PDA

View Full Version : Sanchez in Round 1?

SportinOne
04-05-2009, 04:37 PM
It's been said time and time again, but it's worth repeating: This team needs defense. When McDaniels entertained (or innitiated, whichever "bible" you read from) trade offers for Matt Cassell he said, very loudly, that a quarterback in his system need not be extremely talented, rather, he should be smart in his decision making. I would argue that both Simms and Orton fit that mold, although Orton has a lot more experience.

Now, there has been a lot of speculation that we are targeting Sanchez with the 12, and some "experts" are even saying that we should TRADE UP to get him! Folks, this is completely ridiculous. Sanchez probably shouldn't even be a 1st round quarterback to begin with. This is an extremely weak year for quarterbacks, at least "top prospect" type quarterbacks. It makes no sense to waste our highest pick on a guy that, almost certainly, wouldn't play in '09. To boot, his ceiling probably doesn't go much higher than a guy like Orton anyway. Sanchez played for USC, Orton played for Purdue. Hype can be hard to overlook but why waste a pick on a guy who, after a season or two of learning and a wasted draft pick, will bring us little more than what we ALREADY HAVE.

Due to the fact that our defense has improved very little, and our offense just took a step back, we will likely be drafting high again next year. So why not wait for something better while using this excellent opportunity to re-stock the defense?

I'm not saying Kyle Orton is the answer. I'm just saying that, right now, this is what we have to work with. Improving over that would take time and resources that just don't make it worth it. If McDaniels can make Cassell a solid quarterback then, if we MUST draft a qb this year, why not just take a shot on a guy in a later round?

It took me a couple of days to get over Cutler leaving, but I'm on board with this team for better or for worse. I will resist the urge to say, "If we take Sanchez that is the last straw!" It wouldn't be. It would be infuriating. At this point, however, I just want to see this defense get better.

Agree or not, the poll is coming...

Punisher
04-05-2009, 04:50 PM
no

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Please.

God.

No.

DenverBrit
04-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Defense all the way.

footstepsfrom#27
04-05-2009, 04:54 PM
HELL NO! We have Kyle "Unitas" Orton!

You don't trade up for a QB unless he's a stud...I don't trust USC QB's either.

Br0nc0Buster
04-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Hell
No

Florida_Bronco
04-05-2009, 05:02 PM
No thanks.

cutthemdown
04-05-2009, 05:03 PM
I wouldn't be surprised one bit if we took Sanchez. Quick, strong arm, mobile, accurate, but could still be a bust you never know with QBs.

Broncos could draft 4 defenders in first 3 rounds and still draft a QB.

No way draft will be 10 defensive players.

Tombstone RJ
04-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Yes on QB in draft, no on Sanchez. The media and NFLN in particular just loves Sanchez. But, IMHO he's no different than other SC QB's who look good at SC but will flop in the NFL.

Sanchez seems like a good egg, but I don't think he's worth a top 10 pick. If he falls to the Broncos at 12 and the Broncos take him for whatever reason, then I'll bite my tonque and hope for the best. But, I don't think McD does this.

spdirty
04-05-2009, 05:13 PM
If both Sanchez and Raji fall, take Raji. If Only Sanchez falls, take Sanchez.

24champ
04-05-2009, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't be surprised one bit if we took Sanchez. Quick, strong arm, mobile, accurate, but could still be a bust you never know with QBs.

Broncos could draft 4 defenders in first 3 rounds and still draft a QB.

No way draft will be 10 defensive players.

Draft a QB in the later rounds, but lets not waste a pick on a bust...this guy is inexperienced and drafting him at 13 or even 18 is way too high. Rather groom/develop a later round QB. We've spent money on Simms, got Orton in a package for Cutler...now we might blow a first round pick on Sanchez? But with this regime, nothing will surprise me anymore.

Let's use our picks to address the defense....you know the defense that folded like a cheap Chinese tent last season.

Bronx33
04-05-2009, 05:16 PM
I really don't see any reason to rush into picking a early round QB defense needs some much needed attention.

cutthemdown
04-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Yes on QB in draft, no on Sanchez. The media and NFLN in particular just loves Sanchez. But, IMHO he's no different than other SC QB's who look good at SC but will flop in the NFL.

Sanchez seems like a good egg, but I don't think he's worth a top 10 pick. If he falls to the Broncos at 12 and the Broncos take him for whatever reason, then I'll bite my tonque and hope for the best. But, I don't think McD does this.

Sanchez has a pretty good arm, quick feet, and is a smart player. Met the kid after a game when he played in HS. Outgoing kid, big smile, has fun playing and communicated well with people who were much older then him. Broncos may like a kid like that right now.

He was already calling audibles very good in HS. Something which for some reason Shanny didn't seem to have him doing.

Seems to me Broncos usually ran the play the went out there to run, with maybe adjustments to the routes based on the defense, but not really audibling to passes out of runs, runs to passes etc.

Man-Goblin
04-05-2009, 05:18 PM
WOW! I am really surprised by those results!

cutthemdown
04-05-2009, 05:19 PM
I really don't see any reason to rush into picking a early round QB defense needs some much needed attention.

what would be wrong with using one pick on a QB, then a 1st round defender, a 2nd round defender, and 2 3rd round defenders?

Broncos have enough picks to grab Sanchez and draft defense.

SportinOne
04-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Sanchez has a pretty good arm, quick feet, and is a smart player. Met the kid after a game when he played in HS. Outgoing kid, big smile, has fun playing and communicated well with people who were much older then him. Broncos may like a kid like that right now.

He was already calling audibles very good in HS. Something which for some reason Shanny didn't seem to have him doing.

Seems to me Broncos usually ran the play the went out there to run, with maybe adjustments to the routes based on the defense, but not really audibling to passes out of runs, runs to passes etc.

I'm not doubting he's a great kid. Many of these players are. Although character is probably more overlooked than any other attribute, I just don't think it's enough for him.. Why not draft a high character guy with more talent in a year or two?

However, the possibility of FINALLY seeing some audibles in the Bronco offense is a great great thing, and is one of the things I am looking forward to when the McDaniels offense takes shape.

cutthemdown
04-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Draft a QB in the later rounds, but lets not waste a pick on a bust...this guy is inexperienced and drafting him at 13 or even 18 is way too high. Rather groom/develop a later round QB. We've spent money on Simms, got Orton in a package for Cutler...now we might blow a first round pick on Sanchez? But with this regime, nothing will surprise me anymore.

Let's use our picks to address the defense....you know the defense that folded like a cheap Chinese tent last season.

You don't just draft a qb in later rounds because those picks dont matter.

You evaluate every player and where they will go. Then pick guys you like that you feel will be available in each round.

There might not be any other QBS the team likes. I'd rather draft for special teams and size in the later rounds and look for gems.

Having said that I realize the Broncos no more about whats out there then me. I have watched Sanchez a lot but none of Freeman etc.

I have faith the football gods will now lead Broncos to some good players.

Broncos have 4 first round picks in the next 2 yrs. If Mcdaniels takes Sanchez or some other qb first round I have faith its because he thinks he will be really good.

I have no idea what Broncos will do but IMO the draft thin at DT and the DE seem like reaches to me.

I like the linebackers a lot so who knows. Broncos may draft 2 linebackers first round, you never know. I also think the Center Mack is a sure thing in the pros. He needs to get a bit stronger but he can probably be a good to really good center for 10 yrs.

cutthemdown
04-05-2009, 05:27 PM
I'm not doubting he's a great kid. Many of these players are. Although character is probably more overlooked than any other attribute, I just don't think it's enough for him.. Why not draft a high character guy with more talent in a year or two?

However, the possibility of FINALLY seeing some audibles in the Bronco offense is a great great thing, and is one of the things I am looking forward to when the McDaniels offense takes shape.

Obviously being he is a local kid I like him more, plus I always pull for USC and UCLA.

I have no problem with not taking a qb, but if the Broncos think Sanchez will be great you don't pass on him. I have faith they know more then me until I see players play in NFL.

You know I really like that Mack kid at center, from OR I believe. If Broncos could trade down from 18, and snag him later in round 1 that would be cool.

Crushaholic
04-05-2009, 05:28 PM
We just traded for Orton. I want to see how he'll fit in McDaniel's system before I want the Broncos to look elsewhere...

24champ
04-05-2009, 05:30 PM
what would be wrong with using one pick on a QB, then a 1st round defender, a 2nd round defender, and 2 3rd round defenders?

What's wrong is that we just chased out a QB that has more talent than Sanchez ever will...it makes ZERO sense to draft him. Particularly when McDaniels has been pretty good at grooming QBs in the later rounds.

What players have done in HS really don't mean **** Cutt. I get your a USC honk like a couple others on here and pimping your boy Sanchez...but we don't NEED Sanchez. Orton, Simms and some project in the later rounds that will be cheap...will do.

In the meantime, address the defense with some talent please.

Bronx33
04-05-2009, 05:31 PM

I didn't say not to use a pick on a QB but stay away from the 1st round QB picks i say throw it all at the defense and hopefully get it set up for years to come.

24champ
04-05-2009, 05:37 PM
I didn't say not to use a pick on a QB but stay away from the 1st round QB picks i say throw it all at the defense and hopefully get it set up for years to come.

Not to mention we already have paid Simms a generous amount of money, Orton was had in a trade where we ran off our franchise QB...now people want more money and years locked into a QB that only has STARTED 1 FULL SEASON in college? No thanks. I'll take a cheap project in the 4-7 rounds...

BMarsh615
04-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Hell no. **** no. God no. PASS!

Broncojef
04-05-2009, 05:55 PM
We need a few game changing Defensive guys. Please pass on Sanchez and focus on the defense the next couple years. I think McDaniels can spin Orton up into a real good QB that can manage his gameplan. I was really happy listening to his philosophy yesterday with Scott and Al. Al was on the ledge concerning the Broncos and by the time the interview was done he was fired up.

Spider
04-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Hell yes ..............If he can play defense

TonyR
04-05-2009, 06:02 PM
I was really happy listening to his philosophy yesterday with Scott and Al. Al was on the ledge concerning the Broncos and by the time the interview was done he was fired up.

I'd love to see a summary of this interview, or perhaps hear it. Is it available online anywhere?

Edit to note that I may have found it myself...

http://fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?ID=1078931

Tombstone RJ
04-05-2009, 06:04 PM

I don't doubt Sanchez is a good kid, what I doubt is his game translating successfully to the NFL. Aside from Carson Palmer, I can't remember the last franchise QB coming out of SC (however, Cassel and the jury is still out on him).

I suppose Sanchez could be real good QB in the NFL, he looks the part. But so did Lienhart. Lets look at SC QBs and think about how good they've been in the NFL:

Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, Sean Salisbury, Rodney Peete, Pat Haden, Matt Cassel, Bill Nelsen, Pete Beathard, Vince Evans, Paul McDonald, Todd Marinovich, Rob Johnson.

Not real impressive.

OBF1
04-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Where is the,"I will beat you with a stick if we draft Sanchez" option???

bombay
04-05-2009, 06:12 PM
QBs are a crapshoot, but I like him. If he's there I'd take him.

TonyR
04-05-2009, 06:26 PM
I was really happy listening to his philosophy yesterday with Scott and Al. Al was on the ledge concerning the Broncos and by the time the interview was done he was fired up.

Sorry to go off topic a bit here but I just listened to the inteview and if I understood correctly McD said last season the Broncos had 17 two-minute drives and scored 1 field goal. Is it possible that we were really that bad with two-minute drill drives? And if so doesn't the QB deserve a good part of the blame?

Ratboy
04-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Drafting Mark Sanchez would put me over the top. I would lose all composure.

Anaximines
04-05-2009, 06:31 PM
no no no..... I don't see this happening anyway since our coach thinks he can make any QB into a star. Speaking of, I think too much has been made of his success with Cassel - it takes three times before it's a trend

BlaK-Argentina
04-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Hackney all the way.

Gcver2ver3
04-05-2009, 06:39 PM
if we select Sanchez or any other QB in the 1st round i'll puke...

i am very much so interested to see Orton play...

if we draft QB in 1st round, we may as well had kept Cutler...

we need defense...balance this team out...

go RB in the 2nd round...

SoDak Bronco
04-05-2009, 06:49 PM
sanchez at 12 would be okay, but i don't want us to move up to get him. like mayock said on path to the draft, if you have a chance to get a franchize qb you beg borrow and steal. Kinda like the bears did to get cutler. I hope we get him. Now in an ideal world we get Raji at 12 and Tyson Jackson at 18 or maybe an impact LB.

FireFly
04-05-2009, 07:41 PM
I voted yes.

But that just means if he's the BPA. If he's there at 12 he probably will be, in which case I'd take him. I'd spew if we traded up for him, but if we sit at 12 and he's there and he's the highest ranked player on their draft board you take him IMO.

Oh and just for the record, I'm saying that we will NOT be taking Raji. There are 31 teams that know we'll probably take him if he's there at 12, which means teams know they have to move ahead of us to have a chance of taking him. Much like, when the saints (I think it was the saints) nabbed their DT of choice ahead of the Bengals last year.

Paladin
04-05-2009, 08:13 PM
There are a number of mocks out there that have the Broncos taking Sanchez at 12 and Jackson at 18. Brace at 48. I think the Bucs and Jets might want to talk to the Broncos about Sanchez at 12, But Jets might settle for Freeman at 17. I voted no because I would prefer Jackson at 12 and Peria/Ayers/Mathews at 18. Take Brace/Miller/Baker/ at 48.

NFLBRONCO
04-05-2009, 08:21 PM
I voted NO but, if he falls 8-10 I could see Josh moving up.

Rohirrim
04-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Definitely yes, if he's there at 12. But no trade ups.

Broncojef
04-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Sorry to go off topic a bit here but I just listened to the inteview and if I understood correctly McD said last season the Broncos had 17 two-minute drives and scored 1 field goal. Is it possible that we were really that bad with two-minute drill drives? And if so doesn't the QB deserve a good part of the blame?

Definitely! McD's point was the offense wasn't as good as what people blew it up to be, lots of good stats with lack of good production point wise...who knows maybe he takes Sanchez, but I think he'll give Orton and Simms a go for a year or two. Tyson Jackson and Ray Maualuga is what I'm hoping for with #12 and #18

TDmvp
04-06-2009, 01:03 AM
I think Colin Cowherd wants to make man on man love to this Sanchez kid ...

If you listened/watched Friday while him and Trent was talking about Cutler they jumped to Sanchez and there was alot of man crushing going on in that room ... Trent and Colin both , on and on about how alpha male he is , and a good looking kid blah blah blah ...

And Colin wanting us to pick him is like the kiss of death to me ....
Pass if we have to move up ... Sanchez seems like a good guy tho and skilled , but you just never know with QBs ...

Ramathorn
04-06-2009, 04:58 AM
For the love of all that is holy, NO!!! Mcdaniels already screwed the pooch with the cutler deal, he had better not go out and try to remedy the situation by getting Mark Dirty sanchez. This guy is a one year wonder IN COLLEGE! Not like cassell, who at least did it against NFL defenses. If he drafts sanchez, I'm taking a hiatus from the broncos until both are gone.

WolfpackGuy
04-06-2009, 05:26 AM
They better not pick a QB before round 3.

broncswin
04-06-2009, 05:35 AM
Definitely! McD's point was the offense wasn't as good as what people blew it up to be, lots of good stats with lack of good production point wise...who knows maybe he takes Sanchez, but I think he'll give Orton and Simms a go for a year or two. Tyson Jackson and Ray Maualuga is what I'm hoping for with #12 and #18

Anything Less Would Be Uncivilized :)

Traveler
04-06-2009, 05:37 AM
Scouts.com has a mock draft that has us making a trade with KC to move up and select Stafford.

http://profootball.scout.com/2/853317.html

Pass on both QB in this draft. Focus on defense. Please!

Broncoman13
04-06-2009, 05:38 AM
I voted no, but not b/c of a lack of confidence. On the contrary, I think he would be a very good QB in McD's system. It would also be an incredible smart PR move for the Denver Broncos. As my buddy Montrose pointed out, hispanic players in the NFL are somewhat rare. Tony Gonzalez, Jeff Garcia, Glenn Martinez, and ??? Can you imagine the national following of Sanchez wherever he ends up? You're talking jersey sales, ticket sales, and overall popularity of the team, which leads to additional prime time games. From a public relations standpoint, it would be a brilliant move... and the kid can play football. He is intelligent and a guy that would eat, drink, and $*** football.

Bottom line though, I think we should look at other positions. Even offensively, I think a RB, WR, and an OLineman is more important. I wouldn't be heartbroken if Sanchez were selected though.

C130Herkload
04-06-2009, 07:03 AM
Go with Orton this year....give him that much. Take this yrs picks, GET DEFENSE (duh...).
We still have next yrs 1st rounders to get a good look at... LOTS of good QBs then, if Orty dosent pan out. Next yr think Offense.

Sanchez isnt the answer. Look to Tx or OK or FLAnext yr for a QB.... and pray Chicago sucks this year.

gunns
04-06-2009, 07:12 AM
Where's the HELL NO option. We've got two serviceable QB's to work with this year, taking a QB in the first round or any this year is not taking the best player available and it's not fixing our D which in years to come will be a necessity to go anywhere. Wait till next year when the QB's aren't so questionable.

Hogan11
04-06-2009, 07:16 AM
Trade up and take Stafford....of course, I say that because I'm a Georgia guy ;D. It wouldn't surprise me to see the team draft a QB @ 12, but like everyone else (unless Stafford somehow falls to Denver) I want the pick spent on defense.

oubronco
04-06-2009, 07:31 AM
sure if he's there, but he won't, so what the hell pick him and trade him to someone who really wants him for better picks

Rohirrim
04-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Yeah, I would take Sanchez if he was there at 12, but I'd take my time about it and answer the phone if it rang. ;D