PDA

View Full Version : What's the cost for a franchised player, say someone like Peppers?

Rulon Velvet Jones
04-04-2009, 12:32 PM
It's a 1st and a 3rd, right?

BroncoMan4ever
04-04-2009, 12:35 PM
not worth the money he wants

lostknight
04-04-2009, 12:51 PM
No, it's only a first and a third if he has signed the franchise tag. My understanding is that he has not.

Gcver2ver3
04-04-2009, 12:58 PM
no thanks...

if we want to trade for an expensive D-line vet....Shaun Rogers makes much more sense...

he wouldn't cost us a 1st rounder...his salary wouldn't cost as much...and quite frankly a pro bowl calibur NT is harder to find than a good edge rusher...

Peppers is 290 lbs so him playing 3-4 OLB is a gamble (although i think he could pull it off)...plus there are a good number of highly touted edge rushers in the draft...

hades
04-04-2009, 01:02 PM
100 billeeeeyun dollars

http://image.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2008/04/30/DrEvil1.jpg

houghtam
04-04-2009, 01:16 PM
I believe the actual cost for a non-exclusive franchise player is two first round picks. That cost is so high, however, that you rarely see a team paying that much. What usually happens is the franchising team signs the player to a contract agreed on by the player and the team he's headed to. In turn, the franchising player negotiates a trade deal with the team which is most often much less than the two first round pick requirement.

So if we wanted Peppers (not saying I do), we would likely negotiate a new contract with him, and then trade a first and a third, or whatever Denver and Carolina agree is a fair price.

I think that's pretty much how it works, but I could be a little off base.

BroncoMan4ever
04-04-2009, 01:42 PM
no thanks...

if we want to trade for an expensive D-line vet....Shaun Rogers makes much more sense...

he wouldn't cost us a 1st rounder...his salary wouldn't cost as much...and quite frankly a pro bowl calibur NT is harder to find than a good edge rusher...

Peppers is 290 lbs so him playing 3-4 OLB is a gamble (although i think he could pull it off)...plus there are a good number of highly touted edge rushers in the draft...

exactly, send the 3rd we got from Chicago to Cleveland and get Rodgers. then we don't have to gamble on hoping Raji can become a solid NT (if he is available at 12)

forget Peppers. he is NOT worth the picks to get him or the money he will want to play here

cutthemdown
04-04-2009, 02:06 PM
If we could get Peppers for the 18th pick skins gave us I would do it in a heartbeat. He's only 28, a great player, a sure thing really.

Broncos won't be full time 3-4 so IMO Peppers would play in both packages.

I'm not sold on him playing OLB in a 3-4 though but the coaches on the Broncos would no more then me if he fits a need.

If the Broncos think he's a good fit for what they will be trying to do I think he would be worth a first round pick.

Like people were saying many picks are busts. Get a sure thing like Peppers with one of them would seem to be smart IMO.

cutthemdown
04-04-2009, 02:06 PM
What makes people think Detroit will let Rogers go for a 3rd?

cutthemdown
04-04-2009, 02:08 PM
no thanks...

I totally disagree. I think Pro bowl pass rushers harder to find then big fat dudes to clog the middle.

Bronx33
04-04-2009, 02:10 PM
100 billeeeeyun dollars

http://image.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2008/04/30/DrEvil1.jpg

and a kidney..

lostknight
04-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Sorry, I still think we need safety and corner depth, not to mention any sort of talent up-front on the D-line before we add yet another linebacker.

Los Broncos
04-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Would it take 2 first round picks to get Peppers? just asking...

Bronx33
04-04-2009, 02:23 PM
How much playing time does peppers actually have left in the tanks?

chaz
04-04-2009, 02:53 PM
What makes people think Detroit will let Rogers go for a 3rd?

Mainly the fact that he plays for Cleveland now :P

But seriously, if Mangini wants him gone, he'll take a third...maybe another pick next year, maybe.

TDmvp
04-04-2009, 02:57 PM
pretty sure it's 2 first .... Peppers is old and no where near worth that ...

cutthemdown
04-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Mainly the fact that he plays for Cleveland now :P

But seriously, if Mangini wants him gone, he'll take a third...maybe another pick next year, maybe.

oops right. I just think a 3rd round pick sounds like a madden trade to me.

Gcver2ver3
04-04-2009, 08:42 PM
I totally disagree. I think Pro bowl pass rushers harder to find then big fat dudes to clog the middle.

not even close...

there are maybe 5 Pro Bowl calibur NTs...

many more pass rushers...

plus as i stated...Rogers would be cheaper in salary and draft compensation...

and again...the draft doesn't have a lot of quality NTs...but there are a large number of edge rushers that can we can choose from in the draft...

ohiobronco2
04-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Didn't a bunch of NT's/DT's go for a 3rd and a 5th last season. For some reason, I think it was Jenkins and Stroud. I don't see us getting Rogers for a mere 3rd.

broncos-rock
04-04-2009, 09:24 PM
I would like both Rogers from cleveland and peppers from carolina. The defense would definitely be top 15 next year!