PDA

View Full Version : Roh Makes a Mock

Rohirrim
04-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Is this what I want to happen? No. I think it is a possible scenario, perhaps even logical.

1. Detroit Lions – Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
Are the Lions going to spend 1st pick money on a junior QB that did okay on his pro day, but didn’t blow anybody away? It would be fiscal suicide to do so. Stafford will be good, but “come right in and take over the position” good? No. Could he even beat out Culpepper? Face it. He’s this high in the draft because the position is thin this year. Smith looked great at the combine and wowed the NFL in interviews. This is the smart pick (think Mario over Bush). There are also other options for the Lions discussed later.

2. St. Louis Rams – Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
The Rams also don’t have much of a choice. If Smith is still on the board it’s Devaney’s pick. With Smith gone it’s Spag’s pick, and he picks the best player in the draft. The Rams have so many holes to fill, they can easily go BPA without looking back. Throw a dart at the board. Why not Stafford? Bulger’s contract.

3. Kansas City Chiefs – Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
The Chiefs have the pick made for them. With Curry gone the Chief’s woeful pass rush opens up like a gaping wound that must be repaired. Pioli doesn’t even have to bust a sweat on this one.

4. Seattle Seahawks – Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
As Craig Ferguson says, “I know!” First shock of the draft. A number four pick is too high to gamble on Crabtree’s stress fracture unless the need is overwhelming. The Hawks have been busy on the FA market. They brought in T.J. Houshmandzadeh and they’ll take another WR later, but Jones sucks and Morris went to the Lions. They need to fix that running attack. Seahawks were focused hard on Moreno at Georgia’s pro-day.

5. Cleveland Browns – Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
The need is overwhelming. With Braylon Edward’s crappy year and Stallworth turning out to be another turd, the Browns have to jump for joy that Crabtree is here.

6. Cincinnatti Bengals – Eugene Monroe, LT, Virginia
Really doesn’t need an explanation. Carson Palmer is coming back. He needs better protection than that stiff Levi Jones can provide.

7. Oakland Raiders – BJ Raji, DT, Boston College
Even Greasy Al knows that Sands and Kelly can’t cut it. They have to clog up the middle or spend another season getting torched on the ground. Repairing the worst rushing defense in the league starts up front.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars – Michael Oher, LT, Mississippi
Stafford continues to drop and the crowd mumbles. So does Andre Smith. Oher is the best tackle left on the board. The Jags make the obvious pick. Obvious to me, anyway. ;D

9. Green Bay Packers – Everette Brown, OLB, Florida State
With Cutler coming into the division, the Packers pass rush needs are moved to the front burner.

10. San Francisco 49ers – Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia
The Niners stumble three times rushing this pick to the podium and Stafford gets out of the glare of the ESPN spotlight with Kiper bloviating over and over again, “I’m not surprised at all he’s still there.”

11. Buffalo Bills - Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
The Bills are going to take Jackson’s performance on the field at LSU over his bench reps at the combine. Maybe they have film of his performance against OSU in the BCS Championship game. The Bills have got to start generating some push from the corners.

12. Denver Broncos - Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC
And Broncos fans howl! Nolan knows more about this position than any of us fans (or most of us, I’m guessing). When all the nitpicking is said and done, Rey is a force in the middle. There’s just no denying it. He is scary. He must be gameplanned for by every offense that faces him. Ask the coaches in the Pac 10 what they think of him. The dude puts a stamp on Nolan’s new D. Tickets get sold, baby! The OM won’t like it, but Bronco Nation will love it.

Note: Somewhere around here somebody (Jets? Bucs?) is going to want to trade up for Sanchez.

13. Washington Redskins – Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
Andre should keep dropping, but Snyder, once again, thinks he knows more than everybody else.

14. New Orleans Saints – Beanie Wells, RB, Ohio State
They cut the Deuce and slide Beanie into his place.

15. Houston Texans – Peria Jerry, Somewhere on the D Line, Mississippi
I really don’t want to think too much about Peria and Mario on the same D line. This could get ugly.

16. San Diego Chargers – Brian Cushing, ILB, USC
This is an upgrade at the position for them and a value pick.

17. New York Jets – Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
I think they’ll trade up and take him earlier, but this is a no-trade draft, so…

18. Denver Broncos - Malcolm Jenkins, CB/FS, OSU
I can hear it now; “Jenkins will never fall this far you moron because I’m God and I know where everybody is going to go in this draft!” How many scouts have said these words – “Jenkins might have to move to FS in the pros?” In my experience, when enough scouts say that about a player, he slips. Anyway, Jenkins will learn a lot from Champ and Dawkins. I see him at FS.

Note: Actually, we’ll probably trade this pick so Detroit can jump TBay and take Freeman. But it will cost them. ;D

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas State
Griese gets to train another QB. McKown is in a huff and demands to be traded, but nobody will answer the phone.

20. Detroit Lions – Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
You and I both know the Lions have the draft juice to take Smith in the top slot and still trade later into the right place to take Josh Freeman. It’s the smart play for them. Pay tackle money for the top slot and get Freeman cheaper. Anyway, in a no trade, they’re happy to find this bookend for Calvin still on the board. They'll be in the same boat next year and can use their high draft pick on a better class of QBs. Culpepper or bust!

21. Philadelphia Eagles - Eben Britton, OT, Arizona
The need here is overpowering. They’ve got to replenish that line or they have zero hope of beating the Cardinals, or anybody else, for that matter.

22. Minnesota Vikings - Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
Yes, we all know Childress will screw this up, but I’m being an optimist.

23. New England Patriots – Clay Matthews, LB, USC
No brainer. This is a Patriots type of player. He could kick Bruschi’s ass. ;D

24. Atlanta Falcons – Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State
The Falcons are one TE away from being an ass-kicking offense’ even if they have to overlook a few, minor character flaws. I mean who hasn’t wanted to shove a cop at one point or another?

25. Miami Dolphins – DJ Moore, CB, Missouri
With Renaldo Hill and Andre Goodman gone, they need to address the corner in the first round.

26. Baltimore Ravens – Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
What do you give the hot rookie QB on your draft list? A new toy to play with.

27. Indianapolis Colts – Donald Brown, RB, Connecticut
Nobody ever knows what Polian will do, so it’s always a crapshoot. He should take a WR or a CB, but I’m guessing he’s tired of Addai’s and Rhodes’ “three yards and a cloud of Astroturf.” He wants to see the running attack improve. How can you fail picking the NCAA’s leading rusher?

28. Philadelphia Eagles - William Moore, FS, Missouri
Dawkins got off to somewhere. They can’t find him. They have to replace him, or at least try. ;D

29. New York Giants – James Laurenitis, LB, OSU
They’re just too beat up at the position to pass on Laurenitis.

30. Tennessee Titans – Sean Smith, CB, Utah
Some needs are just too strong to ignore.

31. Arizona Cardinals – Alex Mack, C, California
Kurt has been stepped on too many times.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers – Max Unger, C, Oregon
Unger can play just about anywhere along the line.

NFLBRONCO
04-04-2009, 08:24 PM
NFLN had Wells going 4th so I think your on to something with your Mock

lex
04-04-2009, 08:36 PM
NFLN had Wells going 4th so I think your on to something with your Mock

I think Seattle goes after a tackle. Walter Jones is 35. They just signed Houshmanzadeh and they need to make sure they can cash in on that investment.

Broncoman13
04-04-2009, 08:56 PM
If we pass on Maclin at #12 I'd be surprised, if we pass on him again at 18 I'd be pissed!

Based on what you have going on there (which is unique, I'll give you that!!!) I'd take Sanchez at #12 and Maclin at #18.

ludo21
04-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Moreno a top 5 pick?

No way do I see that happening. Seattle might pass on Crabtree, but I doubt they pass on OT, or Raji (unless the pot knocks him more than im thinking)

worm
04-04-2009, 09:32 PM
If we pass on Maclin at #12 I'd be surprised, if we pass on him again at 18 I'd be pissed!

Based on what you have going on there (which is unique, I'll give you that!!!) I'd take Sanchez at #12 and Maclin at #18.

If we take two offensive players taken in the 1st...I will be pissed.

worm
04-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Moreno a top 5 pick?

No way do I see that happening. Seattle might pass on Crabtree, but I doubt they pass on OT, or Raji (unless the pot knocks him more than im thinking)

I like Moreno. Even better than Wells. I had the Saints take him at #14 in OM Mock II (although I think Wells would be a good pick as well at #14).

At #4..even I think that is to early for either RB.

Broncoman13
04-04-2009, 09:48 PM
If we take two offensive players taken in the 1st...I will be pissed.

Oh I agree, but based on talent (Sanchez is a franchise QB) and Maclin is, in my eyes, a top 5-10 talent.

Kind of like if Jason Smith were to fall to #18... not a need, but you take him anywhere and find a spot for him along the line.

If we knew for sure that BMarsh was not going to get suspended, I would be alright with passing on receiver all together, but you never know with Brandon!

Anaximines
04-04-2009, 09:56 PM
I'd be very happy with these selections

OBF1
04-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Just say no to the Bronco's and offense in the 1st round.

TheDave
04-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Just say no to the Bronco's and offense in the 1st round.

or 2 or 3... As bad as Slowick was I have never seen such a pathetic collection of tallent as last years D.

One good thing... even if our FO doesn't hit on our picks even a certifiable bust is an upgrade in most positions. ;D

bpc
04-04-2009, 10:37 PM
barf.

Moreno is going to be bust. So is Maualuga.

Rohirrim
04-04-2009, 11:11 PM
barf.

Moreno is going to be bust. So is Maualuga.

God speaks! ;D

Rohirrim
04-04-2009, 11:15 PM
What does everybody think of the Lions taking Smith with the first pick and then trading up, using the 20 and probably a third, to grab Freeman? I think that would be a smart thing for them to do, both for the picks, and the money. I figure their 20 and their 65 would get them up to about the 13th pick.

dekers
04-05-2009, 12:27 AM
What does everybody think of the Lions taking Smith with the first pick and then trading up, using the 20 and probably a third, to grab Freeman? I think that would be a smart thing for them to do, both for the picks, and the money. I figure their 20 and their 65 would get them up to about the 13th pick.

if that happenes let them have the 12 th and we would then have the 18 and the 20 plus 65

Paladin
04-05-2009, 10:07 AM
I think the mullets would go for Crabtree. They have a QB of sosrts, and probably figure to get Crabtree to make them a better threat om O. The rest of their draft would likely be D or Oline. So, if they take Crabtree, that changes the dynamics of the draft.

Browns take Monroe, and the whole thing changes. I do think that the Bucs would go for Sanchez at 12. I would want their 1 and 2 to do it.....

The Jets would probably want to try and move up for Sanchez, and I think that will be the "battle" of the draft, and I hope it drives Kipper crazy. Who the Broncos would take after that would really be big quesitons, but I would think mostly D, probably Mathews at 18.....

Rohirrim
04-05-2009, 10:18 AM
I think the mullets would go for Crabtree. They have a QB of sosrts, and probably figure to get Crabtree to make them a better threat om O. The rest of their draft would likely be D or Oline. So, if they take Crabtree, that changes the dynamics of the draft.

Browns take Monroe, and the whole thing changes. I do think that the Bucs would go for Sanchez at 12. I would want their 1 and 2 to do it.....

The Jets would probably want to try and move up for Sanchez, and I think that will be the "battle" of the draft, and I hope it drives Kipper crazy. Who the Broncos would take after that would really be big quesitons, but I would think mostly D, probably Mathews at 18.....

That's part of the reason I went with a breakup of the "accepted" first five picks. If one team in that top five does the unexpected, the whole thing unwinds in a different way. Of course, we can always depend on at least one team to pull off some kind of ridiculous reach, taking a third round pick in the first. It seems like every year, across all the draft sites, a consensus is built among the "experts" on how the picks will unfold. Then, on draft day, it's always obliterated. That's what makes it so entertaining. ;D

I still think the strategy I've laid out for the Lions makes the most sense. Of course, they're so snake bit with their draft history, they'll just make the pick that everybody tells them to make.

cmhargrove
04-05-2009, 10:41 AM
You have Maualuga going before Jenkins? And we pass on a potential QB at 12?

No smokey de crack, bro..

If we did pull the trigger on Maualuga, I think he is still there at 18. Also, I feel like we need to fill holes on the D-line or at OLB more than ILB.

For the success of the team, I could make a potential argument for Wells over Maualuga in a heartbeat, especially since he has already been in for a private workout.

We'll see really soon how the new guys choose to draft, but Maualuga at #12 seems a reach on most everyone's board these days. He would be a good value near the end of the first/beginning of the second round. Jenkins makes sense, but he might be gone by 18.

TheDave
04-05-2009, 10:51 AM
FWIW this mock is just as good as any other at this point. The Talent pool in this draft is pretty consistent from about 5-40. Right now it's all ice cream... teams are just picking which flavor they like.

Rohirrim
04-05-2009, 11:11 AM
You have Maualuga going before Jenkins? And we pass on a potential QB at 12?

No smokey de crack, bro..

If we did pull the trigger on Maualuga, I think he is still there at 18. Also, I feel like we need to fill holes on the D-line or at OLB more than ILB.

For the success of the team, I could make a potential argument for Wells over Maualuga in a heartbeat, especially since he has already been in for a private workout.

We'll see really soon how the new guys choose to draft, but Maualuga at #12 seems a reach on most everyone's board these days. He would be a good value near the end of the first/beginning of the second round. Jenkins makes sense, but he might be gone by 18.

All we know is what the draft boards of the draftniks on the internetz look like. None of us knows what the team boards look like. I'm surprised every year when a team takes a guy in the first who is a consensus third round pick. Plus, there's mis-information being spewed out every year. Take last week when somebody started a rumor through the NFLDraftBible.com that Cushing and Matthews tested positive for steroids. The NFL testing authority's statement says that the DraftBible couldn't possibly have that info because they have not released their reports to any of the teams. http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/03/nfl-issues-a-statement-on-drug-rumors/
Rey has been a star on the Trojan's D for years now. The terror of the Pac 10. Suddenly he's not all he's cracked up to be, he has problems, maybe it's just the team is good and he's not, blah, blah, blah. Happens every draft. Hell, I've heard some people say Josh Freeman is the best QB in the draft and Beanie Wells is the second coming of Jim Brown. As far as Jenkins goes, like I said, half the scouts out there aren't sure if he's a CB or a FS. Maybe Jenkins will be different, but in the past, when a guy doesn't have a defined position, he drops. Teams don't like to feel unsure about first round picks.

cmhargrove
04-05-2009, 02:44 PM
All we know is what the draft boards of the draftniks on the internetz look like. None of us knows what the team boards look like. I'm surprised every year when a team takes a guy in the first who is a consensus third round pick. Plus, there's mis-information being spewed out every year. Take last week when somebody started a rumor through the NFLDraftBible.com that Cushing and Matthews tested positive for steroids. The NFL testing authority's statement says that the DraftBible couldn't possibly have that info because they have not released their reports to any of the teams. http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/03/nfl-issues-a-statement-on-drug-rumors/
Rey has been a star on the Trojan's D for years now. The terror of the Pac 10. Suddenly he's not all he's cracked up to be, he has problems, maybe it's just the team is good and he's not, blah, blah, blah. Happens every draft. Hell, I've heard some people say Josh Freeman is the best QB in the draft and Beanie Wells is the second coming of Jim Brown. As far as Jenkins goes, like I said, half the scouts out there aren't sure if he's a CB or a FS. Maybe Jenkins will be different, but in the past, when a guy doesn't have a defined position, he drops. Teams don't like to feel unsure about first round picks.

I'm with ya, but I just feel like we have anough firepower on the inside (linebackers), and not nearly enough on the outside.

1) the team has already openly committed to DJ, and he looks like a perfect WILB in this scheme.
2) Andra Davis is getting old, but he knows the position well and posted over 130 tackles last year. He is a solid producer.
3) Larsen and Woodyard could compete for backup spots.

OLB is really unsettled. We have two or three former DE's who haven't shown they can make the transition yet, and a possible converted DT from Indy. OLB's are usually the sack leaders of and 3-4 and we need help there - badly.

The D-line needs talent, lots of it. So, I think we need to even overspend on any Dt's, DE's, or OLB's that will make this whole thing run. Spend on the D-line (front 5) and we will succeed this year. Ignore the d-line and we are screwed.

Also, no one is talking about safety any more. We got some older vets, but we really need to develop some young replacements. Delmas, Chung, Johnson, and Moore would be great targets to learn for a year behind our vets.

skpac1001
04-05-2009, 03:04 PM
I know its not popular around here, but I am starting to like Maualuga more and more for us (especially with us having 2 first rounders now) and Jenkins would be a great, versatile pick. Having Maualuga at Ted is a serious upgrade talent-wise and would go far to helping us deal with inside runs without a elite NT. I like him better at 4-3 MLB then Davis, so that adds to our versatility, so we can use the same personnel to run 3-4 fronts or 4-3, the defense won't be clued in by personnel. I would love the intimidation he would instantly bring to our defense also. And since apparently Nolan likes to use his ILB to blitz as well as OLB's, I think Maualuga screaming in on Rivers while DJ is covering the zone in the middle sounds fun.

Paladin
04-05-2009, 03:31 PM
I like the screaming part.....

I think the Broncos will keep 18. They may get an offer they can't refuse for 12 and move down a bit. As I said earlier, I think if Sanchez is there, theh Broncso will have more options than the Bud Wilkerson Okie teams. That is where the test of the FO will be; can they get the best deal and then how do they maximize the pick.........