PDA

View Full Version : T. Sheffler

db56
04-04-2009, 06:38 AM
Will Tony Sheffler ever develop into an every down TE? If he doesnt have the toughness to play every down and block as well as well as he runs and catches, isnt he a #3 or 4? Wr, any thoughts?

Victor
04-04-2009, 06:54 AM
I think that it will be interesting to see how Tony reacts from the Cutler trade. Does he sulk and pout his way out of town, or does he get in and do his work and learn the new system. I was hoping that Scott and Al asked the coach about Tony in yesterday's interview but it didn't happen.

If it's possible I think that Tony will be on a shorter leash than Cutler. If Sheffler even makes a funny face I expect to see him on an Amtrak out of town, traded to Green Bay so that he can face his buddy twice a year in the snow and sleet.

I think that he's talented, but injury prone. Stay healthy and Tony can play the Ben Watson role in the new offense.

Archer81
04-04-2009, 09:33 AM
I dont think Tony is injury prone. Just unlucky. If he is still around after the draft it should be interesting to see how he is used in the offense. Could be a different wrinkle for McDaniels to work with. A TE with a 16.1 YPC average is hard to find. Also, Tony has only missed 6 games in 3 years due to injury...

:Broncos:

theAPAOps5
04-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Seeing as how Tony is working out with his own trainer I don't think he's buying into it. Then again Steve Hess the Nuggets trainer has had great success with improving big men with past injury issues.

Victor
04-04-2009, 09:38 AM
I dont think Tony is injury prone. Just unlucky. If he is still around after the draft it should be interesting to see how he is used in the offense. Could be a different wrinkle for McDaniels to work with. A TE with a 16.1 YPC average is hard to find. Also, Tony has only missed 6 games in 3 years due to injury...

I didn't realize that...I thought that he had missed many more. Not too bad, but it would be nice to see him play the full 16. He is talented.

Archer81
04-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Seeing as how Tony is working out with his own trainer I don't think he's buying into it. Then again Steve Hess the Nuggets trainer has had great success with improving big men with past injury issues.

You know maybe its the extra weight. He does seem to have a problem with his ankles and feet, if he dropps to 240, 235 maybe he'd have fewer issues. If that happened, might as well make him a WR at that point.

Archer81
04-04-2009, 09:40 AM
I didn't realize that...I thought that he had missed many more. Not too bad, but it would be nice to see him play the full 16. He is talented.

He played 13 games year 1, 16 year 2 and 13 this past season. He is supremely talented, I think if he dropped some weight he may be giving his ankles and feet a break from the stress. Hes pretty fast for a bigger guy. If he drops weight, we can move him to WR and then we have 2 gigantic receivers who are impossible to cover consistently.

theAPAOps5
04-04-2009, 09:44 AM

What hurts Tony is he gets injured in Camp's. So while he doesn't miss games he misses valuable practice time. Remember last year he played with a torn groin. So he plays with pain and thus only missing 6 games.

Rabb
04-04-2009, 09:50 AM
I was wondering how far his solidarity would last with this also. The interesting part of this is the agent aspect. Jay showed his ass and got Scheff to skip the first meeting also...if Tony is not careful he will pay for Jay and Bus's chess moves. I have no doubt Bus told them both not to go to that first meeting, it just might not work out as well for Tony. To be honest, he probably realizes after last week that he needs Denver more than Denver needs him.

theAPAOps5
04-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Actually Scheffler showed up for the first team meeting just didn't work out. I am pretty sure he went so he could report back to Bus what McD was saying about "The Player"

Rabb
04-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Actually Scheffler showed up for the first team meeting just didn't work out. I am pretty sure he went so he could report back to Bus what McD was saying about "The Player"

ah sorry, I stand corrected...I must have been thinking the workout then

eddie mac
04-04-2009, 10:30 AM

I could have sworn I read somewhere he was back in the fold and training with the rest of the players.

theAPAOps5
04-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Oh if he is I missed that then. I could be wrong.

AtlantaBronco
04-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Scheff will get cut or traded to the Bears.

bombquixote
04-04-2009, 10:45 AM
I thought I read that he started working out with the team only a few days after workouts began. Just a quick blurb that was quickly lost in all the Cutler chaff.

I think Scheffler's a pretty good character guy, and although he's friends with Jay I don't think he's the sort to pout his way out of town because his friend got traded (or forced a trade). The real issue with him at this point is that McD's system doesn't utilize the TE much as a pass catcher. So at this point Tony is worth more to the Broncos as trade bait than as a player. Expect McD to trade him to the Texans or some other team that loves the TE for a pick before the draft. I'm guessing a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

worm
04-04-2009, 10:59 AM
I think he will go to the Bills on draft day if Pettigrew is gone by the time the Bills select in the 2nd.

Rabb
04-04-2009, 11:01 AM
there is no way we get a 2nd for Scheff

Popps
04-04-2009, 11:02 AM

I can't imagine we'd cut him, unless there are salary issues.

I'm not saying we won't trade him, but McDanielis hasn't said he's on the block. In fact, he compared his potential place in the offense to that of Watson in NE.

BroncoMan4ever
04-04-2009, 11:36 AM

also, hasn't he in recent days returned to facilities and is training with his teammates again?

a lot of guys work out with their own trainers, and then report, and according to a article someone posted on here, he is in the best shape he has been in, his entire NFL career

GoBroncos DownUnder
04-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Bears are already SET at Tight End, they don't need a #3 TE.

lostknight
04-04-2009, 11:53 AM
How pathetic is this. Do the Jay haters really have nothing better to do then report that Tony will get cut, just because he is Jay's friend.

What a bunch of snots.

He's training with the team. Hopefully McDaniel's has realized that can't give away any more offensive weapons. I think he has.

UberBroncoMan
04-04-2009, 12:02 PM
He played 13 games year 1, 16 year 2 and 13 this past season. He is supremely talented, I think if he dropped some weight he may be giving his ankles and feet a break from the stress. Hes pretty fast for a bigger guy. If he drops weight, we can move him to WR and then we have 2 gigantic receivers who are impossible to cover consistently.

That's exactly what I want. On top of that Scheffler can still audible into a TE spot. Would just add more confusion to opposing defenses. Also, while his blocking isn't the best in the world for a TE, it would be pretty damn good at WR for screens and the like.

Marshall - Scheffler - Royal (slot) - would be very hard to defend.

add in Stokely, Gaffney, Jackson and we're looking solid.

broncos-rock
04-04-2009, 12:05 PM
I read that he had been training with Steve Hess of the Nuggets and is really in great shape!

Florida_Bronco
04-04-2009, 12:18 PM
I could have sworn I read somewhere he was back in the fold and training with the rest of the players.

Yes, that is true.

Garcia Bronco
04-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Injury prone Tone might not make it through training camp.

Garcia Bronco
04-04-2009, 01:14 PM
How pathetic is this. Do the Jay haters really have nothing better to do then report that Tony will get cut, just because he is Jay's friend.

What a bunch of snots.

He's training with the team. Hopefully McDaniel's has realized that can't give away any more offensive weapons. I think he has.

He's going to get traded or cut because he's weak sauce and everybody, including TS, knows it. It has nothing to do with Chicago Barbie.

BroncoMan4ever
04-04-2009, 01:37 PM
That's exactly what I want. On top of that Scheffler can still audible into a TE spot. Would just add more confusion to opposing defenses. Also, while his blocking isn't the best in the world for a TE, it would be pretty damn good at WR for screens and the like.

Marshall - Scheffler - Royal (slot) - would be very hard to defend.

add in Stokely, Gaffney, Jackson and we're looking solid.

that would relegate him to being a number 5 receiver behind Marshall, Royal, Stokley, and Gaffney and of practically no use.

i also think that with the QB situation, with neiter of the guys we have having the big time arm, that Hillis and Scheff are needed more now, than they would have been with Jay.
Orton will use a lot of short passes to his TE and passes out of the backfield, because he lacks the arm strength to consistantly go downfield.

also moving him to WR would only be of any use in the red zone and goal line situations because while he is fast for a TE, he is slow for a receiver, also in jumbo packages where he can use his size and strength to go up for a ball, as opposed to being a downfield threat is what he would be as a WR.