PDA

View Full Version : Would you be pissed if Denver goes offense in r1?

p7superfly
04-04-2009, 01:50 PM
It's possible that we didn't attend the USC pro day, and are hyping Orton for the same reason ... smoke screen.

We might really want Sanchez. Seattle might take him at 4, or SF at 10, or a team might trade w/ the Bills to jump us ...

But would you be upset if the Broncos ended up going BPE and grabbed Sanchez, or Crabtree if they slip ... then at 18 grabbed Beanie Wells?

I think I'd be okay with it. For some reason, all of NFLN thinks the Broncos should mortgage a lot for Sanchez. If he falls, great.

Thoughts? Would we flip out of we ended up with Sanchez or Crabtree, and the best RB in the draft? Our offense would be set for a decade - assuming you believe in Sanchez. I don't know enough.

fido
04-04-2009, 01:51 PM
no....defense

skpac1001
04-04-2009, 01:58 PM
I would be fine with it. If a offensive guy has more value to the team then a defensive guy with a certain pick, you take him. I like alot of second-third round defensive guys almost as much as most of the 1st rounders, so I would wait till the first 3 rounds are over before freaking out.

Br0nc0Buster
04-04-2009, 02:04 PM
yes
I dont want any part of Sanchez
and RBs are not durable enough to warrant top picks unless they are like Adrian Peterson or Tomlinson

We need defense, defense, and more defense

lex
04-04-2009, 02:10 PM
It's possible that we didn't attend the USC pro day, and are hyping Orton for the same reason ... smoke screen.

We might really want Sanchez. Seattle might take him at 4, or SF at 10, or a team might trade w/ the Bills to jump us ...

But would you be upset if the Broncos ended up going BPE and grabbed Sanchez, or Crabtree if they slip ... then at 18 grabbed Beanie Wells?

I think I'd be okay with it. For some reason, all of NFLN thinks the Broncos should mortgage a lot for Sanchez. If he falls, great.

Thoughts? Would we flip out of we ended up with Sanchez or Crabtree, and the best RB in the draft? Our offense would be set for a decade - assuming you believe in Sanchez. I don't know enough.

We just lost our biggest offensive weapon. For our offense to continue to click and even improve, we need to upgrade the running game. And really, we should have been doing that anyway. We were way too pass happy last year. We should take Wells at 12 and then either Mack, Jackson, or a LB with our next pick. Raji is too much of a risk and may not even be a true two gapper.

But as far as Sanchez goes, its not likely he's going to start this year so we should really avoid taking a QB in the first. Not onlyt that, but taking a QB there means we didnt really gain anything by trading Cutler. QBs take time to develop and we need to be sensible with how we get things on track. Pats sending out letters to fans, so obviously there is concern about fan unrest. Making us endure a rookie QB go through a learning curve undermines that concern.

NFLBRONCO
I'd rather trade down and stockpile picks.

If Sanchez is available at 8 or 9 I wouldn't be mad if we jumped up and grabbed him. Any higher or packaging both #1's no thanks.

As far as Crabtree I'd be ok with it if he's there at 12 but, not trade up.

RB at 12 or 18 wouldn't bother me if he is clearly BPA but, I think we can address it at 48.

With our new FO anything is possible.

p7superfly
The more I think about it, the more I'd be cool with Crabtree, Wells and Brace.

Mayock has Crabtree falling out of the top 10 to Maclin and Heyward-Bey. If he's there at 12, how can you not pounce? Before his foot injury, he might have been the #1 pick in the draft ...

And if Wells slides to 18? Nab him. Use all the other picks on defense, including next year.

If we played our cards right, we could get Cody and our next QB franchise in next year's draft.

I just don't think we'll be able to make a significant difference with a new scheme, mish-mash, mismatched personnel in a single year to just say, "We have to go defense, no matter what..." We need D-Linemen, but there aren't many to be had.

I think since we're re-building, we should go best player available. Even if its offense.

lex
04-04-2009, 02:12 PM
The more I think about it, the more I'd be cool with Crabtree, Wells and Brace.

Mayock has Crabtree falling out of the top 10 to Maclin and Heyward-Bey. If he's there at 12, how can you not pounce? Before his foot injury, he might have been the #1 pick in the draft ...

And if Wells slides to 18? Nab him. Use all the other picks on defense, including next year.

If we played our cards right, we could get Cody and our next QB franchise in next year's draft.

I just don't think we'll be able to make a significant difference with a new scheme, mish-mash, mismatched personnel in a single year to just say, "We have to go defense, no matter what..." We need D-Linemen, but there aren't many to be had.

I think since we're re-building, we should go best player available. Even if its offense.

Because we already have Marshall and Royal. And Im not even so sure he wont be a bust.

BroncoMan4ever
04-04-2009, 02:23 PM
i would gladly take Wells at 12.

i say no to Sanchez and Crabtree though. i would rather pick up extra picks trading back for a team that wants either of these guys if they slip to 12

p7superfly
04-04-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm worried about Marshall's hand. He really hurt himself, and I think it's permanent damage. That hand will be partially numb forever. It explains many of his drops on quicker passes.

McD loves a blocking TE (Graham), three WR (Marshall, Royal and Crabtree would strike fear into the hearts ...) a versatile, powerful, good blocking RB (Buckhalter, Arrington, Hillis, BEANIE?!) for his pick routes.

I say you risk the bust. I'm officially on the "I hope Crabtree falls to us" bandwagon. That would be insane.

SouthStndJunkie
04-04-2009, 02:35 PM
I am fine with using one of our first round picks on an impact offensive player....we just lost our best offensive weapon.

PRBronco
04-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Yes I would flip out, but if it was Beanie or Knowshon with the 18th pick I would probably warm up to it after a few hours of Hulk smashing.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-04-2009, 03:09 PM
I think they take Wells, so no I wouldn't be pissed.

I'll be pissed if they move up for Sanchez. If Denver loved Sanchez as much as some claim, Cutler would be in Detroit now and Denver would have the 1st overall.

Paladin
04-04-2009, 03:12 PM
If Sanchez or Crabtree are there at 12, I could see a trade getting a 19 or 21 pick with a two or three pick kicker. Not bad. Getting a DE or LB and Brace seems to me to be priorities. After that, I leave it to the more obsessive members of our ensemble here to guide me to the promised land with championships galore. Well, maybe.....

gunns
04-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Yes I will go ballistic. I will have my meltdown time. Probably need the paper bag for hyperventilation. Until we focus on that defense it doesn't matter who we put behind center. It was the Broncos downfall last year and Shanahans.

If we were to take Crabtree I would probably really lose it. DO NOT TAKE A WR IN THE FIRST ROUND. I do not care who it is. WR's are a dime a dozen.

Paladin
04-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Don't be eating or drinking anything when the Broncos' pick comes up.....

(Here at CBS, we care.......)

TheDave
04-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Speaking of Offense... Have we resigned Wiegman?

I have an odd suspicion that we might go after Mack or Unger. I think McDaniels might want a little more size in the middle.

meangene
04-04-2009, 03:25 PM
I would not have a problem with it at all. In fact, I fully expect us to take a RB and WR in the first three rounds. I think one of the main reasons we were so poor in turning offensive yardage into points was the lack of an effective running game. It has been some time since we had a franchise back. A more balanced attack leads to ball control and can help mask a lot of defensive deficiencies. Talented as Marshall is, we don't know how much time he will miss if suspended - could well be half the year. He is coming off a serious hand injury followed by hip surgery and has not demonstrated he can keep himself out of trouble. We still have plenty of picks with which to fill defensive needs.

lex
04-04-2009, 03:28 PM
I would not have a problem with it at all. In fact, I fully expect us to take a RB and WR in the first three rounds. I think one of the main reasons we were so poor in turning offensive yardage into points was the lack of an effective running game. It has been some time since we had a franchise back. A more balanced attack leads to ball control and can help mask a lot of defensive deficiencies. Talented as Marshall is, we don't know how much time he will miss if suspended - could well be half the year. He is coming off a serious hand injury followed by hip surgery and has not demonstrated he can keep himself out of trouble. We still have plenty of picks with which to fill defensive needs.

I think Thomas is slotted to go in the 4th or 5th. elsid has been big on him. I like Barden but it seems like elsid's guy might be better for the spread.

meangene
04-04-2009, 03:45 PM
I think Thomas is slotted to go in the 4th or 5th. elsid has been big on him. I like Barden but it seems like elsid's guy might be better for the spread.

My guy is Robiskie. I think he is the most NFL ready and we need someone who can step in right away. I also think we need to be looking at outside guys since Stokely and Royal can both play in the slot. Patrick Turner and Derrick Williams might be some nice picks a little later. I was real high on Brandon Tate of UNC before he got hurt.

bronco610
04-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Pissed would not even begin to describe it !!!

Drek
04-04-2009, 04:25 PM
If Crabtree slid to #12 we'd be foolish not to take him. He might bust but then so could anyone else, he also might be the next Larry Fitzgerald where Marshall gets to play Anquan Boldin 2.0. Adding Eddie Royal to the slot was a Wes Welker type in McDaniels's offense and we'd tear teams apart.

You just can't pass up that kind of value.

I don't like the idea of trading up unless we're grabbing Aaron Curry, and even then I'd be iffy on moving both firsts to do it. One of the thirds? Sure. Our 2nd? Probably. But not both firsts and even if we did move up for him I'd then want to trade back on the other first to add more picks.

But for offensive players in general, if Crabtree is at #12 you got to do it. If Wells is at #18 I think you have to as well.

Speaking of Offense... Have we resigned Wiegman?

I have an odd suspicion that we might go after Mack or Unger. I think McDaniels might want a little more size in the middle.

I'm expecting us to grab Eric Wood, probably with our first 3rd. He's the second best OC in this class at handling big powerful DLs (like 3-4 NTs) behind Mack and he'll come at a much lower price. Weigmann will be retained, his agent seemed pretty sure they'd work something out, but he's only got another year or two left in him. Wood will be a perfect replacement.

gyldenlove
04-04-2009, 05:02 PM
I wouldn't mind Moreno or Wells at number 18 or Crabtree at number 12, other than those 3 I don't really see good value.

broncos-rock
04-04-2009, 05:19 PM
McDaniels said on Dave Logans show that they will take whatever player that fills a need first and he said that it does'nt mean they will not take offense because that needs to improve as well.

oubronco
04-04-2009, 05:46 PM

I would shyt myself if we got Crabtree

orinjkrush
04-04-2009, 05:53 PM
given McD's meddling with the O more than the D so far....

I think Beenie Weenie is getting a hard look.

Just say no to Sanchez, though. Trading two #1s for one rookie QB doesn't seem to make sense. Get two for sure starters.

elsid13
04-04-2009, 06:03 PM
given McD's meddling with the O more than the D so far....

I think Beenie Weenie is getting a hard look.

Just say no to Sanchez, though. Trading two #1s for one rookie QB doesn't seem to make sense. Get two for sure starters.

It wouldn't take two number 1s to move up. It would take the 12 and one third and maybe a pick next year.

NFLBRONCO
04-04-2009, 06:03 PM
I understand NFLN thinking we will need a new starting QB but, shouldn't we bolster D alot first??????

elsid13
04-04-2009, 06:07 PM
I understand NFLN thinking we will need a new starting QB but, shouldn't we bolster D alot first??????

Are we really going to add to the defense?

look at the front 7 -

LB
DJ Williams - starting ILB
Larson/Davis/Woodyard - starting ILB
Bailey/Moss -OLB
Doom/Reid/?

on the line
LE/UT - Thomas/Crowder/
NT - Fields/Powell
RE- ?/ Peterson

I expect a more offense heavy draft then most believe it will be.

lex
04-04-2009, 06:22 PM

look at the front 7 -

LB
Bailey/Moss -OLB
Doom/Reid/?

on the line
LE/UT - Thomas/Crowder/
NT - Fields/Powell
RE- ?/ Peterson

Thats the thing that Ive also mentioned a number of times. Some of the guys arent great fits but theyre too difficult to get rid of either because they make nothing or because of their contract. I question whether or not DJ will be or should be starting. I think if his contract were more tradeable, he'd be gone. He's not a good rush LB and he hasnt done well when playing in the middle either. He could be ok (not great) but he seems better suited for a 4-3 Will. Im guessing we also have to make do with Boss because of his contract.

Meanwhile you have Moss and Dumervile who have potential and who are already on the roster for rush LBs, especially Doom. But we dont even know we need a rush LB with these guys on the roster. We may not. That doesnt mean we shouldnt consider rush LBs or draft for depth but it may be unnecessary.

Woodyard and Larsen are both too cost effective to let go of. Larsen seems well suited enough for ILB that it makes you reluctant to spend too high of a pick on an ILB.

Dukes
04-04-2009, 06:48 PM
I'll be most upset if we get a cornerback (Malcolm Jenkins). Enough with addressing the backfield before addressing the line.

UboBronco
04-04-2009, 09:49 PM
I know I am not in the majority.... If we get Sanchez, without trading up, I would love that... But in a shocking statement, there is one offensive player I believe could change our offense to the next level... It is Percy Harvin.... He can be a runningback, Wide receiver... Already a return person. I feel he will make the league forget about Reggie Bush, Deven Hester, Dante Hall, Joshua Cribbs...... I just feel he is way above all of those players. No play with him in the game would safe for a defense. You would have Marshall, Royal ( I think my new favorite player) and Harvin would be such a threat.... Put Hillis in the backfield for pass protection, outlet, and getting the tough yard or two, it will not matter that we do not have a gunslinger, but a team Quartback, and our offense will truely be dynamic.

On defense, I want Connor Barwin... He is a player of all positions, and has the Urlacher mentality, could be a linebacker, Defensive end... or a tight end on offense... Just the type of FOOTBALL player our team needs.

Only my opinion, but if it is offense... Sanchez is fine if he falls to us, but Harvin is a must if we have the luxury in the coaches minds to not have to go defense with the pick.

NFLBRONCO
04-04-2009, 09:59 PM
I know I am not in the majority.... If we get Sanchez, without trading up, I would love that... But in a shocking statement, there is one offensive player I believe could change our offense to the next level... It is Percy Harvin.... He can be a runningback, Wide receiver... Already a return person. I feel he will make the league forget about Reggie Bush, Deven Hester, Dante Hall, Joshua Cribbs...... I just feel he is way above all of those players. No play with him in the game would safe for a defense. You would have Marshall, Royal ( I think my new favorite player) and Harvin would be such a threat.... Put Hillis in the backfield for pass protection, outlet, and getting the tough yard or two, it will not matter that we do not have a gunslinger, but a team Quartback, and our offense will truely be dynamic.

On defense, I want Connor Barwin... He is a player of all positions, and has the Urlacher mentality, could be a linebacker, Defensive end... or a tight end on offense... Just the type of FOOTBALL player our team needs.

Only my opinion, but if it is offense... Sanchez is fine if he falls to us, but Harvin is a must if we have the luxury in the coaches minds to not have to go defense with the pick.

I'd love Harvin here he is my sleeper pick @ 18.

If Sanchez is available at 9 I could see trade up but, I think Jax takes him.

Shoemaker
04-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Given how angry the defense has made me the last few years and the opportunity we have with two first round picks, I think at first I'd be annoyed if we used one pick on offense and I'd probably blow a gasket if we used both. My dream draft for the first round would be some combination of Jackson, Raji, Matthews, Brown and Rey Rey, with preference towards DL guys.

That said, you have to look at value as well as need. Like was being discussed above, if Crabtree falls to 12 you have to think hard about it out of sheer value. Same thing if Sanchez falls to 18 (though going QB in the first day of this draft is almost the last thing I want to do). If an offensive player is easily the best player available at a pick and he fits the system, then you have to pull the trigger.

So I think I could live with Wells or Moreno at 18. I'd probably be pissed for a few minutes, but I'd be happy to have an actual feature back for once. Though personally, if we want an RB I still think we should go after Shonn Green in the second round.

Dedhed
04-07-2009, 07:23 AM
I would have no problem with Crabtree or Sanchez at #12, although I would be worried if we picked 2 O guys in the first and I definitely wouldn't move up to draft anyone on that side of the ball.

I really don't think the talk about Orton is a smoke screen. I think that McDaniels has faith that a QB who makes good decisions can get a lot out of the talent that we already have in place.

This draft could really set up the defense for the future if we hit on some guys. I'm at least curious to see what Orton can do in this system, and if all he does is flail we're well set up to get a "franchise" guy next year.

cmhargrove
04-07-2009, 07:38 AM
If Crabtree slid to #12 we'd be foolish not to take him. He might bust but then so could anyone else, he also might be the next Larry Fitzgerald where Marshall gets to play Anquan Boldin 2.0. Adding Eddie Royal to the slot was a Wes Welker type in McDaniels's offense and we'd tear teams apart.

You just can't pass up that kind of value.

I don't like the idea of trading up unless we're grabbing Aaron Curry, and even then I'd be iffy on moving both firsts to do it. One of the thirds? Sure. Our 2nd? Probably. But not both firsts and even if we did move up for him I'd then want to trade back on the other first to add more picks.

But for offensive players in general, if Crabtree is at #12 you got to do it. If Wells is at #18 I think you have to as well.

I'm expecting us to grab Eric Wood, probably with our first 3rd. He's the second best OC in this class at handling big powerful DLs (like 3-4 NTs) behind Mack and he'll come at a much lower price. Weigmann will be retained, his agent seemed pretty sure they'd work something out, but he's only got another year or two left in him. Wood will be a perfect replacement.

Spot on, Drek! I couldn't agree more.

First round running backl have paid off for most teams the past couple seasons. Many of the higher profile backs have had an instantly successful transistion to the NFL.

A WR like Crabtree would be a great value at 12. And, the comparison to the Cardinals is perfect. We now have a thinker at QB, a decision maker, someone who will throw it away rather than throw a pick.

Surround him with s receiving corps built for YAC, and you have a real offense - like the Cards. Great comparison.

I'm not sold on Wells yet because I haven't seen him catch. You know that in McDaniel's offense, the RB needs to also be a receiver. It will be interesting to se what type of RB they do draft.

Bronco Boy
04-07-2009, 08:07 AM
I would rather they take D in the first couple rounds and get some RB/QB/WR depth in the later rounds.

Los Broncos
04-07-2009, 08:22 AM
I would lose my mind if we go offense Rd 1.

If we do, it will be the same old **** no pass rush!

QB stands back there forever....

Rohirrim
04-07-2009, 08:44 AM
The crucial missing element on this team is the defensive line. It has been for years. There's a guy on this board who's name is Needapassrush. He's been here for years and never had to change that name. The running game is the last piece you install, when everything else is where you want it. We have a solid offense, even with the loss of Cutler. The D is a wreck. This draft, the Broncos are positioned as well as they possibly could be. If Sanchez is there and McD thinks he is the value pick, sure. Crabtree? I don't see any hope of that. The best thing is if Sanchez and Freeman are on the board and McD doesn't want either of them. The phone will be ringing off the hook. He could pick up another first and third, conceivably. If Nolan thought he could work Peria into a 3-4 you could end up with Rey, Tyson and Peria, or Matthews or some other defensive combination. We could load up.

Traveler
04-07-2009, 09:08 AM
The team should be built from the inside out. The defensive line and linebacker should be addressed in the 1st round IMO.

Kaylore
04-07-2009, 09:22 AM
We need more help on our defense, but specifically our front seven. Our secondary is older as well and could use some speed and youth. However I don't think we should be locked into a "defense" only mindset while we draft. I think we need to take the best player available who can upgrade any position of need. If that's running back, tight end, quarterback, receiver - even offensive line, then you take him. I won't be upset with anyone we draft if they are good value for where we were selecting.

Elway777
04-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Two players I would consider in the first round are Maclin and Wells. Our spread offence would look nasty with Marshall,Royal and Maclin. Also Wells is a guy also to think about because Orton will need someone to take the pressure off him .

worm
04-07-2009, 09:53 AM
The single most important thing is that the 1st round picks are difference makers. If that is on offense...at any position...so be it.

Drek
04-07-2009, 10:21 AM
I'm not sold on Wells yet because I haven't seen him catch. You know that in McDaniel's offense, the RB needs to also be a receiver. It will be interesting to se what type of RB they do draft.

Wells would take a straight up ball carrier role if we were to acquire him.

Think about how McDaniels used Corey Dillon (only ok catching the ball) and Lawrence Maroney (couldn't catch a cold). They were about 20 carry per game backs who pounded it at people, and then they brought in guys like Kevin Faulk to be the change of pace types.

I said it in the Wells thread, you add someone like Beanie and give him 15-20 carries a game while letting Hillis play the single back and getting 10-15 carries and about 5 receptions per game. Let the winner of the Buchalter/Arrington battle pick up about 5 touches per game as well. You do that and we'd have a highly productive RB stable that takes the load off the QB quite well.

I think you could do the same with Moreno, but reworked a little differently so that both Moreno and Hillis are looking at about 15 carries and 5 catches a game, with the other backs having a more traditionally backup role. I'm not sure which situation I like more, though I've got to say that a two back formation with both Moreno and Hillis gives more than its fair share of audible variations and change-ups you can throw out there.

epicSocialism4tw
04-07-2009, 01:13 PM
You take the best player available, but I dont think that taking offense in the first round is what this franchise needs right now. It is absolutely LOADED with young talent on offense.

Northman
04-07-2009, 01:14 PM
I wouldnt be that happy with a QB taken in the first round. A RB however wont hurt my feelings.

LonghornBronco
04-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Only if Raji, Brown, and Orakpo at 12, and Maualuga, Jackson at 18 are off the board...

Then you consider Sanchez, Crabtree with 12, Macklin, or Wells at 18 get'em

Rohirrim
04-07-2009, 02:48 PM

look at the front 7 -

LB
Bailey/Moss -OLB
Doom/Reid/?

on the line
LE/UT - Thomas/Crowder/
NT - Fields/Powell
RE- ?/ Peterson

I think, when looking at this list of players, you also have to look at production over the last three years. It's been dismal. It doesn't really matter what their contract status is or how they look on paper, this unit needs an overhaul. The only way to accomplish that is to bring in new people and let them fight it out in camp. I guess it will depend on McD's overall outlook. For all we know, he has the same belief system as Shanahan: Defense and Special Teams are afterthoughts. If that's true, it won't be fun to watch. I hope I hear a predominance of defense on draft day. Of course, around here I've been doing that for years.

Gcver2ver3
04-07-2009, 03:07 PM

look at the front 7 -

LB
Bailey/Moss -OLB
Doom/Reid/?

on the line
LE/UT - Thomas/Crowder/
NT - Fields/Powell
RE- ?/ Peterson

as long as we add a good NT and another pass rusher i'm open to it...

OrangeRising
04-07-2009, 04:45 PM
Taking Sanchez wouldn't surprise me in he slightest. Taking Sanchez and then Beanie Wells at #18 would raise a lot of eyebrows, but would also probably be the best players available at those two drafting positions.

I'm guessing New York (Jets) will do whatever they have to to move up and take Sanchez if Sanchez slips past Seattle and San Francisco. In that event, I could see the Broncos selecting Beanie Wells at 12 and then the best defensive line player available at 18.

I really believe McDaniels would take Sanchez at 12 if he's there. If nothing else, it would quiet SOME of the clamor rising out of the Cutler trade AND Sanchez won't be under the gun to play right away.

One final suspicion is that McDaniels is raising the possibility of the Sanchez pick simply to get the Jets to bite on a deal that would deliver more high round picks, perhaps another second or third (this year, next year, whatever) in addition to the Jets' first rounder.

When you hear so much chatter about Bowlens' money issues, you begin to believe something is, in fact, going on there, and the 20-whatever pick will be a heck of lot less expensive than the #12. Just a thought.

randomtask
04-07-2009, 05:42 PM
I'd be okay with 1 first round pick being offense, but only if Raji, E. Brown, and (for the 2nd 1st rounder) Tyson Jackson/Jeria Perry are gone. Then I wouldn't mind either Crabtree (with the 1st 1st) or Moreno (with the 2nd 1st).

I personally would stay away from the quarterbacks in the first round. All of them have significant issues with their games.

Killericon
04-07-2009, 06:42 PM
More than you know.