PDA

View Full Version : Browns - Quinn could still be traded

RADRHATR
04-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Via KFFl:

Tony Grossi, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports the Cleveland Browns may still trade QB Brady Quinn before the 2009 NFL Draft.

Quinn would look good in Blue & Orange and the offense, What is McDaniels waiting for?

theAPAOps5
04-03-2009, 08:56 PM
He thinks Orton will be better. And can you doubt him? Orton played the spread in college and has a winning record in the NFL. Something Quinn nor Cutleaf have.

Florida_Bronco
04-03-2009, 08:59 PM
I would go for Quinn if he could be had for a reasonable price.

broncobum6162
04-03-2009, 09:02 PM
No more than a 2nd since we have Orton

spdirty
04-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Id stick with Plummer v2.

Pony Boy
04-03-2009, 09:06 PM
He thinks Orton will be better. And can you doubt him? Orton played the spread in college and has a winning record in the NFL. Something Quinn nor Cutleaf have.

I say give Orton a shot this season, if it works out thatís great. If it doesn't then go after Brady or McCoy next year and bundle draft picks if needed to get one of them.

Drek
04-03-2009, 09:06 PM
If they'd swap him for Scheffler straight up I'd do it. Thats about it though.

broncofan2438
04-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Prob wont happen

SonOfLe-loLang
04-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Id stick with Plummer v2.

He's actually the complete opposite of plummer other than the facial hair.

SoDak Bronco
04-03-2009, 09:10 PM
I think if McD wanted Quinn we would have him today instead of Orton. We took the Bears in part bc he liked him over any other available QB.

theAPAOps5
04-03-2009, 09:12 PM
I think if McD wanted Quinn we would have him today instead of Orton. We took the Bears in part bc he liked him over any other available QB.

Actually the baby was too scared to play for Mangini. Makes sense as Cook was Favres agent too. So they wouldn't deal as the baby would pull the same thing.

Florida_Bronco
04-03-2009, 09:12 PM
If they'd swap him for Scheffler straight up I'd do it. Thats about it though.

Personally, I want to keep Scheffler. He should be great in McDaniel's offense.

I'd happily send a 3rd to Cleveland for Quinn, with an option for it to become a conditional 2nd. I really like Orton as a person and think he will be a decent hold the fort guy, but he's not what I'd like to see running my team in the long term. Neither is Chris Simms for that matter.

RADRHATR
04-03-2009, 09:13 PM

Not true- Cutler wanted no part of Mangini so therefore a deal could not be done with the Browns.

BroncoFiend
04-03-2009, 09:13 PM

Not sure about that. If the report about Cutler refusing to play for Mangini is accurate, then we may not have had the option of getting Quinn.

broncos-rock
04-03-2009, 09:17 PM
We don't want Quinn because he has some clause in his contract that if he plays 80% of the snaps he makes an 11 million bonus. Plus I don't think Jay had a say in where they traded him because he wouldnt answer his damn phone!

DBroncos4life
04-03-2009, 09:21 PM
This fan base turned on Griese, then turned on Plummer, then we had a QB that was 25 years old coming off a Pro Bowl year and I don't know if anyone has read what our fan base had to say about him over the last two weeks. How long do you really think poor Kyle Orton is going to last here?

Gcver2ver3
04-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Quinn is just a muscular, homosexual version of Kyle Orton anyway if you think about it...

i say stick with O...

spdirty
04-03-2009, 09:23 PM
He's actually the complete opposite of plummer

I'm not talking about Cuter, I'm talking about Orton.

theAPAOps5
04-03-2009, 09:24 PM

So is he

SonOfLe-loLang
04-03-2009, 09:32 PM

Plummer was a gunslinger that often made poor decisions and excelled when he only had to concentrate on a read or two (why he was more effective outside the pocket). A brain surgeon he wasnt.

Orton is a cerebral pocket passer who doesn't lose games with mental mistakes. He might not make the spectacular play, but he takes what's given to him.

Their personalities might be somewhat similar, but their games arent at all.

BroncsRule
04-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Orton is like a hairy Griese.

Now With Added Moxie!!

Rohirrim
04-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Wouldn't the best "fit" (so to speak) for Quinn be SF? I'm not sayin...

ghwk
04-03-2009, 09:35 PM
This fan base turned on Griese, then turned on Plummer, then we had a QB that was 25 years old coming off a Pro Bowl year and I don't know if anyone has read what our fan base had to say about him over the last two weeks. How long do you really think poor Kyle Orton is going to last here?

I think the expectations are low for Orton after Cutler so I think he will get some time and surprise us a bit. Let me flip the question, how much more time were you willing to give Cutler Barbie before you started thinking you were always holding the lottery ticket that was one number short?

Rohirrim
04-03-2009, 09:37 PM

:rofl:

Hey! We forgot!

Cutler for Orton.

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/watchdog/blog/lombardi_trophy3.jpg

DBroncos4life
04-03-2009, 10:02 PM
I think the expectations are low for Orton after Cutler so I think he will get some time and surprise us a bit. Let me flip the question, how much more time were you willing to give Cutler Barbie before you started thinking you were always holding the lottery ticket that was one number short?

if we gave him a NFL D and he still couldn't win then it was over for him.

cutthemdown
04-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Personally, I want to keep Scheffler. He should be great in McDaniel's offense.

I'd happily send a 3rd to Cleveland for Quinn, with an option for it to become a conditional 2nd. I really like Orton as a person and think he will be a decent hold the fort guy, but he's not what I'd like to see running my team in the long term. Neither is Chris Simms for that matter.

Really? I like Scheff but Mcdaniels prefers 3 wr and a blocking TE. Seems like Graham will be the man and Sheff wont see field but maybe 20-30% of the time, if that.

I think if we can get a 3rd round pick or higher we should move Sheff, then draft a bigger TE to replace him with.

Florida_Bronco
04-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Really? I like Scheff but Mcdaniels prefers 3 wr and a blocking TE. Seems like Graham will be the man and Sheff wont see field but maybe 20-30% of the time, if that.

I think if we can get a 3rd round pick or higher we should move Sheff, then draft a bigger TE to replace him with.

That's false my friend. Check out Drek's previous posts on the matter and he'll show that McDaniels made great use of Ben Watson in the passing game.

cutthemdown
04-03-2009, 10:16 PM
That's false my friend. Check out Drek's previous posts on the matter and he'll show that McDaniels made great use of Ben Watson in the passing game.

My point wasn't that TE doesn't get used in his offense, but more that you don't see alot of 2 TE sets. I think Graham fits what he wants to do more then Scheff.

No doubt he would use Sheff. My point is more that I don't think it would be enough to really make use of Scheffler's ability to get downfield.

If Graham plays on first and 2nd downs, and Scheff was only used in certain packages, and sometimes to spell Graham, would that be enough for a player as good as him, or would Broncos be better off trading him?

Now a good argument can be made that Mcdaniels will like Scheffs speed and ability to get open and change a little from what he was doing in NE. Maybe a little more 2 TE sets, and instead of 3 WR maybe split Sheff out there more then they did in NE.

For sure though Mcdaniels will utilize the TE.

Florida_Bronco
04-03-2009, 10:21 PM
My point wasn't that TE doesn't get used in his offense, but more that you don't see alot of 2 TE sets. I think Graham fits what he wants to do more then Scheff.

No doubt he would use Sheff. My point is more that I don't think it would be enough to really make use of Scheffler's ability to get downfield.

If Graham plays on first and 2nd downs, and Scheff was only used in certain packages, and sometimes to spell Graham, would that be enough for a player as good as him, or would Broncos be better off trading him?

Now a good argument can be made that Mcdaniels will like Scheffs speed and ability to get open and change a little from what he was doing in NE. Maybe a little more 2 TE sets, and instead of 3 WR maybe split Sheff out there more then they did in NE.

Watson is basically the exact same skillset as Scheffler.

broncswin
04-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Before all this went down, I wanted Quinn, but the more I read about Orton and think about it, I would rather have Orton:

21-12 as a starter

Extremely hard worker comes at a much cheaper price tag

We save those precious draft picks for our D and maybe bolster up the TB position with a 3rd round guy:~ohyah!:

Punisher
04-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Please sticky both of the Quinn threads

Drek
04-04-2009, 12:07 PM

You can't stereotype McDaniels' offense based on just the '07 and '08 seasons. He was the play caller there since '05 and was officially the OC in '06. They were a very different team then.

He coaches to the talent he's got. Back when he had both Watson and Graham he used two TE sets frequently, with Graham as a 6th blocker and short yardage option and Watson often being set in motion or split out. Watson had some of his best years then, despite being inconsistently healthy. People felt about him then what we feel about Scheffler now, that he's on the verge of becoming an elite receiving TE.

Without Graham Watson's role as a deep target diminished since there wasn't a reliable #1 TE for him to play off of in the two TE set.

I wouldn't be surprised if McDaniels is looking forward to putting that wrinkle back into his offense now that he'll have Graham and Scheffler. Unless of course someone makes an impressive offer for Scheff, like an early 3rd or better. Then you got to take it, because we have other options on offense and we need some serious shoring up on defense ASAP.

Wes Mantooth
04-04-2009, 12:11 PM
why would they want to trade him?

Paladin
04-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Wouldn't the best "fit" (so to speak) for Quinn be SF? I'm not sayin...

ROFL!

Actually, people keep talking about Orton's "short arms". Compared to the Baby, maybe so, but that may not be an issue. It has to do with the scheme being played. IIRC, there was a Faider QB ( who was a mullet previously) who absolutely cut teams apart and reached the SB with the short and medium passing game. As McD says, there are many ways a Team can win football games. I think they both deserve a shot, and I would encourage the Broncos to not trade for Quinn.........

socalorado
04-04-2009, 12:24 PM

I agreee with Dreks post, but i also think Shefflers played his last game in DEN.

ScottXray
04-04-2009, 01:34 PM
All I know is that I haven't seen any articles anywhere about Quinn making any statements about how disappointed he is the Cleveland is talking about trading him, and that he was gonna take his ball home and not play for a while.

Not saying that I want him here...just mentioning how grown ups react to business decisions that affect them.

Florida_Bronco
04-04-2009, 01:52 PM
I agreee with Dreks post, but i also think Shefflers played his last game in DEN.

Why do you think that?

Florida_Bronco
04-04-2009, 01:52 PM
All I know is that I haven't seen any articles anywhere about Quinn making any statements about how disappointed he is the Cleveland is talking about trading him, and that he was gonna take his ball home and not play for a while.

Not saying that I want him here...just mentioning how grown ups react to business decisions that affect them.

Quinn has also been a bench warmer. Just saying.

Merlin
04-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Quinn has also been a bench warmer. Just saying.
You mean Mangini didn't tell him how excited he was to work with him, and then misrepresent the facts about trades after his lies came out. You mean Quinn is not a Probowl QB that carried his team to 8 wins despite no 7 IR RBs and a putrid D and lousy STs?

I'm sorry, you must have something wrong there.

TonyR
04-04-2009, 02:48 PM
...IIRC, there was a Faider QB ( who was a mullet previously) who absolutely cut teams apart and reached the SB with the short and medium passing game.

Rich Gannon. That Raider offense KILLED us that year.

BabyTO
04-04-2009, 03:02 PM
21-12 as a starter
Funny how he struggled to keep his job in Chicago, year in year out. Maybe it's because ANY ****IN QB could have done the same exact thing over there with the running game that they were having, combined with the defense and Devin Hester on special teams.

tsiguy96
04-04-2009, 03:04 PM
You mean Mangini didn't tell him how excited he was to work with him, and then misrepresent the facts about trades after his lies came out. You mean Quinn is not a Probowl QB that carried his team to 8 wins despite no 7 IR RBs and a putrid D and lousy STs?

I'm sorry, you must have something wrong there.

quinn didnt like himself in his room after his coach did his job: look at all the options and do whats best for the team. quinn is not the only player on the browns team :afro:

BMarsh615
04-04-2009, 03:40 PM
We don't want Quinn because he has some clause in his contract that if he plays 80% of the snaps he makes an 11 million bonus. Plus I don't think Jay had a say in where they traded him because he wouldnt answer his damn phone!

I think the Browns were scared of trading for Cutler if he didn't want to go there. He did cry his way out of Denver.

broncswin
04-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Funny how he struggled to keep his job in Chicago, year in year out. Maybe it's because ANY ****IN QB could have done the same exact thing over there with the running game that they were having, combined with the defense and Devin Hester on special teams.

Apparently not brother, the only reason Orton was replaced last year was due to an ankle injury that he tried to play on....which earned major respect from his teammates. Ask Urlacher what he thinks of Orton, to gain his respect means your a tough SOB. :thumbs:

broncos-rock
04-04-2009, 04:24 PM
I think the Browns were scared of trading for Cutler if he didn't want to go there. He did cry his way out of Denver.

You honestly believe if the package was better from cleveland that they would care if Jay would be disgruntled. I would have loved to see that!

DBroncos4life
04-04-2009, 05:21 PM
I would rather have Anderson then Quinn.

lex
04-04-2009, 05:26 PM
You honestly believe if the package was better from cleveland that they would care if Jay would be disgruntled. I would have loved to see that!

I think it was Cleveland who nixed the deal. I thought once Mangini heard that there might be a problem (because of what happened in NY with Favre), he said screw it and called the deal off.

broncos-rock
04-04-2009, 06:59 PM
I think it was Cleveland who nixed the deal. I thought once Mangini heard that there might be a problem (because of what happened in NY with Favre), he said screw it and called the deal off.

Now that I believe, I just don't buy this bs that Bowlen would care what jay would want.

oubronco
04-04-2009, 07:28 PM
**** Quinn he sucks

lex
04-04-2009, 07:34 PM

I dont think grown ups are above being bitter towards people. Also, Quinn hasnt even solidified himself as a starter, let alone make a pro bowl.

U GOT JACKED UP
04-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Trade Idea: Broncos get Quinn, Rogers, and 5th overall pick and Browns get 18th, 12th, and Tony Scheffler. Maybe add a third.

Just throwing this idea out there to see what people think. Possibly draft Orakpo at 5 and Jarron Gilbert with our second.

Thoughts?

NFLBRONCO
04-04-2009, 09:04 PM
No

Swedish Extrovert
04-04-2009, 09:09 PM

Now With Added Moxie!!

I was thinking....

Concerning the skill set.... Orton = Griese
Concerning intangibles.... Orton = Plummer

cutthemdown
04-04-2009, 09:14 PM

Well he got injured last yr. Honestly he was taking a beating in all those seasons. It's tough to make plays at qb when most of the time the team runs. When they did throw it was mostly pretty predictable. Then when he did get to throw he got a lot of pressure, and got sacked a lot.

Cutlers a good scrambler, I'm thinking he will do that more this yr then last.

baja
04-04-2009, 10:07 PM
He's gonna be a much better player in Chicago, he will be able to put his gunslinger play on display something he was never going to be able to do in McDs system. Come to think about it maybe he realized that in the two weeks working to learn the McD system and set in motion a plan to move on.

If that is what happened everyone is better off.

Broncoman13
04-04-2009, 10:11 PM
I think you're giving Cutler too much credit Baja.

I do agree that both "the player" and the Broncos are better off with the trade. Now all we have to do it hit on the picks. Should make for a fun draft day!

baja
04-04-2009, 10:24 PM
<b>I think you're giving Cutler too much credit Baja. </b>

I do agree that both "the player" and the Broncos are better off with the trade. Now all we have to do it hit on the picks. Should make for a fun draft day!

I don't know, how hard is it for Cutler to hear McDs rap about "Team first" and realize his Bret Farve act was not a good fit here and angle for this trade he got. I mean he basically squelched a possible better deal with the Browns and Quinn and found his way to play for his favorite team.