View Full Version : Klis: Sad day? Yes, but Cutler had to go

Hulamau
04-05-2009, 01:15 AM
A good take by Klis all around ....

Klis: Sad day? Yes, but Cutler had to go
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 04/05/2009 12:30:00 AM MDT

My fingers tremble as I type this, but I disagree with John Elway.

Trading away Jay Cutler was not a sad day for the Broncos franchise or its fans.

It was a good day.

Across the football landscape, there is sentiment a team should never, ever trade away a franchise quarterback. They are the rarest of commodities to acquire. They come along once every decade, maybe two. Maybe longer, in the case of the Chicago Bears.

When one is attained, it must be treasured, not discarded.

A valid view. It's just not the correct stance in the case of McJaygate.

Never in the 50-season history of the Broncos' franchise has dealing away a player ever been more critical. True, Cutler was the best player on the team. But because he was the quarterback, he was also automatically positioned as the No. 1 leader of the locker room.

What the locker room leader was communicating, through his non-participatory protest, is nobody should play for coach Josh McDaniels.

This can't be. It doesn't matter that McDaniels is only 32 years old and has never before been a head coach. It doesn't matter if McDaniels started it all with his ill-advised meander towards the mediocre, if highly coachable, Matt Cassel.

In football, more than any other sport, a team cannot function if a coach's authority is undermined.

"I don't care if he's 20, 40, 50, 60 years old, you're the head coach," defensive end Kenny Peterson said on the first day of the Broncos' offseason conditioning program — and the Broncos' first day of forever without Cutler. "You're going to get the respect."

It was because Cutler was the franchise quarterback that he, more than any player in Broncos history, had to go.

Luckily for the Broncos, Cutler was not followed. After requesting a trade, by way of his agent, and turning in his playbook, by way of his father, Cutler has moved on to Chicago, where he is receiving savior-like treatment from a quarterback-starved city of broad, if hardly passing-efficient, shoulders.

I wish him well. There is more good inside Cutler's soul than bad. He may have issues, but so do I. He has strong parents. McJaygate provided an important reminder that youth and immaturity are sound excuses.

In time, Cutler will be fine. He has demonstrated enough on-field poise, so early in his career, to believe he will handle Chicago's enormous expectations and play well.

One other point in Cutler's favor: His holdout was not driven by greed. Despite speculation, and the presence of his agent Bus Cook throughout this saga, Cutler not once mentioned a new contract. Not even by text. The trade to Chicago was executed quickly, in no small part because there was no interference of financial negotiation.

But his actions here in the past five weeks were destructive to those he would eventually leave behind. Cutler's actions said his feelings were more important than keeping Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal as his teammates. Cutler's actions said all that protection he received from Ryan Clady, Ben Hamilton, Casey Wiegmann, Chris Kuper and Ryan Harris didn't mean as much as his own self-interest.

Cutler may think he was only bailing on McDaniels. But his actions said he also bailed on his teammates. He bailed on Champ Bailey, for cripes sake.

In return for Cutler, the Bears sent their own quarterback, Kyle Orton, to the Broncos. Upon learning of the trade, Bears middle linebacker Brian Urlacher described Orton as a good quarterback and great teammate.

"I'll take that every time," Orton said.

The most relevant point to the trade Thursday wasn't Orton and the future talent the Broncos received in return. Even after paying $14.6 million for three years of growing pains so they could develop Cutler for Chicago, the Broncos had no choice.

Their leader had to go. Cutler went to the Chicago Bears, and no other Bronco players followed him outside the Dove Valley doors.

There may have been sadness in the tale, and perhaps that is what Elway meant. But all in all, the final day of McJaygate could have been worse.

JCMElway
04-05-2009, 01:22 AM
Great article. 100% spot on.

watermock
04-05-2009, 01:55 AM
His holdout was not driven by greed. Despite speculation, and the presence of his agent Bus Cook throughout this saga, Cutler not once mentioned a new contract. Not even by text. The trade to Chicago was executed quickly, in no small part because there was no interference of financial negotiation].............

Can we finally at put THIS to rest too?

baja
04-05-2009, 02:02 AM
Well there ya go..

lex
04-05-2009, 02:10 AM
I think Klis lets the front office write for him.

Popps
04-05-2009, 02:15 AM
Most people are seeing this sensibly, at this point. The article delivers it about as well as it can be.

Cutler may think he was only bailing on McDaniels. But his actions said he also bailed on his teammates.

Of course, he's just stealing my material, again. Hoping at some point we can at least talk about a royalty split. I'm willing to be fair about it.

Kid A
04-05-2009, 02:37 AM
But his actions here in the past five weeks were destructive to those he would eventually leave behind. Cutler's actions said his feelings were more important than keeping Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal as his teammates. Cutler's actions said all that protection he received from Ryan Clady, Ben Hamilton, Casey Wiegmann, Chris Kuper and Ryan Harris didn't mean as much as his own self-interest.

This is such a damning point. If he loved playing with that set of receivers and o-line as much as he claimed, he would have been more than capable of putting up with a coach he had a little feud with. His pride, I guess, just couldn't take it, which is really sad for everyone.

You could see in Marshall's NFL network interview how disappointed he was; not only did he lose a hell of a quarterback, but Jay bailed out on what looked like a great career-long partnership.

Chicago= Front office and staff that will dote on Jay + crappy receiving corp and mediocre o-line

Denver= Front office and staff that treat Jay like a player + top notch receivers and o-line he has great chemistry with

Strange priorities. I mean I seriously don't understand. Even if I felt I had been mislead by the coach and that I might not be "his guy", that would be a pill I would be willing to swallow at least for a while given the offensive talent vs. the unknown that comes with a trade.

Bob's your Information Minister
04-05-2009, 02:42 AM
There is more good inside Cutler's soul than bad.
LOL @ some columnists. Is this Star Wars or the NFL?

Popps
04-05-2009, 02:45 AM
LOL @ some columnists. Is this Star Wars or the NFL?

Good point, man. Send him an issue of Trailer Park Illustrated, or whatever that blog is you write for. Show him some real journalism.

04-05-2009, 02:48 AM
Good point, man. Send him an issue of Trailer Park Illustrated, or whatever that blog is you write for. Show him some real journalism.

Nah, it was a good column. Fantastic, even. Summed it up rather perfectly.

That line was amusing though. OH THE DRAMA!!!

Hulamau
04-05-2009, 03:08 AM
I've had my pangs over Jay's loss as well, but he just wasn't THE guy for the Broncos ..... tantalizingly close, but no cigar in the end.

Its only natural to feel disappointed at what might have been with him in this system for years to come if only Jay's brains and character had been a little higher functioning and more mature.

But now the page is turned and it will be every bit as exciting to see the Broncos rebuilt as a better balanced 'team' and watch Orton, Simms or ..........? lead us back to the promised land. :sunshine:

baja
04-05-2009, 03:21 AM
tantalizingly close,

Sums up Jay for us perfectly.

Can't speak for anyone else but I like my Broncos better without Jay Cutler.

04-05-2009, 03:31 AM

Either way you're missing the playoffs again.

Actually, you might have had a shot at the playoffs this season had your ownership kept Shanahan.

Too bad.

baja
04-05-2009, 03:51 AM
I am very pleased with the moves the Broncos have made.

04-05-2009, 04:05 AM
I am very pleased with the moves the Broncos have made.

Hey bro, me too!

Popps
04-05-2009, 04:08 AM
Hey bro, me too!

You familiar with the term "contrarian indicator?"

extralife
04-05-2009, 04:42 AM
This is an odd piece to read from a beat writer. He's not an op-ed guy, he's the objective guy reporting facts. Besides, his livelyhood 100% depends on being in the good graces of the team. Not a bad take, regardless, but a little too dramatic and transparent.

NYBronco
04-05-2009, 05:20 AM

With the way things developed through the ordeal, I agree with you but can't help thinking how Cutler would have improved in McDaniels system. McDaniels has much work to do and mistakes will be made but I feel he is heading the team in the right direction.

DBroncos4life
04-05-2009, 05:22 AM
I love Brandon Marshall but when he starts a NFL season on the field instead of street clothes because THE NFL COMMISH SUSPENDS HIS ASS he can give an opinion about team work.

dsmoot
04-05-2009, 05:53 AM

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

Trading away Jay Cutler was not a sad day for the Broncos franchise or its fans.

It was a good day.

Across the football landscape, there is sentiment a team should never, ever trade away a franchise quarterback. They are the rarest of commodities to acquire. They come along once every decade, maybe two. Maybe longer, in the case of the Chicago Bears.

Never in the 50-season history of the Broncos' franchise has dealing away a player ever been more critical. True, Cutler was the best player on the team. But because he was the quarterback, he was also automatically positioned as the No. 1 leader of the locker room.

What the locker room leader was communicating, through his non-participatory protest, is nobody should play for coach Josh McDaniels.

This can't be. It doesn't matter that McDaniels is only 32 years old and has never before been a head coach. It doesn't matter if McDaniels started it all with his ill-advised meander towards the mediocre, if highly coachable, Matt Cassel.

In football, more than any other sport, a team cannot function if a coach's authority is undermined.

"I don't care if he's 20, 40, 50, 60 years old, you're the head coach," defensive end Kenny Peterson said on the first day of the Broncos' offseason conditioning program — and the Broncos' first day of forever without Cutler. "You're going to get the respect."

It was because Cutler was the franchise quarterback that he, more than any player in Broncos history, had to go.

Luckily for the Broncos, Cutler was not followed. After requesting a trade, by way of his agent, and turning in his playbook, by way of his father, Cutler has moved on to Chicago, where he is receiving savior-like treatment from a quarterback-starved city of broad, if hardly passing-efficient, shoulders.

I wish him well. There is more good inside Cutler's soul than bad. He may have issues, but so do I. He has strong parents. McJaygate provided an important reminder that youth and immaturity are sound excuses.

In time, Cutler will be fine. He has demonstrated enough on-field poise, so early in his career, to believe he will handle Chicago's enormous expectations and play well.

One other point in Cutler's favor: His holdout was not driven by greed. Despite speculation, and the presence of his agent Bus Cook throughout this saga, Cutler not once mentioned a new contract. Not even by text. The trade to Chicago was executed quickly, in no small part because there was no interference of financial negotiation.

Cutler may think he was only bailing on McDaniels. But his actions said he also bailed on his teammates. He bailed on Champ Bailey, for cripes sake.

In return for Cutler, the Bears sent their own quarterback, Kyle Orton, to the Broncos. Upon learning of the trade, Bears middle linebacker Brian Urlacher described Orton as a good quarterback and great teammate.

The most relevant point to the trade Thursday wasn't Orton and the future talent the Broncos received in return. Even after paying $14.6 million for three years of growing pains so they could develop Cutler for Chicago, the Broncos had no choice.

Their leader had to go. Cutler went to the Chicago Bears, and no other Bronco players followed him outside the Dove Valley doors.

There may have been sadness in the tale, and perhaps that is what Elway meant. But all in all, the final day of McJaygate could have been worse.

The Elway comment was meant to say "It is sad that the two parties involved could not work through issues that were not as significant as both sides (probably one side) made them out to be."

colonelbeef
04-05-2009, 09:03 AM
This is an odd piece to read from a beat writer. He's not an op-ed guy, he's the objective guy reporting facts. Besides, his livelyhood 100% depends on being in the good graces of the team. Not a bad take, regardless, but a little too dramatic and transparent.

welcome to the head of the nail, hammer.

this is a fluff piece designed to keep Klis in the good graces of the organization, nothing more. Those agreeing are reacting to his pandering

2KBack
04-05-2009, 09:18 AM

I agree. i know i am in the fierce minority, but I never felt right cheering for him. He just didn't seem...I dunno...cheer worthy.

Hulamau
04-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Either way you're missing the playoffs again.

Actually, you might have had a shot at the playoffs this season had your ownership kept Shanahan.

Too bad.

Well if it isn't off season blow-hard time, from the bottom feeder's fishbowl!

We'll see who is or isn't in the playoffs this year. Granted McD and the Broncos have spotted this year for getting it going again, but much stranger things have happened than a time like us make a quick turn around.

If Orton elevates his play a bit behind this line and with these weapons in this powerful offensive system AND the defense is able to move back into the middle of the pack we should indeed make the playoffs and might even surprise a lot of people.

A lot depends on the QB play and Marshall's recovery and over all how quickly the team gels around the new system. Can imagine an up and down first half of the year with some difficult games on tap, but I could easily see a mid to late season resurgence as well with a little luck in the draft and on the injury front and a real run for the money.

If Orton stays healthy I'm not concerned about having a guy who can rally the troops and get the job done, particularly with McD coaching em up and calling plays!

Would help to hit on at least 4 or 5 of the 10 picks this year as starters by week 8 (and a couple more starting more year two or three) , with at least three of them in the front 7.

Anyway, prognosticate all you want for now Bob, we all know how your predictions the last .. and well ... every year you've been spouting them have panned out! :kiss:

Pony Boy
04-05-2009, 09:38 AM
I love Brandon Marshall but when he starts a NFL season on the field instead of street clothes because THE NFL COMMISH SUSPENDS HIS ASS he can give an opinion about team work.

Bingo! People in glass houses? Marshall should of thought about the team before he threw the punch.

Tombstone RJ
04-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Seems to be some good writing coming out of Denver. Klis has written a valid article and not thrown the Broncos nor Jay under the Bus.

I'm excited for the Broncos and what Nolan is gonna do with the Defense. I'm excited about a new philosophy where the team comes first come hell or high water.

McX's next challange is the draft. The Broncos can't have a crappy draft, they have to find players for the defense.

Ironlung
04-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Bob, piss off seriously. Your team is the butthole of the NFL and everyone knows it.

Circle Orange
04-05-2009, 09:49 AM

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

It was a good day.

How was Cutler any better at his position than Champ Bailey? Give me a break.

JCMElway
04-05-2009, 09:53 AM
I think 9-7 at best and 7-9 at worst is completely reasonable. We have two very good defensive and offensive play callers now, and that should put us in some very good situations on gameday.

TonyR
04-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Compare and contrast.

Jason Campbell Is “Pissed”
Posted by Mike Florio on April 5, 2009, 8:01 a.m. EDT

Though he’s saying all the right things publicly, Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell isn’t happy that the team for which he plays pursued former Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler.

Per one source close to Campbell, the 2005 first-round pick is “pissed” about the situation.

But apparently not pissed in a way that will prompt Campbell to whine and cry for a trade of his own. As we hear it, Campbell is using the situation as motivation to make himself into a better quarterback.

If the goal is to perform as well or better than Cutler does in Chicago, Campbell actually might not have very far to go. Last year, Campbell’s passer rating was 84.3. Cutler’s was 86.0.

The difference between the two arises from the yardage and touchdowns. Cutler had 4,526 and 25, respectively; Campbell had 3,245 and 13

That said, Cutler threw 18 interceptions to Campbell’s six.

The real difference could arise from the fact that the Redskins have a much better running game, fueled by former Bronco Clinton Portis, and by the fact that the Broncos don’t have much of a defense, which forces them to throw more often.

Then there’s the fact that Campbell was learning a new offense, and Cutler wasn’t.

So maybe Campbell can close the gap on Cutler, who now finds himself learning a new offense on a team with a better running game, a better defense, and a coordinator less inclined to have the quarterback fling the ball all over the place.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/05/jason-campbell-is-pissed/

DenverBrit
04-05-2009, 10:19 AM
I think Klis lets the front office write for him.

That's because you don't have much to think with. :welcome:

DenverBrit
04-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Either way KC is missing the playoffs again.

Actually, KC might have had a shot at the playoffs this season had your ownership kept Shanahan and he let us 'back' in.......it was our only hope.
Dammit, we might have had a chance.

Awwww, afraid KC won't get to moonwalk it's way in......again?

It's the only hope that KFC franchise has.

Back to the basement with you, Boob. :curtsey:

TheDave
04-05-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm still upset how this thing got started, and even more pissed off the way that it ended.

Unfortunately the FO was eventually painted into a corner (some their fault some not)... In the end Cutler decided to leave the team and their was nothing they could do at that point but trade him. All we can do now is hope like hell they make good on the next 2 drafts.

chaz
04-05-2009, 12:52 PM
the best article about this situation yet by far. kudos to klis

Steve Sewell
04-05-2009, 01:05 PM
I've been on the Cutler side of things in my comments. However, I decided to watch "Elway's Greatest Comebacks" last night and realized that, while physically talented like Elway (but not at his level), Cutler lacks the leadership qualities that the great ones have. He'll have a nice career, but my guess is that it will show up more in stats than the things that really matter.

rastaman
04-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Most people are seeing this sensibly, at this point. The article delivers it about as well as it can be.

Cutler may think he was only bailing on McDaniels. But his actions said he also bailed on his teammates.

Of course, he's just stealing my material, again. Hoping at some point we can at least talk about a royalty split. I'm willing to be fair about it.

How can you say Cutler bailed on his team mates.....when Bowlen and McDaniels both agreed to shop Cutler around for a possible trade to land Cassel?

The facts are, the NFL is a business and with Free Agency and Salary Cap...players "Bail out" on team mates all the time.

You factor in that management do not have to sign players to guaranteed contracts, this gives management the power to force player(s) to "Bail" on their team mates.

In today's NFL everytone must realize that players as well as owners can both make a decision as to whehter they want to continue their relationship together. Did Cutler breach his contract .... yes sure he did! Did Bowlen and McDaniels breach their trust btwn themselves and Cutler...yes of course they did.

Will this same scenario happen again during the Bowlen and McDaniels era....yes of course it will. Was their a failure to communicate once that trust was broken? Yes of course there was. Was their enough blame to go around...Yes of course it was.

Rabb
04-05-2009, 01:45 PM
How can you say Cutler bailed on his team mates.....when Bowlen and McDaniels both agreed to shop Cutler around for a possible trade to land Cassel?

well, not working out with them and not even having the ****ing playbook on him is a start

sorry bud but you are blind, if you get past the actual business end of this thing which is what you mention above (the possible trade) then Jay could have done one of two things

1. man up, show up and prove you are the guy (this would have been the case, I have zero doubt had he just returned some calls)

or

2. talk through your agent, the press, play stupid when you get your bluff called then not have the sack to return the god damn playbook yourself

that seems like bailing to me, what Jay did was not business it was immature

fdf
04-05-2009, 02:45 PM

Good article. Now that the situation is over, I can reveal a little something that occurred a week or two before Cutler was traded. A Bronco that blocked for Cutler last year spoke at my son's youth group. My son asked him pointedly about Cutler. This player at first avoided the questions. But my son persisted and the player finally said: "Cutler's in the Dunce corner."

I thought that was an interesting look into how one of Cutler's fellows on the O saw the situation.

2KBack
04-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Good article. Now that the situation is over, I can reveal a little something that occurred a week or two before Cutler was traded. A Bronco that blocked for Cutler last year spoke at my son's youth group. My son asked him pointedly about Cutler. This player at first avoided the questions. But my son persisted and the player finally said: "Cutler's in the Dunce corner."

I thought that was an interesting look into how one of Cutler's fellows on the O saw the situation.

there's a juicy little tidbit

Broncos4tw
04-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Kind of funny, although all along I kept asking someone to produce something that proves he and his agent were demanding big $$$ and a new contract, no one could produce a damn thing, but I heard repeatedly it was because he was a greedy SOB that prompted him to hold out. Guess not, eh?

baja
04-05-2009, 03:28 PM

If this is true these things will all come out over the next few months.

Bronx33
04-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Kind of funny, although all along I kept asking someone to produce something that proves he and his agent were demanding big $$$ and a new contract, no one could produce a damn thing, but I heard repeatedly it was because he was a greedy SOB that prompted him to hold out. Guess not, eh?

So when was cutler due to get a big payday in denver? and now that cutler is with the bears ( does his payday come sooner?)

SonOfLe-loLang
04-05-2009, 03:40 PM
I've been on the Cutler side of things in my comments. However, I decided to watch "Elway's Greatest Comebacks" last night and realized that, while physically talented like Elway (but not at his level), Cutler lacks the leadership qualities that the great ones have. He'll have a nice career, but my guess is that it will show up more in stats than the things that really matter.

First I was sad, then I was happy......from five seconds I went from sad to happy.

frerottenextelway
04-05-2009, 03:52 PM
So when was cutler due to get a big payday in denver? and now that cutler is with the bears ( does his payday come sooner?)

He has a back loaded contract, he's due to make real good money starting next year ($4 mil roster bonus in '10 and $12 mil roster bonus in '11). I don't think this had anything to do with money.

Bronx33
04-05-2009, 03:58 PM
He has a back loaded contract, he's due to make real good money starting next year ($4 mil roster bonus in '10 and $12 mil roster bonus in '11). I don't think this had anything to do with money.

So losing shanahan and bates was probably it and the trade talks was an easy out for jay.

frerottenextelway
04-05-2009, 04:24 PM
So losing shanahan and bates was probably it and the trade talks was an easy out for jay.

Well, we know he disagreed with the firing of Shanny, but he p'bly viewed the firing of Bates as slap in the face. Bates wasn't responsible for the defense. But... they had worked that out. He was in Denver working with McDaniels in person like 2 days before trade ordeal went down. And the rest is history.

fdf
04-05-2009, 07:45 PM
If this is true these things will all come out over the next few months.

I hope not. I would hope the players would just get on with it. Slagging a departed player is what Jay would do.

Personally, I think this guy should have kept his mouth shut. But he didn't. So it's a nice look for us obsessives about the team into what the guys in the locker room think.

Of course, it may be just this one player who has that opinion. But he was willing to call his own pro-bowl quarterback "stupid" in front of a bunch of 9 year old boys and the group leaders. Of course, a QB's life depends on his OL. So it's not as if Cutler could have avenged himself on this guy. Now, if a WR said it, that would really be something.

BroncoBuff
04-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Of course, he's just stealing my material, again.

Not by a longshot ... Klis has long been reporting as an accepted fact that McDaniels actively shopped Jay around. That is light years from "your material."

Plus, you might wanna read that article again ... he regrets the loss of Jay. He doesn't revel in it, and he doesn't say, "don't say we didn't warn you, Chicago."

DenverBrit
04-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Not by a longshot ... Klis has long been reporting as an accepted fact that McDaniels actively shopped Jay around. That is light years from "your material."

Plus, you might wanna read that article again ... he regrets the loss of Jay. He doesn't revel in it, and he doesn't say, "don't say we didn't warn you, Chicago."

I'd like to see those articles.

I've heard McD state that they took the call (Tampa) but I've never seen any reliable source say they were actively shopping Jay.
Jay was the only person I am aware of saying that.........right before he demanded a trade. ;D

Rohirrim
04-05-2009, 09:45 PM

Maybe that's why Cutler left his playbook. He couldn't read it.

fdf
04-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Maybe that's why Cutler left his playbook. He couldn't read it.

LOL. I think it was a different kind of stupid. The "stupid is as stupid does" kind.