PDA

View Full Version : Nose Tackles?

lex
04-03-2009, 11:58 PM
Who do you think would be good? Have you seen them play? Where are they worth draftin?

I see guys like Knighton and Baker on the ascent. But I also see guys like Dorrell Scott and Terrance Taylor being thrown around. Another one is Sammie Lee Hill. But at the top of most lists, of course, is Brace and Raji.

One thing that has me worried though is whether their draft value is distorted too much by having a good or bad year in 2008. For example, last year you had Balmer who was a one year wonder. Just out of curiosity I dug up the old PFW preseason guide. Here is how they ranked the top DTs (not nose tackles):

1. Peria Jerry
2. Terrance Taylor
3. Evander Hood
4. Alex McGee
5. Vance Walker
6. Jeff Owens
7. George Hypolite
8. Darryl Richard
9. B.J. Raji
10. Dorrell Scott
11. Roy Miller
12. Fili Moala
13. Clinton McDonald
14. Jeremy Navarre
15. Rashaad Jackson

Obviously, this is somewhat problematic because theyre only grouped as DTs and not NTs seperately. This is something to consider when draftniks like McShay, or whoever, says this is a C+ DT class. Lumping them together can be misleading where NT skill sets are concerned. Of the above names, I think Owens was injured this year and also Raji was likely lower because he couldnt play last year. But for the most part, do you think their body of work prior to this past season is more representative of what their all about? For example, I know that Taylor lost some weight this past season at the behest of his new coach and struggled to hold the point because of it. But before this past season, he was ranked as the second best senior DT. Also, Ron Brace wasnt even on that list. I realize this isnt the end all be all publication.

One of the factors to consider, I suppose, is whether or not a player can play this year and if not, whether some other player who's rougher around the edges will be better in a year with coaching. This is one of the things I wonder about with Brace. Im really curious to see the upgrade in Nunnally over Burney for this reason as well. Has anyone heard any status reports on Carlton Powell? He's essentially a rookie but he was really stout at the point. How does everyone feel about addressing NT?

s0phr0syne
04-04-2009, 03:23 AM
Here's a possible NT candidate (based on measurables of ht. and wt., and sadly nothing else): Canada's Vaughn Martin.

I just came across this article scanning through draftdaddy

http://lfpress.ca/cgi-bin/publish.cgi?p=261847&x=articles&s=university_sports

FOOTBALL: Nearly a dozen teams have expressed an interest is defensive lineman Vaughn Martin

NFL awake to Western's 'sleeper'

Morris Dalla Costa
London Free Press
April 3, 2009

In baseball's olden days, it would have been called a good, old-fashioned barnstorming tour.

Today, it's Vaughn Martin's travel itinerary and it might wind up delivering a National Football League contract.

Monday in Carolina, Tuesday in San Diego and during the next few weeks there will be stops in Miami, St. Louis, Cleveland, Indianapolis and likely more meetings in additional cities.

The 22-year-old Western Mustangs defensive lineman has spent a great deal of the winter working out and being worked out leading up to the April 25 NFL draft.

Judging by the interest, it at least could lead to a free-agent contract or it may get the six-foot-four 327-pounder selected in one of the draft's seven rounds.

"I'm not even thinking about what's going to happen," Martin said. "I'm just going to do the best I can and see what the results are. This doesn't really surprise me. I expected to do well. I let everyone else worry about everything else."

Martin is an underclassman, declaring for the draft before his graduating year. If he doesn't sign a contract and doesn't make a team, he can return to university football. An American underclassman who declares loses that eligibility.

Martin is in his second year of university football. Some NFL discussion sites call Martin a "sleeper" or "intriguing." Interest in Martin has expanded from a few teams to about 10.

The NFL rules governing testing and tryouts are stringent. Martin has worked out for the Detroit Lions and Cleveland Browns among others. The Indianapolis Colts are coming to London tomorrow for further testing.

During the next few weeks, Martin will be flown -- at NFL teams' expense -- to meet the coaching and management staff and be interviewed. Each team has a limited number of players they are allowed to bring in to visit.

"When we started, there were a couple of teams interested, but since we posted Vaughn's testing numbers on the NFL database for the teams, a lot of people are taking an interest," said Matt Baxter, who represents Martin with Enter-Sports Management of Atlanta. "As late as (Tuesday) we heard from Philadelphia and Minnesota and they wanted his game films."

NFL teams that show this much interest in a Canadian player usually sign him to a free-agent contract rather than use a draft pick. However, when so many show interest, a team may take the player late in the draft to avoid a bidding war.

Some teams were hoping Martin would fly under the radar. His testing scores, size and the fact it isn't a particularly rich crop of defensive lineman coming out of university this year, made hiding Martin more difficult.

"He tested well," said Jeff Watson, the Mustangs training and strength coach. "He has the physical gifts. His skill and technique probably need work because he's so young.

"He's strong. He's learning he has to go hard all the time. His learning curve is sharp when it comes to that."

Morris Dalla Costa is a Free Press sports columnist.

PRBronco
04-04-2009, 02:17 PM
I think Terrance Taylor would be worth drafting in the 4th or 5th. Sounds like he was pretty disappointing at the shrine game, but I mean, before his senior year when he dropped weight, he was a good nose tackle for a long time and is crazy strong, like 680 pound squat and deadlifts IIRC. Also he was a very successful high school wrestler, which is cool, kelly gregg style. Oh yeah and he has long arms for a short guy, that never hurts.

Check out Marlin Favorite from LSU too, might be worth picking up in the 7th or as a UDFA.

Regarding Vaughn Martin, this is always fun:
<object width="480" height="295">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/koiYOwnpOTo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></object>