PDA

View Full Version : What if you found your job on hotjobs?

robpco
04-04-2009, 10:06 AM
I manage employee services for a large IT supplier in Silicon Valley. Our client list is a who's who of the tech world. When a manager wants to see what the upgrade possibilities for a high end person (>200K) would be, we go to great lengths to keep the existing person unaware. I have my recruiters create fake names and fake company names to post the position. The news is kept within the group and protected like a state secret. All this is done to avoid problems that would happen if we could not find a suitable replacement.

Some people are super stars and others are average. Superstars in industry are treated like royalty. They get the big office, fat paychecks, long vacations, set their own working hours, and have very little management. They are prima donnas and it is accepted by everyone. If management does not make them happy they will leave. This is true for every major company in every major industry. The key to success for companies like Apple, Google, Intel and Cisco is to do everything possible to keep their stars happy. The treatment of top engineers at Cisco and Google would amaze most people on this board. I have never worked with a top talent that did not think of themselves as special. That is part of what makes someone a talent.

If any of you found your job posted on Hotjobs you would immediately start looking for a new one and your loyalty would be gone. This is human nature.

Spider
04-04-2009, 10:13 AM
cutler sucks

Bronkota
04-04-2009, 10:16 AM
you should have posted 94 more times before you started this....

robpco
04-04-2009, 10:16 AM
When teams line up to get him, and are willing to give up so much, your opinion is in the minority.

Rabb
04-04-2009, 10:18 AM
I like the point, but if you were a star at a place like that and had a new boss come in, that replaced a very popular boss and you started letting it affect your work behavior after that new boss entertained finding another person to fill the job instead of just working harder to prove to them, they don't need someone else then yeah...you sorta' deserve what is coming to you.

That is what I would do at least, and I happen to be an engineer for one of the largest telecommunications companies around and they treat us very well. I can speak from experience actually. They are going through major layoffs right now (everyone is, I know) and they recently let 2 guys out of 10 in my team go. The threat is looming that a new center in Argentina is opening and might replace some of our jobs. You know what I do? I bust my ass just like I always do, plus a little extra to make sure that when it comes down to it and they look for a reason to let me go (that is under my control) that there isn't one. Oh and we happen to have a new boss, replacing a guy we all loved for years who is being forced into retirement.

I am not making any of that up.

And it is hard to compare it to a glamorous engineering position versus hotjobs. For a guy like Jay his paycheck is written by himself...he is the only limit so another NFL team is hardly hot jobs.

I have no sympathy for Jay

Spider
04-04-2009, 10:19 AM
When teams line up to get him, and are willing to give up so much, your opinion is in the minority.

Not really , only the bears ponied up alot , Deadskins just wanted to trade Campbell , Jets ended up saying you got to be kidding , and Ozzie in Baltless wasnt even interested ......... 10 teams = hype

scttgrd
04-04-2009, 10:21 AM

People around here are pretty upset about this still. I thought it was just business? Lets get to drafting some pro-bowlers and winning playoff games.

oubronco
04-04-2009, 10:21 AM
man I made some fajitas last night and they were good

Flex Gunmetal
04-04-2009, 10:22 AM

Contract, son!

robpco
04-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Rabbitmasterflash, if a new manager came in and pissed off the talent and any organization, the manager would be re;placed immediately. I have seen this happen often.

Los Broncos
04-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Orton drinks to much.

Rabb
04-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Rabbitmasterflash, if a new manager came in and pissed off the talent and any organization, the manager would be re;placed immediately. I have seen this happen often.

if he pissed off all of the talent, sure

if he pissed off one guy, well I hate to say it but that is life and I too have seen it

hades
04-04-2009, 10:27 AM
If I found my job on Hotjobs, and it paid more than I currently make, I'd apply for it!

Spider
04-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Alright let me put it like this and see if it sinks in ......... you got a brand new medium for communications coming on line in a few short months , the main guy that will be running this is on vacation and not studying the specs , you do what as the CEO ?
yeah thought so .........

AtlantaBronco
04-04-2009, 10:30 AM

I've had to step in before when a new manager came in and tried to make changes when there didn't need to be changes made. I heard his reasoning and said "give it 45 days; if you still feel that way make the changes". 45 days later he realized what a mistake he would have made if he had gotten rid of the people and changed processes. Again, this is a situation where the people were exceeding expectations and the processes weren't broken. All he had to do was maintain the status quo but his ego got the best of him.

Killericon
04-04-2009, 10:31 AM
A stupid point if I've ever heard one.

Spider
04-04-2009, 10:32 AM
A stupid point if I've ever heard one.
Harsh , I thought I used some fancy words......

Spider
04-04-2009, 10:53 AM
huh.............

robpco
04-04-2009, 11:00 AM
To further this point read Geroge Karls interview in SI. All he talks about is managing the team. Pro coaches manage, management is the same no matter the industry. And good managers don't rock the boat. My concern is we have an imature coach who is clueless on management. Just because you are a O genius doesn't mean you have the necessary skills to manage. BTW, I'm not defending Cutler, he's acting like any other top talent would.

SureShot
04-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Nothing good can come from hashing this out over and over. As Apa said the deal is done time to cross your fingers and look towards the draft. Big bucks no whammies!

tsiguy96
04-04-2009, 11:01 AM
you talk like cutler was getting fired. he was talked about being traded because it would have been (and now officially has) for teh benefit of the entire team.

in this scenario, if i found out my job was on hotjobs, it would have been to send me to a new company so my company gets an IT tech and a new HR person as well as someone who can do my job.

Spider
04-04-2009, 11:02 AM
BTW, I'm not defending Cutler, he's acting like any other top talent would.

Bull**** .......bottom line ........

Spider
04-04-2009, 11:03 AM
orton is the one acting like a true professional .........

NYBronco
04-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Contract, son!

Exactly what I was thinking. Cutler had a contract to honor.

robpco
04-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Bull**** .......bottom line ........

I'm not defending cutler, I'm attacking the new coach for being an immature idiot. I think cutler is a baby and immature, but the coach should have risen above it instead of matching maturity levels. We are in for very tough times. No organization in the world can overcome bad management.

Spider
04-04-2009, 11:37 AM
I'm not defending cutler, I'm attacking the new coach for being an immature idiot. I think cutler is a baby and immature, but the coach should have risen above it instead of matching maturity levels. We are in for very tough times.

Bull**** , Cutler didnt even have his play book , trade talks are part of the deal , they happen to everyone all the time , even elway back in the 90's , Urlacher was even involved in trade talks a few short years ago ...... Cutler didnt want to be here , tried to play off mcD as the bad guy ... new system , He didnt even have his play book = had no intentions of being here .........Bowlen did the right thing ......... Ship Cutler off while his value is still high

robpco
04-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Then why was the coach still saying he wanted cutler the day he was traded? Was he lying?

Spider
04-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Then why was the coach still saying he wanted cutler the day he was traded? Was he lying?

huh ? It was Bowlen that traded Cutler not McD . peter king reported on that ......you dont try and **** the man that signs the Checks ......... you dont play mind games with Bowlen ........And speaking of lying .. Cutler I want to be traded .......errr I dont want ot be traded ...... those words came right out of Cutlers mouth

broncocalijohn
04-04-2009, 12:07 PM

I think you are not talking about Cutler but you saw the last episode of The Office and you are siding with Michael J Scott Paper Company.

Pony Boy
04-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Not much chance of finding my job listed on "Hotjobs" Is there a site call "not so hot jobs"

Popps
04-04-2009, 02:09 PM
I manage employee services for a large IT supplier in Silicon Valley. Our client list is a who's who of the tech world. When a manager wants to see what the upgrade possibilities for a high end person (>200K) would be, we go to great lengths to keep the existing person unaware. I have my recruiters create fake names and fake company names to post the position. The news is kept within the group and protected like a state secret. All this is done to avoid problems that would happen if we could not find a suitable replacement.

Some people are super stars and others are average. Superstars in industry are treated like royalty. They get the big office, fat paychecks, long vacations, set their own working hours, and have very little management. They are prima donnas and it is accepted by everyone. If management does not make them happy they will leave. This is true for every major company in every major industry. The key to success for companies like Apple, Google, Intel and Cisco is to do everything possible to keep their stars happy. The treatment of top engineers at Cisco and Google would amaze most people on this board. I have never worked with a top talent that did not think of themselves as special. That is part of what makes someone a talent.

If any of you found your job posted on Hotjobs you would immediately start looking for a new one and your loyalty would be gone. This is human nature.

Yea, well... you'll also find that whiney, crybaby mother****ers bounce around from job to job quite often. Most people in our facility are great people, but we've got a couple of malcontents, and they're oft-traveled.

Skill only takes you so far.

Pretty simple stuff. Jay moped his way out of town.

colonelbeef
04-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. Cutler had a contract to honor.

Cutler never said he was going to hold out. Not once.

Ratboy
04-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Want to get me a job in a few years? I might be looking.