PDA

View Full Version : ESPN On the Clock Broncos

KansasBronco
04-05-2009, 08:51 AM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1930/On-the-Clock--Denver-Broncos.html

lex
04-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Why does everyone seem to think that we're going to replace Cutler by drafting Sanchez? Like it can just be assumed that he can step in and replace Cutler. It takes QB time to develop and he's a junior at that. Who has that kind of time? The FO owes it to the vets like Champ and Dawkins to try to fix other areas more immediately and rely on the Orton/Simms. Not only that but they owe it to the fans.

Tombstone RJ
04-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Why does everyone seem to think that we're going to replace Cutler by drafting Sanchez? Like it can just be assumed that he can step in and replace Cutler. It takes QB time to develop and he's a junior at that. Who has that kind of time? The FO owes it to the vets like Champ and Dawkins to try to fix other areas more immediately and rely on the Orton/Simms. Not only that but they owe it to the fans.

I havn't watched the clip yet, but why bother? essspin doesn't do their homework on the Broncos and they didn't do their homework on McD. McD is gonna take a QB, but not on the first day.

brother love
04-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Denver was the only team not at USC's pro day!

Rohirrim
04-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Beanie Wells? At the OSU website, they're comparing him to Jim Brown.
:spit:

lex
04-05-2009, 09:14 AM

Denver and Houston were both absent.

vancejohnson82
04-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Lex,

I agree...drafting a quarterback early would be a complete waste....so why get a first round pick for a first round QB...the trade would be a complete failure

Tombstone RJ
04-05-2009, 09:16 AM

Looks like 2 of those picks tested positive for steriods. The only reason for the Broncos to be there is if they wanted to know about some later round picks. In reality, everything you really need to know about the guys being considered in the first round are already known.

Paladin
04-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Everyone wants the Broncos to get a QB. I agree with some here: wait til next year for a QB, and do the D this year. I am not convinced that either Simms or Orton will not do pretty well with the O the Broncos have right now. I also think Well is on the "WANT LIST" for the Broncos, so I would not be surprised to see him get picked at 12. But the D line should get a lot of attention.

Everyone seems to have an opinion on what the Broncos should do. I wonder what McD's opinion really is. This morning, an article in the Post says he think the D needs improvement, and so does the O. Wouldn't it be interesting to be in the conference room with the coaches?

Rock Chalk
04-05-2009, 09:22 AM
That was a pretty retarded article.

mikeauran
04-05-2009, 09:24 AM
All I know is if they do draft a Qb, he better be Matt Ryan NFL ready.
Evidently around here if a college QB has not progressed to the level of winning playoff games in 2 1/2 years he is nothing but a complete and utter loser who will never amount to jack in the NFL.

chadta
04-05-2009, 09:28 AM
All I know is if they do draft a Qb, he better be Matt Ryan NFL ready.
Evidently around here if a college QB has not progressed to the level of winning playoff games in 2 1/2 years he is nothing but a complete and utter loser who will never amount to jack in the NFL.

you amassed all that wisdom in the 11 posts that youve made here in the 2 years youve been a member :notworthy

Hulamau
04-05-2009, 09:29 AM

That's a reasonable assessment. Perhaps they pickup a QB they are high on to develop longer term with one of the third rounders. First 4 guys need to be Defense.

Paladin
04-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Are Stafford and Sanchez the only 2 QBs in the pool this year? I have heard that Freeman has some moxie and skills. Are there no others? It seems to me that there are a lot of guys that play the position in colleges around the country, but need better or more coaching or training in techniques. The Pats' backup, (I forget his name, not Cassel) I never heard of, but he is considered to be a comer?

I think there are a few who may need some work, but could be pretty good in the right system. Freeman in the 4th, anyone? Anyone?

Majik
04-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Lex,

I agree...drafting a quarterback early would be a complete waste....so why get a first round pick for a first round QB...the trade would be a complete failure

Not if Sanchez is (and turns out to be) the franchise QB Mcdaniels wants.
Franchise QB + 5th rounder for Franchise QB + 1st rounder and 3rd rounder.
yeah complete failure ::)

I don't want Sanchez and i hope we don't draft any QB till the later rounds, but I'm not gonna proclaim anything a failure until I see on field production(or failure).

In McDaniel I trust.

ColoradoDarin
04-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Scout.com has us trading both of our picks to Kansas City of all places, to draft Mark Sanchez 3rd overall.

We'd take Sanchez, maybe, MAYBE if he drops to 12. There is zero chance that we trade up to get him.

Bill Williamson should never be taken seriously, ever.

worm
04-05-2009, 09:48 AM
A Raji-Jackson first round would make me feel a lot better about this regime.

Build the lines first guys! Don't give into temptation with skill players this year in round 1.

Rohirrim
04-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Are Stafford and Sanchez the only 2 QBs in the pool this year? I have heard that Freeman has some moxie and skills. Are there no others? It seems to me that there are a lot of guys that play the position in colleges around the country, but need better or more coaching or training in techniques. The Pats' backup, (I forget his name, not Cassel) I never heard of, but he is considered to be a comer?

I think there are a few who may need some work, but could be pretty good in the right system. Freeman in the 4th, anyone? Anyone?

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Freeman go in the first, as QB starved as this draft is.

Dudeskey
04-05-2009, 09:57 AM
A Raji-Jackson first round would make me feel a lot better about this regime.

Build the lines first guys! Don't give into temptation with skill players this year in round 1.

I'd probably injure myself attempting to do back flips if they drafted those two...

gunns
04-05-2009, 10:00 AM

I think it's Kevin McConnell or Connell that's the Pat's backup.

Crushaholic
04-05-2009, 10:06 AM
so why get a first round pick for a first round QB

We need to grab someone who can put pressure on opposing quarterbacks. Someone on defense who is deemed first round material should do the trick...

Slade
04-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Everyone wants the Broncos to get a QB. I agree with some here: wait til next year for a QB, and do the D this year. I am not convinced that either Simms or Orton will not do pretty well with the O the Broncos have right now. I also think Well is on the "WANT LIST" for the Broncos, so I would not be surprised to see him get picked at 12. But the D line should get a lot of attention.

I 100% agree with you. I want to see if McD can really turn lemons (Simms, Orton) in to lemonade (Cassel.) Lets concertrate on D this year. I think we get Raji at #12 if available or else we get an OLB. Get Jenkins at #18. Trade our 2nd rd pick to Arizona for DT Gabe Watson. And the 2 3rds we go for best available on D (S, OLB, and DE would be logical.) Obviously if Wells is available at #18, not #12, we think twice about Jenkins. Beanie would be great in our system. We do need a potential replacement for Champ though...and we are very thin at CB. Vontae Davis may slip to 2nd rd now though with positive test...so he would be an option. I still want Watson though, so trading the for a 2 would be good. I would love the first day if it was:
1. OLB Arron Maybin, OLB Brian Orakpo, OLB, OLB Brian Cushing, DE Tyson Jackson
1a. CB Malcolm Jenkins, CB Vontae Davis, OLB James Laurinaitis, OLB Robert Ayers
2. NT Gabe Watson (Trade with Arizona)
3. Best available S or CB
3. Best available DE or OLB

Free Agents
1. WR Torry Holt, WR Reggie Williams, WR Jerry Porter
- We need a 1 year insurance policy if B Marsh gets suspended.
2. OG Pete Kendall
- We need quality depth at OG in case something happens to Hamilton.
3. DE Vonnie Holiday
- A run stuffing DE would be a huge upgrade over what we have now.
4. OLB Derrick Brooks or OLB Marcus Washington
- I would like to see a vet at LB for a year or 2 to groom the young guys and provide leadership.

Kaylore
04-05-2009, 10:20 AM
I keep reading about people saying that "McDaniels loves USC quarterbacks so he's sure to try and go after Sanchez."

I'm sorry but since when does McDaniels loves USC quarterbacks? Since he coached Cassel? Does that mean he loves Michigan quarterbacks too? He liked Cassel because he was a good QB, not because he was a USC quarterback.

Personally I'm actually someone who likes Sanchez, but it's in spite of his USC ties, not because of them. Judging from the Broncos' absence from their pro-day, I think we'll take a later round developmental guy.

Anaximines
04-05-2009, 11:02 AM
That was awful. I will lose it if we draft a QB on the first day.

lex
04-05-2009, 11:11 AM
I keep reading about people saying that "McDaniels loves USC quarterbacks so he's sure to try and go after Sanchez."

I'm sorry but since when does McDaniels loves USC quarterbacks? Since he coached Cassel? Does that mean he loves Michigan quarterbacks too? He liked Cassel because he was a good QB, not because he was a USC quarterback.

Personally I'm actually someone who likes Sanchez, but it's in spite of his USC ties, not because of them. Judging from the Broncos' absence from their pro-day, I think we'll take a later round developmental guy.

Not only that but it wasnt a certainty that the Patriots were going to stick with Cassel when Brady went down. They actually brought guys in so there was some uncertainty about what they had. Maybe it was McDaniels who knew what they had and lobbied for Cassel over bringing someone else in. We may never know. But the very fact that there was some uncertainty kind of says what a bottom line business it is. And with that in mind, it doesnt really matter if he went to USC, unless of course he went to USC means he had something to work with. More than an allegiance to USC or Michigan, the bigger point is that both Brady and Cassel were low round picks. If McDaniels can make it work with Simms or Orton and then develops a low round pick, he should go a long way in validating his acumen in the eyes of those who dislike him, provided he uses picks to improve the running game and defense.

lex
04-05-2009, 11:13 AM
I 100% agree with you. I want to see if McD can really turn lemons (Simms, Orton) in to lemonade (Cassel.) Lets concertrate on D this year. I think we get Raji at #12 if available or else we get an OLB. Get Jenkins at #18. Trade our 2nd rd pick to Arizona for DT Gabe Watson. And the 2 3rds we go for best available on D (S, OLB, and DE would be logical.) Obviously if Wells is available at #18, not #12, we think twice about Jenkins. Beanie would be great in our system. We do need a potential replacement for Champ though...and we are very thin at CB. Vontae Davis may slip to 2nd rd now though with positive test...so he would be an option. I still want Watson though, so trading the for a 2 would be good. I would love the first day if it was:
1. OLB Arron Maybin, OLB Brian Orakpo, OLB, OLB Brian Cushing, DE Tyson Jackson
1a. CB Malcolm Jenkins, CB Vontae Davis, OLB James Laurinaitis, OLB Robert Ayers
2. NT Gabe Watson (Trade with Arizona)
3. Best available S or CB
3. Best available DE or OLB

Free Agents
1. WR Torry Holt, WR Reggie Williams, WR Jerry Porter
- We need a 1 year insurance policy if B Marsh gets suspended.
2. OG Pete Kendall
- We need quality depth at OG in case something happens to Hamilton.
3. DE Vonnie Holiday
- A run stuffing DE would be a huge upgrade over what we have now.
4. OLB Derrick Brooks or OLB Marcus Washington
- I would like to see a vet at LB for a year or 2 to groom the young guys and provide leadership.

Vontae Davis is a "super star". He's related to Vernon Davis.

MechanicalBull
04-05-2009, 11:31 AM
It could be worse they could have us drafting a TE. Just like when Sharpe left everyone said we were picking a TE with our 1st and now they are saying that with a QB.

I can see us taking Sanchez but I don't think we draft him.

Rabb
04-05-2009, 11:37 AM
That was awful. I will lose it if we draft a QB on the first day.

samsies

DBroncos4life
04-05-2009, 12:11 PM

Rhett Bomar is the guy that I would want the most out of this years draft. Other then him being shorter then Cutler he plays alot like him.

Steve Sewell
04-05-2009, 12:21 PM
FYI, but both Simms and Orton have lead really ****ty offensive teams to the playoffs. I think we should consider Sanchez if and only if he is available at #12. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if we gave up our #12 and picked up more picks in the process.

NFLBRONCO
04-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Any chance he really shocks and bolsters OL more.

Tombstone RJ
04-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Rhett Bomar is the guy that I would want the most out of this years draft. Other then him being shorter then Cutler he plays alot like him.

I don't know why you think for one instance that McD would even consider Bomar. Talk about a dumbazz QB. What did he do again in college ball besides get booted off the Sooners team that could compete for a national championship?

No thanks on Rhett. He sounds like all the worst qualities of Cutler.

Rabb
04-05-2009, 12:38 PM
If we are going to take a back (I hope we don't, not until later rounds at least) Shonn Greene in round 2, just sayin'

RB might be the only offensive position I could stomach, if we take a QB in the 1st, or trade picks for one I won't be that happy...I might even write a stern letter and shout angry things

DBroncos4life
04-05-2009, 12:48 PM
I don't know why you think for one instance that McD would even consider Bomar. Talk about a dumbazz QB. What did he do again in college ball besides get booted off the Sooners team that could compete for a national championship?

No thanks on Rhett. He sounds like all the worst qualities of Cutler.

Im not going to get into his "fake" job at the car lot. Something like 22 other OU players had "jobs" at this car lot over the years but only 2 got caught. OU is far from a clean program but thats not the issue. He had a pretty good showing at the combine and he had a pretty good senior year for Sam Houston State. 3400 yards and 27 TDs. He seems like he could be a pretty good middle of the road type QB in the NFL. He might not be a star but I think he can hold his own.

Arkie
04-05-2009, 12:53 PM
McDaniels said "he likes em big." Of the five 1st day picks, I hope we use three of them on "big ones" and the other two on BPAs at any position. The big ones go early and often until the small selection is gone.

Slade
04-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Vontae Davis is a "super star". He's related to Vernon Davis.

I disagree!

Vernon Davis may be the best athlete to ever be drafted. His workout was insane. Vontae is far from that...see the numbers! Being a CB see should have ran circles around his brother except in bench press.

Vernon Davis: 6'3", 254 lbs. 4.38 40 yard dash, benched 33 reps at 225 lbs. 42" vertical leap, broad jump 10' 8"
Vontae Davis: 5'11", 203 lbs. 4.4040 yard dash (at his pro day...4.49 at the combine), benched 25 reps at 225 lbs. 36" vertical leap, broad jump 10'5"

elsid13
04-05-2009, 01:10 PM
I disagree!

Vernon Davis may be the best athlete to ever be drafted. His workout was insane. Vontae is far from that...see the numbers! Being a CB see should have ran circles around his brother except in bench press.

Vernon Davis: 6'3", 254 lbs. 4.38 40 yard dash, benched 33 reps at 225 lbs. 42" vertical leap, broad jump 10' 8"
Vontae Davis: 5'11", 203 lbs. 4.4040 yard dash (at his pro day...4.49 at the combine), benched 25 reps at 225 lbs. 36" vertical leap, broad jump 10'5"

He is also a head case that got benched during his season because conflicts with the coaches. Great talent, but retard

Tombstone RJ
04-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Im not going to get into his "fake" job at the car lot. Something like 22 other OU players had "jobs" at this car lot over the years but only 2 got caught. OU is far from a clean program but thats not the issue. He had a pretty good showing at the combine and he had a pretty good senior year for Sam Houston State. 3400 yards and 27 TDs. He seems like he could be a pretty good middle of the road type QB in the NFL. He might not be a star but I think he can hold his own.

Still, no thanks. Bomar had everything at OU and they were poised to make a ligit run at a national championship and he and his stupid pal/offensive line friend are stupid enough to take pay checks from a crooked car dealer, under the table. Talk about stoooooooooopid.

I like the way Stoops handled the whole thing. Bomar did nothing after he left OU.

DBroncos4life
04-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Still, no thanks. Bomar had everything at OU and they were poised to make a ligit run at a national championship and he and his stupid pal/offensive line friend are stupid enough to take pay checks from a crooked car dealer, under the table. Talk about stoooooooooopid.

I like the way Stoops handled the whole thing. Bomar did nothing after he left OU.

That maybe but he will be drafted in the second or third round. He is a much better prospect then Freeman is.

DeusExManning
04-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Lex,

Agreed, you lose the value of the trade by drafting a quarterback, you draft one in the second or third rounds.

oubronco
04-05-2009, 01:27 PM

and who's your source

AbileneBroncoFan
04-05-2009, 01:34 PM
We should take a QB next year with one of our 2 1st rounders. This is a week QB class, but strong DE and LB class. Unless I am mistaken, those are our 2 biggest weaknesses right now. We fill holes there, let our defense gel and get a QB next year that will have a legitimate NFL defense to protect him. There are 3 QBs that will be top 10 calibur picks next year (assuming they maintain their level of play): Bradford, McCoy, and LeFevour. It is likely we will possess a top 10 pick, if not, we have the picks to trade up and get our guy. The fact that we lost our franchise QB this year does not mean we should overreact and try to replace him immediately. Cooler heads must prevail and we must take the right guy, not the first guy available.

DBroncos4life
04-05-2009, 01:35 PM
and who's your source

Austin Murphy

Bronx33
04-05-2009, 01:36 PM
We should take a QB next year with one of our 2 1st rounders. This is a week QB class, but strong DE and LB class. Unless I am mistaken, those are our 2 biggest weaknesses right now. We fill holes there, let our defense gel and get a QB next year that will have a legitimate NFL defense to protect him. There are 3 QBs that will be top 10 calibur picks next year (assuming they maintain their level of play): Bradford, McCoy, and LeFevour. It is likely we will possess a top 10 pick, if not, we have the picks to trade up and get our guy. The fact that we lost our franchise QB this year does not mean we should overreact and try to replace him immediately. Cooler heads must prevail and we must take the right guy, not the first guy available.

I Totally agree.. :thumbsup:

oubronco
04-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Austin Murphy

ZZZ...

DBroncos4life
04-05-2009, 01:40 PM
The NCAA enforcement staff discovered that atleast 17 players worked for the car delar. The former GM of Big Red, McRae claims there was 18. Other reports claim as many as two dozen.

Sorry McRae was a former GM not the owner.

DBroncos4life
04-05-2009, 01:41 PM
OU scandal unfolding

J.D. Quinn
By JOHN E. HOOVER AND GUERIN EMIG
Published: 4/6/2007 3:55 AM
Last Modified: 4/6/2007 9:05 AM

Former Big Red Sports and Imports employee talks about OU players working at the dealership.
With the University of Oklahoma's date before the NCAA's Infraction Committee just eight days away, the primary parties in last summer's scandal involving the dismissal of two football players have begun to speak.

After an interview with former offensive lineman J.D. Quinn was reported in Wednesday's Tulsa World, an extensive article on former quarterback Rhett Bomar was published Thursday on ESPN.com.

The Dallas Morning News on Thursday published a story about former walk-on receiver Jermaine Hardison in its print edition and another about former booster Brad McRae in its online edition.

Also Thursday, an ESPN interview with Bomar aired on the network's program, "Outside the Lines: First Report."

McRae, the former general manager at Norman car dealership Big Red Sports and Imports, hadn't gone on the record in two previous interviews with the World. But Thursday, McRae expressed disap pointment with the Morning News' report and disputed the claims of a former Hardison associate.

Logan Brosky, a former player at Northeastern A&M Junior College, claimed Hardison -- whom he identified to the Morning News as a former roommate and ex-NEO teammate -- regularly brought cars home from the dealership for personal use.

Brosky, a 2003 Oklahoma Coaches Association and Oil Bowl All-State linebacker at Pryor High School, also

claimed that OU players bragged about how little work they actually did at Big Red, and that McRae hosted parties and arranged limousines for OU football players who worked for him.
McRae said "none of what Brosky said is true," but said Hardison did take home cars without his knowledge.

"He did and he got fired for it," McRae told the World. "We fired the guy three times and he would come back whining, wanting his job back."

Hardison and Brosky could not be reached for comment Thursday. Calls to Brosky's parents' residences in Salina were not answered. Former OU and NEO defensive tackle Remi Ayodele, who also reportedly shared an apartment with Hardison and Brosky, told the Morning News that Hardison did not bring cars home from the dealership.

When asked if other OU players drove home vehicles from Big Red, McRae said, "I can't say for sure.

"I had 1,200 cars on the lot, so someone could take a car and you would not know it for awhile," McRae said. "Every car had a lock box on it, but everyone had a key to the lock box, so in essence they had a key to the cars. I couldn't watch 1,200 cars 24 hours a day."

Bomar, now enrolled at Sam Houston State in Huntsville, Texas, has declined multiple interview requests from the World and others. But during his ESPN interviews -- some conducted in his Huntsville residence, where he displayed his No. 7 OU jersey and his Holiday Bowl MVP trophy -- he took responsibility for his actions but also blamed McRae for fostering a free-wages environment at the dealership.

"Brad McRae knew about it," Bomar told ESPN. "It was basically, 'Don't worry about coming (to work).' "

McRae denied Bomar's claim.

"Did I tell Rhett Bomar that he could come in there and punch in and out anytime he wanted to? I did not," McRae told the Morning News. "I never liked Rhett Bomar, anyway."

The Morning News reported that McRae said he didn't know how many OU football players worked at Big Red, but the newspaper also quoted him as saying, "I had 18 guys working over there; why weren't all 18 doing it?" The NCAA enforcement staff discovered that 17 OU football players worked at Big Red from the summer of 2002 to the spring of 2006. According to its case summary, the NCAA enforcement staff alleges OU did not collect gross earning statements from 12 of those players during the summer of 2005, which kept OU from discovering the violations of Bomar, Quinn and Hardison until the summer of '06.

According to documents provided through the state open records act by OU to the Tulsa World and other news agencies, some players were clocked in at the dealership when they were scheduled to be either at practice, at offseason football workouts or in class. McRae also said informal car lot procedures allowed for players to clock in and out with lit tle or no supervision.

Work documents -- time-in and time-out sheets, as well as W2 statements and Big Red pay stubs -- had names of individuals blacked out to comply with federal privacy laws. The redacted names, however, are legible on some documents.

A review of Hardison's redacted pay stubs from Feb. 17, 2005 to July 20, 2005 shows his gross income from Big Red as $9,926 ($8,266.14 after taxes), and that he claimed at least 40 hours in 16 of the 22 weeks, including a high of 52.46 hours the week of March 3.

Bomar's redacted pay stubs indicate that from June 2, 2005 to Aug. 17, 2005, he was paid $3,421 ($2,791.36 after taxes). He turned in an average of 31.10 hours per week over that 11-week period, including a high of 45.01 hours the week of July 21.

To reinstate their eligibility, Bomar ($7,406.88) and Quinn ($8,131.17) were ordered by the NCAA to pay full restitution to a charity of their choice for the amount they were overpaid. No such demands were made of Hardison because of his non-scholarship status and the fact that he hasn't applied for his NCAA eligibility to be reinstated.

Both Bomar and Quinn also lost a year of eligibility (they sat out the 2006 season) and will have two seasons left when their careers resume this fall.

Quinn, now at the University of Montana, told the World in a telephone interview Tuesday that once the trouble started, he didn't think it would ruin his college football career.

"I knew I was going to lose some playing time -- probably a lot of playing time -- but I definitely didn't think I was going to get kicked off the team," he said.

An anonymous telephone tip to a hotline set up by the university's compliance department last year launched OU into an internal investigation, which found improprieties in employment documents filed by football student-athletes at Big Red.

An NCAA investigation followed last fall after the players were dismissed and OU reported the violations. The NCAA alleges that OU did not adequately monitor student-athletes' employment at the dealership during a span of February 2005 to March 2006.

Two months ago, the university announced self-sanctions, including the dismissal of Bomar and Quinn, the reduction of those two scholarships for one season, the reduction of off-campus recruiting visits by one assistant coach for one recruiting season, the program's disassociation from McRae for at least five years and the prohibition of players from working at Big Red.

OU representatives, including president David Boren, athletic director Joe Castiglione and head coach Bob Stoops, were requested to present their case to the NCAA at a regularly scheduled hearing of the Infractions Committee on April 14 in Indianapolis.

The NCAA informed OU in February that it "should understand that all of the alleged violations . . . are considered to be potential major violations of NCAA legislation."

Based on precedent, experts predict OU's fate -- either additional penalties levied by the NCAA or none at all -- should be known within 30-60 days of next weeks' hearing.

anon
04-05-2009, 01:55 PM

Don't we already have that in Orton and Simms?

BroncoMan4ever
04-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Lex,

agreed it just becomes trading a proven QB for an unproven QB and that is just stupidity.

i am all for drafting guy like Bomar, or Nate Davis late though

DBroncos4life
04-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Don't we already have that in Orton and Simms?

Orton maybe, but Simms sucks. Bomar has more abillity then Orton. Stronger arm and all that jazz. I was just saying if Denver took a QB this year I would prefer Rhett over the other guys.

Drek
04-05-2009, 05:47 PM

Kevin O'Connell, and he has more talent than basically every QB in this draft class combined.

He's 6'6", runs about 230, his 40 yard dash is in the 4.5's, as one San Diego journalist put it he "runs like a deer" and he's got more than enough arm to make all the throws any NFL coordinator could dream up.

His problem was that he wasn't a big time recruit so he went to San Diego St., where he played in an option offense. He actually lead his team in rushing as a senior.

He didn't know the first thing about playing QB in a pro style or even spread offense and the Pats took him in the 3rd round. That should be a clue just how much raw talent he's got.

As for our QB situation, we won't go after Sanchez. He's grossly overrated and he doesn't actually fit McDaniels' mold physically (too short) or mentally (never played in the spread).

Kyle Orton will be our QB. He's only 26, he's 6'4", he's a tough kid, and he leads his team on and off the field. I'm honestly expecting a Drew Brees goes to New Orleans level of breakout season from Orton with all the weapons he's got, coming back to a system very much like what he played in during his college years. McDaniels will take his mental understanding of the game to a whole new level, and he's a pretty damn solid QB between the years already. Giving him weapons like Marshall and Royal, with a quality OL, is just what he needs to break out.

AbileneBroncoFan
04-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Kyle Orton will go for 2k in our system.

I'll believe he is a legitimate Super Bowl calibur QB when I see it.

BroncoBuff
04-05-2009, 07:17 PM

Oh yeah, we're in GREAT shape with Josh ... :~ohyah!:

Josh has offed Jim Goodman and Jay Cutler now ... two of the best, most successful guys in the organization. At what point do we all show the appropriate skepticism about this kid-coordinator?

Archer81
04-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Oh yeah, we're in GREAT shape with Josh ... :~ohyah!:

Josh has offed Jim Goodman and Jay Cutler now ... two of the best, most successful guys in the organization. At what point do we all show the appropriate skepticism about this kid-coordinator?

24-24 last 3 seasons is your definition of success?

:Broncos:

BroncoBuff
04-05-2009, 07:44 PM
24-24 last 3 seasons is your definition of success?

Starting quarterbacks are not like starting pitchers you know ...

Jay did what he could ... he practically re-wrote the Broncos passing record book, and he clearly exceeded all of Elway's first 40 game passing stats. Doesn't that mean something to you?

lex
04-05-2009, 07:45 PM
I disagree!

I dont really see what that has to do with what I said.

Archer81
04-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Starting quarterbacks are not like starting pitchers you know ...

Jay did what he could ... he practically re-wrote the Broncos passing record book, and he clearly exceeded all of Elway's first 40 game passing stats. Doesn't that mean something to you?

Jay rewrote the passing record book because the offense was horribly balanced at times and rather than run the football to keep a lead, our HC decided stats matter more than wins. Quarterbacks are considered successful when the win. It doesnt matter if Jay plays 12 years and averages 4,000 passing yards a season if he only averages 8 friggin wins a year.

And no, the stat that matters is WINS. Elways clearly dominates Jay in this category...its the most important one. Or does that not mean something to you?

lex
04-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Jay rewrote the passing record book because the offense was horribly balanced at times and rather than run the football to keep a lead, our HC decided stats matter more than wins. Quarterbacks are considered successful when the win. It doesnt matter if Jay plays 12 years and averages 4,000 passing yards a season if he only averages 8 friggin wins a year.

And no, the stat that matters is WINS. Elways clearly dominates Jay in this category...its the most important one. Or does that not mean something to you?

If you want to say the offense was imbalanced, thats one thing (and actually true) but thats not a knock on Cutler. A QBs job is to be productive in what he's asked to do. He doesnt call plays, run the football, block, or play defense. Cutler played like a very talented young QB and gave us a chance to win a lot of games.

Drek
04-05-2009, 08:12 PM
If you want to say the offense was imbalanced, thats one thing (and actually true) but thats not a knock on Cutler. A QBs job is to be productive in what he's asked to do. He doesnt call plays, run the football, block, or play defense. Cutler played like a very talented young QB and gave us a chance to win a lot of games.

He played worse last year than he did in '07, from a "per pass attempt" standpoint.

Also, he gave us a chance to win about half the time. The other half he was as much to blame for our losses as the defense. He's a very inconsistent QB who just happens to see his worst work come down the stretch run for the playoffs.

He's got a lot to work on still. A LOT.

Archer81
04-05-2009, 08:13 PM

17 of them.

In my opinion, we got more out of chicago then we gave up.

Paladin
04-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Time will tell......

Slade
04-05-2009, 08:56 PM
I dont really see what that has to do with what I said.

I was saying that although he is related to Vernon, doesn't make him a "super star". He is not even as athletic as him.