PDA

View Full Version : Rockies 2009

DomCasual
04-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb and start a Rockies thread.

My last Rockies thread either didn't go so well, or it went incredibly well - depending on how you look at it. The thread was used throughout the 2007 season, and it was uncanny how much bad luck it brought the Rox. When it was active, the Rockies lost. So, people started staying away from it, and the Rockies started winning. Then, someone would post in it, and things would look bleak.

Finally, I asked TJ to shut it down. The Rockies had started miserably, and found themselves way out of first in the NL West. Finally, they had gone on a small winning streak, and I (and a lot of other people) was paranoid that someone would post on the thread, and the Rockies would lose (at the time I sent the PM, the thread had been inactive for over a month).

Here is the PM I sent:
Hey, would one of you two fine gentlemen mind doing me a favor? Would one of you mind closing the Rockies thread I started a few years ago?

I know this may sound kind of stupid, but that thread is seriously cursed. Every time someone posts in it, the Rockies go on a losing streak. When it lies dormant, they get hot. And mark my words - some dumbass (no offense to our many resident dumbasses) will post in it, and the Rockies will go on a losing streak that will effectively end their season.

So, what do you think? There's not much going on in it. Most baseball people post in the baseball thread.

So, what does TJ do? He closes the thread - by posting my PM as the last post on the thread.

DOH!

The Rockies went on a losing streak.

But the thread was dead.

And the Rockies started winning.

They won at an historic level. From that moment on, they played the best baseball in the Majors. They went on the greatest pennant-chasing win streak in the history of baseball, and inexplicably got into the playoffs. From there, they swept the NLDS and NLCS, before losing to the evil Boston Red Sox in the World Series (the deciding game, my son and I witnessed - despite the loss, one of the greatest fan moments of my life).

So, here's how I see it. That thread was cursed. But it was also the Rockies thread in the only season they've really done anything of note, from a wins/losses perspective ('95 was nice - but it was strike-shortened, and they were out of the playoffs in a matter of a few days).

So, we could follow the same recipe here. Worst case scenario, I'll just have TJ close the thread in, say, August.

I hate the Monforts, but I love the Rockies. And this is always one of the happiest days of the year in our home.

So here, I give you the 2009 Rockies karma thread. Go Rockies!

bfoflcommish
04-06-2009, 01:52 PM
screw the rockies! i was going to take in opening day or a couple games, seen ticket prices and said no way! the ownership and product doesn't justify half the ticket price much less full price.

DomCasual
04-06-2009, 01:54 PM
And just like that, a home run in the first opposing at bat.

Playing right into our hands. :)

bombay
04-06-2009, 01:56 PM
I hope Helton stays on track. He's been great in the preseason, maybe he's finally healthy and ready to Rock. It would be like getting a top free agent if he's able to carry over his spring success. It would also be great to see a healthy Cook for the entire season and for Ubaldo to take the next step in the maturation process. The West is there for the taking.

DomCasual
04-06-2009, 01:57 PM
screw the rockies! i was going to take in opening day or a couple games, seen ticket prices and said no way! the ownership and product doesn't justify half the ticket price much less full price.

Meh. Go sit in the Rockpile. Cheap tickets and a fun time.

bfoflcommish
04-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Meh. Go sit in the Rockpile. Cheap tickets and a fun time.

i have sat there twice and never will again!

bombay
04-06-2009, 02:03 PM
I shouldn't tell my secrets, but generally the ushers from left center to dead center will let you sit in the top 5 rows regardless of where your seats are. It's a lot better than the rockpile, and a great deal for rockpile price ($4).

You can also beat the hell out of the scalpers these days. Last year I generally paid less than half of face, and this year may well be even tougher on them.

DomCasual
04-06-2009, 02:08 PM
i have sat there twice and never will again!

Well, come on, man. You're mad because you can't sit in great seats at affordable prices. Well, you can't do that at any professional sporting event. Rockpile seats are $4. You can sit in other parts of the park for $14. You can spend almost that much at a movie. You can sit down one of the foul lines for about $25, which doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

I hate that the Rockies don't spend more. But I see that blame equally shared between the Monforts and MLB, in general. And I can't seem to cut off my nose to spite my face by turning my back on something I love to spite ownership.

montrose
04-06-2009, 02:10 PM
I'm boycotting the Rockies this season. The Monfrots will get no box office or merchandising money from me, nor my TV ratings. Sports owners who care more about profits than wins are my biggest pet peeve in sports.

bfoflcommish
04-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Well, come on, man. You're mad because you can't sit in great seats at affordable prices. Well, you can't do that at any professional sporting event. Rockpile seats are $4. You can sit in other parts of the park for $14. You can spend almost that much at a movie. You can sit down one of the foul lines for about $25, which doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

I hate that the Rockies don't spend more. But I see that blame equally shared between the Monforts and MLB, in general. And I can't seem to cut off my nose to spite my face by turning my back on something I love to spite ownership.

pre world series I was able to sit just seats from dugout for under $30 a seat, and now for opening day they wanted $125 for 2 OUTFIELD seats! The same used to be under $30 seats are now over $75 each for opening day and over $50 each for normal games. FOR WHAT??? to watch them put out a mediocre team to fatten thier wallets?

they have made WAAAAYYYY to many games classic or priemier games or whatever the hell they call them, there are hardly any "value" games. I could go to a nuggets or Broncos game for cheaper than a rockies game now, sit closer and have a better time.

oh btw baseball is my favorite sport, so to not want to be in stands watching ANY teams play says something.

broncswin
04-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Hawpe starting off right baby!!

DomCasual
04-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Woohoo! Brad Hawpe!

24champ
04-06-2009, 02:53 PM
http://swamigp.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/losangelesdodgersvsanfranciscogiants2xnphqqcebil1. jpg

DomCasual
04-06-2009, 02:54 PM
http://swamigp.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/losangelesdodgersvsanfranciscogiants2xnphqqcebil1. jpg

How you can continue to pull for that team with a clear conscience is beyond me.

Damn Aaron Cook!

broncswin
04-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Back 2 Back!!

broncswin
04-06-2009, 03:02 PM

That is my true blue team baby!! I like the rocks a ton, but my heart belongs to my Dodgers:notworthy

DomCasual
04-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap TULO!

DomCasual
04-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Back 2 Back!!

HAHA I am watching it on a bit of a delay - had to pause it a few times. So, I just said, "I bet Iannetta goes deep."

broncswin
04-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Good to see Tulo getting off to a hot start, for the rocks to have a chance they need all-star performance from tulo, and good numbers from iannetta and spilli

Natedog24
04-06-2009, 03:08 PM

Mannywood :notworthy

Go Blue!

DomCasual
04-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Not either staff's better days, at this point. I hope this isn't what we're going to be watching all season.

BuckinKaeding
04-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Thats all good, but I'm still waiting for Matt Holiday to touch homeplate.

DomCasual
04-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Thats all good, but I'm still waiting for Matt Holiday to touch homeplate.

You San Diego sports fans are the biggest bunch of whiners in all of sports.

BuckinKaeding
04-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Lol, just messin w/ ya.

DomCasual
04-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Lol, just messin w/ ya.

Me, too.

Hotrod
04-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Finally baseball is back. This year I have a DVR so I wont miss day games.

Last nights game was great if you enjoy long ball. Myself I love me some pitching duels. Game one and neither teams ace was worth a ****.

I do miss Holiday but this young club has alot of offense from 1-8 so I think we will be just fine. This team goes as far as its starting pitching takes them

Is that retarded purple thingy still our mascot???

24champ
04-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Let's keep this thread mojo going...

Rockies lost yesterday.:approve:

ghwk
04-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Anyone know if Rockies games are broadcast on Sopcast or JustinTV?

Hotrod
04-07-2009, 01:11 PM

I prefer to think of it more in terms of failing to win yesterday.

Hotrod
04-07-2009, 01:13 PM
7:40 start time is that right???

**** I hate AZ and playing on the west coast.

DomCasual
04-07-2009, 01:33 PM

Just biding our time, man. In June, we'll be twenty games below .500, we'll close the thread, and the Rox will go on a 79-game win streak.

24champ
04-07-2009, 02:25 PM
http://www.indenvertimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/drewper0904071-585x390.gif

DomCasual
04-07-2009, 02:32 PM
http://www.indenvertimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/drewper0904071-585x390.gif

Clearly, Drew Litton doesn't understand the magic of the OrangeMane-DomCasual-Rockies-thread mojo.

TheChamp24
04-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Rockies have a weak rotation that makes me question this season. I think the offense is decent, and the bullpen is solid. I am hoping Morales and Jimenez progress further and can become even better. If Jimenez can develop consistency, he is a #1/#2 starting pitcher. Morales I'm hoping can develop into at least a #3. Cook IMO is more of a #3/#2 SP than an ace. Francis I never have liked that much.
After that, De La Rosa actually pitched pretty decently last year at the end. If he can pitch like that, he can be a solid back of the rotation guy.
I think Jason Marquis is going to get lit up pitching in Colorado.
Too many question marks for the pitching.
IMO, they will be sending Huston Street away for some prospects by mid season if he is pitching decent. And Dexter Fowler will be starting by the end of the season.

Karenin
04-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Francis is out for the season.

LittleFloyd
04-07-2009, 04:11 PM
I love to drink beer while the Rockies are playing. Once I even turned on the TV and watched half an inning.

TheChamp24
04-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Francis is out for the season.

Yeah, I know, just pointing it out there I never liked him :P

Paladin
04-07-2009, 05:02 PM
I am going to the Pitts in June. Should be fun. Tickets are right behind the plate at about row 15 or so..... Great seats.....

Rockies do not have the pitching to do a lot this, but the sluggers are there. But, h3ll, baseball is baseball.....

Hotrod
04-08-2009, 08:20 AM
What a great win last night. Now lets finish the series 2-1 and head home ^5

lostknight
04-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Ubaldo looked masterful last night. He didn't have his very best stuff, but still made the pitches when it matters. Mark my words, he will be a Cy Young winner sooner or later, and I would bet on very soon myself.

Hotrod
04-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Ubaldo looked masterful last night. He didn't have his very best stuff, but still made the pitches when it matters. Mark my words, he will be a Cy Young winner sooner or later, and I would bet on very soon myself.

Can he be consistant that is the question with him. The kid has awesome stuff but alot of moving parts. Moving parts = potential breakdowns = inconsistant.

TheChamp24
04-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Yeah, it is pretty safe to say Ubaldo has the stuff to contend for a Cy Young. However, he battles inconsistency. He just needs to limit that inconsistency and he can win 18 games with a sub 3.50 ERA.

lostknight
04-08-2009, 01:33 PM
The good news is that last night was far from the best outing that he has ever had, but he still rocked the opposition. I think the announcers have it right (for once). He has such a repertoire, that he should figure out what pitches are working for him, and stick with it until his arm is tired, and other pitches become more effective.

Hotrod
04-08-2009, 01:35 PM
The good news is that last night was far from the best outing that he has ever had, but he still rocked the opposition. I think the announcers have it right (for once). He has such a repertoire, that he should figure out what pitches are working for him, and stick with it until his arm is tired, and other pitches become more effective.

Yep, he busted out the curve out of nowhere and almost broke that dudes knees he buckled so hard Ha!

The batter even had a "you gotta be ****ting me" look on his face.

DomCasual
04-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Man, I think we're going to have a lot of fun watching Dexter Fowler play over the next four or five years.

DomCasual
04-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Wow. Other than a weird outing by Aaron Cook in game one, the Rockies have looked really, really good this series. 9-1 right now. Franklin Morales looked like the guy we thought we were going to have last year.

Mountain Bronco
04-08-2009, 04:31 PM
I'm boycotting the Rockies this season. The Monfrots will get no box office or merchandising money from me, nor my TV ratings. Sports owners who care more about profits than wins are my biggest pet peeve in sports.

It is a buisiness. The bottom line should be their first concern. However, with that being said, wins translate, most of the time to more profit. Their most profitable year was the WS year.

SpringStein
04-08-2009, 04:33 PM
After 3-15 last year vs. DBacks, 2-1 is a good start.

24champ
04-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Wow. Other than a weird outing by Aaron Cook in game one, the Rockies have looked really, really good this series. 9-1 right now. Franklin Morales looked like the guy we thought we were going to have last year.

This thread isn't going the way it's supposed to...

DomCasual
04-08-2009, 04:48 PM
This thread isn't going the way it's supposed to...

OrangeMane-DomCasual-Rockies-thread mojo is, by definition, pretty unpredictable. :)

TheChamp24
04-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Man, I think we're going to have a lot of fun watching Dexter Fowler play over the next four or five years.

Yeah, like I said earlier, Fowler is going to be starting by the end of the season. Him in CF, Spilly and Seth Smith splitting time in LF. Maybe Carlos Gonzalez actually starts producing and maybe he'll get a callup.
I think the Rockies have some guys they can trade away to help boost certain areas of the team. Don't know what value they have, but guys like Smith, Baker, Barmes are some guys who could be traded to help that pitching staff.

DomCasual
04-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Reverse doomsday thread mojo in full swing today. 5-1 Rox in the top of the 3rd.

24champ
04-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Reverse doomsday thread mojo in full swing today. 5-1 Rox in the top of the 3rd.

Phillies are going to come back now that you started this thread. 5-2 now.LOL

MileHighMagic
04-10-2009, 03:28 PM
I wish that a$$hole skipper of yours would've given Corpas the closers job. Hurt the ol fantasy team, you know. Oh well, Street may struggle or get injured, yet again.

TheChamp24
04-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Phillies are going to come back now that you started this thread. 5-2 now.LOL

7-2 now! Booya!

SpringStein
04-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Off to a nice start at 3-1 and beating several good starting pitchers.

Keep it up!

DomCasual
04-10-2009, 04:46 PM
BALLGAME! Rockies on pace to win 121 games this year! :D

Hotrod
04-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Its killing me not to read this thread as I have the game on my dvr for watching tonight. I hope we got off to a rockin start.

Paladin
04-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Marquis had a heck of a game. And Helton looks good just brining in the runs. Atkins smacks one, and Tulo's trip was great to see. The one call buy the HP Ump on Fowler was an absolute screw job.....

10-3 Rockies. De la Rosa needs to come through tomorrow.....

TheChamp24
04-10-2009, 11:49 PM
I just saw the replay on the Fowler play, and that was ridiculous. I can't believe the ump called it. I mean, is Fowler supposed to only run on the chalk? lol.

FADERPROOF
04-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Go Dodgers!!!

UberBroncoMan
04-11-2009, 04:15 AM
Can't believe we demoted Franklin Morales to the minors after his game against the D-backs.

Karenin
04-11-2009, 08:11 AM
pay attention, it had nothing to do with his performance and was decided before the game. The Rockies only need four starters until the end of April, so now Morales can get his scheduled starts in AAA and rejoin the rotation when they need him.

UberBroncoMan
04-11-2009, 02:36 PM
pay attention, it had nothing to do with his performance and was decided before the game. The Rockies only need four starters until the end of April, so now Morales can get his scheduled starts in AAA and rejoin the rotation when they need him.

I wonder then who we plan to demote to Colorado Springs when we recall him.

TheChamp24
04-11-2009, 02:52 PM

IMO Quintanilla should get sent down. I have no idea why he is on the big league roster anyways. Is he still on the roster? I know he had an at bat in Arizona.
Him, or Jason Hammel.

What is perplexing is the Rockies purchasing the contract of Matt Belisle, Mr. I have a 5.00+ ERA for my career. I don't know why the Rockies always seem to sign these scrub pitchers and think they'll do anything.

SpringStein
04-11-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm left wondering who makes the schedul and has a Saturday evening game in April at Coors rather than having it in the afternoon.

TheChamp24
04-11-2009, 07:44 PM
I know right. In the past, Rockies games in April and September on Saturday have usually been at 1, and then in the summer months the start times are 6.

lostknight
04-11-2009, 07:51 PM

De La Rosa made a good arguement for himself today.
]

TheChamp24
04-11-2009, 08:20 PM
De La Rosa isn't going to get demoted after one bad outing against one of the best offenses in the NL. He was pretty good down the stretch last year and I think will be a solid pitcher for the Rockies if he keeps that up.

And Hammel further proved he might be getting demoted. Escaped a bases loaded jam in the 6th in which he was lucky to give up 0 runs, gives up a monster HR shot to Ibanez, Howard hit one to the wall, and another Philly(was it Weth?) almost knocked one out of the park.

Paladin
04-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Hammel was a mistake. He just flat didn't pitch well.....

Killericon
04-12-2009, 10:32 AM
http://traveljapanblog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/img_3281trim.jpg

Vegas_Bronco
04-12-2009, 10:59 AM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f104/ZClark07/AlbertPujols.jpg

Redbird fan here....although I might cheer for the Rocks if their not playing - redbirds, angels, diamondbacks, or reds.

I was at the game here in Las Vegas last weekend...Rockies had a sweet comeback over the Mariners.

Anyone seee this game:
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/gameTrax?gameId=290411124&MSNHPHMA

He's one sick bastard!

SpringStein
04-12-2009, 02:42 PM
So, who will be the competition to Fowler for ROY? ;)

Seriously, we have 8-10" of snow here in Monument (and still snowing), 45 miles from Coors. Amazed they are playing.

SpringStein
04-12-2009, 04:28 PM
A bad loss - 5-1 lead and lose with Corpas and Street both giving up 2 runs in their one inning each.

TheChamp24
04-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Bullpen looks freaking awful early on, I'm disapointed. Its early so its okay, but they need to step it up a notch.

TheChamp24
04-17-2009, 10:52 PM
Rockies bullpen blows monkey balls.
And Chris Iannetta needs to wake up.

24champ
04-19-2009, 04:06 PM
GRAND SLAM BY KEMP!!!

8-0 Dodgers!

TheChamp24
04-19-2009, 04:17 PM
This is the worst bullpen I have ever seen in my life. I'd take a AAA squad over this bunch of scrubs, geez.
Get rid of Belisle already too.
Start Fowler, start Stewart, call up EY Jr., get rid of Quintanilla, call up Morales again. Geez, management of this team pisses me off.

phisig150
04-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Sweep by my boys in blue

DomCasual
04-19-2009, 11:39 PM
The bad news: They're 4-7.

The good news: I'll have to think about it. Fowler, for sure. Spilly, probably. Marquis so far. Um, Aaron Cook isn't likely to get any worse.

TheChamp24
04-19-2009, 11:51 PM
The bad news: They're 4-7.

The good news: I'll have to think about it. Fowler, for sure. Spilly, probably. Marquis so far. Um, Aaron Cook isn't likely to get any worse.

They may be only 4-7, but they have played like horse crap.
I mean, the Dodgers surely aren't going to be playing like this that much throughout the year also. Kinda reminds me of the DBacks start last year when everybody was on fire and they were getting lucky. And lucky in terms of such stats as batting average of balls in play against. I think the Dodgers have that stat of .190 or something, which is NOT going to stand. The lowest its been in the NL has been like .260, so thats going to skyrocket up.

However, what is unfortunate is the fact we are getting rocked in our losses. Our pitching flat out stinks right now, especially the bullpen.

24champ
04-20-2009, 12:09 AM
You know what else too guys? Today it was pretty hot in LA. 90 plus degrees...the Dodgers worked the count on your pitchers and wore them out.

Like JTH said, it's early in the season. It's nice to get off to these awesome starts, but sustaining it is the hard part.

TheChamp24
04-20-2009, 12:21 AM
You know what else too guys? Today it was pretty hot in LA. 90 plus degrees...the Dodgers worked the count on your pitchers and wore them out.

Like JTH said, it's early in the season. It's nice to get off to these awesome starts, but sustaining it is the hard part.

Yeah, I like the Dodgers lineup in terms of scoring runs, but that pitching isn't going to sustain this hot start. And Orlando Hudson and Matt Kemp certainly aren't going to be swinging .380 lol :P

Also, the Rockies schedule is awful looking at it. I know its wise to not schedule a lot of home games in April in Colorado due to the weather but geez.
Out of first 14 games, 3 will be at home.
They have a 10 game road trip in May.
11 game road trip in beginning of June. 9 game road trip end of June.
Just seems a little ridiculous to play that many on the road in those stretches.
I'm sure other teams face this, its just something I don't like lol

DomCasual
04-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Rockies fans know Matt Harrington. Here's a really interesting/sad story about him. It's pretty long, but I mostly enjoyed it. I'm glad to hear he didn't end up with nothing from the process.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=090423/harrington

TheChamp24
04-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Rockies fans know Matt Harrington. Here's a really interesting/sad story about him. It's pretty long, but I mostly enjoyed it. I'm glad to hear he didn't end up with nothing from the process.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=090423/harrington

Good read. I still think it was stupid that he never signed a contract, especially with the Padres a year later.

But glad he is doing okay.

Man-Goblin
06-22-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm jumping on.

All aboard.

http://www.sjhhspab.org/images/bandwagon.jpg

crush17
06-22-2009, 03:49 PM
I'll join you on that wagon my friend.
At least they're respectable again lol

Paladin
06-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Playing well and if they break colse to even on this trip, I'd say they are contenders for at least the WC and maybe the Division......

Dale Snorts Blow
06-22-2009, 06:08 PM
I don't know why a hot streak had to convince fans to get behind this group.

This team always had a boatload of talent like Troy Tulowitzki, Todd Helton, Brad Hawpe, Ian Stewart, Ubaldo Jimenez, Aaron Cook, Huston Street, Chris Iannetta, Clint Barmes, Dexter Fowler, Seth Smith and Carlos Gonzalez. And the minor leagues are loaded with other promising players like Franklin Morales, Eric Young, Jr., Jhouyls Chacin, Christian Friedrich and Hector Gomez.

The Monforts are jerkoffs and Dan O'Dowd is a questionable GM, but the player development and scouting people are top notch. As long as the scouts stay in the organization, the Rockies are going to continue to trot out competitive ballclubs.

Dukes
06-22-2009, 08:56 PM
The Monforts are jerkoffs and Dan O'Dowd is a questionable GM, but the player development and scouting people are top notch. As long as the scouts stay in the organization, the Rockies are going to continue to trot out competitive ballclubs.

How is O'Dowd not responsible for so many great young players in the organization? It's not like as the GM he's in the Monforts office serving coffee.

bronco_boi_5280
06-22-2009, 09:11 PM

This team always had a boatload of talent like Troy Tulowitzki, Todd Helton, Brad Hawpe, Ian Stewart, Ubaldo Jimenez, Aaron Cook, Huston Street, Chris Iannetta, Clint Barmes, Dexter Fowler, Seth Smith and Carlos Gonzalez. And the minor leagues are loaded with other promising players like Franklin Morales, Eric Young, Jr., Jhouyls Chacin, Christian Friedrich and Hector Gomez.

I'm not in Denver so I can't necessarily comment on the fans there, but for me personally, I don't really begin to get into baseball until the Nuggets are done. So I got a late start on MLB this year. Plus the Rox started off super slow anyways. I mean, you hate a bandwagon fanbase, but I can see how it would happen this year.

Dale Snorts Blow
06-22-2009, 09:36 PM
How is O'Dowd not responsible for so many great young players in the organization? It's not like as the GM he's in the Monforts office serving coffee.

I never claimed O'Dowd wasn't responsible for the young players; I wrote he was a "questionable GM".

Scouting and player development is only part of the equation of putting together a ballcub.

When it comes to signing free agents and assembling a bullpen, O'Dowd hasn't fared so well in those departments. I guess you can give him somewhat of a pass with the FAs given his budget, but there's no excuse for assembling a shaky bullpen. There's always quality relief arms out on the market that don't cost an arm and a leg to acquire.

lostknight
06-22-2009, 09:38 PM
Honestly, the Montford bashing gets old. They have built a fairly good team, and done so by doing what the previous management refused to do - build a great farm system.

The rockies have a middle of the road payroll, when the yanks prove year in and year out how worthless payroll is to winning the world series.

O'Dowd has definitly proven his worth at this point. He took a lot of heat over Matt Holliday, but right now the Rocks look to be the winner of that particular trade. Their recent draft looks like they are continuing to invest in the farm system.

Dale Snorts Blow
06-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Honestly, the Montford bashing gets old. They have built a fairly good team, and done so by doing what the previous management refused to do - build a great farm system.

The rockies have a middle of the road payroll, when the yanks prove year in and year out how worthless payroll is to winning the world series.

O'Dowd has definitly proven his worth at this point. He took a lot of heat over Matt Holliday, but right now the Rocks look to be the winner of that particular trade. Their recent draft looks like they are continuing to invest in the farm system.

Lets see the Rockies sign Tyler Matzek first before praising them for the draft. If they sign Matzek, their first three selections (Matzek, Rex Brothers, Tim Wheeler) are as good as any other club's first three picks in the amateur draft.

The Monforts do deserve the flak they get because their thiftiness has even handicapped the Rockies farm system from being deeper than it is. Three years ago, the Rockies drafted Greg Reynolds with the #2 overall pick because they were being cheap and they wound up passing on the likes of Evan Longoria, Tim Lincecum, Clayton Kershaw, Brandon Morrow, Max Scherzer, Andrew Miller. Even Brad Lincoln of the Pirates would have been a better pick.

The worst part about the Reynolds pick is that his signing bonus was higher than the guaranteed money Longoria received from the Rays at #3. Longoria was a high upside bat. He was hands down the best position player in the draft. Reynolds had the upside of a #4 starter.

lostknight
06-22-2009, 11:04 PM
The worst part about the Reynolds pick is that his signing bonus was higher than the guaranteed money Longoria received from the Rays at #3. Longoria was a high upside bat. He was hands down the best position player in the draft. Reynolds had the upside of a #4 starter.

It's always easy to find a draft pick missed. Especially for the rockies, which have such a small window of pitches that are good enough to survive Coors Fields.

Given that we will be 1/2 game out for number 2 in the division right now, I am inclined to think that the GM might just know what he is doing.

Dale Snorts Blow
06-22-2009, 11:14 PM
It's always easy to find a draft pick missed. Especially for the rockies, which have such a small window of pitches that are good enough to survive Coors Fields.

Given that we will be 1/2 game out for number 2 in the division right now, I am inclined to think that the GM might just know what he is doing.

That GM, that knows what he is doing, is responsible for two winning seasons over a span of nine years.

UberBroncoMan
06-22-2009, 11:36 PM

What the Montford's piss me off with is their inability to keep star talent that we GROW. Yeah, Matt has not done hot in Oakland, but I have no doubt he'd still be putting up the numbers here. He was a fan favorite who most of us looked forward to taking the reins from Helton just as Helton did from Larry Walker. Just sucks that the parasite Boras is his agent... still the Monforts should have done what was needed to keep him a Rockie.

That said, Street has been very nice since we lost Fuentes (who's sucked balls with the Angels). Seeing as how Matt is a free agent again this coming year, it would be nice to see us get him back, but naturally I see the Red Socks, Yankees, Mets, or Dodgers nabbing him.

Paladin
06-22-2009, 11:48 PM
I guess I am tired of bashing the FO or the "owners". The Rockies are playing good ball now, and that is fun to watch. Tonight the big storm around here took the game off the Sat from the second to the 7th innings..... Radio was hard on the ears. 11-1. Awesome, and the Angels were playing very well of late. Hope Jeminez wows them tomorrow......

easymobee
06-23-2009, 01:28 AM
ALF, the Dodgers are lookin' good. Manny not so much. I hope his ovaries are doing better now.

Hercules Rockefeller
06-23-2009, 06:44 AM
O'Dowd has definitly proven his worth at this point. He took a lot of heat over Matt Holliday, but right now the Rocks look to be the winner of that particular trade.

What Holliday does in Oakland will not determine who won the trade. What Billy Beane gets for Holliday at the trade deadline will. That trade has always been, did O'Dowd get less than he could have when he moved MH to Oakland, and will Beane flip Matt at the deadline for more than he gave up to get him?

Man-Goblin
06-23-2009, 07:06 AM

For me, it's tough because I'm on the east coast, so most games are getting over at about midnight at the earliest. It's almost impossible to watch them when you have to get up the next morning. Hell, it was hard enough to stay up and watch most of the Nuggets games this year.

Me jumping on the bandwagon basically marks that I have purchased the Extra Innings package and will now follow them closely in the papers. Not much else I can do right now.

But anyways, Go Rockies!

Paladin
06-23-2009, 03:47 PM
This "Bandwagon" crap is BS. I folllow the Rockies and the Nuggets and the Avs and the Outlaws and the Rapids and the local college teams. BFD if I don't always post about them and BFD if I post about the games they have played. My right to do so.....

24champ
06-30-2009, 12:07 AM
Bumping this thread...need some luck here for the Dodgers in the 13th inning.:~ohyah!:

TheChamp24
06-30-2009, 12:22 AM
Bumping this thread...need some luck here for the Dodgers in the 13th inning.:~ohyah!:

I hate you thwack

24champ
06-30-2009, 12:33 AM
I hate you thwack

:rofl: Holy crap it worked. !Booya!

This thread really is bad mojo for the Rockies.

bronco_boi_5280
06-30-2009, 07:20 AM
This "Bandwagon" crap is BS. I folllow the Rockies and the Nuggets and the Avs and the Outlaws and the Rapids and the local college teams. BFD if I don't always post about them and BFD if I post about the games they have played. My right to do so.....

BFD! Shut up!

Paladin
07-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Kcuf! This thread dies and the Rockies start to lose.... Regular. Three teams they have always had problems with: Arizona, Atlanta and the fricking Dudgers....

Can't seem to get through the first inning without giving up two runs, and they can't get a critical hit. Again.

Maybe bring the thread back, who knows maybe the Rockies will start to win again.....

DomCasual
07-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Kcuf! This thread dies and the Rockies start to lose.... Regular. Three teams they have always had problems with: Arizona, Atlanta and the fricking Dudgers....

Can't seem to get through the first inning without giving up two runs, and they can't get a critical hit. Again.

Maybe bring the thread back, who knows maybe the Rockies will start to win again.....

Well, there you go!

BroncoDoug
07-12-2009, 06:59 PM
haha, nice win today by the rox

Paladin
07-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Let's get this up on top. The other thread on baseball is hosting mostly the heathens.

Rockies one game up. Tulo gets well, and I still think Atkins should be playing more.......

TheChamp24
07-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Where exactly should Atkins be playing?
I think Stewart is better than him at 3B. And Helton is better than him at 1B.
And starting him at 3B and Stewart at 2B hinders the defense a lot.
Seth freakin Smith is the one who needs to be playing more.

Paladin
07-26-2009, 10:14 AM
Such are the arguments and discussions about a team that finally has some talent. Would be nice to transtate some of that talent into a starting pitcher or another good relief man.....

Karenin
07-26-2009, 05:22 PM
and I still think Atkins should be playing more.......

yea, what is jim tracy thinking, leaving his .228/.301/.336 bat out of the lineup? when a guy is hitting like that, you gotta find ABs for him ::)

Paladin
07-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Up 2 on SF. Tulo had a heck of a game Sat, and Sun wasn't bad. Cook seems off to me.

On to NY.

Kaylore
07-26-2009, 07:49 PM
I've been watching every game since the end of May. I just can't get past our relief pitching. We have great hitting, many times in clutch situations and our defense seems to be getting better. Barmes had an amazing game today as far as fielding even though his bat was cold. However our relief pitching seems like a work in progress. Morales and that new guy have been good in this series but overall it seems pretty sketchy for us once we get to the eighth. It's like our closer and starters are awesome and then everyone else is light-years behind the pack. I suppose if you have to have issues, relief pitching isn't the worst place to have it, but you have to wonder if at least some of these guys won't improve from I-hope-we-have-a-three-plus-run-lead-going-into-the-eighth, to something at least respectable.

Paladin
07-26-2009, 08:27 PM
You're right. Seems like it's Street and the dwarves out there. I have some hopes for Betencourt, and I think Morales has looked a bit better. I had windered why Apodaca hasn't felt the heat for the poor relief pitching.....

Karenin
07-26-2009, 08:30 PM
ummm because he has one of the best starting rotations in baseball?

lostknight
07-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Whatever Bob Apodaca's being paid, it's not enough. He has done a fantastic job with the new talent. I think you will see the bullpen solidify considerably with the new additions. Not to mention the phenomenal job he has done with De La Rosa.

Up 2 on San Fransisco, 2.5 on the Cardinals (how nice would it be to keep the Holiday powered Cardinals out, especially given Holiday's insane "team not committed to winning" justification for leaving) with 64 games to go. Not a sure thing, but a damn sight better then it was looking in May.

lostknight
07-26-2009, 11:22 PM
What Holliday does in Oakland will not determine who won the trade. What Billy Beane gets for Holliday at the trade deadline will. That trade has always been, did O'Dowd get less than he could have when he moved MH to Oakland, and will Beane flip Matt at the deadline for more than he gave up to get him?

Survey still says that O'Dowd got the best of this trade.

Paladin
07-27-2009, 02:50 PM
Can we hold on to this thread after the site goes "in season"? I don't care about the other - non-Rockies - baseball thread.......

Punisher
07-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Phillies>Rockies

OOJack
07-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Where exactly should Atkins be playing?
I think Stewart is better than him at 3B. And Helton is better than him at 1B.
And starting him at 3B and Stewart at 2B hinders the defense a lot.
Seth freakin Smith is the one who needs to be playing more.

Atkins needs to sit, our Defense is awesome without him in the field. They should just continue what they did last game. SS start in left. Atkins pinch hits late in games, Gonzo pinch runs for Atkins, Gonzo replaces SS/Fowler late in the game for defensive support. It's hard to sit Fowler right now for his defense and base stealing. His bat is coming around now too...

Karenin
07-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Phillies>Rockies

post less.

Paladin
07-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Phillies>Rockies

Post a lot less.

Kaylore
07-27-2009, 08:42 PM

This is me. I'm a bigger Bronco fan than anything but I follow all the teams. I own fan-gear for all the major local teams and attend at least one game of all four every year. On a Bronco board there isn't much talk about the other sports so when you do talk about your local teams it's "OH UR A BANDWAGON FANX0RR!!111!" No. I'm a fan but I'm not hard core. That doesn't mean I can't root for my team or have opinions about them.

Punisher
07-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Post a lot less.

Paladin you owe me for saving your ass from those sailors that wanted to kick your ass that day.Your just don't go in a bar and drink people shots

Paladin
07-27-2009, 11:11 PM
Paladin you owe me for saving your ass from those sailors that wanted to kick your ass that day.Your just don't go in a bar and drink people shots

You're full of crapola.

Seriously, post less, please.

Punisher
07-27-2009, 11:15 PM
You're full of crapola.

Seriously, post less, please.

I'll post less if you become a Phillies fan :)

Paladin
07-27-2009, 11:17 PM
No, I'll just put you on ignore. Good night, punk....

Punisher
07-27-2009, 11:22 PM
No, I'll just put you on ignore. Good night, punk....

You will learn to love me
http://www.lovefilm.com/lovefilm/images/products/1/93001-large.jpg

Paladin
07-27-2009, 11:26 PM
This message is hidden because Punisher is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).

Sorry. I'm just not up for banter and BS tonight. Go play with your toys.....

Punisher
07-27-2009, 11:29 PM
This message is hidden because Punisher is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).

Sorry. I'm just not up for banter and BS tonight. Go play with your toys.....

What happen baby somebody pissed in your cereal?

tsiguy96
07-27-2009, 11:30 PM
What happen baby somebody pissed in your cereal?

wow hes being a negative nancy today huh?

edit: being PC.

Punisher
07-27-2009, 11:34 PM
wow hes being a negative nancy today huh?

edit: being PC.

Yea i act like that sometimes when my girlfriend doesn't want to give me a blowjob.

Irish Stout
08-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Anyone know where I can stream the Rockies game for free? All I can find is that I have to pay MLB to listen to it via my comp... but if I walked out of my office to my car I could listen for free!!!

Paladin
08-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Bump.

Big weekend series. Chance to put the Giants behind. Maybe continue to gain on the dudgers. (Cubbies need to play D.)

Amazing season....

Raidersbane
08-21-2009, 12:38 PM
I was at the first game of the series Tuesday with the Nats. But get this, I never saw a single uniformed cop, a drunk, or even heard anyone utter a bad word. 98% of the crowd was upper middle class white and the damned stadium is next to fricken Anacostia. Had a great time but it was kinda surreal.......

Paladin
08-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Interesting.

I understand the local constabulary was trying to make sure the stadium and the games were "family friendly" and safe. Nice to know they have done as well as you say.....

orange 4 life
08-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Bump.

Big weekend series. Chance to put the Giants behind. Maybe continue to gain on the dudgers. (Cubbies need to play D.)

Amazing season....

Absolutely true, and far and away the most exciting baseball season (through August) this town has ever seen.

That said, these next 7 games will tell us alot. If the Rox can win 4 or more, then you have to think they have the upper hand and have a legit shot at not just a wildcard berth but the division.

If they LOSE 4 or more of these games (especially being at home and having three in Los Angeles following) they might be done.

It's been one heck of a ride since Tracy took over (what a bummer they didn't make that move A LONG time ago!), but something tells me these next seven are gonna decide it.

orange 4 life
08-21-2009, 03:20 PM
Such are the arguments and discussions about a team that finally has some talent. Would be nice to transtate some of that talent into a starting pitcher or another good relief man.....

The more quality pitchers the better, but do you really think thats where this team is lacking?
Honestly, these guys have one of the best rotations in all of baseball, and while the bullpen has a few holes, Fogg is a decent long reliever and Bettencourt and Street (despite shaky performances this week) are a top notch duo to close out the 8th and 9th.

What this team needs is more hits. JUST like the '07 team, they're coming down the stretch winning games with pitching and timely hits.
That said, they're gonna need MUCH better hitting to beat the Giants and Dodgers.
Helton has slumped since his 16 (or was it 17?) game hitting streak (and hasn't hit a home run in forever), Hawpe is struggling, and Ianneta, Stewart, and Atkins are nearing the Mendoza line.

Don't get me wrong, 'cause I'm still excited about this team, but the hitting needs to improve........NOW.

Paladin
08-21-2009, 04:56 PM
I wrote that before they got Beimel and Betancourt. Probably not a great issue now. I agree about the hitting. When they had the bases loaded in Washington, Stewart killed the rally twice, and so did Hawpe. But they seem to do other things that help the team to win. Timely hitting sometimes sucks, but other teams can say the same when playing against the Rockies, I expect.........

24champ
08-21-2009, 11:06 PM
I love this thread. Bad mojo for the Rockies.

I will bump this next week for the Dodgers series. :)

Paladin
08-21-2009, 11:22 PM
Rockies stunk it up tonight for sure. Oh well, there is always the Dudgers to get well on.......

orange 4 life
08-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Saw that coming from a mile away.

Now let's just hope it was just a bad game as opposed to a sign of things to come.
These guys need to start hitting, period.

Paladin
08-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Rockies beat Linecum!!

Lose Again Dudgers get beat by (gasp!) Cubbies......

Lose Again Dudgers should look out for the Rockies......

Seth Smith clubs a two run homer off Linecum. Linecum leaves game behind 3-2.

Rematch on Friday between Ubaldo and Linecum in San Francisco.

lostknight
08-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Lets see the Rockies sign Tyler Matzek first before praising them for the draft. If they sign Matzek, their first three selections (Matzek, Rex Brothers, Tim Wheeler) are as good as any other club's first three picks in the amateur draft.

Draft wish fulfilled.

Was at the game today. Solid game, but the loss of Cook for three weeks, and CarGo for 5 days hurts a lot. Seth Smith did a nice job stepping up for Gonzales today. Packed stadium today as well. A few people were remarking on how much a better deal rockies tickets are this year then Broncos tickets. (I tend to agree, my 10th game this year - that's one ticket for a Broncos game).

lostknight
08-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Rockies beat Linecum!!

Lose Again Dudgers get beat by (gasp!) Cubbies......

Lose Again Dudgers should look out for the Rockies......

Seth Smith clubs a two run homer off Linecum. Linecum leaves game behind 3-2.

Rematch on Friday between Ubaldo and Linecum in San Francisco.

If we beat San Fran tomorrow, The dodgers will be coming in exactly 3 games up on the Rockies. Boy would that be a nice time for a earlier this season style sweep.

Paladin
08-23-2009, 09:58 PM
....And pick up a half game on the Braves. I belevee the Phillies can take the Braves in three, but I don't think Tracy is thinking about setlteing for the Wild Card. I think the boys are thinking Division. The Dudgers are playing "not so good" ball right now, and over the next twenty games or so, I would think the Rockies would prevail nicely. They have a lot of games at home left. Sold out Coors rocks........

Punisher
08-23-2009, 10:19 PM
....And pick up a half game on the Braves. I belevee the Phillies can take the Braves in three, but I don't think Tracy is thinking about setlteing for the Wild Card. I think the boys are thinking Division. The Dudgers are playing "not so good" ball right now, and over the next twenty games or so, I would think the Rockies would prevail nicely. They have a lot of games at home left. Sold out Coors rocks........

The Phillies are the Champs and will repeat get use to it :wiggle:

Go Phillies there will be a party and board street again

24champ
08-23-2009, 10:28 PM
The Phillies are the Champs and will repeat get use to it :wiggle:

Go Phillies there will be a party and board street again

Phillies are the favorites, as they should be. Not worried about the Rockies, Dodgers have the schedule pretty easy leading up to October and have a 33-15 record against the NL West.

Punisher
08-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Phillies are the favorites, as they should be. Not worried about the Rockies, Dodgers have the schedule pretty easy leading up to October and have a 33-15 record against the NL West.

I can't wait to the Phills win again,i remember last year after we won,everybody was down Board street handing out beers, people being body surf ,girl showing there tits it was great.

Go Phills i will be at board street again with a bottle of 151 and two buds in my back pocket.

TheChamp24
08-24-2009, 12:06 AM
I just don't see the Phillies repeating unless Hamels is the Hamels of last year.

Paladin
08-24-2009, 08:56 AM
Dudgers can/may take the Division, but they cannot get past the Cards or the Phillies. I think the Rockies are capable of beating the Dudgers for the Division. Certainly the Rockies have their attention. But we shall see.....

But I just see the Yankees winning it all this year. They have sure knocked the snot out of the Bahst'n team, and I think the Rangers will beat Bahst'n out for the WC.

Dudgers fans can get a woody if they want, but they will not get to the WS. Again. Since 1988.

24champ
08-24-2009, 11:31 PM
Attention Rockies fans...

http://threadbombing.com/data/media/29/AbandonThread.gif

Rigs11
08-24-2009, 11:44 PM
Wow what a game. Unfreaking believeable

24champ
08-24-2009, 11:46 PM
Wow what a game. Unfreaking believeable

Pretty crazy! Just what they needed going into the Dodgers series. Things looked pretty crappy until Spills got that major hit.

I wonder how Fowler is, if he is injured or not.

Rigs11
08-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Pretty crazy! Just what they needed going into the Dodgers series. Things looked pretty crappy until Spills got that major hit.

I wonder how Fowler is, if he is injured or not.

Tulo went nuts. Stage dive!

spdirty
08-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Freaking amazing!! And such an important game, it rivals the Helton walkoff against the dodgers 2 years ago.

Hell of a way to go into the Dodger series.

Paladin
08-25-2009, 12:32 AM
Rockies are charmed.....

Attention Dodger fans: screw you!!!!

BroncoDoug
08-25-2009, 12:40 AM
Rockies are charmed.....

Attention Dodger fans: screw you!!!!

this.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Spilly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slyinky
08-25-2009, 05:29 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X4125mi-AWs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X4125mi-AWs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

TheChamp24
08-25-2009, 06:07 AM
Has a magic feel to it, like that Helton homerun to beat the Dodgers 2 years ago in September.
If the Rockies didn't start out so slow, they'd probably have the best record in the NL right now.

footstepsfrom#27
08-25-2009, 07:04 AM
Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb and start a Rockies thread.

My last Rockies thread either didn't go so well, or it went incredibly well - depending on how you look at it. The thread was used throughout the 2007 season, and it was uncanny how much bad luck it brought the Rox. When it was active, the Rockies lost. So, people started staying away from it, and the Rockies started winning. Then, someone would post in it, and things would look bleak.

Finally, I asked TJ to shut it down. The Rockies had started miserably, and found themselves way out of first in the NL West. Finally, they had gone on a small winning streak, and I (and a lot of other people) was paranoid that someone would post on the thread, and the Rockies would lose (at the time I sent the PM, the thread had been inactive for over a month).

Here is the PM I sent:

So, what does TJ do? He closes the thread - by posting my PM as the last post on the thread.

DOH!

The Rockies went on a losing streak.

But the thread was dead.

And the Rockies started winning.

They won at an historic level. From that moment on, they played the best baseball in the Majors. They went on the greatest pennant-chasing win streak in the history of baseball, and inexplicably got into the playoffs. From there, they swept the NLDS and NLCS, before losing to the evil Boston Red Sox in the World Series (the deciding game, my son and I witnessed - despite the loss, one of the greatest fan moments of my life).

So, here's how I see it. That thread was cursed. But it was also the Rockies thread in the only season they've really done anything of note, from a wins/losses perspective ('95 was nice - but it was strike-shortened, and they were out of the playoffs in a matter of a few days).

So, we could follow the same recipe here. Worst case scenario, I'll just have TJ close the thread in, say, August.

I hate the Monforts, but I love the Rockies. And this is always one of the happiest days of the year in our home.

So here, I give you the 2009 Rockies karma thread. Go Rockies!
When I was a kid I used to watch the old AAA Denver Bears. Tom Grieve...I think he was an outfielder...who later went on to be the Rangers GM...any time he was up at bat and was about to hit a home run I would get this wierd premonition, and I swear I was right every time, but it only worked when I was listening on KOA. Whenever I went to the games it didn't work...and they almost always lost games I attended. Finally I stopped going to the games, and they won the American Association title that year. I think they beat the Indianapolis Indians or something like that.

Baseball's a strange game.

RhymesayersDU
08-25-2009, 07:24 AM
EPIC game last night.

Different sport, same song: BEAT L.A.

ColoradoBuff
08-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Great game....keep up the 'MO and beat the Dahgers!

orange 4 life
08-25-2009, 10:01 AM
Has a magic feel to it, like that Helton homerun to beat the Dodgers 2 years ago in September.
If the Rockies didn't start out so slow, they'd probably have the best record in the NL right now.

Exactly what I was thinking, and not to take anything away from Todd or that play, but this was MUCH bigger. Remember, when Helton hit his walkoff we were still WAY back (and at the BEGINNING of the run) and considered to be STILL out of contention.
Fast forward to now, and you have a team that's 3 out (instead of 4) of 1st but more importantly (for now) FOUR (instead of TWO) AHEAD in the wildcard race.

As I was watching last night (with my wife asleep on the couch and my eyelids at half mast) I kept thinking, this is the kind of game that can make or break a team.
When we couldn't bring home the run THREE times in the 9th, 10th, and 11th, I thought, this is the kind of thing that makes a team quit.
When the giants scored THREE in the top of the 14th, I must admit, I thought, WOW, what a waste that was.

Just then, my good luck charm (good things seem to happen when she watches sports with me) wakes up, I tell her why I'm still watching at midnite, and you know the rest. When he hit it, I jumped up (half asleep no more!) and said, I DO NOT believe what I just saw. ;D!Booya!:thumbs:

"Are you kidding me?....NOW do you believe? ....George, I just WATCHED it and I don't believe it."

Drew Goodman

Peoples Champ
08-25-2009, 10:05 AM
http://deadspin.com/5345083/the-rockies-are-a-team-of-destiny--again

orange 4 life
08-25-2009, 10:30 AM
And I'll spare us all another "how did you become a Bronco's fan" thread, but every time baseball (hockey, basketball, etc.) comes up, it's what I always wonder.

It just seems that MAYBE half of the people here are ALSO fans of our other teams, and I just don't get it. Probably never will.

Personally, I grew up a Dodgers fan (and still am. The next three days will be interesting) and a passionate one at that.
That said, I was a Dodgers fan because we didn't HAVE a team here so I cheered for the locals (Family from here back to 1892, but parents moved out there just before I was born. We've all since moved back home).

Same with hockey. I cheered for Dionne, Tiger Williams, and the Kings (though I wan't a huge hockey fan back then) because we didn't have a team here.

Anyway, I'm now 100% with the Avs, and 100% with the Rox (though I'll always still be a Dodgers fan also. Until now it's been easy because they haven't really both been in contention in the same season) and I've always cheered for the Broncos and Nugs.
Guess I just don't understand why so many don't rally behind ALL our hometown teams!!

Bronco LB52
08-25-2009, 10:45 AM
When I was a kid I used to watch the old AAA Denver Bears. Tom Grieve...I think he was an outfielder...who later went on to be the Rangers GM...any time he was up at bat and was about to hit a home run I would get this wierd premonition, and I swear I was right every time, but it only worked when I was listening on KOA. Whenever I went to the games it didn't work...and they almost always lost games I attended. Finally I stopped going to the games, and they won the American Association title that year. I think they beat the Indianapolis Indians or something like that.

Baseball's a strange game.

That sounds eerily similar to the plot of the movie Tiger Town.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4817/656330.jpg (http://img41.imageshack.us/i/656330.jpg/)

Paladin
08-25-2009, 11:54 AM

Geez. Your parents are old...... (j/k)

orange 4 life
08-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Geez. Your parents are old...... (j/k)

LOL.

Yeah, my family has been here forever. My great grandfather was one of the men who started the Denver rescue mission, my great grandmother (who inherited alot of money. Too bad I haven't got any!!) paid (anonymously. She was a saint) for a couple wings of the Denver Dumb Friends League (who we don't now support because of their stance on pitbulls), and Hind Lake was in the middle of our family farm!

Unfortunately, my grandparents had NO IDEA how much land values would increase and sold it for less than 50 thousand (well over 200 acres).
Today it would be worth about 40 million, and of course they couldn't have kept it that long, but had they stuck it out even another ten years or so (they sold in the 60's) they would've died wealthy instead of struggling all their lives.

Karenin
08-25-2009, 07:28 PM
Attention Rockies fans...

What a surprise, it looks like the Dodgers troll is the one that actually abandoned the thread. Just like he did for the past 2 months or so, in which the Dodgers went 21-21 and lost 5.5 games to the Rockies. Of course, he'll be back in here trolling again whenever the Dodgers beat the Rockies, but will be nowhere to be found if the Rockies win and/or when the Rockies continue to make up ground.

spdirty
08-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Congrats to little EY. Sucks it came cuz of the Fowler injury, and sucks he got picked off right after, but congrats on your first mlb hit nonetheless. Now win this ****ing game.

ps, Great effort Hammel. Another reason to love Tracy. Lets his starters pitch without having to look over their shoulder whenever they get a lil jam.

Dukes
08-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Congrats to little EY. Sucks it came cuz of the Fowler injury, and sucks he got picked off right after, but congrats on your first mlb hit nonetheless. Now win this ****ing game.

ps, Great effort Hammel. Another reason to love Tracy. Lets his starters pitch without having to look over their shoulder whenever they get a lil jam.

It was great to see EY jr. get his first hit, seeing EY sr. celebrate in the press box was fun to watch. Only 3 more outs, come on Rocks!!!

spdirty
08-25-2009, 09:53 PM
damnit just end it here. Do not want to see this game go very deep into extra innings. Bad mistake on Tracys part letting Daley pitch to Manny, but once it was 0-2 he shouldve just went down and away till either he swung at one or walked. Oh well hindsights 20/20 I guess.

spdirty
08-25-2009, 10:00 PM
Come on Tulo!

spdirty
08-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Yeah!

Karenin
08-25-2009, 10:03 PM
attention 24champ and all other spineless dodgers' trolls:

2 games back.

bronco militia
08-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Tuuuuuuulloo!

DivineBronco
08-25-2009, 10:04 PM
this is going to be an awesome ride to the end of the season

Popcorn Sutton
08-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Hellz to the yeah!!!

spdirty
08-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Man what a fun team, well, fun since Hurdle got shltcanned.

Broncosfreak_56
08-25-2009, 10:12 PM
Woohoo, Rockies pull it off! :D Great start to the series.

Paladin
08-25-2009, 10:57 PM
The LA Fairweather fans are off stroking their LA woodies somewhere else, I guess.

Ramriz looks like an ugly freak. I wonder if the Magina pills were to improve his complexion. Didn't work. Pitchers are not intimidated by that freak.....

A good start to the series. Rockies win tomorrow, and I think the Dudgers will be in trouble.....stunningly.....

I thought the Dudger pitcher did a nice job, but Hammel was even better given the pressure to stay on point for at least seven. Daley is learning, but I woulfd have left Morales in for the ninth at least to start.

BroncoDoug
08-25-2009, 11:11 PM
chirp chirp chirp... don't hear the LA fans anymore...

Houshyamama
08-26-2009, 12:14 AM
I'm lovin' me some Rockies right now

JCMElway
08-26-2009, 01:33 AM
24 will be in here soon enough, he'll represent win or lose. I don't know about the others tho'....

watermock
08-26-2009, 03:11 AM
Manny is being manny, w/o roids.

He's an ass.

Rockies look solid.

Aren't the Phillies in our way?

Peoples Champ
08-26-2009, 07:05 AM
chirp chirp chirp... don't hear the LA fans anymore...

Yep,

The Rockies are dominating those California teams. We just rocked San Fran, Beat LA last night, who is left? Padres and A's, bring it, I am not scared.

Looks like this year is shaping up to be like 2007, where the Rockies are the most exciting team in Baseball.

Paladin
08-26-2009, 07:29 AM
I am not willing to just claim the Division for the Rockies yet. There are a lot of games left (30+, I believe) and any thing can happen. But if you can say that about the Rockies, you can say that about the Dudgers as well. They have an incredibly easy scheduole coming up. If anything, I would say that the Dudgers would need to continue to play at a little over 500 ball the rest of the way (easy schedule, remember) and the Rockies need to stay at their incredible 600+ ball, and the Dudgers will be home for Columbus Day.

In any case, the "elite" Dudgers have come back to their average.......

Right now, it is just great that the Rockies are playing such entertaining ball. Dudgers, not so much......And the Rockies' fans do not have to talk smack to enjoy the games......

Answer Mock: I think, frankly, both the Phillies and the Cards are potential good matchups for the Rockies, and I think both of those teams can and would clean the Dudgers' clocks. The Dudgers will not be going to the WS this year. Again.

Peoples Champ
08-26-2009, 07:56 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4422777

This is awfull for the MLB, wasnt Torrealba's kids kidnapped this year?

Lay off the man.

The rockies are doing unbelievable if you consider the adversity they have faced. New coach mid way through the season. Torrealba's kids being kidanpped, which I heard affected the whole team.

ColoradoBuff
08-26-2009, 08:35 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4422777

This is awfull for the MLB, wasnt Torrealba's kids kidnapped this year?

Lay off the man.

The rockies are doing unbelievable if you consider the adversity they have faced. New coach mid way through the season. Torrealba's kids being kidanpped, which I heard affected the whole team.

I just read that on espn.....if that is true what the Umpires said and acted, they should be fired and never allowed to Ump again at any level! What a disgrace to the game of baseball. wow!

ColoradoBuff
08-26-2009, 08:35 AM
GO Rox....beat the Duhgers!

24champ
08-26-2009, 08:51 AM
24 will be in here soon enough, he'll represent win or lose. I don't know about the others tho'....

Rockies win the first game, would have preferred George Sherill in the 10th over the young and talented McDonald ...but it is what it is.

I like the pitching matchup for tonight Fogg vs Mr. Reliable Wolf, not sure what Padilla has for tomorrow afternoon but we'll see.

I honestly think the Rockies are peaking too soon. Got a whole another month of baseball to play, and the Dodgers have an easy schedule remaining.

ColoradoBuff
08-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Rockies win the first game, would have preferred George Sherill in the 10th over the young and talented McDonald ...but it is what it is.

I like the pitching matchup for tonight Fogg vs Mr. Reliable Wolf, not sure what Padilla has for tomorrow afternoon but we'll see.

I honestly think the Rockies are peaking too soon. Got a whole another month of baseball to play, and the Dodgers have an easy schedule remaining.

Only time will tell!

24champ
08-26-2009, 09:01 AM
attention 24champ and all other spineless dodgers' trolls:

2 games back.

Awesome. Let me adjust the rearview mirror.:thumbs:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/rearviewmirror.jpg

TheChamp24
08-26-2009, 09:34 AM

lawls, didn't people say that back in June/July? They've been playing this well since June. I don't see them faltering off.
Heck, I could say the Dodgers peaked too soon, going on a torrid pace early and now being more average in the 2nd half.
I don't see a win tonight, Rockies struggle against lefties for some reason. Wolf usually does well against the Rockies as well. Still, this is amazing because back in June, we were nearly 20 games back of the division, and now 2 back with 4 games up on the wildcard, that is amazing.

24champ
08-26-2009, 10:03 AM
lawls, didn't people say that back in June/July? They've been playing this well since June. I don't see them faltering off.
Heck, I could say the Dodgers peaked too soon, going on a torrid pace early and now being more average in the 2nd half.

Not arguing that, but the Dodgers had a tough schedule in the second half. I'd rather go through a slump right now than in September. Most of our games in Sept. are against Padres, Diamondbacks, Nationals, Pirates, and the only team over .500 on that schedule is the Midgets.

There's no reason for Dodger fans to worry. We'll make the playoffs.

I don't see a win tonight, Rockies struggle against lefties for some reason. Wolf usually does well against the Rockies as well. Still, this is amazing because back in June, we were nearly 20 games back of the division, and now 2 back with 4 games up on the wildcard, that is amazing.

What makes it amazing to me is that Tracy managed the team during this run.

Karenin
08-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Awesome. Let me adjust the rearview mirror.:thumbs:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/rearviewmirror.jpg

keep adjusting, you're gonna need to turn it around pretty soon.

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/8881/33881243.jpg

orange 4 life
08-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Not arguing that, but the Dodgers had a tough schedule in the second half. I'd rather go through a slump right now than in September. Most of our games in Sept. are against Padres, Diamondbacks, Nationals, Pirates, and the only team over .500 on that schedule is the Midgets.

My hope (of course) is that both teams make the playoffs, but I'll be a bit schizo if that happens.

I've become a Rockies first guy (how can I not? They're the local team I see every day) but I'll always remember my Dodger roots and the '81 and '88 teams. Gibson's walkoff was one of the most amazing (and special) sports moments of my life. ^5

spdirty
08-26-2009, 07:50 PM

K, lets look at the Rockies September-Roctober schedule.

10 game homestand against the Mets, Dbacks and Reds, followed by a road trip at the Pads, Giants and Zona, then 9 at home against the Pads, Cards, and Brewers, and finish it off with 3 in LA.

Thats 22 of 31 against sub .500 teams and 19 of 32 will be at Coors field. So dont even try to touch the Rox when it comes to favorable schedules. ;D

What happened to the division? :P

Shlt, Dodgers up 6-1, Fogg sucks tonight.

Theyd probably still be suckin hind tit at 20-30 games under by now if Tracy wasnt managing this team.

Dukes
08-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Fogg just isn't going to cut it as a starter. They'll be in trouble if Cook can't come back and provide some solid innings in the coming weeks.

Paladin
08-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Before all the panties get into a bunch, lets look at the game. Fogg hadn't started a game since September of 2008. He has definitely lost a few levels of pitching skills since, but he may be a serviceable reliever for a couple oif outs. Other than that, I expect he is out of baseball next year. After Fogg left the game, the rest of the game was unsurprisingly even up. Keep in mind that the Dudgers (Ethier) beat up on a washed up pitcher. BFD. Otherwise, they had nothing else better than the Rockies.....

I do think Tracey erred in trying to get by on the cheap. The long game against the Giants took it's toll, and the Dudgers got lucky. Overall, the Rockies are still going up and the Dudgers are going down.

The Rockies are very competitive with the Dudgers........

Karenin
08-27-2009, 11:39 AM
yea, i doubt any rockies fans are making a big deal out of last night's game. nobody expected fogg to beat wolfe. losing today would kind of suck though.

TheChamp24
08-27-2009, 02:58 PM
I will be a happy camper once Wolf retires, Rockies never fared well against him. From his days to Philly til now, he seemed to always have the Rockies number.

24champ
08-27-2009, 07:30 PM
*Crickets*

:wave:

Paladin
08-28-2009, 12:18 AM
Laugh it up, clever arse. You are afraid to admit that the Rockies are very much in the same level as the Dudgers. The only difference between the teams is that the Dudgers have had better luck with the 4 and 5 pitchers than the Rockies, althhouth Hammel has held his iown even against the "Highly vaunted" suckarsed Dudgers. Further, the today's game was close. We'll see how the season plays out.

In any case, the Dudgers wont get past the Cards or the Phillies. Suck a big (richard)......

orange 4 life
08-28-2009, 05:31 PM
*Crickets*

:wave:

Nah, just too much happening with the Broncos.

Just listen to our local radio. NO ONE talking Rockies, even though a HUGE series with the Giants is about to start AND the matchup tonight is Lincecum vs. Jimenez.

Yesterday's game hurt, but I still wouldn't count the Rox out of the division.
With the favorable schedule, it might just come down to the last three games.

Either way, BOTH teams SHOULD make the playoffs. As long as the Rockies can start hitting again, the only question should be which one gets the division and which one gets the wildcard.

24champ
10-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Bump.

Hey it worked once...why not twice? ;D

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2459727&postcount=103

defenseman
10-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Go Rox!!!!!!! Another Red Sox / Rox WS classic....looking forward to it...dman