PDA

View Full Version : My Post-Cutler Mock

mattob14
04-03-2009, 04:59 PM
With a tough schedule in 2009 and the amount of turnover that's occurred this off-season, I think 2009 is going to be a rebuilding year. With that in mind, I'd prefer to stockpile picks, add as much talent as possible, then target specific players to fill the remaining holes next off-season.

My perfect draft:

Trade- #12, #114, and a 2010 pick to Philly for #21 and #28. Including a 2010 3rd rounder in the deal would bring this within around 100 points on the value chart and would give Philly a shot at a franchise LT. Denver gets a 3rd first rounder to rebuild.

Draft:
#18- Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU- Jackson could go anywhere from #13 to the end of round 1, but would look great in Orange and Blue. He's a ready-made 3-4 DE who could start from day 1 and be a building block for the new DL.

#21- Connor Barwin, OLB, Cincinnatti- One of my favorite players in the draft, Barwin is raw, but could develop into a great OLB in the 3-4. #21 is somewhat of a reach for him, but I believe we need to grab him before NE does.

#28- Donald Brown, RB, UConn- The Broncos seem intent on adding a RB this year, and Brown's a good one. He's got decent size and speed, and can catch the ball out of the backfield. He'd help take the heat off of Orton as well.

#48- Sean Smith, DB, Utah- I'm surprised that Smith's stock isn't higher than this, but most reports have him in the mid-2nd. Smith could come in and serve as the big Nickle for a year or two while learning from an experienced unit, then take over as a starting Safety.

#79- Eric Wood, C, Louisville- A big, physical Center, Wood would complete what looks to be an excellent young OL. Wood, Kuper, Harris, Lichtenstieger, and Clady would be as good as any young OL in the game.

#84- Jasper Brinkley, ILB, USC- Brinkley's a huge ILB who's physical play compliments DJ and Davis. Another traditional 3-4 player, Brinkley was once considered a first round prospect, but is just now showing signs of being fully recovered from a serious knee injury.

#149- Austin Collie, WR, BYU- Collie's been discussed here before, but he's got good size, can run routes, and has good hands. He'd fit well as a #3 or #4 WR in McD's offense.

#185- Todd Boeckman, QB, OSU- Boeckman seems to fit the mold of previous NE QB's- good size, comes from a quality program, but is underexposed for various reasons. In this case, Boeckman had a solid Junior year, then was benched in favor of Pryor as a Senior. He showed strong leadership skills after being benched and seems to be a good teammate. He'd be a nice option to develop behind Orton and Simms.

#225- Gartrell Johnson, RB, CSU- My homer pick, Johnson's a versatile back who could play FB or HB for Denver. If nothing else, he's another hard-running back who can get the tough yards.

#235- Sam Swank, K, Wake- Once highly regarded, Swank struggled as a Senior. He's quality competition for Prater and also has a big leg.

This addresses the bulk of our needs and sets us up to target specific needs with our 2 1sts next year. Cody and Bradford would be my two choices, and have the potential to provide impact at two crucial positions.

BroncoMan4ever
04-03-2009, 05:34 PM
i say trade 12 and a later round pick to Detroit for 20 and 33. if they take Stafford at 1, they will need a LT and 12 is a really good place to be if they want one of the last remaining top shelf LT in this draft

and with 18, 20 and 33. i say go after Wells at 18, Jackson at 20, and Barwin at 33

ayjackson
04-03-2009, 05:58 PM
With a tough schedule in 2009 and the amount of turnover that's occurred this off-season, I think 2009 is going to be a rebuilding year. With that in mind, I'd prefer to stockpile picks, add as much talent as possible, then target specific players to fill the remaining holes next off-season.

My perfect draft:

Trade- #12, #114, and a 2010 pick to Philly for #21 and #28. Including a 2010 3rd rounder in the deal would bring this within around 100 points on the value chart and would give Philly a shot at a franchise LT. Denver gets a 3rd first rounder to rebuild.

Draft:
#18- Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU- Jackson could go anywhere from #13 to the end of round 1, but would look great in Orange and Blue. He's a ready-made 3-4 DE who could start from day 1 and be a building block for the new DL.

#21- Connor Barwin, OLB, Cincinnatti- One of my favorite players in the draft, Barwin is raw, but could develop into a great OLB in the 3-4. #21 is somewhat of a reach for him, but I believe we need to grab him before NE does.

#28- Donald Brown, RB, UConn- The Broncos seem intent on adding a RB this year, and Brown's a good one. He's got decent size and speed, and can catch the ball out of the backfield. He'd help take the heat off of Orton as well.

#48- Sean Smith, DB, Utah- I'm surprised that Smith's stock isn't higher than this, but most reports have him in the mid-2nd. Smith could come in and serve as the big Nickle for a year or two while learning from an experienced unit, then take over as a starting Safety.

#79- Eric Wood, C, Louisville- A big, physical Center, Wood would complete what looks to be an excellent young OL. Wood, Kuper, Harris, Lichtenstieger, and Clady would be as good as any young OL in the game.

#84- Jasper Brinkley, ILB, USC- Brinkley's a huge ILB who's physical play compliments DJ and Davis. Another traditional 3-4 player, Brinkley was once considered a first round prospect, but is just now showing signs of being fully recovered from a serious knee injury.

#149- Austin Collie, WR, BYU- Collie's been discussed here before, but he's got good size, can run routes, and has good hands. He'd fit well as a #3 or #4 WR in McD's offense.

#185- Todd Boeckman, QB, OSU- Boeckman seems to fit the mold of previous NE QB's- good size, comes from a quality program, but is underexposed for various reasons. In this case, Boeckman had a solid Junior year, then was benched in favor of Pryor as a Senior. He showed strong leadership skills after being benched and seems to be a good teammate. He'd be a nice option to develop behind Orton and Simms.

#225- Gartrell Johnson, RB, CSU- My homer pick, Johnson's a versatile back who could play FB or HB for Denver. If nothing else, he's another hard-running back who can get the tough yards.

#235- Sam Swank, K, Wake- Once highly regarded, Swank struggled as a Senior. He's quality competition for Prater and also has a big leg.

This addresses the bulk of our needs and sets us up to target specific needs with our 2 1sts next year. Cody and Bradford would be my two choices, and have the potential to provide impact at two crucial positions.

Thanks. Saved me the effort. Perfect.

gyldenlove
04-03-2009, 07:35 PM
That is the most sensible suggestion thus far.

gunns
04-03-2009, 07:45 PM
A change. #235, Louie Sakoda, K, Utah

bpc
04-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Sean Smith is a dark horse for our #18 pick, he'll probably never make it past Pittsburgh at #32. Too much skill there.

Personally I think we'll be looking to trade back with Detroit and Philly at both of our #1's.

Philly will covet #12 for Andre Smith and Detroit will most likely want to move to #18 to move ahead of Philly for any OT that falls past #15.

Tyson Jackson, Everette Brown, Donald Brown, Michael Johnson, Sean Smith, Connor Barwin and Larry English are just a shortlist of whom i'm looking at in round 1.

worm
04-03-2009, 08:42 PM
I really think Tyson will be the pick at #12.

mattob14
04-04-2009, 09:37 AM
i say trade 12 and a later round pick to Detroit for 20 and 33. if they take Stafford at 1, they will need a LT and 12 is a really good place to be if they want one of the last remaining top shelf LT in this draft

and with 18, 20 and 33. i say go after Wells at 18, Jackson at 20, and Barwin at 33

Detroit or Philly both work. The value's pretty equal and both will have a big need at OT. I'd be happy with Wells, Jackson and Barwin.

mattob14
04-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Sean Smith is a dark horse for our #18 pick, he'll probably never make it past Pittsburgh at #32. Too much skill there.

I agee with you, but every mock I see has him listed in the late-1st to mid-2nd range. #48 may well be a pipe dream for Smith, but he'd be a great fit in our secondary.

Personally I think we'll be looking to trade back with Detroit and Philly at both of our #1's.

Philly will covet #12 for Andre Smith and Detroit will most likely want to move to #18 to move ahead of Philly for any OT that falls past #15.

Agreed 100%. I actually started a thread about this yesterday- I think #12 and #18 will both be hot spots for teams looking for an OT.

Tyson Jackson, Everette Brown, Donald Brown, Michael Johnson, Sean Smith, Connor Barwin and Larry English are just a shortlist of whom i'm looking at in round 1.

Agreed again, English was a guy I really considered at #21 and Johsnson's one I would look at if Barwin and English were off the board.

chaz
04-04-2009, 10:45 AM
The best mock I've seen so far...would be unreal if it happened

UberBroncoMan
04-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Todd Boeckman is a bit old to draft for the future. He's going to be 25 this year... 1 year younger than Jay. Odds are he wouldn't see the field till at least 27 or even 28.

mattob14
04-04-2009, 11:53 AM
The best mock I've seen so far...would be unreal if it happened

Thanks Chaz!

mattob14
04-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Todd Boeckman is a bit old to draft for the future. He's going to be 25 this year... 1 year younger than Jay. Odds are he wouldn't see the field till at least 27 or even 28.

I think age is overrated. Collie's an older prospect too (he'll be 24 this year), but we can still get 6 or 8 good years out of these guys. A lot of QB's really don't turn the corner until they're close to 30 anyway.