a big cap hit if they trade Rogers.

Florida_Bronco
04-07-2009, 02:04 PM

He is actually a great fit for McDaniel's offense. As Drek has explained many times over, McD made great use out of Ben Watson who is the exact same skillset as Tony.

Both Scheffler and Graham will be valuable in this offense.

ScottXray
04-07-2009, 02:08 PM
I'd like to see Sheffler stick around.....it'd be one less jersey
of an EX-Bronco that I'd own.

I'm selfish that way!:thumbsup:

summerdenver
04-07-2009, 02:09 PM

Scheff is matchup nightmare and a tough kid. After seeing him play against cle last year i will not question his toughness.

I see two issues here - he is injury prone and Josh probably wants some one more reliable. He is a potential distraction as he was obviously in Jay's camp during the feud.

Beantown Bronco
04-07-2009, 02:18 PM
As Drek has explained many times over, McD made great use out of Ben Watson who is the exact same skillset as Tony. .

Not counting his rookie year, where he only played one game, Watson is averaging:

34 receptions for 420 yds and under 4 TDs per season.

That's an average of 2 catches for 26 yds per game. I wouldn't exactly call that making great use out of a guy.....but that's just me.

skpac1001
04-07-2009, 02:20 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFl&id=48

Only Wes Welker and Randy Moss played more offensive snaps for the Patriots than Ben Watson during the 2008 season.
Watson was all but deleted from the passing attack, finishing fifth on the team in targets with another terrible catch rate (47%) and just 22 grabs. Watson will be in a contract year in 2009, but there's no reason to think he'll improve. The Pats consider him a blocker and he's proven an unreliable receiver.

It's not a lack of playing time that's hurting Watson's numbers; he's just not running that many routes or catching Matt Cassel's eye when he does.

BroncoLifer
04-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Not counting his rookie year, where he only played one game, Watson is averaging:

That's an average of 2 catches for 26 yds per game. I wouldn't exactly call that making great use out of a guy.....but that's just me.

How dare you make use of facts when making an argument on the Mane!

Florida_Bronco
04-07-2009, 02:31 PM

Watson has been injured alot, which skews the numbers.

skpac1001
04-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Watson is a much better blocker, and much worse reciever. If Scheffler is similar to anyone on the Pats, its probably David Thomas.

Gcver2ver3
04-07-2009, 02:37 PM
I've said this before, but if Winslow and Shockey have a value of a 2nd rounder, Scheffler's is no greater than a 4th this year or MAYBE a 3rd in 2010.

good point...

i say we keep Scheff unless he's part of a trade that can net us a player of need (Shaun Rogers?)...

Broncoman13
04-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Shaun Rogers has a similar problem with Mangini as Cutler did with McD... you really thing McD wants that potential issue on his hands?

cutthemdown
04-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Graham will play a lot, the other TE whoever it is not as much. That is why Shceffler probably gets moved on draft day.

barryr
04-07-2009, 03:22 PM
This draft has quite a few pass catching TE's. If Scheffler, who has Cutler's agent, is going to bitch, then why keep him? It's not like he can't be easily replaced or makes the difference between playoffs or not. We tend to overvalue players on our own team sometimes.

Beantown Bronco
04-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Watson has been injured alot, which skews the numbers.

10 missed games in 4 years.....

He played in 14 games last year and only managed 22 receptions for 209 yds and 2 TDs. I stand by my statement: that is not making good use of a player.

DBBBSBS
04-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Graham will play a lot, the other TE whoever it is not as much. That is why Shceffler probably gets moved on draft day.

If we move scheff in this draft we might net atmost a 3rd and atleast a 4th. If we dont move scheff in this draft and wait till 2010, we will net atmost a 5th and atleast a 7th.

Kaylore
04-07-2009, 03:51 PM
I don't see us getting more than a fourth for him. If Matt Cassel is worth a second. Cutler is a first a third and a first next year, Scheffler is at best a fourth round pick.

Lolad
04-07-2009, 04:23 PM
More of a function of their conservative offense than Orton loving throwing to TE's.

I'm glad you watched tape on Orton. :-|
I hear he's also good throwing the deep ball ::sarcasm::

DrFate
04-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Good as gone. The crystal ball says we get a 5th round pick

cutthemdown
04-07-2009, 04:44 PM
I don't see us getting more than a fourth for him. If Matt Cassel is worth a second. Cutler is a first a third and a first next year, Scheffler is at best a fourth round pick.

Or maybe even just thrown in with a 3rd round pick to move up some in the 3rd round. I agree a TE who has yet to play every game isn't going to net more then a low 3rd rounder, or 4th rounder. Hell maybe even a 5th rounder you never know. TE that aren't total studs just don't get that much.

I like Scheff, but if coaching staff thinks they will go 1 TE most of the time, and that Graham will be that TE, then keeping Scheff just might not be in the cards.

I could care less at this point, I just want to get it all over with, hit the draft, and get season over with.

Captain 'Dre
04-07-2009, 06:00 PM
I think the question is: Did Schef p*ss off the wrong people too much?

He's a talent who should stay, IMO. More valuable than what they'd be able to get in trade.

That he's still here NOW suggests to me it's likely he'll be staying.

BroncoInferno
04-07-2009, 07:19 PM

He played in 14 games last year and only managed 22 receptions for 209 yds and 2 TDs. I stand by my statement: that is not making good use of a player.

Is it not making use of a player, or is Watson just not that good as a receiver?

Florida_Bronco
04-07-2009, 07:46 PM

Here. Read Drek's comments on the situation.

Patriots rarely use TE in the passing game myth. (http://orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2315744&postcount=50)

More info. (http://orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2319991&postcount=63)

and more. (http://orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2320321&postcount=72)

No role for Scheffler a myth. (http://orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2345641&postcount=37)

Drek schools Cutthemdown on McDaniel's offense. (http://orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2370054&postcount=32)

Jekyll15Hyde
04-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Scheffler and Cutler are good friends and share the same agent, Bus Cook.

Great, just great.

KipCorrington25
04-07-2009, 09:56 PM
I"m luke warm on Scheffler.

His typical game is one great play and then a fumble and then an injury.

It's one step forward and two steps back. Also, his little bitch routine isn't going to fly now with Belicheat's protege around.

cutthemdown
04-07-2009, 10:08 PM
LOL schools me!! Whatever Florida. I guess I will be right when Schef gets traded , or wrong when he doesn't.

Also when Broncos go 3 wr a ton next yr and not much 2 TE then come back and tell me how I got schooled.

Florida_Bronco
04-07-2009, 10:14 PM
LOL schools me!! Whatever Florida. I guess I will be right when Schef gets traded , or wrong when he doesn't.

Also when Broncos go 3 wr a ton next yr and not much 2 TE then come back and tell me how I got schooled.

The numbers don't lie my friend, and Drek knows the Patriots.

Gcver2ver3
04-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Shaun Rogers has a similar problem with Mangini as Cutler did with McD... you really thing McD wants that potential issue on his hands?

i hope so...

cutthemdown
04-08-2009, 01:24 AM
The numbers don't lie my friend, and Drek knows the Patriots.

Once the got Welker to play the slot the 2 TE sets mostly went away.

IMO Royal and Stokely will make Mcdaniels want to use them a lot inside, With Gaffney and Marshall outside.

I would agree with you thinking Broncos will use 2 TE sets more if Broncos didn't have 2 really good slot WR. For that reason, and the fact Graham is a better blocker, more physical player, then Scheffler I feel Mcdaniels may consider offense better off trading Scheff for a pick, or to move up for a better defensive player in 2nd 3rd round etc.

Sorry you don't see this as something that is possible and realistic.

I respect Dreks analysis of the Pats and there use of TE over last 4-5 yrs. I'm saying that IMO it will be more like the Pats after Graham left and Welker arrived. Lot's a 3 WR sets, not as many 2 TE.

Why do you think Broncos are loaded up at WR? Even Chad Jackson might get a chance to play some early to see if he can contribute.

Even having said that though I like Scheffler and would like to see him stay. I'm sure the offense could use him even if he played a little less and had to block a little better.

Florida_Bronco
04-08-2009, 02:07 AM
Once the got Welker to play the slot the 2 TE sets mostly went away. Welker joining the team happened the same time they lost Daniel Graham to us.

IMO Royal and Stokely will make Mcdaniels want to use them a lot inside, With Gaffney and Marshall outside. I'm sure McDaniels will find a way to use them all.

I would agree with you thinking Broncos will use 2 TE sets more if Broncos didn't have 2 really good slot WR. For that reason, and the fact Graham is a better blocker, more physical player, then Scheffler I feel Mcdaniels may consider offense better off trading Scheff for a pick, or to move up for a better defensive player in 2nd 3rd round etc. I don't think that will happen for the simple fact that Stokley is getting up in years. It wouldn't make much sense to trade Scheffler to get Stokley on the field more.

Sorry you don't see this as something that is possible and realistic. Because it really isn't. Not only is Scheffler a near carbon copy of Watson, who McDaniels used extensively, but there hasn't been any reliable sources saying that he might be traded.

It's extremely unlikely that Scheffler gets traded provided he doesn't become a nuisance over the Cutler trade.

I respect Dreks analysis of the Pats and there use of TE over last 4-5 yrs. I'm saying that IMO it will be more like the Pats after Graham left and Welker arrived. Lot's a 3 WR sets, not as many 2 TE. It'll probably be a mix of the two.

Why do you think Broncos are loaded up at WR? Even Chad Jackson might get a chance to play some early to see if he can contribute. It was like that before McDaniels showed up. We've only added Gaffney since then.

Drek
04-08-2009, 05:48 AM
Once the got Welker to play the slot the 2 TE sets mostly went away.
There wasn't a real good #2 to convince them that two TE sets were worth it anymore.

IMO Royal and Stokely will make Mcdaniels want to use them a lot inside, With Gaffney and Marshall outside.
I'll be blunt and I'm sure it'll start another wave of McDaniels hate, but I don't think Stokely has much of a chance to stick on this roster. Royal will take the Wes Welker style role as the #2 who plays out of the slot and Gaffney is a better option than Stokley out wide. This is only corroborated by Stokely's public indignation at the Broncos replacing Leach with Paxton. I think it hit home that he was likely on the outside looking in now, so he wasn't afraid to grouse about it.

Lot of good reasons for it too. He's never consistently healthy first and foremost among them, so how do you gameplan your offense to include a guy who might be good to go until 5 minutes into warm-ups when he tweaks a hammy or something again? He's too fragile to be relied upon and therefore a tough sell to stay with the team.

I would agree with you thinking Broncos will use 2 TE sets more if Broncos didn't have 2 really good slot WR. For that reason, and the fact Graham is a better blocker, more physical player, then Scheffler I feel Mcdaniels may consider offense better off trading Scheff for a pick, or to move up for a better defensive player in 2nd 3rd round etc.

Sorry you don't see this as something that is possible and realistic.

I respect Dreks analysis of the Pats and there use of TE over last 4-5 yrs. I'm saying that IMO it will be more like the Pats after Graham left and Welker arrived. Lot's a 3 WR sets, not as many 2 TE.
They didn't lose Graham by choice though. They made him a pretty lucrative offer, but so late in the game that he felt obligated to test the market. Prior to losing him the two TE set was a vital part of McDaniels' offense.

I don't see why he wouldn't bring that back. Maybe not as prevalent as it was for the '05 and '06 Pats, but in the red zone its especially useful (Pats still used it in the red zone quite a bit the last couple years) and McDaniels is all about giving different looks from week to week offensively.

Why do you think Broncos are loaded up at WR? Even Chad Jackson might get a chance to play some early to see if he can contribute.
Jackson was brought in before McDaniels got here, and McD was the OC who oversaw him in New England. So at this point I think Jackson is 50/50 to even make it past first cuts.

Even having said that though I like Scheffler and would like to see him stay. I'm sure the offense could use him even if he played a little less and had to block a little better.
At this point I'm of the opinion that if Scheff gets traded its because he sided with Cutler when he's "just a guy" as they say. Those kinds of players don't get to pull that ****.

I'd also then be surprised if we didn't go out and draft another TE, like Travis Beckum who is sliding from the 2nd rounder he probably should have been because of a broken leg for much of the '08 collegiate season. McDaniels craves versatility, getting to bring back a two TE set that he knows both he and Daniel Graham are both very familiar with would only help to add more versatility and wrinkles into his scheme.

Man-Goblin
04-08-2009, 07:16 AM
There wasn't a real good #2 to convince them that two TE sets were worth it anymore.

I'll be blunt and I'm sure it'll start another wave of McDaniels hate, but I don't think Stokely has much of a chance to stick on this roster. Royal will take the Wes Welker style role as the #2 who plays out of the slot and Gaffney is a better option than Stokley out wide. This is only corroborated by Stokely's public indignation at the Broncos replacing Leach with Paxton. I think it hit home that he was likely on the outside looking in now, so he wasn't afraid to grouse about it.

Lot of good reasons for it too. He's never consistently healthy first and foremost among them, so how do you gameplan your offense to include a guy who might be good to go until 5 minutes into warm-ups when he tweaks a hammy or something again? He's too fragile to be relied upon and therefore a tough sell to stay with the team.

I would be thinking the same thing, but I believe McDaniels guaranteed Stokley's contract this off-season.

dreasher54
04-08-2009, 07:28 AM
It Wouldn't surprise me if he is.

DBBBSBS
04-08-2009, 09:35 AM
I would be thinking the same thing, but I believe McDaniels guaranteed Stokley's contract this off-season.

Stokley is still good for 40 catch season. Also gaffney is here for a reason. So i guess once marshall gets back from his suspension. eddie/bmarsh will be the first two receivers and jaffney/stokes will be used with graham and putzier doing the blocking.

Also jeb was a decent pass catching tight end. so lets not forget that.

BroncoInferno
04-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Like others have mentioned, I don't see us getting better than a 4th in return for Scheffler, which is not really worth our time. The only way I see him getting traded is if it becomes clear that he is going to be some locker room renegade due to the Cutler situation.

WolfpackGuy
04-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Stokley is still one of the the best on 3rd down and knows how to get open.
I'd take him against a team's nickel/dime corner over the immortal Jabar Gaffney anyday.

BroncoInferno
04-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Stokley is still one of the the best on 3rd down and knows how to get open.
I'd take him against a team's nickel/dime corner over the immortal Jabar Gaffney anyday.

I think one thing to keep in mind is that even last season the plan was to keep Stokley around 20 plays a game so he wouldn't wear down. Injuries forced him to play more than that, and he did in fact wear down late in the season. So my guess is a guy like Gaffney is brought in knowing that Stokley's reps will have to be limited.

Mountain Bronco
04-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Scheffler doesn't fit in this offense and he is Cutlers wet blanket. Get rid of him and his nagging injuries (most players would play through strains and such anyway).

Get rid of him, even for a 3rd or 4th if we could get that much.

Hulamau
04-08-2009, 10:22 AM

In Chicago Orton's WR were terrible, Olsen was his best receiver so of course he used him a lot. Here he has plenty of options.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Stokley is still good for 40 catch season. Also gaffney is here for a reason. So i guess once marshall gets back from his suspension. eddie/bmarsh will be the first two receivers and jaffney/stokes will be used with graham and putzier doing the blocking.

Also jeb was a decent pass catching tight end. so lets not forget that.

Why are we all assuming Marshall is getting suspended? The charges were dropped by the cops right after the arrest. With the league's draconian policy already under a microscope, if there is a suspension, i doubnt its a long one.